Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 153 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 153 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


township. He obtained a good education, and adopted farming as his life vocation.
In November, 1861, he enUsted in Company L, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and
was made commissary sergeant. In 1862 he was promoted to battalion commissary
sergeant, and served in that capacity until September 9, 1863, when he rejoined his
company with the rank of first sergeant, and participated in all of its battles up to
October 13, 1864, when he was wounded near Eome, Georgia. He was confined
in hospital until March, 1865, when he rejoined his company with the rank of
first lieutenant, and was honorably discharged at Macon, Georgia, in August, 1865.
Eeturning to his home he resumed farming, which he continued up to 1880. In
1889 he ■B;as elected county treasurer, and filled the office three years. He has also
been a justice of the peace for ten years, and has filled the offices of school director,
member of council, high constable, street commissioner and collector of taxesj
as well as that of burgess of Covington. Mr. Gerould was married January 13,
1855, to Mary, a daughter of John Seamon, of Ithaca, New York, to which union
have been born seven children, viz: Putnam B., a glass worker, of Covington;
Otis, a book-keeper and farmer, who lives in California; Adah, who died at the age
of six years; Effie, a kindergarten teacher in Cleveland, Ohio; Belle, wife of Herbert
L. Bloom, of Wellsboro; Christiana, wife of Edgar E. VanCampen, and James N.
a glass worker, of Kane, Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Gerould are members of the
First Baptist church, and in politics, he is a Eepublican. He has been a member
of the I. 0. 0. P. since 1856, and was district deputy for eight years. He is also
connected with the U. V. L. and the G. A. E., in both of which he takes an active
interest.

Timothy Knovtlton was one of the early pioneer settlers of Sulli-
van township, Tioga county, where he located as early as 1812, pur-
chasing 300 acres of land four miles east of Covington, the present
townships of Covington, Eichmond and Sullivan cornering on his farm.
He was bom in Mason, New Hampshire, July 2, 1788, a son of Henry
and Sybil (Wright) Knowlton, and came from New Hampshire to Tioga county.
At that time Sullivan tovmship was covered by the primitive forest, with here and
there a clearing and a rude log cabin. Mr. Knowlton was then unmarried, and his
sister Eunice kept house for him five years. He went bravely to work to make



1114 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

a home, the forest gradually yielded to his sturdy industry, and cultivated fields
took its place. His entire life in this county was spent in the peaceful pursuits
of agriculture. On January 6, 1820, he married Polly Pitts, a daughter of Hanover
and Mollie (Cudvrorth) Pitts, pioneers of Sullivan township. She became the
mother of ten children, as follows: Polly M., deceased wife of Hosea Kennedy;
Benjamin P., of Shippen township; John C, of Eichmond township; Andrew J.
and Charles W., both deceased; Caroline M., widow of Isaiah Blackburn; Eliza J.,
deceased wife of Frank Vanvalin; Mary A., deceased wife of Lyman Hakes; Leander,
who died in infancy, and Hanover Pitts, of Covington township. Mr. Knowlton
lived on his farm in Sullivan up to 1865, when he went to Vineland, New Jersey,
and made his home with his daughter, Mrs. Vanvalin, until his death, August 16,
1868. Mrs. Knowlton survived her husband nearly nineteen years, and died at
the home of her daughter, Mrs. Blackburn, in Eichmond township, Tioga county.
May 30, 1887.

