Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 159 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 159 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ties, Mr. Green is a Eepublican. He is one of the wealthy and substantial citizens
of Tioga county, in which he has lived for more than forty years.

George E. Teipp was bom in Washington county. New York, July 13, 1825,
obtained a common school education, and subsequently engaged in farming and
lumbering. On February 11, 1855, he married Mahala Austin, of New York state,
who bore him one daughter, Alice, now the wife of William Dann, of Ogdensburg,
Tioga county. Mr. Tripp came to Tioga county in 1858, and in 1861 enlisted in
Company D, One Hundred and Sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers. At the end of one
year he was discharged on account of disability, but in 1864 he again enlisted, this
time in Company G, Two Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was
wounded at Fort Fisher and sent to Mercy Hospital, in New York City, where he
remained for one year, and was finally discharged in May, 1865. He has never fully
recovered from the effects of the wound, being almost as helpless as a child, but is
still proud of the fact that it was received while fighting for his country. In politics,
he is a stanch Eepublican, and in religion, a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church. Mr. Tripp is also connected with Ingram Post, No. 91, G. A. E., of Canton.

MOEEIS TOWNSHIP.

Enoch Blackwell, Se., was born and reared in Haven Parish, Gloucestershire,
England. In 1805 he came to the United States as one of a colony of settlers organ-
ized by Eev. John Hey, of Philadelphia, for the purpose of settling on certain lands
in Pine township, Lycoming county, the lands located upon being still known as



BIOGHAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1155



the "English Settlement." He died at Jersey Shore in 1816, while on a business
trip. He was twice married, his first wife being Mary Perrine, of Haven Parish,
who bore him the following children: John, who came to America with his parents
and died in Bradford county, Pennsylvania; William, the founder of Blackwells,
Tioga county; Enoch, who died in England; Nancy, who married Henry Tomb;
Sarah, who married John Gamble; Phoebe, who married Joel Shearer and settled in
Eoek county, Illinois, and Hannah, who became the wife of Bben Haydock, of ISTew
Jersey. Mr. Blaekwell's second wife survived him and became the wife of John
Campbell, a pioneer of ISTelson township, Tioga county. The children of the second
marriage were Enoch, afterwards a prominent citizen of Nelson, and Mary, who
mairied Kobert Campbell, of the same township.

William Blackwell, second son of Enoch and Mary Blackwell, was bom in
Haven Parish, Gloucestershire, England, June 21, 1790. He came to the United
States in 1804, preceding his parents one year. He rejoined them on their arrival
at Philadelphia, and settled in Pine township, Lycoming county. In 1811 he pur-
chased froni^his father 120 acres of land on Pine creek, in Tioga county, both above
and below the mouth of Babb's creek, on which he located in 1817, and became the
founder of the village of Blackwells. He engaged in cutting and rafting square
timber down Pine creek and the Susquehanna, which business he followed many
years. In 1815 he married Sarah Morrison, of Lycoming county, who became the
mother of seven children, viz: Mary Ann, who married Eobert Steele, of Delmar;
George and Enoch, residents of Blackwells; John, deceased; William, a physician
of Blackwells; James, of Morris township, and Sarah, widow of Gurdon Steele, of
Delmar. Mr. Blackwell died December 6, 1859, and his wife, in January, 1881,
aged eighty-six years.

Enoch Blackwell, second son of William Blackwell, and grandson of Enoch
Blackwell, Sr., was bom at Blackwells, Tioga county, January 29, 1834. He ob-
tained a common school education, and since arriving at manhood has been exten-
sively engaged in lumbering, merchandising and farming. He is still in the lumber
business, and pursues a busy life. Mr. Blackwell was married October 3, 1847, to
Mary E. Webster, a daughter of Sylvester and Tamar Webster, of Liberty township,
to which union were bom the following children: Horace W., a resident of Morris
township; Clara Ann, wife of William H. Walters, of Pine township, Lycoming
county; Thomas, a resident of Blackwells; Addie, wife of Henry Tidd, of Piae
township; Eugene and Sylvester, of Blackwells; Harriet, wife of William Plank,
of Morris township, and Miles, a merchant of Morris. Mrs. Blackwell died March
23, 1894, and he was again married, June 26, 1895, to Matilda Callahan, widow of
Perry Callahan, of Delmar township. Mr. Blackwell has devoted most of his life
to lumbering, and has followed every department of that business, from scaler of
logs to mill owner and operator. He was also engaged in merchandising at Black-
wells for a number of years. Politically, a stanch Eepublican, he has filled various
township ofiices, and was postmaster at Blackwells from 1862 to 1886. He is
recognized as one of the representative citizens of his native county.

