Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 78 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 78 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


name was subsequently changed to the Mansfield Express. About 1857 the plant
was removed to Kansas, and during the anti-slavery agitation was thrown into the
Missouri river. Among the editors in Mansfield were S. B. Elliott and Col. J. S.
Hoard. In 1872 The Valley Enterprise was removed from Lawrenceville to Mans-
field, by H. C. Mills, who was succeeded a& editor by V. A. Elliott. It was pur-
chased by 0. D. Goodenough, who, on January 21, 1875, changed its name to the



588 HISTORY Oy TIOGA COUNTY.

Mansfield Advertiser. He was succeeded by D. A. Famham, Pratt & Goodenougli
and "W. A. Eowland, from whom, on May 6, 1885, Frank B. Van Keuren purchased
it. In the following July, Sheridan. E. Coles became a partner, and the paper has
since been published by them under the firm name of Van Keuren & Coles. It is
a home^print, eight-column folio, devoted to local interests, is well edited and has
a good circulation.

CHUBCHES AND CEMBTEBIES.

The First Presbyterian Church of Richmond was organized July 5, 1832, at the
house of Eev. Asa Donaldson, by the Eev. David Higgins and the Rev. Elisha D.
Wells, a committee appointed by the Presbytery of Bath. The names of the original
members are as follows: Amariah Eobbins, Joel Harkness, Joseph Thompson, John
Backer, John W. Donaldson, Timothy Orvis, John Kell'ey, Mary Cooley, Hannah
Kelley, Thanks Webster, Delia Donaldson, Emily Sexton, Anna Finks, Eoxalana
Brown and Eachel Orvis. The minutes of the meeting axe signed by Eev. Asa
Donaldson, who had previously conducted meetings in the old school house on
Wellsboro street, and was instrumental in bringing about the organization of the
church, the early membership of which included all the persons of the Presbyterian
faith in Eichmond, Tioga and Sullivan townships. The election of ruling elders
was deferred until April 9, 1834, when Amariah Eobbins and Holly Seely were
chosen. The first session met at Tioga May 17, 1834, when Mrs. Catherine M. Wick-
ham, Miss Betsey Mather, Miss Abigail Preston, Jonas B. Shurtliff and wife and
Mrs. Martha Graves were admitted to membership and constituted a branch of the
church in Eichmond. Mr. Donaldson, the pastor, severed his connection with the
church in 1837, and moved to Illinois. On August 3, 1839, John Kelley and
Joseph Eobbins were chosen ruling elders. The meeting of the session on February
10, 1841, was presided over by Eev. P. H. Fowler. The last entry in the minute
book was made June 27, 1857, and notes the election of Lorin Butts as ruling elder,
to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Amariah Eobbins. This church purchased
and worshiped in a building— erected for a wagon shop by a man named Hilton, on
the southeast corner of Main and Sherwood streets — and about three acres of land.
The present Baptist church stands on part of this land. The church, as an active
body, passed out of existence in the early fifties.

The First Baptist Church of Mansfield was first organized as a branch of the
Sullivan Baptist church April 10, 1840, by members of the Baptist faith residing
in Mansfield and vicinity. The members of this branch were Deacon Daniel Sher-
wood and Anna, his wife; Hon. D. L. Sherwood and Maria, his wife; E. P. Clark and
Fanny, his wife; Oliver Elliott, Thomas Jerald, Martha Utter and Lorena Eipley,
together with Eev. Abijah Sherwood and Maria, his wife. On April 1, 1843, the
above named members organized an independent Baptist church to be known as the
Baptist church of Mansfield. Eev. Abijah Sherwood served as pastor until 1860,
with the exception of the years 1853 and 1853, when Eev. G. W. Stone filled the
pulpit, and 1853 and 1854, when it was filled by Eev. W. P. Maryatt. The succeed-
ing pastors have been as follows: Eevs. jST. L. Eeynolds, 1860-66; G. P. Watrous,
1866-67 and 1869-73; J. W. Henry, 1867-68; J. E. Bell, 1874-75; H. Bray, 1875-
78; J. M. Eighter, 1878-81; S. Early, 1881-83; A. W. H. Hodder, 1884- ' F H.
Cooper, 1885; H. S. Quillen, 1891; Charles DeWoody, 1892, and F. W. Eeynolds,



