Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 151 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 151 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


has been junior warden of that body many years. He is a member of the I. 0. 0.
F., and is Worthy Past Master of East Sullivan Grange, No. 831, P. of H., and was
a charter member of Grange No. 84, of Sullivan township. During the Eebellion
he was very active and prominent in raising money for the boys in blue, and did
all in his power to assist the government throughout those dark days of civil strife.
Mr. Monroe is one of the oldest citizens of Sullivan township, and boasts of the fact
that he owes no man a dollar. He is recognized as a man of strict honesty and
integrity, and is highly respected by the people of his adopted home.

Chaeles Smith came from Tompkins county, New York, about 1840, and
settled near Maiaesburg, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, purchasing a farm, upon which
he lived until his death, in October, 1885, aged eighty-six years. On September
10, 1833, he married Elizabeth Thomas, of Tompkins county, New York, to which
union were bom ten children, five of whom are living, viz: Thomas and Isaac,
both deceased; Jackson, Charles, deceased; George, Mrs. Mary Eumsey, Jonathan,
William, Jason and James, the last two deceased. The mother died in November,
1876, aged sixty-seven years. Mr. Smith was a Democrat until 1856, when he sup-
ported Fremont for the presidency, and ever after was an earnest Eepublican. He
held various offices in the township at different periods, and both he and family
were adherents of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Geohge Smith, fifth son of Charles and Elizabeth Smith, was bom in Jackson,
New York, December 39, 1833, and was in his eighth year when his paxents located
in Sullivan township, Tioga county. He attended the district schools of his town-
ship for about two months in each year until he was fourteen years old, when he
went to work on the farm. He was married March 1, 1853, to Mary Tiers, a daugh-
ter of Zopher Tiers, of Sullivan township, and has four daughters, viz: Josephine,
wife of C. H. DeWitt; Martha, wife of J. H. DeWitt; Mrs. Lydia Case, of Troy,
Bradford county, and Mrs. Ida Squires. In politics, Mr. Smith is a Democrat, and
the family attend the Mainesburg Methodist Episcopal church. He is a Worthy
Past Master, of East Sullivan Grange, No. 831, P. of H., and is a striking example
of what industry and energy can accomplish when properly directed. Commencing
life a poor boy, he is to-day the owner of four well-improved farms, and is recognized
as one of the substantial citizens of the township.

Caleb H. DeWitt was bom in New Jersey, in 1830, obtained but a limited
education, and was put to work on the farm in early boyhood. After attaining
manhood, he met and married Mary Alberts, a daughter of Peter Alberts, of Mon-
roe county, to which union were bom five sons, viz: Joseph H., W. F., John W., Cal-
vin H., and Horace C, deceased. The family came from Monroe county to Brad-
ford county, staying there about one year, and then removed to Sullivan township,
Tioga county, in 1859, where the parents resided until death, the father dying in
October, 1880, and the mother May 31, 1894. They were members of Mainesburg



1100 HISTORY 01? TIOGA COITNTY.



Methodist Episcopal ehtiTcli. In politics, Mr. DeWitt was a Democrat, but always
voted for the man he thought best fitted for the office.

Calvin H. DeWitt, fourth son of Caleb H. DeWitt, was born in Monroe
county, Pennsylvania, October 29, 1853, and was in his sixth year when his parents
located in Sullivan township, Tioga county. He attended the common schools,
and continued to work upon the homestead farm until 1873, in which year he
entered a store at Troy, Bradford county, where he remained about eighteen months.
He then returned to the farm, and followed fanning until 1890, when he was elected
county commissioner, in which office he served three years. During his term the
jail, court house and poor farm buildings were remodeled and fitted up with modem
conveniences. On N"ovember 30, 1873, Mr. DeWitt married Josephine Smith, a
daughter of George Smith, of Sullivan township, who has borne him six children,
viz: Pannie, George, Charles, Jennie, Ethel and Josie. The family are adherents
of Mainesburg Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, Mr. DeWitt is a Demo-
crat, and is also a member of the K. of P., of Wellsboro. He is one of the enterpris-
ing citizens of the county, and is held in high esteem by his friends and neighbors.

