Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 148 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 148 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


6, 1888, Mr. VanKeuren married Catherine E. VanNess, a daughter of P. V. and
Celia (Eeynolds) VanNess, to which union have been bom two children, Ealph
H. and Helen. In politics, Mr. VanKeuren is a Eepublicaa, and has served as
burgess of Mansfield. In religion, he is a member of the Protestant Episcopal
church, and is Past Master of Friendship Lodge, No. 247, F. & A. M.

Sheeidan E. Coles was bom in Elmira, New York, June 14, 1854, a son of
Samuel and Sarah J. (Ferry) Coles. His father is a native of England, and his
mother of Tioga county, Pennsylvania. They are the parents of six children, viz:
Stella, wife of L. L. Flower, of Lamb's Creek; Sheridan E., of Mansfield; Arthur
and Samuel, both of whom are in the marble business in St. Loids, Missouri; Mary,
wife of J. 0. Spelman, of Eochester, New York, and William, with Eogers, Peet
& Company, of New York. The subject of this sketch was two years old when his
parents removed from Elmira to Wellsboro, Tioga county, where they remained
until he was twelve years of age. He leamed the printing trade in the offices of
the Titusville Courier and Oil City Derrick, afterwards worked in Elmira, and for
a time in the state printing office, Topeka, Kansas. In December, 1882, he came
to Mansfield, and worked in the office of the Advertiser until July, 1885, when he
became a partner of Prank E. VanKeuren, under the firm name of VanKeuren
& Coles, who have since owned and published the paper. On March 23, 1881, Mr.
Coles married Nora A. Stacey, a daughter of Mrs. M. A. Stacey, of Leona, Bradford
county, who has home him four children, viz: Edwin S., Percy A., Inez M. and Lora
Aline. In politics, Mr. Coles is a Eepublican. He is a member of Friendship
Lodge, No. 247, F. & A. M., and of Mansfield Lodge, No. 526, 1. 0. 0. F.



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1079



Joseph Schtjslek was born in Delmar township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
May 27, 1839, a son of Frederick and Sarah (Sofield) Schusler. His father was
a native of Germany and his mother of New Jersey. The former was bom August
1, 1801, came to America in 1819 and worked in a sugar house in New York City
for many years. He then removed to Beaver Dam, New York, where he farmed
until about the year 1836, when he came to Tioga county. Here he still continued
to follow agriculture. He died in Mansiield, February 11, 1890. His wife was
bom in 1804, and died April 14, 1893. By a former marriage, he was the father
of one son, Frederick, who now resides near Wellsboro. Six children were bom
of his second marriage, viz: Susan, Julia, Joseph, Sarah, Ella and Alice. The
subject of this sketch was reared in Tioga county, and in early manhood engaged
in railroading, first as fireman for two years and subsequently as engineer for six-
teen years on the Tioga railroad. He then settled on a farm in Kichmond town-
ship, where he lived ten years, when he traded it for property in Mansfield, which
has since been his home. Mr. Schusler also owns a farm of forty acres near that
borough. On March 4, 1897, he married Mrs. Amy D. Taylor, of Mansfield. In
politics, he is a Eepublican, and has been a member of the borough council four
years. He is connected with the Masonic order, and in all the relations of life is
an exemplary citizen.

James Aegetsingee, a native of Montgomery county, New York, was bom
December 27, 1798. His wife, Catherine Winnie, a native of the same county, was
bom September 4, 1798, and became the mother of the following children: Hugh,
a resident of Mansfield; Philip, deceased, who was born November 25, 1824; Sarah
M., deceased, bom November 15, 1826; J. G., a resident of Mansfield, bom May
3, 1828; Hannah, bom May 16, 1831; Jane M., deceased, bom July 29, 1834, and
Frank W., bom October 18, 1836. Mr. Argetsinger came to Eutland township,
Tioga county, about 1838, where he passed the remainder of his life. He died
November 8, 1875, and his wife, September 19, 1883.

