Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 71 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 71 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


commercial metropolis of the county, was prostrate and has never recovered its
former prosperity.

It is said "misfortunes never come single." Lawrenceville was visited by
two very destructive fires just when every line of business was paralyzed. The first
occurred in 1867, and the other in 1868. These fires burned out the center and
business portion of the village, and destroyed property to the amount of $160,000.
The town has never recovered from this blow, the burnt district being still mostly
covered by cheap board structures. Although advantageously situated at the
junction of the Tioga and Cowanesque Valley railroads with the main line of the



LAWEENOE TOWNSHIP AND LAWEENOBTILLB. 535

Fall Brook, yet its population does not exceed 800 souls. One general store, two
groceries, a feed, and a notion store, two furniture stores, two blacksmith, and two
wagon and one carpenter shop, two markets, a drug store, three physicians, one
lawyer, two clergymen, two jewelers, two barbers, an undertaker and a shoemaker,
a newspaper, two justices and a hotel represent the principal business places of the
borough.

MANUFACTURING AND BUSINESS ENTEEPEISES.

Adam Hart, who settled at Somer's Lane, and who was a man of enterprise,
erected a distillery and a saw-mill on the little stream that still bears his name.
They were among the earliest in the county. In 1813 Hart was assessed as an
innkeeper. He removed to Mansfield in 1823. His brother, George Hart, appears
to have had an interest with him in these enterprises.

Joseph Middaugh, who married a daughter of George Hart, and lived near him,
was an early saw-mill owner and operator.

Lyman and Calvin Pritchard, who settled on the Cowanesque, on the farm
owned by the late William Pritchard, were joint owners in a saw-mill erected during
the earlier years of the present century.

Ira Kilburn, who settled in Lawrenceville in 1802, erected a few years
later, a saw-mill and a grist-mill, on almost the exact site of the present railroad
station. These he carried on for many years. He also erected a distillery a short
distance south of the station, which was operated by himself and Hiram Beebe.

John Maine, who settled between the farms of John Gordon and Benjamin
Westbrook, about 1803, built a saw-mill which he operated until September 2, 1816,
when he sold it to Jesse Smith and "William Babeoek, of Ontario county. New York.
James Ford, who located in Lawrenceville in 1816, and immediately engaged
in mercantile business, soon afterward erected a saw-mill and grist-mill on the north
side of the Cowanesque river, above the mill now owned and operated by Nathaniel
Eaton. The Ford grist-mill was burned and rebuilt several times and was owned
successively by James Ford, his son, C. H. L. Ford, Augustus Wolz and Nathaniel
Eaton, who has run the present mill about twelve years. It stands some dis-
tance below the site of the early mills, and is operated by water power.

The foregoing are the principal early enterprises. In 1823 there were in
Lawrenceville and in the township three grist-mills, five saw-mills, two distilleries,
one tannery, two blacksmith shops, one chairmaker and one cooper. During the
lumbering activity, which came later, the number of enterprises was largely in-
creased, and every branch of industry prospered.

The first store in Lawrenceville was started in 1815 by Hiram Beebe and a man
named HoUabert. Mr. Beebe, who attained prominence as a merchant and poli-
tician, continued in business until 1840, when he opened a store in Nelson in con-
nection with Hunt Pomeroy, father of the late Mark M. Pomeroy, otherwise known
as "Brick" Pomeroy, editor of the LaCrosse Democrat. The second store was opened
in 1816 by James Ford, who soon became the principal merchant of the place.
Others followed as the population of the village and township increased.

Adam Hart's wayside inn, at Somer's Lane, was the first public house in the
township. The first hotel in Lawrenceville was built about 1817 by Enos



536 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COITNIY.

Slosson. After Ms death, it was kept by Samuel Besler. Mrs. Slosson married
Eben McDougall, who kept the house for a number of years. Then came James
Baldwin, of Addison, and H. H. Potter. The latter removed to Tioga in 1833, and
was succeeded by Clark Slosson. This old hotel was burned in the fire of 1867. In
1826 John Barnes built a hotel on the site of the present Hotel Kirkland, which
he conducted until about 1835. Among his successors were S. B. Denton, Job Geer,
Barney McDougall, George Jordan and Lewis Daggett. It burned about twenty
years ago, and was rebuilt by Mr. Daggett. He and his sons, Seth and WeUs Dag-
gett, were the landlords to February, 1890, when the property was leased to F. G.
Kirkland, who purchased it January 1, 1894. He has proven a popular and suc-
cessful landlord.