MANSFIELD BOHOUGH. 589



the present pastor^ who took charge in April, 1893. The church was incorporated
March 38, 1873. The church building, erected in 1848-49, on the noi'theast corner
of Main and Sherwood streets, was replaced in 1888 by the present handsome brick
edifice, at a cost of $7,000.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Mansfield was formally organized
February 20, 1845. At an early day itinerant preachers of this denomination visited
the settlers in the Tioga valley, and held meetings in dwellings, barns and the open
air. They were ardent, earnest and oftentimes eloquent evangelists, and upon the
occasion of their visits the people came many miles to hear them. These occasional
services were held in Mansfield until 1841, after which services were held at stated
times. Febrviary 10, 1845, a petition was presented to the conference, signed by
S. F. Utter, H. G. Martin, P. Doud, Elijah Clark, Eussell Davis, Alvin Gaylord, E.
C. Shaw, Isaiah Seelye and P. M. Clark, asking to be incorporated as the First
Methodist Episcopal church of Mansfield. This petition was granted on the 20th
of the same month. The first trustees of the church were Elijah Clark, Simeon
F. Utter, Phineas M. Clark, Eodney C. Shaw, Alvin Gaylord, John Cochran and
Marvin Perry. The names of the pastors who have served this church are as fol-
lows: Eevs. I. Smith, 1841; E. H. Cranmer, 1841-43; E. M. Eeach and M. Scott,
1843; J. Ashworth and S. Mehols, 1844; E. Pinder, 1845; E. L. Stillwell, 1846-47;
0. Trowbridge, 1848-49; W. C. Mattison, 1850; A. H. ShurtlifE, 1851; W. Man-
ning, 1853-53; L. L. Eogers, 1854-55; J. E. Jaques, 1856; H. K Seaver, 1857; E.
L. Stillwell, 1858-59; E. A. Drake and W. Beach, 1860; E. A. Drake aoid W. Coch-
ran, 1861; W. Cochran, 1863; W. M. Haskell, 1863-64; H. Lamkin, 1865-67; H.
T. Giles, W. Beach, L. Beach and L. D. Watson, 1868; W. D. Taylor, 1869-71; J.
T. Canfield, 1872; H. S. Parkhurst, 1873-74; G. C. Jones, 1875-76; H. Vosburgh,
1877; H. C. Moyer, 1878-80; J. T. Brownell, 1881-82; D. W. Smith, 1883-84; W.
A. Ely, 1884-86; W. S. H. Hermans, 1886-89; David Keppel, 1889-92; A. K
Damon, 1893-93; E. J. Eosengrant, 1894-97.

The first services were held in a building erected for a wagon shop, at the corner
of Main and Sherwood streets, opposite the Baptist church, and afterwards in the
old school building at the comer of Wellsboro and Academy streets. In 1849 the
building on the corner of Main and Elmira streets, now used by the Universalist
congregation, was erected at a cost of $1,600. April 17, 1873, the present build-
ing, on the northwest corner of Wellsboro and Academy streets, was dedicated. It
is of brick, has a seating capacity of six hundred, cost $16,000, and is one of the
finest church edifices in the county. In May, 1895, the E. P. Clark homestead,
adjoining the church on the north, was purchased and remodeled for a parsonage, at
a cost of $2,500. The church now numbers 538 members. There are 300 pupils
and teachers in the Sunday-school, of which F. M. Allen is the superintendent.
The young people of this church are members of Epworth League, Chapter No. 1083,
of which George L. Strait is president.

St. James' Protestant Episcopal Church originated in a Sunday-school started
by William Hollands in March, 1865, of which Mrs. James E. Wilson, Mrs. Joseph
P. Morris and others were active members. Mr. Hollands acted as lay reader until
April, 1866, when -Eev. N'. Barrows became rector, after which services were held
regularly in the Baptist church, which had been rented for that purpose. A church



