Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 154 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 154 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

lived on the old homestead farm. On June 17, 1886, he married Mary A. Harding, a-
daughter of Simeon and Lydia (Goodnow) Harding, early settlers of Covington,
and has two children. Ploy L. and Maude C. Mrs. Watkins is a member of the
First Baptist church, of Covington. In politics, Mr. Watkins is a Eepublican,
and is also connected with the I. 0. 0. F. and the P. of H. societies.

Eet. George W. Sguddek was bom at Gorham, Ontario county, 'New York,
August 35, 1818, a son of Ezra Scudder. He received a good education and in
early manhood began preaching for the Free Will Baptist church, but when the
slavery question began to be agitated, he became a Wesleyan Methodist, and for
many years preached for that church in the counties of Steuben, Allegany, Schuyler
and Tompkins, New York, and in Sullivan, Bradford, Tioga and Potter counties,
Pennsylvania. He first came to Tioga county in the spring of 1863, and in 1865
purchased a farm in Charleston township, on which his son resided up to 1883. He
then sold it and bought one in the northeast corner of Covington township, where
he resided until a year and a half before his death, which occurred October 36,
1894, when he was stricken with paralysis and removed to the home of his son,
Franklin B. Mr. Scudder was married to Emmeline Parsons, a daughter of Thadeus
Parsons, of Clifton Springs, New York, October 31, 1841. She was bom October
30, 1830, and is the mother of two children, viz: Ezra F., bom July 38, 1843, and
died June 31, 1859, and Franklin B., who lives on the old homestead. Mrs. Scud-
der lives with her son in Covington township.

Feanklin B. Sctjddee, only living child of Eev. George W. Scudder, was
bom in Potter, Yates county, New York, June 85, 1845. When eighteen years of
age he enlisted in Battery F, Second Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, and served in
the battles of Weldon Eailroad and Chapin Farm. He was transferred to the
light artillery, in which he served six months, and later three months as a mounted
herdsman. In the fall of 1865 he was detailed to the provost guard, and later on
the detective force, where he served until discharged, at City Point, in January,
1866. He returned to his home in Charleston township, and a year later went to
Sullivan county, Pennsylvania, where he worked out and attended school at in-
tervals for two years. Eetuming to his father's home, he worked for his parents
until the fall of 1886, when he bought fifty-threвВђ acres immediately east of the
homestead, which he cultivated until his father's death. He then inherited the
homestead property of sixty acres, and is now the owner of 113 acres of well-im-
proved land. October 36, 1868, Mr. Scudder married Eoxie T., a daughter of
Joseph Fawcett, of Sullivan county, where she was bom on May 9, 1851. They


axe the parents of five children, viz: Jennie E., wife of Maxlin Clemens, of
Charleston township; Grace V., William W., Emma L. and Frankie B. Mr. axid
Mrs. Scudder are members of the Wesleyan Methodist church, while their daughter
Grace is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, the family are
adherents of the Republican party.


Maetin Steatton was bom near Towanda, Bradford county, Pennsylvania,
December 33, 1807. His parents, Cephas and Hannah (Adams) Stratton, natives of
Simsbury, Connecticut, settled in Bradford county in 1791. In 1813 they came to
Tioga county, and located near Canoe Camp. They resided in Eichmond township
and in Mansfield until October 13, 1818, when the family left for Cincinnati, Ohio,
settling four miles from that city, on Mill creek, where the parents passed the re-
mainder of their lives. In 1831 the subject of this sketch went to Cincinnati to learn
the carpenter's trade. After serving three years as an apprentice and one year as
a journeyman, he went to New Orleans, where he remained but a short time. Re-
turning to Cincinnati, he was induced, by promises of government work, to go to
Fort Independence, Missouri. Being disappointed in this, he returned to Cincinnati,
and in March, 1831, came back to Mansfield. After a three years' stay in
Tioga county, he again returned to Cincinnati, and a year later removed to La
Salle, Illinois. In 1840 he returned to Mansfield, and in December, 1841, located
at Bloesburg. For thirteen years he had charge of the repairs of coal chutes, etc.,
in Blossburg, for William Mallory & Company, and from 1861 to 1876 was in the
employ of the Fall Brook Coal Company, at Fall Brook, as master mechanic. For
a number of years he has been living retired in Blossburg, his residence, built in
1841-43, being one of the oldest houses in the place. In polities, he is a Republican,
and has served as justice of the peace and school director. In religion, he is a member
of the Baptist church. Mr. Stratton was married October 18, 1833, to Eliza Holden,
a daughter of Daniel and Lydia Holden, pioneer settlers of Mansfield. Mrs. Strat-
ton was bom in Schoharie county, New York, in 1811, and they celebrated the six-
ty-fourth anniversary of their marriage, October 18, 1896. Three children have been
born to them, viz: Daniel H., Myron S., a railroad engineer, killed in aji accident
at Gray's run, Tioga county, August 35, 1893, and Lucy, wife of Rev. Marcellus
Karcher, rector of Christ Protestant Episcopal church, of Blossburg. Lydia, an
adopted daughter, is the wife of A. F. Gaylord of the same borough.

