Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 47 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 47 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Edwin Royce and Scoville & Osgood, who erected a mill on Pine creek, above Round
Island.



DELMAE TOWNSHIP. 355



SCHOOLS.

The first schools were established in Wellsboro, which early became the educa-
tional center of the county. As the township was settled subscription schools were
started and were maintained until the going into effect of the public school law of
1835, after which public school districts were established and school buildings erected
for the accommodation of the children of the various districts. Among the early
teachers were Beadle Skull, Eobert Campbell, Lyman Walbridge, Erastus P. Deane
and Israel Stone. There are now thirty-one schools in the township in which thirty-
two teachers are employed, and school is taught on an average of seven months in
the year.

CHURCHES AND CEMETEEIES.

The First Baptist Church of Delmar originated in a conference held April 15,
1837,in the Butler school house. Those participating were Samuel Parrish, Elizabeth
Parrish, Cornelius Putnam, Cynderilla Putnam, Joseph Butler, Olive Butler, Thomas
Horton, Anna Horton, Isaac C. Horton, Eosanna Horton and Susan Horton. Cove-
nant meetings were thereafter held monthly. Among those added by letter or
baptism were: Nelson Field, James Campbell, Emma M. Campbell, Abigail Horton,
Sally Ann Horton, Lucinda Field, Mary Field, Elizabeth Wilcox, Simon Wilcox,
Caroline CatHn, Melissa McCluie, Harriet Hildreth, Lucy Ann Hildreth and Susan
Lawton. The foregoing, except Olive Butler, who joined the Mormons, became mem-
bers of the church, which was formally organized March 7, 1838. Several ministers of
the gospel, among them Eev. Sidney Smith, had preached in this place occasionally
before the organization of the conference. Soon after its organization Eev. B. E.
Swick came frequently from Hector, New York, preaching and performing pastoral
duties. The names of the regular pastors are as follows: Eevs. Ethan A. Hadley,
1840-41; Abijah Sherwood, 1841-44; Comfort M. Beebe, 1845-50; Abijah Sherwood,
1851-54; Myron Eockwell, 1854-58; Levi Stone, 1858-60; James Van Patten, 1861-
62; Myron Eockwell, 1863-64; Philander Eeynolds, 1864-65; Alexander Smith, 1867;
William A. Smith, 1868-69; G. W. Eemington, 1870-73; Philander Eeynolds,
1872-75; James A. Boyce, 1875-85; A. B. Browe, 1887-88; Fisher Wilson, 1889;
D. L. Lappeus, 1890; J. T. Bradford, 1893-94, and Philander Eeynolds, 1895-96.
A house of worship was erected and occupied in 1845, but was not completed
and dedicated until 1851. It was used until 1894, when a new church was built one
mile further south at Stony Fork. A parsonage lot was purchased and a parsonage
erected in the early history of the church. It was afterwards sold and the present
parsonage built in 1878. The present membership of the church is 125. A
Sunday-school has been maintained almost from the beginning of the church's
history. It now numbers sixty-eight pupils. Wilbur F. West is the superintendent.

Marsh Greek Baptist Church was organized December 3, 1880, and was the out-
growth of a revival held by Eevs. Alfred Ward and James A. Boyce in the Kennedy
Eim school house. The names of the original members are as follows: Manuel
Skelton, George W. Mason, Charles Sanders, Charles McCaslin, Jay Munson, M. P.
Kelsey, Charles Hart, Daniel Barrett, Thomas Hunt, Alfred Ward, Edward Mason,
Sarah Skelton, Charlotte Mason, Mrs. Charles Sanders, Mrs. Charles McCaslin,



356 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Nettie Barrett, Martha Kelsey, Phoebe Eolles, Esther Barrett, Helen Hunt, Emma
Campbell, Clara Paine, Caroline Holiday, Lois Beeman, Eleanor Travor, Anna
Hunt, Clara J. Sanders. The pastors of this church have been as follows: Eevs.
James A. Boyce, 1881; Alfred Ward, 1882-83; S. P. Mathews, 1884-85; no pastor,
1886-90; E. B. Cornell, 1891; J. L. Williams, 1893-94; B. M. Posten, 1895, and
W. E. Braisted, 1896. In 1894 the society dedicated a neat frame house of worship
costing $1,000. It is pleasantly located near the mouth of Heise run. This church
now numbers twenty-seven members. There are sixty-six pu.pils in the Sunday-
school of which Mrs. E. L. Beeman is the superintendent.

