Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 73 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 73 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and in 1878 to Millerton. The village is a station on the Tioga branch of the



550 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

"Erie," contains a church, a public school building, a public hall, two general stores,
a drug store, a printing office, etc., and is the principal business point in the town-
ship.

JoVs Corners, situated on Seely creek, near the southeast comer of the town-
ship, was named for James Job, who settled there about 1833. James K. Burgess,
the first merchant, opened a store there in 1853. N". W. Garrison was also an early
merchant. The present merchant is G. A. Cornwell. Besides the store, the village
contains a church, grange hall, blacksmith shop, etc. A postoffice was established
here in July, 1887. John E. Westbrook, the first postmaster, held the office until
February 4, 1890, when he was succeeded by G. A. Cornwell, the present incumbent.

Mitchell's Mills is the name of a small settlement on Alder brook, which has
grown up around the old Mitchell saw-mill, beside which it contains a church, a
grange hall and a blacksmith shop.

Maple Ridge was the name of a postoffice, established about 1857, in the west-
ern part of the township. Isaac Spencer was the postmaster here for a number of
years. The office was discontinued after the biulding of the Tioga branch of the
''Erie" through the township in 1876.

Jackson Center is situated south of the center of the township. It contains
a church building and a store. C. H. Johnson, the merchant, is also the postmaster.
The postoffice, which is named Pipe Line, was established in 1894. The mail is
conveyed overland from Trowbridge.

Trowbridge, near the center of the township, is the name of a railroad station
and postoffice on the Tioga branch of the "Tjiie." It was established shortly after
the building of the railroad, and was named in honor of the late Henry Trowbridge,
the first settler there, who gave the railroad company a site for a station and a right
of way through his land. It is said to enjoy the distinction of being the only post-
- office of tlje name in the United States. Mr. Trowbridge's son, Henry 0. Trow-
bridge, the first postmaster, held the office until August 22, 1895, when his brother,
Lemuel A. Trowbridge, was appointed.

Jachson Summit, in the western part of the township, is the name of a station
and postoffice on the Tioga branch of the "Erie." A postoffice was established here
in 1877. The postmasters have been H. J. Tobey, E. C. Pedrick and Mrs. A. Heer-
mans, who was appelated in July, 1889. This place contains a church, school
house, blacksmith shop and two stores, the latter kept by D. B. Lain and Mrs. A.
Heermans.



CHAPTEE XLYI.

RUTLAND TOWNSHIP.

Oeganization— Boundaries— Physical Features— Stkeams— Iron Ore— Popula-
tion— Early Settlers— Mills and Other Enterprises— Schools— Physicians
AND Justices— Churches and Cemeteries— Roseville Borough.



RUTLAND township was organized in February, 1838, and was taken from the
townships of Sullivan and Jackson. It is bounded on the north by Jackson
township, on the east by Bradford county, on the south by Sullivan and Eiehmond
townships and on the west by Richmond and Tioga townships. The surface of the
township is somewhat rougher than that of Sullivan, and there is a much larger
amount of uncleared and untilled land, covered, as a rule, with hard wood timber, the
pine and hemlock, except on a few isolated tracts, having disappeared years ago.
Mill creek, the principal stream, rises in the edge of Bradford county and pursues
a westerly course, a little south of the center of the township. The drainage from
the north and from the south is toward this stream. Its principal branches on the
north are North creek, Bailey creek and Hibbard ran. On the south the principal
branch is Elk run and its tributaries. The township, as a whole, may be classed as
one of the upland townships of the county, the hill sximmits rising to 1,800 feet
above tidewater, the mean level being about 1,500 feet. Iron ore of a fair quality
is found in various parts of the township, that on the land of J. M. Hall, near Rose-
ville, being the largest and best. During the time the furnace at Mansfield was
in operation, quantities of this ore were hauled overland to it. For several years
past Mr. Hall has utilized the ore in the manufacture of mineral paint, for sale and
shipment. During the earlier years of the township's history lumbering was the
principal industry. Since the clearing away of the pine and hemlock timber, the
people have devoted themselves to the cultivation of the soil, and are fast making
the township one of the leading farming townships of the county. The township
has grown healthfully since its organization. In 1840 it contained 693 inhabitants;
in 1870, 1,157; in 1880, including Roseville borough, 1,249, and in 1890, 1,071.

