Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 72 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 72 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1892; J. N. Hill, 1893; George B. Colby, 1894, and Dr. Lewis Darling, 1897.

SOCIETIES.

Lawrenceville Lodge, No. 913, I. 0. 0. F., was organized July 14, 1875. The
first officers were as follows: George T. Losey, K". G.; Seth 0. Daggett, V. G.; Dr.
Lewis Darling, Jr., S., and J. Phippen, T.

Lawrenceville Encampment, No. 98, 1. 0. 0. F., was organized in 1878, with
the following officers: C. H. Tremaine, C. P.; George T. Losey, H. P.; Lewis Dag-
gett, S. W.; C. S. Mather, J. W.; N". Losey, S., and W. H. Baxter, T.

Capt. Phil Holland Post, No. 357, G. A. R., was organized July 16, 1863, the
first officers being as follows: James A. Eodgers, C; James Loughridge, S. V. C;
E. C. Eockwell, J. V. C; J. C. Beeman, Q. M.; George Odell, S.; H. A. Stratton,
C; S. M. Morgan, 0. D.; H. B. Colgrove, 0. G.; H. T. Caton, A.; L. G. Brant,
S. M., and L. M. Smith, Q. M. S.

HOBACETOWN.

In 1839 Horace Prizelle was rimning the Kilburn mills and quite a number of
the families in his employ were living on the east side of the Tioga. Thinking it
to be adTantageous to be incorporated into a borough, an act of the legislature, ap-
proved February 19, 1840, was passed, providing for the erection of the "Borough
of Horaeetown," including the territory bounded north by the State line, on the
east by Ansel Bascom's east line, on the south by Obadiah Inscho's north line, and
on the west by the west bank of the Tioga river at low water mark. Other sections
provide for the election of borough officers and prescribe their duties. The records
of the borough are lost and its very existence forgotten by most, even of the old people.
The assessment of 1841 gives twenty-seven taxables, of whom fourteen at least were
transient persons. The borough organization was soon abandoned and the territory
lapsed into the township.



CHAPTER XLY.

JACKSON TOWNSHIP.

Oeganization— Origin op Name— Original Area— Present Boundaries— Phys-
ical Features— Streams— Altitude— Population— Pioneer Settlement-
Early Milling Enterprises— Schools— Physicians, Lawyers and Justices
—Churches and Cemeteries— Societies— Villages and Postofpices.



JACKSON" township was created in September, 1815, from territory preyiously
embraced in Tioga township, and was named in honor of Andrew Jackson,
the hero of the battle of New Orleans, and subsequently president of the
IJnited States. As originally constituted it embraced about one-half of
the present township of Eutland, which was created in 1838. It is the
northeastern township of the countj^, add is bounded on the north by New York
state, on the east by Bradford county, on the south by Eutland township, and on
the west by Tioga and Lawrence townships. It is nearly square, averaging about
seven miles and a quarter from east to west by six and a quarter from north to south,
and contains about forty-five square miles. The surface is rugged, the hills in
some places being steep and high. The soil is fairly fertile, the upland as well as
valley area being well cultivated and productive. The principal streams are Seely
and Hammond creeks. The former drains the southeastern part of the township,
flowing northeast through Job's Comers and Daggetts, and passing into Bradford
county about a mile and a half southeast of Millerton. Hammond creek rises in
the southern part of the township, and flows almost due north to Trowbridge. Here
it turns and pursues a northeast course through Millerton to the Bradford county
line, about a mile south of the New York state line. Alder brook, a branch of
Hammond creek, flows southeast, and drains the northwestern part of the town-
ship. Bear creek, another branch, flows from the south and drains a portion of
the eastern part of the township. Holiday run, which rises southeast of Maple
Eidge, and flows northwest into Tioga and Lawrence townships, drains the south-
western part of the township. The mean elevation above tidewater is about 1,600
feet.

The settlement of the township began in 1793, and it has grown steadily and
healthfully. In.l840 it had 1,123 inhabitants; in 1870, 1,531; in 1880, 1,824, and
in 1890, 1,704.

PIONEER SETTLEMENT.

