Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 158 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 158 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a Democrat, but joined the Eepubliean party in 1860. He filled the ofiices of super-
visor, school director and oollector in Mifilin township, Lycoming county, and spent
his entire life engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was a member of the Evangelical
Protestant church. His death occurred in August, 1864, and that of his wife, in
November, 1890. He remjsved to Lycoming county in 1846, where he spent the
remaining years of his life.

Benjamin Maneval, second son of David Maneval, and grandson of Peter
Maneval, was bom in Liberty township, Tioga county, April 8, 1842, and was four
years old when the family removed to Lycoming county. He there grew to maturity
and learned the blacksmith's trade at Linden, Lycoming county, and Turbottville,
Northumberland county. He worked at his trade in those two counties until the
spring of 1865, when he returned to Liberty township, Tioga county, settled at
Nauvoo, and has since followed blacksmithing and farming at that place. January
1, 1865, he married Mary Linck, of Moms township, who has borne him five children,
viz: Elizabeth, wife of Freemont Russell, of Omaha, Nebraska; Charles E., William
H., Lydia May, and one that died in infancy. Mr. Maneval is a stanch Republican,



1148 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



has served as a school director, and in religion, is an adherent of the Evangelical
Protestant church. He is one of the prosperous and progressive citizens of his native
township.

William H. Maneval, youngest son of Benjamin Maneval, was born in Liberty
township, Tioga county, July 11, 1871. After attending the common schools of
the district, he settled down on the homestead farm, where he has remained up to
the present. He is an ardent Eepublican, and is now filling the office of school
director. In 1896 he was a candidate for county commissioner, and considering
the number of candidates in the field, he received a flattering vote. Mr. Maneval
is a member of the Union church at Nauvoo.

Lewis Moyee was bom in Wurtemburg, Germany, in 1829, a son of Jacob
Moyer, a native of the same place. His father immigrated to Pennsylvania, remained
a short time at Mauch Chunk, and in 1831 came to Liberty township, Tioga county,
and settled near the old "Block House." Here he spent the remaining years of his
life, dying at the age of seventy-five. Lewis was but two yeais old when his parents
settled in Liberty township. He was reared on the homestead farm, and attended
the common schools of his district. In 1854 he married Mary Kopp, a daughter of
John Kopp, of Liberty tovmship, to which union have been bom seven children,
as follows: Henry L., Minerva, wife of John S. Brion, who has three sons, Edwin,
Charles and Iver; Almina, deceased; Ida C, wife of George D. James, a native of
Derbyshire, England, who lives in Liberty township; William W., Edmond and one
that died in infancy. On February 21, 1865, Mr. Moyer enlisted in Company D,
Ninety-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was discharged from the service at
Washington, D. C, June 39, 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Moyer are members of the Evan-
gelical church. In politics, he is a Democrat, and one of the substantial farmers of
the township.

Alexander Hahvey was born in Scotland, in 1820, and immigrated to the
United States in the early sixties. He spent a short time in the Pittsburg region
and then located at Amot, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, before the railroad was
completed into that now famous coal field. He was among the pioneers of what is
now one of the leading coal fields in Pennsylvania. Mr. Harvey was a good citizen,
and was widely known for his honesty, integrity and originality. He had a family of
ten sons and one daughter, all of whom were in the employ of the Arnot Coal Com-
pany. Seven sons and one daughter are living, viz: Four sons in Amot, one in
Alaska, one in Colorado, and one in Parrandsville, Clinton county, while the daugh-
ter lives on the homestead farm in Liberty township with her widowed mother, who
still retains a strong and vigorous constitution at the age of seventy-six years. Prior
to the death of two sons, one of whom was killed in Colorado and the other in the
woods near Amot, it was no uncommon thing to see the parents and their eleven
children all together at the home farm. Through the frugal habits of Mrs. Harvey,
they finally saved enough to purchase a good farm of 320 acres in Liberty township,
Tioga county, and there Mr. Harvey passed his declining years, after being connected
with mining for half a century. He died on his farm in Liberty, January 9, 1895,
and was interred beside his three sons in Blossburg cemetery. The family were all
ardent Eepublicans, and in 1880 Mr. Harvey and his ten sons marched to the polls



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1149



and voted for James A. Garfield for president, an event which brought their names
into local prominenee.

