Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 62 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 62 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


only manufacturing industry in the place.

Sabinsville, situated in the Mill Creek valley, on the Addison and Pennsylvania
railroad, about a mile south of the north line of the township, was named in honor
of Alonzo G. Sabin. The first settlers here were Charles P. Douglas, Orrin Stebbins
and Elijah Hancock. A postoffice was established in 1849, with C. P. Douglas as
postmaster. He held the office sixteen years and was succeeded by E. H. Stebbins,
who held it twelve years. His successors have been L. J. Stone, G. W. Douglas, who
held it twelve yeaxs, and C. M. Davis, who was appointed June 18, 1894. The first
store in the place was built by Butler B. Strang and stocked with goods by himself
and C. P. Douglas. Among the other early merchants were D. A. Tooker, William
Simmons, J. L. Thompson and L. J. Stone. Mr. Stone, who is still in business, is
the oldest resident of the village. Those engaged in merchandising at present are
J. F. Goodspeed, F. L. Sears, E. W. Southworth, L. J. Stone, C. M. Davis and E.
Bevier. Mr. Bevier deals in hardware and is also in the livery business. George
A. Eoberts, the village blacksmith, is also a furniture dealer and undertaker. The
first hotel was kept by C. P. Douglas. In 1865 D. A. Tooker built the Clymer House.
Among those who succeeded him as landlords of this hotel were G. "W. Schott, Lucius
Inscho and John Eldridge. It was destroyed by fire in 1888, being at the time the
property of the last named, who in the same year erected the Hotel Beach, a' com-
modious three-story edifice. The present landlord is Lester W. Eice.

In 1837 the first saw-mill in the township was built on Mill creek, within the
present village, by Orrin Stebbins and Elijah Hancock. In 1873 Stebbins and
Eoberts built a steam saw and grist-mill, which was burned in 1877. At the present
time a fiour and feed mill is owned and operated by E. B. Schott. A cheese factory
located in the same building is conducted by 0. H. Snyder, of North Fork, Potter
county. A shingle mill is carried on by C. B. Cole.

The first regular physician in the township was Dr. T. M. Haner. Other early
physicians were Dr. Harvey Leach, Dr. Seamans, Dr. "W. E. Francis and Dr. K.
Shaw. The profession is represented at present by Dr. T. A. Bair, who came in
1880, and Dr. A. M. Greenfield, who located in 1892.

Davis Station, or Lansing Postofice, is the name of a railroad station and post-
office on the Addison and Pennsylvania railroad near the Gaines township line. A
store is kept by J. M. Davis, who has been the postmaster since the establishment
of the office in 1868!

Azelta is the name of a postoffice established June 2, 1892, about three miles



SHIPPEN TOWNSHIP. 469



southeast of Sabinsville. Wilmot H. Abbey has been postmaster since the opening
of the office and also keeps a small store.

Clymer is the name of a postoffice recently established west of Mixtown, near
the Potter county line. ' The postmaster is Venette Johnson. This office takes the
place of the Mixtown office, discontinued in October, 1894.



CHAPTEE XXXyil.

SHIPPEN TOWNSHIP.

Organization— Present Boundaries and Area— Streams— Physical Features
—Population— Early Settlers— King and Manning's Explorations— Big
Meadows— The Furmans— Assessment of 1824— Division of Township— Set-
tlers on Marsh Creek— Early Mills— Schools and Justices— Churches and
Cemeteries — Villages .