Daniel H. Steatton, eldest son of Martin Stratton, was bom in Covington,
Tioga county, January 1, 1834. He learned the carpenter's trade with his father,
and from 1853 to 1855 he was in the employ of William Mallory & Company, of
Blossburg. He then engaged in the grocery business in that place, continuing in the
same three years. In the latter part of 1858 he went to Fall Brook, as foreman
in charge of constructing and repairing chutes, etc., for the Fall Brook Coal
Company. In 1864 he took charge of the railroad shop in Blossburg, a position
he still holds. Mr. Stratton was married June 33, 1854, to Mary C. Scott, a
daughter of Robert and Eliza Jame Scott, to which union have been born ten children,
viz: Alice, deceased; Prank H., Mary, deceased wife of E. S. Guernsey, of Sala-
manca, New York; Fred and Nina, both deceased; Lucy H., Jennie, Daniel R., a


graduate of the Medical Department of the University of New York; Kate, wife
of E. J. Bosworth, of Gaines, Tioga county, and Eaymond. In politics, Mr. Strat-
ton is a Democrat. He served in the first council of Blossburg, and has filled the
office of justice of the peace, school director, auditor and township clerk. He is
a member of the Masonic order, and of the K. of H.

Frank H. Stkatton, eldest son of Daniel H. Stratton, was born in Blossburg,
Tioga county, April 14, 1857, and was educated in the public schools and the
State Normal School at Mansfield. He clerked for some years in the railroad shop
office, and for seven years had charge of the weigh office in Blossburg of the
Morris Eun and Fall Brook Coal Compajiies. From 1885 tO' 1889 he was United
States gauger of the Twelfth district of Pennsylvania, after which he again took
charge of the weigh office of the companies named. On March 39, 1894, he was
appointed by President Cleveland postmaster of Blossburg, which office he still
holds. He is also superintendent of the Blossburg Water Company. Mr. Stratton
was married in June, 1889, to Maria Bowen, a daughter of the late Stephen Bowen,
sherifE of Tioga county from 1873 to 1876. They are the parents of three children,
viz: Augustus D., Agnes and Nina. Mr. Stratton is an ardent Democrat. He is
a past master of Bloss Lodge, No. 350, F. & A. M., and is also connected with
Wellsboro Chapter, and Tyagaghton Commandery, of Wellsboro.

Pathick Bannon was born in Thurlas, County Tipperary, Ireland, in April,
1814. In 1827 he went to "Wales, and worked in the iron furnaces there until 1836,
when he immigrated to the United States and located in Troy, New York, but soon
afterwards removed to Pottsville, Pennsylvania, where he worked as a moulder in
a foundry. In 1840 he came to Blossburg, Tioga county, and during the remaining
years of his life, until he retired, he worked in the mines at Blossburg and Morris
Eun. A few years before his death, which occurred September 17, 1894, at the age
of seventy-nine, he was interested in developing a tract of coal land near Hoytville.
His agreement with the owner was that if he struck the Blossburg vein he was to
have one-half the land. He died before securing the deed, and the matter is now in
the courts. Mr. Bannon came to Blossburg when there were but few families in
that place. The railroad had just been completed and the work of developing the
coal deposits begun. He soon became known as a man of enterprise and public
spirit. It was through his efforts that the first Catholic church in the county was
established in Blossburg. He secured the gift of the site from Hon. Horatio Sey-
mour, and collected the money for the erection of the church building, which was
afterwards dedicated as St. Andrew^s Catholic church. He was a member of the
C. T. A., and also of the K. of L. In politics, he was a stanch Eepublican, and
served as a member of the council, supervisor and school director for a number of
years. He was tireless in his efforts to secure the establishment of a public school
in the village, in which project he was finally successful. He lived an earnest,
useful life, and enjoyed the respect and esteem of the leading people of the county.
Mr. Bannon was married April 14, 1839, in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, to Joana Loner-
gan, a daughter of William Lonergan, a merchant of Thurlas, Ireland. Mrs. Ban-
non, who, notwithstanding her advanced age, preserves an active mind and a clear
memory, was born April 7, 1816, and came to Canada with her parents when a child.
Her father located on a farm near Montreal, where the family resided until 1834,


