Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 155 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 155 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


died in infancy. Mr. Kelly died December 19, 1888. In politics, he was a Demo-
crat, and in religion, a member of St. Andrew's Eoman Catholic church of Bloss-
burg, to which his widow and children belong. John W. has served one term in
the borough council. He is an adherent of the Eepublican party, a member of St.
Andrew's Catholic Total Abstinence Society, and is regarded as one of the public-
spirited and progressive citizens of the borough.

David E. Evans, son of Eiehard A. and Mary Evans, was born in Capcoch,
South Wales, February 28, 1859. His parents immigrated to Pennsylvania, and
located in Morris Eun, Tioga county, in December, 1870, where his father mined
coal until 1874, when he moved to Eound Top, where he still resides. The subject
of this sketch is the fourth of six children, named as follows: Mary Ann, wife of
Daniel Griffiths, of Antrim; Evan E., of Blossburg; John E., of Antrim; David
E., of Blossburg; Catherine, wife of Eobert Carpenter, of Antrim, and Elizabeth
Jane, wife of Arthur Bowen, of Eound Top. At the age of eight years David E.
entered a tea store in Wales, remaining there until the family came to the United
States. He worked five yeaxs in the mines at Morris Eun, and in 1876 began clerking
in the store of the Fall Brook Coal Company, at Antrim. In 1879 he went to
Cleveland, Ohio, was there employed for a year as a salesman, and later worked two
years in a rolling mill. In 1882 he returned to Antrim, re-entered the service of
the Fall Brook Coal Company, was employed three months exploring for coal, and
was then given the position of boss mule driver in the mines. This he filled for
several years, and then resumed mining. He next was employed as a traveling sales-
man for the Grand Union Tea Company. In 1889, in connection with J. J. Mills,
he bought out the tea, crockery and glassware firm of Hyde & Cowley, of Bloss-
burg. The business was carried on under the firm name of Evans & Mills until
1890, when it was consolidated with that of Daniels & Newport. In October, 1894,
Mr. Evans bought out Mr. Daniels' interest, and has since conducted the business
in his own name. October 16, 1879, he married Jane Davis, a daughter of John
and Ann Davis, of Cherry Plats, Tioga county, to which union have been bom six
children, viz: Gwennie, Mary, deceased; Annie, Jane Victoria, deceased; Ethel,
deceased, and Eena. In politics, Mr. Evans is a Eepublican, and in religion, a
member of the Welsh Congregational church. He is also connected with Blossburg
Lodge, No. 167, K. of H.

Matthew C. Blaik, merchant tailor, was bom in Cumbernauld, Dumbarton-
shire, Scotland, June 2, 1841, and is one of nine children bom to James and Mary
(Crawford) Blair. The other members of the family are as follows: Eliza, wife of
John Eussell, a resident of Scotland; Marian, wife of Alexander Allen, a resident of
the same land; James, who resides in Anita, Pennsylvania; William and John, both
residents of Scotland; Mary, wife of a Mr. Murray, of Scotland; Janet, wife of James
Wiley, of Liberty township, Tioga county, and Jennie, who lives in Scotland. Mr.
Blair's father came to Amot, Tioga county, in 1873, worked in the coal mines for a