SHIPPEN township, taken from Delmar, was organized in February, 1833. It is
bounded on the north by Clymer and Chatham townships; on the east by Delmar;
on the south by Delmar and Elk, and on the west by Gaines and Clymer townships.
Gaines was taken from it in 1837. As at present constituted, thetownshipisaboutfive
miles from east to west by nine miles from north to south, and contains about forty-
five square miles. The principal streams are Pine creek and Marsh creek. The
former enters the township midway of its western boundary, flows in an easterly direc-
tion, for three and a half miles, when it receives the water of Marsh creek, and then
turns southwest and enters Elk township near its northeast corner. Marsh creek,
the principal tributary of Pine creek, enters the township at the village of Marsh
Creek, flowing out of Delmar township. It pursues a southwest direction for a dis-
tance of nearly three miles through a level marshy valley to the village of Ansonia,
where it joins its waters with those of Pine creek. There is evidence to support the
idea, entertained by those famiUar with the physical chaxacteristics of the valleys of
these streams, within the township, that Pine creek once flowed northeast over the
Marsh creek course and emptied into Crooked creek at Middlebury Center. What
causes contributed to turn it southward from Ansonia can only be conjectured. After
entering the township. Marsh creek receives the waters of Strait run and Asaph run,
both of which flow from the north. At the Gaines township line Pine creek receives
Painter run, flowing from the southwest, and below Ansonia receives Darling run,
which flows from the east. The township is nearly equally divided by Marsh creek
and that part of Pine creek west of Ansonia. The farming lands of the township



470 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

lie in the valleys of these streams and their tributaries, except a limited upland
area in the southeast corner. The remainder of the township is mountainous, and
■was originally covered with a heavy growth of pine and hemlock. This, save a
limited area in the northern and southern parts, has all been converted into lumber,
lumbering operations at one time being carried on on an extensive scale.

In 1840, after the taking from it of Gaines township, Shippen contained 193
inhabitants. In 1870 the census returns showed 270; in 1880, 441, and in 1890, 733.

EAELY SETTLEHS.

In a work entitled, "Pioneer Life, or Thirty Years a Hunter," by Philip Tomb,
a son of Jacob Tomb, a pioneer settler of Lycoming county, is found the statement
that, "in 1794 James King and a Mr. Manning went on an exploring expedition up
Pine creek, to ascertain if any elk were to be found, and also if any Indians were in
the neighborhood." They ascended that stream in a canoe and about the seventh or
eighth day after starting, "arrived at the third fork of Pine creek. On the west side,
opposite the fork, they discovered a large tract of cleared land, consisting of as many
as a hundred and sixty acres, to which they gave the name of the Big Meadows. They
were the first white men there. It had been cleared by the Six Nations, and they
thought had probably been vacated for twenty or thirty years, but they could still
discover marks of corn hills. On the opposite side of the creek, near the fork, they
found a plum orchard of twenty acres, abounding with fruit. Between the
plum orchard and the creek was a tract of cleared land of about thirty acres
which appeared to have once been a corn field. In this vicinity they found a great
many elk and bears ***** -n^gy then ascended the fork seven
miles, when they arrived at a place which they called Big Marsh." He says they next
returned to Big Meadows, where they left their canoe, and proceeded on foot twelve
miles up Pine creek.

The "Big Meadows" referred to in the foregoing, is now known as "Ansonia"
and the "Third fork" as Marsh creek. It thus appears that King and Manniag, the
two men who made this exploring expedition, were "the first white men that ever
penetrated the wilderness lying on Pine creek and its tributaries," and were also the
first white men to appear within the boundaries of what is now Shippen township.

Ten years later — in 1804 — a party of hunters — one of whom was William Fur-
man — ^found their way up Pine Creek valley, above the mouth of Marsh creek. So
pleased was William Purman with the country and the abundance of game, that upon
his return to his home at Sunbury, jS"orthumberlaiid county, Pennsylvania, he per-
suaded his brothers, Aaron and Josiah, to join him in making a settlement. This they
did in the spring of 1805. William and Aaron settled at Purmantown, in Gaines
township, and Josiah located at Big Meadows, or Ansonia, as it is now called, thus
becoming the first settler in Shippen township. Benjamin, another brother, came
later and settled at Purmantown. A man named Mills, whose daughter Josiah Fur-
man married, appears to have been the next settler at Ansonia. Then came Eobert
Steele, a Eevolutionary soldier. Mills and Steele both settled at Big Meadows.
Elijah Dimmick came into the township early in the present century— before 1830—
and settled on the J. C. Hamilton place. Eichard Ellis also settled before 1830.
In 1824 when the first assessment of the township was made, there were living