EABLY SETTLERS.

One of the very earliest settlers of the township was William Rose, who came
from Rutland county, Vermont, in 1806, and settled on the site of Roseville. In
1808 Jesse Smith came from Delaware county. New York, and settled in what is
known as "Smith Hollow." In 1812 there were also residing in the township the
following named taxables: John Benson, who settled on the Bradford county line;
Ebenezer and W. D. Bacon, on the farm afterward owned by George T. Longwell;
Richard, Judah and Noah Gifford, near Roseville, on Brier Hill, and Cornelius and
Andrew Sharp, just east of Roseville, on what was afterwards known as the John



552 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Hall place. Solomon Goff came in 1815 and settled north of Eoseville.

The first assessment after the organization of the township was taken in 1829.
It showed the following taxables: Stewart Austin, who lived near the Van Ness
school house; John Argetsinger, one mile southeast of Eoseville; Isaac Benson,
at the mouth of Painter run; Ephraim Bryant, Bethuel Bentley, on Mill creek,
below Eoseville; Halsey Burton, at Burton's Corners, southeast of Eoseville; Jacob
Benson, on Pumpkin Hill; Caleb and Silas Burrell, west of Eoseville; Sylvester
Benson, in the Oldroyd neighborhood; Johnson Brewer, three miles northeast of
Eoseville; Peter Backer, at Eoseville; \V. D. Bacon, in the southern part of the
tpwnship; Sylvanus Benson, on Mill creek, above Eoseville; William M. and Jabez
Coxey, near Eoseville; David and Asa Crippen, two miles south of Eoseville, on
Brier Hill; Sydney, Cornelius, Samuel and Joseph Clark, at Burton's Comers;
Harris Corey, two miles east of Eoseville; John Crippen, south of Eoseville; James
Dann and James Dann, Jr., on Brier Hill; John B. Dann, near Eoseville; Nathan
Gifford, on Brier Hill; Nathan Goodwin, on Mill creek, four miles below Eoseville,
at "Patchogue;" Gardner Gould, on Pumpkin Hill; Justus Garretson, in the north-
eastern part of the township; Hosea, William W. and John E. Howland, southeast
of Eoseville; Baldwin Hazwell, on Mill creek, below Eoseville; David Huntley, ia
the eastern part of the township; Calvin W. Handmer, on the John Hall farm;
Benjamin Lawrence, at Lawrence's Corners; Nathan and Sylvester Newberry, on
Pumpkin Hill; Lucinda Newberry, on the Hugh Argetsinger farm; Elisha Nash,
in the southern part of the township; Levi Osgood, in the northeastern part of the
township; Eichard Pemberton, a mile below Eoseville; David Pnitsman, in the
northeastern part of the township; Erastus and Levi Eose, in Eoseville; Virgil Eose,
at Burton's Comers; Samuel, D. B. and John Eeynolds, in the southern part of the
township; Isaac and I. S. Smith, in Smith Hollow; Jefferson Sherman, near Eose-
ville; Eobert Searles, on Pumpkin Hill; John Snyder, on the Patrick Longwell
place, above Eoseville; Silas Smith, near Smith's Hollow; John, Tunis and Albert
Slingerland, near the center of the township; Ira and Daniel Walters, William, John,
Henry and Abram IJpdyke and Jonathan and Solomon Wood, on Pumpkin Hill,
and James Eosell, near Job's Comers.

Of the foregoing, a few remained in the township but a short time. Some
moved into Sullivan, Ward and other townships, while others became pioneers in the
new states farther west. The majority, however, cleared the lands settled upon,
and spent the remainder of their lives in the township. In many instances the
original homesteads are occupied by their descendants.

MILLS AND OTHEH ENTEEPEISES.