1128 HISTOEY OK TIOGA COUNTY.

few years, and then returned to Scotland, where he died in 1878. The subject of this
sketch received a common school education, and served an apprenticeship to the
tailor's trade in Scotland. In June, 1869, he immigrated to Pennsylvania, and
located in Amot, Tioga county. He worked in the mines for thirteen years and
later at his trade in Ariiot for eight years. In 1890 he came to Blosshurg and opened
a merchant tailor's establishment over Eoberts' store. In the spring of 1891 he
moved further south on the same street, renting for a year and then purchasing
the building. Here he remained until the fall of 1895, when he removed to the
building previously occupied by H. H. Eoberts. He carried on merchant tailoring
exclusively until 1894, when he added ready-made clothing, hats, caps and furnishing
goods. Mr. Blair was married December 31, 1861, to Susan Arthur, a daughter of
John and Susan (Carrick) Arthur, of Cumbernauld, Scotland. Fourteen children
have been born to this union, all of whom are living, viz: James, Kate, wife of John
Hutchinson, of Houtzdale; Mary, wife of N. E. Mitchell, of Blossburg; Susan, Eliza,
Elizabeth, Marion, John, Agnes, Janet, Jennie, Ada and Emma, twins, and Mat-
thew. In politics, Mr. Blair is independent, and in religion, a member of the
Church of Christ at Amot. By unremitting industry and prudence, Mr. Blair has
not only reared and educated his large family, but has built up a profitable and
growing business. He is a progressive and enterprising citizen, and has achieved
a well-earned reputation for honesty, industry and integrity.

Andhew Andbbson, merchant tailor, was born in Dolsland, Sweden, January
25, 1859, and is a son of Andrew and Cagsa Anderson. He learned the tailoring
trade in his youth, and in June, 1881, immigrated to Pennsylvania, remaining a
short time in Antrim, Tioga county. He then came to Blossburg and worked for
L. Meyers until 1886, when he started in business for himself in the Odd Fellows'
Hall block. In 1887 he removed to his present location. He has two brothers in this
country, Eric, a coal miner at Antrim, and Frank, employed in the tailor shop.
His father died in 1878, aged fifty-three years. His mother is still living in Sweden.
Mr. Anderson was married in October, 1882, to Annie Carlson, a native of Sweden,
to which union two children were born, viz: Kate and Gustav. Mrs. Anderson
died December 25, 1884. On August 15, 1887, he married Mary N. Hyland, a
daughter of Joseph Hyland, of Blossburg, and has three children by this mar-
riage, as follows: Euth, Arthur and DeSeales. In politics, Mr. Anderson is a
Eepublican, and in religion, a member of the Lutheran church. He is also con-
nected with Blossburg Lodge, No. 167, K. of H. He is popular both as a business
man and citizen, and during the years he has been in business for himself as a mer-
chant tailor, has built up a profitable trade.

William E. Logan was bom February 9, 1849, and in 1857 came with his par-
ents, Eobert and Barbara (Shaw) Logan, to Morris Eun, Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania. His father was a coal miner and worked in the mines at Morris Eun, Fall
Brook and Arnot, until 1875, when he removed to Jackson township, where he fol-
lowed farming until his death, September 15, 1884, at the age of sixty-nine years.
His widow died March 23, 1895, aged seventy-three years. William E. was one
of fourteen children, viz: James, who enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and
Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was killed at Gettysburg; Alexander,
a chute foreman at Arnot; Eobert, manager of Bell & Lewis' stores, Dubois, Penn-



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1129



sylvania; John S., an engineer on tlie Northern Central railroad, who resides in
Bbnira; Sarah, deceased wife of James Stevenson, of Cherry Flats, Tioga county;
William E., of Blosshurg; Margaret R., wife of John B. Brown, of Covington;
Jacob, who died in October, 1881; Charles S., a physician of Amot; Barbara, de-
ceased wife of E. J. Payne, of Jackson Summit, Tioga county; Jennie R., a resident
of Blossburg; Agnes N., a school teacher of Amot; David Y., a farmer at Jackson
Summit, and Lizzie W., who died November 11, 1895. Prom 1860 to 1871, Mr.
Logan worked in the mines, but in the latter year he entered the store of the Bloss-
burg Coal Company as a clerk, and continued in the employ of their successors, W.
W. Bradbury, and the W. W. Bradbury Company, until January, 1897, when he
located in Blossburg and there opened a groceiy store, which he has since carried
on. His long experience in Amot has given him a thorough knowledge of the busi-
ness, which will prove valuable to him in his new field of effort. On October 24,
1873, he married Elizabeth Prethero, a daughter of Charles and Ann Prethero, of
Morris Run. To this union have been bom six children, viz: Robert E., a book-
keeper in the office of the Bossburg Coal Company, at Amot; M. Gertrude, William
R., deceased; Charles P., deceased; James R., and Laura M., deceased. In politics,
Mr. Logan is a Republican. He served as justice of the peace from 1889 to 1894,
and has filled the various township offices. In religion, he is a member of the
Presbyterian church, and is also connected^ with the K. of P., of Amot.