AirGirsTTTS G. Seaman was bom near Unadilla, Otsego county, New York,
April 36, 1831, a son of William and Mary Seaman. His father was a native of
England and his mother of Connecticut, and pioneer settlers of Otsego county.



1156 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Their children were named as follows: Benjamin S., deceased; Mary Ann, de-
ceased wife of William Baisley; Mrs. Sarah Davis, deceased; William, who resides,
in Otsego county; Augustus G., of Morris township; Serena M., deceased wife of
Joseph Hopkins; Marietta, wife of Edward Bowen; James, a resident of Chenango
county. New York; Catherine L., wife of Francis Walker; Cyrus, a resident of
Unadilla, and Adeline, wife of Edward Granger. The parents died on the home-
stead in Otsego county, the father at the age of seventy-seven, and the mother at
the age of sixty-six. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county
and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1844, settling on fifty acres of land in
Morris township, near the Lycoming county line, to which he has since added a tract
of fifty acres. He has devoted his attention to farming and lumbering. On De-
cember 34, 1846, he married Louisa Childs, a daughter of Eichaxd and Margaret.
Childs, and has one son, William W. In politics, Mr. Seaman is a Republican, and
has filled the offices of supervisor, collector and school director in Morris township.
He is a well known and highly esteemed citizen of Morris and one of its oldest living
residents.

William W. Seaman, only child of Augustus G. and Louisa Seaman, was born
on the homestead farm in Morris township, Tioga county, April 9, 1848. He at-
tended the common schools of his district and devoted himself to farmiag and lum-
bering until 1880, when he engaged in exploring for coal in Clearfield, Jefferson and
Centre counties, for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, achieving marked success
and earning a well-deserved reputation in that line. Mr. Seaman also purchased the
option on 60,000 acres of coal lands near Clearfield, and later associated with him
Hon. William A. Wallace, of Clearfield, and Hon. S. E. Peale, of Lock Haven, and
they organized the Clearfield Bituminous Coal Company, which owned 35,000 acres
of land and had a capital stock of $5,000,000, upon which at present the Beech
Creek and 'New York Central railroads carry on their soft coal operations, in
Clearfield and Centre counties. In 1895 he returned to his farm in Morris town-
ship and has since been engaged in farming and lumbering. Mr. Seaman was mar-
ried September 17, 1863, to Annie Irwin, a daughter of Henry Irwin. She died
in 1881. In 1883 he married LiUie Boyer, a daughter of Samuel and Angeline
Boyer, of Centre county. To this union have been bom eight children, all of whom
are living, viz: Louisa, W. A., Angeline, Samuel, Florence, Lillie, Richard and
Landius. Mr. Seaman is one of the largest land owners in Tioga county, his lands
lying in both Tioga and Lycoming. Much of it is covered with hemlock, pine and
hard-wood timber and is very valuable. His lumbering operations axe extensive
and he ranks among the substantial business men and leading farmers of the county.
On October 5, 1894, his fine residence, which cost $13,000, was destroyed by fire. In
the summer of 1896 he erected his present residence at a cost of $14,000. In
politics, Mr. Seaman is a Republican, and in 1896 was one of the conferees of Tioga
county that met at Williamsport and nominated Hon. Horace B. Packer for Con-
gress. He has also filled the offices of school director, supervisor and justice of the
peace, and is a citizen of commendable enterprise and public spirit.