James Lay, youngest son of Edward Lay, was born at Sylvania, Bradford
county, Pennsylvania, February 23, 1837. He obtained a meagre education, and
became an apprentice in the tinning establishment of Tabor, Young & Company,
at Tioga, Tioga county, in 1854. After serving a full term, he began working as
a journeyman, which he followed a short time. On August 33, 1857, he married
Hannah Euggles, of Sullivan township, Tioga county, and located at what is now
known as Gray's Valley. Three children have been born to this union, all of
whom are living, viz: Orrin E., George L. and William G. Mr. Lay is a stanch
Eepublican, and has served as treasurer of his township for a number of years. He
and family are members of the Free Will Baptist church, to which he is a liberal
contributor. He is a Past Grand in Sylvan Lodge, No. 926, 1. 0. 0. P., of Sylvania;
is Worthy Past Master of East Sullivan Grange, No. 821, and is also a member of
the E. A. U. of Sylvania.

Oeein E. Lay, eldest son of James Lay, was bom in Sullivan township, Tioga
county, September 35, 1858, and was reared upon the homestead faxm. After
completing a common school education, he engaged in farming, which business he
has followed up to the present. On November 3, 1887, he married Emma C.
Squires, a daughter of Lafayette Squires, of Sullivan township, and has three
children: Sarah E., Mary H. and Esther L. Mr. Lay is an axdent Eepublican,
and is also a member of Sylvan Lodge, No. 936, I. 0. 0. P., of Sylvania, and of
East Sullivan Grange, No. 831, Patrons of Husbandry. Though one of the younger
farmers of the township, Mr. Lay stands high among his neighbors as a man of
energy and public spirit.

Geoege E. Stauffeb was bom in Frederick county, Virginia, July 30, 1834,
and when he was about six months old his parents moved to Frederick county,
Maryland. There he resided until the fall of 1854, when he went to Waynesbor-
ough, Franklin county, Pennsylvania, and two years later located in Troy, Bradford
county, where he was employed in a hotel some three yeai"s. On June 1, 1859, he
moved to Sullivan township, Tioga county, where he was married February 7, 1863,
to Alice M. Dewey, a daughter of Sanford and Lorena Dewey. Mrs. Stauffer was



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1101



bom April 19, 1848, and became the mother of five children, as follows: Hamilton
S., Mack E., Maggie L., born December 12, 1873, married Merton G-. Rorabaugh,
fireman on the Pall Brook railroad, who died December 13, 1893, and his widow
resides in Mainesburg, engaged in the millinery business; John G. and Grace J.,
twins, borii December 1, 1876, the former a farmer living in Mainesburg, and the
latter deceased. Mr. StaufCer moved to Mainesburg April 1, 1864, in which place
he carried on bl'acksmithing until a short time before his death. During the first
year of the war he served in Company C, Second Maryland Cavalry, as blacksmith,
and afterwards with Falkner's brigade. He was captured at Frederick City, Mary-
land, in June, 1863, but was paroled in September and returned home. Mr. Stauf-
fer was a member of the Disciples church of Mainesburg. In September, 1857, he
joined Madison Lodge, No. 466, I. 0. 0. P., of Pottstown; was one of the charter
members of Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, of the same society, and at the time of his
death was one of the oldest living Past Grands of said lodge. In politics, he was
a Democrat up to a recent date, but, during later years, he acted with the Prohibition
party. He served in the school board and council for many years.

