Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 76 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 76 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


EICIIMOND TOWNSHIP. 573



CEMETERIES.

The early settlers buried their dead near their homes, where they could watch
over and care for the graves. It was in this way that the private graveyards, to be
found in almost every section of the township, were established. In them reposed
the remains of the early pioneers, until the removal of the bodies to Mansfield and
other cemeteries. In a few instances, however, the old graves have remained un-
disturbed. Among the oldest of these early graveyards is the one at Lamb's Creek,
containing the remains of members of the Lamb, Eipley, Shaw and other pioneer fam-
ilies; the Eipley burying ground on the old Philip S. Eipley place — given by the will
of Philip S. Eipley to Eichmond township, and the graveyard on Lamb's creek, near
the place of W. B. Eipley. In the cemetery at Canoe Camp are found the graves of
members of the Spencer, Cass, Lownsbery, Gillet, Eowley and Stratton families.
The oldest gravestone in this cemetery marks the grave of Francis Upton Spen-
cer, who died in 1813, and who, it is said, was a soldier in the War of 1813. The
tombstones over the graves of Nathan and Anna Eowley, contains the following in-
scription: "They were the first settlers in Larabee's Point in Shoreham, Vermont,
at the close of the Eevolutionary War." A cemetery in the Whitteker neighborhood,
near the Covington township line, contains the graves of members of the Whitteker^
Jaquish, Phelps, Woodward and other families. A cemetery on the old Wells-
boro and Mansfield post road, near the Charleston township line, contains the
graves of members of the Benedict and other families, early settlers in the western
part of Eichmond and eastern part of Charleston townships.

TILLAGES.

Lamb's Creek is situated near the northern line of the township, where the
stream of the same name enters into the Tioga river. Both stream and village
were named for Gad Lamb, the pioneer, the date of whose settlement, as well as
that of other pioneers, is given in a preceding portion of this chapter. In 1813
Mr. Lamb and his sons built a saw-mill, the third in the township, on the east bank
of the river just below the present bridge. This mill, owned at the time by
Hoard & Beach, was purchased about 1858 by Michael Fralic. In 1869 a flood took
the dam away. In 1870 Mr. Pralic's sons, Daniel L. and M. H., who succeeded him m
1866, and who compose the present firm of Fralic Brothers, built a new mill on the
opposite bank of the river, which is run by steam, and has a capacity of 10,000 feet of
lumber a day. A school house was built in 1835, replaced after the late war by the
present building. A grocery store was started in 1854, by P. Davis, and a post-
office established in 1867, E. E. Haight being the first postmaster. His successors
have been Linus Thayer, D. Porter Shaw and D. L. Fralic, the present incumbent,
the office being in charge of his assistant, Mrs. Jennie Day, who also runs a general
store in connection therewith. The only other store in the place is that of Francis
Flower, born in 1811, and one of the oldest men engaged in active business in the
county. D. B. Lamb has been the station ticket agent since the railroad passed into
the hands of the "Erie." His sister, Maria Lamb, bom in 1818, has, for over
twenty years, carried the mail to and from the trains, with unvarying promptness,
and in all kinds of weather.

