Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 83 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 83 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Seymour, Bloss and Bear Eun, are workable. The township is well watered,
the principal stream being the Tioga river, which flows in a northwesterly direction
through the southern half, receiving Carpenter run, which flows from the
south, and Morris run, which flows from, the northwest. The valley of the
Tioga is traversed by the Fall Brook railroad, and that of Morris run by
the Morris Eun railroad. The lands of the Morris Eun Coal Mining Com-
pany occupy nearly the entire area of the township, the portion devoted to
agriculture being very limited. "With the exception of some twenty-five or thirty
families at Cummings' mills, near the southeast comer of the Blossburg borough
limits; a few families at Aylesworth mill, near the mouth of Taylor run, and a
small settlement of Polish families in the northern part of the township, the popu-
lation is confined to the village of Morris Eun. In 1880 the census returns showed
3,060 inhabitants, and in 1890, 2,375.

The office of justice of the peace has been filled as follows: "W. S. Nearing,
elected in 1873; W. L. Eichards, 1873; Nathan Church, 1877; Samuel Woodhouse,
1877; re-elected in 1883, 1887, 1893 and 1897.
40



626 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

MOEBTS EUN MINES AND EAILEOAD.

In 1832 when Eiehard C. Taylor made a geographical survey of the region in
and around Blossburg, he discovered the existence of several coal veins in the valley
of Morris run, a small mountain stream which rises in the northeastern part of Ham-
ilton township, flows southwest, and empties into the Tioga river near the southeast
corner of the Blossburg borough limits. It was named in honor of Hon. Samuel
W. Morris, a pioneer settler of Wellsboro, prominently identified with the construc-
tion of the Corning and Blossburg railroad. In 1852 explorations, with a view to
opening up new coal mines, were carried on in the valley of this stream, under the
direction of the Tioga Improvement Company, with the result that coal of a superior
quality and in paying quantities was discovered near its headwaters, about two and
a half miles east of Blossburg. Steps were immediately taken to mine and market
the coal. In order to do this it became necessary to build a line of railroad from
Blossburg, along the valley of the Tioga river, to Morris run, and up the valley of
that stream to the coal openings. This road was surveyed during the same year
by Col. Pharon Jarrett, of Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, assisted by Humphries Brewer
and J. Livingstone, and completed in October, 1853. It is four miles in length, and
rises from an elevation above tidewater of 1,348 feet at Blossburg to 1,687 feet at
Morris Eun. It is now operated as a part of the "Erie" system.

COAL MINING COMPANIES.

The Morris Eun mines were opened in 1853 and were operated ixntil 1863 by
the Tioga Improvement Company, during which time there were mined 333,174
tons of coal. John Young was the first mining superintendent of the company,
and James Brown, Peter Cameron, Jr., and Henry J. Landrus weighmasters.
The office of the company was located at Blossburg, and that of the superintendent
occupied a log building at Morris Eun. Alfred Jones was appointed general sales
agent at Coming, New York, and also a paymaster of the company.

From 1863 to 1864 the mines were operated imder lease by the Salt Company
of Onondaga county, New York, with business office at Syracuse. MaJ. T. B.
Anderson was appointed mercantile agent, and the business of the company carried
on more extensively than before. Stores, offices, chutes and an increased number
of dwellings were erected. During this period, and later, under the Morris Euri
Coal Company, John J. Davis was employed in exploring and developing the mines.
He opened the East and Salt Lake drifts, advocated and adopted the T rail for mine
tramways, ajid was the first to introduce mules in the mines.

In 1864 the Salt Company was succeeded by the Morris Eun Coal Company.
This company was chartered October 3, 1864, with $300,000 capital, and consisted
of S. P. Haskin, president; John F. Dee, treasurer, who, with L. Gleason and
Thomas T. Davis, all of Onondaga county, New York, formed the board of directors.
The company's offices were located at Blossburg, with a business office at Syracuse,
New York. ^Y. S. Nearing, at first employed as civil and mining engineer, was
before the close of the year given full control as superintendent. This position he
has filled with marked ability for thirty-two years. Every improvement or appliance
tending to facilitate the working of the mines or promote the health and safety of
the miners, that has stood the test of successful operation, has been adopted by him,



HAMILTON TOWNSHIP. 627



and the mines under his charge are reputed to be among the best ventilated and
the best managed in the State.

