Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 75 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 75 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The secret societies now existing in Sullivan township and Mainesburg have
large memberships and are prosperous. The Odd Fellows are represented by
Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, which was organized March 15, 1871. It meets in
Mainesburg and has forty-two members, among whom are many of the leading
citizens of the borough and township. Sullivan Grange, No. 84, and East Sullivan
Grange, No. 831, represent the Patrons of Husbandry. The former was organized
in February, 1873, meets in Mainesburg, and has a large membership. The latter
was organized April 9, 1887. It meets at the residence of Isaac Squires, near
Gray's Valley, and numbers fifty-three members. Washington Camp, No. 637,
P. 0. S. of A., was organized March 4, 1893, in Mainesburg. It now numbers
seventy-eight members and is one of the strongest camps in the county.

BOEOTJGH OF MAINESBURG.

The borough of Mainesburg is situated on Corey creek, in the western part
of the township, midway between its southern and northern boundaries. It was
named in honor of John Maine, and was organized as a borough in March, 1859.
It is on the sta^e route between Mansfield, in Eichmond township, and Troy,
Bradford county. Though one of the smaller boroughs of the county, and away
from the railroad, it is a trading point of considerable importance, being in the
midst of a fine agricultural section. Its schools, its churches and its secret and
beneficiary societies are well attended and maintained, and its people keep in
touch with the progress of the day. Its manufacturing and business interests
have been somewhat crippled during recent years by fires, and by the disappear-
ance of timber and the consequent cessation of lumbering operations. The town-
ship aroimd it, now being a purely agricultural one, the dependence of the borough
for trade is confined to its own citizens and the farmers of the vicinity. The
early settlement of the borough is given elsewhere in this chapter, as is also an
account of the establishment of its early manufacturing and business enterprises.
The Mainesburg postofi&ce was established between 1825 and 1830. John Maine,
the first postmaster, held the office until about 1845. His successors have been
John M. Fox, Baldwin Parkhurst, Homer J. Eipley, James Cudworth, "W. P.
Eose, M. F. Eose and J. H. DeWitt, the present incumbent, who was appointed
in July, 1895.

Since Mainesburg was organized as a borough, the following named persons
have filled the office of burgess: James Fox, 1859; Joseph Ellis, 1860; E. K.
Brundage, 1861; A. Peters, 1863, 1863; John A. Ellis, 1864; A. Peters, 1865; P.



566 HISTOET OF TIOGA COtTNTT.

E. KnifEen, 1866; J. B. Strong, 1867; J. B. Cudworth, 1868; K E. Calkins, 1869;
S. S. Eumsey, 1870; L. B. Austin, 1871; J. B. Strong 1872 and 1873; E. G.
Shelton, 1874, 1875, 1876 and 1877; T. 0. Doud, 1879, 1880 and 1881; J. B.
Cudworth, 1882; J. B. Strong, 1883; J. N". Hajvey, 1884; Lloyd Squires, 1885
an(i 1886; E. H. Doud, 1887; C. E. Whiting, 1888; Lloyd Squires, 1889; J. W.
DeWitt, 1890; W. L. Welch, 1891 to 1893; J. Austin, 1894 to 1896, and H. E.
Bartlett, elected in 1897.

The Justices of the peace have been*- Isaac S. Eumsey, 1859; E. K. Brundage,
1863; E. A. Fish, 1864; 0. F. Eiehaxds, 1866; Augustus Eedfield, 1868; D. E.
Doud, 1869; L. M. Eumsey, 1870; A. M. Haight, 1875; re-elected, 1881, 1886,
1895; J. S. Woodburn, 1880; re-elected, 1885, 1890; W. A. Eumsey, 1891; E.
E. Maine, 1896.

TILLAGES AND POSTOI'I'ICES.

Sullivan Postoffice was established in 1822. Henry Eew, the first postmaster,
held the office until 1828. His successor, James B. Dewey, served over twenty
years, and his successor, Uriah B. Welch, ten years. C. W. Palmer, the present
postmaster, was appointed April 9, 1863. Each postmaster has transacted the
business of the office at his residence. The office is situated in the eastern part
of the township.

