Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 48 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 48 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


on Catlin Hollow rim..

In 1819 Joel Culver was living near Cherry Flats; Gideon Dewey and John
Daily in the Dartt settlement; Daniel Dennison in Catlin Hollow; Orlando Willard,
Isaac Wheeler and Calvin, Eli and Benjamin Gitchell, on the State road. The names
of Frederick Hiltbold, Thomas Sampson, who settled at Cherry Flats, and Vine
Seagers, who settled near Shumway Hill, appear on the list of 1820.

The foregoing embraces the names of the principal settlers of the township up
to its organization. Many of their descendants occupy the old homesteads, and take
high rank among the thrifty, prosperous and intelligent farmers of the county.

The oldest living citizens of the township are Holman Morgan, bom November
17, 1801, and Edward Mclnroy, bom December 25, 1801. Mr. Mclnroy has resided
in Catlin Hollow since 1837, and Mr. Morgan has been a resident of the county since
1844. He now resides in East Charieston. Miss Hannah A. Wilson, who died at
her home in the township, September 12, 1896, was bom near the Young school
house in 1814, and was a daughter of Daniel Wilson, who settled there about 1812.

MILLS AND OTHER ENTEEPHISES.

The pioneer saw-mill of the township appears to have been the one erected by
Justus Dartt, between 1816 and 1818, in the Dartt settlement. This mill was built
on Catlin Hollow run, and was operated by Mr. Dartt until 1829 or 1830. About
1819 Timothy Culver and Oliver Willard established a carding machine near Cherry
Flats, and ran it two or three years. In 1830 or 1831 Elmer Bacon, father of Dr.



CHAHLESTON TOWNSHIP. 353



M. L. Baeon, of Wellsboro, and Benjamin Gitchell erected a saw-mill on Charleston
creek, below Eonnd Top. In 1837 Mr. Bacon became sole owner and operated the
mill until 1846. About 1831 Eoswell Bailey erected a saw-mill on Catlin Hollow
run in the Dartt settlement. Mr. Bailey continued as a lumberman and mill operator
until his death, heretofore referred to, October 24, 1840.

In 1837 Dr. Jacob SchiefEelin purchased several thousand acres of land in the
northern part of the township, on Hill's creek. Here he settled in 1838, and in 1830 he
erected a saw-mill, which he ran about ten years. Prom this time forward mills were
established rapidly in various parts of the township, and changes of ownership were
frequent. Among those whose names appear on the earlier assessment lists of the
township as mill owners or operators were: Philemon Culver, 1831; Watrous Seely,
1834; Erastus Smith, 1835-36: Wilson W. Bailey, 1837; K. W. Bailey, 1838-43;
Asahel Culver, 1837-39; Joseph Bacchus, 1840-50; Eichard I. Moon, 1838-43;
Erastus Smith, 1840-47; David Smith, 1841-47; George Spratt, 1841-43; James
Borst, 1843-48; William Dennison, 1843; Levi Aaron and Levi H. Elliott, 1843-48;
David Morgan, 1843; Chester Partridge, 1843, and many others, among whom were
Cyrus Wright and Dexter Catlin, who erected a mill on Catlin Hollow run between
1845 and 1850. In the latter year it was owned and operated by Cyrus Catlin.
About 1849 or 1850 Philemon Culver erected a grist mill on Charleston creek, near
the present county farm. It was operated by him for a number of years and subse-
quently by Eobert Brundage, Bailey & Wright, Burtpn Shrader and S. L. Herrington.
It was destroyed by fire about 1886, and was not rebuilt.

These early saw-mills and their successors have all passed away, the forests which
fed them having been cleared off years ago, and the land on which they stood reduced
to cultivation. The transformation was wrought slowly but effectively, and repre-
sents, in the hundreds of attractive homes that dot the hills and vales of the township;
the highly cultivated farms that surround them; the schools and churches that have
been established, and the rural villages that have grown up with the passing years,
the patient industry and intelligent effort of four generations of an earnest, frugal
and hard-working yeomanry.

SCHOOLS.