The Delmar Free Baptist Church was originally organized during the thirties as
the Stony Pork Free Will Baptist church. After flourishing for a time it went down
and was revived in 1843. Some years afterward another church, known as the Middle
Eidge Pree Will Baptist church, was organized, and continued in existence until
about 1874, when it merged with the church at Stony Pork, which then took its
present name. A charter was applied for and the society incorporated September
15, 1875. In 1876 the present house of worship at Draper was completed at a cost
of $2,200. Among the early ministers of this church were Elder Gowner, Calvin
Dodge and Selden Butler. Since 1866 the pastors have been as follows: Eevs.
Jacob Ingerick, 1866; Nathaniel Hart, 1868; David A. Pope, 1869; Asa Dodge,
1871; 0. C. Hills, 1874; A. G. Downey, 1881; George Donnoker, 1883; 0. C. Hills,
1885; Hiram Witcher, 1890. Eev. G. IST. White, the present pastor, took charge
in 1896, the pulpit having been vacant for several years before his coming. The
church now numbers twenty-seven members, with thirty pupils in the Sunday-
school, of which Mrs. Mary Lawton is the superintendent.

The Delmar and Shippen- Free Baptist Church was organized April 1, 1894, with
the following members: Elihu J. Dartt, Amelia Dartt, Stephen E. Campbell, Henry
Darling, P. 0. Darling, George Scranton, Eebecca Scranton, Walter Scranton,
Samuel Scranton, W. M. AVilson and Ida Wilson. The pastor since the organization
has been Eev. 0. C. Hills. The church now numbers forty-eight members. There
are seventy pupils in the Sunday-school of which 0. J. Navil is the superintendent.
In 1895 the society erected a frame house of worship, costing $1,500, in the Kennedy
postoflB.ce neighborhood.

The Coolidge Hollow Methodist Episcopal Church is the outgrowth of a class
organized over forty years ago. Among the early members were Amos Coolidge
and wife, Charles Coolidge and wife, Wesley Coolidge and wife, Joshua Peet and
wife, Lyman Meachan and wife, and William Coolidge and wife. Meetings were
held in the school house, the society being in the Wellsboro charge until 1886, when
it was placed in the Eound Top charge. In November, 1892, a neat church building
costing $1,100 was completed. The church now numbers twenty-five members.
The Sunday-school, which is in charge of Mrs. E. Watkins, has a membership of
thirty-five pupils.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Middle Ridge was organized in 1858,
the original members being Elijah Phillips and wife, Philura Phillips, Jackson
Kennedy and wife, Oliver Phillips and wife, Alvah Kennedy and wife and Henry
Wilson and wife. The early meetings were held in the Kennedy school house.
The church was first placed in the Wellsboro and in 1876 in the Delmar charge,



DELMAB TOWNSHIP. 357



and is now in the Ansonia charge. The following named ministers have served
this church as pastors since 1871: Eevs. 0. P. Livingstone, 1871-74; J. D. Reyna,
1874-75; A. A. Kennedy, 1875-76; E. D. Eawson, 1877-78; P. M. Jerolman, 1878-
80; A. G. Cole, 1880-81; E. W. Earned, 1882-83; J. E. Eussell, 1883-84; G. H.
AUatt, 1884-85; W. H. Ferrell, 1885-86; C. D. Rowley, 1886-87; A. T. Percy,
1887-93; J. S. Fausey, 1893-95, and Eev. G. W. Doane, the present pastor, who took
charge in October, 1895. This church was incorporated in 1881 and a church
building erected in the Kennedy postoffice neighborhood. It now numbers about
thirty members and maintains a Sunday-school of fifty-five pupils, of which C. C.
Maynard is the superintendent.

