Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 77 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 77 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


During the winter of 1831-32, a school was taught by Susanna Allen, a
daughter of Lieut. Jacob Allen, in the dwelling house of John Kelts. This was the
first school within the borough limits. Between 1833 and 1826, her sister, Philena
Allen, taught in a house, built in 1815 for a dwelling by Alpheus Button, near
the entrance of Smythe Park. In 1836 a plank school house was built, a few
rods south of Wellsboro street, on land now embraced in the right of way of the
railroad. The first school was taught here during the winter of 1827-38, by W.
C. Eipley. In 1838, after the taking effect of the public school law, a two-story
frame school building was erected on the southeast comer of Academy and
Wellsboro streets, and used for school purposes until 1881, when the present
graded school building was erected. The old building is now used as a dwelling.
The new building, including grounds, furniture, etc., cost over $13,000. It is a
handsome brick edifice, beautifully located south of Wellsboro street, near the
river. The school is now practically conducted as a department of the State
Normal School, the grades below the High School being carried on as a model
school of that institution.

MANSFIELD CLASSICAL SEMINARY.

To the late Col. Joseph S. Hoard belongs the credit of first suggesting the
estabUshment in Mansfield of an institution of learning of a higher grade



MANSFIELD BOHOTTGH. 58^^



than tlie average country academy. It was made in May or June, 1854, to Dr.
Joseph P. Morris, Eev. H. N". Seaver, AMn Gaylord and a few others. The first
to give encouragement was Dr. Morris, who joined Colonel Hoard in creating a
sentiment in favor of the proposed school. The matter was brought before the
quarterly conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, July 9, 1854, during a
camp-meeting held at L. D. Seeley's farm, in Sullivan township, where the friends
of the enterprise gathered in Col. R. C. Shaw's tent. The conference not being
prepared to act, a meeting was appointed for the following Monday in the
Methodist Episcopal church in Mansfield. At this meeting it was resolved to
hold a public meeting in the same church July 26, 1854. This meeting was
an enthusiastic one. The nature of the enterprise was explained, and a paper
presented for signatures, proposing the formation of a stock company with shares
at $50 each. There was a stipulation that the school should be under the pat-
ronage of the East Genesee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, but
in no sense, was it to be a church or sectarian school. The principal was, how-
ever, to be a member of that church. A committee, consisting of Colonel Hoard,
Eev. William Manning, Alvin Gaylord, E. C. Shaw, Hon. D. L. Sherwood, Lyman
Beach, Jr., and others, was appointed to solicit subscriptions.

On August 8, 1854, the subscriptions having reached $5,000, a committee
was appointed to present the claims of the enterprise to the East Genesee Con-
ference. This was done, and the conference appointed five commissioners, with
discretionary powers to investigate and decide whether support should be pledged.
In the meantime, citizens of Wellsboro concluded that such an institution would
be a good thing for their village. The result was a warm contest between the
two places. The commissioners, however, decided in favor of Mansfield.

A charter was seciired for the "Mansfield Classical Seminary," the first
meeting under it held December 1, 1854, and the following ofiieers and trustees
elected: Col. J. S. Hoard, president; Dr. C. V. Elliott and R. P. Buttles, vice-
presidents; Dr. Joseph P. Morris, recording secretary; B. M. Bailey and S. B.
Elliott, corresponding secretaries; Lyman Beach, Jr., treasurer; William M. John-
son, librarian, and Eev. William Manning, T. L. Baldwin, G. E. Wilson, Eev. A.
Sherwood, Eev. Eichard Videon, Joseph Hubbell, Lyman Eeynolds, Hon. D. L.
Sherwood, Dr. Joseph P. Morris, William K. Kimball, J. B. Clark, B. M. Bailey
and Lyman Beach, Jr., trustees.