The early schools of Charleston, like those of other townships of the county,
were maintained by subscription, and before the settlers were numerous enough in
any one neighborhood to erect a school house, were taught in private dwellings.
The earliest schools were established in the Dartt settlement and at Cherry Flats,
the school buildings being log structures, replaced later by frame buildings. Perhaps
no other township in the county has paid more attention to education or can boast
better public school buildings than Charleston. Its school districts are small, and
the pupils have shorter distances to travel than in other townships. Good teachers —
usually graduates of the State ISTormal school at Mansfield — are employed, and fair
salaries paid. There are at present twenty schools in the township, in which school
is maintained six months in the year.

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.

The following named persons have served as justices of the peace for Charleston
township; Benajah H. Ives, 1835; Jacob Babb, 1836; Chauncey Alford, 1837; David



364 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Ellis, 1830; Joseph Aiken, 1833; John E. Eay, 1833; John F. Donaldson, 1834;
Daniel Holiday, Jr., 1835; Simeon Honghton, 1836; Levi I. Nichols, 1836; Alanson
E. Niles, 1840; Carlisle Atherton, 1840; Joel Culver, 1844; Isaiah Wilson, 1845; John
Gibson, 1850; James Kelly, 1851; re-elected, 1856; Holmaai Morgan, 1856; re-elected,
1861, 1878, 1883 and 1888; Charles Close, 1861; re-elected, 1866; George W. Avery,
1866; Thomas D. Elliott, 1869; D. A. Evans, 1871; D. P. Benedict, 1873; Ira
Johnston, 1882; William E. Jones, 1887; re-elected, 1892 and 1897; and C. H.
Scouten, 1893.

CHUHCHES.

The Charleston Baptist Church was at first a branch of the Middlebury Baptist
society and was formed as such August 26, 1843. On November 3, 1843, a conference
to organize a separate church met and the church was formally organized April
30, 1844, with the following named members: Almira Catlin, Mary Wilkinson,
Hannah Tipple, Lewis Bacon, Clarissa Mudge, Henry Bailey, Betsey Bailey, Isaac
Wheeler, Amy Ann Wheeler, Matilda Daxtt, James E. Smith, Emily M. Smith,
Oliver Elliott, Clarissa Dartt, George Dartt, Calvin P. Butler, Catherine Madison,
Lucy Davis, Eachel Partridge, Martha Lewis, David Lewis, Jane Hart, Maria F.
Marvin and Eobert Burley. At the time this church was organized, Eev. J. T.
Coffin was pastor of the Middlebury church, and the new church fell under his care.
His successors have been: Eevs. Samuel Bullock, Elder Burman, C. Beebe, 1851;
Levi Stone, 1855-59; J. Ingerick, 1860-62; P. Eeynolds, 1863-65; C. A. Stone,
1867-68; M. Eockwell, 1873; N. L. Eeynolds, 1875; D. T. Van Doren, 1877-81;
V. P. Mather, 1882-84; H. M. Wolf, Jr., 1886-88; W. H. Porter, 1890-94;
B. M. Posten, 1895-96, and Will E. Braisted, who took charge June 1, 1895.
The early meetings were held in the school house. About 1854 the Baptists
and Methodists joined in the building of a union church, in the Dartt settlement
and also in Catlin Hollow. Within the past twenty years the Dartt settlement
church has become the property of the Baptists and the Catlin Hollow church of the
Methodists. The Charleston Baptist Church has now about 140 members. A
Sunday-school with a total membership of eighty is maintained, of which Oris Smith
is superintendent.

The Old School Baptist Church, the pioneer church of Cherry Flats, was organ-
ized sometime during the forties by Elder Eli Gitchell, who preached for the society
over twenty years. Among the original members were Levi, Oliver and Levi H.
Elliott, Norman Eockwell and members of the Ely, Wheeler and other families.
When the present Baptist church building was erected this society owned a one-
fourth interest in it, and held services every fourth Sunday. After a few years their
membership began to be absorbed by the Eegular Baptist church and soon dwindled
away until the society passed out of existence.