The oldest son, John C. Harvey, is perhaps the best known of the children. He
had traveled extensively before locating in Tioga county, and induced the family
to come to the coal region. He became well known over Tioga county, especially
in political and labor circles, and his advice was keenly sought in all mining troubles.
He was foremost in the memorable fight for the establishment of check-weighmen
on the tipples, in opposition to the Erie Eailroad Company. He has always been a
stanch Eepublican, and his influence in the coal region was recognized by the local
party leaders. Mr. Harvey is now employed with the famous Farrandsville Fire
Brick Company, of Farrandsville, Clinton county. He claims that Tioga county
is underlaid with as good fire clay as exists in the State. He has been employed on
several occasions to trace the fire clay strata from the West Branch and Scootac
regions to the borders of Tioga county. This he hopes to see developed in the near
future, and Blossburg become one of the fire brick centers of Pennsylvania.

Samuel Haetman was bom in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, August 35, 1833,
a son of Samuel Hartman, Sr. His father was born in Bucks county, Pennsyl-
vania, January 4, 1791, there grew to manhood, and in 1821 married Margaret
Miller, of Selins Grove, Snyder county. They soon after removed to Williamsport,
and in 1836 settled in Jackson township, Lycoming county, where both spent the
remaining years of their lives. Their family consisted of the following children:
Jacob, Samuel, Jonas H., Catherine, who married Kieholas Fessler; Mrs. Harriet
N. Baird, who lives in New Jersey; Henry, who died at Fort Scott, Kansas; Sarah
A., who married Daniel Hartman; Julia A., who married C. Meaker; Margaret,
who married Charles Harman, of Wisconsin; M. D., who lives at Fort Scott, Kan-
sas, and Eliza C, widow of Eev. T. Morris, of Williamsport. The subject of this
sketch was three years old when his parents located in Jackson township, Lycoming
county. He spent his boyhood on the homestead in that township, and at the age
of twenty-three married Mary A. Werline, a daughter of Isaac Werline, of Liberty
township, Tioga county. In March, 1861, Mr.Hartman located in Liberty, where
he soon afterwards engaged in the drug and mercantile business, which he followed
until 1893, when he retired from active labor. Mr. and Mrs. Hartman have reared
several adopted children, viz: Catherine Werline, Joseph W. Hartman, a nephew,
who enlisted in the army at the age of fifteen; Thomas Hartman, Delia Applegate,
Mary and Isabella. Mr. Hartman. 4ias been identified with the churches and Sab-
bath-schools of Liberty for many years, and has also filled the offices of school di-
rector and treasurer.

Geobge Beck was one of the oldest citizens in Liberty township at the time of
his death, November 13, 1896. He was boim in Jackson township, Lycoming
county, Pennsylvania, July 9, 1817, a son of Daniel Beck, who came from Mauch
Chunk, Pennsylvania, in 1813-14, and settled on a farm in Jackson township, Lycom-
ing county. His grandfather, Andrew Beck, came to the United States from
Neidergelheim, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, at an early day, and settled in the coal
regions, whence the family removed to Lycoming county, locating in Jackson town-
ship, south of the old "Block House." The subject of this sketch was left an orphan
at the age of two years, attended the common schools of his native township in boy-



1150 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

hood, and assisted his grandfather, Miller, in the duties of the farm. At the age
of eighteen he went to Williamsport, where he followed blaeksmithing three years.
In 1839 he purchased 100 acres of land, a part of the old homestead, and began
farming. In 1844 he married Catherine Taylor, of Muncy, Lycoming county, who
became the mother of nine children, as follows: Jonas D., of Liberty; L. H., of
Elmira; John S., a farmer of Cogan House township, Lycoming county; George
W., deceased; Uriah 6., a dentist of Elmira; Warren P., also a resident of that
city; Mary Margaret, deceased; one that died in infancy, and William B., who died
at the age of twenty-two years. Several members of the family are well known
inventors and patentees. Jonas D. has invented and patented a machinist's vise;
also invented an automatic boiler-feeder which keeps the water at any height desired
without waste of steam or fuel, and an electric light. L. H., Uriah G. and Warren
F. are the inventors of the Eureka Cash Eegister and Pass Book System, now
established at Scranton, Pennsylvania, in which they sold their interest, and later
invented the Standard Pass Book System, since succeeded by the Standard Account
System, now established in Elmira, New York, with a cg.pital of $50,000. L. H.
Beck is employed by the Standard Account Company, successor of the Standard
Pass Book Company, in which he and his brothers are financially interested as
patentees. George Beck spent nearly his entire life in agricultural pursuits, but
finally retired from active labor to enjoy the fruits of his industry. At the time
of his death he was one of the oldest and most respected citizens of the community.

