Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 59 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 59 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Westfield, Clymer and Gaines townships into Potter county. The agent at Westfield
is G. H. Tremain, who has held that position since the opening of the station, which
is located in the eastern part of the borough. These two lines of railroad make
Westfield an important business and shipping center, and since their completion the
borough has more than doubled the number of its inhabitants. There has also been
a corresponding increase in the amount of business transacted. In the business
district the old frame buildings have given place to handsome brick blocks, and the
town wears a wide-awake, enterprising and progressive appearance.

CHUECHES AND CEMETEHIES.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Westfield, incorporated September 11, 1855,
was organized about 1830, under the ministration of Eevs. Marshall, St. John, David
Fellows and Samuel Conant. Meetings were first held in the old school house west
of the Main street bridge, near the mill race. Among the early pastors were Eev.
Theobald McElhaney and Eev. Samuel Mchols, the latter being appointed to this
charge in 1842. ISTo list of the names of the pastors serving between this year and
1854 has been obtainable. In 1854, however, Eev. William Armstrong took charge.
He was followed in 1857 by Eev. Thompson Jolly and Eev. A. Davison. Their



446 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

successors have been Eevs. J. J. Turtin, appointed in 1858; James Duncan, 1859;

A. Sweet, 1860; William M. Haskell, 1861; Walter Stathen, 1862; Veranus
Brownell, 1863; C. L. P. Howe, 1865; Myron H. DePuy, 1866; C. Eowley, 1867;
0. B. Weaver, 1868; W. W. Hunt, 1871; Isaac Everitt, 1873; G. S. Transue, 1875;
0. N. Eoberts, 1878; H. Peck, 1879; J. Knapp, 1880; G. W. Howland, 1881; H. B.
Mason, 1883; J. W. Barnett, 1886; D. A. Parcells, 1887; W. I. Janes, 1892, and W.
0. Peet, the present pastor, in October, 1895. A church building was erected in
1854, during the pastorate of Mr. Armstrong. It was replaced in 1887 by the present
edifice, which cost $7,500. The pastor's residence was erected in 1869, during the
pastorate of Eev. 0. B. Weaver. It cost $2,500.

The First Wesleyan Methodist Episcopal Church of Westfield, incorporated Janu-
ary 14, 1875, was organized June 14, 1846, by Eev. S. Hall and G. A. Lambert, who
were the early pastors. Their successors have been Eevs. L. Salisbury and G. P.
Burdick, 1854; Amos Chapman, 1855; Francis Strang, 1869; P. S. Slanson; S. W.
Jennings, 1877; J. S. Pausey, 1882; S. W. Jennings, 1883; J. S. Fausey, 1886;
W. A. Scribner, 1895, and John Drake, who took charge in May, 1896. In 1870,
through the exertions of Eev. Prancis Strang and Eev. Stephen A. Leonard, a house
of worship, costing $1,000, was erected. The church now numbers 130 members,
with fifty pupils in the Sunday-school.

St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church is the outgrowth of meetings held during
1882, by Eev. Percy Clinton Webber, at that time rector of St. Andrew's church at
Tioga. The first meetings were held in the Methodist Episcopal church and after-
wards in a room over C. E. Krusen's store, rented for the purpose. Mr. Webber
made occasional visits. Eev. William Painter was the first resident minister, serving
also the churches at Gaines and Elkland. Eev. William Du Hammel and Eev. L.