The Regular Baptist Church of Cherry Flats was organized June 3, 1854, with
the following membership: Oliver Elliott, Isaac Wheeler, Amy Ann Wheeler, Clarissa
Mudge, Jane Hart, William West, Caroline A. West, C. Whittemore, Eachel Whitte-
more, Edwin Whittemore, Julia A. Whittemore, Julia A. Macumber, Eveline S. Cul-
ver, Ann Johnson, Levi Stone, Juliana Stone, Albert Stone, Emma A. Stone, Noah
Wheeler, Thomas D. Elliott, Josephine Gillett, Mariah Gillett, Eachel Davis, Nancy



CHAKLBSTON TOWNSHIP. 365



B. Mudge, Eliza Wheeler, Beluvia Fenton, May Whittemorej Alvira Bacon, Isaac E.
Eumsey, Jacob Johnson and Margaret Keese. The names of the pastors who have
served this church axe as follows: llevs. Levi Stone, 1855-57; M. Eockwell, 1858-59;
Philander Eeynolds, 1862-65; C. A. Stone, 1867-69; M. Eockwell, 1873; F. Purvis,
1874; D. T. Van Doren, 1877-81; V. P. Mather, 1883-84; H. M. Wolf, Jr., 1886-88;
W. H. Porter, 1890-93; James Jones, 1893-95; T. C. Davis, 1895-96. This church has
no pastor at present. A frame church building was erected in 1855, during the
pastorate of Eev. Levi Stone. It is still in use, having been kept in good repair. The
church now numbers seventy-three members. There are sixty-two pupils in the
Sunday-school, the superintendent of which is Mrs. Emma Bowen. P. P. Bliss,
afterwards famous as a singer and an evangelist, became a member of this church
September 8, 1855.

The Regular Baptist Church of East Charleston was organized in 1862. It was
admitted to the Tioga Baptist Association in 1867 and incorporated June 1, 1867.
The following names were signed to the petition: Eev. C. A. Stone, pastor; Chester
Partridge and D. P. Benedict, deacons; Thomas D. Elliott, L. H. Bobbins, Jeremiah
Dockstader, John J. Niel and Charles D. Ferry. Mr. Stone continued as pastor until
1870, when for three years there was no pastor. Mr. Eockwell was pastor in 1873,
after which time the church seems to have died out.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Catlin Hollow was organized about
1850. Among the early members were Cyrus Catlin and wife, Joel Catlin and wife,
Edward Mclnroy and Dexter Catlin and wife. On September 15, 18 54, the "Methodist
and Baptist Union House, Catlin Hollow, Charleston township," was incorporated,
the incorporators being Henry Bailey, president; Dexter P. Catlin, secretary; Edward
Mclnjoy, treasurer, and Cyrus Catlin and Joel Catlin, wardens. The incorporators
erected a house of worship in Catlin Hollow, which was used by the Methodists and
Baptists up to about 1880, when the building and grounds became the property of the
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Catlin Hollow, which was incorporated May 14,
1881, the incorporators being George Borden, Wesley Saxbury and James Boyce.
The building was then thoroughly repaired and refurnished. This church was for
a number of years in the Wellsboro charge, and between 1855 and 1860 in the
Charleston charge, and has since been served by the pastors of the church in East
Charleston. It has a large membership and maintains a well attended Sunday-
school.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Charleston was the outgrowth of a
class, the early members of which belonged to the church in Catlin Hollow. The
society was incorporated February 13, 1857, the incorporators being Chauncey
Dartt, Joseph Wilcox, Marcus Benedict, Harvey Adams and Alonzo Whitney. This
church was constituted a separate charge before 1860, since which year it has been
served by the following pastors: Eevs. E. L. Stillwell, 1861; C. L. F. Howe, 1863;
J. Shaw, 1863; C. Weeks, 1864-66; W. Statham, 1867; G. S. Transue, 1871-73; H. C.
Moyer, 1874; G. W. Howland, 1875-76; J. V. Lowell, 1877 ; M. S. Kymer, 1878-79;
Charles K Patterson, 1881-83; G. W. Howland, 1883-84; A. G. Cole, 1885-86; H. J.
Owen, 1887-1888; A. W. Decker, 1889-91; P. A. Peterson, 1892-95, and Eev. W. L.
Clough, the present pastor, who came in 1896. Meetings were held in the school
house and in the Union church in the Dartt settlement until 1877, when the present