The Dexter Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1864. Meetings
were held in the school house and with the Middle Eidge church until 1894, when
the present house of worship was erected at a cost of $1,500. Previous to 1876 this
church was in the "Wellsboro charge, since which time it has been in the Delmar
and Ansonia charges and has been served by the same pastors as the church at
Middle Eidge. The present membership is fifty-six, with eighty pupils in the
Sunday-school, which is in charge of Mrs. George B. Mathers. There is also an
Epworth League of eighty members.

Cemeteries and graveyards, owing to its extensive area, are to be found in various
parts of the township. One of the oldest is the graveyard adjoining the old
Baptist church building at Stony Pork. The new cemetery, a few rods south, was
incorporated May 4, 1886. The only incorporated cemetery in the township beside
the one at Stony Pork is the West Branch Cemetery. It was incorporated ISTovember
37, 1883. The people of that portion of the township adjacent to Wellsboro bury
their dead in the cemeteries in that place.

VILLAGES AND POSTOi'FICES.

Stony Forh is situated in the southern part of the township, in the Stony Fork
creek valley. The first store was opened here over forty years ago by Ebenezer
Sherwood, whose successors were Peter G. Walker, Guernsey & Borden, Hiram S.
Hastings, J. S. Coles, M. S. Coles & Company, and J. W. Hastings. In 1869 W. F.
Horton opened a drug store and has continued in business to the present. In 1885
James A. Boyce erected the building now occupied by Dort Brothers, and conducted
a general store in it until the fall of 1886, having for a partner Eobert Steele, to
whom he sold. In 1890 Mr. Steele sold to Oren A. and William J. Dort. M. S.
Coles, who carries on a general store and hotel in the northern part of the village,
erected the building now occupied by him in 1883.

The village proper was laid out about thirty-five years ago by J. S. Coles, who
bought the land, previously used as a farm, from Leonard Palmer. He divided it
into lots and sold them to whoever desired them, either for business or residence
purposes. A postoffice had, however, been established previous to the purchase
of this land by Mr. Coles, the first postmaster being Hiram S. Hastings. His suc-
cessors have been J. S. Coles, Elizabeth Hoadley, Charles Orr, W. F. Horton,
Sylvester Houghton, M. S. Coles, C. S. Houghton, Oren A. Dort and W. D. Allen,
the present incumbent, who was appointed October 1, 1895. A daily stage
conveys the mail to and from Wellsboro.



358 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

After J. S. Coles purchased the village site he erected a hotel building and
carried on a hotel for a number of years. Among those who succeeded him as
landlord were George W. West, Charles Walker and Edward Campbell. The
present hotel building was erected in 1883 by M. S. Coles, who carries on a general
store in the same building.

About 1865 John S. Fitch located in the village and began the practice of
medicine, remaining until 1870. The profession is now represented by Dr. J. M.
Gentry, who is the only physician in the township. He located in Stony Fork in
June, 1884, and has built up a large and lucrative practice.

The Stony Fork Creamery Association was incorporated May 4, 1886, the
directors being John W. Hastings, George Hildreth, James Vandegriff, W. S. Boat-
man and Julius Dort. This creamery has been in operation to the present time
and has done much to make Stony Fork a dairying center. It is run on the co-
operative plan. A feed mill and planing mill is operated by J. W. Bartle.

A number of secret societies have their meeting place in the village. Stony
Fork Lodge, No. 564, I. 0. 0. F., was organized in August, 1886, with thirty-two
members. The present membership is 113. This lodge owns a large and well-
furnished hall buildiiig adjoining the old hotel property. Marinda Lodge, D. of
E., organized in 1890, also meets in this hall, as does Stony Fork Castle, No. 33,
K. G. E., organized with over thirty charter members. The present membership
exceeds 100. Stony Fork Grange, No. 1,033, P. of H., was chartered July 1, 1891.
It owns a hall building, originally erected for a store, which was purchased in
the spring of 1894 for $1,000. This grange is strong and prosperous.