Hamilton S. Statjffee, eldest son of George E. and Alice M. Stauffer, was
bom in Mainesburg, Tioga county, September 11, 1868. He attended the com-
mon schools in boyhood, and learned the blacksmith's trade with his father. For
a time he was a brakeman on the Fall Brook railroad, but not liking that calling
he returned to his trade and worked with his father and brother. Mack E., in Maines-
burg. Though formerly a Democrat, he is now a Prohibitionist. He has been
a member of the Democratic central committee, and has served as inspector of elec-
tion four years. Mr. Stauffer is a member of the Disciples church; is a Past Grand
in Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, 1. 0. 0. F., and is also a member of lUion Encamp-
ment, No. 335, of Sylvania. He has represented his lodge in the Grand Lodge
of Pennsylvania, and has alwaj's taken a deep interest in the I. 0. 0. F. society.

Mack E. Stattffee, son of George E. and Alice M. Stauffer, was bom in
Mainesburg, Tioga county, March 11, 1871, and was educated in the common
schools. In the fall of 1890 he went to Ellsworth county, Kansas, and worked on
a cattle ranch. In the winter of 1893 he returned to Mainesburg, entered his
father's shop and learned the blacksmith's trade, which he still follows. On
Febraary 3, 1893, he was married in Kansas, to Laura M. Kuntz. They have one
child, Gordon E.

James Lucas came from Bradford county, Pennsylvania, to Eichmond town-
ship, Tioga county, in 1856, and settled on the farm where he passed the remaining
years of his life. In 1831 he married Phoebe Bishop, of Tompkins county. New
York, who bore him nine children, as follows: Uriah, Mrs. Millieent Daney, Mrs.
Jane Greno, James, Mrs. Nancy Grandy, Furman, L. B., Mrs. Susan Clark, and
Theodosia Strong. Mrs. Grandy, Furman and L. B. are the only survivors. Mr.
Lucas was a carpenter, and in pursuit of that calling and in farming he secured a
competence. Originally a Democrat, he became a Eepublican prior to the war, and
voted that ticket until his death. He was a member of the Masonic order, affiliating
with the lodge at Troy. Mr. Lucas died August 14, 1859, and his wife, February,
15, 1876.



1102 HISTOKY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

L. B. Lucas, son of James and Phoebe Lucas, was born in Wells township,
Bradford county, May 1, 1837. When seventeen yeaxs of age he went to learn
the blacksmith's trade with Van Loon, of Mainesburg, Pennsylvania. In 1858 he
located at Daggett Hollow, where he remained over two years, and then returned
to the old homestead, following agriculture in summer and his trad© in winter. In
1885 he started a shop in Mainesburg, where he has since devoted his entire atten-
tion to his trade. In March, 18C1, he married Adelaide Kumsey, of Sullivaa
township, to which union were bom five children, viz: Carrie and Malcolm, both
deceased; Mrs. Minnie Eeynolds, H. G. and J. C. The mother died September
5, 1870. Mr. Lucas was again married October 33, 1871, to Lois Tice, of Tioga
county, who has borne him three children, viz: Eva Clark, L. D. and Henry. In
politics, Mr. Lucas is a Prohibitionist, and has served in the council of Mainesburg,
and also as school director. He is a Past Grand of Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754,
I. 0. 0. F., and is also connected with Sylvania Encampment. Both he and wife
are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Mainesburg.

Ebv. James A. James was bom at Swansea, Wales, April 35, 1860, and is a
son of James James. His parents died in AVales, and he has two sisters and one
brother who reside there. In his boyhood he attended the public school and Am-
minford Academy, and later entered Arnold College, at Swansea, from which
institution he graduated in the spring of 1884. He then attended Haverford West
Baptist Seminary, graduating in the spring of 1888, and was shortly afterwards
ordained pastor of Pisgah church, at which place he remained until the fall of 1889,
when he resigned this charge and made a tour of the principal cities of England.
In the spring of 1890 he crossed the Atlantic to Philadelphia, arriving in that city
about the middle of May. In 1891 he took charge of the Baptist church at Jermyn,
Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania, remaining there until the fall of 1893, when
he resigned to accept a call from the State Eoad Baptist church, in Sullivan town-
ship, Tioga county, of which society he has since been pastor. The church has
prospered greatly under his administration, adding sixty-nine converts to its mem-
bership, and now numbers 164 members. Mr. James is a member of Mainesburg
Lodge, No. 754, I. 0. 0. P., and in politics, he is an unswerving Eepublican.