Gray's Valley Postoffice was established over sixty years ago. John Gray, the
first postmaster, served a number of years and was succeeded by Marcus Strange,
who died in 1852. His successor, James Gray, held the office until his death in
1860, when Mrs. Hannah Strange, widow of Marcus Strange, was appointed. Her
son, Joseph Strange, succeeded her, and served until 1883, when the office was
discontinued.

HlJc Run Postoffice was established about 1854. The first postmaster was
ISTorthrop Smith. His successors have been Cyrus Davenport, C. A. Smith and
S. L. Wood, the present incumbent, who was appointed October 1, 1888. Mr.
Wood also carries on a general store.



CHAPTER XL VIII.

EICHMOND TOWNSHIP.

Organization— Physical Characteristics— Streams— Mineeal Deposits— Pion-
eer Settlers— Pioneer Enterprises— Schools and Justices— Chitrches-
Cemeteries— Villages.



RICHMOND township, originally a part of Covington township, was organized
in February, 1824. It is eight and one-half miles from east to west, six and
one-half miles from north to south, and contains about fifty-five square miles. The
surface is broken, the elevation varying from a mean of 1,150 feet in the river
valley, to 1,600 and 1,800 feet in the mountainous region, north and west of
Lamb's creek. With the exception of this limited area, the land of the town-
ship — valley, hillside and upland — is tillable and fertile. Eiehmond, there-
fore, ranks as one of the populous, productive and prosperous townships of the
county. In 1840 it contained 742 inhabitants; in 1870, 1,558; in 1880, 1,512,
and in 1890, 1,640.

Before the land was cleared and settled it was covered with a heavy forest
growth of pine, hemlock, beech, maple, birch, oak, etc., nearly all of which has dis-
appeared. The.township is well watered. The Tioga river enters it from the south,
about a mile east of the center of the southern boundary line, fiows northeast to
Canoe Camp, where it turns and takes a northwesterly direction to the northern
boundary line, which it crosses about a mile west of the center. Its course through
the township is marked by a gradually narrowing valley, which becomes a mere gap
in the mountains where it passes into Tioga township. It and its tributaries drain
the entire surface of the township. On the east it receives Canoe Camp creek,
flowing northwest from Covington township, and Corey creek, flowing northwest
from Sullivan township. On the west it receives Lamb's creek, which, with its
tributaries, drains the northwestern quarter of the township. The northeastern
part of the township is drained by Mill creek, which flows northwest into Tioga
township, and the southwestern part by Elk run, which flows southeast into Cov-
ington township.

The mineral wealth of this township consists of iron ore, plastic clays and
building stone. The Mansfleld ore bed, which supplied the furnace at Mansfield
for many years, is situated three miles southwest of the borough, on the Wellsboro
road. It is from three to four feet in thickness, contains about thirty-nine per
cent, of iron, and is known as the first or upper bed. What is thought to be the
same bed, shows itself two or three miles north, along Lamb's creek, and on the
east side of the Tioga river, southeast of Lamb's creek, also further east on "Pickel
Hill." Deposits belonging to the second bed — 200 to 400 feet lower — ^have been
found one-half mile east of the 0. A. Benedict place, in the southwestern part of the
township; on "Whipple Hill," southwest of Mansfield; on Mann creek, below Mans-



-„o HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

obo *



field- on the lands of Mrs. Sarah E. Morris and Albert Sherwood west of the
loXZ on J. C. Howe's and J. B. Clark's Ws, and on "Bixby Hill." A third
bed 100 to 200 feet lower than the second, crops out in the river near the northwest
corner of the borough limits. Ore from other deposits has been nsed in the mann-
fa^tnre ol pig iron and mineral paint. None of these ore beds is being developed at
present. Plastic clays, of fine texture, axe to be f onnd along the Tioga river ^d
fts tributaries. Good building stone is also found m various paxts of the township
There are those who believe that Eichmond lies within the oil and gas belt. The
only thing, however, that has been done to develop either, is limi ed to an oil well
sunk several years ago at Canoe Camp. Gas was struck and a little oi found at a
depth of about 2,000 feet. The well was, however, abandoned and plugged, just
when interesting developments were promised.