Garret Miller was the pioneer settler of the township. He came from Orange
county, New York, and the date of his coming is fixed by the following inscription
upon the tombstone which marks the grave of his son, Capt. Samuel Miller, in the
cemetery at Millerton:



g^^ HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Capt. Samuel Miller.

Pioneer of this Town.

Resided here for 57 years.

Died September 16, 1850.

Aged 71 years, 4 months.

The Napoleon of hunters ; the kind, affectionate relative and the generous friend.

According to this inscription Garret Miller and his family came into the town-
ship as early as 1793. A clearing was first made north of Millerton, near the New
York state line, but they soon afterward moved down into the valley and settled
permanently on Hammond creek, on the site of Millerton. The names of Garret
Miller and Samuel Miller appear in the census returns of the county for 1800, the
age of the former being given as forty-two and that of the latter as twenty-two.
The township at the time of their settlement was a trackless wilderness, and they
were compelled to cut a road through the forest from Newtown — now Blmira —
to their new home. They belonged to a hardy and vigorous stock, and their descend-
ants are among the leading citizens and business men of the township.

The next settlement was made in 1797 by Eeuben Daggett, who brought his
family from his native state — New Hampshire — and settled on Seely creek, near
the Bradford county line, in the southeastern part of the township. The place is
still known as Daggett's Mills. Here he and his sons, Eufus, Eeuben and Seth,
erected the first grist-mill and the first saw-mill in the township.

In 1812 the following named persons were residents of the township: Enos
Curtis, who settled in the eastern part; Jonathan Corey, Sr., Jonathan Corey, Jr.,
Hiram Corey and John Corey, near Jackson Summit; Eeuben Daggett, Jr., Eufus
Daggett and Seth Daggett, who settled at Daggett's Mills; Daniel Lafferty, who
settled at Job's Corners; Garret Miller, Sr., Samuel Miller, Garret Miller, Jr., and
Joshua Miller, who settled at Millerton; David Nichols, who settled at Maple Eidge;
James and Jesse Seely, who settled on Seely creek, and Andrew Sharp. David
and Clement Paine were also in the township in 1813.

The foregoing were the pioneer families of the township. After 1813 Jackson
settled rapidly, the assessment list of 1816 showing forty taxables. In 1818 the
number had increased to fifty-nine. Owing to the entire township being heavily
timbered with pine, its lands were cleared slowly, the settlers preferring to await
the advent of saw-mills to convert the forests into lumber. These soon came and
lumbering became, and for half a century remained, the leading industry of the
township.

EAELT MILLING ENTERPRISES.

Jackson township early became the scene of important and extensive lumbering
operations. Prom 1815 until after 1850 the work of converting its immense forests
of pine into lumber was pushed forward with all the vigor and energy at the com-
mand of those who had their capital invested in mills and in timber lands. Before
the advent of the railroad into the township, logs and lumber were hauled to Elmira.
In the early days these were rafted down the Chemung river and the North Branch
of the Susquehanna to Philadelphia and other lumber markets. Saw-mills were
niimerous and changes of ownership frequent, showing that the business, while
promising large profits, often involved those who engaged in it in serious loss. As





:^^



£/^€^



JACKSON TOWNSHIP. 545



the timber disappeared the mills shut down, until now there is only one of the old
mills— the Mitchell mill, on Alder brook— in operation.

The pioneer grist-mill in the township was the Daggett mill, erected on Seely
creek, about a mile below the present village of Daggetts. It first appears on the
assessment list in 1817, and is assessed to Eeuben Daggett, Jr. It was a water-mill,
and was operated until 1830 by Eeuben Daggett, Jr., from which time until his
death in 1835 it was carried on by Kufus Daggett. His widow, Hannah Daggett,
retained control of the property until 1849, when it passed into the possession of
William Daggett. He rebuilt and operated it until 1853, when the firm became
Daggett & Sixbee, who ran it for a number of years. The mill is now the property
of George W. Eighmey. It has three run of stone and the roller process, and has
a capacity of 200 barrels of flour a day. Steam and water power are both used.
About 1843 James Miller erected a water-power grist-mill on Hammond creek at
Millerton. In 1845 and 1846 it was operated by Strock & Buchanan. It was after-
ward carried on by Mr. Miller for a number of years.