PHYSICIANS AND LAWYEES.

Dr. Ealph Kilbum, a brother of Judge Ira Elbum, came to Lawrenceville in
1804, and practiced until 1840, when he went to live with a sister near Eochester,
Kew York, where he died. He was never married. Dr. Simeon Power first came
to Lawrenceville in 1805. He soon removed to Knoxville and later to Tioga, re-
turning to Lawrenceville in 1831, where he died in December, 1863. His brother.
Dr. Pliny Power, came a few years later. He practiced in Lawrenceville, Canoe
Camp and Tioga until 1835, when he removed to Michigan, where he died. Dr.
Curtis Parkhurst came to Lawrenceville in 1818, and practiced his profession until
his death. He was elected to the legislature in 1837 and sheriff in 1840. Dr. Lewis
Darling came from Wellsboro to Lawrenceville in 1831, and practiced in Lawrence-
ville until his death. His son. Dr. Lewis Darling, Jr., and grandson. Dr. A. L.
Darling, both physicians of skill and reputation, are in practice in Lawrenceville.
A fuller reference to each of them will be found in their biographical sketches. Dr.
Milton Pardee Orton located in Lawrenceville in 1834, and practiced until 1863,
when he became a surgeon in the United States service. He died at Hatteras Inlets
February 2, 1864. Locke Granger, a graduate of Geneva Medical College, came to
Lawrenceville in 1841, and for a time was a partner with Dr. Lewis Darling, Sr.,
but later practiced alone. He died in 1883. Dr. Yan Horn, a homeopathist, came
to Lawrenceville in the early seventies, but removed, a few years later, to Elmira,
New York. Dr. J. B. Smith came to Lawrenceville in 1890, and has built up a good
practice. He and Drs. Lewis and A. L. Darling comprise the present resident
physicians.

The legal profession has been well represented in Lawrenceville. Hon. Ira
Kilbum, though not in regular practice, served for many years as an associate Judge
and as justice of the peace, and was prominently identified with the legal history
of the county. Clarendon Eathbone came to Lawrenceville in 1830, and practiced
about twenty years, when he removed to Blossburg. John "W. Maynard, who came to
Lawrenceville with his parents in 1838, practiced here until the spring of 1833,
when he removed to Tioga. JSTewell F. Higgins, who located in Lawrenceville about
1839, remained two years and removed to Williamsport. Norman H. Purple studied
under Higgins, and practiced in Lawrenceville until 1837, when he removed to
Peoria, Illinois. Pardon Damon came to Lawrenceville about 1826, studied law with
Purple and Judge Knox, and practiced in Lawrenceville until his death. John C.



LAWEBNCE TOWNSHIP AND LAWEENOBVILLE. 537

Knox, afterwards eminent as a judge of the State Supreme Court, practiced in Lawr
reueeville in the later thirties and early forties. John W. Eyon, a native of Elk-
land, came to Lawreneeville in 1847, and practiced until 1863, when he removed
to Pottsville. Wallace P. Ryon, a brother of Hon. John W. Eyon, has been in
practice in Lawreneeville since 1883. D. C. Harrower, a son of Hon. G. T. Harrower,
was admitted to the bar of Tioga county and practiced in Lawreneeville until 1894,
when he removed to Wilkes-Barre.

NEWSPAPEES.