Hugh Aegetsingee was bom in Montgomery county. New York, January 6,
1823, and is the eldest child of James Argetsinger. He was about fifteen years
old when his parents located in Eutland township, Tioga county, where he grew
to manhood on the homestead farm. In March, 1862, he married Sarah Baker,
a daughter of Holland Baker, of Eutland township, who bore him one daughter,
Nora, deceased -wife of Frank Burdick. He married for his second wife, Blmina
Prutsman, who died in March, 1871. On January 14, 1873, he married Helen
Prutsman, to which union have been bom two children, Charles L. and Eoy J.
Mr. Argetsinger resided on his farm of 150 acres, near Eoseville, in Eutland town-
ship, up to the spring of 1881, when he removed to Eoseville, where he resided nine
years. He then became a resident of Mansfield for the purpose of educating his
children. In religion, he is a member of the Baptist church, and in politics, an
adherent of the Eepublican party.

Vabdis Shaw was bom in Plainfield, Massachusetts, in 1799, a son of Joshua
and Sarah (Hawes) Shaw, who came to Tioga county in 1811. They settled at
Lamb's Creek, where Vardis gi-ew to manhood. He married Eleanor Clark, a sister
of Justus B. Clark, and soon after moved into Sullivan township. He returned
to the old homestead in 1838, where the remaining years of his life were passed.



1080 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

He died March 24, 1863, and his wife, April 23, 1859. They were the parents of
the following named children: Julia, Cynthia and Andrew, all deceased; Christina,
who married Austin Bell, and after his death David Hart, now also deceased; David
Porter, deceased; Maria, wife of William Althouse, of Oregon, Ilhnois; William
M., and Daniel, the last deceased.

William M. Shaw, a son of Vardis Shaw, was born in Sullivan township,
Tioga county, January 8, 1834, and was reared on the old homestead at Lamb's
Creek. In 1856 he went to Illinois and in 1857 to Doniphan county, Kansas, where
he became a member of James Lane's Free State army. He subsequently lived in
!Nemaha county. In 1861 he returned to Tioga county, and in October of that
year enlisted in the quartermaster's department of the Army of the Potomac, in
which he served two years and seven months. On March 16, 1865, he married
Emma Wells, a daughter of Benjamin and Eliza Wells, who bore him eight children,
as follows: Benton, deceased; Delia, wife of Jesse Garrison, of Job's Corners;
Blanche, wife of Howard Lewis, of Richmond township; Wells, Alfred, Nellie,
William and Edna. After his marriage, Mr. Shaw settled on his present farm in
Richmond township, where he owns a well-improved property of 180 acres. In
politics, he is an ardent Democrat, and has served as supervisor of Richmond for
ten years. He is also a member of the Mansfield Grange, and is one of the leading
farmers of the township.

Peteh Whittekeb was bom in Canada, April 14, 1796. During the War of
1812, his father was drafted into the British service. Peter went as his substitute,
but not liking to fight against the United States, he deserted and took up his resi-
dence in Schoharie county. New York. There he met and married Ruth Lowns-
bery, a daughter of Isaac Lownsbery, October 13, 1816. She was born April 3,
1799. In 1818 Mr. Whitteker, his young wife and her father came to Tioga county
and located at Canoe Camp. A few years later he removed about two miles south-
east of his first location, on Canoe Camp creek, which has since been the family
homestead. Here he resided until his death, in 1877. To Peter and Ruth Whit-
teker were bom the following children: Catherine, deceased wife of S. L. Barber;
Seth, of Richmond township; Plyna, who died March 26, 1895; Ari, deceased; Ma-
tilda, wife of Russell Gillet, of Mansfield; Anna Maria, deceased wife of Samuel
Goodall; Mrs. Susan Eaton, of Michigan; Barney, who lives on the old homestead;
Lydia Jane, widow of James Cudworth; Mary, deceased wife of E. W. Phelps; Olive,
deceased; Nancy Margaret, wife of Morris Gillet, of Steuben county, New York;
Albert Melville, a resident of Thayer, Kansas, and Amanda Melvina, wife of Alex-
ander Mott, of The Dalles, Oregon.