PIONEEK SBTTLEKS.

The first settler in Eichmond township was a man named Carter, who^ about
the year 1794, or soon after the opening of the Williamson road, located on what
is now known as the Lannigan place, on the east side of the Tioga nver, about
half a mile below Lamb's Creek. Here he built two log houses and cleared
about eight or ten acres of land. In the fall of 1796, or spring of 1797, he sold out
CO a man named White, and removed to Canaseraga Creek, in western New York.
Neither Carter nor White appear to have acquired any title, beyond that of occu-
pation, to the land, the first purchaser receiving a deed and becoming a perma-
nent settler, being Gad Lamb, who came into the township in the summer of 1797.
In the mortgage given by him January 2, 1808, to secure the unpaid portion of
the purchase money, the tract is described as part of Survey No. 317, and is desig-
nated as "Oakland." Lamb and his family left their native town of Wilbraham,
Massachusetts, in the spring of 1797. At Towanda, Pennsylvania, where his son,
Ebenezer Eipley Lamb, was born, May 27, 1797, Mr. Lamb left his family and
accompanied by his son, Daniel, then seventeen years old, came to Tioga county.
They first visited Canoe Camp, where they planted the old Williamson encamp-
ment clearing in com and potatoes, but did not purchase the land. Continuing
down the river, they came to the Carter place, which, as already stated, Mr. Lamb
bought. He next returned to Towanda for his family, leaving Daniel in charge of
the place. The lad remained there alone for two weeks, with no neighbors nearer
than the Nathan Niles family at the mouth of Mill creek. The settlement of
Benjamin Corey, who came earlier than Lamb, is noted in the chapter devoted to
Mansfield borough. The next settler was Josiah Hovey, whose name appears in
the assessment list of 1800 as an innkeeper — the first in the township. He came in
1798 or 1799, and located on what is now known as the Sumner Wilson place, on the
Williamson road, near the southern line of the township. The names of his sons,
Simeon and Gurdon Hovey, appear on the assessment list as carpenters. Simeon,
at a later date, settled on what was known afterwards as the Henry Searle place.

About 1799 or 1800 Peres Bardwell, whose name appears on the census list for
1800, located on the place afterwards owned by Asa Mann; an Englishman,
named Burton, settled near Lamb's Creek, on the place occupied later by Joshua



KICHMOND TOWNSHIP. 569



Sha-w; Amasa Culver, Nathan Eowley and Samuel Negley settled at Canoe Camp;
David Miller and Cheney Ames, a mile south of Mansfield, and ISTathan Hill and
Peter Button, ahove Canoe Camp, near the Hoveys. Edward Gobin, who settled
within the Mansfield limits, is referred to in the chapter devoted to that borough.
Elihu Marvin came in 1803 and built a saw-mill— the first one in the township— one
mile south of Mansfield. In 1804 Asa Mann, the founder of Mansfield, came here
from Ehode Island, and settled one mile below the borough, on what was after-
wards known as the James E. "Wilson place. Here he kept hotel and a small
stock of merchandise in a log house, replaced in 1818 by a large frame dwelling
which is still standing and is used as a residence by B. H. Osgood, the occupant of
the farm. It is the oldest house in the township. Eeferenee is made to Asa
Mann in the chapter devoted to Mansfield, and also to John, Peter and Jacob
Kelts, who came about 1804.