B. Thomas, also paid the mission visits. August 1, 1895, Eev. W. N. E. Ashmead,
the present rector, took charge. Among the early members of this church were
Prank Yeager, Guy Clark, Joseph Eberle, Mrs. Mary H. Eberle, Mrs. Charles Bliss,
Cora A. Bliss, W. H. Vermilyea, M. P. Sherman and wife, Mr. and Mrs. D. B. Claus-
son. Miss Ann Ackley, Mrs. Edward Bulkley, Mr. and Mrs. William Clark, Mrs. A.
Christie, Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Dengle, Mrs. C. E. Krusen, Mrs. S. I. Krusen, Mr. and
Mrs. J. W. Smith and Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Everitt. Through the generosity of Mrs.
John H. Sherwood, of New York City, a sister of D. B. Clausson, who contributed
$5,000, the society was able in 1893 to begin the erection of a house of worship,
which was completed and opened for service November 8, 1895. This edifice, which
cost $7,500, is one of the handsomest church buildings in northern Pennsylvania.
It is built of bluish-gray stone, quarried on the hill north of the borough. The
blocks are small, laid irregularly, and the masonry is what is known as "rock-finish"
work. The interior is semi-Gothic and finished in natural wood. Handsome
stained glass memorial windows were contributed as follows: John H. Sherwood,
by the society; Kate A. Wakeley and Maud E. Wakeley, by the family; Lafayette
Hill, by his widow; Prank Eberle, Prank Eberle, Jr., and Pannie C. Eberle, by the
family; W. H. Vermilyea, by Mrs. W. H. Vermilyea, and Margarette A. Wells, by
the family. The building was erected under the supervision of W. P. Everitt, Albert
P. Yahn, J. W. Smith, G. H. Tremain and C. E. Krusen, building committee. The



WESTFIELD BOEOUGH. 447



church, which numbers about forty members, has not yet been chartered. There are
twenty pupils in the Sunday-school, which is in charge of the rector.

The Universalist Church of Westfield was organized June 36, 1887. As early,
however, as 1851 ministers of this denomination visited Westfield. The first of
these was Eev. Wallace BuUard, who was followed by Eev. Mr. Darrow, Eev. Earl
Wesley, Eev. Mr. Fuller, Eev. Mr. Whitcomb, Eev. J. S. Palmer, Eev. W. H. Mc-
Laughlin and Eev. Emma E. Bailey. In June, 1887, through the efforts of Ambrose
Close, William Converse, Stephen Martin, Jr., and Eev. H. W. Hand, an organization
was effected. On September 39, of the same year, the comer-stone of a neat and
attractive house of worship was laid by Eev. George Adams, of Athens, Pennsyl-
vania. The building, which cost $3,500, was designed by G. B. Davis, and the con-
struction superintended by Ambrose Close and William Converse. It was dedicated
December 14, 1888. Among the early members of this church were William Con-
verse, Ambrose Close, S. Martin, G. B. Davis, A. C. Kimball, G. A. King, Mrs. G.
A. King, Cora Close, Mrs. A. Sayles, G. H. Tremain and J. G. Osbom. The first
officers and trustees were Ambrose Close, president; Mrs. E. E. Parshall, secretary,
and William Converse, Sundaj'-school superintendent. The pastors have been
Eevs. C. C. Eichardson, F. Temple Lathe, T. M. Alvord, G. W. Barnes and Marcia
D. Selman. The church now numbers fifty members. There are twenty-five pupils
in the Sunday-school, of which H. J. Stocking is the superintendent.

The First Baptist Church of Westfield was organized August 5, 1891, and incor-
porated October 17, 1895. Th'e names of the original members are as follows: Mr.
and Mrs. C. M. Allen, Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Van Dusen, Mrs. S. M. Cottrell, Lena
Cottrell, Mrs. Amasa Ellis, Mrs. Harrison, Eev. A. W. and A. E. Mettler, Mrs. J.
Eichardson. The names of the pastors are as follows: Eevs. A. W. Mettler, 1891-93;
C. A. Wilson, 1894, and S. A. Field, the present pastor, who took charge in 1895.
The society holds its meetings in Tucker's hall, the use of which was given free for
five years. About a quarter of a century ago the Baptists had an organization in
Westfield, but removals, deaths, etc., depleted its membership. The present church,
though a new one, is the second organized in the borough.

The Krusen Cemetery, situated in the northern part of the borough, was estab-
lished in 1867 by Eiehard Krusen. It occupies a circular, mound-like knoll, less than
100 feet in diameter, which rises about eight feet above the level of the surrounding
land. Some are inclined to believe it an old Indian mound, but no attempt to explore
it has ever been made. This cemetery contains the graves of many early settlers.
The limited area caused it to be quickly filled, and burials there ceased several
years ago.