Canoe Camp is situated two miles south of the railway station in Mansfield, at



574 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

the confluence of Canoe Camp creek and the Tioga river. It marks the point to
which the WilHamson road was completed in 1792, and its name is said to owe its
origin to the fact that on the approach of winter the force engaged in road build-
ing embarked in canoes and floated down the river to Painted Post, New York. As
already related. Gad Lamb and his son, Daniel, stopped here, in 1797, long enough to
plant the camp clearing in com and potatoes, but did not purchase the land. The
first actual settler was Amos Spencer, who located in 1806, and by deed bearing date
March 1, 1809, became possessed of the land on which the village of Canoe Camp
stands. The previous owners were Thomas Barber and Oliver Jennings. Here
Mr. Spencer built a grist and saw-mill at the ripples on the river. These mills,
replaced by larger and more modem ones, are owned and operated by his grand-
son, A. M. Spencer. A postoffice was established in 1831 and Amos Spencer became
the first postmaster. A few years later the postofiice was removed to Mansfield.
It was re-established in April, 1868, with T. J. Jeliil as postmaster. His successors
have been M. A. Cass, P. M. Gillet and A. D. Gillet, the present incumbent, who was
appointed February 13, 1890. A hotel was carried on in the village for a number
of years, the first landlord being L. K. Spencer. Among his successors were Ed-
ward Gordon and John C. Bennett. Before the building of the railroad Alexander
Hall used to carry the mail over the Williamson road to and from Williamsport.
One of the earliest schools in the township was taught here in 1814 and 1815 by
Miss Sallie Elliott. A school has been maintained here ever since. The Church of
Christ, the only "Disciple" or "Christian" church in the township, was organized
here, September 24, 1849, by Eev. Theobold Miller. The manufacturing enter-
prises of the place are confined to the Spencer mills, already referred to, and to the
Canoe Camp Full Cream Cheese Factory, established in May, 1895, by F. E. Zim-
mer, who also operates a similar factory at East Charleston. The Canoe
Camp factory uses the milk of 300 cows daily, and produces from 700 to 800 pounds
of cheese per day. It is in charge of J. H. Mosher. The plant cost $2,000.
There are two general stores in the place, one carried on by A. W. Gillet, and the
other by A. D. Gillet, who is also the station agent and postmaster. His store
is in the depot building. The oldest living resident of the place is Isaac Lowns-
bery, born in 1811, who has lived there since 1818. The bam on his place was
built in 1827.

Mardin is the name of a postofiice in the western part of the township, on
the "Old Post Eoad." It was established in 1879. 0. M. Patchen, the first post-
master, held the office until June 21, 1883, when H. N. Spear, the present in-
cumbent, was appointed.



CHAPTEE XLIX.

MANSFIELD BOROUGH.

Location and Surroundings— Eaely Settlers and Enterprises— Borough Or-
ganization AND Officials— Fire Department- Postmasters, Physicians and
Lawyers— Hotels— Public Schools— Mansfield Classical Seminary— The
Mansfield State Normal School— The Soldiers' Orphan Home— Business
Colleges— Later Industries and Enterprises— Newspapers— Churches and
Cemeteries— Societies.



THE borough of Mansfield is situated east of the geographical center of Rich-
mond township. Its area embraces a little more than two square miles, lies
principally on the east side of the Tioga river, and is traversed throughout its
entire length by the Tioga railroad. Corey creek enters the borough from the
east, north of the center, flows northwest, and empties into the Tioga river near
the northwest comer of the borough area. Though somewhat broken north of
Corey creek, and along the sides of the river valley, the borough site is, as a whole,
comparatively level, and is well drained and healthful. The altitude, railroad level,
is 1,140 feet above the sea. The population, in 1890, was 1,763.

The site of the borough is one of the most beautiful spots in the Tioga
valley. The boldness and ruggedness of the hills, on either side of the narrow
gap through which the river flows into Tioga township, are here toned down to
gentler slopes, permitting them to be cultivated, from base to summit, and giving
to the scene a varied beauty that attracts and enchants the beholder. The
valley, for miles up and down the river, and the uplands, that stretch away on
either side, abound in well-cultivated farms, and are dotted with sightly farm
homes, the abodes of thrift, comfort and culture, while the borough itself, with
its well-built business center, its sightly normal school buildings, and its many
handsome private residences, gives outward evidences of progress and pros-
perity.

early settlers and entbepkises.

Benjamin Corey, the first white man to settle within the borough limits,
came early in 1797, and lived, with his wife and children, in a bark hut on the
east side of the Tioga river, west of the present railroad bridge over Corey creek,
which stream was named after him. In the fall he built a log house, Daniel
and Harry Lamb, then living at Lamb's Creek, assisting at the raising. Corey's
wife died, and he took her remains in a canoe to the mouth of the Cowanesque,
and buried them. He soon afterwards removed to Angelica, New York.