Seth Whittekee, eldest son of Peter Whitteker, was bom in Canoe Camp,
Tioga county, October 25, 1818. He was reared on the homestead farm in Richmond
township, and attended the common schools in boyhood. On August 26, 1840, he
married Ruhamah Robinson, a daughter of Erastus and Ruhamah Robinson, natives
of Rutland county, Vermont. Eleven children have been bom to this marriage, as
follows: Sarah, Catherine, wife^ of Walter Phelps, of The Dalles, Oregon; Rosalia,
and Candaee, both deceased; Helena, deceased wife of Watson Phelps; Almeron,
James, a resident of Richmond township; Anna, wife of Edward Thomas, of Amboy,
Washington; Nelson, Celia, who resides near Amboy, and Lincoln, who lives near



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1081



his father. In politics, Mr. Whitteker is a Democrat, and has served as supervisor
two terms, as school director eleven years and as auditor several terms. He has lived
on his present farm nearly forty years. It was a part of the Bingham estate, and
originally comprised sixty-one acres, which he has added to by purchase until he
now owns over 300 acres. Mr. Whitteker is one of the oldest living persons bom
in the township, as well as one of its most substantial and respected citizens.

Michael Fealic was born in Unadilla, New York, August 18, 1802. He was
a millwright, and also followed rafting. In 1831 he came to Tioga county to erect
a saw-mill for Daniel Sherwood and his sons on the Tioga river, one-half mile below
Lamb's Creek bridge. He followed lumbering for several years and then purchased
200 acres of land two miles up Lamb's creek, which he cleared for the timber. He
lived on this tract up to 1853, when he removed to Lamb's Creek. About 1858 he
bought the old Gad Lamb water-power saw-mill of Hoard & Beach, and followed
the manufacture of lumber until about 1860. He then retired from business, and
was succeeded by his sons, Daniel L. and M. H., in 1866, who have since carried
on the enterprise under the firm name of Fralic Brothers. Mr. Fralic married An-
geline Lamb, a daughter of Daniel Lamb, son of the pioneer. Gad Lamb, to which
union were bom the following children: Jerusha L. and Eachel, both deceased;
Daniel L., a member of the lumber firm of Fralic & Flower, Coming, New York,
and of Fralic Brothers, Lamb's Creek, and M. H., a resident of the latter place.
Mrs. Fralic died in August, 1877, and her husband, December 34, 1885, aged eighty-
three years.

M. H. Fkalic, youngest child of Michael Fralic, was bom in Eichmond town-
ship, Tioga county, September 16, 1844, on what is now known as the Wilson Day
farm, in Lamb's Creek valley. From his youth up to the present he has been engaged
in lumbering. The old mill being damaged by water in 1869, they built a new one
in 1870, on the west side of the river, substituting steam for water power. Its
daily capacity is 10,000 feet and the product consists of lumber, lath, flooring, siding,
etc. Mr. Fralic was married December 16, 1869, to Maria J. Doane, a daughter of
Julius and Julia Doane, of Covington, Tioga county, who bore him four children,
viz: WiUard E., who is setter in the mill of Fralic & Flower, of Coming; Walter E.,
George D. and Harry B. Mrs. Fralic died in August, 1889, and he was again mar-
ried July 16, 1894, to Sarah Elizabeth Perry, widow of William Perry. During the
Eebellion, Mr. Frahc enlisted twice. He served six weeks in Company K, Thirty-
fifth Emergency Men, and in the fall of 1864 again enlisted, in Company K, Two
Hundred and Tenth Pennsylvaaiia Volunteers. He served in the battles of Hatcher's
Eun, Weldon Eailroad and Appomattox. Politically, he is a Eepublican, and has
served several terms as treasurer of Eichmond township. He is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church, of Lamb's Creek, and also of Mansfield Post, No. 48,
G. A. E., of Mansfield.

