Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 65 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 65 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mr. Thomas was pastor of this church during the first year of its existence, since which
time it has been served by Eev. WilHam Young, also pastor of the church at Austin.
The earlier meetings were held in the Mt. Pleasant school house. A neat, frame
building costing $1,000 was dedicated May 3, 1896. It is two miles and a half



MOEEIS TOWNSHIP. 491



southwest of Morris. The present membership numbers thirty. There are about
forty pupils in the Sunday-school, of which Lafayette English is superintendent.

The Church of the Sacred Heart — Catholic — was organized in 1883, and in 1884
a house of worship costing $6,000 was erected near the dividing line between Morris
and Hoytville, and within the boundaries of the latter village. The building and
grounds were damaged by the June flood of 1889, rendering a further expenditure
of $600 necessary for repairs. The membership of this church consists of about
seventy-five Irish and Polish families. It is a mission church of the Wellsboro
parish, and has been served by the priests of St. Peter's Church, Wellsboro, services
being held on the second Sunday of each month. The Polish members of the church
are ministered to by Eev. Father Lopansld, of Antrim, who holds services on the
third Sunday of each month. There is connected with this church a branch of the
Catholic Total Abstinence and Benevolent Association, with twenty members.

SOCIETIES.

The secret and benevolent orders are represented as follows: Hoytville Lodge,
No. 663, 1. 0. 0. P., was organized September 38, 1887, with thirty-two members. It
owns a hall building erected in the fall of 1893, costing with the furniture, $4,400.
The lower story is used as a public hall and is fitted up with a stage. Stella Ara-
minta Lodge, Daughters of Eebekah, was organized October 38, 1893, with fifty-five
charter members. It meets in the Odd Fellows' hall and has now a membership of
sixty-one. Morris Tent, 'Eo. 315, K. 0. T. M., was organized January 30, 1894, and
has forty-two members. It meets in the Odd Fellows' hall. Lorenton Grange, No.
1,095, P. of H., with about fifty members, meets at Lorenton, where it erected a
two-story frame hall building in 1896. A post of the G. A. E. and a camp of the P.
0. S. of A. meet in Morris.

VILLAGES AND POSTOFEICES.

Morris is situated in the northeastern part of the township, on Babb's creek^
near the mouth of Wilson creek. The first settler here was Samson Babb, who lo-
cated in 1800, and built a flutter-wheel saw-mill in 1806. This mill was continued in
operation after Samson Babb's death, in 1815, for many years by his son William
Babb. A postoffice was established in 1840, William Babb being the flrst post-
master. His successors have been Samuel Doane, William W. Babb, A. L. Bodine,
Mr. Sweeney, W. W. Tate, E. E. Kelts, A. Leonard, E. E. Kelts and Thomas J.
Birmingham, who was appointed December 30, 1895. William Babb was also the
first inn keeper, opening a house for the entertainment of the traveling public over
sixty years ago. William W. Babb was an '-'inn-keeper" in 1850 and for a number
of years thereafter. His house stood near the Black Hotel, now managed by E. A.
Kennedy. During the intervening years he has had a number of successors. There
are now in Morris four hotels, as follows: The Black Hotel, kept by E. A. Kennedy;
the Park Hotel, by C. Porter; the Walker House, by B. P. Walker, and the Tunney
House, by Luke Tunney. The first store in the neighborhood was kept by Job Doane
during the time of the Civil War, about a mile and a half below the village, near
the mouth of Stony Fork creek. The early merchants in the village itself were
Ichabod Brown and William W. Babb, who were in business in 1866. Since the com-
pletion of the Arnot and Pine Creek railroad in 1883, of which Hoytville is the



492 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.



termimis, Morris has grown rapidly, and has been and still is an important business
and trading center. Daily stages carry the mail and passengers to and from Black-
wells, connecting with the trains on the Pine Creek railway, and to and from Antrim,
connecting with the trains on the Wellsboro and Antrim railwcy. A daily stage also
runs between Morris and Liberty.