Stokesdale is the name of a village, situated on Marsh creek, a mile and a half
north of Wellsboro. The first settler here was Elijah Wedge, who located on the
village site in 1830, resided there a number of years, and then removed to Niles
Valley. The village owes its existence to the establishment of the present tannery,
in 1871, by Bailey, Lowell & Company. This firm consisted of John W. Bailey,
F. K. Wright, 0. B. Lowell and Edward G. SchiefPelin. Wright and Schieffelin
were the managers. In 1880 Wright and Bailey sold out to James H. Humphrey,
of New York, and the firm became SchiefEelin & Company. On October 17, 1883,
the Wellsboro Leather Company was incorporated with a capital of $300,000, the
stock being owned as follows: George H. Danforth, New York, $99,000; Edward G.
SchiefPelin, Wellsboro, $100,000, and M. F. Elliott, Wellsboro, $1,000. The com-
pany became the owner of the Stokesdale tannery property, including 175 acres of
land and eighteen dwelling houses. On May 1, 1893, the control of the property
was transferred to the Union Tanning Company, a member of the United States
Leather Company, which operates a number of other sole leather tanneries in the
county. This tannery, when operated to its full capacity, turns out 800 sides of
sole leather a day. Edward G. SchiefEelin, who has held the position of superin-
tendent since 1891, is the only one of the original owners now connected with the
enterprise. D. M. Lounsbury, the foreman, has been in the employ of the various
owners since 1875. He also acts as station agent. A store, formerly carried on
by the company, is now run by J. L. Landrus & Company. A postofSce was estab-
lished here March 6, 1877. Edward G. Schieffelin, the first postmaster, held the



DELMAE TOWNSHIP.



359



office until January 19, 1893, when the present incumbent, J. L. Landrus, was
appointed.

Stokesdale Junction, situated three miles north of Wellsboro, at the "Big Marsh,"
is the junction of the Fall Brook and Pine Creek railways. The station was estab-
lished here in 1883, upon the completion of the Pine Creek railway. Trains to and
from "Wellsboro connect here with trains to and from Coming and Williamsport.

Tiadaghton is the name of a railroad station in the Pine Creek valley, on the Pine
Creek railway, near the southwestern corner of the township. A postof&ce was
established here in July, 1883, the first postmaster being Stephen Warriner. His
successors have been B. H. Warriner, F. B. Osborn, H. J. Austin, and the present
incumbent, Howard P. Beckwith, who was appointed in March, 1896. There are
two stores in the village; the general store kept by F. B. Field & Son, and a grocery '
store carried on by Howard P. Beckwith, who also keeps the village hotel. A large
steam saw-mill is operated by F. B. Field & Son. The Tiadaghton and Fahnastalk
railroad is a line seven miles long which winds its way up the mountain, penetrating
the forests in Elk township. The motive power is Shaw-gear engines, built especially
for heavy grades.

Kennedy is a postoffice situated in the southwestern part -of the township, near
the head of Campbell run. The office was established here in 1881. 0. J. Navil,
the first postmaster, held the office until August, 1894, when Delia Gross was
appointed. She removed to Ansonia and was succeeded by Nellie Kennedy, the
present incumbent. This is the meeting place of Kennedy Grange, No. 903, P. of H.,
which owns a hall building here and has a large membership.

Olmsville postoffice was established in 1883, at the home of S. A. Kilburn, about
four and a half miles southwest of Stony Fork. He held the office until June, 1896,
when J. D. Wilcox was appointed.

Enapp postoffice is situated in Broughton Hollow, on Wilson creek, in the south-
eastern part of the township. Daniel Knapp, the first postmaster here, held the office
until his death, when the present incumbent, Miner Benjamin, was appointed.