Welcome Jaquish was the eldest child of Joseph and Clarissa M. (Eeynolds)
Jaquish, and was born in Delaware county. New York, May 23, 1816. In June,
1838, the family came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled in Covington
township, on the farm where Charles Jaquish now lives. Welcome was then twelve
years old, and he assisted his parents in clearing up the homestead, on which he
grew to maturity, and subsequently removed to the Cleveland settlement, in Sullivan



1082 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

township. On May 9, 1841, he married Eoxina Cleveland, a daughter of Aaron
and Betsey Cleveland, of Sullivan township, and in 1847 they settled on the farm
in the southeastern part of Eiehmond township, on which their son, E. W., now lives.
They became the parents of the following children: Avery W., deceased; Horace A.,
E. W., of Eiehmond; Permelia E., widow of James S. Jeliff; Clarissa M., who died
January 13, 1883; Ada A., who died May 8, 1867; Elias, who died in June, 1886;
Ira M., who died March 5, 1858; Ira E., who died in infancy; Floyd D., a resident
of Sullivan township; Irene, who died January 3, 1863, and Emma E., who died
September 10, 1864. Mr. Jaquish died upon the homestead farm in 1884, in the
sixty-ninth year of his age.

E. W. Jaquish, a son of "Welcome and Eoxina Jaquish, was bom on the home-
stead in Eiehmond township, Tioga county, June 13, 1847, and obtained a common
school education. In 1870 he engaged in the meat business, running a wagon
through the mining districts for the accommodation of the miners, and five years
later opened a meat market in Fall Brook. This he continued until the fall of
1884, when he settled on the old homestead. This farm, which in 1847 consisted
of fifty-two acres, has been added to from time to time until Mr. Jaquish now owns
386 acres of land lying in Eiehmond, Covington and Sullivan townships. He is
one of the largest land owners and heaviest tax payers in the county and has accu-
mulated this property by untiring industry and good management. On April 27,
1881, Mr. Jaquish married Martha Preston, a daughter of Daniel and Mary Preston,
of Union township, who has borne him six children, as follows: Orrin "W., Daniel
P., Elvin W., Francis M., John J., and Harry, the last of whom died in childhood.
In politics, Mr. Jaquish is an ardent Eepublican, and has served as township auditor.
He is a member of the K. of H. and the I. 0. 0. F. societies.

Oelando W. Watkins was bom in Sullivan township, Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, August 4, 1860, and is the only son of S. and Sarah (Eoblyer) Watkins.
His father was a native of Columbia township, Bradford county, and was reared in
that and Sullivan township, locating in the southwest corner of the latter in 1859,
where he made his home until his death, January 16, 1889. His widow lives
with her son in Eiehmond township. They were the parents of two children, viz:
Orlando W., of Eiehmond township, and Nellie, wife of F. "W. Horton, of Cov-
ington township. The subject of this sketch received a common school education,
supplemented later by a two years' course at the State Normal School, Mansfield.
He has devoted his attention to farming and lumbering, and is the owner of two
farms, one of fifty acres, a part of the old homestead, and one of sixty-two acres
on Canoe Camp creek, in Eiehmond township. The latter he purchased in 1889,
and it is his present home. Mr. Watkins was married March 16, 1887, to Bettie
Baity, a daughter of Edson and Eosalie Baity, of Sullivan township, and has two
children, Edson and Lyle. In politics, Mr. Watkins is a Eepublican, and is also
a member of Mainesburg Crange, Patrons of Husbandry. He is a progressive and
enterprising farmer and stands high in the esteem of his neighbors.