Heney Youdis was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, May 8, 1858, a
son of Frederick and Christina (Weaver) Youdis. His father was bom in Germany,
in 1819, and came to Lycoming county with his parents when but nine years old.
They settled in Jackson township, where Frederick grew to maturity. He was
twice married. By his marriage to Christina Weaver, a daughter of Henry Weaver,
were born three children: Sena, wife of Levi Hartsock; Henry, of Liberty town-
ship, and George, who lives in Jackson township, Lycoming county. Frederick's
second wife was Lizzie Callenback, of Lycoming county, who bore him three chil-
dren, viz: Sarah, Mina and Charles. He was a Eepublican in politics, and a
Lutheran in religion. He died in February, 1890. Henry was reared in Jackson
township, there attended the common schools, and worked on the homestead faxm
until his marriage. On February 11, 1884, he married Laura Hartsock, a daughter
of K. H. Hartsock, of Liberty township, and settled upon the farm where he still
resides. They are the parents of three children: Manie, Mervin and Clair. Mr.
Youdis is an independent voter, supporting men rather than party. He makes a
specialty of stock raising and sugar making, in which branches of agriculture he
has been quite successful.

John Duff was bom in Bonny Bridge, Sterlingshire, Scotland, in 1838. His
father was a sergeant in the British army, and some of his ancestors fought against
Napoleon. In possession of the Duff family is a pair of eye glasses of peculiar make,
encased in a tortoise shell frame, which belonged to a grand uncle of Mr. DufE.
They were used by General Abercrombie in his Egyptian campaign, and are highly
prized by the Duff family. They also own an ancient Bible, published in Scotland.
The svibject of this sketch was reared in his native land, and was there married ia
1868, to Jane Shaw, a daughter of David Shaw, of Dumbartonshire. In 1881 he



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1151



came to the United States with his two sons, and stopped a few days in Fall
Brook, Tioga county, Pennsylvajiia. He then went to Arnot and found employ-
ment with the Tioga Kailroad Company. Here his wife joined him in April, 1883.
He remained with the Tioga Railroad Company about one year, and later found
employment with the Blossbbrg Coal Company, for which he worked three or four
years. At the end of this time he purchased a farm in Liberty township, Tioga
county, and has since devoted his attention to agriculture in connection with mining
and other pursuits. To Mr. and Mrs. Duff were born four children, viz: James,
bom in Scotland, February 3, 1870, who is engaged in mining and farming; David
S. and John H., twins, born in Scotland, June 4, 1873, both of whom axe engaged
in mining, and Jessie C, born February 9, 1874, who lives at home. In religion,
the family are Presbyterians, and in politics, adherents of the Republican party.
They are also members of Sebring Grange, No. 1047, P. of H. Mrs. Duff died
March 6, 1894.

Michael McMahon was born in County Clare, Ireland, January 6, 1838, a son
of Michael McMahon, also a native of Ireland, who immigrated to the United States
in 1848. His father was a distant relative of Marshal McMahon, of France, com-
mander of the French forces under Napoleon, and subsequently president of the
French Republic. He settled in Elmira, New York, where he lived two years,
engaged in farming and working on what was then known as the New York and
Lake Erie railroad. In 1850 he came to Jackson township, Tioga county, in which
year his wife and six children came to the United States. The subject of this sketch
was then twelve years old. He had attended the common schools of his native land,
and afterwards went to the academy at Troy, Pennsylvania. In 1853 he located in
Elmira, and followed farming and railroading. In 1863 he came to Nauvoo, Lib-
erty township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in general merchan-
dising, removing in 1867 to the farm on which he now resides. From 1868 to 1870
he was engaged in the mercantile business in Liberty, during which time he also
followed farming, and did considerable lumbering in Jackson and Pine townships,
Lycoming county. He introduced and bred what was known as the "Clay" or
"McMahon" horses in Tioga county, and was also a breeder of fine cattle. In 1883
he married Minda Reed, a daughter of Isaac Reed, d Liberty township, Tioga
county, and has one son, Michael K., born July 5, 1885. In politics, Mr. McMahon
is a Republican.