In 1822 or 1823 William Eose erected a distillery at Eoseville, which he operated
eight or ten years. In 1825 Sylvanus Benson, Hosea Howland and Barrett Claxk,
each had one-third interest in a saw-mill on Mill creek, in the eastern part of the
township. About 1836 Sylvester Bailey erected a saw-mill on Elk run, near the
Sullivan township line. This he operated until his death about 1852.' In this,
as in other townships, mills were rapidly established after 1835, aaid changes of
ownership were frequent. Sites for mills were selected on Mill creek, both above
and below Eoseville, and also on Elk run in the western part of the township. The





Ci^..^^<....9^1<y**'-£^^^iy



EUTLAND TOWNSHIP. 553



later mills were usually operated by steam. For the past ten or fifteen yeaxs portable
steam-mills have for the most part replaced the stationary mills. The timber sup-
ply, while not abundant, is yet sufficient to permit the cutting of a few million feet
each year. Among the more prominent of the early mill owners and lumbermen
were Bethuel Bentley, Frederick Cruttenden, Josephus Clark, William Killgore,
Ebenezer Dunning, Charles Clayton, Josiah Brown, E. W., "W. and Koyal Eose,
Timothy and Nelson Brace, Alfred McClure, Peter Sechrist, Daggett & Sixbee,
Isaac L. Wells, Eodney E. Mies and others. Among the mill owners of more recent
years were A. M. Moorehouse, Frank G. Hall, Edgar M. Brace and Burton Schrader.
A grist-mill was erected in the early thirties on Mill creek, a short distance
above Eoseville. It was operated for a few years by Eufus Daggett and Lyman
Gibson; then by Lyman, Allen and William Gibson; from 1838 to 1840 by Allen
Gibson; in 1841-42 by Samuel C. Gibson; then for two years by Chazles I. & E.
Brown. Then followed a number of changes of ownership until 1868, when the
property passed into the hands of 0. C. & B. Schrader. In 1871 0. C. Schrader
became owner. In 1873 Burton Schrader acquired the property, adding a saw-
mill in 1880. In 1894 the property passed into the possession of Eoss & Williams,
of Mansfield, and is now owned by Charles S. Eoss of that place. In 1863 Myron
Mills erected a taimery in Eoseville, which he operated for several years, when the
enterprise was discontinued. A mill for the purpose of converting iron ore into
mineral paint has been operated for several years past by J. M. Hall, just east of
Eoseville borough. Mr. Hall has a large deposit of iron ore on his place.

SCHOOLS.

The first school was established in the township before 1880, on Mill creek.
Like all early schools, it was a log building and was supported by subscription. Early
schools were also established at Eoseville and in the Bentley neighborhood. After
the adoption of the public school system, the township was divided into districts.
At the present time there are twelve schools in the township and one in Eoseville
borough. The average number of months taught, is six in the township and seven
in the borough.

PHYSICIANS AND JUSTICES.

Dr. Ezra Wood began practice in the township as early as 1833 and continued
until his death in 1829. Francis H. White began practice in 1833. About 1837
he removed from the township, returning, however, and resuming his practice in
1850. He continued in the active duties of his profession to within a few years
of his death. He died in 1885, having attained the remarkable age of 106 years.
Sanford Eoblyer, Dr. Harrison, Abel Humphrey and Ealph Shepherd practiced in
the township from 1838 to 1840; David S. Eoblyer, from 1841 to 1843; Orson
Gregory, 1843 and 1844, and D. IST. Hunt, 1844 to 1846. Joel Eose began practice
in 1846 and continued for over twenty years. Dr. John M. Barden, a son of Dr.
William M. Barden, the pioneer homeopathic physician of the county, was ad-
mitted to practice in 1862, and located in Eoseville. Here he continued to prac-
tice until 1881, when he removed to Mansfield, returning to Eoseville in 1895.
In 1875 Dr. Benjamin Moody located in Eoseville, and practiced there until 1877,



654 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

when he removed to Mansfield. In 1883, 0. S. ISTye, one of the present resident phy-
sicians, began practice in EoseAdlle.