In the year 1806 Elijah Clark, his brothers, John and Loren, and his sister,
Philena came from Wilbraham, Massachusetts, and Elijah settled on the place now
owned by Albert Sherwood, west of the borough. His brothers and sister made
their home with him until the arrival of the rest of the family in 1814. Amos
Spencer, a native of UnadiUa, New York, settled at Canoe Caonp m 1806 built a
grist-mill in 1807 and a saw-miU a few years later. Ebenezer Burley, who came
L 1808, is referred to in the Mansfield borough chapter. Joshua Shaw came from
Plainfield, Massachusetts, in 1810, and the foUowing year settled at Lambs
Creek Aaron GUlet, who first settled at Mill Creek, Tioga township, m 1^9J> and
afterwards removed to Cherry Flats, again removed in 1811, settling on the Vedder
place above Canoe Camp. During the AVar of 1812 he caxried the mail on horse-
back between Tioga and WiUiamsport. He rode at full speed, fresh horses being
provided at each station. In 1813 Cephas Stratton came from Bradford county
and settled between Mansfield and Canoe Camp. In 1814 Seth and Eleanor Clark,
parents of Elijah, John, Loren and Philena Clark, heretofore mentioned, came
from Vermont with their son, Justus Burr Clark, and settled below Mans-
field. In 1821 Justus Burr Clark married Catherine Hart. As a part of his
house-keeping outfit, he bought an iron tea-kettle of William Willard in Tioga,
giving therefor three bushels of wheat; also a hand saw and some shingle nails,
paying three dollars for the former and thirty cents a pound for the latter. In
1814, also, there were living at and in the vicinity of Canoe Camp, beside those
mentioned, Daniel Williams, a clothier, David and Eichard Miller and Daniel Eose.

The first minister of the Gospel to settle in the township was Eev. Nehemiah
Hobart Eipley, father of the late Philip S. Eipley, and grandfather of Capt. Homer J.
Eipley, recently county recorder. He came from Albany, New York, in 1815,
and settled on Corey creek, on the place now owned by William B. Jerald. Mr.
Eipley was ordained an Old School Baptist minister, but afterwards embraced the
Universalist faith and became a minister of that denomination. John and Abner
Cochran came from Cambridge, Vermont, in 1816, and settled at Lamb's Creek.
Maj. Ebenezer Eipley came from Cooperstown, New York, in February, 1817, and
also settled at Lamb's Creek. His son, William C. Eipley, was one of the pioneer
teachers of Mansfield. Isaac Lownsbery, a Eevolutionary soldier, settled
at Canoe Camp in 1818, where his son, Isaac, born February 9, 1811, still resides.



570 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Peter Whitteker, a son-in-law of Isaac Lownsbery, came with him from Schoharie,
New York. He first settled at Canoe Camp, but afterwards moved up Canoe Camp
creek to the place now owned by his son, Barney Whitteker. Lieut. Jacob Allen,
grandfather of the late Prof. Fordyce A. Allen, came from Cummington, Massa-
chusetts, in 1818, and settled on the place previously owned by Elijah Clark,
and now owned by Albert Shei-wood. He was a lieutenant in the Eevolution-
ary War, and aide-de-camp to his father, who was killed in the early part of that
struggle. Before settling here Lieutenant Allen peddled woolen goods, etc.,
through this section. In 1818, also, Sumner Wilson, who came from Massa-
chusetts, settled on the place previously occupied by Josiah Hovey, near the Cov-
ington township line, still known as the Sumner Wilson place.

In 1820 Thomas Dyer settled on the Vedder place, above Canoe Camp, and Rob-
ert Searle on the adjoining farm north. John and Martin Kelley came here in 1837
and Marcus Kelley in 1829, and settled at what is known as Kelleytown, between
Mansfield and Lamb's Creek. Here John ran a cabinet-maker shop, saw-mill and
store for a number of years. Daniel Sherwood, a native of Connecticut, came from
Cortland county, New York, in 1830, and built a saw-mill about a half a mile below
Lamb's Creek bridge. He and his sons engaged in the lumber business until 1839,
when they removed to Mansfield. Andrew Sherwood, of Mansfield, a grandson of
Daniel Sherwood, is well known as a geologist, and has been prominently connected
with the geological surveys of Pennsylvania, New York and Ohio. David Dorsett
came from Peekskill, New York, in June, 1830, and settled on Lamb's creek.