The first saw-mill in the township appears on the assessment list of 1817,
assessed to Seth Daggett, for many years a prominent and leading lumberman. He
operated this and other mills until 1843, when he removed to Tioga. This is the
only saw-mill appearing on the assessment list of the township until 1831, when the
names of Seth Daggett, Ezra Houghton, James Miller, Joshua G. Spencer and
Foster Updyke are given as owners of saw-mills. All these mills, except that of
James Miller, which was at Millerton, appear to have been in operation on Seely
creek. The Foster Updyke mill was between Daggett's Mills and Job's Corners, and
was operated by him until his death about 1847. It then became the property of
Warren Wells, and afterward had other owners. In 1833 Boynton & Dalrymple
began operations in the township and had three mills on Hammond creek. In 1834
they were operating five mills in various parts of the township. The hard times of
1837 appear to have caught them, as after that year their names are not on the
assessment list. The mill established by James Miller at Millerton appears to have
been conducted successfuUyfor a number of years. Among the other early mill owners
and operators were Aaron Gaylord, Thomas & Sayre, Irvin Clark, Norman Wells, A. C.
Bush, William S. Valleau, Henry Johnston, Eichard Jones, Jedediah and Thomas
Luce, Amos Kelly, Eichard Updyke, George Weybom, Abraham Minear, John Mit-
chell, Nathan Boynton, Clark Stilwell, Samuel Buchanan, William B. Keyes, S. L.
Parmeter, Thomas Shear, Oliver B. Cook, Aaron Chidister, Samuel Eexford, who
erected the first steam saw-mill in the township in 1846, and who at one time owned
six mills; William E. Sherford and Albert Mitchell. The only mill now in opera-
tion, except portable mills, is the Mitchell on Alder brook, established in 1835, and
now owned by George Mitchell.

A tannery was established in 1831 at Daggett's Mills by John G. Hubbell.
In 1838 Hiram B. Eoberts became proprietor. He died in 1843, and his widow,
Phoebe Eoberts, carried on the enterprise until 1844, when Seth Eoberts took
charge and operated it until 1849.

SCHOOLS.

A log school house was erected at Daggett's Mills about 1830. Here Miller
Vaughan, who came into the township as early as 1817, taught. Among the other



546 HISTOHT OP TIOGA COUNTY.

early teachers were Bethuel Goff, Daniel Leonard and Jane Buchanan. The early
schools were supported by subscription. After the adoption of the public school
law of 1835, the township was sub-divided into school districts and substantial
school buildings erected. The township has now fourteen schools in which in-
struction in the English branches is given on an average of eight months in the
year. Capable and efRcient teachers are employed and good wages paid.

PHYSICIANS, LAWYEHS AND JUSTICES.

As early as 1823, and for several years thereafter, Dr. Ezra Wood, an early
settler in Eutland township, practiced in that and Jackson townships. Hiram B.
Eoberts, who came into Jackson township about 1830, and settled at Daggett's
Mills, was the first resident physician. He appears to have practiced but a short
time, and to have devoted himself to other enterprises rather than to medicine. Dr.
Lewis Darling, an early resident physician of Lawrenceville, extended his practice
into this township. Ealph D. Shepherd practiced from 1841 to 1843 at Daggett's
Mills. D. ISr. Hunt practiced in the township from 1845 to 1850. Dr. Nathaniel
Smith, who is still in active practice, located in Millerton in 1847. Erastus D.
Yule came into the township in 1853 and practiced several years. Charles Voor-
hees located at Daggett's Mills in 1856, and practiced there until his death, when
he was succeeded by his son, Sherman Voorhees, who is still in practice. Prank
Smith, a son of Dr. Nathaniel Smith, has been in practice in Millerton since 1871.

Samuel E. Kirkendall, the only lawyer in the township, has been in practice
in Millerton since 1873.