The following named persons have served as justices of the peace since the
organization of the township: Joseph Clark, 1835; Clark Stilwell, 1835; Jeffer-
son Sherman, 1840; John W. ¥rost, 1840; Erastus Eose, 1843; re-elected, 1850;
1855; Bethuel Bentley, 1845; Charles Sherman, 1848; Schuyler Horton, 1853;
re-elected, 1858; Daniel Watson, 1860; re-elected, 1865, 1870, 1875; Henry Old-
royd, 1863; re-elected, 1868; J. D. Longwell, 1873; Jefferson Prutsman, 1876;
re-elected, 1881, 1886, 1891; D. S. Horton, 1876; Eeynolds Sixbee, 1881; re-
elected, 1886; David Conable, 1891; George Tanner, 1893, and G. J. Cook, 1897.

CHUECHES AND CEMETBEIES.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of North Sullivan and South Rutland was
organized in 1841, and is familiarly known as the Mansfield church. A church
building was erected in 1842, and the society incorporated. Among those who
have served as pastors of this church were Eevs. Ira Smith, Joseph Pearsall,
Charles L. Brown, Mr. Wallace, Mr. Black, Charles Wright, Jonas Dodge, J. K.
Tuthill, S. Alden, Enoch H. Cranmer, William Hosmer, E. L. Stilwell, John P.
Kent, Elisha Sweet, C. L. F. Howe, Nathan S. Clark, M. H. Shurtleff, Amos Mans-
field, George Wilkinson, Isaac Everett, S. G. Ehinevault, Charles M. Adams, J.
0. Benham, A. D. Edgar, E. D. Eose, E. J. Hermans, D. W. C. Huntington, C.
C. Wilbur, M. S. Kymer, J. H. Eoss, Wesley Cochran, M. T. Wheeler, Paul Smith,
Mr. Briggs, A. S. Darling, John Vankirk, S. A. Chubbuck, C. B. Eowley, E. D.
Eawson, G. W. Moiey, E. E. Ballard, H. D. Barber, George Warburton, Paul
Smith, M. E. Eockwell, Edward Eiley, Charles Hillman and J. C. Crowther, the
present pastor, who took charge in October, 1894.

The Second Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1860 with ten mem-
bers, and a church erected in 1865, at Lawrence's Corners, near Mill creek, below
Eoseville. This church has had the same pastors as the "Mansfield church."

. The Third Methodist Episcopal Church of Rutlaiid is the church at Eose-
ville. It was incorporated in 1870 and a building erected, which was destroyed
in the fire of July 8, 1890. A new building and a parsonage have since been erected.
This church has been served by the same pastors as the "Mansfield church."

Bailey Creek Baptist Church was organized April 13, 1859, with nineteen
members, as follows: Eev. Benjamin Oviatt, Timothy Brace, Temperance Brace,
Horace Brace, E. Brace, D. Havens, Julia A. Longwell, Henrietta Kangsley, G. W.
Kingsley, Freeman Harris, Mrs. F.Harris, F. Ingersoll,I. Eickey, Anna Eickey, Nelson
Brace, Aaron Squires and wife, and Benjamin Fralic and wife. The following
named persons have served the church as pastors: Eev. Benjamin Oviatt, 1859;
Samuel Grinnell, 1860; J. Gray, 1861-63; M. Eockwell, 1864-67; G. P. Watrous,
1870-73; C. H. Crowl, 1873-74; M. Eockwell, 1875-76; C. P. Mott, 1877; M.
Eockwell, 1878-80; Samuel Early, 1881-83; C. B. Smith, 1884; E. D. Hays, 1885-
86; S. D. Merrick, 1887; J. A. Klucker, 1889; G. P. Watrous, 1891; C. H. Crowl,
1892-93; L. L. Grover, 1894. This church now numbers forty-five members. A
church building was erected on Elk run, a short distance above its junction -with
Mill creek, in 1871, at a cost of $3,280, and a hall and sheds costing $600 added in



BUTLAND TOWNSHIP. 555



1882. There axe fifty-six pupils and teachers in the Sunday-school, of which N.
C. Brace is superintendent.

The Rutland Baptist Church was organized in Eoseville, August 30, 1873, with
fourteen members, as follows: John M. Barden, Hannah H. Barden, Myron Mills,
Mary J. Mills, D. W. Havens, Mrs. Louisa IJavens, Leroy D. Pierce, Mrs. S. M.
Pierce, Mrs. Polly Wood, Philander D. Eockwell, William Worden, Mrs. Caroline
Worden, Mrs. Mary Baker and Mrs. Louisa Soper. Eev. R. Corbett, the first pas-
tor, served during 1873. His successors have been as follows: Eevs. C. H. Growl,
1873-74; F. Purvis, 1875; M. Eockwell, 1876-83; C. B. Smith, 1884; E. D. Hays,
1885-87; Franklin Pierce, 1888; J. A. Klucker, 1889,; G. P. Watrous, 1891-93;