In 1877 the Morris Run Coal Company was succeeded by the Morris Eun Coal
Mining Company. This company wisely retained the old employes, almost with-
out exception, and many of them are still in its service. Promotions have come to
those who have proved themselves faithful and capable. Patrick F. O'Donnell,
cashier and paymaster of the company, has held that position since March, 1868,
and has disbursed millions of dollars. In the office with him are his son, John
F. O'Donnell, book-keeper, and William Tipton, time-keeper. William O'Donnell,
another son, is the freight and ticket agent of the company. Thomas V. Keefe,
the telegraph operator and shipping clerk, worked in the mines as a boy, and has
reached his present position by successive promotions. James C. Hadley, mining
foreman, is an old employe. Michael DriscoU, foreman of the Jones mine, has
been employed in Morris Run since the opening of the mines, coming from Bloss-
burg in 1854. Campbell Haddow, foreman of the "Lake" or "New" mine, has
been in the company's employ over twenty years. The weighmasters are John
Palmer, at the Jones mine, and John Hayes, one of the oldest employes of the com-
pany, at the "Lake" or "New" mine. Henry Hollands held the position of weigh-
master at Blossburg from May 18, 1863, to his death, November 28, 1895. His
successor is Frank H. Stratton. Homer C. Treat, the outside foreman, has charge
of the saw-mill and of the force employed in the woods getting out logs, tan bark
and timber for mine props. The saw-mill has a capacity of 20,000 feet of lumber
a day.

The Jones mine is ventilated by a twenty-foot exhausting fan, driven by
steam. The "New" mine is ventilated by shafts. Coal from the Jones mine is
conveyed to the chutes in mine cars hauled by an endless wire rope or cable; the
cars in the "New" mine are hauled by mules to the main drift, and then by mine
locomotives to the chiites. Dm-ing 1894 there were 709 men employed by the
company, 533 of whom were miners. The average number of days worked by each
man during the year was 138f, and the total amount of coal mined 309,861 tons.
The mining and timber lands of the company embrace about 7,000 acres, and are
situated in Hamilton, Ward, Union, Bloss and Covington townships.

The Tioga and Morris Run Telegraph Company was chartered September 23,
1879, the incorporators being W. S. Nearing, Morris Eun; A. J. Owen, Fall Brook;
Anton Hardt, Alonzo H. Gorton and George E. Bowen. The line built by this
company runs from Tioga Junction to Morris Eun and Fall Brook, and is for the
use principally of the Morris Eun and Fall Brook Coal Companies.

THE VILLAGE OF MOEHIS RUN.

As a preparation for the working of the mines and the building up about them
of a mining village, sixteen log houses were erected in 1853, the first occupants of
which were Joseph and Henry Mitchell, James E. Cameron, Joseph Hughes, Frank
Smith, Samuel Vickers, John Nailor, William Kelley, Andrew Baird, William E.
Gilmour, William Bland, Dennis Mooney, John Kelley and James Brown. An
office building for the superintendent and a store building were soon afterward
erected, as were also coal chutes, switches, etc.



628 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

After the Morris Run Coal Company assumed control of the mines the village
grew rapidly. Churches and lodges were organized and schools established, and
large accessions to the mining population were received from Wales, England,
Scotland and Ireland. In 1874 there were 3,350 inhabitants, occupying 356
dwellings. The present business interests include a general store, owned by G-eorge
A. Magee, and managed by M. Tucker, agent. It is patronized by employes of the
company, and the amount of business done each year is very large. Abemathy
& Company run the meat market and also a wholesale liquor store;

A postoffice was established soon after the opening of the mines, the first post-
master being John James, Jr. His successors have been E. C. Bailey, Stephen
Bowen, T. G. Dallman, Philip Williams and Lewis Hearing.