590 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

was organized, of which "William Hollands and Charlotte, his wife; Mrs. Sarah E.
Morris, James R. Wilson and Margaret, his wife; Eobert Crossley and Mary, his wife;
Frederick Hart, Josephine and Irene Stewart, were members. A charter of incor-
poration was obtained May 30, 1867. The necessary funds for a building were
secured, the cornerstone laid September 13, 1868, by Bishop Stevens, and the build-
ing completed and opened for worship December 21, 1870, the cost, including bell
and organ, being $7,500. It is located on the southwest corner of Wellsboro and
St. James streets. On April 24, 1871, the church was dedicated by Bishop Stevens,
the of&cers at the time being James E. Wilson, senior warden; William Hollands,
junior warden; E. Crossley, A. J. Eoss, F. A. Stewart, P. A. Allen and J. P. Morris,
vestrymen. The lot on which the church stands was the gift of Dr. and Mrs. Joseph
P. Morris; the bell, weighing 1,140 pounds and costing $500.00, and a fine pipe organ
costing $800.00, were presented by Charles E. Smith, of Philadelphia, and many
valuable tokens were received from Mrs. Edgar, of New York; Mrs. Margaret Wil-
son, Mrs. Sarah E. Morris, Mrs. Vesta King, Mr. and Mrs. P. A. Allen and others.
Eev. K. Barrows, the first rector, served from 1866 to 1875. His successors have
been Eevs. William Marshall, 1875-80; P. P. Pugett, 1880; B. P. Brown, 1881-84;
M. Karcher, 1885-87; J. B. Blanchard, 1888; William Du Hamel, 1890; P. S. Hip-
kins, 1892-94. Eev. Francis McPetrich took charge in November, 1895, and
remained until March, 1897.

The Presbyterian Church of Mansfield was organized April 29, 1870, by Eev.
Dr. J. D. Mitchell, Eev. C. Otis Thatcher and Hon. H. W. Williams, a committee
appointed by the Presbyte^ of Wellsboro, at Tioga. The names of the origiaal
members of the church are as follows: Charles H. Verrill, William Hutchinson,
Mrs. Fidelia Hutchinson, Mrs. Harriet IST. Hxmt, Miss Nettie H. Hunt, Miss Emma
E. Hunt, Ealph E. Kingsley, Mrs. Sarah Kingsley, Mrs. Eliza Kingsley, Miss Caro-
line M. Kingsley, Mrs. Lottie E. Hoyt, Mrs. C. E. Elliott, Charles Thompson, Mrs.
James Hoard, Mrs. Mary E. Spencer and Mrs. Lavina Eeynolds. Charles H.
Verrill and William Hutchinson were elected ruling elders. At this meeting Mr.
and Mrs. 0. V. Elliott, Miss Emma A. Elliott and Miss Lelia S. Coles were admitted
to membership on profession of faith. Eev. Joseph A. Eosseel, the first pastor,
served until 1875. His successors have been as follows: Eev. S. C. McElroy,
1875-76; George D. Meigs, 1876-82; William F. Carter, 1882-85; George N.
Eogers, supply, 1885; J. B. Woodward, 1888-90; W. T. Schofield, D. D., supply
from November, 1892, to April, 1893, and Eev. Charles E. Hoyt, who served from
January, 1894, to October, 1896. The church building, located on the north side
of Wellsboro street, east of Main, was erected in 1875, at a cost, with the lot, of
$2,800. It was enlarged in 1894 at a cost of $1,000. The church numbers eighty
members. In the Sunday-school are ninety pupils and teachers. Prof. W. E.
Longstreet was superintendent from 1886 to 1895. John P. Bates is the present
superintendent.

The Universalist Church was organized in 1880, its members consisting of Eev.
J. S. Palmer and family, P. S. Eipley, Dr. J. A. Cole, Freeman Shaw, Mr. and Mrs.
Strait and Mrs. Laura Kohler. Miss Emma Bailey served this church as pastor
for ten years. Eev. J. S. Palmer became the pastor in January, 1895. The old
Methodist Episcopal church building at the corner of Main and Elmira streets was



MANSFIBLD BOROUGH. 591



purchased by this society in 1883, and has since been used as its house of worship.

The Simday-sehool numbers twenty-five pupils. Frank Howe is the superintendent.
A Roman Catholic Sunday-Scliool was organized in 1887, and is under the

charge of the pastor of the church at Blossburg. John Gibson is the president.

There is aJQ average attendance of fifty pupils, who meet in a hall over D. H. Pitts'

store, on Main street.

Hope Cemetery, situated west of Main street, on the hill north of Corey creek,

has been a burial place since the earlier years of Mansfield's history. Here rest the

remains of many of the pioneers of the borough and the township, a number of
those originally interred in private burial grounds having been removed hither in
more recent years. The old burial plot is now owned by the borough, and the
vacant lots, or those that may become vacant by removals, are free. The additions
made during later years are owned by Andrew Sherwood and Mrs. Jane M. Allen,
from whose lands they were taken.