Henry Daniels, a surveyor, and Edward Gobin, a deputy surveyor, under the
Pennsylvania title, came about 1802 and occupied the Corey cabin. One morn-
ing, as Gobin opened the door of the cabin, he was shot through the back and



576 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

hips, by some one concealed behind a pine stump, on the opposite side of the
river. It was supposed that the bullet was intended for Daniels, and that the
shooting was done by a Connecticut claimant. A surgeon, brought by Harry
Lamb, from Newtown, now Elmira, New York, dressed Gobin's wound. He re-
covered, and afterwards moved to Korthumberland county.

The first persons, however, to permanently settle within the borough limits,
were John, Peter and Jacob Kelts, who, with their father, came from the Mohawk
valley, New York, in 1804 or 1805, and occupied the Corey cabin. Jacob was
afterwards kicked by a horse and killed. John married Abigail Button, and
built a house on a knoll, southwest of the present cemetery. Here, in 1814,
Sobrine Kelts, who resides just south of the borough limits, was born. He is the
oldest living person bom in the borough. Peter, who was a carpenter, built a
frame house, the first one here, about 1810 or 1813. It stood near the site after-
wards occupied by the Mart King factory. He married Sally, a daughter of
Major Elijah Putnam, January 1, 1818, and became a resident of Coviagton town-
ship. Ebenezer Burley, a Eevolutionary soldier, came in 1808,. and settled north
of Corey creek, east of the Williamson road. Dr. Stillman Cannon, the first
physician, came in 1813, remained two years, and lived in one of the Kelts' houses.
Alpheus Button came in 1815, and built a house near the entrance to Smythe
Park. Daniel Holden, the pioneer merchant, came from Albany, New York, in
1819, and located at Canoe Camp. In 1820 he removed to Mansfield, and settled on
200 acres of land, now forming a portion of the properties of D. H. Pitts and
P. V. Van Ness. In 1822 he began merchandising in a small way. In 1824 he
erected the residence, on the west side of Main street, now occupied by P. V.
Van Ness. It is the oldest building in the borough. In 1826 he built, across the
road from his residence, the first store in Mansfield. Here he carried on business
until his death, September 4, 1830. His son, John A. Holden, bom in 1821, is
the oldest person bom in, and now a resident of, the borough. In 1822 Almon
' Allen, a son of Lieut. Jacob Allen, then residing in the township, came here from
Cummington, Massachusetts. His brother-in-law, Solon Eichards, came about
the same time. In 1824 they built a woolen factory, near the northwest comer
of Smythe Park, which they afterwards sold to Isaac Drake, who, with his sons,
John and Peter, carried it on for many years. It was twice destroyed by fire.
This factory ceased operations before 1860, and the building, since removed, is
now occupied by the planing-mill, sash and door factory, of Edward Doane &
Company.

About the year 1824, Asa Mann, a native of Ehode Island, who, as early as
1804, had settled in the township, below the borough, purchased from John and
Peter Kelts 200 acres of land, the greater part of which is now occupied by the
borough business center. In the same year, he cleared some thirty acres of this
land, which soon became known as "Mann's field." A year or two later, when
he laid out his land in town lots, this name attached itself to the village, which,
with the passing years, has become the prosperous and progressive borough of
to-day. Mr. Mann built a distillery on the site afterwards occupied by the
Spencer photograph gallery, and, about 1830, erected a saw-mill near the old
woolen-mill. A house, built in 1827 or 1828, on the southwest comer of Main




Qj^0Ay^UZ.



'ifZ/lx^



MANSFIELD BOKOUGH. 577



and Wellsboro streets, by Barrett Clark, was occupied, for a time, by Asa Mann,
as a hotel, preTious to its purchase by Col. Samuel Hunt, in 1828. Asa Mann
and his son, William B. Mann, had a store from 1833 or 1833 to 1839, on the site
of the building now occupied by Eose Brothers. In the last-named year Asa
Mann removed to Peru, Illinois, where he died July 8, 1843, aged sixty-one years.