when they removed to Pottsville, Pennsylvania, where Mrs. Bannon met and married
her late husband. Four of her brothers were in the Union army, viz: William, a
deceased manufacturer of St. Louis, Missouri; James, a farmer of the same State;
Patrick, who also resides in Missouri, and John, a resident of Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Another brother, Michael, went to St. Louis at an early day, and died there of
yellow fever in 1837. Mrs. Bannon is the mother of seven children, viz: Mary,
wife of William Lai-kin, of Bradford, McKean county; William, a resident of the
same place, who married Lida English; Anthony, a resident of Bradford, ex-state
senator of this district, to which office he was elected in 1893, having previously
served as a member of the council of Kemdall Creek, coroner of McKean county,
sheriff of the county, chairman of the Eepublican county committee, a delegate to
the state convention, congressional conferee, reading clerk of the State Senate in
1889 and journal clerk of the same body in 1891; Joana, a resident of Bradford;
Jane, who resides with her mother; Lizaie, wife of Christopher O'Connor, of
JefEerson county, and Alice, who lives at home. Mrs. Bannon is a woman of edu-
cation and refinement, and enjoys the regard and confidence of a large circle of
friends. She is one of the oldest living residents of Blossburg.

Henet Kilbouhn, physician and surgeon, was bom in Shrewsbury, Vermont,
March 23, 1802. He studied medicine in his native State, at Castleton, and re-
ceived his diploma in 1828. In December of that year he married Miss Fannie
Briggs, to which union were bom the following children: Henrietta, a resident of
Portland, Oregon; Antionette, widow of S. B. Brown; Henry, deceased; Ferdinand,
a resident of Sumnerville, Kansas; Catherine, a resident of Wellsburg, New York,
and James V., who resides at Silverton, Colorado. The mother died, and he mar-
ried for his second wife Lucy M. Dyke, who bore him two children, viz: Orpha,
deceased, and Kenyon. His second wife died May 13, 1873, aged thirty-six years.
In 1840 Dr. Kilboum came to Tioga county and settled in Covington, from which
time until his death, November 26, 1886, he continued the practice of his pro-
fession. During this period he lived alternately at Covington and Blossburg, the
last twenty years of his life being spent in the latter town. He traveled throughout
the eastern part of Tioga county, where he is held in loving remembrance. He
also practiced at Fall Brook, and for many years was the leading physician in that
portion of the Tioga valley. Dr. Kilboum was descended from one of the oldest
families of New England, and brought with him to Tioga county a musket used by
one of his ancestors in a desperate fight with Indians at Walpole, Connecticut, in
1755. It measured from muzzle to shoulder-guard five feet eleven inches, and
carried an ounce ball. Dr. Kilboum was a great story teller, and somewhat eccentric,
but was respected by all who knew him.

Kenton Kilbouen, only son of. Dr. Henry and Lucy M. (Dyke) Kilboum,
was bom in Covington, Tioga county, June 1, 1862, and received a common
school education. After leaving school he worked for a time on the coal chute at
Amot, and later as a brakeman on the Tioga railroad. In the spring of 1885 he
was employed in the freight office at Blossburg, remaining until March, 1888, when
he secured his present position as weighmaster for the Erie Eailroad Company, his
duties being to weigh the coal mined at Amot and Landrus. The position is
one of much responsibility, but during the past eight years he has proven himself


faithful and efficient. Mr. Kilbourn was married July 19, 1885, to Elnora N.
f ulkerson, a daughter of Eaoch and Mary Ann Fulkerson, of Blossburg, and has
four children: Edna K., John M., Cora B. and an infant son. In politics, he is a
Eepubliean, and is recognized as an enterprising citizen.

LuTHBE Johnson was born in Vermont, in 1790. In 1813 his parents came
to Tioga county, and settled on a farm near Wellsboro, in Charleston township.
Here he grew to manhood and married Zilpha Shumway, bom June 11, 1796, a
daughter of Peter Shumway, to which union. eight children Avere bom, as follows:
Silas, Eli, and Jacob, deceased; Sarah, wife of Elmer Bacon, of Nebraska; Moses
and Luther W., deceased; Lydia, wife of Curtis Culver, of Middlebury, Tioga
county, and Alonzo, a farmer residing in Wellsboro. Mr. Johnson died October
17, 1849; his widow survived him until February 17, 1877, dying at the age of
eighty-one years.