Oakwood Cemetery Company, capital $5,000, organized August 11, 1890, owns
a cemetery plot of eleven acres in the northeastern pai-t of the borough. The
officers of the company are as follows: D. H. Pitts, president; 0. Newell, vice-
president; J. S. Hoard, secretary; C. S. Eoss, treasurer; D. H. Pitts, J. S. Hoard
and C. S. Eoss, directors.

SOCIETIES.

Friendship Lodge, No. 2Jf7, F. & A. Y. M., was organized July 1, 1850, with
the following officers and charter members: Josiah N". "Wright, W. M.; Lorin Butts,
S. W.; Thomas Mantor, J. W., and James Husted, Ambrose Millard, Daniel Lamb,
John Lownsbery and Lorin Lamb. The lodge met in a building on the corner of
Main and Sherwood streets. March 1, 1853, the lodge moved to Covington and
continued there until October 29, 1860, when it returned to Mansfield and met in
the building now occupied by Shepard's store. On January 3, 1887, the charter
was surrendered to the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, and on April 27, of the same
year, a new charter was secured and the lodge reorganized with Dr. Wentworth D.
Vedder, "W. M.; Charles S. Eoss, S. "W.; Elmer E. Backer, J. W.; Burr E. Bailey,
T., and Frank E. Van Keuren, S., and Isaac Squires, ISForthrup Smith, John S.
Murdough, Benjamin Jones and Clement T. Paine, members. The lodge met in
a hall over H. F. Kingsley's store, until April, 1895, when it moved into a new hall
in the Eeese & Farrer building on Wellsboro street, which had been fitted up at a
cost of $800.00. The living past masters of this lodge are as follows: A. M. Spencer,
John S. Murdough, Jerome P. Kingsley, "Wentworth D. Vedder, M. D., Frank E.
Van Keuren, Homer F. Kingsley, Frank H. Cooper, Milton E. Goodall and Clar-
ence H. Horton.

Mansfield Lodge, No. 526, I. 0. 0. F., was instituted February 8, 1889, with
the following officers and charter members: Sheridan E. Coles, N". G.; "W. H. Milo,
V. G.; B. J. Costley, S.; M. E. Goodall, A. S.; J. M. Barden, T.; A. "W. Gillet, E..
S. K. G.; David Palmer, L. S. N. G.; C. H. Lawrence, "W. J. Devoe, C; F. L.
Graves, E. S. S.; Volney Eipley, L. S. S.; L. Goldmeyer, 0. G.; Eugene Doane,
I. G.; H. E. Metcalf, E. S. V. G.; Benjamin Moody, L. S. Y. G., and Frank Kohler,
L. A. Brewster, S. Clark Peake, "W. B. Jerald, Edward Doane, sitting P. N". G., L



592 HISTOET OF TIOGA COTJNTT.



P. Lownsbery, P. M. Gillett, Byron Bartlett, John F. Pitts, G. E. Goodrich, J. H.
Geer and G. W. DaYis. The lodge numbers sixty members.

General Mansfield Post, No. 48, G. A. R., was organized August 14, 1875. The
officers and members were as follows: A. M. Pitts, C; 0. D. Goodenough, S. V. C;
C. S. Kingsley, J. V. C; F. M. Shaw, 0.; P. V. Clark, 0. D.; F. M. Spencer, 0. G.;
M. D. Bailey, A.; H. H. Lamb, S. M.; M. A. Cass, Q. S.; A. J. Brown, I. G.; E.
S. Keen, 0. G., and M. L. Clark, C. S. Kingsley, Henry Gaylord, John KUey, H.

B. Shaw, W. H. Matt, J. S. Palmer. Since the organization 188 members have
been mustered in. The commanders have been as follows: A. M. Pitts, 0. D.
Goodenough, H. H. Lamb, H. C. Bailey, M. L. Clark, A. J. Brown, C. S. Kingsley,

C. H. Eamsdell, H. H. Horton, Edward Doane, P. M. Shaw, 0. T. Haight, H. B.
Shaw, Dr. Benjamin Moody, M. E. Goodall and W. B. Hall. The post has a hand-
somely furnished hall in the Allen building.