Blackwells, the name of the railroad station and village, Lloyd being the name of
the postoffice, is situated on Pine creek, at the mouth of Babb's creek, within a mile of
the Lycoming county line. The first settler here was Enoch Blackwell, who came
from Oregon Hill, Lycoming county, in 1811, hairing previously purchased a body of
1,300 acres of timbered land lying along Pine creek, both above and below the present
village site. When he came on to the land he found it occupied by A. P. Harris -
George Bonnell, who had but a squatter's right, and who appear to have quietly
yielded possession. Mr. Blackwell engaged in lumbering, rafting the pine timber
down Pine creek to the Susquehanna river. He died at Jersey Shore in the spring of
1816, and in the following year his son, William, became a resident at Blackwells and
the foTmder of the village, which is still the home of his sons, George, Enoch and
William, and a number of their children. He, like his father, followed lumbering,
clearing enough of land in the Pine Creek valley to raise such farm products as
were needed by his family. As early ss 1825 a man named Jacob Warren had a small
store below the present village. He also erected a small flutter-wheel mill. About
1844 Horace Williston, a lumberman, opened a store in the village. Other early
merchants were John Chadwick and A. C. Bush. About 1864 Enoch and William
Blackwell opened a store which has been continued down to the present time and is
now kept by Eugene B. Blackwell. A general store is also kept by Jacob Brodhead,
and a drug-store by Dr. William Blackwell. A postoffice called Lloyd was estab-
lished in 1862. Enoch Blackwell, the first postmaster, was succeeded by Jacob Brod-
head, and he in 1889 by Eugene B. Blackwell. Mr. Brodhead, who now holds the
office, was re-appointed in 1893. William Blackwell opened a hotel about 1825 and
kept it until his death in 1859. The hotel known as the Gillespie House, was erected
by William P. Blackwell in 1882, and was kept by him for four years. His successor
was Edwin Gregory. The present landlord, J. M. Gillespie, purchased the property
in 1887. The Eailroad Hotel was built in 1884 and was kept for a time by Matthew
Love. The present landlord is J. H. Barton. Blackwells is a station on the Pine
Creek railroad, now a part of the Fall Brook system. A daily stage carries mail and
passengers to and from Hoytville and Morris.

Hoytville is the name of a village which adjoins Morris on the southwest, and
Hke it lies in the valley of Babb's creek. The beginning of its history dates to the fall
of 1880, when Hoyt Brothers, of New York, purchased a large body of land, heavily
timbered with hemlock, lying on both sides of Babb's creek, with a view to the es-
tablishment of a steam tannery. A site was selected and operations begun in Feb-
ruary, 1880. The grinding of bark and the tanning of leather was begun in Septem-
ber, 1881, but the mammoth plant, which was named the Brunswick Tannery, was not
completed and in full operation before January 1, 1882. At the time of its'comple-
tion it was the largest steam tannery in the world. It is devoted to the production of
non-acid hemlock-tanned sole leather, and has a capacity of 1,000 sides per day.
When running with a full force — inside and out— it affords employment for over



DUNCAN TOWNSHIP. 493



300 hands. To provide homes for its employes the company erected nearly 100
dwellings and a boarding house. It also erected a store, a steam saw-mill, a planing-
mill, a f eed-mUl and blacksmith and carpenters' shops. The tannery was run by Hoyt
Brothers untn May 1, 1893, since which time it has been operated by the Union Tan-
ning Company. The tamiery is in charge ol A. E. Spicer, superintendent. The fore-
men are George W. Darby, E. L. Kingsbury and W. L. English. In 1883 Hoyt
Brothers joined with the Blossburg Coal and Mining Company in building a line of
railroad, known as the Amot and Pine Creek railroad — ^from Arnot to Hoytville — its
present terminus, thus enabling not only the owners of the tannery to ship its product
to market, but giving the village of Morris the advantage of railroad facilities. The
company store was managed by an agent until 1893, since which time the business has
been carried on by Darby & Frutiger, the firm consisting of S. D. Darby and John
Frutiger. A postoffice was established in January, 1893, and named Hoytville.
The office of postmaster has been held by 0. F. Taylor, S. S. Van Etten, A. E. Spicer
and John Frutiger, the present incumbent.

Lorenton is the name of a postoffice on the Lycoming county line, almost due
south from Morris. It was established in July, 1891. The postmaster is Hiram G.
Mattoon, who also keeps a general store. A grange hall is located here.



CHAPTEE XLL

DUNCAlSr TOWNSHIP.

Deeivation of Name— Organization — Area — Boundaries — Altitude— Popula-
tion— Justices— The Fall Brook Coal Company— The Village of Antrim-
Hotels — Postmasters — Schools — Physicians — Societies — Churches-
Villages.