The resident physicia^as are Dr. H. E. Caldwell and Dr. J. H. Keily, each of
whom carries on a drug store in connection with his practice. Among the pre-
decessors of Drs. Caldwell and Keily were Dr. William Caldwell, who came in 1867
and remained until 1891; Dr. Charles Drake, Dr. Nathan Ingram, Dr. Griffin,
Dr. W. W. Williams, Dr. Smythe, Dr. Henry Kilbourn and Dr. M. L. Bacon.

The Hamilton House, erected in 1864, is the only hotel. The first landlord
was Frederick Caldwell, succeeded by David Wetzel, Capt. E. C. Bailey, George
W. Philhps, Stephen Bowen, T. G. Dallman and Niel Munro.

SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES.

There are two public school buildings in Morris Eun. Five teachers are em-
ployed, and the schools hold a creditable rank among those of the county. A public
school is also maintained at Cummings' mill. The children of the Polish families
in the northern part of the township attend a school erected in 1895 just across the
Covington township line, but on the Morris Eun Coal Mining Company's land.
There is also in Morris Eun a parochial school, conducted by Eev. S. Siedlecki,
pastor of the Polish Eoman Catholic church. In this school both the Polish and
English languages are taught.

The Presbyterian Church of Morris Run was organized July 5, 1856, with the
following membership: xilexander and Jean Pollock, James and Marion Brown,
Andrew and Catherine Baird, John and Janet Dunsmore, William and Jane Gil-
mour, William and Catherine Watchman, John and Elizabeth Baird, James Mor-
rison, Mrs. Mary Young and Mrs. Mary Eodolph. Alexander Pollock was chosen
elder; William Gilmour, deacon, and James Brown, clerk. Eev. Sidney Mills was
the acting pastor. This church maintained its organization until 1859. On May
11, 1864, after a lapse of about five years, the First Presbyterian church in Morris
Eun was organized with twenty-one members, most of whom belonged to the church
organized in 1856. This church continued as an organized society until 1877, when,
owing to the removal of the greater part of its membership to Arnot, it passed out
of existence. The last entry in the session book is dated August 26, 1877.

The Welsh Baptist Church was organized in the year 1864. The first pastor
was Eev. J. E. Harris, the deacons John M. Jenkins and William S. Edwards. A
church building was completed and dedicated in August, 1873. It is a neat and
attractive edifice, capable of seating 400 persons, and represents an outlay of $3,500.
The church has had no pastor for several years.



HAMILTON TOWNSHIP. g29



The Primitive Methodist Church is the successor of a Welsh congregation
organized in 1864. The present organization was effected about 1869. The build-
ing was erected in 1866, and, with repairs and improvements, has cost about $3,400.
The names of the pastors who have served this church are as follows: Eevs. Thomas
Bateman, Mr. Sniffin, John Acornly, D. Savage, John Mason, John Atkinson,
Thomas McKay, S. Hancock, W. Gratton and T. M. Phillips, who has had charge
since June, 1894. Thomas P. Cornish is the superintendent of the Sunday-school.
The church numbers thirty members, and the Sunday-school has an average attend-
ance of ninety pupils.

The First Welsh Congregation of Morris Bun was organized about 1864, and
was regularly chartered, under the above name, January 29, 1867, the trustees being
David Jones, John E. Jones and David Davis. Rev. Philip Peregrine, of Bloss-
burg, was the first pastor. Eev. F. Tilo Evans, also of Blossburg, served this church
for a number of years. Eemovals weakened its membership, who being unable to
support a pastor, have for several years worshiped with the church in Blossburg.

St. Mary's Soman Catholic Church was organized December 31, 1883, when the
following officers were elected: Eev. P. J. Murphy, chairman; P. P. O'Donnell,
treasurer; Thomas V. Keefe, secretary, and Daniel Pogarty, Philip Haily, David
Hays, P. P. O'Donnell, Thomas V. Keefe and Eev. P. J. Murphy, building com-
mittee. A neat building, costing $1,500 — ^the Morris Eun Coal Mining Com-
pany contributing the lumber — ^was erected, and was opened for service on Christmas
day, 1883. This church is served by the pastor of St. Andrew's Eoman Catholic
church, Blossburg, in which charge it has been since its organization. There is
connected with this church a branch of the Catholic Total Abstinence and Benevo-
lent Association, with a large membership.