William H. Leisenking is a native of Liberty township, Tioga county, where
he was bom May 4, 1844. After quitting school he went to Seneca Falls, New York,
and learned the machinist's trade with John A. Rumsey & Company, at which he
worked until December 38, 1861. He then enlisted in Company A, Thirty-third
New York Volunteers, became color bearer, and served until March 37, 1863, when
he was discharged, but immediately re-enlisted in Company A, Third New York
Volunteers. He served in this regiment until February 9, 1863, when he was again
discharged, and again enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Forty-eighth New
York Volunteers for the three years' service. He participated in all the battles and
skirmishes in which his command took part, including the operations against Peters-
burg and Richmond, Swift Creek, Proctor's Creek, Drurys Bluff, Bermuda Hun-
dred, and Cold Harbor, where he received a sabre woujid, and also five gunshot



1152 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

wounds in the right side and leg. He was subsequently confined in the hospital at
Portsmouth Grove, Ehode Island, from June, 1864, until July, 1865, when he was
honorably discharged and returned to his home in Liberty township. March 34,
1868, Mr. Leisenring married Lodiaskia Emick, of Liberty, to which union have
been bom seven children, viz: Matilda, wife of "Wesle^ Lloyd, of Blaekwells, Tioga
county; H. W., F. L., Hannah A. and John E., both deceased; EoUa E. and Mary
Lydia. In politics, Mr. Leisenring is a stanch Eepublican, and is a member of
King Brothers Post, No. 288, G. A. E., of Liberty. He is also a member of Guyon
Lodge, No. 16, P. & A. M., of Seneca Palls, New York.

Chaeibs p. Heyleb was bom in Liberty township, Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania, March 1, 1862, was reared in his native township, and received a common .
school education. His father was a butcher, and Charles P. assisted him in that
business for twelve years. In 1887 he went to Towanda, Bradford county, where
he learned the tailor's trade, which business he worked at in that place for seven
years. In 1894 he returned to Liberty, and has since devoted his attention to his
trade in that borough. In polities, Mr. Heyler is a stanch Eepublican, and in
religion, a member of the Evangelical Protestant church. He is also connected
with Washington Camp, No. 638, P. 0. S. of A., of Liberty.

Samuel Loudenslagee was bom in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, there grew
to manhood, and spent his entire life in his native State. He married Mary
Kevel, to which union were bom fourteen children, two of whom died in infancy.
The living are as follows: Henry, George, Adaline, who married John Shugar;
Ellis, Wesley, Oscar, Clarence, Elmer, Daniel, Alice, Emma and Cora. Mr. Louden-
slager resided on his farm in Liberty township up to his death, in 1888. His widow
is living on the old homestead.

Benjamin Ievin was bom in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, in 1801., a son of
David and Mary (Sechler) Irvin. His father was bom in the North of Ireland in
1774, came to the United States when about twenty-five years old, and located in
Lehigh county, Pennsylvania. He was married in that county to Mary Sechler,
operated a distillery for several years, and finally removed to the far west, where he
died. Benjamin was educated in the common schools, and followed the manufacture
of charcoal. He married •Prudence Dunbar, and "reared the following children:
John, of Lawrenceville; Samuel, deceased; Martha, deceased wife of Leroy Gleason;
William, a resident of Big Eun, Jefferson county; David, a merchant of Union town-
ship, Tioga county; Elizabeth, wife of Augustus Veil, of Jefferson county; Alex-
ander, who died in youth; Charles, who enlisted in the Twelfth Illinois Volunteers
and was killed at Port Donelson; Emeline, who died in youth; James, who enlisted
in the Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and died while in the service, and Benjamin
P., postmaster of Scranton, Kansas. Benjamin Irvin and family removed from
Lehigh to Lycoming county in 1849-50, where they lived a few years. He then
purchased a farm in Union township, Tioga county, and resided there until his death
in March, 1891. In religion, he was a member of the Disciples church, and in
politics, a Eepublican.

John Ievin was bom in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, May 24, 1830, grew
to manhood in Lehigh and Lycoming counties, and obtained a common school edu-
cation. When twenty-one years of age he engaged as foreman in a lumber contract