Michael Fralic came irom Marathon, New York, and settled at Lamb's Creek in
1831. His sons, Daniel and Henry Fralic, are well-known lumbermen. Lewis
Cruttenden, Tobias and Philip Lent, who settled on Lamb's creek, and Thomas
Jerald, who settled on Corey creek, also came in 1831. Rev. Asa Donaldson, who
held the first stated service and organized the first church in Mansfield, came to
Tioga county in 1832, and lived on the Albert Sherwood place until 1837, when he
moved to Illinois. Oliver Elliott, afterwards a business man of Mansfield, came
into the township in 1835. About 1834-35 Marcus Benedict settled on the Wellsboro
road, near the western line of the township. Joseph Walker and R. P. Buttles came
in 1839; Levi Cooper, in 1841; Vine D. Patchen and his son, Robert M., and
Robert H. Pratt and his son, Edwin, in 1843; George Slingerland, in 1844;
Joseph Whipple, in 1845; James M. Ramsdell, in 1846; John Drew, in 1847; James
Hoard, John Voorhees, William Powers and John Kiley in 1849.

The foregoing names are those of the more prominent settlers of the township
to the close of the first half of the present century. They endured the dangers,
hardships and privations of pioneer life. The farms they cleared, after years of
patient toil, are now possessed by their descendants, who have replaced the rude
log cabin, the log church and the log school house with homes, schools and
churches, that bear eloquent witness to the thrift, industry, intelligence and mor-
ality of the people of the township.



PIONEEE ENTEBPEISES.



The manufacturing enterprises of the township have been confined almost ex-
clusively to saw-mills and grist-mills. The first saw-mill was built in 1803, one



BIOHMON.D TOWNSHIP. 57 ^



mile south of Mansfield, by Elihu Marvin; the second, in which Elijah Clark after-
wards had an interest, was built about 1810 or 1811, on Corey creek, by John and
Peter Kelts; the third, in 1812, at Lamb's Creek, by Gad Lamb and his sons, and
the fourth a little later by Amos Spencer at Canoe Camp. As the township was
settled up, the number of mills increased until lumbering became and remained
an important industry, so long as the timber supply lasted. As lumber grew
scarcer, the mills shut down, until all but two, the Spencer mill at Canoe Camp,
and the Fralic mill at Lamb's Creek, have passed out of existence.

In 1805 Elihu Marvin purchased from Dorman Bloss, at Nelson, a grist-mill
to turn by hand. This he hauled on an ox sled and placed under his saw-mill,
south of Mansfield. It would grind five or six bushels a day. Mr. Marvin then
set about getting out a frame for a better mill, but died before he could erect it.
His widow sold this frame to Amos Spencer, who, in 1807, used it in erecting a
grist-mill at Canoe Camp, on one of the best water powers in the county. This
mill was afterwards replaced by a better one, and in 1857 a still larger mill was
built." This, with the adjoining saw-mill, was destroyed by fire May 30, 1879. The
present grist-mill and saw-mill, both run by water power, were built in 1883, by
A. M. Spencer, a grandson of Amos Spencer, the pioneer. In 1855 Amos Bixby
built a paint-mill on the site of the old Marvin saw-mill, which he operated for a
number of years.

SCHOOLS AKD JUSTICES.

The first school in the township was taught in 1814, at Canoe Camp, by Miss
Sally Elliott, a daughter of Nathaniel Elliott. She afterwards married Daniel
Eose. Among her pupils was Martin Stratton, bom in 1807, and now a resident
of Blossburg. She was followed by Daniel Rose, Gardiner Seaman, Asa Howe,
Dr. Pliny Power and his sister, Lucy, Erastus P. Deane and Charlotte Harkness,
now the wife of Col. N. A. Elliott, of Mansfield. She taught about 1835. A
school house was built about 1835. In 1818 Miranda Allen, a daughter of Lieut.
Jacob Allen, opened a school in a building erected and used as a dwelling by Prank
Truman, a short distance south of Kelleytown. In 1835 a school house was built
at Lamb's Creek. Among the early teachers in these schools were Abigail Bick-
ford, Lucretia Atherton, D. P. Hotehkiss, Warren VanValen, Elliott S. Eose,
Erastus Herrington, Fidelia King and W. E. Lamb. As the township settled up,
neighborhood schools were started, and later public school districts created, until
there are now within the township limits sixteen public school buildings. In 1895
the revenue derived from state and county taxation, set apart for school purposes,
■was $4,004.10.