Feancis Flowee was born in West Springfield, Massachusetts, August 14,
1811, a son of Alfred and Harriet Leonard Flower. His parents reared the fol-
lowing children: Eleanor, deceased wife of William B. Eipley; Sarah, who lives
on the old homestead in Massachusetts; Lucius, deceased; Alfred, and Samuel,



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1083



residents of "West Springfield, Massachusetts; Francis and Harriet, the latter de-
ceaaed. The father was a farmer, and a prominent citizen of Springfield. He
served in the Massachusetts legislature, and was for a number of years a justice
of the peace and overseer of the poor. He lived to the ripe old age of over ninety-
years. The subject of this sketch remained with his parents until the age of six-
teen when he went to Hartford, Connecticut, where he clerked in a store until
he was twenty-five. He then removed to Rochester, New York, and engaged in
the grocery business, which he followed a few years later in Buffalo, where he also
filled the office of justice of the peace. He spent several years in New Orleans,
Cincinnati, and other places, prosecuting business ventures. In 1867 he came
to Tioga county and became a member of the milling and lumbering firm of Flower
& Waters, of which his brother Lucius was the head. This firm afterwards became
Shaw, Flower & Company. They operated a saw-mill about a mile above the vil-
lage of Lamb's Creek, on the stream of the same name. About 1875 Mr. Flower lo-
cated in Lamb's Creek and opened a grocery store, which he still carries on. In 1881
he married Augusta A. Luther. Politically, Mr. Flower is a Democrat, and in
religion, a Presbyterian. He is one of the oldest citizens of Tioga county, not-
withstanding which he is in full possession of mind and memory, and quite an
active and vigorous man.

B. H. Osgood was bom in Chemung county. New York, April 11, 1853, and
came with his parents to Charleston township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in
1857. His father died in that township, and his mother still lives there. They
were the parents of seven children, as follows: Hannah J., deceased; Nathaniel,
a resident of Charleston; Levi, who lives near Keeneyville; Frank, a resident of
Michigan; B. H., of Richmond township; Elizabeth, wife of Shuble Peters, of
Elmira, and Mary, wife of Calvin Nixon, of Lawrenceville. The subject of this
sketch received a common school education and in early manhood followed lum-
bering. About the year 1878 he purchased 113 acres of land on Pickle hill, which
he still owns. Twelve years later he rented the old Asa Mann farm, north of
Mansfield borough, now the property of R. W. Rose, which he has successfully cul-
tivated in connection with his own homestead, and now ranks among the success-
ful and progressive farmers of the township. Mr. Osgood was married April 6,
1872, to Elizabeth McConnell, a daughter of Henry McConnell, to which imion
have been bom eight children, viz: Ruth, Clarence and Leonard, both deceased;
Watson, Irvin, Levina, Eva and Walter. In politics, Mr. Osgood is a Republican,
and has served as a supervisor in Richmond township. He is also a member of
the Mansfield Grange, and in religion, an adherent of the Methodist Episcopal
church.

SULLIVAN TOWNSHIP AND MAINESBUEG.

Samuel Reynolds came from Vermont about 1803, to Sullivan township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and was one of the first settlers in that part of the
county. For the first few years after his settlement, he, and sometimes his wife,
was compelled to go to Williamsport on horseback to secure provisions and house-
hold necessaries for his family. There were no roads through Sullivan at that
period, excepting mere bridle-paths cut out by the pioneers. He was married



1084 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

before coming to this county, in 1801, to Anna Mann, of Hhode Island, and brought
his young wife into the wilderness of Sullivan township to share his trials^and
hardships. Ten children were born to them, viz: Mrs. Eliza Austin, Draper,
Thomas, Mrs. Phoebe Eew, Lyman, Mrs. Leonora Hazard, Mahala, Almeda, Asa
and Joshua, all of whom are dead except Mrs. Haaard, who resides in Illinois. Be-
sides rearing this large family, the parents secured a competence to protect them
in old age, though it was acquired by the greatest industry and the most rigid
economy. Mr. Eeynolds and family were firm adherents of the Methodist Epis-
copal church. In politics, he was a stanch Democrat, and took an active part in
political affairs. He died in 1843, aged about sixty years. His wife survived him
eleven years, dying in 1854, aged seventy.