In August, 1840, the late William Adams, of Mansfield, then the editor and
proprietor of the Tioga Democrat, published at Tioga, sold a half interest in the
paper to John C. Knox, Hiram Beebe, James Ford and Dr. Curtis Parkhurst, of
Lawreneeville, who removed the plant and paper to that place, and changed the name
of the paper to the Lawrence Sentinel. Mr. Adams subsequently sold his re-
maining interest to Mr. Knox. Two years later the latter sold it to Asa H. Carey,
who removed it, so it is said, to Troy, Pennsylvania. The Sentinel was Democratic
in politics. Lawreneeville was without a paper then until 1871, when Henry C.
Mills established the Valley Enterprise. A year or two later he removed the plant to
Mansfield. Li 1879 the Lawreneeville Herald was established by A. Redfield & Son,
who conducted it until 1889, when it passed into the hands of Dr. Lewis Darling, Jr.
Early in 1890 he sold it to Wallace P. Ryon. On February 1, 1892, Leon A. Church
became associated with Mr. Ryon in the publication of the Herald, which relation-
ship still continues. The paper is well conducted, has a good circulation, and is de-
voted principally to matters of local interest.

SCHOOLS.

From the first, as might have been expected from their New England origin,
the people of Lawrence were careful to provide for the education of their children.
As early and probably before 1800, there was a school at Hart's and one at
Pritchard's. At the latter place Lyman Pritehard taught for several winters. Later
another school house was built near the farm now owned by Norman H. Ryan, and
in 1834 one was erected at Tompkins. On the Tioga the first school house was
built near Reep's, which was abandoned and another put up at Somer's Lane
(Hart's). These were log structures, built by the people who lived in the vicinity,
and rudely finished and furnished. The Hart school house was burned one night
during a term of school. The next day the inhabitants came together and before
night the logs for another house were put up. There was not a box of glass to be had
nearer than Painted Post, but Mr. Baldwin went up on horse back and brought a
box, and another neighbor gathered grain sufficient to purchase books, which
was also taken to Painted Post, and every school book in the place was secured.
In a week from the time the old house was burned the new one was completed,
and the school continued. In 1834 school directors were elected under the com-
mon school law of the State, as follows: William TJpdegraff, Clarendon Rath-
bone, Horace Prizelle, Abisha Baker, Job Geer and Rufus Baldwin. Job Geer
was elected president; C. Rathbone, secretary, and Wells Kilbum, appointed
treasurer. The township was divided into five sub-districts, two on the Cowanesque,



538 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTT.

two on the Tioga, and one at Lawrenceville. There are now seven districts in
the township, outside of Lawrenceville, which forms a separate district. The
school houses are well built and well furnished, and good schools are maintained,
the average in the borough being eight, and in the township seven months each
year.

The Lawrenceville Academy was incorporated September 31, 1848. The first
board of trustees was constituted as follows: James Ford, Curtis Parkhurst, E.
D. Wells, Milton P. Orton and Micajah Seelye. A building was erected and
was opened for the reception of students — both sexes being admitted — about
1853. George Barker, the first principal, remained about two years. His suc-
cessor, Thomas Benton, had charge two years. Eev. Roswell Brooks, who fol-
lowed him, died within a year, and his wife succeeded him. Then came William
Merris, who died within two years after taking charge. His successors were Dr.
Milton Pardee Orton aaid Eev. Sidney Mills. The Academy was maintained until
about 1860, when the property was transferred to the borough for public school
purposes, and the building has since been used and occupied by the borough
graded schools. Dr. Lewis Darling, Jr., who was a student at the Academy, says
it was an excellent school, and that it was largely attended, students coming from
the "Southern Tier," of New York, and from various parts of Pennsylvania.
The course of study was intended to prepare the student for college, and the in-
struction was thorough.

CHUBOHES, SABBATH-SCHOOLS AND CEMETEBIES.