At the first meeting of the trustees, held February 15, 1855, a plan for a
brick building, four stories high, 100 feet front, with two wings, each seventy-
eight feet high, was adopted, and the building erected under the supervision of
Col. J. S. Hoard, Hon. D. L. Sherwood and Amos Bixby. April 17, 1856, the
board elected Eev. J. E. and Mrs. H. L. Jaques, principal and preceptress, at a
combined salary of $900 per annum. The seminary was formally opened January
7, 1857, with 105 students. The building when finished and furnished repre-
sented an outlay of nearly $20,000, with an indebtedness of $6,000.

The second term of school began April 16, 1857, with 150 students. Six days
later the building burned to the ground, the fire occurring about 10 o'clock in
the morning. It was insured for $12,000. The night following the fire, the
friends and promoters of the institution held a meeting, resolved to rebuild, and



682 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

subscribed $4,000. "Work was at once begun, and by September 1, the greater
portion of the first story of the south building was erected. The panic of that
year, the refusal of one insurance company to pay, and the collapse of another,
rendered the trustees unable to meet payments. Work was suspended and a
long struggle with financial difficulties ensued. Finally, an enthusiasm, born of
despair took possession of the people, even to women and children, and at a picnic
held August 20, 1858, oyer $4,000 was subscribed, the subscriptions being payable
in labor, board, grain, provisions, sewing, lumber, cattle, everything merchantable,
in sums from twenty-five cents to $100.

August 35, 1858, the trustees resolved to proceed with the building, but to
incur no indebtedness. P. M. Clark, William Hollands and S. B. Elliott were
appointed a building committee. Work was begun and carried forward under
many difficulties. Though incomplete, the institution was re-opened Novem-
ber 23, 1859, with thirty students. Eev. James Landreth was principal, and Miss
Julia A. Hosmer preceptress.

In November, 1859, S. B. Elliott was elected president. Professor Landreth
resigned in July, 1860, and was succeeded by Eev. William B. Holt, with Prof.
E. Wildman, assistant. At the annual election all but four of the old officers
were retired and a new building committee elected. Eev. N. Fellows was chosen
president, and Eev. E. A. Drake, treasurer. January 19, 1861, Mr. Drake was
appointed general agent and manager, and all assets, subscriptions and debts were
assigned to him. Troublous times followed, and the friends of the institution
had a struggle to keep it from falling into the sherifl-'s hands; They finally suc-
ceeded. Professor Holt resigned April 4, 1861, and was succeeded by Professor
Wildman. At the annual election in November, the old officers were, for the
most part, restored. Eev. W. Cochran was elected president, and Professor Wild-
man, treasurer. Mr. Drake resigned as manager. At this time Mr. Drake, Eev.
Eichard Videan and J. C. Howe — ^who had been misled and nearly ruined,
financially— held a number of judgments against the institution, which they had
purchased, and repeated attempts were made to"sell it at sheriff's sale. In the
face of these obstacles, the work of completing the buildings was carried on by the
trustees.

In the meantime a proposition to make the institution a State Normal
School had been discussed, and during the winter of 1861-63, S. B. Elliott, who
was in the state legislature, worked zealously with that end in view. July 3, 'l863,
the trustees, by unanimous vote, made application to the State to have the in-
stitution changed to a State Normal School. December 11, 1862, the examiaers
appointed by the governor, and by Dr. Burroughs, superintendent of common
schools, met at Mansfield, and, after examination, reported favorably and on De-
cember 12, the Mansfield Classical Seminaiy passed out of existence and was suc-
ceeded by the State Normal School of the Fifth district, being the third in the
State to be recognized, Millersville and Edinboro preceding it.

THE MANSFIELB STATE NOEMAL SCHOOL.

The Change of the Mansfield Classical Seminary to a State Normal School,
did not immediately relieve its financial embarrassment, and "sheriff's tracks



MANSFIELD BOROUGH. 583



conld be seen approaching it from all directions." January 20^, 1864, through the
efforts of Eev. W. Cochran, William Hollands, Dr. Joseph P. Morris and S. B.
Elliott, Hon. John Magee generously loaned the institution $6,500, and on
January 1, 1867, made the trustees a New Year's present of $3,333.50, the un-
paid balance of that amount. The first legislative appropriation, made in the
winter of 1863, amounted to $5,000, since which time the State has dealt
generously with the institution.