The first Justice of the peace for Richmond township was Almon Allen, who
was commissioned January 19, 1837. The office has since been filled as follows:
Thomas Dyer, 1837; David Hazzard, 1830; Daniel N. Hunt, 1833; Solon Richards,
1835; Isaac Drake, 1838; Porter Gaylord, 1840; Leander K. Spencer, 1840; re-
elected, 1845, 1858; William C. Ripley, 1843; re-elected, 1859, 1864, 1873, 1877;
Simeon P. Utter, 1847 ; re-elected, 1853; Apollos Pitts, 1848; re-elected, 1853;
Daniel L. Sherwood, 1854; John C. Howe, 1864; Lorin Butts, 1869; James E.



572 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Wilson, 1869; H. E. Husted,1874; Alonzo M. Spencer, 1878; M. E. Goodall, 1881;
re-elected, 1886, 1891 and 1896; J. P. Eipley, 1882; Curtis P. Puller, 1887; George
E. Puller, 1893; re-elected, 1897.

CHUKCHES.

In the earlier years of the township's history, before any attempt was made to
organize a church, the settlers depended for religious services upon itinerant
evangelists, members generally of the Methodist Episcopal or the "Old School" Bap-
tist denominations. Whenever one of these put in an appearance the settlers
would flock to hear him, the meetings being held in the open air or in the dwelling
or bam of one of the settlers. The earliest meetings of this kind in Eichmond
township were held sometimes in the open air and sometimes in the barn, on the
premises of Gad Lamb, the pioneer settler at Lamb's Creek. Here the pioneers
listened to the earnest and, oftentimes, fiery eloquence of Kimball, Beers, Solon
Stocking — ^who preached Mr. Lamb's funeral sermon ia April, 1834 — Sheaxdown,
Cranmer, Eogers, Andrew Pickard — who married Maria Lamb, and who died in
Colorado in June, 1894, aged ninety-four years — and other ministers of the de-
nominations named. In 1836 Jerusha Lamb, Gad Lamb's widow, organized the
first Sunday-school in the township at her home. The meetings on the Lamb
place continued until the building of the school house in 1835, after which they
were held there, although no regular church appears to have been organized.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Lamb's Creek was organized ia
February, 1883, with the following members: D. L. Pralic, C. P. Puller, J. L.
Moore, Jackson Smith, H. P. Van Xess, L. A. Brewster and ,W. B. Eipley. A
church building, costing $1,600, was dedicated April 39, 1884. The church was in
the Tioga charge until 1884, since which time it has been in the Covington charge,
the same pastors serving both churches. The names of the pastors from the
organization are as follows: Eevs. J. W. Gamble, 1883; J. D. Eequa, 1883-84; P.
H. Van Keuren, 1884-87; W. M. Dubois, 1887-88; F. H. Eowley, 1890-91; D. L.
Pitts, 1891-94; Cornelius Dillenbeek, 1894-95; W. B. Armington^ 1895-97.

The First Church of Christ of Canoe Camp, incorporated April 4, 1884, was or-
ganized as the "First Christian Church of Canoe Camp," September 34, 1849, by
Eev. Theobold MiUer, its first pastor. The names of the original members
are as follows: Leander K., Amos, Valorus 0., Alonzo M. and I. E. Spencer,
Thomas, William, John and G. W. Goodall, John Churchill, J. C. Ireton, W. W.
Eussell, A. A. ISToble, Sophia, Sarah, Jane, Mary A. and Martha Spencer, Susan
and Ziba Gillet, Sophia M. and Anna M. Goodall, Cynthia Lownsbery, Jane
Churchill, Louisa, Jane E. and Eachel Noble, Lois M. Cleveland and Lavina A.
Cass. Eev. I. E. Spencer served this church as pastor for twenty years. He was
succeeded by Eev. G. W. Headley, who remained until 1884, since which time the
church has been served by Eevs. J. 0. Cutts, 1884-87; M. S. Blain, 1891; TJ. A.
White, 1891-96, and Leon J. Eeynolds, the present pastor. A store building,
previously purchased, was dedicated as a church May 19, 1851, and was used until
1880, when the present building, representing an outlay of $3,000, was erected.
This church now numbers 130 members. There are about fifty pupils in the
Sunday-school, of which M. E. Goodall is the superintendent.



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 75 of 163)