The following named persons have served as justices of the peace of the town-
ship: Seth Daggett, 1824; Hosea Howland, 1829; Theodore Larrison, 1832; Clark
Stilwell, 1836; Charles Tillinghast, 1840; Allen Gibson, 1840; Joshua G. Spencer,
1841; John W. Stowell, 1845; re-elected, 1850; Malachi Murdough, 1846; Wil-
liam B. Keyes, 1851; Nathaniel Smith, 1855; re-elected, 1865; Orrin D. Bly,
1855; re-elected, 1864, 1873, 1879; 0. B. Wells, 1860; Hector L. Miller, 1860;
M. K. Eetan, 1868; D. B. Lain, 1870; E. C. Stilwell, 1875; re-elected, 1880; L.
C. Eetan, 1880; re-elected, 1885, 1890; W. G. Shieve, 1885; C. H. Shieve, 1889;
re-elected, 1894; John E. Barnes, 1894; J. D. Garrison, 1895.

CHUEOHES AND CEMETEKIES.

The First Jackson Baptist Church was organized in 1841. '/he names of the
early members are as follows: E. T. Wood, Jacob Bryan, A. B. Bryan, Chester
TJpdyke, Stephen Wood, A. G. Garrison, W. S. Mclntyre, Johnson Brewer, William
Garrison, Eeuben Updyke, Elijah Moore, John Sedinger, Samuel Grinnell, Albert
Shorter, D. B. Harvey, S. IFpdyke, Spencer Wood, Jedediah Eice and wife, Myron
Mills, Hiram B. Bryan, Sai-ah Updyke, Samantha Brewer, Harriet Garrison, Mercy
Spencer, Eachel Parmeter, Fanny Crandall, Emeline Johnson, Polly Wood, Olive
Osgood, Emeline Baker, Ann Bryan, Elizabeth Moore, Sarah Parmeter, Harriet
Updyke, Phebe A. Updyke, Nancy J. Webster, Louisa Shieve, Mercy Grinnell, Mary
Eoe, Mary Ann Johnson, Harriet Van Hart, Phoebe A. Wells and Angeline Shep-
herd. Meetings were held in Poster Updyke's house until 1847. The first pastor,
Eev. Samuel Grinnell, served ten years. His successor, Eev. Myron Eockwell,



JACKSOK TOWNSHIP. 547



served until 1854, since which the church has had the following pastors: Eevs. C.
Beebe, 1855; Samuel Grinnell, 1856; C. Beebe, 1857-58; L. Stone, 1860-63; M.
Eoekwell, 1864-68; M. Eockwell, 1870; Levi Stone, 1872; C. H. Growl, 1873; M.
Eockwell, 1875-77; L. D. Ayers, 1880; C. B. Smith, 1884; E. D. Hays, 1885-86;
J. A. Klucker, 1889; G. P. Watrous, 1891-93; P. Wilson, 1894; M. H. Dunham,
1895; W. H. Porter, 1896. The present church building was erected at Job's
Corners about 1870. The church now has twenty-eight members. There are fifty-
five teachers and pupils in the Sunday-school, of which J. E. Sedinger is the superin-
tendent.

The Wesi Jackson Baptist Church was organized November 4, 1841. The fol-
lowing named persons constituted the original membership: Sanniel Bullock, Dean
Hudson, James Friends, Horatio Bisbee, Augustus Bisbee, Sylvanus Hudson, George
Friends, Polly Friends, Lucinda Beeman, Elizabeth M. L. BuJlock, Hannah Hudson
and Jane Hudson. At the tijne the church was organized Samuel Bullock was
ordained a miaister and became the first pastor, remaining until August 37, 1843.
His successors have been Eevs. Stephen Tobey, 1843-46; Samuel Grinnell, 1847-48;
Stephen Tobey, 1849-53; Samuel Grinnell, 1855; Stephen Tobey, 1857; D. P.
Maryott, 1858; W. B. Jones, 1859; E. A. Hadley, 1860; L. Stone, 1861-65; M.
Eoekwell, 1866-71; F. Purvis, 1875; C. P. Mott, 1877; L. D. Ayers, 1879-81; S.
W. Cole, 1883-83; C. B. Smith, 1884; E. D. Hays, 1887-88; G. P. Watrous, 1893-93;
M. H. Dunham, 1895; W. H. Porter, 1896. In 1876 a frame church building was
erected at a cost of $1,600. Previous to its erection the society worshiped in the
Mann school house. The church is situated on the Alder brook road, near the
residence of S. E. Friends. The society now numbers thirty-eight members. There
are sixty teachers and pupils in the Sunday-school, of which Jay Friends is the
superintendent.