The Baptists were probably the earliest to hold religious worship in Law-
rence. Elder John Drew, whose wife was a sister of Eleazer Baldwin, came
from Norwich, Connecticut, about the same time as Baldwin, raised a family and
remained here until his death. Elder David Eathbone — a graduate of Yale Col-
lege, where he had taken a master's degree, and a man of great ability — came
about 1813. He ministered to the little companies gathered at various points,
until August 33, 1833, when he was instantly killed by the overturning of his
carriage. He was at the time about sixty years of age. Both he and Mr. Drew
are buried in the old cemetery west of the village. He was followed by Elder
Thomas S. Sheardown, Elisha Booth and others. A church was organized in
1813, across the line in Tioga township^ at the home of Benjamin Bentley, of
which many of the Baptists, resident in Lawrence township, became members.
No church appears to have been organized in Lawrence township, or if organized,
to have had anything but a brief existence.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Lawrenceville is one of the oldest societies
of that denomination in the county. The first public worship was held soon after
the beginning of the present century. The "circuit rider," who made occasional
visits, and resident local preachers conducted the services, which, when the weather
permitted, were usually held in the open air. In winter and in inclement weather
they were held in the homes and in the barns of the settlers. Among the pioneers
of Lawrence township — ^who occasionally conducted these early services — ^was a
local preacher named Ephraim Thomas. He was also a carpenter and farmer. He
was born in Ireland in 1788; came to America in 1805, and found his way into



LAWBENOE TOWNSHIP AND LAWEENCEVILLE. 539



Lawrence township, where he passed the remainder of his life, and died in Sep-
tember, 1853. The date of the organization of the first class is not known, but it
is said to have been some time during the early twenties. The first house of worship
was of brick. It was begun in 1831 or 1833; was completed in 1836, and was built
on land donated by Ira Kilburn, situated at the head of old Mechanic street. It was
sold and torn down, and the land reverted to the heirs of Kilburn, who donated
it to the borough for the extension of Mechanic street. In 1849 another building
was erected on the comer opposite A. P. Eadaker's. This was burned in December,
1888, and the present edifice built in 1889.

Owing to the fact that, previous to 1858, the records of the church were very
imperfectly kept, a complete list of the pastors is not obtainable. From a broken
file of the conference minutes and from other sources, the following list has been
compiled: Eev. Lemuel Maynard, a circuit preacher, and the father of the late
Judge John W. Maynard, of Williamsport, was here as early as 1838. He was born
May 10, 1773; died February 8, 1839, and lies buried in the Lawrenceville cemetery.
Eev. Asa Orcutt was the pastor of the church in Tioga in 1839-30. As Lawrence-
ville ajid Tioga were both in the same charge until 1873, the same pastors served
both churches. Eev. Chandler "Wheeler was the pastor in 1833, an.d Eev. Hiram
Sanford in 1835. The name of Eev. Samuel Nichols appears from 1844 to 1846.
_ In 1857 Eev. Daniel Clark was in charge, since which time the succession has been
' as follows: Eevs. Samuel Nichols, 1858-60; N. N. Beers, 1860-61; William B.
Holt, 1861-63; George Stratton, 1863-63; William Potter, 1863-64; Thomas S.
Abrahams, 1864-66; N. Fellows, 1866-67; J. J. Turtin, 1867-70; W. S. Kymer,
1870-71; William Cochran, 1871-73; G. W. Gibson, 1873-75; Paul Smith, 1875-78;
W. W. Hunt, 1878-80; N. N. Beers, 1880-81; Andrew Purdy, 1881-84; Ward
Piatt, 1884-86; Henry Vosburgh, 1886-89; F. H. Van Keuren, 1889-91; C. M.
Gardner, 1891-93; G. Wilbur Shipley, 1893-95; E. A. Anderson, 1895-96, and E. E.
Jones, the present incumbent, who took charge in October, 1896. The church now
numbers seventy-two members. There are 100 pupils and teachers in the Sunday-
school, and sixty-eight members in the Epworth League.

The First Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville, the oldest Presbyterian church
in the county, was organized February 10, 1834, by Eevs. David Higgins, of Bath,
New York; Henry Ford, of Blmira; New York, and Euling Elder Elias Hopkins,
a committee appointed by the Presbytery of Bath. The following are the names
of the original members as they appear upon the church record: Joseph Miller,
Linda Mira, his wife; Abisha Baker, Martha, his wife; Nancy (wife of Eev. Davis)
Eathbone, Phila (wife of Calvin) Cowley, Polly (wife of Samuel) McDougall,
Betsey Wilson, Jerusha L. (wife of Michael E.) Tharp, Widow Eoxcelana Brown,
Mary (wife of Joseph) Nelson, Eunice (wife of Eleazer) Lindsley, and Eleanor (wife
of Job) Geer. Eev. Simeon E. Jones and others supplied the pulpit until 1831,
when Eev. Elijah D. Wells became the pastor, and continued, excepting one year,
until 1843. Mr. Wells was born in New York City, September 39, 1800; died in
Lawrenceville, February 11, 1883, and was buried in the Lawrenceville cemetery.
Eev. Samuel J. McCullough, who served as pastor from 1843 to 1847, and was for
thirty years a minister of the Gospel, was bom in Dickinson, Cumberland county.