General Mansfield Corps, No. 6, W. B. C, was organized March 3, 1890, with
the following officers and members: Esther M. Doane, P.; Prances E. Peterson,
S. V. P.; Maxtha E. Shaw, J. V. P.; Jennie L. Kingsley, S.; Celia C. Shaw, T.;
Elizabeth Howe, C; Alice M. Ingalls, C; Mina M. Parker, A. S.; Mary J. Pitts,
G.; Piuby A. Daily, G.; and Adelia L. Moody, Rene Dalton, Jennie "Welch. This
corps now numbers thirty members.

The Mansfield Club was organized January 14, 1896, with the following officers:
Edward H. Ross, P.; John P. Breidinger, Y. P.; Leon S. Channell, S., and Wilmot

D. Husted, T. This club, which is a social organization, has handsomely furnished
rooms in the opera house block. Its membership is made up of the representative
business and professional men of Mansfield.

Tioga Valley Grange, No. 918, P. of H., was organized February 16, 1890, with,
thirty-one charter members. The first officers were J. P. Pitts, M.; J. E. Rose, 0.;
Byron Bartlett, L.; Edwin Allen, S.; C. H. Horton, A. S.; W. W. Inscho, C; W.
B. Jerald, T.; Byron J. Costley, Sec; S. McConnell, G. K.; Mary E. Bartlett, C;
Julia E. Sturdivant, P.; Estelle Clark, P.; Nettie Allen, L. A. S. The present
membership of the lodge is ninety-six, and it embraces many of the leading farmers
of Richmond township. The meeting place is Allen's hall, in Mansfield.

Among the other societies in the borough ^.re Fidelity Union, ISTo. 333, E. A.
TJ., organized June 11, 1881; the Knights of Sobriety, Fidelity and Integrity, organ-
ized June 5, 1894, and AUadin Tent, ISTo. 230, K. 0. T. M., organized in the summer



of 1895.





x^V C^<^i::z.'<^t.c^^



CHAPTEE L.

COVINGTON TOWNSHIP.

Organization— Original and Present Area— Drainage and Physical Features
— Population— Early Settlers— Early and Later Enterprises— Schools —
Postmasters and Justices— Churches, Cemeteries and Societies.



COVINGTON township was organized in February, 1815, and was taken from
Tioga township. Its original bonndaries included the township of Eiehmond,
the southern portion of Eutland, all of Sullivan, Ward, Union, Hamilton and Bloss,
the greater part of Liberty and the borough of Blossburg. As at present constituted
it is about eight and a quarter miles from east to west, by four and a half from north
to south, and contains about thirty-seven square miles. The Tioga river crosses
its southern boundary line, about a mile and a quarter east of the center, and pur-
sues a slightly winding course almost due north through the township. About
one-third of the area of the township lies to the east and two-thirds to the west of
the river. The tributaries of the river within the township are Barber run, which
flows from the east and unites with it within the Covington borough limits; Marvin,
or Copp Hollow rim, as it is also called, which flows from the west, and unites with
it above the borough; Howland run and Elk run, both of which flow from the west,
the confluence of the former being within the borough limits and of the latter near
the northern boundary line of the township. Canoe Camp creek pursues a north-
west course through the northeastern part of the township, and East creek a south-
western course through the southeastern part of the township. The entire township
is hilly, the southern portion especially being rugged and rocky. North, however,
of the mouth of Marvin r\m, the hills assume a gentler slope, and are, as a rule, imder
cultivation. Here and there a place too steep for ploughing is found, and is used
as a sheep range. Richly fertile and well-cultivated farms are to be found along
the river and in the valleys of the creeks. The forests of pine and hemlock which
taxed the energies of the early pioneers have disappeared, except in isolated areas
of a few acres. So long as they lasted they furnished employment for lumbermen
and for saw-mills, the last of which disappeared from the township years ago.

Covington is now one of the best agricultural townships in the county. Its
growth has been constant, and its material prosperity has kept pace with its increase
in population. In 1870 it had 811 inhabitants; in 1880, 1,134, and in 1890, 1,133.

EARLY SETTLERS.

To Aaron Bloss belongs the honor of being the pioneer settler of Covington
township. He came from Chenango county, New York, in July, 1801, and located
about two miles below what is now Covington borough. After remaining a year
he removed to Peter's Camp, on the site of Blossburg, where he kept hotel until
1835, in which year he returned to Covington. Here he kept hotel in a building



594 HISTOKY OJF TIOGA COUNTY.

near the southwest corner of the public square, until a short time before his death,
March 24, 1843. This building was torn down in the fall of 1895. His remains
and those of his wife, who died April 17, 1839, repose in the cemetery south of Cov-
ington borough. The next to settle was David demons, who located three miles
south of Covington borough, near the southern line of the township, on the farm
now owned by W. J. Eichards. He came from Vermont in 1806, and was the first
person to mine Blossburg coal for shipment, hauling an occasional load overland
to Painted Post.