366 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



house of worship was erected. The pastors of this chiirch also serve the churches
in Catlin Hollow and Cherry Flats.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Round Top was organized in 1863. Up to
1886 it was in the Wellsboro charge and was served by the pastors of the Wellsboro
church. In 1886 it was made a separate charge and the pulpit supplied by appoint-
ment of the presiding elder until 1892, when Eev. L. A. Davis became pastor. He
served until October, 1895, when Eev. Cornelius Dillenbeck, the present pastor, took
charge. The early meetings were held in the school house on Shumway Hill and
later in Coolidge Hollow. In 1891 a neat frame church building was erected, costing
$3,000. The church now numbers ninety-five members. A Sunday-school of 118
pupils is maintained. In the summer of 1896 a parsonage, costing $700, was
purchased.

Mt. Zion Wesley an Methodist Church was organized about 1846, the early meet-
ings being held in school houses. In 1861 a church building costing $1,000 was
erected at Eound Top. Among the ministers who have served this church have been
Eevs. Mr. Chapman, Stephen A. Leonard, Francis Strang, Elijah Peak, Seth. Clark,.
John Haverly, "Warren Whitmore, Holman Morgan and Samuel Mills. The present
pastor is Eev. Caradoc Jones, who is also the pastor at the county poor house. This
church maintains a good Sunday-school.

The Welsh Congregation and Society of Charleston was organized in 1840. An
application for a charter was filed in the court of quarter sessions, Wellsboro, Feb-
ruary 20, 1849, but the charter was not granted until November 15, 1856. The
original petitioners were David W. Eees, David Edwards, William Bowen, David
Morris and John Morris. A small chapel was erected about 1850 and used as a place
of worship until 1867, when a church building, costing $1,500, was erected on the
farm of David Bowen. Among the ministers who served this church as pastors were
the following: Eevs. John Davis, Eichard Jones, Evan Davis, Philip Peregrine. J. F.
Calkins, Henry Harris, F. Tilo Evans, James Evans, Abram Jones and Caradock:
Jones, who took charge in November, 1895. The present membership of the church
is fifty, with about the same number in the Sunday-school, which is in charge of
Fred Evans, superintendent.

The First Christian Church of Charleston was incorporated in 1872, the fol-
lowing named persons being the charter trustees: Joel Culver, Alonzo Kimball,
Ephriam Hart, Alanson Thompson and Jeremiah Klock. A church building-
was erected on the State road, a short distance east of the county farm. Services,
were maintained regularly for several years. Lately, however, the society has so
decreased in membership that no pastor has been employed, and no services held..
A Sunday-school is, however, still maintained.

CEMETEKIES.

The cemeteries of Charleston, owing to its large area, are numerous. Most of
them were originally family graveyards which later became places of public burial.
Among the earliest of these may be mentioned the cemetery adjoining the Baptist
church at Cherry Flats, where members of the Elliott and other early families lie
buried; the old graveyard on the Caleb Austin place, now a part of the county farm;-
the old burial ground in the Dartt settlement, and the cemetery near the Methodist.



CHAELESTON TOWNSHIP. 357



Episcopal cliiirch. in Catlin Hollow. The incorporated cemeteries are the Shumway
Hill cemetery, the East Charleston cemetery and the new cemetery in the Dartt
settlement. The first was incorporated December 13, 1868; the second August 18,
1876, and the last April 11, 1881.

SOCIETIES.