De. Luthee W. Johnson, son of Luther and Zilpha (Shumway) Johnson,
was born in Wellsboro, May 4, 1833. His early education was acquired in the Wells-
boro Academy, from which he graduated in 1852. He next took a course in the
classical and medical department of the State University at Ann Arbor, Michigan,
graduating in 1856. In 1857 he began the practice of medicine in Liberty, Tioga
county. He continued the practice of his profession at that place until 1883, when
he removed to Blossburg, where he practiced without interruption until his death,
June 29, 1896. He was one of the oldest physicians in years of practice in Tioga
county. He was formerly a member and one of the organizers of the Tioga County
Medical Society. Dr. Johnson was married June 7, 1858, at Wellsboro, to Mary C.
Mathers, a daughter of John Mathers. To this union were bom the following
children: Edward W.; Nettie V., wife of Dr. XT. G. Beck, of Elmira, New York;
Helen B., wife of Edward Saks, of Milton, Pennsylvania, and Gracie. Dr. Johnson
was a life-long Democrat and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In
addition to his extensive practice he also conducted a drug store. He was recog-
nized as an able and experienced practitioner and as one of the progressive and en-
terprising citizens of Blossburg.

John Cook was bom at Stockton-on-Tees, County of Durham, England, Janu-
ary 24, 1831, and is a son of Isaac and Ellen (Eoe) Cook. They were the parents of
eleven children, of whom six grew to manhood and womanhood, viz: Elizabeth,
deceased wife of Phineas Harrington; Isaac, deceased; Jane, wife of Joseph
Baker, deceased; John, the subject of this sketch; Hannah, wife of George Watson,
and William, who died at Morris, Tioga county, in September, 1892. John came
to Pennsylvania in 1847, and spent a few months .in Eeading, locating at Bloss-
burg, 'Tioga county, April 5, 1848. He had leamed the bricklayer's and plasterer's
trades in England, and followed the same after coming to Pennsylvania. He also
worked in the coal mines at Arnot, Barkley, Fall Brook and Morris Eun for about
six years; but his trade has been his life vocation, and he has worked on a
majority of the buildings erected in Blossburg since 1848. Mr. Cook was married
May 24, 1851, to Mary Harris, a daughter of Eev. Henry Harris, a native of Haber-
suchan, Monmouthshire, Wales, who came to Pennsylvania in 1837, resided for a
time in Minersville, and then located in Blossburg, Tioga county. He afterward
went to Providence, Ehode Island, to work, and was fatally injured by a boiler ex-


plosion, living but a few days. Mr. and Mrs. Cook are the parents of eight chil-
dren, viz: William H., Isaac Herbert, deceased; Phoebe Ellen, widow of David
Botchford; Hannah Mary, wife of James S. Kirkwood; Isaac Herbert (2nd),
George Edward, Alice Jane, deceased, and Elizabeth Jane, wife of Henry H.
Eeese. In politics, Mr. Cook is a Prohibitionist, has served as treasurer of the
borough for several years, also as judge and inspector of elections, and is now serv-
ing a second term as justice of the peace. For a number of years he has been a local
preacher of the Methodist Episcopal church, and for ten years or more superin-
tendent of the Sunday-school. He is one of the oldest citizens of Blossburg, and
has lived a life of quiet industry. A man of high moral character and deep religious
convictions, he has exemplified his principles and his belief in his daily life, winning
thereby the respect and esteem of his fellowmen.

John Laweence Sexton was bom in Veteran township, Chemung county,
New York, July 13, 1830, a son of John Lawrence and Hannah (Kenyon) Sexton.
He is a descendant of one of the oldest Scotch-Irish families of the United States,
his paternal ancestor having located in the valley of the Connecticut in 1637. His
grandfather, Elijah Sexton, was a soldier in the French and Indian War and an
officer in the Continental army. When John L. was quite young his parents re-
moved to Big Flats township, Chemung county, New York, where his father pur-
chased 700 acres of white pine timber land, erected saw-mills and engaged in lum-
bering. Young Sexton was reared on the farm, was principally educated at the
fireside and in the common schools, but received special training in elocution, logic
and rhetoric. Before he was twenty years of age he had read Blackstone, Kent,
Storey and Marshall and the standard English poets, and had mastered "Town's
Analysis of the EngHsh Language." On May 28, 1851, he married Grace Adelaide
Patterson, a grand-daughter of Eobert Patterson, a Revolutionary soldier, and a
daughter of Benjamin and Jane (Jones) Patterson, of Lindley, Steuben county,
New York. For ten years thereafter he pursued farming and lumbering, in the
meantime serving six years as superintendent of township schools of Big Plats, and
several years as deputy United States marshal. Meeting with reverses, through the
failure of the Bank of Corning, he came to Fall Brook, Tioga county, and was em-
ployed by Hon. John Magee, first as a laborer in the forest and subsequently as store
clerk, weighmaster and shipper of coal. He also filled the offices of assessor, school
director, justice of the peace, burgess and principal of the public schools, receiving
provisional, professional and a permanent certificate from the school department
of Pennsylvania, as a teacher. In 1875 Mr. Sexton was selected by Gen. William
McCandless as clerk to assist in organizing the bureau of labor and industrial statis-
tics of Pennsylvania, at Harrisburg, and almost the entire labor of formulating,
classifying and arranging the details of the bureau devolved upon him. At the
close of his four years' term he returned to Tioga county, located at Blossburg, and
established the Blossburg Industrial Register, which he continued to publish for
two years. The next five years he devoted to literary pursuits, during which time
he wrote the histories of Tioga and Bradford counties, Pennsylvania, and Steuben,
Chemung, Tioga and Schuyler counties, New York; "The White Slaves of Monopo-
lies," "Uncle Jonas Lawrence's Letters," and numerous articles for the Sunday