Aaron Gillett, who settled in Tioga township in 1798, removed to Cherry Flats
about 1804. L. L. Washburn, now a resident of Soaring Branch, says his father
cleared the land at Cherry Flats, before 1806, on which Levi Elliott, who came into
the township in 1808, settled in 1813. Elijah Putnam, a native of Worcestei
county, Massachusetts, came from Langdon, Cheshire county, Massachusetts, in
1809, and settled east of the borough, on the farm now owned by John Cleveland.
Asahel Graves came in 1811, from Peru, Bennington county, Vermont, and settled
on Elk run. Tilly Marvin came in 1817 from New Hampshire and settled on the
west side of the river, near the mouth of Marvin creek. He was four times mar-
ried, and was the father of twenty-four children. Abotit 1825 Ephraim B.
Gerould, a native of Newtown, Connecticut, settled just east of the borough. Among
other early settlers were John Copp, who located in "Copp Hollow," west of
Tilly Marvin; Alonzo Eeddington, James Pettis, Jonathan Jennings, Isaac Bliss
and Abraham Johnson, who settled on Elk run. Mr. Bliss was the father of P.
P. Bliss, the celebrated evangelist, who lost his life in the railroad disaster at Ashta-
bula, Ohio, December 30, 1876. The early settlers along the State road were Nor-
man Rockwell and Avery Gillett. John Jaquish settled on Canoe Camp creek,
near the Eichmond township line, in 1838, on the farm now owned by his son,
Charles Jaquish. About 1830 Lyman and Calvin Frost settled on Canoe Camp
creek, east of Covington borough. Their brothers, Samuel, James and Elias, came
later. These five brothers were the foimders of the "Frost Settlement." They
have left numerous descendants. After 1830 the township filled up rapidly, the
valleys of the river and creeks being the first to be cleared and cultivated.

EAELY AND LATER BNTEEPEISES.

In 1823 Daniel Harkness erected a distillery on the hillside east of the Glass
Works. This he appears to have disposed of a year later to Isaac Walker, Jr. It
was discontinued in 1836. In 1834 Daniel Harkness erected a grist-mill on the
Tioga river, south of the borough limits. In 1834 the mill was transferred to
James Husted, who operated it until 1837, when it became the property of Isaac
Baker, who was succeeded by Israel L. Wells in 1840, who ran it until 1842 when
it became the property of Joseph Hubbell. It was burned soon afterward, and on
Its site Mr. Hubbell erected a large three-story mill. This mill was aiterwards
operated by D. S. Diffenbaugh and by Evans & Brown. It was also destroyed by
fire. In 1873 the present mill, which is operated by C. F. King, was erected, on
a site near the old mills. It is a water-power mill, devoted to custom grinding
T . t!^? factory was erected in 1834, near the grist-mill, by William Hagenbach,
In 1836 he disposed of it to George C. Kress. In 1837 a saw-mill was erected and



COYINGTON TOWNSHIP. 595



operated in connection with the factory. It is related that the sash made in this
factory were hauled overland to Pine creek, and rafted down that stream to Wil-
liamsport and below. This was in addition to shipments by railroad into southern
New York. In 1846 the enterprise was assessed to Weatherbee & Kress, who car-
ried it on until 1848, when D. S. & W. H. Ireland became the owners. A year later
D. S. Ireland became sole owner and carried it on for a number of years.

In 1837 Lyman Frost erected a saw-mill on Canoe Camp creek, in the "Frost
Settlement." This he operated for a number of years. In 1839 Boyd & Cleaver
erected a saw-mill near the mouth of Elk run. In this mill oak plank, seventy to
eighty feet in length, for use in building canal boats, were sawed. After Mr. Boyd's
death, in 1843, the mill became the property of Edwin Dyer. He ran it until 1848,
when it was turned into a tannery, operated by Edward Milliken and Nathan
Gitchell. It was destroyed by fire about 1851. In 1839 Asahel Culver built a



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 78 of 163)