Mount Pleasant Cemetery Company was organized April 19, 1893, the officers
and incorporators being 0. A. Tremain, president; Albert Baker, secretary; Clar-
ence Hancock, treasurer; James Tubbs, superintendent, and J. W. Hancock, James
Champlin and John G. Bowman. The company owns forty acres of land northeast
of the borough which is devoted to burial purposes.

SOCIETIES.

Westfield Lodge, No. 477, F. & A. M., was organized December 28, 1870, by E..
W., E. C. Simpson, D. D., G. M., with the following officers and members: T. C.



448 HISTOBY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Sanders, W. M.; N. J. Knisen, S. W.; E. B. Bulkley, J. W.; A. D. Ashcraft, S. D.;
Nelson Doty, J. D.; E. H. Stebbins, S.; Isaac Plank, T.; John Davis, S. M. C; K.
B. Hill, J. M. C; E. P. Pish, P.; 0. B. Weaver, C; A. K. Sayles, T., and Sylvester
D. Phillips, Dr. James Hasten, Philetus E. Corbin, Charles Bliss and Levi Skinner.
The lodge now numbers over eighty members.

Westfield Chapter, No. 265, R. A. M., was organized December 19, 1883, with the
following of&cers and members: W. H. Vermilyea, H. P.; Gilbert H. Tremain, K.;
Elijah H. Thompson, S.; Lovel Plank, T.; James Masten, M. D., S.; John Champ-
lin, T., and W. H. Fuller, James F. Lewis, Mies W. McNaughton, George W. Fisk,
Justus E. Green and Adelbert E. Vermilyea. The ofRce of High Priest has been
filled as follows: William H. Vermilyea, Gilbert H. Tremain, Elijah H. Thompson,
Kiles W. McNaughton, Edson G. Davidge, Charles E. Krusen, George S. Trim, Wil-
liam B. Eiddell, Wentworth D. Vedder, M. D., and Lovel Plank. There are now
thirty-two members in this chapter.

Jemison Lodge, No. S32, 1. 0. 0. F., was organized November 30, 1883, the
charter being a re-issue of a charter granted October 16, 1848, to Cowanesque Lodge,
No. 333, of Knoxville. The original lodge flourished until 1867, when it was re-
moved to Mansiield. In 1873 another lodge known as Deerfleld Lodge, No. 800, was
organized in Knoxville. This maintained an organization until 1883, when it passed
out of existence and the records were transferred to Jemison Lodge, Westfield. The
first ofiicers and charter members of this lodge were as follows: L. H. King, N. G.;
A. P. King, V. G.; C. H. Martin, S.; A. B. Beers, A. S.; P. V. Eolason, T., and G. A.
King, J. S. Barto and S. L. Bouvier. The lodge now numbers sixty-four members,
several of whom are residents of Knoxville borough and Deerfield township. West-
field Encampment, No. 373, the members of which also belong to this lodge, was
organized August 33, 1887, and has now sixty-four members.

R. P. Babcock Post, No. 25S, G. A. R., was organized July 11, 1883. The first
ofBcers were A. A. Amsbry, C; C. C. Ackley, S. V. C; Seth Tremain, J. V. C; S.
P. Chase, C; A. K. Sayles, Q.; A. D. Ashcraft, S.; W. M. Kiser, 0. D.; M. D. Whip-
ple, 0. G.; M. D Foster, A.; D. Whitmarsh, S. M., and S. K. Eumsey, Q. S. This
post numbers among its members many of the soldiers of the late Civil War, resident
in Brookfield, Westfield and Clymer townships as well as in Westfield borough. It
is strong and prosperous.

R. P. Babcock W. R. C, No. 128, was organized February 6, 1889, with the
following officers and members: Lucy Kimball, P. ; Lizzie Sturdevant, S. V; Nettie
Kizer, J. V.; Nora Johnson, S.; Addie Manning, T., and Anveretta Close, Kate
Horton, Mariah Van Dusen, Sarah Jones, Emma Scott, Amelia Moore and Kate
McNeil. This corps at present numbers forty members.