Hanovee Pitts Knowlton, youngest child of Timothy Knowlton, was born
in Sullivan township, Tioga county, December 19, 1838, and was educated in the
common schools of his district. When twenty years of age he went to Tioga and
opened a meat market, remaining in that business one year. He theh purchased
a farm of seventy-two acres in Delmar township, upon which he lived until the
spring of 1866, when he removed to Mansfield and engaged in merchandising. He
continued in that business twenty months, at the end of which period he removed to
a farm in Sullivan township. He later engaged in the meat business, and then
bought a farm in the Frost settlement, on which he has since lived. He is the
owner of two farms in Covington, embracing 110 acres, and also owns thirty acres
of timber land in Sullivan township. After locating in Covington, he followed the
meat business for a period, but has since devoted his whole attention to general
farming and dairying, being also the owner of a steam thresher. Mr. Knowlton
was married January 7, 1860, to Sarah E., a daughter of Leonard Phillips, of Sul-
livan township, where she was born on February 23, 1839. Eight children have
blessed this union, as follows: Julia M., widow of E. L. Smith, of Jersey City, New
Jersey; Eliza L., wife of D. "W. Williams, of Colorado; Carrie M., wife of Nelson
Whitteker, of Eichmond township; Leonard J., principal of the High School,
Butte, Montana; Matthew S., also a teacher; Sadie L., wife of Daniel Burnside,
of Silverton, Colorado; Hanover W., and Ethel L., both of whom live with their
parents. In politics, Mr. Knowlton is an ardent Democrat, has served three years
as school director, and is an active member of the Patrons of Husbandry.

John Jaquish was bom in New York City, June 17, 1754. His father, a
native of England, was a sea captain, whose home was in New York, and was finally
lost at sea, though it is supposed that he was murdered by Captain Kidd, the
notorious pirate. When John was fourteen years old he was bound out to learn
the harness-maker's trade, and at the breaking out of the Eevolution he enlisted
and served throughout the war. He was afterwards given a pension and three land
grants in the state of New York, on one of which he settled, in Delaware county,
where he resided up to his death, August 3, 1845. He married Catherine Wheaton,
who bore him eleven children, viz: John, Margaret, Dorothy, Joseph, Eliza-



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1115



beth, David, James, Matthias, Daniel H., Sarah and Nathan B. Mrs. Jaqnish
died September 8, 184^, in the eighty-first year of her age.

Joseph Jaquish, second son of John Jaquish, was born in Delaware county.
New York, November 2, 1787, and there grew to manhood. He received a good
education, and after teaching school for a few years, he rented land and engaged in
farming. In June, 1838, he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and bought
120 acres of forest land, where Charles Jaquish now lives, which he cleared and im-
proved, residing thereon up to his death, August 3, 1867. He married Clarissa
M. Keynolds, a native of Ehode Island, bom December 2, 1793, who became the
mother of eight children, viz: Welcome, who died in 1884, in his sixty-ninth year;
John W., who died in 1874, in his fifty-sixth year; Horace S., a resident of Eichmond
township, bom in 1819, who followed teaching and farming, and also served in
Company B, One Hundred and First Pennsylvania Volunteers; Charles, a
farmer of Covington township; Joseph B., a resident of Minnesota, who served in
Company K, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers; Phoebe M., de-
ceased wife of W. H. Strong, of the same State; Desire A., widow of Henry
Beardsley, who lives in Wisconsin, and Elizabeth M., widow of Evan Lewis, of
Charleston township. Mrs. Jaquish died on the old homestead, February 17, 1864.
Chahles Jaquish, a son of Joseph Jaquish, was bom in Delaware county. New
York, November 21, 1823, and was in his fifth year when the family settled in Cov-
ington township, Tioga county. He attended the common schools of thg.t township,
and when twenty-one years old bought a farm of seventy acres in Sullivan township,
on which he resided up to the spring of 1885. He then sold his Sullivan farm and
bought eighty-four acres of the farm which was settled by his father in 1828, where
he has since resided. On November 12, 1846, he married Elizabeth Q. Walker, a
daughter of Lewis Walker. She was bom on October 25, 1827, and bore him a fam-
ily of six children, viz: Charles L., who died on December 30, 1880, leaving a widow,
Eliza (Eobinson) Jaquish, and one son, Frank C, who live in Mansfield; George H.,
an outside foreman in the mines of Clearfield county; Ellen J., wife of B. A. Webster,
of Sullivan township; Joseph S., also an outside foreman in Clearfield county mines;
Francis E., who died on March 13, 1873, and Jane A., wife of Lincoln Whitteker, of
Eichmond township. Mrs. Jaquish died on March 27, 1874. Politically, Mr. Ja-
quish is a Eepublican, and has filled the offices of school director and justice of the
peace. He was a member of the I. 0. 0. P. for^hirty years, but is not now actively
connected with the society.