C. H. Growl, 1893-95, and S. G. Brundage, who took charge in March, 1896. A
neat and attractive church building, costing $3,000, was dedicated December 10,
1873. The church has now forty-eight members. In the Sunday-school, of which
Joel Glark is the superintendent, are fifty-five pupils and teachers. Both church
and school are constantly growing.

Cemeteries and neighborhood burying grounds are to be found in various
paris of the township. The old burying ground at Eoseville is on a little knoll on
Mill creek. The newer cemetery, near the Baptist church, is regularly laid out
and will eared for. In the eastern part of the township, near the roadside, on a
knoll, is the old Clark burying ground, containing the remains of the pioneers
of that neighborhood. In the southeastern part of the township, near the Sher-
man school, is another old burying ground. In the Bentley graveyard, below
Eoseville, is found a modest tombstone, bearing the following inscription:

Daniel Wattles.

A Soldier of the Revolution.

Born in Connecticut in 1761.

Died in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, May 19, 1839.

This stone was erected to his memory by J. M. Wattles, of Bradford cou,nty, as a

mark of filial affection and gratitude.

Mr. Wattles was an early settler in the township, in which he resided for
several years previous to his death.

EOSEVILLE BOEOUGH.

Eoseville is situated on Mill creek, a short distance east and south of the
ijenter of the township. It was named in honor of William Eose, who settled on
its site in 1806, and who was for many years its leading citizen. It is one of the
smaller boroughs of the county, and is a purely rural village, being in the midst
of a good agricultural section. The first tavern keeper was William Eose, Jr., who
began business in a little house that stood on the vacant lot south of the Long-
well residence. A building was afterwards erected on the site of the present Eose-
ville Hotel. About 1850 William Eose, Jr., w^as succeeded by Eoyal Eose, who
continued in business until his death in November, 1865. He was succeeded by

D. W. Hibbard, who kept the house for a number of years. He had a number of
successors. The hotel was destroyed by fire in July, 1890, being then the property
of P. C. Avery. It was rebuilt and is now run by him. The Backer House was
erected about 1849 by Peter Backer. He kept it for a number of years. It has
had numerous landlords. It is not now run as a hotel.

A postofHee, called Eutland, was established in the township in 1838.



556 . HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Bethuel Bentley was the first postmaster and kept the office in his dwelling, about
a mile and a half below Eoseville, on Mill creek. He held the office until 1840,
■when William Eose, Jr., was appointed and the office permanently located at Eose-
Tille. The succeeding postmasters have been Eoyal Eose, H. B. Hibbard, E. E.
Backer, appointed in 1866; C. B. Hanyen, appointed in 1881; Daniel Watson,
appointed in 1885; E. E. Wood, appointed in 1889, and J. P. Wilcox, appointed
June 17, 1893. The office was made a money-order office April 7, 1893.

A store was opened in Eoseville about 1837, by Eoyal Eose, who continued
in business until 1852, when the enterprise was conducted for two years by E. and
E. Eose and A. Hall. J. B. and P. S. Drake were merchants in 1852, and Byron
Clark in 1853. Strait & Austin began business, as merchants, in 1860, and were
succeeded in 1863 by Charles L. Strait, who continued in business over twenty
years. In 1867 Capt. E. E. Backer embarked in business, and was succeeded
in 1874 by Myron Mills. About 1881 Mr. Mills removed to Mansfield. The
present merchants are C. B. Hanyen, who has been in business in Eoseville since
1881, and H. L. Blood, who began business in 1886.