Stlvestee Webstee was bom at Athens, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, in
1804, a son of Aaron and Mary Elizabeth (Campbell) Webster. His parents re-
moved from Bradford county to the Cowanesque valley, Tioga county, a few years



BIOGHAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1157



after his birth, where his father operated a tajinery until his death, in 1813. Aaron
Webster was the father of three children, viz: Maria, who married William Em-
mick; Lyman, who settled in one of the western States, and Sylvester. His widow
married William Babb, a son of Samson Babb, the pioneer settler of Morris town-
ship. The subject of this sketch learned the carpenter's trade and became a miller.
He erected a saw-mill and a grist-mill at Nauvoo, Tioga county, for Jeremiah Black
at an early day. In 1824 he married Tamar Bmmick, to whom were born six chil-
dren, viz: J. E., of Morris township; Mary Elizabeth, deceased wife of Enoch
Blackwell, of Blackwells; Lydia Jane, deceased wife of George Clark, of Brown,
township, Lycoming county; Arminta, wife of James Morrison, of Cedax Eun;
Harriet, deceased wife of Bethuel Diggen, of Muncy, and Anna. Mr. Webster died
September 33, 1889, and his wife, July 23, 1840.

J. E. Webstee, eldest son of Sylvester and Tamar Webster, was bom in Liberty
township, Tioga county, September 9, 1827, and was reared upon a farm. In 1860
he removed to Morris, residing there until 1871, when he located on his present farm
in Morris township. July 4, 1850, he married Alsina Steele, a daughter of James'
and Hannah Steele, to which union have been reared the following children: Wil-
liam J., deceased; Walter, a resident of Morris; Martha, wife of William O'Connor,,
of Wellsboro; Orrin, a resident of Potter county; Daniel, of Morris; Eobert, whO'
lives in West Virginia; Homer 6., a resident of Morris township; Sylvester J. and
Lowell E., both residing in Potter county. Mr. Webster is a Republican, in politics;
has been township supei-visor during 1862-63; a school director for fifteen years;,
census enumerator in 1890, and is now township assessor. During the Civil War
he served in Company P, Thirty-fifth Pennsylvania Militia, known as Emergency
Men. In rehgion, he is a member of the Baptist church.

Andeew Dinnisojt was born in Scotland, March 4, 1804, and grew to man-
hood in his native land. His wife, Mary, was bom December 28, 1814. In 1849-
they immigrated to Pennsylvania and settled in Jackson township, Lycoming county,
where he died April 4, 1865. His wife died April 36, 1888. They were the parents
of the following children: Maiy, wife of James McNeil, of Saginaw county, Michi-
gan; Jane, wife of Charles Naylor, of Lycoming county; James, gf Morris town-
ship; John, who died June 11, 1888; Sarah, wife of Andrew Wylie, of Liberty town-
ship, and William, a resident of the same township.

James Dinnison was bom in Scotland, June 15, 1839, a son of Andrew and
Mary Dinnison, and was ten years old when his parents settled in Lycoming county.
He grew to manhood on the old homestead, and came to Tioga county in 1866, locat-
ing immediately west of Nauvoo, in Morris township. He became a partner with
Eobert Custard in the old Nelson Boot saw-mill property. In 1869 he bought hiS'
partner's interest in the mill and has since carried on the enterprise alone. The
mill was destroyed by fire and re-built, and was washed out by the flood of 1889,
and again re-built. Since 1893 Mr. Dinnison has also operated a roller buckwheat
mill and a buhr feed mill in the building foirmerly used as a woolen facto^ry. Both
mills are run by water power. Mr. Dinnison was married November 7, 1871, to Har-
riet Plank, a daughter of John Plank, to which union have been bom eight children^
viz: Mary M., who died September 31, 1877; Sarah J., John F., James A., Ada
Elizabeth, Adam B., who died December 15, 1895; William and Euth. In politics,.



1158 HI3T0ET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Mr. Dinnison is a Prohibitionist, and in religion, a member ol the Lutheran church.
He has served as school director and township treasurer. He combines farming
with his milling business, and owns and cultivates a farm of ninety-two acres ia
Liberty township. Honorable and upright in all his dealings, he enjoys the respect
and esteem of the community.