About 1834, also, Chandler Mann came here from Otsego county, New York,
and built a tannery — said to have been the first in the county — on the west side
of Main street, near Corey creek. Hezekiah Gaylord, a native of Connecticut,
came in 1833 and located at Kelleytown. In 1834 he moved to Mansfield. Dr.
Dexter Parkhurst is credited with coming the same year. In 1835 his brother,
Joel Parkhurst, afterwards a prominent business man of Elkland, came from New
Hampshire, and kept a few goods for sale in an upper room of the doctor's house.
He remained but a few months. Benjamin Peterson, the first representative of
the negro race here, came about the same time and lived with Dr. Parkhurst. Col.
Samuel Hunt came from Lebanon, Madison county, New York, in 1838, and
opened a hotel in the building, on the corner of Main and Wellsboro streets, erected
by Barrett Clark. He became a well known and popular landlord. His daughter,
Mrs. Gurdon Fuller, who was born in 1830, is now a resident of Mansfield.

Oliver Whittaker, who had previously conducted a store for Daniel Holden,
in Sylvania, came in 1831, and lived in a house on the northeast comer of Main
and Wellsboro streets. Lorin Butts came from Lawrenceville in 1833, and settled
in the southern part of the borough, on the place where his daug'hter, Miss Byrissa
B. Butts, now resides. Eodney C. Shaw, a son of Joshua Shaw, a pioneer settler
at Lamb's Creek, moved here in 1835. His widow, born in 1808, the oldest per-
son living in the borough, occupies the old home at the northern end of Main
street. ApoUos Pitts, father of D. H., John P. and the late Aaron M. Pitts, came
here from Sullivan township in 1837, and became prominent as a merchant. The
late Philip Williams, of the banking house of Eoss & Williams, came the same
year. Capt. Ezra Davis settled here in 1838, and in 1840 built the brick tannery,
now carried on by C. S. Kingsley. Abram Shuart, the blacksmith, also came in
1838. B. W. Hazard, the first lawyer, and Benjamin M. Bailey, afterwards promi-
nent as a merchant, located here in 1840. Benjamin Gitchell, who had previously
lived in Charleston township, and had served as sheriff of the county, built the
first brick house here in 1841. It is still standing on the west side of South
Main street.

In 1843 Dr. Joseph P. Morris, a man destined to do much for the progress
and prosperity of Mansfield, came here from Blossburg, having previously pur-
chased, from James E. Wilson, for $13,000, 1,100 acres of land — the Asa Mann
property. After residing here until 1846, Dr. Morris removed to Wellsboro, where
he remained until 1853, when he returned to Mansfield, and, in 1857, had the
greater part of his land, lying east of the river, plotted into town lots. Oliver H.
Phelps came here in 1843, and in 1850 built a hotel, on the west side of Main
street, south of Corey creek. Amos Bixby came in 1844, and in 1845, with Edward
Faulkner, Gurdon Fuller and John A. Holden, built a number of canal boats for
use on the Erie canal. Joseph S. Hoard came in 1844, and LjTnan Beach,
with whom he was for a number of years associated in business, in 1845. Mart

37



578 HISTOHT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

King, who for several years carried on a furniture factory, came from Washing-
ton county, 'New York, in 1845. L. H. Elliott and his sons, Dr. Charles V. and
Simon B. Elliott, came in 1847-48; William Hollands, the harness maker, in 1850;
Dr. William M. Harden, the first homeopathic physician, in 1852; Henry Allen,
the well known lawyer, and the first burgess, in 1854; A. J. Boss, one of the
founders of the banking house of Eoss & Williams, in 1855, and Clark W. Bailey,
for many years identified with the milling and mercantile business of the borough,
in 1857.

The foregoing names are those of the men most prominently identified with
the history of Mansfield previous to its incorporation as a borough. To them
belongs the credit of its early upbuilding. They changed the site on which it
stands from a dense wilderness to a thrifty and progressive village, and paved the
way for the greater achievements of more recent years. All, except a few, who
came in the later decades, have passed away, leaving behind them a record of
honesty, integrity, sobriety and untiring industry. Mansfield, the village of yes-
terday, the borough of to-day, stands as a lasting monument to their memory, and
is a fitting testimonial to their earnest, honorable and useful lives.