Jackson Summit Baptist Church was organized in the spring of 1884, with L.
E. Sheldon, Helen N. Sheldon, W. L. Hazen, Mrs. W. L. Hazen, P. F. Wilson, Susan
Wilson, Jay Wilson, Minnie Hazen, Fannie Hazen, Grant Whipple, K T. Davis,
Edgar Crumb, Emma Crumb, Lot Morrill and Emma Walker. The names of the
pastors of this church are as follows: Eevs. C. B. Smith, 1884; L. D. Ayres, 1885;
A. Ward, 1886; G. P. Watrous, 1893-93; M. H. Dunham, 1895; W. H. Porter, 1896.
This society built a neat frame house of worship, costing $750, in 1893. There are
forty-four members connected with this church; also two Sunday-schools, one at
Jackson Summit and one at the Thomas school house, with a total membership of
115 teachers and pupils.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Millerton was ' organized in 1848, by Eev.
William M. Haskell, with the following members: Hezekiah Dunham, Anna Dunham,
Hector L. Miller, Polly Kelley, Elizabeth Kelley, George Miller, Hannah Miller,
George Prutsman and Betsy Prutsman. The first pastor was Eev. William M.
Haskell. His successors have been: Eevs. Harvey Lamkin, W. H. Knapp, Thomas
J. 0. Wooden, Mr. Coolbaugh, Mr. Ford, John Alabaster, A. J. Blanchard, A. Ensign,
N. B. Congdon, H. B. Troxell, Paul Smith, E. C. White, Henry Meeker, J. C.
Crowther, Charles L. Shergus and W. W. Hunt, the present pastor, who took charge
in October, 1896. A frame church building was erected in 1851-53, during the
pastorate of Eev. W. H. Knapp, and a parsonage during the pastorate of Eev. A. J.



548 HISTOET OF TIOGA COTJNTT.

Blanchard. There are now eighty members in this church. In the Sunday-school
there are 100 teachers and pupils. The superintendent is S. J. Kirkendall. Walter
Messing is president of the Epworth League. The church at Jackson Center and
the class at Kelley Hill are in this charge. The members of a Methodist Episcopal
church which formerly existed at Mitchell's Mills joined with this church a few years
ago, the society at Mitchell's Mills going out of existence.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Daggetfs Mills was organized nearly fifty
years ago, and a house of worship, costing $1,500, built in 1854. It has belonged to
the Genesee and Troy conferences at difEerent times, and is at present in the latter
conference. It has, during recent years, been served by pastors assigned to neighbor-
ing churches in Bradford county. The present pastor is Eev. S. W. Eaton.

The Methodist Church of Jackson Center is the outgrowth of a class organized
there over thirty years ago. A house of worship was erected in 1871. This church
now numbers 110 members and maintains a good Sunday-school. It is in the Mil-
lerton charge and has been served by the pastors of the Millerton church.

Cemeteries, in which repose the remains of the pioneer settlers of Jackson, are
to be found at Millerton, Daggetts, Job's Corners, Mitchell's Mills, Jackson Center
and other places in the township. Those at Millerton, Daggetts, Job's Comers
and Mitchell's Mills are large, well laid out and well cared for. In the cemetery at
Millerton lie the remains of Garret Miller and his wife, his son, Capt. Samuel Miller,
and other members of this pioneer family. The Curren cemetery, in the northern
part of the township, is also another old burying ground.

SOCIETIES.