DUNCAN" township, named in honor of Duncan S. Magee, was organized in De-
cember, 1873, and was taken from Delmar, Charleston and Morris townships.
It is one of the smaller townships in the county, and contains between twenty and
twenty-five square miles. Delmar and Charleston townships bound it on the north,
Bloss and Morris on the east and south, and Morris and Delmar on the west. Its
lands are nearly all owned by the the Pall Brook Coal Company, its population, except
a few families living on farms and in the village of Summit, in the northern part,
being confined to the mining town of Antrim. Its area, the greater portion of which
is underlaid with semi-bituminous coal, is rugged and mountainous, the elevation at
Antrim being 1,672 feet and that at Summit 1,863 feet above tidewater. In 1880



494 HISTOBY OF TIOGA OOUNTT.

the township had 1,791 inhabitants, and in 1890, 2,449. The following named per-
sons have served as justices of the peace of the township since its organization:
Isaac S. Marshall, 1874; William Clark, 1874; David W. Jenkins, 1879; James W.
Donaldson, 1883; John Hammond, 1884; George W. Balfour, 1884; re-elected, 1896;
J. A. Vandegrift, 1888; Eleazer Jones, 1889; re-elected, 1894.

THE FALL BEOOK COAL COMPANY.

The preliminary investigations which led to the opening of the coal mines at
Antrim were begun in May, 1866, by Thomas Farrer and John Smith, two experi-
enced explorers and woodsmen, in the employ of the Fall Brook Coal Company, at
Fall Brook. Their explorations, which were continued during the year, were carried
on in the mountain regions near the headwaters of Wilson creek, on lands owned by
William Bache, and resulted in the finding of coal in what they believed to be paying
quantities. Their favorable report led to the securing of the land by Duncan S.
Magee and Humphries Brewer for the Fall Brook Coal Company, and to the building
of a log house for the use of the explorers, while engaged in further explorations,
which were continued during 1867-68, with such successful and gratifying results,
that it was determined to build a line of railroad from Lawrenceville to the new
coal field.

On AprU 4, 1867, the Lawrenceville and Wellsboro Eailroad Company was incor-
porated, with Humphries Brewer, of Fall Brook, president, and James Heron, also-
of Fall Brook, secretary and treasurer. A preliminary survey was begun under Mr.
Brewer's direction, September 23, 1867, by Anton Hardt, civil engineer. Mr. Brewer
died December 25, 1867, and was succeeded as president by Hon. Henry Sherwood,
of Wellsboro, who filled that position until the completion of the road from Law-
renceville to Wellsboro — a distance of twenty-four miles — in May, 1872. On October
38, of the same year, it was completed to Antrim, the new mining town on Wilson
creek, the contractors for the entire line being Gen. James Ward & Company, of
Towanda, Pennsylvania.

Duncan S. Magee died in the spring of 1869, and was succeeded as superin-
tendent of the Fall Brook Coal Company by Gen. George J. Magee, under whose
direction the survey and location of the railroad was completed, a steam saw-mill
erected and the work of opening up the mines and providing houses for the miners-
begun and carried forward until everything was in readiness for the mining and
shipment of coal, which was begun upon the completion of the railroad. During 1873^
the product of the mines amounted to 11,366 tons. Since then mining has been
carried on continuously, hundreds of thousands of tons of coal being mined and
shipped annually, furnishing employment for a large number of miners and work-
men and profitable traffic for the railway leading from the mines to Lawrenceville.
Within the past few years there has been a marked falling off in production and a con-
sequent reduction in the number of employes, owing principally to the opening up
of new mines in Clearfield county, where the coal is more easily and more cheaply
mined.

William Howell, the resident manager of this company, has filled that position
since 1883, for eight years previous to which he was the paymaster. James Pollock
has filled the position of mining superintendent since 1883. His son, Alexander-



DUNCAN TOWNSHIP. 495

Pollock, and Morgan Davis are mine foremen, E. S. Harrower is outside foreman,
and C. E. Burgess chute foreman. The store is in charge of William Howell, Jr.,
with W. W. Forest buyer and D. M. Edwards book-keeper. 0. E. Crediford fills the
position of station agent and is also postmaster, while the steam ssaw-mill is in charge
of A. C. Dudgeon.

THE VILLAGE OF ANTEIM.

Antrim is situated in the southwestern part of the township, near the head-
waters of Wilson creek, and its history dates from the building of the Lawrenceville
and Wellsboro railroad and the opening of the coal mines by the Fall Brook Coal
Company. In 1868, while the explorations of Thomas Faxrer and his party were in
progress, the site of the village was visited by Duncan S. Magee, Hon. Daniel E.
Howell, of Bath, New York; Gen. George J. Magee, John Lang and Charles Craw-
ford, of Watkins, New York; Hon. Charles C. B. Walker and A. H. Gorton, of
Corning, JSTew York; John Magee, Jr., S. S. EUsworth, of Penn Yan, and Anton
Hardt, John Smith and B. P. Cummings, of Fall Brook. The purpose of their visit
was to note the progress of the work and to christen the village. The party accord-
ingly gathered round one of the springs nearby, while Duncan S. Magee, after dip-
ping a glassful! of water from its crystal depth, named the new village "Antrim" in
honor of the County Antrim, Ireland, "the native land of the Magees." The
name was duly recorded after the observance of appropriate ceremonies.