Chaeles Howland was bom in Hamden, Delaware county. New York, Febru-
ary 17, 1820, a son of Asa Howland, a native of New Hampshire, and a grandson of
Seth Howland, Asa learned the shoemaker's trade in his native place, and later re-
moved to Delaware eoimty. New York, and became a farmer. In 1839 he removed to
Springfield township, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where he followed farming
for many years, but finally resumed work at his trade. He removed to Elmira,
New York, about 1850, and there died July 4, 1861. His wife, Lucretia Benjamin,
bore him a family of eleven children, ten of whom grew to maturity, as follows:
Juliette, deceased wife of Albert Jones, of Elmira, New York; Marietta, who died
in Elmira at the age of sixty-eight years; Charles, of Covington; Eansford F., who
died in Williamsport, leaving one daughter, Hattie; Angilette, widow of Dr. Julius



1116 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Eea, of Milford, Delaware; Antoinette, deceased wife of Kobert Hill, of Elmira;
Gaylord, a resident of Canandaigua, New York; Benjamin F., a leather merchant
of Cedar Eapids, Iowa; Leroy, who died in Kansas, and Janette, widow of George
W. Parsons, of Elmira. Mrs. Howland died in Elmira in September, 1881. Her
husband was a soldier in the War of 1812, serving from New York state. Charles
Howland spent his early life on his father's farm. In 1840 he came to Tioga coimty
and found employment with Boyd & Cleaver, a lumber firm of Covington town-
ship. During the next twelve years he also worked for other firms, aud made a
number of trips down Pine creek, and the Tioga and Susquehanna rivers as 9, raft
steersman, acquiring much skill and proficiency in that line of work. In Sep-
tember, 1840, Mr. Howland helped load the first coal train that left Blossburg
over the Tioga railroad, then just completed. In 1842 he sawed three months on
the lumber used in the construction of the Seymour House, Blossburg. In 1858
he bought the Eoyal "Walker farm of eighty-one acres, upon which he has since lived,
giving his attention to agriculture. On January 1, 1849, he married Eliza Walker,
a daughter of Eoyal Walker.' She was born August 11, 1824, and became the
mother of seven children, as follows: Ella L., widow of S. A. Hoagland, of Marion,
Iowa; Edward L., a box maker in the Covington Glass Works, who married Mary
Williams, and has three children, Eliza, Pearl and Harry; Emma L., who died at
the age of nine years; William E., a glass worker in Prankton, Indiana, who mar-
ried Louisa Lutes, and has one child, Maude; Charles H., a glass blower in Frank-
ton, who married Sarah Coe, and has one child, Hazel; Eansford and Eandolph,
twins, the latter of whom died at two years of age. Eansford is a packer in the
Covington Glass Works, married Anna Marvin, and has three children: David F.,
Anna and Eansford. Mrs. Howland died October 29, 1873. On December 16,
1874, Mr. Howland married Martha J. Johnson, a daughter of Simon Johnson, of
Troy, Bradford county. She was bom November 22, 1836, and is a member of the
First Baptist church of Covington. In politics, Mr. Howland is a Democrat, and
has filled the offices of burgess, assessor, collector and served in the Covington
council. He is also connected with the I. 0. 0. P., and the P. of H. societies, and
is recognized as one of the substantial citizens of the borough.