SHIPPBIT TOWNSHIP. ^y-j^



m hm Its present bomdaries, Elijah Dimmick, Paul Dimmick, Eichard Ellis, John
Mlsworth, Asaph Ellis, David Ellis, Consider Ellis, Eichard Ellis, Jr, John Ellis,
Eobert Francis, Josiah Fnrman, Eeuben Herrington, George Hnyler, Levi Murdock,
Morns Miller, Eichard Phillips, Eobert Steele, John Steele, Jame. Steele, Ephraim
Steele and Frederick Tanner.

In December, 1837, the township was divided, the western half being erected
mto a new township called Gaines. The next assessment made in 1838 showed sixty-
three taxables within the township as now constituted. The settled portion of the
township embraced the valley of Pine creek, west of the mouth of Marsh creek. That
portion of the valley of this latter stream in the township settled slowly owing to its
marshy character. As late as 1864 there were but seven families in its valley between
Ansonia and the Delmar township line. There were, beginning at the west, Kelson
Swope, William Dimmick, a Mr. PoUison, Andrew Lovejoy, a Mr. Willoughby, a Mr.
Hiltbold and Charles Grinnell.

EAHLT MILLS.

The first saw-mill in the township was erected on Pine creek, about a mile and
a half above Ansonia, by Eichard Ellis. It appears on the assessment list of 1816, as
does also a grist-mill erected by Asaph Ellis, to whom in 1818 the saw-mill was also
assessed. These mills were owned jointly in 1823 by Eichard Ellis, Sr., and Asaph,
David, John and Eichard Ellis, Jr. In 1826 Eeuben Herrington erected a saw-
mill in the same neighborhood. Eichard Phillips erected a saw-mill on Pine creek
about 1827. About 1833 he and Samuel Phillips established a carding machine in
connection with the mill. In 1839 Leonard Pfoutz erected a saw-mill and a grist-mill
on Pine creek at Manchester, below Ansonia. In 1831 Daily & Beecher bought out
Herrington. In this year also John Mathers erected a saw-mill near the Gaines
township line oh Pine creek. Leonard Pfoutz sold his mills to Stowell & Dickinson,
who, in 1833, were operating two saw-mills. In 1834 they were operating four saw-
mills and a grist-miU. In 1838 the firm of Mathers & Seoville was formed, and in
1839 Stowell & Dickinson became Stowell & Company. In 1841 the firm of Mathers
& Seoville was changed to John Mathers & Company, which in 1845 was succeeded by
Jesse Locke. In this year White & Maynard erected a gang saw-mill. The Locke
mills appear to have passed into the possession of Bache, Eoss & Company, who sold
them to Smith, Wisner & Company in 1854. In 1850 the Stowell & Company mill s
were transferred to Phelps, Dodge & Company, afterwards known as the Pennsyl-
vania Joint Land and Lumber Company, who during the next twenty years carried
on operations on an extensive scale. Gradually, however, but surely, the available
timber supply began to give out and the mills ceased operation. At the present time
the only mill in active operation in the township is that of E. Matson & Son, at Marsh
Creek, near the Delmar township line. This mill was established near the mouth of
Heise run, in Delmar township, in 1883, and moved to its present location in 1891.
It employs about thirty hands and has a capacity of 30,000 feet of lumber a day.
There have been no grist-mills operated in the township for over twenty years. The
Herrington mill was destroyed by fire, being owned at the time by Cl^arles and Horace
Herrington; the others ceased operations for lack of profitable patronage.



472 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

SCHOOLS AND JUSTICES.