John A. Knipple, physician and surgeon, was bom in Bedford county, Penn-
sylvania, August 23, 1840, there attended the public schools in boyhood, and later
entered the Parish Medical College, of Philadelphia, graduating from that institu-
tion in 1860. He practiced in Altoona and vicinity until January, 1893, when he
located in Mainesburg, Tioga county, where he continued his professional duties
until his removal to Bellwood, Blair county, in the spring of 1897.
On September 6, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-fourth Pennsylvania
Volunteers, and was discharged because of disability, in February, 1863. He re-
enlisted Febmary 23, 1864, in Battery L, Third Heavy Artillery, and received his
final discharge November 9, 1865. He participated in the following battles: Bath,
Blue Gap, Eomney, Harper's Ferry, Cumberland Mountains, Winchester, Fredericks-
burg, Port Eoyal, Cross Keys, Mechanicsville, Peach Orchard, Cedar Mountain,
Haymarket, Second Bull Eun and Fairfax Court House. On December 25, 1860,
he married Martha Benton, a daughter of Jonathan Benton, of Bedford county,
to which union were bom seven children, viz: Jacob, Catherine, deceased; Grant,



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1103



William, Frederick, Harvey E., deceased, and Julianetta. He married for his second
wife Nancy J. Wertz, a daughter of William Wertz, of Loop, Blair county, to which
union were born four children, viz: James Garfield, Ella E., deceased; Grace and
David. Mrs. Knipple died April 18, 1890. Dr. Knipple belongs to the Mennonite
church, and he is an ardent Prohibitionist, giving that party his support at all times.
He is a member of Mansfield Post, No. 48, G. A. K.

RUTLAND TOWNSHIP.

Jesse Smith was one of the first settlers of Rutland township, Tioga county,
coining from Delaware county, New York, in the year 1808. He was compelled
to cut his way through the unbroken forest for several miles, as there were few
settlers in this section of Tioga county at that early day. He brought with him
his young wife, Annes, daughter of William Werden, of Delaware county. New York,
and together they shared the trials and hardships of a pioneer life. They were
the parents of twelve children, seven of whom are now living, viz: Morris, Mrs.
Margaret Ashley, who resides in Minnesota; John, Tristam, William, George W., a
resident of Missouri, and Warren. The deceased are Isaac, Mrs. Dolly Ann Wood,
Leviza, Silas and Jesse. Mr. Smith and wife were consistent members of Eutland
Hill Methodist Episcopal church, of which he was a class leader and trustee for
forty-five years. The first Methodist services in Tioga county were held in the
double-log house of Jesse Smith in the year 1813. The preacher came from Spring-
field, Bradford county, and afterwards held services at Lamb's Creek and Wellsboro,
making a circuit of the three charges. In early manhood Mr. Smith was an ardent
Democrat, later changed to a Whig, and when the Republican party was formed
he cast his fortunes with that organization. Mr. Smith died May 35, 1871, aged
eighty-six years, nine months and fifteen days. His wife died January 35, 1874, aged
eighty-five years, two months and nine days.

MoEEis Smith, second son and eldest living child of Jesse and Annes Smith,
was bom in Rutland township, Tioga county, April 13, 1809, and is the oldest living
inhabitant bom within the confines of the township. He has always followed agri-
culture, with the exception of a short period that he was engaged with his brother
John in the carpenter's business. On February 3, 1833, Mr. Smith married Matilda
Gaylord, a daughter of Elijah Gaylord, to which union were bom two children, viz:
Erastus, deceased, and Sanford, who has charge of his father's farm. Mrs. Smith
died June 16, 1872, and he was again married, December 10, 1873, to Emeline
Black, a daughter of John Black, of Steuben county, New York. He and wife are
adherents of Eutland Hill Methodist Episcopal church, of which Mr. Smith has
been a trustee for about forty years. In early manhood he was a Democrat, but
became a Whig with his father, and is at present a firm believer in the principles
of the Republican party. At different times he has refused to accept offices tendered
him, believing he could serve his party better as a private citizen.