Israel Biddle was born in Canton, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, July 13,
1838, and is the third in a fiamily of eight children, born to Joseph and Elizabeth
(Headley) Biddle. His brothers and sisters are named as follows: Martha, de-
ceased; Wallace, a resident of Blossburg; Euphema, wife of Alfred J. Conklin;
Fidelo and Almerian, residents of Canton; Hettie, deceased, and Silas, also a resi-
dent of Canton. The parents were natives of Montour county, Pennsylvania, and
removed to Bradford county early in the thirties, where they passed the remainder
of their lives. Israel was reared on a farm and obtained a common school educa-
tion. He learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked until the breaking
out of the war. In April, 1861, in response to President Lincoln's first call, he
volunteered, but the quota being full his company was not accepted. In September,
1861, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers,
was mustered in as first corporal, and participated in the engagements of Ball's
Bluff, Big Bethel, Strausburg, Siege of Yorktown, New Kent Court House, Pair
Oaks, Seven Days' Eight before Richmond, and Malvern Sill. While building
an observatory or lookout, at Yorktown, he had three ribs broken by falling timbers
dislodged by shells from the rebel batteries. While engaged on the skirmish line
at Fair Oaks, May 31, 1862, his blanket, which was rolled up on his shoulders, was
riddled with bullets, and a ball was imbedded in an ambrotype in his pocket, a like-
ness of the woman who became his wife. He was honorably discharged November
10, 1862, by reason of sickness arising from his injured side. In June, 1863, he
responded to the call for Emergency Men, and enlisted in Company C, Thirtieth
Pennsylvania Militia. He was made orderly sergeant of his company, and on June
25, 1863, he was promoted to second lieutenant. He was discharged with his com-
mand, July 26, following. His brother, Wallace, served in Company C, One Hun-
dred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was severely wounded at



1130 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Antietam; while his brother Fidelo was a member of Company D, One Hundred
and Sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and his brother Almerian, of Company C,
Thirtieth Pennsylvania Militia. The two latter re-enlisted in Company D, Fiftieth
IsTew York Engineers. Mr. Biddle was married September 3, 1863, to Adelia Den-
mark, a daughter of Jesse D. and Emeline Denmark, of Ward township, Tioga
county. Seven children have been born to this union, viz: Elmer E., a resident
of Kane, McKean county; Ina E., wife of Isaac H. Cook, of Blossbuig; Bert J.,
Jesse D., Prank I., Elizabeth and Anna. After leaving the army Mr. Biddle re-
turned to Canton and resumed work at his trade. In 1871 he removed to Ogdens-
burg, Tioga county, and in 1876 settled in Blossburg, where for the past twenty
years he has worked as a carpenter. In politics, he is a Kepublican, and in religion,
a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has held the of&ce of P. C. of
Brown Post, No. 171, G. A. K., of Blossburg, for seven successive terms, excepting
the year 1894.