There are also a number of other secret and beneficiary organizations in the
borough, some of which have a large membership. The Knights of Honor are repre-
sented by Westfield Lodge, No. 1306, which was organized September 16, 1878, and
chartered in January, 1885. Westfield Council, No. 3, Chosen Friends, was organ-
ized in 1881, with thirty members, but has not met for several years, though a few
members pay dues regularly. Westfield Local Branch, No. 1077, Order of the Iron
Hall, had a good membership before the suspension of the order. It has held no
meeting for two years. A lodge of the Sons of Temperance was organized as early






C^:^^^^^^;e-^^<:^



BEOOKFIBLD TOWNSHIP. 449



as 1854, since which time there have been several lodges, both of the Sons of Tem-
perance and of the Good Templars. Westfield Lodge, No. 67, S. P. I., was organized
December 18, 1890. It now numbers fifteen members. Enlalia Grange, No. 1088,
P. of H., was organized August 18, 1893. It is in a flourishing condition and has
eighty members. Westfield Tent, Ko. 155, K. 0. T. M., was organized March 10,
1893, with forty members, since increased to sixty-five. Westfield Hive, No. 46,
L. 0. T. M., was organized March 13, 1894, and chartered July 31, 1894. It now
numbers thirty-four members. Fleetwood Tribe, Improved Order of Eed Men, was
organized December 2, 1896.



CHAPTEE XXXIY.

BEOOKPIELD TOWNSHIP.

Organization— Location and ^.rea— Physical Features— Streams— Forest
Growth— Population— Justices of the Peace— Early Settlers— Mills
AND Factories- Schools— Churches and Cemeteries- Villages.



BEOOKPIELD township, so named from the number of brooks 'that traverse
its surface, was organized in February, 1837, and was taken from Westfield
township. It is the northwestern township of the county, the New York state line
forming its northern and the Potter county line its western boundary. It is seven
miles from east to west, with an average width from north to south of four miles,
and contains twenty-eight square miles. Deerfield township lies east and Westfield
township south of it. Its northern, eastern and western boundary lines are straight,
and its southern boundary line irregular, due, so it is alleged, to the surveyor getting
his figures mixed. This irregular line, however, follows the general direction, from
southwest to northeast, of the Cowanesque river, which flows through the northern
part of Westfield township. The southern half of its surface is mountainous, the
tillable land being confined to narrow and deep valleys, traversed by brooks which
are fed by numerous springs. The mean elevation above the sea is 1,550 feet, the
range being from 1,300 feet, in the lower creek valleys, to 1,800 feet on the mountain
tops. The northern half of the township, though somewhat rugged and hilly, may
be better described as rolling. It embraces the upland area, and is nearly all-
summits, hillsides and valleys— tillable and under cultivation.

The North Fork creek enters the township from Potter county, midway of the
western boundary line, receives Brown run, which flows down from the village of
Brookfield— also known as Mink Hollow and Brookfield Hollow— and enters West-

29



450 HISTOKY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

field township near the fair grounds. California brook rises about a mile and a half
southeast of Brookfield, and flows southeast into Westfield township north of West-
field borough. Purple brook rises north and east of the centre of the township, and
flows into Westfield township north of Cowanesque. North brook rises near the
New York state line, in the northwestern part of the township, flows in an easterly
direction for three miles and a half and unites with Troup's creek. This latter
stream is referred to in early deeds as "Troup's Town Branch." It was named for
Eobert Troup, attorney for David Cathcart (Lord Alloway), and Masterson lire,
owners of an extended landed estate in Steuben county. New York, where it has its
source. Its general direction is southeast and it flows through the northeastern part
of Brookfield township into Deerfield township and unites with the Cowanesque river
at Knoxville. At Austinburg it receives the waters of South brook, a small run
flowing from the southwest. Inscho run rises in the eastern part of the township
and flows southeast into Deerfield township.

When the township was first settled the greater portion of its area was covered
with a heavy growth of pine and hemlock. So long as the timber supply lasted,
lumbering was an important industry, but now that it is practically exhausted, the
people of the township rely for revenue and support upon the products of their
farms. Brookfield is, therefore, one of the distinctively agricultural townships of
the county. Its farms are well cultivated and its people prosperous.