Rev. "W. D. Taylor was elected principal March 19, 1863, and held the position
until July 13, 1864, when he was succeeded by Prof. Pordyee A. Allen, elected
for five vears. Under Professor Allen's administration the school prospered. He
and the president, S. B. Elliott, who had succeeded Eev. W. Cochran, de-
voted themselves to its upbuilding and to the work of placing it on a firm
financial basis. February 16, 1869, Professor Allen resigned, and on May 20,
1869, Prof. J. T. Streit was chosen to succeed him. He died November 13, 1869,
and January 7, 1870, Prof. Charles H. Verrill was elected principal. He was suc-
ceeded in September, 1873, by Prof. J. N. Fradenburgh, who served until Sep-
tember, 1875, when Professor Verrill was again elected. In September, 1877,
Prof. Fordyce A. Allen was again made principal, and in November, Prof. John
H. French, LL. D., was elected associate principal. He resigned September 6,
1878. Professor Allen died February 11, 1880, and Prof. J. C. Doane filled out
the remainder of the school year. In September, 1880, Prof. D. C. Thomas was
elected principal. He resigned February 1, 1892, to talce effect at the close of
the school year, and was succeeded by Prof. Samuel H. Albro, the present prin-
cipal, who is assisted by a facility of able and experienced educators.

After the change to a. State Normal School, the work of completing the un-
finished buildings was pushed forward. Since then old buildings have been re-
modeled and new ones erected, until the institution is one of the best in the State
in respect to the character and extent of its buildings. The buildings recently
completed and those in contemplation will place it, so far as architecture and
appropriate equipment can do so, in the very front rank of the normal schools
of the country. The seminary building, accepted by the State, was the main
portion of the present South Hall, a brick structure 150x50 feet, and four stories
high. It was remodeled and enlarged in 1889. In this building are the gentle-
men's dormitories, six recitation rooms and the text book library. The North
Hall is 270x100 feet, and five stories high, and cost $150,000. It contains the
office of the principal, an elegant dining room, finished in oak, with a seating
capacity of 500, the kitchen, bakery, etc., dormitories, for the ladies, reception
rooms, suits of rooms for the art department, and the Normal School of Music.
The Normal School of Music, which is in charge of Hamlin E. Cogswell, has
grown to be an important department of the institution, and has a special faculty
devoted to vocal and instrumental instruction. Two stories of an "L," project-
ing from the northeast corner of the North Hall, are set apart as an infirmary,
and are furnished with every appliance for the sick. The Alumni Hall — named
for the Alumni Assocation — is located midway between the North and South
Halls. It is 117x54 feet, and three stories high. It contains the model school
rooms, recitation rooms, the society rooms, and a concert hall, which occupies one



584 HISTOET OF TIOGA OOTJNTT.

entire story. It was completed in 1886, at a cost of $35,000. The bell which
swings in its tower, and which cost $550, was given by the Alumni Association in
June, 1886. All the buildings named are of brick, and the style of architecture
is sightly and attractive. The gymnasium is a frame building, 130x50 jfeet,
situated in the rear of the South Hall. It contains a large drill hall, a library
and reading room, one for the military company, one for cabinet specimens and
a ladies' dressing room. It was erected in 1888, at a cost of $7,000. The grounds
embrace ten acres, and are beautifully laid out in lawns, and covered with a great
variety of forest trees. In 1895 the value of grounds, buildiags, furniture, library,
etc., amounted to a total of $305,000. The State aid to 1895 amounted to
$245,000, making a total, with stock and subscriptions, of $268,050.