John Caltin Bennett was bom in Sherman, Connecticut, September 9, 1812,
and removed with his parents to the Canisteo valley, near Homellsville, New York,
about 1824. About 1836 he purchased a pre-emption right to several hundred
acres of land near Clinton, Iowa, upon which he located. Owing to the unsettled
condition of the country, on account of hostilities breaJdng out between the whites
and Indians, he disposed of his claim and returned to Pennsylvania, settling in
Eiehmond township, Tioga county. Here he was married September 11, 1838, to
Olive Wilson, a daughter of Sumner Wilson, one of the pioneer settlers of that
township. To this union were born two children, Albert M. and Frank E. The
latter died in 1861. In 1849 Mr. Bennett removed to Covington and engaged in
mercantile pursuits, continuing there during the remainder of his life. His death
occurred on January 21, 1889. His wife survived him about a year, dying March
19, 1890. Mr. Bennett was a member of the Presbyterian church for many years,
and was connected with the I. 0. 0. F. from 1849, in which year he joined the
Covington lodge. His surviving son, Albert M., continued the business started



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1117



by his father until January 1, 1896. In 1893, associating with other business men
of Covington, they purchased the Covington Glass Works, of which he became
manager. Resigning early in 1893, he removed to Elmira, New York, where he
erected and became manager of the Elmira "Window Glass Works, owned by the
Elmira Glass Company, which position he still holds.

Joseph W. Whiting was bom in Eeadsboro, Vermont, January 5, 1820, a son
of Danforth and Rebecca (Sherman) Whiting, and a grandson of Danforth Whiting,
who located in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, about 1837. Joseph W. received
a common school education, and when twenty-one years of age bought a small farm
in Columbia township, Bradford county, on which he resided for seventeen years,
adding to his original purchase until he owned 315 acres. He sold this farm in the
spring of 1849, and bought his present farm in Covington township, Tioga county,
from Lyman Frost, which now embraces 325 acres. Here he has lived for the past
forty-seven years, engaged in general farming. On October 24, 1867, he married
Julia A. Kingsbury, a daughter of Absalom and Polly Kingsbury, of Covington
township. She was bom July 37, 1827, and bore him one daughter, Gena, born
July 28, 1871, now the wife of James H. Kendrick, of Covington township. Mrs.
AVhiting died December 27, 1887, and he was again married May 34, 1888, to Laura
N. Ayers, a daughter of Abijah A. and Thursa (Palmer) Ayers, of Canton, Bradford
county. She was bom September 33, 1847. Mr. Whiting is a member of the
First Baptist church, of Covington, while his wife is connected with the Methodist
Episcopal church. In politics, a Republican, he has served five years as Justice of
the peace, one year as assessor, one as collector, and about thirty years as a school
director. Mr. Whiting is one of the prominent, well-to-do farmers of the town-
ship, and is highly respected for his many sterling qualities.

Stephen F. Richaeds was bom in Milford, Otsego county. New York, October
26, 1823, a son of Rectus and Susanna (French) Richaxds, natives of Massachusetts.
His father was a farmer and cloth manufacturer, and was twice married. His first
wife, Susanna French, bore him six children, viz: William, who died in infancy;
Mary, deceased wife of the late David Pitts; Stephen P., of Covington township;
Emily, wife of Samuel Hitchcock, of Massachusetts; Otis, who was a farmer, mer-
chant and teacher, and died at Nelson, Tioga county, and Susanna, who died in
childhood. Mrs. Richards died in 1836, and he subsequently married Nancy
Thayer, of Massachusetts. He died in Hampshire county, Massachusetts, in 1873,
aged eighty-four years. Stephen F. obtained a good common school education, and
in 1846 came to Tioga county. He purchased a farm in Sullivan township, where
he lived up to 1858, when he sold it, also another property that he owned in the
Frost settlement which he had bought in 1854, and then purchased eighty acres
of his present homestead, since increased to 200 acres. Here he has resided, en-
gaged in general farming, but making a specialty of raising and handling stock,
principally horses, having sold one horse, Beucephalus, for $3,400. Mr. Richards
has been twice married. His first wife, Mary Snow, bore him one child, Mary, now
the wife of Harris Guilford, of Massachusetts. His second marriage occurred Sep-
tember 29, 1860, to Elizabeth C. Johnson, a daughter of Joseph Johnson, of Cov-
ington township. She was born in Blossburg, April 20, 1843, and is the mother of
three children, viz: Stephen F., born April 30, 1863, and died on April 2, 1880;



wig HISTOHT OP TIOGA COUNTY.