In December, 1867, Titus Drainsfield, who is still living in the village, moved
into the log house previously erected for the explorers. About the same time,
Thomas GafEney, the first mining superintendent, located at the foot of the moun-
tain. A small building erected for a blacksmith-shop, for the purpose of repairing
the tools of the explorers, was soon afterwards occupied by Solomon Eosenkrans.
These three men and their families constituted the pioneers of the place. Most of
the early miners who followed them came from Fall Brook, where they had been in
the employ of the company.

During 1870, Drift No. 1, the opening of which is in the southeastern part of
the village, was put in under the direction of Thomas GafEney. A steam saw-mill —
the boilers for which were drawn overland on sleighs from Tioga — was completed
early in 1871, and was destroyed by fire in July, 1873. It was replaced by a portable
mill. On January 1, 1871, there were ten dwellings in the village. In April, 1871,
Thomas Farrer moved his family from Fall Brook, and was followed in November
by John Hinman, the first postmaster and store agent. In January, 1873, David
Cooper, master carpenter, took charge of the erection of tenements and chutes, and
Isaac S. Marshall succeeded Mr. Hinman as store agent, the latter devoting his time
to his duties as paymaster, etc. On October 38, 1873, the railroad was completed, the
first train arriving in the village being hauled by engine No. 1, Joseph Boyle en-
gineer. John Wilson was the conductor.

A hotel building was erected by the company, the first landlord being D. D.
Holliday. This building, which stood near the railroad depot, was burned in 1883,
Andrew K. Fletcher being landlord at the time. The present Antrim Hotel was
erected the same year. The landlords have been James E. Fish and John P. Dwyer.
Mr. Dwyer took charge in 1888, an^ has proven a genial and popular landlord.



496 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

A postoffice, named Antrim, was established soon after the completion of the
railroad, in October, 1872, the first postmaster being Thomas Farrer. His successors
have been A. J. Pollock and 0. E. Crediford, who was appointed August 4, 1890.
The office is in the railway station, Mr. Crediford also filling the position of station
agent. A daily mail is received by rail from Wellsboro and from Morris by stage.

The first school in Antrim was established temporarily in a tenement house.
Miss Ella Cooper and Miss Mary Hinman being the early teachers. After the or-
ganization of the township, a school building was erected and used until 1880 when
the present three-room building was completed. Night schools were also established
for those who were compelled to work during the day. A district school was erected
at Summit for the accommodation of pupils living in the northern part of the town-
ship. School is maintained at Antrim an average of nine, and at Summit an average
of six months in the year.

Among the early resident physicians were Dr. Egbert George and Dr. E. G.
Drake. The profession is now represented by Dr. W. D. Burke and Dr. J. J. Van
"Wert.

The following named secret societies have lodges in Antrim: Duncan Lodge,
No. 968, 1. 0. 0. P., which was instituted December 33, 1879, and now has 119 mem-
bers; Division No. 2, A. 0. H., organized October 28, 1888, and a K. of P. lodge with
a large membership, the lodge at Morris having recently been merged with it.

CHUEOHES.

Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church dates the beginning of its history from a
service held in the school house in Antrim July 24, 1872, by Eev. Charles Breck,
D. D., rector of St. Paul's church, "Wellsboro. At the close of the service a meeting
was held for the purpose of organizing a church. Dr. Breck presided and John Hin-
man acted as secretary. The organization was effected and a vestry elected. The
early services were held in the paymaster's office, John Hinman acting as lay reader.
Sermons were read by Isaac S. Marshall and Dr. E. Qjorge. On April 26, 1873, John
Magee, Jr., died, and in his will it was provided that the sum of $50,000 be expended
by his executors in erecting five Episcopal churches, iq compliance with which the
present handsome edifice, costing $13,000, was built. The corner stone was laid in
July, 1880, and the building completed in 1881. It was consecrated June 6, 1882.
Eev. Charles Breck, who established the mission, was the first rector. In August,
1874, Eev. John London, took charge. In 1875 Eev. Charles Breck again became
rector. In November, 1872, Eev. E. Lansberger became the first resident rector.
His successors have been Eevs. Percy Clinton "VVebber, Enos J. Balsley, "W. L. Wood-
ruff, George Eogers, J. U. Graf, Lawrence Buckley Thomas, D. D., and Alexander
Eenshaw De"Witt. On November 11, 1894, Eev. Dr. Thomas again took charge.
He is also the rector of St. Andrews' church, Tioga. There are now ninety members
in this church, which maintains a Sunday-school of 125 pupils, of which James B.
Howell is superintendent.