The management of the institution is confided to a board of trustees, eighteen
in number, twelve of whom represent the stockholders and six the State. Pour
of the former and two of the latter are elected each year. Those representing
the stockholders are ,7. C. Howe, Charles S. Boss, Joseph S. Hoard and Volney
Eipley, whose terms of office expire in 1899; A. M. Spencer, J. A. Elliott, Dr.
John M. Barden and H. F. Kingsley, whose terms expire in 1898, and D. H.
Pitts, Dr. "W. D. Vedder, E. L Sperry and F. E. Van Keuren, whose terms expire
in 1897. Representing the State — Benton E. James, Montrose; Lee Brooks,
Canton; whose terms of office expire in 1899; Hon. H. B. Packer, Wellsboro, and
Dr. F. Q. Elliott, Mansfield, whose terms expire in 1898, and David Cameron,
Wellsboro, and F. M. Allen, Mansfield, whose terms expire in 1897. The honorary
trustees are Hon. S. B. Elliott, Hon. C. V. Elliott, Peter V. Van Ness and Albert
Sherwood. The officers of the board are, D. H. Pitts, president; J. A. Elliott,
secretary, and Edward H. Boss, treasurer.

The Alumni Association of the State Normal School of Mansfield was chartered
February 11, 1871. Its object is "to encourage and foster among the graduates
of the State ^STormal School," "the spirit of friendship and self-improvement by
an annual re-union." The present officers are, W. W. Allen, president; C. J.
Beach, vice-president; Jennie Parrer Avery, secretary; Joseph S. Hoard, treasurer,
and F. M. Allen, Anna Peck Capell, Maud Gates, Mary L. Shaw and Lucy Ransom
Longstreet, executive committee.

SOLDIEKS' ORPHAN HOME.

This institution was founded by Prof. F. A. Allen, who opened it October 1,
1867, having previously made application to the superintendent of Soldiers'
Orphans for twenty-five boys and twenty-five girls. The school was first kept in
an old store building, but later larger and better buildings were secured, one of
them being the present Allen House. The attendance the first year was sixty-
three pupils. Each year witnessed an increase, until there were over 200 pupils
in the school. In 1872 a farm of 150 acres near the borough was purchased, in
order to give employment and instruction to the boys. After Professor Allen's
death, in 1880, his widow carried on the school, assisted by Vine R. Pratt, who
had been connected with it almost from the beginning. In 1890 the schoo'l was
moved to Hartford, and J. Miller Clark, of Mansfield, appointed superintendent.




^^^A^^s^i^^



MANSFIELD BOEOUGH. 585



BUSINESS COLLEGES.

The Mansfield Business College was opened in the spring of 1883, the of&eers
being Eev. J. T. Brownell, president; C. S. Eoss, secretary; E. D. Westbrook,
principal of penmanship department; C. V. Ireton, principal of department of
telegraphy; Hugh Eoss, principal of department of phonography. In 1886 T.
P. Jones succeeded to the management. He was succeeded by J. N. Smoot, who
carried it on until 1894, when it was discontinued.

The Allen Business College was opened in May, 1883, by P. M. Allen, who
carried it on for two years, when he became connected with the Williamsport
Commercial College and discontinued his school here.

LATER INDUSTRIES AND ENTERPRISES.

TU Mansfield Tannery, the oldest manufacturing enterprise in the borough,
was established in 1840, by Capt. Ezra Da\ds. In the fall of 1865 Ealph E.
Kingsley acquired a half interest in it, and in 1868 became sole owner. He
associated with him his son, C. S. Kingsley, and the firm continued as E. E. Kings-
ley & Son, until the father's death, December 36, 1893, since which time C. S.
Kingsley has carried on the business. It is devoted to the tanning of upper leather,
has a capacity of 80 to 100 sides per day, and gives work to ten employes.