Delmar is the name of a postoffice five miles southwest of Wellsboro. The office
was established ten years ago. S. A. Hampton held the office of postmaster until
1890, when he was succeeded by D. D. Stubbs, the present incumbent.

Draper is the name of a postoffice on Stony Fork creek about a mile and a half
southwest of Stony Fork. The postoffice was established here in November, 1888.
The first postmaster, E. B. Carvey, held the office until 1889, when J. N. Warriner
was appointed. In February, 1895, he resigned and was succeeded by the present
incumbent, Albert Osbom. A store was opened here in the fifties by William McNitt,
and was afterwards kept by Simon Wilcox, who also operated a steam grist mill until
it was destroyed by fire. The .present store was opened in 1893 by J. N. Warriner.

Balsam is the name of a postoffice situated about three miles southwest of Wells-
boro, on the Stony Fork road. The office was established in May, 1895. Lizzie
Hakes, the first postmaster, held the office until June 26, 1896, when G. B. Close, the
present incumbent, who also carries on a general store, was appointed. A cheese
factory, which was estabUshed here about twenty years ago by A. P. Cone, is now
operated by Field & Avery. Middle Eidge Grange, No. 385, P. of H., one of the



360 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

oldest granges in the county, owns a two-story hall huilding here in which meetings
are held regularly. This grange is one of the strongest in the county. It was incor-
porated April 18, 1881.



CHAPTEE XXIY.

CHARLESTOK TOWNSHIP.

Organization— Reductions of Area— Boundaries— Deainage— Physical Char-
ACTERisTics— Population— The Pioneers— Mills and Other Enterprises-
Schools— Justices OF the Peace— Churches— Cemeteries— Societies— Vil-
lages AND POSTOFFICES.



CHAELESTON township was organized in December, 1830, and was taken from
Delmar. It originally embraced the greater portion of the area of Duncan town-
ship, which was organized in December, 1873, and was taken from it, Delmar and Morris
townships. In February, 1883, all that portion of its area lying east of Duncan was
added to Bloss township. It is now about iiye and one-third miles from east to west,
by ten and one-third miles from north to south, and contains about fifty-five square
miles. Its boundaries are Middlebury on the north; Eichmond, Covington and
Bloss, on the east; Bloss and Duncan, on the south, and Delmar and Wellsboro on
the west.

The drainage of the township is toward all points of the compass, the streams
having their sources in marshy upland areas — ^with one or two exceptions — ^near the
center of the township. Charleston creek, one of the principal streams,
rises in Duncan township, pursues a winding course, first toward the north-
east and then toward the northwest, through the southwestern part of the
township, and enters "Wellsboro's limits north of the State road. Its valley
is traversed by the Wellsboro and Antrim railroad, constructed in 1872,
Catlin Hollow run rises northeast of Cherry Flats and pursues a northwest
course to the northwest corner of the township, when it passes into Middlebury
township. It is fed by a number of small branches. Hill's creek rises near Whitney-
ville and flows north into Middlebury township. Elk run rises near the southeast
corner of the township, pursues a northerly course to Cherry Flats, when it turns
east into Covington township. Babb's creek rises in the Welsh settlement, southwest
of Cherry Flats, and flows southeast into Duncan township. From the different
courses of these streams it will be seen that the township forms a watershed between
the Tioga river on the east, Babb's creek on the south. Marsh creek on the west, and
Crooked creek on the north. The general surface is, therefore, considerably elevated,
tlie average of the uplands being 1,600 to 1,800 feet above the sea level. Though



OHAELESTON TOWNSHIP. ^Ql



mostly upland, the township, except in the southern part, is not rough. Much
of its upland area is comparatively level, and the slopes into the valleys gentle enough
to permit hill-top, hill-side and valley to be cultivated. Many of the finest farms
in the county are in this township, which has enjoyed a constant and progressive
growth. In 1840 it had 1,010 inhabitants; in 1870, 2,014; in 1880, 2,193, and in
1890, 1,889. The falling ofE in the latter year was due to the loss of territory added
to Bloss township in 1883.