Eoseville was incorporated as a borough February 3, 1876, the first officers
being as follows: S. S. Johns, burgess; 6. W. Sherman, Myron Mills, L. C. Ben-
son, C. L. Strait, John M. Barden and Daniel Watson, councilmen; Daniel Wat-
son and J. D. Longwell, justices of the peace; Josephus Stout, constable; D. W.
Hibbard, street commissioner, and Warren Eose, assessor. The office of burgess
has been since held by the following-named persons: S. S. Johns, 1877; G. W.
Soper, 1888; L. D. Pierce, 1879; E. Crapser, 1880-81; Alanson Eose, 1882; S.
Eose, 1883; 0. B. Burlew, 1884; John Teneyck, 1885; H. H. Van Ockin, 1886;
Alexander Eose, 1887; A. C. Young, 1888-89; John Teneyck, 1890; 0. S. Nye,
1891-92; L. Eose, 1893; H. H. Van Ockin, 1894; J. D. Longwell, 1895; Frank
Argetsinger, 1896, and J. F. WHlcox, 1897.

The justices of Eoseville have been as follows: J. D. Longwell, 1878; Daniel
Watson, 1880; Charles W. Kelley, 1883; re-elected in 1888 and 1893; C. B.
Hanyen, 1885; re-elected in 1890, and Josephus Stout, 1895.

The first secret society in Eoseville was Adelphic Lodge, No. 368, I. 0. 0. F.,
originally organized in Tioga, October 8, 1847, and removed to Eoseville April 2,
1857, where it flourished and became the parent of Seely Creek Lodge, at Dag-
getts, and of the lodges at AustinviRe and Aspinwall, in Bradford county. The
hall building of this lodge was destroyed in the fire of July 8, 1890, soon after
which the charter was surrendered and it passed o\it of existence. The existing
societies in Eoseville are Capt. E. E. Backer Post, No. 616, G. A. E., organized Sep-
tember 6, 1892, and which has now twenty-three members; and Eutland Tent,
No. 87, K. 0. T. M., which was organized September 30, 1895. It now numbers
seventeen members.

July 8, 1890, the borough was visited by a destructive fire, which swept out of
existence twenty-three buildings, including one hotel, the Methodist church, C.
B. Hanyen's store, and a number of private residences and bams. The loss in
properly exceeded $50,000. The church and the hotel and a number of the
residences, including the Methodist parsonage, have since been rebuilt. The
borough now contains a postoffice, a hotel, two general stores, two churches, a
public school building, two blacksmith shops, etc.



CHAPTEE XL VII.

SULLIVAN TOWNSHIP.

Oeganization— Original Area and Present Boundaries— Soil and Products-
Streams— Derivation OF Name— Population— Early Settlers— Business
Enterprises— Schools— Physicians and Justices— Churches— Cemeteries-
Secret Societies— Borough of Mainesburg — Villages and Postoffices.



SULLIVAN township was organized in February, 1816, and was taken from
Covington township. It embraced within its original boundaries the larger
part of the township of Eutland, and all of the townships of Union and "Ward.
As at present constituted it embraces an area averaging six and a half miles from
east to west, by seven miles from north to south, and contains about forty-iive
square miles. It is bounded on the north by Eutland township; east by Brad-
ford coimty; south by Ward township, and west by Covington and Eiehmond
townships. The mean elevation above tidewater is about 1,400 feet. The general
surface, except along the southern border, is undulating. The soil is productive
and weU adapted to the cereal grains, meadow grasses, orchard fruits and tobacco.
In proportion to its area, Sulhvan township is the richest and best agricul-
tural township in the county. Very little of its land is uncultivated, and its farmers
are thrifty, prosperous and progressive. It is well watered, and its creek valleys
are the sites of some of the finest farms in the township. Elk run rises near the
southeast corner and flows northwest through the central part of the township,
receiving a number of smaller branches. Corey creek rises south of the center
of the township, and pursues a northwest course to Mainesburg, west of which it
passes into Eiehmond township. Canoe Camp creek pursues a westward course
through the southwestern part of the township.

Among the early settlers were a number of Eevolutionaxy soldiers, who had
seen service under Gen. John Sullivan, who, in the summer of 1779, led an ex-
pedition against the Indians in the Genesee valley. When the township was or-
ganized, these early settlers named it "Sullivan," in honor of their old commander.



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 73 of 163)