The secret and benevolent societies of the township are confined to the Patrons
of Husbandry and the Knights of the Maccabees, the different lodges of which have
large memberships and are well attended. Charleston Valley Grange, No. 54, P. of
H., is one of the oldest granges in the county. It was organized December 20, 1873,
and now numbers 116 members. It meets at Eound Top, in a hall building erected
for its use in 1886-87 by a stock company. Aurora Grange, No. 874, P. of H., was
organized March 8, 1889. It meets in the Packard building at Cherry Flats, and has
nearly sixty members. Union Grange, No. 1107, P. of H., was organized March 6,
1891, with thirty-four members. In 1893 it erected a hall building in Catlin Hollow,
at a cost of $800. It is prosperous and its membership is rapidly increasing. East
Charleston Tent, No. 88, K. 0. T. M., was organized November 17, 1893. It now
has about fifty members and meets in the hall over Waldo Spear's store in East
Charleston, which is also the meeting place of East Charleston Hive, No. 88,
L. 0. T. M. Catlin Hollow Tent, K. 0. T. M., wa^ organized March 7, 1896, with
eighteen members. It meets in the Grange hall in Catlin Hollow.

TILLAGES AND POSTOFFICES.

Cherry Flats is situated on the State road, near the headwaters of Elk run, and
was named by Timothy Culver, from a small flat forming part of its site, once
covered with a thick growth of wild cherry. The line dividing Charleston from
Covington township runs through it from north to south, a few feet east of A. J.
Eichards' store. The early settlement of the place has already been given. A post-
office was established here about 1845. Norman Eockwell, the first postmaster, held
the office until 1856, when Col. N. A. Elliott was appointed. His successors have
been Abraham Johnson, Irving Harkness, G. S. Parsons, L. M. Eose, appointed in
September, 1889; Albert F. Packard, April, 1893, and John C. Secor, the present
incumbent, July 33, 1893. A daily mail is received by stage from Wellsboro. The
first merchant was Oliver Elliott, who opened a general store in 1850, and continued
in business until 1868, when he removed to Mansfield. The second store was opened
in 1850 by Col. N. A. Elliott. Simeon P. Utter, William Adams, Norman Eockwell,
J. W. Elliott and G. S. Parsons were among the earlier merchants. There are now
two general stores in the place, one of which is kept by A. F. Packard and the other
by A. J. Eichards. Col. N. A. Elliott opened a hotel in 1851. In 1858 he sold it to
Christopher Williams, who kept it until it burned down in 1861. It has had no
successor. There are three churches in the village. The Baptist church, which is
the oldest, is in Charleston township; the Methodist Episcopal and the Second
Adventist across the line in Covington. The Cherry Plats Cheese Factory was
established in May, 1893, by F. E. Zimmer, of East Charleston. Its patrons are
residents of the eastern part of Charleston and western part of Covington townships.
The average annual output is 70,000 pounds.



363' HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Whitneyville, or East Charleston postof6.ee, is situated in the northeastern part
of the township, within a mile of the Eichmond township line. One of the earhest
settlers here was Asa G. Churchill, whose name with that of John Churchill appears
on the assessment list of 1823. The name of Lemuel Churchill appears two years
later. Tyrus Eice, another early settler in this neighborhood appears on the assess-
ment list of 1838. The village, however, owes its existence to, and takes its name
from, Alonzo Whitney and Capt. Nelson Whitney, who settled on its site in 1848.
The father pursued farming until his death. May 1, 1881. The son, Capt. Nelson
Whitney, devoted himself to farming until 1858, when he opened a general store,
and soon did a business of about $20,000 a year. He also became interested in the
East Charleston Cheese Factory and other enterprises. Among those who have
succeeded him as merchants in the village have been Holman Morgan, John Kohler,
and others. Waldo Spear, the present merchant, has been in business since 1883. A
postoffice was established here about forty years ago, the first postmaster being
Alonzo Whitney. Among his successors have been Elias Tipple, Miss Carrie Stone
and Waldo Spear, the present incumbent, who came in 1883. A daily mail is received
by stage from Mansfield. A carding machine and steam saw-mill were established
over thirty years ago by Alonzo Whitney, and are now operated by Capt. Nelson
Whitney.

The East Charleston Cheese Factory was established in 1863 by a stock company.
It has been operated for several years past by F. E. Zimmer, who also operates
factories in Cherry Flats and Canoe Camp.