540 HISTORY OS TIOGA COUNTY.

PennsylTania. He was a graduate of Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania;
■was deeply learned in theology, and was a sincere and devoted man in his profession.
He died at Tioga, December 19, 1867, aged fifty-eight ^ears, and lies buried in the
cemetery at Liadley, New york. Eev. Mr. Hood, who was the pastor from 1847 to
1849, was followed by Eev. Sidney Mills, who had charge from 1849 to 1854, and
also taught for a few years in the Lawrenceville Academy. He was bom March
30, 1779, and died at LawrencevUle, March 13, 1875. His remains were buried in
the Lawrenceville cemetery. Eev. Albert Henry Barnes was the pastor from 1854
to 1860, and Eev. Oetavius Fitch from 1861 to 1863. Mr. Pitch was a faithful and
earnest minister. He died February 24, 1869, and lies buried in the Lawrenceville
cemetery. Eev. Elijah D. "Wells and others supplied the pulpit from 1864 to 1869,
since which time the pastors have been as follows: Eevs. Walter S. Drysdale, 1870;
Mr. Cooper, 1871; Henry P. Baker, 1871-73; John B. Grier, D. D., 1873-77;
Henry T. Scholl, 1882-85; W. Tussing, 1886; W. A. Dunning, 1887; A. C. Eeed,
1888; J. Addison T\Tiittaker, 1888-89; James I. Campbell, 1889-90, and David Craft,
the present pastor, who came in 1891, and who also has charge of the church at
Antrim.

In 1831-32 the present church edifice was erected on ground donated by James
Ford. The heavy timbers used in the building were donated by Dr. Simeon Power.
The exterior of this church — the oldest house of worship in the county — is a perfect
model of Doric architecture. The interior was remodeled a few years since, and is
neat and comfortable.

In 1840 the society was incorporated under the name of the "Presbyterian
Congregation of Lawrenceville." There were thirty incorporators, including the
following trustees: Erastus Butts, Joel Adams, Micajaii Seelye, James Ford and
Samuel Eockwell. In 1860, on account of dissensions, a portion of the member-
ship withdrew and the Second Presbyterian church of Lawrenceville was organized
by a committee of the Presbytery of Susquehanna. Eev. Lyell T. Adams was em-
ployed as pastor until 1866. His successor, Eev. John Garretson, supplied the pulpit
until 1870, when the two factions were again united. The church now numbers
seventy members. There are sixty-five pupils and teachers in the Sunday-school,
of which WilUam S. Smith is the superintendent.

St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church was organized in 1860 under the rector-
ship of Eev. J. Hobart De Mille. As early as 1841, Eev. Charles Breck, the pioneer
minister of the denomination in the county, held services here. His successors have
been the rectors of St. Andrew's church, at Tioga, who also administered to this
congregation up to 1893, since which time there has been no stated rector. The
present church edifice was built in 1873, by the Society for the Advancement of
Christianity in Pennsylvania. Previous to its erection the congregation worshiped
in a hall.

The Christian Church was organized a number of years ago in the eastern part
of the township. A neat and substantial house of worship was erected in which the
congregation worship. A good Sunday-school is also maintained.

SaVbath-Schools were early organized. Joseph Nelson, a Scotch Presbyterian
seceder, who came from St. Lawrence county, New York, about 1815, and settled



LAWRENCE TOWNSHIP AND LAWEENOEVILLB. 541

near Henry Colgrove's place, was an early Sabbath-school worker and used to
gather the children of the neighborhood in his house for religious instruction. De-
nominational Sabbath-schools were held in the churches of the borough, and a
union undenominational Sunday-school was organized by Samuel Eockwell at
Middaugh's in 1850. Mr. Rockwell is a ruling elder in the Presbyterian church
of LawrenceYille.