William F., born March 20, 1866, and Edward A., born July 29, 1881. William
F. was educated in the common schools and at Mansfield State Normal, and is
engaged in farming on the homestead. He married Florence DeHaas, a daughter
of Alexander M. DeHaas, of Clinton county, September 3, 1891, and has two chil-
dren, Helen V. and Harold J. Both he and wife are members of the Presbyterian
church. Mr. and Mrs. Eichards are members of the Presbyterian church, also of
the Patrons of Husbandry, and he is connected with the I. 0. 0. F. He has served
two terms as Justice of the peace, and in politics, is an independent voter.

John Kiley, retired farmer, was born in Georgia, Franklin county, Vermont,
May 27, 1821, a son of Michael and Betsey (Hurlbut) Kiley, the former a native of
Ireland, and the latter of Vermont. His father came to the United States at the
age of fiftfeen and learned the tailor's trade, and followed that business in connection
with farming. He reared six children, viz: John, James, Ebenezer, Henry, Mary
and Lydia. John received a limited education, and worked on the homestead farm
in Vermont until twenty-one years of age. He then removed to New York state,
where he worked in a saw-mill six years. In 1849 he came to Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, and found employment in the saw-mills on Mill creek, in Eutland town-
ship. Three years later he rented the James E. Wilson farm in Eichmond town-
ship, which he cultivated up to October, 1862. He then enlisted in Company B,
One Hundred and First Pennsylvania Volunteers, and participated in the battles
of Williamsburg and Fair Oaks. He was wounded in the latter engagement, which
incapacitated him for further service, and he was discharged June 20, 1863. Ee-
tuming to his home in Eichmond township, he lived there until 1865, when he
purchased a farm of 257 acres in Eichmond township,^ and a short time later bought
his present homestead of 167 acres in Covington township. He has been unable to
do any manual labor since the war. Mr. Kiley was married September 18, 1848,
to Dorothy Codney, who bore him six children, viz: Betsey, wife of Harvey Frost,
of Eichmond; Dorcas, wife of Samuel Frost, of Covington; Samuel H., a resident
of the latter township; John, a physician of Morris Eun; Lydia, wife of Prof. C.
B. Clark, of Antrim, and Frank, a ph3'sician of Gordon, Schuylkill county. Mrs.
Kiley died in February, 1887, aged forty-seven years. Mr. Kiley resides with his
son, Samuel H. He is a stanch Eepublican, and a member of the G. A. E. and the
P.. of H.

Samuel H. Kiley, eldest son of John Kiley, was born in Eichmond township,
Tioga county, July 26, 1857, and attended -the common schools in boyhood. In
1882 he purchased his present homestead in Covington township, and has since
devoted his attention to farming. On December 25, 1879, he married Adel
Clark, a daughter of John Clark, of Sullivan township, and has four children, viz:
Love, John, William and Eoss. Mrs. Kiley is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church. Politically, Mr. Kiley is a Eepublican, and has filled the offices of super-
visor and school director. He is also a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and P. of H.
societies, in both of which he takes an active interest.