B0E0U6H OEGANIZATION AND OFFICIALS.

On November 28, 1856, a petition was filed in the court of quarter sessions
of Tioga county, asking for the incorporation of Mansfield as a borough, and de-
fining its proposed boundaries. The petition was favorably acted upon, and an
election ordered to take place March 27, 1857, at the- house of 0. H. Phelps. At
this election the following-named persons were chosen as the first officers of the
borough: Henry Allen, burgess; P. Gaylord, L. H. Elliott, J. M. Cassels, H.
Davis and M. Kelley, councilman. The first meeting of the council was held
April 3, 1857, and S. B. Elliott elected secretary, and H. Davis, treasurer, of the
borough. Following are the names of those who have filled the office of burgess
since 1857: John A. Holden, 1858; S. B. Elliott, 1859; Mart King, 1860-61;
A. J. Eoss, 1862; Philip Williams, 1863; Mart King, 1864; W. D. Lang, 1865;
Henry Allen, 1866; J. T. Streit, 1867; H. B. Middaugh, 1868; W. Hollands, 1869-
70; H. B. Middaugh, 1871 ; J. S. Murdough, 1872-73; Mart King, 1874-75; D.
H. Pitts, 1876; C. H. VerriU, 1877; W. Hollands, 1878; D. H. Pitts, 1879; E.
Blackwell, 1880; C. V. Elliott, M. D., 1881; T. H. Bailey, 1882-83; H. E. Met-
calf, 1884; D. H. Pitts, 1885; T. H. Bailey, 1886-87-88-89; H. E. Metcalf, 1890-91;
C. S. Kingsley, 1892; W. D. Husted, 1893; J. M. Barden, M. D., 1894; P. E.
Van Keuren, 1895-96, and J. S. Shepard, elected in 1897.

The office of justice of the peace has been filled by the following-named per-
sons: William Adams, 1862; re-elected, 1872, 1877, 1890; Lyman Beach, Jr.,
1862; re-elected, 1867; Edward E. Webster, 1867; J. W. Wilhelm, 1872: 0. D.
Goodenough, 1876; B. E. Bailey, 1880; re-elected, 1890, 1895; IST. A. Elliott, 1882;
Mart King, 1885; E. W. Clark, 1886; S. G. Ehinevault, 1887; J. A. Moody,
1891; re-elected, 1896.

FIEE DEPARTMENT.

The Mansfield Hook and Ladder Company, No. 1, was organized December
27, 1880, and chartered December 24, 1883. It is officered as follows: Frank



MANSFIELD BOEOUGH. 579



W. Clark, president; W. A. Eowland, vice-president; W. D. Husted, treasurer; J.
A. Elliott, secretary; Charles S. Eoss, foreman, and M. S. French and T. H. Bailey,
assistant foremen.

A. M. Pitts Hose Company, No. 2, was organized July 33, 1893, with the
following oflBcers: Frank Lawrence, president; Eugene Hall, vice-president;
Herbert Criggs, foreman; Arthur Brown, assistant foreman; D. L. Miller, second
assistant foreman; Jerome Mann, secretary; Mort Johnson, assistant secretary;
Clarence Eohler, treasurer; Fred. Gaige, Eugene Hall and Warren Baynes, trustees.

Allen Hose Company, No. S, was organized August 1, 1893, with the follow-
ing officers: Eay C. Longbothum, president; George H. Weeks, vice-president;
John Shaw, secretary; W. A. ■ McCausland, treasurer; K. Leon Buck, foreman;
E. M. Dorsett, first assistant, and Burt J. Bixby, second assistant foreman.

Each of these companies is handsomely uniformed, and is made up of an
active, enthusiastic and efficient membership. The department is under the com-
mand of Judson A. Elliott, fire chief of the borough.

POSTMASTERS, PHYSICIAN'S AND LAVTYEHS.