The early schools of the township, like those in other townships of the county,
were supported by subscription, the buUdings were log cabins, like the homes of the
settlers, and instruction was confined to an elementary knowledge of reading, writing,
arithmetic and spelling. After the township became more thickly settled, better
buildings were erected and a corresponding advance was made in the methods of
teaching. At the present time there are five school houses in the township. Good
teachers are employed and the pupils receive the benefits of the most approved
methods of instruction.

Since the organization of the township the office of justice of the peace has been
held by the following named persons: Chauncey Alford, 1837; David Ellis, 1830;
Joseph Aiken, 1832; Jesse E. Eay, 1833; John P. Donaldson, 1834; Daniel Holiday,
1835; Simeon Houghton, 1836; Levi I. Mehols, 1836; Samuel Phillips, 1841; Alvah
Austin, 1843; Henry Sligh, 1845; re-elected, 1850, 1856; George M. Herrington,
1847; Chester Ellis, 1850; Eufus Eisk, 1851; Joseph A. DarUng, 1855; re-elected^
1860, 1865, 1870; Thoms Eleeney, 1865; John W. English, 1877; re-elected, 1883;
John A. Covert, 1878; C. 0. Brown, 1881; E. M. Keeney, 1885; Nelson Swope, 1887;
re-elected, 1893; J. B. Van Gelder, 1891; Clayton Butler, 1895, and E. W. Brough-
ton, 1897.

CHUKCHBS AND CEMETEEIES.

In 1840 a frame church building was erected at Ansonia by Phelps, Dodge &
Company, Hon. William E. Dodge being the leading spirit in the enterprise. Mr.
Dodge was a Presbyterian, and in September, 1840, the building was dedicated as the
Presbyterian Chiirch of Manchester, that being the name applied to the place at
the time. It has since been more familiarly known as the "Piue Creek Church," and
is to-day the second oldest house of worship in the county. Though dedicated as a
Presbyterian church it has always been open to other Christian denominations. The
building was erected under the supervision of Israel Eichard, boss carpenter, who
followed a model furnished by the father of Hon. William E. Dodge, from a little
church in Connecticut. Eev. Mr. Spauldiag, of Southport, New York, officiated at
the dedication. Among those present were Hon. William E. Dodge and wife, and his
sister, Mrs. E. C. Steadman, wife of Edmund Clarence Steadman, the banker-poet.
She wrote a poem, inspired by the occasion and surroundings, which appeared in the
Tioga Eagle. In 1854 the church was repaired and re-dedicated, and again repaired
and re-dedicated in 1886. 'So church society seems to have been organized at
Ansonia. In 1843 and 1844 the members of the congregation became members of
the church at Wellsboro, and the Ansonia membership has since constituted a branch
of the Wellsboro church, the pastors of which have held stated services in the church
at Ansonia. Eev. Thomas Poster was supply during 1843, since which time there
have been but two pastors, Eev. J. P. Calkins, who came in 1844 and remained until
1880; and Eev. A. C. Shaw, who came in 1880, and is the present pastor.

The Methodist Episcopal Church has a class at Ansonia that is a branch of the
Dexter Methodist Episcopal Church of Delmar township. For over thirty years ser-
vices have been held in the Presbyterian church. During the earlier years these ser-
vices were irregular, but for some time past they have been held once in every two



SHIPPBN TOWNSHIP. 473

weeks. The pastor of the Dexter church conducts them. He has also within his
charge the classes at Marsh Creek, Asaph and Pine Eidge,in Shippen township, as well
as the church at Middle Eidge in Delmar township. These all constitute what is
known as the Ansonia charge. The names of the pastors will he foun 1 in the history
of the Dexter church, in the chapter devoted to Delmar township.