The Sun Milling Company— the principal proprietary interest being in
Charles S. Eoss— operates the roller grist-mill in the western part of the borough.
This mill was established as a water-power, buhr-mill, in 1850, by Terrence
Smythe. In 1857 it was purchased by Clark W. Bailey, and operated by himself,
his sons, T. H. and J. W. Bailey, and lesees, until 1890, when it passed into the
hands of the Sun Milling Company. It is now a full roller-mill, has a capacity
of seventy-five barrels a day, and is devoted to merchant and custom work.
"Water and steam power are both used. A. "W. Stephenson is manager, and H.
B. Breon, superintendent.

The Tioga Iron Worhs, for many yeaxs Mansfield's most important manufac-
turing enterprise, was established in 1854, by a company with $50,000 capital, con-
sisting of John F. Donaldson, Dr. Joseph P. Morris, S. F. Wilson and William
Bache, for the purpose of manufacturing pig iron from ore obtainable three miles
west of the borough. The furnace was erected by Charles F. Swan. The plant
afterwards became the property of Sehaaber & Johnston, of Eeading, who operated
it until about 1870, when it was shut down. In 1883 Col. E". A. Elliott was appointed
the agent of the owners to dispose of the plant and real estate, which he has since
sold.

Bailey's Steam Saw-Mill was erected in 1860 by Clark W. Bailey. In it was
used the first circular saw seen in this section. In 1866 Mr. Bailey sold it to his
sons, T. H. and J. W. Bailey. It was burned in 1877 and rebuilt and burned again
in 1889, and not rebuilt.

Edward Doane & Company have, since 1881, operated a planing-mill, sash and
door factory in the old woolen-factory building near the depot. This enterprise
was started in 1868 by S. B. Elliott, with whom M. L. Clark was afterwards asso-
ciated.



586 HISTOET OP TIOGA COUNTY.

Mart King's Furniture Factory was built in 1869^ on the west side of the rail-
road, northwest from the depot, by Mart King. It was first devoted to the manu-
facture of bedsteads. On December 24, 1870, it was destroyed by fire, rebuilt in
the following spring, and a general line of furniture manufactured. July 4, 1884,
it was again destroyed by fire, but was not rebuilt. At this time Mr. King was
operating, in connection with it, a steam laundry, which was doing a laxge business.

The Banking House of Boss & Williams was established May 34, 1872, by
Andrew J. Eoss and Philip Williams. Mr. Eoss remained the senior partner until
his death, August 18, 1875. In the summer of 1878, having become of age, his
oldest son, Charles S. Eoss, who had previously been employed as a clerk, entered
the partnership as the representative of his father's interest. Mr. "Williams died
in July, 1894, and Mr. Eoss carried on the business until January 1, 1895, as sur-
viving partner, when he became sole proprietor. The use of the old name is con-
tinued. This bank is ably and conservatively managed and is regarded as one of
the strongest and soundest financial institutions in this section of the State.

Smyfhe Parle, situated near the central part of the borough, on what was for-
merly known as the "Island," contains twenty-five acres of land. It was opened
in July, 1879, and named after Dr. H. G. Smythe. It is owned and managed by
the Smythe Park Association, incorporated, the officers of which are as follows:

C. S. Eose, president; D. J. Butts, vice-president; J. A. Elliott, secretary, and W.

D. Husted, treasurer. Here is held annually the Mansfield agricultural, mechanical
and industrial fair. The park is also used for picnics, ball games, bicycle races, etc.
Except during the fair or other special occasions, when an admission is charged,
this park is open to the public.

The New Era Mills, on Main street near Corey creek, were erected in 1882 by
the New Era Manufacturing Company, composed of Albert Sherwood, L. L. Flower,
Clark B. Sherwood and Andrew Sherwood. The plant, which originally consisted
of a four-run steam grist-mill and a clothes pin factory, cost $12,000. The clothes
pin factory has been discontinued. Since July, 1893, the grist-mill has been
operated by Strait & Kingsley. It is devoted to merchant and custom milling.