Thomas Eeynolds, second son of Samuel and Anna Eeynolds, was born in
Sullivan township, Tioga county, February 35, 1808. He died Octobei' 3, 1896,
and at the time of his death was one of the oldest citizens of his native county. In
boyhood he had no educational advantages, as there were no schools in his neigh-
borhood at that early day, but through the passing years he obtained that practical
knowledge of men and affairs which a man learns as he travels along the pathway
of life. In 1833 he married Amelia Webster, of Sullivan township, to which union
were bom four children, viz: VanBuren, Cyrus, a resident of Illinois; Lyman,
deceased, and Nelson. Mrs. Eeynolds died in 1851, and believing that his children
needed a mother's care, he was again married April 10, 1853, to Mary Moore, a
daughter of James Moore, of Sylvania, Bradford county, who is the mother of
one daughter, Mrs. Ella Eumsey. In politics, Mr. Eeynolds was always an ardent
Democrat, casting his first vote for Andrew Jackson for President. At the time
of his death he was the oldest citizen in Sullivan township, and was in full pos-
session of all his faculties, except that of sight. He possessed a most wonderful
memory, and his reminiscences of pioneer days and events were very interesting.
He was postmaster of the ofiBce now known as Sullivan during President Van
Buren's administration, and also served as constable, collector, supervisor and justice
of the peace. He assisted to clear the land now embraced within the borough of
Mansfield, and particularly that portion on which the bank and Hotel Allen now
stand. Mr. Eeynolds and wife were members of State Eoad Methodist Episcopal
church, in which he was the first Sabbath-school superintendent, and which he
helped to build and maintain. Eor many years he was class leader and steward of
the church, but when his eyesight failed him, he was compelled to give up active
church work. Mr. Eeynolds was a man of progressive ideas and public spirit,
upright in all things, and respected by the leading people of his native county.

James Geay, Sb., was bom in Sharon, Connecticut, in 1760, and there grew
to manhood. He resided a few years in Boston, Massachusetts, and then removed
to Cooperstown, New York. In 1805 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and
located in what is now known as Gray's valley, which was so named in his honor,
where he bought 1,000 acres of land and paid cash for it. The place of his settle-
ment is one of the prettiest and most fertile spots in Tioga county, and he was one
of the earliest among the pioneers of the township. Little of his early life is known
by his descendants, except that he served seven years in the Continental army, and
thus did his full share towards establishing this free government. He was dis-



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1085

charged from the service with the rank of captain. In 1785, he married Parthenia
White, of N"orfolk, Connecticut, who bore him a family of nine children, as follows:
John, James, Silas, George W., Eenssalear, Betsey, Mrs. Aurelia Eipley, Mrs.
Eyelina Rumsey, and Mrs. Melissa Reynolds. Mr. Gray was originally a Federalist
and afterwards a Whig. In religion, both he and his wife were Episcopalians.
He died March 1, 1846, his wife having preceded him to the grave, in May, 1833.

James Gray, second son of James Gray, Sr., was bom in Sharon, Connecticut,
November 25, 1790, and removed with his parents to Otsego county. New York,
in childhood. When he was fifteen years old the family located in Sullivan town-
ship, Tioga county, and his subsequent life was passed in Gray's valley. On Septem-
ber 11, 1817, he married Maria Campbell, of Springfield, Bradford county, who
bore him one son, Victor M., since deceased. Mrs. Gray died February 36, 1820,
and on December 28th following, he married Lorena Doud, who bore him six chil-
dren, as follows: Mrs. Isabella Reynolds, deceased; Lafayette; Mrs. Louisa Rob-
bins, who lives at Coming; Mrs. Henrietta Young, deceased; Delaune, deceased,
and Mrs. Lorancy Baker, deceased. Mrs. Gray died October 2, 1833, and on May
19, 1844, he married Martha Pinkham, of Tioga, who bore him one daughter, Mrs.
Ida P. Webster, of Williamspoi-t. Mr. Gray died July 25, 1860. His widow siu:-
vived until July 10, 1877, and died at the residence of her daughter in Williams-
port. He was a Whig until 1828, when he supported Andrew Jackson for the



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 148 of 163)