St. John's Catholic Church is the outgrowth of monthly services held soon after
the opening of the mines, by Eev. John "Wynne and Eev. J. C. McDermott, of
Blossburg. A church edifice was erected in 1877. Sinc^890, during the pastorate
of Eev. M. J. Manly, the church has been frescoed, a bell purchased and put in place



DUNCAN TOWNSHIP. 497



and other improvements made, the whole involving an outlay of $3,000. St. John's
is one of the mission churches of St. Peter's parish, Wellsboro, and has been served
by the pastors of that church. A good Sunday-school is maintained, of which
Matthew Donlan is superintendent and Miss Sadie Wash assistant. The Polish
members of this church are served by Eev. Father Lopanski.

The Baptist Church of Antrim was organized February 20, 1873, with about
twenty members. Meetings were held in the school house until 1884 when a house
of worship costing $1,500 was erected. The first pastor, Eev. G-. P. Watrous, re-
mained one year, after which until 1881, when Eev. E. J. Thomas took charge, the
church was without a regular pastor. In 1883 he was succeeded by Eev. William
Young, who has continued to serve until the present time. He is also the pastor of
the church in Morris township. The church now numbers forty-six members.
There are sixty-one pupils in the Sunday-school, of which Ira N. Grinnell is the
superintendent.

The Swedish Baptist Church of Antrim was organized August 30, 1886, with
about fifteen members. Eev. Karl Molin, the first pastor, remained until 1890. In
1893 Eev. C. E. Duohon took charge, remaining one year. In 1894 the church dis-
banded, its members uniting with the English church.

The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Lebanon Church was organized ISTovember
6, 1879, and has now a membership of 300. A church building was erected in 1882,
and repaired and renovated in 1892. The property is now valued at $3,500.
The following named ministers have served as pastors of this church: Eevs. P. A.
Bergquist, 1881-82; A. Kinett, 1883-84; E. J. ISTordin, 1888-89; C. J. A. Holmgren,
1893-95, and Eev. A. J. Beausang, the present pastor, who took charge in 1896.

The Presbyterian Church of Antrim was organized September 24, 1887, with
twelve members by Eev. A. C. Shaw, D. D. The church worships in the building
originally used by the Congregational society, now no longer in existence. It has
been recently repaired and improved. Eev. E. Eawson preached for the society
during 1887. Eev. T. Gr. Jones, a Congregationalist minister, preached from
November, 1880, until November, 1890. Eev. David Craft, also pastor of the
church in Lawreneeville, took charge in 1891 and has continued up to the present.
This church now numbers thirty-three members, with a Sunday-school of thirty-five
pupils, of which James Pollock is the superintendent.

TILLAGES.

Brownlee Postoffice, or Summit, as the name of the station is called, is situated
near the northern line of the township. The postofiice was established here in
September, 1888. John Bradley, the first postmaster, held the office until June,
1889, when N. W. Hallock, the present incumbent, was appointed. The works of
the Antrim Sand Company are located here. This company was incorporated
March 21, 1888, for the purpose of manufacturing sand for glass making and for
use on locomotive engines, from sand rock. The incorporators were John W. Bailey,
president; Isaac P. Borden, vice-president; Eobert J. Borden, secretary and treasurer,
and Eobert Brownlee, superintendent. The product of t>e works is shipped to
Corning and other points.



CHAPTEE XLII.

TIOGA TOWNSHIP.

Organization — Reductions of Area — Physical Features — Streams — Popu-
lation—Pioneer Settlers — Early Enterprises — Schools and Justices-
Churches and Cemeteries— Villages and Postoffices.



IE" the year 1797 the territory now embraced within the limits of Tioga county,
then a part of Lycoming county, was erected into a township, named Tioga. The
act of the legislature of March 26, 1804, erected this township into a separate county,
consisting of one township, also named Tioga. The act of April 3, 1804, made the
township a separate election district, and provided that "the electors thereof shall
hold their elections at the house now occupied by Thomas Berry, in said township."
In 1805 the township of Delmar was organized, and was constituted a new election
district by an act of the legislature, approved April 11, 1807, which provided that
"the electors thereof shall hold their elections at the house of Joshua Emlin."
This division gave Delmar three-fifths of the territory of the county, on the west,



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 65 of 163)