The Boss Cigar Company, composed of C. S. and E. H. Eoss, is the successor
of the Voorhees Cigar Company, established in Mansfield May 1, 1884. The present
company has owned the factory since May 1, 1889. About sixty hands are em-
ployed and 10,000 cigars a day manufactured. The principal brands are the
"Supreme Court" and the "Sidman." The factory is located on the east side of
Main street, south of Wellsboro street.

The Mansfield Opera House Company (Limited), proprietors of the Mansfield
Opera House, was incorporated November 19, 1888, the incorporators being the
members of the Mansfield Hook and Ladder Company. The first officers were Frank

E. Yan Keuren, president; A. E. Backer, secretary; C. S. Eoss, treasurer, and Frank
E. Van Keuren, C. S. Eoss, A. E. Backer, H. E. Metcalf and John Van Osten, man-
agers. The opera house is a handsome two-story brick, on the north side of Wells-
boro street, east of Main street. The borough building, also, a two-story brick, in
which are located the borough oifices and the fire department, adjoins it on the
west.

The Mansfield Foundry and Machine Shops, on South Main street, were estab-



MANSFIELD BOROUGH. 587



lished in 1890 by Moore & Hanson, who were succeeded in 1892 by Moore & Tomlin-
son. The plant is devoted to the manufacture of agricultural implements and to
general repairing.

The Paisley Woolen Company, capital $40,000, was organized September 31,
1892, with the following officers: Alexander McLachlan, president and superin-
tendent; Charles S. Eoss, secretary; Philip Williams, treasurer. The plant, which
comprises the latest improved machinery, occupies a building 150x50, with an engine
room 100x25 feet, in the southern part of the borough, and is devoted to the manu-
facture of shawls.

'The Mansfield Board of Trade was incorporated April 8, 1892, with the follow-
ing officers: H. F. Kingsley, president; Dr. J. M. Barden, first vice-president; F.
W. Clark, second vice-president; W. D. Husted, secretary; M. L. Clark, treasurer,
and P. Williams, D. H. Pitts and D. J. Butts, trustees. There were 123 charter
members. The object of this association is "the promotion of the prosperity of
Mansfield, and the advancement of its business interests.

The Mansfield Wood Novelty Worlcs was organized June 13, 1892, with a capital
of $20,000. The officers were as follows: M. L. Clark, president; C. S. Eoss, secre-
tary; P. Williams, treasiu'er, and C. S. Eoss, H. E. Metcalf, D. H. Pitts, M. L. Clark
and C. S. Kingslej^, directors. The plant is located a short distance south of Corey
creek, on the east side of the railroad, and is devoted to the manufacture of a mis-
cellaneous list of articles out of native woods. When run to its fullest capacity it
employs about fifty men. L. W. Obourn is the superintendent.

The Mansfield Building and Loan Association was chartered May 23, 1893,
with an authorized capital of $1,000,000. The officers were as follows: F. E. Van
Keuren, president; J. A. Elliott, secretary; W. W. Allen, treasurer, and F. E. Van
Keuren, M. E. Gillett, T. W. Judge, J. S. Hoard, 0. B. Smith, E. A. Spencer, M.
H. Shepard, S. E. Coles and T. F. Eolason, directors. Its object is to promote the
building interests of the borough.

The Mansfield Water Company, of which J. A. Elliott is the superintendent,
was organized in 1893. The stockholders are non-residents, the principal ones
being ex-Lieutenant- Governor Watres and Hon. Lemuel Ammerman, of Scranton.
Gravity system is used, the source of supply being Seeley creek, in the northwest
part of the township.

The Mansfield Chair Company was organized in October, 1893, by A. H. and
C. F. Laasch, with a capital of $5,000. The shops, two in number, are situated
near the railroad, east of the IsTovelty Works. Ten men are employed in the manu-
facture of chairs, tables, sofas and furniture.

NEWSPAPEHS.

In 1856 I. M. Euekman started a paper in Mansfield called The Balance. This



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 77 of 163)