There being no large towns or villages within the township its population shows
but little change from decade to decade. The eefisus of 1840 gave it 438 inhabitants;
1870, 885; 1880, 910, and 1890, 1,031.

The office of Justice of the peace has been filled by the following named persons:
Isaac Metealf, 1828; Allen Frazer, 1830; Colton Knox, 1832; Archibald Campbell,
1833; Edward C. Young, 1834; John Walker, Jr., 1835; Eddy Rowland, 1838;
Byram Hunt, 1838; re-elected in 1840; William Simmons, 1840; re-elected in 1845,
1850; Horace Seely, 1845; S. H. Murdock, 1850; re-elected, 1860; George W. Bacon,
1855; L. D. Seely, 1855; John Simmons, 1860; re-elected, 1865, 1870, 1875; John
G. Holmes, 1865; re-elected, 1870, 1875; C. H. Murdock, 1880; Malcolm L. Holmes,
1881; re-elected, 1882, 1887; S. P. Chase, 1886; re-elected, 1891, 1896; Frank
Clark, 1893, and E. E. Holmes, 1897.

EAELY SETTLERS.

The permanent settlement of the township began in 1809. At this time there
were two small camps of Indians of six or eight persons each within the township-
one near Mink Hollow, now the village of Brooldield, and the other on what wab
afterwards known as the J. S. Grantier place. These Indians were friendly to the
settlers and took frequent occasion to show their good will. One of them, known
as Indian Jim, often hunted with the whites and frequently supplied them with
lead for bullets. It is said he procured this metal in Potter county, but would never
disclose the location.

About the year named — that is, 1809 — Bedford George, Titus Ives, Elihu Hill
and Curtis Cady came into the township with their families. Bedford George settled
on Troup's creek, in the northeastern part of the township, a short distance east of
the E. P. Schoonover store in Austinburg. Titus Ives, who first came into the



BROOKFIELD TOWNSHIP. 451



county in 1794 or 1795, and lived for a time in Tioga township, settled nearly a mile
further up the creek, on the place still owned by his descendants. The first frame
house in the township was built by him about 1839. Elihu Hill settled in the
northwestern part of the township — known in the early days as Hilltown — on the
Bacon place. Curtis Cady settled west of Hill on what was afterwards known aa
the Stryker place. Twin daughters — .the first white children bom in the township —
were added to his family here. John Joseph, the next settler, came from Blkland
and located on the John Dougherty faxm. In 1813 Samuel Baker and his sons, Ira
and Amos, settled on the old Baker homestead, south of Brookfield. John H. Brown,
a Eevolutionary soldier, came about the same time, and settled on the Brookfield
village site. Luman Seely, a native of Cornwall, Connecticut, settled, in 1814, on
the place afterwards occupied by his son, Luman D. Seely, now a resident of Knox-
ville. He built a log house with no chimney, the smoke finding an outlet through
a small hole in the roof, which was also utilized for smoking hams. In 1814, also,
Daniel Sehoonover settled on Troup's creek, on lands now owned by Jonas Kilbum.
Joseph Swimeley appears to have resided in the township about this time, his son
Christopher being bom here in 1814. He soon afterwards removed to Westfield
township. Stephen Lane, a son of Joseph and Susannah (Ives) Lane, was born in
Danville, New York, in 1813. His father died in 1814, and his mother, who was
a daughter of Titus Ives, a pioneer settler on Troup's creek, returned to Brookfield
township, where Stephen grew to manhood and settled on the farm now owned by
his son, "William G. Lane.