Patkick Dwteb was bom and reared in County Tipperary, Ireland, and there
married Mary Eyan, a native of the same county. In 1853 he came to Pennsylvania
and settled at Blossburg, Tioga county, where he worked as a laborer. When the
coal mines were opened iip at Morris Eun he removed there, remaining four years.
He next found employment in the construction of the railroad from Blossburg to
Fall Brook, settling in the latter place upon its completion, and died in that borough,
March 8, 1888, aged sixty-six years. His widow makes her home with her son-in-
law, M. S. Murray, of Blossburg. She is seventy-two years of age. They were the
parents of six children, viz: John F., of Antrim; Edward P., who died September
19, 1882; Iforah, wife of M. S. Murray, of Blossburg; Michael, a resident of Antrim;
Mary, wife of Thomas Howe, of Fall Brook, and Bridget, a resident of Blossburg.
In religion, the family are adherents of the Catholic church, and in politics, sup-
porters of the Democratic party.

John F. Dwtee, eldest son of Patrick and Mary Dwyer, was bom in Morris
Eun, Tioga county, November 6, 1854. He attended the village school until ten
years of age, when he commenced working in the mines at Fall Brook. In Sep-
tember, 1879, he went to Corning, New York, and found employment as a brakeman
until July, 1880, when he returned to Fall Brook and had charge of the shipping
of coal for the Fall Brook Coal Company until April 1, 1881. On that date he took
charge of the Fall Brook Hotel, which he managed up to May 1, 1888. He then
removed to Antrim, where he has since conducted the Antrim Hotel, and is a suc-
cessful and popular landlord. Mr. Dwyer was married June 3, 1879, to Catherine
Kain, a daughter of James and Elizabeth Kain, of Painted Post, New York, who
has borne him seven children, as follows: John F., Edward P., who died August
19, 1893; James K., Elizabeth, Mary and Joseph (twins), and Paul. In politics,
Mr. Dwyer is a stanch Democrat, and is regarded as one of the leading members of
his party in the county. He is a member of the county committee, and in 1896
was one of the Democratic congressional conferees. In religion, he is a member of
the Catholic church, and is connected with Division No. 3, A. 0. H. He is essen-
tially a self-educated and self-made man, and owes his business success to untiring
effort and strict integrity.

M. S. MuERAY, proprietor of the Seymour House, Blossburg, was bom in County



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1131



Wateriord, Ireland, May 15, 1858, and is a son of Patrick and Catherine (Shanna-
han) Murray. He is the second in a family of six children, named as follows:
John, a resident of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania; M. S., of Blossburg; Mary, wife
of M. J. Coyne, a resident of Wisconsin; William, an engineer on the Buffalo,
Eochester and Pittsburg railroad; Maggie, wife of William Daley, of Detroit, Michi-
gan, and Patrick, who died October 23, 1896. In April, 1864, the family immi-
grated to Poughkeepsie, New York, whence they removed two years later to Barclay,
Bradford county, Pennsylvania, remaining there until 1887. They then located in
Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, where the father died in February, 1893, and where
the mother is still living. The subject of this sketch was married September 38,
1882, to Norah Dwyer, a daughter of Patrick and Mary Dwyer, and has a family
of five children, viz: Mary, Edward, John, Genevieve ajid Francis. Mr. Murray
began workng in the mines when twelve years of age. In 1883 he became a clerk
in the Fall Brook Company's store, and in 1887 took charge of the Fall Brook Hotel,
which he managed successfully until January, 1895, when he leased the Seymour
House, at Blossburg, and since taking charge of the latter has largely increased its
patronage and proven himself a popular lajidlord. In polities, Mr. Murray is a
stanch Democrat, and in religion, a member of St. Andrews' Catholic church, of
Blossburg. He is a prominent member of the A. 0. H., has served several years
as county president, and in 1896 was elected state vice-president of that order. As
a business man, he is energetic and enterprising, and as a citizen, public-spirited
and progressive.