Isaac F. Black was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, October 16, 1835.
He obtained a common school education, and also a good knowledge of book-keep-
ing, after which, in 1856, he began clerking in Jeansville, Luzerne county. He
was soon after promoted to book-keeper, and in 1860 formed a partnership with J.
F. Eandolph, Jr., and continued merchaadising in that place. He later sold his
interest and removed to Eohrsburg, Columbia county, where he engaged in the
general mercantile business. In 1882 he came to Morris, Tioga county, and pur-
chased the Black Hotel property, from William Black, and carried on that business
successfully until 1893, when he rented the house to B. A. Kennedy, his son-in-law.
In 1866 he married Emma E. Kleiber, who bore him one daughter, Ella, now the
wife of E. A. Kennedy, of Morris. Mrs. Black died December 33, 1894. In politics,
Mr. Black is a Democrat. He is Past Chancellor of Woodland Lodge, No. 375, K.
of P., of Hoytville, and is also a member and financial secretary of Washington
Camp, No. 624, P. 0. S. of A., of the same place. He has filled the offices of school
director and auditor, and is one of the best known citizens of Morris township.

Thomas J. Biemingham, son of Thomas and Mary (Brooks) Birmingham,
was bom at Pine City, Chemung county, New York, February 9, 1870. His' parents
were natives of Ireland and came to Elmira, New York, in 1866, later removing to
Pine City, where his father became a tannery employe. In 1878 he came to Tioga
county, settling at Millerton, Jackson township. He afterwards became a railroad
employe, and was accidentally killed at Seely Creek, New York, June 10, 1886.
His wife died at Pine City, October 5, 1876. To Thomas and Mary Birmiagham
were born six children, viz: Patrick, a resident of Morris; Mary, wife of John
Leonard, of Blossburg; Annie, wife of John McNamara, of the same place; Thomas
J., of Morris; Bridget and Michael, aiso residing in Morris. The subject of this
sketch received a common school education, and when fifteen years of age entered
the store of W. W. Tate, of Morris, for whom he clerked one year. The following
eight years he was in the employ of E. E. Kelts, of the same place, whom he bought
out, April 1, 1896, and is now one of the leading merchants of the town. In poli-
tics, he is a Democrat, and is the present postmaster of Morris. He is a member of
the Catholic church and is connected with the A. 0. H. and the C. T. A. societies,
being now secretary of Sacred Heart Branch of the latter organization. Though a
young man, Mr. Birmingham ranks as one of the leading business men of Morris.
His success in business has been due to painstaking industry; a conscientious dis-
charge of duty from day to day; a genial and courteous bearing, and a high regard
for honor and honesty in all his dealings.

E. F. EoBiNsoN, physician and surgeon, was born at State Eoad, Lycoming
county, Pennsylvania, in 1862, on the old Eobinson homestead, settled by his grand-
father in 1802. After attending the public schools of Lycoming township imtil the
age of fourteen, he spent two terms at the Montoursville Normal School, and in the
winter of 1879-80, he engaged in teaching. The following summer he attended



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1159



the Muncy Normal, and taught during the winter seasons up to 1882, when he grad-
uated with high honors. He next attended the AVilliamsport Commercial College,
where he graduated, and then took a two years' course at Lock Haven Normal
School, graduating from that institution and carrying off one of the highest honors.
Selecting the medical' profession as his chosen vocation, he began his studies under
Dr. G. D. Nutt, of Williamsport. In 1886 he went to Jefferson Medical College,
Philadelphia, and graduated from that institution in 1888. After practicing for
a short time in Williamsport, he accepted the position of medical attendant at the
Cedar Eun Tannery, Leetonia, Tioga county, which he filled three years. In 1891
he located in Morris, and the following year purchased the drug store of the late
W. P. Kerr, which he has since carried on successfully in connection with his pro-
fessional duties. Dr. Eobinson is a member of the Lycoming County Medical So-
ciety, and has built up a large and lucrative practice in his present field of labor.