The secret societies of Jackson represent nearly all the leading orders. Seely
Creek Lodge, No. 641, I. 0. 0. F., was organized July 34, 1868, with twenty-two
members. It meets at Daggetts, where it owns a commodious and well-furnished
hall building, erected in 1876-77, at a cost of $3,000. This lodge now numbers fifty-
six members. Jackson Encampment, No. 31, I. 0. 0. P., which meets in this hall,
was organized December 11, 1895, with forty members. Mechanics' Union, No.
354, E. A. U., which also meets in the same hall, was organized March 3, 1881, with
twenty members. Millerton Lodge, No. 935, I. 0. 0. F., was organized March 18,
1876. It now numbers forty-two members and meets in Union Hall, Millerton.
This hall was erected in 1895 by a stock company. Jackson Summit Lodge has
recently been merged with this lodge, thus giving it increase of membership and
of strength. Corp. Charles W. Deming Post, No. 476, G. A. K., and Corp. Charles
W. Deming Corps, No. 102, W. E. C, also meet in Union Hall. The former was
organized March 35, 1885, and has now fifty members. The latter was organized
March 21, 1896, with sixteen members. Mitchell's Mills Grange, No. 912, P. of H.,
was organized January 31, 1890. It meets at Mitchell's Mills. The hall owned
by this society was originally the Alder Eun Methodist Episcopal church building.
After being purchased by the grange it was repaired and furnished, and is now one
of the best grange halls in the county. The society numbers 224 members in
good standing, and is prosperous. Job's Corners Grange, No. 1110, P. of H., was
organized May 39, 1894, in the fall of which year it erected a hall building at Job's



JACKSON TOWNSHIP. 549



Corners costing $1,300. It is a strong and prosperous society, having now about
100 members, embracing the representative farmers of that section of the county.

VILLAGES AND POSTOFFICBS.

Daggetts, originally known as Daggett's Mills, and later as Spencerville, Dallas-
ville, then again as Daggett's Mills, and lastly as Daggetts, is the oldest village in the
township. It grew around the saw-mills established on Seely creek near the village
site. At one time it was a place of considerable importance and the largest village
in the township. With the cessation of lumbering, due to the giving out of the tim-
ber supply, it lost much of its business prestige. The first postoffice in the town-
ship was established here nearly seventy years ago. Seth Daggett, the first post-
master, was succeeded in 1837 by Joshua Gr. Spencer. In 1841 Lewis Daggett was
appointed. He held until 1843, when he lemoved to Tioga. His successors have
been Eichmond Jones, Orrin B. Wells, John Joslyn, W. H. Ferguson, D. B. Lain,
W. E. Compton and D. H. Scott, who was appointed July 1, 1894.

A tavern was opened here about 1834 by Joshua G. Spencer. Among his
successors as landlords of this hostelry were Andrew Murdough, Albert Jones, S.
S. Eoberts, James Clinton, Jacob Corzett, A. Minear, Gates Bird and others. The
last landlord in the village, Samuel EeynoMs, occupies the building erected as a
hotel about thirty years ago. He is also the oldest inhabitant, being a son of Saanuel
S. Eeynolds, a blacksmith, who settled there in 1823.

The first store was opened at Daggett's Mills in 1834 by Eichmond Jones.
Among other early merchants were Hiram B. Eoberts, who began business in 1836;
Wells & Pierce, who opened a store about 1838; Daggett, Jones & Keyes, Jones &
Keyes, and Seth S. Eoberts. The present merchants are D. H. Scott, who is also
postmaster, and H. P. Sweazey.

Millerton, first known as Hammond Creek, then as Millertown, and since 1878
as Millerton, is situated on Hammond creek, near the Bradford county line, and
is the largest village in the township. The first settler here was Garret Miller, who
came into the township in 1793. The village growth began about 1840, with the
establishment of the first store by James Miller. In 1844 Hector L. Miller and
Jesse C. Kinner were the merchants here. In 18-57 Mathew K. Eetan embarked
in business, continuing until about 1867. The present merchants are Miller &
Miller and Jesse B. Miller. A hotel was opened about 1848 by James Miller, who
kept it until 1867. The present hotel building was erected in 1876 by Oliver Ham-
ilton. W. W. Quackenbush, who has had a number of successors, was the first
landlord.

The Millerton Advocate was established April 26, 1877, by A. C. Lumbard &
Son. In October of the same year it was purchased by Harry T. Graves, who has
since successfully conducted it. The Advocate is devoted to local matters, and
receives a large advertising patronage from Elmira, New York.

A postofSce, called Hammond Creek, was established here in 1857. M. K.
Eetan, the first postmaster, held the office until 1867, when J. H. Miller, the present
incumbent, was appointed. The name of the office was first changed to Millertown,



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 72 of 163)