The Dartt Settlement is situated on Catlin Hollow run, north of the center
of the township. The pioneer settler here was Col. Justus Dartt, heretofore men-
tioned. He was the first postmaster of the ofiice which was established there nearly
three-quarters of a century ago. He continued to hold the oifice until his death.
His successors have been Cyrus Dartt, John W. Bailey, James -G. Dartt and C. B.
Bean, the present incumbent. Mr. James G. Dartt, who held the ofiice for many
years, received a check for three cents, being the balance due him by the government
upon final settlement. It is said to have been the smallest check ever cashed in the
county. The first school in the township was taught, and the first saw-mill erected
in the township was built here. The Union church, erected here about 1857 by the
Methodist and Baptists, was one of the first houses of worship in the township.
It is now owned by the Baptists. In the old cemetery lie the remains of Col. Justus
Dartt and Eoswell Bailey, as well as of other early settlers.

The Welsh Settlement is the name given to a section of the township southwest
of Cherry Flats, in which a number of Welshmen and their families settled between
1840 and 1850. The earlier ones to locate were Thomas Evans, Lewis Lewis, Miles
Harris, David G. Edwards, David Morris, Bees Morris, David Eeese, John Jones and
John E. Jones. Soon after coming they established a church in which worship
has been regularly maintained to the present time. The members of this settlement
enjoy a reputation for industry, thjiift and honesty, and are among the most pros-
perous and successful tillers of the soil in the township.

Round Top is the name of a village on Charleston creek in the southwestern
part of the township. It derives its name from the peculiar shape of the roof of
the first school house, which was known as the "Bound Top School House." A



MIDDLEBUKY TOWNSHIP. 369



postoffice was established here in 1873, the first postmaster being Samuel Morgan.
His successors have been George Eabb, Charles Close, Mrs. Jane Close and E. G.
Close, the present incumbent, who took charge November 39, 1889. In 1873 Samuel
Morgan opened the first store in the village. He sold it, in 1873, to Charles Close.
After Mr. Close's death, in 1883, his widow carried on the business. In 1888 her
son, E. G. Close, became proprietor. The Wellsboro and Antrim railroad, completed
in 1873, passes through the village, in which there are now two churches, a grange
hall, a public school building and a cheese factory, besides a number of private
residences. The Eound Top Cheese Factory was established in 1865 by a stock
company. It was operated by Charles Close from 1870 until his death in 1883,
and by his widow until 1888, since which time it has been run by E. G. Close. It
has an annual output of 60,000 pounds of cheese.

Hill's Greek is the name of a settlement on Hill's creek near the northern line
of the township. The pioneer here was Dr. Jacob SchiefEelin. In 1827 he pur-
chased a large body of land in this section of the township, on which he located in
1838. In 1830 he built a saw-mill and for a number of years thereafter was a lead-
ing lumberman. In 1863 Solomon Bennett and Ira ISTewhall erected a steam saw-
mill here, and soon afterward sold it to Luther Bennett and George P. Card. Among
the early settlers in this part of the township were Chauncey Perry, Charles Ferry,
Sr., Chester Partridge, Tilden Cruttenden, Virgil Sweet, Marcus Benedict, John
Sampson, Capt. William Hill, whose name the creek bears, Thomas Kelly, James
Eoach, James Abernathy and Elisha Keeney.



CHAPTER XXY.

MIDDLEBUKY TOWNSHIP.

Organization— Reduction of Area— Physical Features-Streams— Population
—Early Settlers— Early and Later Enterprises— Schools and Justices
—Churches— Cemeteries— Societies— Villages.



MIDDLEBUEY township was created in September, 1833, and was taken from
Delmar and Elkland townships. In May, 1831, a strip two miles wide from
east to west was taken from it on the west and added to Chatham township. It is
situated north of the center of the county, is bounded on the north by Faxmington
township; on the east by Tioga and Eichmond townships; on the south by Charles-
ton and Delntar townships, and on the west by Chatham township, and contains
about forty-eight square miles. The township is rugged and mountainous. The



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 48 of 163)