Asahel Nobles and his stepson, William Simmons, settled on the old Nobles
homestead in 1815. Young Simmons, who was bom in April, 1804, was married
in 1819, when fifteen years of age, to Mary A., a daughter of John H. Brown. This
was the first wedding in the township. His son, John Simmons, born March 9, 1830,
is the oldest living person bom in the township. Soon after his marriage William
Simmons moved on and cleared the farm now occupied by his son, Andrew J. Sim-
mons. In 1819 Godfrey Bowman, a native of Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, settled
near the north road and built a large frame house, long known as the Godfrey Bow-
man house. This building, which was never completed, was used as an inn until
about 1881, when it was torn down to make room for a new building. Simeon B.
Lewis, a native of Eenssalaer county. New York, settled in 1830 on the farm now
owned by George Eeitter and lived there until 1851, when he removed to Westfield.
Hibbard Bonney, a physician, settled in the township about 1830, practiced his pro-
fession for several years and removed to Iowa, where he died. John Coffin, a native
of New Hampshire, settled in the northwestern part of the township in 1833. Isaac
H. Metcalf settled on the Adam Loper farm in 1834. He was one of the first justices
of the peace and the first postmaster of the township. In 1836 Ambrose Parker
settled on the farm now owned by Charles Brown, and later cleared and lived on the
farm now owned by his son, I. P. Parker. Lovel Plank, a native of Pomfret, Con-
necticut, settled in 1831 on the old homestead, where his grandson, W. L. Plank,
now resides.

The foregoing names include those of the more prominent settlers between
1809 and 1831. They were the men who cleared the first farms in the localities in
which they settled, facing all the dangers and experiencing all the hardships and



452 HISTOET OF TIOGA. COUNTY.

privations of pioneer life. With few exceptions, the old homesteads are owned and
occupied by their descendants, who rank among the most intelligent and pro-
gressive citizens of this prosperous township.

MILLS AND FACTOKIES.

At one time there were a number of water and steam saw-mills in difierent
parts of the township. Of those the only ones left are the Sehoonover mill, at
Austinburg, and the Gardner mill, on North Fork, near the Westfield township Hne.
This latter mill, first run by water power, was built about 1840, by Jonathan
Pierce, and sold by him a few years later to John Gardner, who operated it until
his death, in 1885, since which time it has been owned and operated by his son,
Milo Gardner. It is now run by steam and has a capacity of 10,000 feet of lumber
per day. A cheese factory, near the Clark school house, on Pulple brook, is operated
by 0. H. Snyder, who also operates factories at Brookfield and Sylvester. These
constitute the principal enterprises of the township, the people of which devote
their energies to agriculture. Considerable attention is paid to dairying, and the
cheese factories of the township are well supported by the farmers in their immediate
vicinity. The product of these, factories averages annually not far from 500,000
pounds.

SCHOOLS.

The first school in the township was taught ^about 1817 by Asa Bushnell, in
Curtis Cady's house. Among his pupils were four of Curtis Cady's children, four
of John Joseph's, two of Mr. Eoberts', and William Simmons, then thirteen years
of age. The first school house was built about 1820, at the foot of Noble's hill,
about where the school house of District No. 2 now stands. Eev. Samuel Conant
was, the first teacher here. He was succeeded by Anna Van Camp and Luman
Seely. J. B. Murdock and J. B. Seely were also early teachers in the township. The
first select school was taught in 1846 by William B. Price. After the passage of
the public school law, in 1834, the township was divided into school districts, and
three new school houses built before 1840. Three more were completed before
1860. There are now ten public school districts in the township. Frame school
buildings have replaced the primitive log structures, and modern methods and
appliances make the work easier for teachers and pupils.

CHUKCHES AND CEMETBEIES.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Broolcfield, incorporated September 8,
1859, was organized about the year 1818, and grew out of meetings held by Kev.
Thomas Magee — the first minister to preach in the township — and Eev. Mr. Nash.
It was first known as the Methodist Episcopal church of Mink Hollow. The first
place of meeting was at John Joseph's dwelling house, and the first members were
Ira Baker, Amos Baker, Samuel Baker, John Joseph, William Joseph, Azel Nobles
and their wives, and Hannah Joseph, Deborah Joseph and Curtis Cady. The first
pastor was Eev. Thomas Magee, whose successor was Eev. Mr. Nash. In 1836 Kev.
Nathan Fellows took charge and during his pastorate conducted a very successful
series of meetings at Curtis Cady's house. Meetings were held from house to
house throughout the township, resulting in such an increase of members that



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 59 of 163)