William F. O'Donnell, son of Eichard and Mary O'Donnell, was born in
Clare county, Ireland, April 10, 1845. His parents came to America in the spring
of 1854, and settled near Ealston, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania. In 1856 his
father purchased a farm near Canton, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, which he
cultivated for over thirty years. He died February 17, 1890, aged ninety-one years,
and his wife in Febmary, 1885, aged eighty-five years. The subject of this sketch is
one of nine children, of whom but two beside himself are living, viz: Mary, widow
of Daniel Downes, residing in Canton, Bradford county, and Eichard, a farmer of
Union township, Tioga county. Mr. O'Donnell received a common school education
in his youth. At the age of fifteen he went to Fall Brook and secured employment
as a woodsman. He afterwards secured the position of superintendent of mule
drivers in and about the mines at that place, filling it from 1872 to 1885. For the
next three years he was engaged in supplying and conducting a meat market in
Fall Brook. In August, 1888, he came to Blossburg, and bought the Yonkin
House, previously run by Joseph Yonkin. He changed the name to the O'Donnell
House, and carried it on until April, 1895. He then removed to Canton, intending
to embark in business. In April, 1896, he returned to Blossburg, purchased the
Murray House, and changed its name to the O'Donnell House. This he has since
successfully conducted. Mr. O'Donnell was married June 5, 1864, to Catherine
O'Donnell, a daughter of John and Nora O'Donnell, to which union nine children
have been bom, viz: Mary J., deceased; Margaret, Catherine, Elizabeth, Eichard,
Willie, deceased; John, William F., and one died in infancy. In politics, Mr.
O'Donnell is an independent, and while in Fall Brook he served as tax collector,
school director and secretary of the .school board. Mr. O'Donnell and family are



1132 HISTOBT OF TIOGA COUNTY.



members of the Catholic church. He is a member of the C. K. of A. and of the A.
0. H., and is looked upon as one of the progressive and enterprising citizens of
Blossburg.

J. D. CoNNEES, son of J. D. and Mary (Sullivan) Conners, was bom in Way-
land, Steuben county, New York. He received a common school education and
when sixteen years of age left home and went to Morris Eun, where he was employed
in a meat market, continuing there until 1892, when he removed to Blossburg, and
embarked in the wholesale liquor business, which he still carries on. He was mar-
ried September 23, 1890, to Anna Fogarty, daughter of Daniel and Anna (Blake)
Fogarty, to which union one child, May, has been bom. In politics, Mr. Conners
is a Eepublican, and in religion, a Catholic. He is a member of the A. 0. H. While
a resident of Morris Eun he filled the office of auditor. He has one brother, D. J.,
a farmer living near Curtis, New York. His mother died in 1877, and his father
in November, 1892.

Frank D. Andeews was bom in Wyoming county. New York, February 18,
1835. He came to Blossburg, Tioga coimty, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1871, and en-
gaged in the wholesale liquor business, which he has continued up to the present
time. He has ever taken an interest in the prosperity of the borough, and has done
much to promote its general welfare. He has been elected burgess of Blossburg
four times, and his previous terms were most successful in all the departments com-
ing under his jurisdiction. The streets were permanently improved, the cross walks
and culverts made of stone, the fire department well-equipped, the debt of the bor-
ough reduced and its affairs placed on an economical and business basis. The sub-
ject of water works had been agitated from time to time, without accomplishing the
desired purpose. Failing to enlist the council and the people in the enterprise of
putting in water works on their own account, Mr. Andrews was largely instrumental
in enlisting capital from another locality to accomplish the work, thus protecting,
to a large extent, the property of citizens from destructive fires and giving the
people an opportunity of securing pure water for drinking and culinary purposes.
Mr. Andrews is now filling his fourth term as burgess. He is a public-spirited
citizen, and highly respected for his integrity of purpose and for his interest in the
public good.

Fbancis Louis Viel was born in France, about the year 1815, and, while yet
a young man, removed to the Isle of Jersey, where he married Duce LeHuquet,
who bore him five children, viz: Mary Ann, wife of B. Vaselin, of Blossburg; Ann,
wife of Mr. Lainare, a resident of France; Francis A., of Blossburg; Elizabeth, wife
of Peter Eussell, of Aukland, New Zealand, and Jane, wife of Peter Bruielly, of
Blossburg. Mr. Viel, who was a contractor and builder, came to the United States
in 1881, and made his home with his son, Francis A., of Blossburg, Tioga coimty,
until his death. He died March 10, 1886, and his wife, in 1884.