Telegram of Elmira, the New York Sun, the Harrisburg Patriot and other news-

In December, 1885, his son, Benjamin P. Sexton, established the Blossburg
Advertiser, of which the subject of this sketch is business manager and a general
contributor to its columns. "Under Mr. Sexton's management the Advertiser has
attained a large circulation, and it wields a strong influence throughout the Bloss-
burg coal region. Mr. Sexton is a fearless and able writer, and has delivered
many public addresses, among them the Centennial address in the House of
Eepresentatives, at Harrisburg, July 4, 1876, on the progress and development of
Pennsylvania for 100 years; two Centennial addresses at Painted Post, New York;
an address at the unveiling of the monument erected to the memory of William
Mapes, a Revolutionary soldier, by the counties of Steuben and Chemung, at Big
Flats, in August, 1873; the Centennial address on the establishment of the Grand
Lodge of Free Masons, and the Centennial address at the Polish celebration in Bloss-
burg, May 3, 1891. Mr. Sexton is a member of the Dauphin County Historical
Society, of Harrisburg; an honorary member of the Historical Society of Pennsyl-
vania, at Philadelphia, and is well versed in the history of the State, and well ac-
quainted with its geological formations and its varied mining, manufacturing, agri-
cultural, railroad and industrial interests generally. Mr. Sexton's family consists
of his wife, Grace Adelaide, three sons and four daughters, viz: Samuel M., Ben-
jamin Patterson, John Lawrence, Grace Adelaide, Mary B., wife of Levi Plummer,
of Pindlay, Ohio; Jane P. and Susie T.

Jacob B. Mereick was bom in "Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, July
4, 1835, a son of Isaac Merrick, and grandson of Israel Merrick, Sr., and obtained
a common school education. Upon arriving at manhood he adopted dentistry as his
profession, and resided and practiced at different times in Charleston township,
Tioga county; Troy, Bradford county; Blossburg and Mansfield, Tioga county, and
in Elmira, New York. He removed from the latter place to Mansfield in 1875,
and made it the place of his residence until his death, March 1, 1878. Dr. Mer-
rick married Lucy A. Bums, a native of Oppingham, Fulton county, New York, to
which union were bom three children, viz: A. E., a dentist of Millerton, Tioga
county; D. 0., a dentist of Blossburg, and- Walter T., attomey-at-law of the same
borough. On December 5, 1883, Mrs. Merrick married for her second husband, Eev.
Hiram Short, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church. They reside in Bloss-

Michael Kelly was born in County Kerry, Ireland, in 1832. He came to
the United States in 1853 and located in Gibson, Steuben county. New York, at
which place he resided for three years. In 1856 he removed to Gang Mills, in the
same county, where he remained two years, and then located in Coming. Here he
embarked in the grocery business, which he carried on in that city up to 1866. In
June of that year he came to Blossburg, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and bought
the building then owned by Daniel Williams, formerly occupied by the store of the
Arbon Coal Company, in which he opened a grocery. He continued in business
until 1870, when owing to failing health his wife took charge of the store, which
she still carries on under the name of Mrs. M. Kelly. It is now the oldest business
house in the borough. Mr. Kelly was married August 10, 1856, to Bridget Healy,


a native of County Kerry, Ireland, to which union were bom ten children, as fol-
lows: John W., Mary A., widow of James Kirwan, of Blossburg; Johanna E.,
Michael F., who married Mary Downs, daughter of William and Mary (Diggins)
Downs, of Washington, D. C, and has two children, William D. and Walter L.;
Bridget and Kate, twins; Thomas P. and Peter D., both deceased, and two that

Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 154 of 163)