Peter Kline, proprietor of livery stables in Morris, was born in Sullivan
county. New York, October 8, 1863, a son of John and Kate (Hayne) Kline. His
father came from Germany, to Sullivan county. New York, in 1853, where he met
and married Kate Hayne, who bore him a family of eleven children, eight of whom
are living, viz: John and Jacob, both residents of Sullivan county. New York;
Peter, of Morris, Tioga county; Barbara, wife of Jacob Wingert; Katie, Michael,
Lizzie, wife of Conrad Metzgar, and Bertha. The subject of this sketch worked on
his father's farm up to 1883, in which year he came to Tioga county, where he
followed lumbering and Jobbing until April 1, 1896. He then erected a livery bam
in Morris, stocked it with new rigs and good horses, and has since carried on the
business. Mr. Kline was married March 10, 1890, to Kate Walter, of Sullivan
county. New York, to whom has been born three children, viz: Harry, Lizzie and
Ealph Albert. In politics, Mr. Kline is a Democrat, and in reUgion a member of the
German Presbyterian church, while his wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal
church. He is also connected with Hoytville Lodge, No. 665, 1. 0. 0. P.

E. L. KiNGSBtTBT was bom at Lake Como, Wayne county, Pennsylvania, August
17, 1853, a son of William and Mahala (Woodmansie) Kingsbury. His parents were
natives of the same county, his father being employed for a number of yeaxs as fore-
man of the woods at Lake Como tannery. His mother died in 1869, and his father
married for his second wife Samantha Stanton, and is still living at Lake Como.
The subject of this sketch worked at^the tannery at that place, where he filled the
position of weighmaster four years. In July, 1884, he removed to Hoytville, Tioga
county, where he found employment at the Brunsvrick Tannery, and has since filled
the position of outside foreman and weighmaster. In 1874 Mr. Kingsbury mar-
ried Carmith Sherwood, a daughter of Amos 0. and Lucinda Sherwood, of Wayne
county. She died on October 15, 1890, leaving six children, viz: Cora, Grace L.,
William S., Elwyn, Charles H. and Basil. On October 20, 1892, he married for
his second wife Grace Mitchell, who has one child, Lyle. Mr. Kingsbury is a Repub-
lican, and has served three terms as supervisor of Morris township. He is a member
of the I. 0. 0. F. and the K. 0. T. M. societies. Since coming to Hoytville, Mr.
Kingsbury has discharged the duties of his responsible position in a satisfactory
manner.

G. W. Darby was born in Greene county. New York, May 14, 1839, there grew



1160 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

to maturity, and in 1857 removed to Wayne county, Pennsylvania, where he worked
in a taimery for twelve years. Ketuming to Sullivan county, New York, in 1869, he
worked in a tannery there seven years, and two years in the same business in Lewis
county. In 1878 he came to Sullivan county, Pennsylvania, and worked for the
Hoyt Brothers, and in 1892 came to Hoytville to accept a responsible position in
the tannery at that place, where he is still employed. Mr. Darby has been twice
married. His first wife was Melissa C. Horton, of Mt. Pleasant, who bore him nine
•children, as follows: Delbert H., of Hoytville; Samuel, of the same place; Clarissa,
wife of Walter Hoffman, of Sullivan county; Edgar, Fred, Nettie and John, both
■deceased; Mittie and Florence. Mrs. Darby died October 30, 1889, and in Decem-
ber, 1893, Mr. Darby married Ida Moyer, of Watsontown, Pennsylvania. In poli-
ties, he is a Republican.

Delbeet H. Darby was bom in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, February 7,
1862. After leaving school he clerked in Hillsgrove, Sullivan county, Pennsyl-
vania, for three years. He afterwards learned the tanner's trade, and in 1885 went
to Petoskey, Michigan, to take charge of a tannery at that place. In 1887 he came
to Hoytville, Tioga county, where he has since filled a responsible position in the
Hoytville tannery. In 1883 Mr. Darby married Ella A. Connelly, of Hillsgrove,
^ho bore him one daughter, Delia H. Mrs. Darby died on April 23, 1887, and in
March, 1889, he married Stella J. Field, of Wellsboro. In politics, Mr. Darby is
-a Republican. He is a Past Grand of Hoytvile Lodge, No. 665, 1. 0. 0. F., and Past
•Commander of Morris Tent, No. 215, K. 0. T. M.