Feancis a. Viel, only son of Francis Louis Viel, was bom on the Isle of
Jersey, August 23, 1847. He received a common school education, and served an
apprenticeship to the mason's trade. Coming to Pennsylvania in 1873, he located
in Blossburg, Tioga county, where he followed contracting and building until De-
cember, 1894, when he bought out the hardware and tinsmithing establishment of
Miller & Eussell. Mr. Viel was married January 1, 1867, in the Isle of Jersey, to



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1133



Ann LeVesconte, to which union there haye been bom four children, viz: Anna,
deceased; Morenee, wife of William Besanceney, of Blossburg; Francis, and Annie.
Mr. Viel is a stanch Democrat, and has filled the office of borough assessor. He
is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church, and is also connected with the
Masonic and Odd Fellows' societies. He carried on a general hardware and tin-
smithing btfsiness up to November, 1896, and is now engaged in contracting and
building.

Albeet Beutee, son of Frederick and Lena (Plank) Beuter, was bom May
31, 1861, in Liberty township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. Two brothers, Wil-
liam and Henry, and one sister, Ethel, as well as his father and mother, reside in
Charleston township; while one brother, Perry, and a sister, Laura, are dead. The
subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, and received a common school educa-
tion. In 1889 he went to Mansfield and worked in the saw-mill of Wilson Day.
In 1891 he came to Blossburg, and makes teaming his occupation, devoting himself
principally to delivering coal from the mine of Golden Brothers. Mr. Beuter was
married in March, 1885, to Anna Clemens, a daughter of Nicholas Clemens, of
Charleston township, Tioga county. They have three children: Harry, Lawrence
and Frederick. In politics, Mr. Beuter is a Democrat.

Nicholas Schultz, son of Andrew and Margaret (Zimmer) Schultz, was bom
in Prussia, Germany, January 18, 1844, and is the oldest of three children, born
to the first marriage of his father, his brother John, an engineer in the Staat-
Zeitung building, in Chicago, and himself being the only survivors. His mother
died in Germany in 1851, and his father married Theresa Vietchie, a native of
Baden, Germany. Jasper, the first-born of this union, and Jacob, the second, are
residents of Cohocton, Steuben county. New York. Mr. Schultz came to the
United States in 1850, and located in Syracuse, New York, where he was joined
by his sons, John and Nicholas, who came from Germany with an uncle, a few years
later. In 1861 the parents moved to Cohocton, where they still, reside, the father
being seventy-nine years of age. The subject of this sketch received a common
school education, and began life for himself as a farm hand in Herkimer county.
New York, where he worked for two years. He then found employment one year
with the Onondaga Salt Company, and later was a watchman for Stiles Eust, of
Syracuse, two years. He then entered the employ of Franklin N. Drake, of Cohoc-
ton, remaining there until 1866, when Mr. Drake transferred him to Amot, Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, where the coal mines were then being opened up. At the
time Mr. Schultz located in Amot there were but three houses in the place. He
went to work in the saw-mill as head sawyer and saw setter, continuing there for
three years, when he was given the position of saw filer, which he filled until 1881,
when he was made outside foreman of the mills at Amot, a position he has since
filled in a satisfactory manner. Mr. Schultz was married in July, 1869, to Margaret
Muntz, a daughter of John Muntz, of Cohocton, New York, and is the father of
seven children, named as follows: John, a resident of Cohocton; Margaret, de-
ceased; Frank, Flora, wife of James Creighton, of Amot; William, Nora, deceased,
and Eay. In politics, Mr. Schultz is a Democrat, and in religion, a member of the
Catholic church, of Arnot. He is also a member of the Father Matthew Branch



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 155 of 163)