William Smith, fifth son of Jesse Smith, was bom in Rutland township, Tioga
county, October 3, 1818, grew to manhood in his native township, and has always
followed farming. On August 30, 1843, he married Dorothy Allen, to which union
were bom four children, named as follows: Mrs. Alzima Wood, Mrs. Susan Wilson,
Jesse and Mrs. Elizabeth Wheeler. Mrs. Smith died about 1855, and on March 1,



]^']^Q4 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



1859, he married Eliza A. Loomis, a daughter of John Loomis. Mr. and Mrs.
Smith are members of Eutland Hill Methodist Episcopal church. He is a Jack-
sonian Democrat, an ardent supporter of the principles of his party, and is one of
the progressive citizens of his native township.

Eeynolds Sixbee was bom in Jefferson, Wisconsin, in the year 1819, and
about 1840 came east and settled in Bradford county, Pennsylvania. He found
employment with Major Daggett, whose daughter, Hannah, he married ia 1841,
and with his wife came on a sled into Eutland township, Tioga county, settling in
the midst of an unbroken forest. He erected a cabin and began clearing the place
now known as the Sixbee fai-m. In those days game was very abundant, and it was
a common thing for him to go out and shoot a deer or two before breakfast. He
had for playmates for his children five tame deer, two old ones and three fawns,
and he very frequently used these deer for the purpose of trapping wild ones. In
later years Mr. Sixbee worked at blacksmithing and lumbering in connection with
his farm duties. Of his seven children, two died in infancy, and five are living,
viz: Mrs. Emma Horton, of South Creek, New York; Mrs. Sadie Horton, of Mbjis-
field; Mrs. Delia Lebarron; Floyd, and Mrs. Belle McConnell, of Eutland township.
Mrs. Sixbee died February 11, 1893, and her husband, October 2, 1895. In religion,
he was a Methodist, and in politics, an earnest Eepublican. He was one of the
substantial citizens of Eutland township, and enjoyed the confidence and esteem
of his neighbors.

Ulysses Chambeelain was bom in Vermont, came to Tioga county in the
year 1850, and purchased the farm on which his widow now resides, in Eutland
township. He was for a short time engaged in Itimbering in Cameron county, but
the greater part of his life was passed upon his farm. In 1852 he married Char-
lotte Benson, a daughter of John Benson. Ten children were bom to this union,
nine of whom are living, viz: George, Thomas, John, Edward, David, Floyd, Charles,
Nathan and Frederick. Mr. Chamberlain was a Jaeksonian Democrat, and a stanch
supporter of Democratic principles. Though not a member of any church, he was
a diligent student of the Bible to the day of his death.

Floyd Chambeelain, sixth son of Ulysses Chamberlain, was bom in Eut-
land township, Tioga county, March 32, 1863. He attended the common schools
in boyhood, and later took charge of the homestead, which is now one of the finest
farms in Eutland township. Like his father, Mr. Chamberlain is a stanch Dem-
ocrat, but has firmly refused to accept office, though frequently tendered him. He
is one of the leading citizens of Eutland, and stands high in the community where
his whole life has been passed.

Laben L. Eockwell came from Bradford county, Pennsylvania, to Eutland
township, Tioga county, in 1853, and bought a farm on what is known as Pumpkin
Hill, where the remaining years of his life were spent. He was married in Brad-
ford county, January 15, 1831, to Mary Elliott, who bore him three children, viz:
Philander, Mrs. Clarinda Harkness and Mrs. Lavina Doud. Mrs. Eockwell died
September 14, 1838, and he was again married July 16, 1839, to Betsey Newell,
of Troy, Bradford county. Two .children were the fruits of this union, viz: Mrs.
Mary Webster, and Sarah, deceased. On September 18, 1833, the mother died, and
Mr. Eockwell subsequently married Nancy Wilson, a daughter of George Wilson,



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1105



and sister of the late Judge S. F. Wilson, of Wellsboro. Five children were born to
this marriage, riz: Catherine and Eebecca, both deceased; Aletta, wife of Lafayette
Gray; Almira, deceased, and Laseelle, of Columbia, Bradford county. Mr. Eoek-
well died on his farm in Rutland township, December 34, 1854. His widow sur-
vived him until January 19, 1891. He was a stanch Eepublican, and the family
were members of the Baptist church, in which faith he lived and died.