INDKX.



Page.

Aborigines 29

Academy Corners 420

Academy, Lawrenceville 538

Academy, The Wellsboro 275

Academy Trustees, election contest of. . 286

Academy, Union 417

Aekley, Chancy C 956

Ackley, Eoswell 956

Acreage and Production, 1890 117

Adams, Erwin J 772

Adams, Frank H 993

Adams, John S 888

Adams, John Willard, sketch of 170

Adams, John Willard, portrait of 593

Adams, Capt. Lyman 273, 993

Adams, Lyman N 993

Adams, Kobert 771

Adams, Walter C 1011

Adams, William (Mansfield) 158

Adams, William (Charleston town'fehip) . 771

Adamy, Greorge K 814

Adamy, Sylvester E 814

Addison and Pennsylvania Railroad 108

Additional Lavr Judges 138

Advertiser, The Blossburg 1126

Advertiser, The Mansfield 588

Advertiser, The Wellsboro 321

Advocate, The Millerton 549

Advocate, The Kepublican 326

Agitator, The Wellsboro 321

Agriculture, progress of 116

Agricultural Societies and Pairs 118

Alford, Chauncey 292

Alford, H. S 1006

Alford, Stephen C 1006

Allegheny Mountain Plateau 18

Allen, Dr. Adolphus 191

Allen, Almon 1055

Allen, Prof. Fordyce Almon, sketch of.. 1055
Allen, Prof. Fordyce Almon, portrait of. 257

Allen, Henry 164

Allen, Lieut. Jacob 210, 1055

Allen, Thomas 162

Anderson, Andrevr 1128

Andrews, Darius C 763

AnSrevrs, Dennis 811

Andrews, Francis M 763

Andrews, Frank D 1132

Andrews, James E 811

Angell, Daniel 880

Angell, William Darius 880

An Obdurate Judge 92

An Old Indictment 83

Ansonia, village of 473

Ansonia, origin of name 113



Page.

Anthony or Anthonyson 640

Anticlinals and Synclinals 19

Anticlinal, Wellsboro 21

Antrim, village of 495

Arbon Coal Company 104, 124

Arbon Land Company 105, 125

Archer, Dr. Eobert H 197

Argetsinger, Hugh 1079

Argetsinger, James 1079

Argus, The Tioga 512

Armenia Mountains 20

Armstrong, Rev. Hallock 834

Aenot. — First Settlement, 607; Named
Draketown, 606; Changed to Arnot,
607; Rapid Growth, 607; Business En-
terprises, 607 ; Physicians, 608; Schools,
608; The First Presbyterian Church,
60S; Christ Protestant Episcopal
Church, 609; Gethsemane Swedish
Evangelical Lutheran Church, 609; St.
Andrew's Roman Catholic Church,
609; The Swedish Free Mission, 609;
The Puritan Congregational Church,
609; Societies, 610.
Arnot and Pine Creek Railroad Com-
pany 105

Asaph PostofSce 474

Ashton, Henry A 181

Ashton, Norman A 951

Assessment of 1896, summary of 118

Associate Judges 139

Associate Justices Supreme Court of

Pennsylvania 137

Attorney Generals of Pennsylvania 137

Auditor General of Pennsylvania 137

Austin, Alvin B 1092

Austin, Caleb 767

Austin, Charles 767

Austin, C. N 767

Austin, Leander R 1092

Austin, William ' 946

Austinburg, village of 455

Avery, Charles 715

Avery, Cyrus W ,. 715

Azelta Postofiice 468

B

Babb's Creek 63

Babb, Samson 63, 487

Babcock, Charles Levi 844

Babeock, Oliver Perry 843

Babcock, Samuel Perry 843

Bache Auditorium' 349

Bache, John N., sketch of 158



1162



INDEX.



Page.

Bache, John N., portrait of 273

•Bache, William, Sr 265, 658

Bache, Mrs. William, Sr 268

Bache, William, Jr., sketch oi 658

Bache, William, Jr., portrait of 65

Bacon, Dr. Daniel. 199

Bacon, Daniel Harvey 720



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 159 of 163)