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1153



on Pine creek, which position he filled for six years. He next spent three years
as a charcoal contractor for an iron factory in Lycoming county. Later he opened
a store in Ogdensburg, Union township, Tioga county, and operated the same until
the fall o-f 1861. On August 37, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred
and Sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, in which he was commissioned second lieu-
ienant. His brothers, Samuel, William and David, were in the same company. Mr.
Irvin participated in all the engagements in which his regiment took part, was pro-
moted to first lieutenant of Company D, and later to captain of Company B, and
finally commissioned major. He was wounded at the battle of Gettysburg, and
was mustered out in October, 1864, but was retained to take command of the One
Hundred and Sixth Battalion. After three months he was discharged by a general
•order, affecting all officers who had served three years. Eetuming to Tioga county,
he resumed merchandising at Ogdensburg, where he also built and operated a steam
saw-mill until the fall of 1891, when he was elected sheriff of Tioga county, a position
he filled for three years. He then located in Lawrenceville, where he has since lived.
On January 1, 1855, Mr. Irvin was married to Betsey A. Barker, a daughter of
Ambrose and Mary Barker, of Union township. Five children were born to this
marriage, viz: Martha, deceased wife of V. "W. Sheffer; Mary, wife of Henry Veil,
oi Williamsport; Emma, who died in infancy; Myrtie, wife of Curtis Treat, of
Elmira, and Minnie, wife of Eli Eoberts, of Lawrence township. Mrs. Irvin died
in Lawrenceville, December 6, 1896, a consistent member of the Church of Christ.
Mr. Irvin is a member of the P. & A. M., the I. 0. 0. P., and the K. of P., and is also
connected with theUnion Veteran Legion and the G. A. E. In politics, he is a
Republican, and has always taken an active interest in public affairs.

JoH2sr Geeen was one of the lumber operators in this section of Pennsylvania
iorty years ago. He was a native of Westchester county, New York, bom in 1785,
a son of Isaiah and Elizabeth (Purman) Green, natives of the same State. His
father was a farmer near the famous "Sleepy Hollow," in Westchester county, and
reared a family of seven children, viz: William, John, Fannie, Amy, Rhoda, Jacob
-and Samuel. The subject of this sketch received a good education, and subsequently
•secured a position as clerk in a wholesale house in New York City. After a short
time he became proprietor of a large store in that city, which he afterward sold and
opened stores at New Bedford, Massachusetts, and Poughkeepsie, New York, where
he carried on business successfully up to 1836. In that year he sold his business
interests and purchased a farm near Poughkeepsie, on which he lived five years.
In 1841 he disposed of this property and came to Williamsport, Pennsylvania. He
had purchased 20,000 acres of timber lands in Lycoming county in 1838, 15,000 of
■which he had sold prior to his settlement in Williamsport. He was the incorporator
of and a large stockholder in the Eed Eun Coal Company at Eoaring Branch, and
also owned and operated a saw-mill at that point. He finally removed from Wil-
liamsport to Eoaxing Branch, where the remaining years of his life were passed.
Mr. Green married Eliza Shearman, a daughter of David Shearman, who bore him
a family of nine children, as follows: Ann and Elizabeth, both of whom died in
youth; David, a prominent surveyor and later in the employ of the United States
treasury department, who died in 1878; Mary, who lives with her brother, Charles
S.; John E., who died in childhood; Charles S., a resident of Eoaring Branch;



1154 HISTOET OP TIOGA COUNTY.

John B., who lives in the same village; Moa.tgoniery, deceased; Hannah T., who
makes her home with Charles S., and Henry C, superintendent of the lumber de-
partment of the Eed Run Coal Company, at Ealston. Mr. Green died at Eoaring
Branch, in December, 1866, and his wife in Williamsport, in March, 1861.

Chaeles S. Gkeen is the second oldest living child of John and Eliza Green,
and one of the prominent and successful lumber dealers in northern Pennsylvania.
He was bom in Poughkeepsie, New York, July 6, 1839, there attended the public
schools in boyhood, and completed his education at what is now Dickinson Semi-
nary, in "Williamsport, then a private school for boys. Soon after leaving school
he began clerking in a drug store in Williamsport, going one year later to New
York City, where for two years he continued the same occupation. Eemoving to
New Bedford, Massachusetts, he clerked in a book store for eleven years, thus ob-
taining a thorough knowledge of the mercantile business. In June, 1855, he came
to Eoaring Branch, where he erected a mill for the manufacture of shingles, barrel
staves and heading, and two years later opened a general store, which he carried on
up to 1883. In 1891 he re-opened the Eed Eun Coal Company's mines, at Ealston,
of which he is general manager, and where the company also carry on an extensive
lumber business. Soon afterwards the Ealston Brick Company was organized for
the manufacture of dry pressed brick from clay found in the Eed Eun mines, in
which Mr. Green is largely interested and treasurer of the company. His lumber
business at Eoaring Branch consists in the manufacture and sale of all kinds of hem-
lock and hard wood lumber. In 1871 he built his handsome residence on the hill
overlooking the beautiful valley of Eoaring Branch, and it is a model of comfort
and convenience. The family are members of the Society of Friends, and in poli-



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 158 of 163)