Nicholas Watkins was bom in Connecticut, July 4, 1810, and was the
youngest son of Benoni Watkins, a native of the same State, who settled on a farm
of 200 acres where Austinville, Bradford county, now stands, in 1816. Benoni
previously married Hannah Peet, and they reared a family of seven children, viz:



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1119



Daniel, Delighta, Betsey, Sally, Abel, Granson and Nicholas. The subject of this
sketch was about six years old when his parents settled in Bradford county. He
worked at home until 1830, whe^i he purchased a farm in Columbia township,
Bradford county, on which he lived six years. In 1836 he bought a farm in Sulli-
van township, Tioga county, which he cultivated until old age^ and then retired to
Mainesburg, where he died in May, 1893. He married Sarah Eose, to which union
were bom six children, as follows: John E., of Covington township; Benoni, a
wagonmaker in Ft. Scott, Kansas; Lodemia, who died in infancy; Hannah, wife
of Jesse Austin, of Mainesburg; Charlotte, Mdfe of Omer Doud, of the same place,
and Philetta, wife of B. P. Connelly, also a resident of Mainesburg. Mrs. Watkins
■resides in Mainesburg with her daughter, Mrs. Doud, at the ripe age of eighty-
four years.

John E. Watkins, eldest child of Nicholas Watkins, and grandson of Benoni
Watkins, was born on the Tioga and Bradford line, two and a half miles west of
Austinville. He obtained a common school education and worked on the homestead
until twenty-five years of age, when he began in life for himself, as a farmer. In
the fall of 1869, he purchased his present farm of ninety acres, in Covington town-
ship, on which he lived for ten years. He then went to Bradford, McKeam county,
and carried on a fruit and vegetable store for two years, at the end of which period
he returned to his farm in Covington. In 1889 he embarked in the lumber business,
which he continued until the spring of 1896, when he resumed farming. On Feb-
ruary 20, 1857, Mr. Watkins married Sophia Welsh, a daughter of Leonard Welsh,
of Sullivan township, and has two children, viz: Eosa B., wife of David Ames, of
Covington township, and Jay E., who was born on July 31, 1867. The family
are members of the Church of Christ, and in politics, adherents of the Eepubliean
party.

Abel Watkins was born in Connecticut, in 1806, a son of Benoni Watkins,
a native of the same State, who settled on a farm of 200 acres where Austinville,
Bradford county, now stands, in 1816. Benoni previously married Hannah Peet,
and reared a family of seven children, viz: Daniel, Delighta, Betsey, Sally, Abel,
Granson and Nicholas. Abel was ten yesirs old when the family located in Brad-
ford county, and he grew to manhood on the homestead farm, and attended the
pioneer school of the district. He later purchased a farm in Sullivan township,
Tioga county, where he followed farming and stock-droving up to 1872, when he
retired to Sylvania, Bradford county, and died in 1880. He married Mary Van
Gorder, who bore him seven children, as follows: Hannah, deceased wife of the
late Dr. Burchard, of Chicago; Andrew J., deceased; Emma, wife of E. E. Backer,
of Elmira; George, a resident of California; Jerusha, widow of Dayton HoUenback,
of Sylvania; Seely E., a farmer of Eichmond township, and Frank, a lumberman
of Covington township. Mrs. Watkins died on June 23, 1894.

Andeew J. Watkins, oldest son of Abel Watkins, was bom in Sullivan town-
ship, Tioga county, October 13, 1830, and was reared and educated in his native
place. On attaining his majority he purchased a farm in Eutland township, whence
he removed to Eichmond, but returned to Eutland again. In 1870 he located in
Covington township, purchasing a farm of 350 acres, one mile above Covington, to
which he later added 180 acres more. He and his brother Seely also bought the



]^]^20 HISTOET or TIOGA COUNTT.

old homestead in Sullivan township. In 1889 he moved to a small faorm in Cov-
ington borough, where he died in February, 1890. He married Clarinda Hurd,
who bore him four children, as follows: Eush J., a steamboat captain in the state
of Washington; Eugene 0., of Covington township; Olive A., of the same town-
ship, and Frederick B., deceased. Mrs. Watkins resides in Covington. Mr. Watkins
served in the Union axmy during the late Eebellion. He was an active Eepublican,
and filled the offices of assessor and school director.

Eugene 0. "Watkins was born in Eichmond township, Tioga county, July
9, 1860, a son of Andrew J. Watkins, and grandson of Abel Watkins. He attended
the common schools of the township and borough of Covington, and has always



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 153 of 163)