The Shippen Baptist Church was organized May 3, 1891, with the following
members: J. D. Webster, Mrs. Permelia Webster, B. S. English, Mrs. Eosetta
English, Harris Dartt, Mrs. Caroline Dartt, Mrs. Lillian Dartt, W. Harrison, Mrs.
Betsey Harrison, Miss Lodema Harrison, Milon Wilson, Mrs. Mary Wilson, Lemuel
Sherman, Mrs. Laviaa Sherman, Tile ShermaJi, Mrs. Lucinda Sherman, John Mor-
row, Mrs. Alta Morrow, William Hazleton, Mary Hazleton, Mrs. Dora Knowlton,
Miss Lydia Knowlton, Miss Olivia Jones, Miss Sjdvia Ester, Mrs. Mattie Hall, Alonzo
L. Bowen, Eev. W. H. Playfoot and Elijah Phillips. The following named persons
have served this church as pastors: Eevs. W. H. Playfoot, 1891-93; J. T. Bradford,
1893-95, and Eev. P. Eeynolds, who took charge June 18, 1896. Meetings are held in
the Shippen school house. The present membership is forty-two. There are about
thirty pupils in the Sunday-school, of which Mrs. M. L. Hall is the superintendent.
The Ansonia Cemetery occupies a plot of ground adjoining that of the Presby-
terian church, the ground for both being acquired at the same time. Here lies the
remains of a number of early pioneers, among them Israel Merrick, Sr., who settled in
Delmar township in 1805, and died April 30, 1844, aged seventy-eight years;
Henry Sligh, Eeuben Herrington, Abiatha Swope and others. There are also several
private burying grounds in the township.

VILLAGES.

Ansonia is the name of a village situated at the junction of Marsh and Pine
creeks. The level area here covers several hundred acres. It is thought to have been
at one time the site of an Indian village, the first explorers finding evidences of the
land having been cleared and cultivated some years before their coming. They gave
it the name of Big Meadows. It was here, in 1805, Josiah Furman settled, and soon
after had for neighbors a man named Mills, whose daughter he married, and Eobert
Steele. About 1839 Leonard Pfoutz erected a saw-mill a mile and a half below on
Pine creek. A few years later he was succeeded by Stowell & Dickinson, who also
carried on a store. The place took the name of Manchester, and the present site of
Ansonia, Manchester Farms, to which place Stowell & Dickinson afterwards moved
their store. About 1838 Phelps, Dodge & Company — otherwise known as the Joint
Land and Lumber Company — purchased large bodies of timber lands in Delmar and
Shippen townships and began lumbering operations on an extensive scale. In 1850
they acquired the Stowell & Dickinson mills. A company store was run at An-
sonia. This was closed in 1871 and the place was vdthout a store until 1883,
when J. P. Howe embarked in business. He was succeeded in 1884 by W. H. Thomp-
son, and he in 1894 by Gilbert E. Tate. Another store is carried on by J. D. Gross.
These constitute the mercantile enterprises of the village. In 1884 a hotel building
was erected by Phelps, Dodge & Company, the present landlord of which is E. J.
Bradley. The first hotel in the township, however, appears to have been kept by
John Mathers, who was assessed as a tavern keeper in 1834. About this time, also.



474 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

David Ellis engaged in the business, keeping hotel for a number of years. Eeuben
Herrington and after him George W. Herrington kept this house. It was closed in
the spring of 1895, Charles Scott being the landlord at the time, and is now used as
a private dwelling.

A postoiSce was established in 1845, John Mathers being the first postmaster.
The office was named Shippen. His successors have been John Dickinson, Deroy
Herrington, who held the office during the Civil War; Henry Sligh, Henry Broughton
and George W. Herrington, who held until March 38, 1884. In 1876 the name^was
changed to Ansonia, in honor of Anson Phelps, of Phelps, Dodge & Company. In
the meantime the office had been without a permanent location. A portion of the
time it was at Ansonia, but as a rule the postmaster kept the office at his residence.
March 28, 1884, the name of the office was changed to Ebenton — ^being named for
Ebenezer B. Campbell, for many years a foreman for Phelps, Dodge & Company. J. P.
Howe was appointed postmaster, and the office located at Ansonia. He held it until
the fall of 1884, when W. H. Thompson took the office. His successors have been
T. L. Eeese, appointed August 31, 1891; Gilbert E. Tate, July 17, 1894; resigned in
the spring of 1896, and John D. Gross was appointed. In the spring of 1895 the
name Ebenton was dropped and that of Ansonia restored.