A postoffice was established at Canoe Camp in 1833. The first postmaster
was Amos Spencer. A few years later it was removed to Mansfield, and Asa Mann
appointed postmaster. He held the office until 1839. It has been a difficult mat-
ter to secure the names of his successors in the order of their service. The follow-
ing, however, is believed to be an approximately correct list: Simeon F. Utter,
Oliver Whittaker, Philemon Doud, Apollos Pitts, Benjamin Bailey, Michael Col-
ville, 0. H. Phelps, Mrs. Mary Euckman, Dr. C. V. Elliott, V. E. Pratt, M. L.
Clark, Col. N. A- Elliott, J. A. Elliott and the present incumbent, John L. Cum-
mings, appointed August 16, 1894.

The first physician to locate in Mansfield was Dr. Stillman Cannon, who
came in 1813. Dr. Dexter Parkhurst came in 1834, and had an office near the
entrance to Smythe Park. He remained until 1830, and then removed to Maines-
burg. Dr. Harmon Whitehead located here about 1833. Dr. H. G. Smythe was
here as early as 1838. Dr. C. V. Elliott came in 1847; Dr. William M. Barden,
the pioneer homeopathist, in 1853, and practiced till his death, September 30,
1884; Dr. J. A. Cole, in 1868, and remained a number of years. Dr. John M.
Barden, son of Dr. William M. Barden, practiced here from 1881 to 1895, when
he removed to Eoseville. The profession is now represented by Dr. Benjamin
Moody, Dr. Wentworth D. Vedder, Dr. Fred. D. Elliott and Dr. Frederick Green
Wood. The profession of dentistry is represented by Oramel Newell.

The first lawyer to locate in Mansfield was E. W. Hazard, who was here
before 1840. Henry Allen came in 1854, and practiced till his death, in 1888.
William Adams moved from Tioga township in 1855, and practiced law and
served as justice of the peace over forty years. S. B. Elliott was admitted but
did not practice. J. H. Handy was here a short time. A. J. Webster came in
1870 and remained three or four years. J. C. Horton came later remaining two
years. B. J. Cosky came in 1890 and remained until 1894. Douglas H. Griffin
came from Canton in April, 1895, and formed a partnership with Leon S. Chan-
nell, which continued until Mr. Griffin's death, from accidental shooting, in



ggQ HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.



October, 1895. The present members of the bar of this borough, are Frajik W.
Clark, admitted to practice February 5, 1866; John W. Adams, admitted in No-
vember, 1867, and Leon S. Channell, admitted June 3, 1893.



HOTELS.

About 1837 Barrett Clark erected a building on the northeast corner of Main
and Wellsboro streets, in which Asa Mann kept hotel for a short time. In 1828
Capt. Samuel Hunt, who came from Madison county. New York, bought the
property and carried on the hotel for a number of years. The house was burned
in 1849, Aaron Ingalls being the landlord at that time. In the following year
the house now occupied by B. E. Baily as a farm implement warehouse, was
built for a hotel by Capt. Samuel Hunt and Gurdon Puller, who kept it for
several years. In 1850 Oliver "W. Phelps erected a hotel building on the west
side of Main street, south of Corey creek, in which he kept hotel until his death
in 1863. The building now known as the Hotel French, was originally a
private residence. When first used for hotel purposes it was known as the Fuller
House. It has had many landlords. In December, 1896, the property was pur-
chased by M. S. French, for several years landlord of the Allen House, and was
remodeled and occupied by him in the spring of 1897. A brick building on Sher-
wood street, near the railroad, originally a private residence, was transformed into a
hotel about 1877, with P. V. Clark as landlord, and was known as the Grand Central
Hotel. The Allen House, used for several years after its erection for the Soldiers'
Orphan School, is now owned by Thomas H. Bailey, ex-county commissioner, who
purchased it of Mrs. Jane M. Allen in December, 1896. In April, 1897, Mr. Bailey
took charge of the hotel and is the present landlord.

PUBLIC SCTIOOLS.



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 76 of 163)