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church (Polish) was organized in 1892. Its mem-
bership consists of about 150 families, with seventy children in the Sunday-school.
The church building, a commodious frame edifice, cost $4,000. This church is under
the charge of the pastor of the Polish Catholic church in Blossburg.

The Swedish Lutheran Church was organized in 1888. It holds services in a
neat edifice, erected at a cost of $600. There are about one hundred members in
the church, and thirty-five pupils in the Sunday-school, of which Albert Swenson
is the superintendent. Although this church has had no regular pastor, its pulpit
has been supplied by students from the Lutheran college at Eock Island, Illinois
Eev. 0. A. Johnson, a student of this college, has been serving the church for the
past year.

The Morris Run Baptist Church was organized August 20, 1896, with twenty-
two members, and was admitted into the Tioga Baptist Association, September 3,
1896. This society worships in the old Welsh Baptist church building, and is in
charge of Eev. J. A. Klucker, pastor of the church at Blossburg.

SOCIETIES.

The societies of Morris Eun are an important factor in promoting social and
fraternal feeling among the diverse nationalities that make up its population. The
pioneer society is Morris Eun Lodge, No. 698, 1. 0. 0. P. It was instituted January
33, 1870, with forty-one members, and has now nearly 100. Louisa Lodge, No.



630 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

105, D. of E., was organized May 14, 1875. After flourishing for several years it
surrendered its charter, but was revived in 1895. Tioga Lodge, IS"o. 304, K. of P.,
was organized June 22, 1871, with twenty-four charter members, since increased
to 150. Caradog Ap Bran, No. 11, Adran P., a "Welsh social and benevolent organi-
zation, known as "Ivorites," was organized May 14, 1872. A few years ago it was
merged with the lodge at Punxsutawney, Jefferson county, by reason of removals
and decreased membership. Morris Eun Lodge, Ko. 109, 1. 0. G. T., was organized
June 27, 1888. It now numbers twenty members. Division No. 3, A. 0. H., was
organized August 25, 1889, and has now upwards of sixty members.



CHAPTEE LY.

WAED TOWNSHIP.

Oeganization— Reduction of Area— Drainage— Population— Justices of the
Pbace—EaelySettlers— ManufactuhingEnterpbises— Schools— Churches,
Cemeteries and Societies.



w



'AED township, named in honor of C. L. Ward, of Towanda, Pennsylvania, was
. . organized in February, 1852, and was taken from Sullivan and Union town-
ships. In August, 1864, its area was diminished by the creation of Fall Brook bor-
ough. It is bounded on the north by Sullivan township; on the east by Bradford
county; on the south by Union township, and on the west by Hamilton and Coving-
ton townships. It is an upland township, lying for the most part along the sum-
mit and in the valleys of the Armenia mountain, .through which flow the Tioga
river and its headwater branches. These are Fellows' creek, Highbank creek,
Brandy run and Little Falls creek, which flow from the north; and Eathbone creek,
which flows from the east, and South creek, from the south. Joiner's creek, which
flows through the southeastern part of the township, is a branch of South creek.
The river itself passes through the township from northeast to southwest. A large
portion of the surface of Ward is underlaid with semi-bituminous coal, similar in
kind and quality to that mined in Fall Brook and Monis Eun, and known as Bloss-
burg coal. These deposits have not yet been developed. When the township was
flrst settled its area was nearly all covered by a heavy growth of timber. The
greater part of this has been manufactured into lumber.

Though containing a larger portion of unimproved land than most of the other
townships of the county, Ward has many well-improved and well-cultivated farms.
It has grown slowly but steadily. In 1870 there were 285 inhabitants; in 1880,
327, and in 1890, 442.



WAED TOWNSHIP. 631



The following named persons have served as justices of the peace since the
formation of the township: Erastus Kiii, 1853; re-elected, 1858 and 1865; Zalmon
Gregory, 1853; James D. Hill, 1858; James Heron, 1863; L. C. Shepard, 1864;
William E. Lyon, 1865; re-elected, 1870; Tracy 0. HoUis, 1870; re-elected, 1876
and 1881; George K. Beardsley, 1875; Wallace Chase, 1881; re-elected, 1886 and
1891; A. A. Griswold, 1884, and C. H. Smith, 1897.