In 1884 the Pine Creek railroad was completed from Stokesdale Junction to
Williamsport, and a station established at Ansonia. In 1894 the Buffalo and Sus-
quehanna railroad was built from Galeton to Ansonia, and the Pall Brook Station was
moved one-fourth of a mile northeast to the junction of the two roads. This station
is now in charge of L. G. Davison, who acts for both companies, and is also the
agent of the Western Union and Postal Telegraph companies at Ansonia.

Shippen Grange, ISTo. 902, P. of H., meets at Ansonia. It was organized January
8, 1890, and has now a membership of nearly forty. Pine Grove Lodge, 'No. 20, P. of
T., organized February 36, 1896, contains over fifty members and meets at the old
Herrington house, west of the village.

Marsh Greek is the name of a postoffice established in 1874 with Samuel Scranton
as postmaster. His successors have been C. P. Gee, Bloss Holiday, C. P. Gee, a sec-
ond term, and E. Matson. During the incumbency of Mr. Gee the office was in Del-
mar township, his residence, store and saw-mill being just east of the township line.
The office is at present in the store of E. Matson & Company, who operate a large
steam saw-mill here. Morning Dawn Lodge, Ko. 61, 1. 0. G. T., meets in this village.
It was organized August 4, 1893, and now embraces about forty memi)ers. The P.
0. S. of A. have also a lodge here, with a goodly number of adherents who subscribe
to the principles of that order.

Asaph is the name of a postoffice established May 18, 1889, in the store of 0. S.
Butler near the mouth of Asaph run. Mr. Butler, who has held the office continuously
to the present time, established a store here in 1881. The distance between this
office and that of Marsh Creek is less than half a mile. Asaph is also the meetiag
place of two secret societies, viz: Asaph Tent, No. 183, K. 0. T. M., organized July
13, 1893; and Asaph Hive, ISTo. 94, L. 0. T. M., organized September 26, 1895, both
of which have a fair membership.



CHAPTEK XXXYIII.

GAINES TOWNSHIP.

Organization— Reduction of Abea— Derivation of Name— Physical Charac-
teristics — Streams — Timber and Game — Population — Early Settlers
— Past and Present Enterprises— The Gaines Coal and Coke Company
— Early Schools — Physicians and Justices — Churches — Cemeteries — So-
cieties—Villages AND POSTOFFICES.



BY an order of the court of quarter sessions, dated December 29, 1837, the town-
ship of Gaines was created, its territory being taken from the western half of
Shippen township. In December, 1850, a strip two miles wide was taken from it
on the north and went to make up the township of Clymer. As now constituted, it is
about six miles from east to west by eight and a quarter miles from north to south
and contains fifty square miles. It is bounded on the north by the township of
Clymer, on the east by Shippen township, on the south by Elk township and on the
west by Potter county. It was named in honor of General Gaines, who was conspic-
uous in the removal of the Creek Indians during the administrations of John Quincy
'Adams and Andrew Jackson.

It is one of the most rugged and picturesque townships in the county. Pine
creek traverses it from west to east, and divides it into two parts, that on the north
being a trifle the larger. During its passage through the township, this creek re-
ceives the water of a number of branch streams. On the north are Phoenix creek,
near the Potter county line; Long run, which rises in Clymer township and has its
confluence at Gaiaes; Shim Hollow run, which empties in at Manhattan, and Mill run
which empties in at Frumantown. On the south are Elk run, which empties in at
Watrous; Lick nm, which empties in near Manhattan, and Painter run, which
empties in between Manhattan and the Shippen township liae. The branches
of Long run are Blue run and Benn Gully run on the east and Gal run on the west.
All these brooks and runs flow through narrow valleys, lined by mountains that rise
to a height of 600 to 900 feet. While they add to the picturesqueness of the scenery



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 62 of 163)