Cemeteries. — When the township was first settled the pioneers buried their
dead near their homes in order to protect their graves from wild animals. In the
early thirties the present cemetery west of Lawreneeville was set apart for burial
purposes. It is in charge of the LawrenccTille Cemetery Association, incorporated
September 23, 1876. The East Lawrence Cemetery Association, incorporated
May 10, 1881, own and control a cemetery in the township, about three miles
southeast of Lawreneeville.

JUSTICES AND BUEGESSES.

The ofl&ce of justice of the peace for Lawrence township has been filled as fol-
lows: Elijah Putnam, 1813; Ambrose Millard, 1816; John Drew, 1818; Elijah
De Pui and Samuel McDougall, 1819; Job Geer and Levi Vail, 1835; William
Willard, Jr., and Eeuben Cloos, 1827; Jonah Brewster, 1830; William Garretson
and Martin Bowen, 1831; Samuel Snow, 1832; Horace E. Spencer and Horace
Frizelle, 1883; A. M. Compton, 1834; Calvin Cowley, 1835; Erastus W. Derow,
Lewis Meade and J. C. Whittaker, 1836; Curtis Parkhurst and Lyman Johnson,
1838; William Evans, 1841; Austin Lathrop, 1842; re-elected, 1847 and 1852;
Samuel Broakman, 1847, and Dwight E. Cowley, 1856. Although the election
returns show that candidates for justices of the peace were regularly voted for, the
record of commissions contains no name of any who qualified from 1856 to 1873,
in which year Peter Eeep was commissioned. The names of the succeeding justices
are as follows: Isaac Losey, 1874; Peter Eeep, 1878, re-elected 1883 and 1887;
Sylvester Shoemaker, 1880; re-elected, 1885; J. B. Squires, 1884; George Eeep,
1890; WilHs F. Eeep, 1895.

The following named persons have served as justices of the borough of Law-
reneeville: Lewis Meade and Ira Kilbum, 1840; Job Geer and Locke Granger,
1844; re-elected, 1850; Curtis Parkhurst, 1845; Edward E. Kasson, 1848; Samuel
B. Brooks, 1849; E. D. Wells, 1854; re-elected, 1859 and 1864; James Eyon, 1855;
Pardon Damon, 1857; re-elected, 1862, 1867 and 1872; J. H. Mather, 1867; re-
elected, 1872 and 1877; Augustus Eedfleld, 1875; George T. Losey, 1877; re-
elected, 1887 and 1896; George McCullough, 1881; James Stewart, 1886; re-
elected, 1891; D. C. Ford, 1890; Wallace P. Eyon, 1894.

The burgesses of the borough of Lawreneeville have been elected as follows:
Job Geer, 1831-32; Ira Kilbum, 1833-34; Micajah Seelye, 1835; Horace Frizelle,
1836; Lewis Meade, 1837-38; Isaac C. Whitehead, 1839; Samuel Satterlee, 1840;
Wells Kilbum, 1841; Dr. Lewis Darling, Sr., 1842; James Ford, 1843; Samuel
Satterlee, 1844-45; Eobert Inscho, 1846; Samuel Kinsey, 1847-48; Pardon Damon,
1849; Alexander Cropsey, 1850-51; A. C. Coopley, 1852; John Eyon, 1853; I.
W. Tubbs, 1854-55; Pardon Damon, 1856; W. F. Trowbridge, 1857-60; W. G.
Miller, 1861; Alexander Cropsey, 1862-67; Pardon Damon, 1868-69; J. F. Eusling,



542 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

1870-73; Locke Granger, 1874-75; N. Lossy, 1876; Alexander Cropsey, 1877; C.
S. Mather, 1878-79; D. C. Ford, 1880; J. C. Beeman, 1881-83; J. P. Eusling, 1884;
Alexander Cropsey, 1885; J. P. Eusling, 1886; P. L. Kolb, 1887; C. S. Mather,
1888; James ¥. Hill, 1889; J. P. Eusling, 1890; K. Losey, 1891; Myron Losey,



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 71 of 163)