THE PIONEERS.

Isaiah Washbume, a native of Connecticut, came into the county before 1805
and cleared the land that now forms a part of the site of Cherry Plats. This land lies
on both sides of the line between Charleston and Covington townships. A few years
later he sold his clearing to Levi Elliott, who with his brother, Nathaniel, became
early settlers on the village site. Timothy Culver, who, it is said, came as early as
1805, settled near Cherry Flats, and gave it its name, from a small flat, formiag its
site, which was then covered by a thick growth of cherry trees. Aaron Gillett
was another early settler on the village site, removing from the mouth of Mill creek,
Tioga township, where he had located in 1798. He remained at Cherry Flats until
1811, when he removed to Eichmond township and settled permanently at Canoe
Camp.

Caleb Austin, who came about 1806, located on what is now the county poor
farm, near where the State road crosses the western line of the township, and enters
Wellsboro. This road was opened from Towanda, Bradford county, via Covington
and Cherry Flats, to "Wellsboro, ia 1808. Its completion greatly forwarded the
early settlement of the township.

Peter Shumway came from Massachusetts in 1805, remained a year near Mans-
field, and then settled on Shumway Hill, where his grandson, W. P. Shumway, still
resides. He was a Eevolutionary soldier, and his great-grandson, Peter E. Shumway,
of "Wellsboro, has in his possession a discharge signed by George "Washington, show-
ing that his ancestor was a "soldier in the Fourth Massachusetts regiment," and that
he "faithfully served the United States six years and three months." It also recites
that "the above Peter Shumway has been honored by the Badge of Merit for six years'
faithful service." This is surely a priceless heirloom.

Israel Greenleaf, a Eevolutionary soldier, came at the same time as Peter Shum-
way and located north of him. He afterwards removed to Wellsboro and became
an early hotel keeper there.

Eoswell Bailey, a native of Vermont, came into the county about 1803 and
located in Tioga township. About 1810 he removed to what is now known as the
Dartt settlement, in Charleston township, and there became a pioneer settler. Here
he engaged in farming and lumbering until his death. The tombstone over his grave
in the Dartt settlement cemetery bears the following inscription:

Rozel Bailey,

Killed by the upsetting'

Of his waggon,

Oct. 34, 1840.



362 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTT.

At the time of his death he was engaged in hauling heavy castings for his saw-
mill. The team ran away, while going down hill, upsetting the wagon and crushing
him under its load. His sister, Betsey, came into the county with him, and in 1813
became the wife of Jonathan Lawrence. On February 11, 1891, being then a
resident of Mansfield, she celebrated the one hundredth anniversary of her birth,
and lived nearly a year longer.

Nathan Niles, Jr., a son of Nathan Niles, a pioneer of Tioga township, located
on the State road, near the Delmar line, before 1810. In 1811 Col. Justus Dartt,
a Eevolutionary soldier, and a colonel in the Vermont militia after the Revolution,
came into the township and founded what is still known as the Dartt settlement.
Thomas Prentiss, who settled near Shumway Hill, and Elijah Starkweather, who
settled at the foot of that hill, were all in the to\^Tiship before 1813, in which year
Sylvester Bailey and David Greenleaf, "single freemen," were residents of the
township'.

The assessment list of 1816 for Delmar township, which then embraced Charles-
ton, contains the names of the following taxables, residing within the limits of the
latter township: Caleb Austin, Eoswell Bailey, Justus Dartt, Sr., Justus Dartt, Jr.,
David Henry, who settled on the State road; James Henry, James J. Porter, who
located in the Dartt settlement; Andrew Wetmore, who settled on Wefmore Hill,
near the Delmar line, and Oliver Willard, who located on the State road. For the
year 1818 the names of Calvin Brown, Daniel Parker, Leonard and John Porter,
Moses Wheeler, Asahel "Wetmore and Sleeraan Shumway appear. Jesse, WiUiam
and Nelson Catlin, who came about 1818, settled northwest of the Dartt settlement



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 47 of 163)