J. Mack Swbelt, son of David Sweely, was bom in Susquehanna township, Ly-
coming county, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1853. He obtained a limited education in
the common schools, and was reared on a farm. On February 35, 1873, he married
Emma Knoor, a daughter of Dr. Knoor, of Clinton county. Ten children have
been bom to this union, named as follows: Leonard, Nellie, Maude, Theresa, Ellen,
Eose, Mable, Elsie, J. Mack, and one that died in infancy. The family are ad-
herents of the Baptist church at Eoseville. Mr. Sweely is a member of Job's
Corners Grange, No. 1110, Patrons of Husbandry, and is also the charter Sir
Knight Commander of Eutland Tent, No. 87, K. 0. T. M. Locating in Eutland
township, Tioga county, in 1879, he has since been engaged in farming, and now
makes a specialty of dairying, keeping at all times over forty head of cattle. In
politics, Mr. Sweely is an ardent Eepublican, and takes a deep interest in the suc-
cess of his party.

Benjamin A. Haeeis, son of Levi B. Harris, was born in LeEoy, Bradford
county, Pennsylvania, February 37, 1853. He attended the common schools of his
native place until 1866, when his parents removed to Waxrensville, Pennsylvania.
In 1868 he returned to LeEoy, where he learned the milling trade with his uncle,
Amos Harris. In 1879 he came to Eutland township, Tioga county, and in 1890
purchased the farm on which he now resides. He makes a specialty of dairying,
sheep raising and lumbering, and in the last four years he has manufactured and
disposed of over 3,500,000 shingles. On November 11, 1879, Mr. Harris married
Eosetta E. Colby, a daughter of James W. Colby, and has had one daughter, Nettie
May, bom December 17, 1880, and died January 37, 1884. Mr. Harris is an ardent
Eepublican, in polities, and is a charter member of Eutland Tent, No. 87, K.
0. T. M.

Eev. John C. Ceotttheb was born in Dutchess county. New York, November
34, 1859, son of Joseph and Hannah Crowther. He received a common school edu-
cation. When about seventeen years of age, he commenced evangelistic work, and
continued in the same for about fifteen years, in and about New York. He took
work in the Methodist Episcopal Conference, Elmira district, and was assigned to
Millerton, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in which place he had gratifying success.
He was next assigned to the circuit comprising the Methodist Episcopal churches
at Eoseville, Eutland Hill, and Lawrence Corners, all within the boundaries of
Tioga county. During his pastorate the church at Eoseville has nearly doubled
its membership, gaining 140 converts in the past two years. Mr. Crowther has
also erected a neat parsonage and bam at Eoseville, and both spiritually and ma-
terially his charge is to-day in a flourishing condition. On August 3, 1883, he
was married at Seymour, Connecticut, to Hattie E. Hickox, a daughter of Samuel
Hiekox, and a grand-daughter of Eev. Samuel Hickox, who preached the first ser-
mon in the Methodist Episcopal church at Waterbury, Connecticut. Two children
blessed this union, Fannie May, and Charles L., the latter deceased. After being
70



23^06 HISTOEY OP TIOGA COUNTY.



an invalid for eleven years, Mrs. Crowther died February 9, 1895. Mr. Crowther was
again married February 11, 1896, to Lena Walters, a daughter of John Walters, of
Mansfield.

HiKAM Johns was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in
1832. His father, Seely Johns, came from Massachusetts to Sullivan township,



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 151 of 163)