EAELY SETTLEKS.

The first settlement in the township was made on Armenia mountain, near
the head of Fellow^' creek, along the Sullivan township line. Here Eussell Eose,
a native of Connecticut, and an officer on AVashington's staff during the Eevolu-
tionary War, located in 1807. It is said that a numher of others from the New
England states settled in the same neighborhood, but, discovering soon afterward
that better land lay in the valleys, abandoned their locations, Eussell Eose removing
to Sullivan township. This portion of Ward township now bears the name of the
"Old Possessions."

No further attempts at settlement appear to have been made until after 1830.
Among the earHest settlers were WHliam aad Matthias Mcintosh, who settled in
Mcintosh Hollow, in the northeastern part of the township, about 1835. In this
year, also, Andrew KnifiBn settled on the place now occupied by his grandson, Daniel
TTTiifRTi . About 1839 Erastus Kiff settled on Eathbone creek, in the eastern part
of the township. Among other early settlers were Walter Dewey, Samuel Beach,
John Purvis, William E. Lyon, J. W. Fletcher, Daniel Hagar, Phineas B. Fields,
W. B. Gates and Eoswell Joiner, all of whom came between 1840 and 1850. When
the first assessment of the township was made in 1853, there were forty-two resident
taxables.

MANtTFACTUHING ENTBEPEISES.

A saw-mill was erected about 1853, on the Tioga river, in Mcintosh Hollow,
by William Mcintosh, and was operated by himself and M. E. Mcintosh for nearly
fifteen years. It was afterwaxds operated by Mcintosh & Kinch and Mcintosh &
Thomas. The next mill was erected, about 1855, by John M. and Erastus Kiff, on
Eathbone creek, in the eastern part of the township. They carried it on until about
1870, when Warren Whiteman took it and ran it for several years. About 1863 W E.
Lyon built a saw-mUl near the mouth of Eathbone creek. The mill, within a few
years, became the property of Wallace Chase and was run by him and those associated
with him up to 1890. A number of other mills were established in different parts of
the township and operated as long as the timber supply lasted. The present enter-
prises consist of the steam saw-mill of G. M. Coons, near the head of Joiner's creek,
and the acid factory of Beardsley Brothers & Ehoads, near Chase's Mills.

SCHOOLS.

The pioneer school hot^e of the township, a log structure, was erected, between
1845 and 1850, in Mcintosh Hollow. One of the earliest teachers was Mary Welch.
Susannah Bascom, now the widow of John M. Kiff, taught about 1854. Other
early teachers tri the to^vnship were Electa Lyon, Elizabeth Coovert, Eliza Ann



632 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Taber, Adelia Denmark and Amoretta KifE, now Mrs. John E. EoUoson. A num-
ber of the early schools were taught in private houses. There are now four schools
in the township, in which school is maintained six months in the year.

CHURCHES, CEMETEEIES AND SOCIETIES.

During the earlier years of the township's history religious services were held
in private dwellings and school houses. The first services were held by Eev. John
Spaulding. He was followed by other itinerant ministers, who visited the town-
ship from time to time. A Baptist church was organized in the winter of 1879-80,
and for several years held regular services. Deaths and removals, however, de-
pleted its numbers, and those who are left now attend the churches in Canton and
Alba.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Ward Township was chartered May
31, 1881. It was the outgrowth of a class started several years before, and organ-
ized with twelve members. In 1883 a house of worship, costing $1,200, was erected
in the eastern part of the township. This church now numbers thirty-five mem-
bers, is in the Canton charge and has been served by the pastors of the church in
Canton, Bradford county. It maintains a Sunday-school of forty-five pupils, with
Wilson Hill as superintendent.

The Cemeteries of this township are unincorporated. They are all early burial
places. One is located in Mcintosh Hollow, another in the Kniffin neighborhood
and a third near the Eed school house. Many of the residents of the township bury
their dead in the cemetery at Canton.

Ward Grange, No. 900, P. of H., was first organized October 3, 1875, and re-
organized March 2, 1883. It owns and meets in a hall building, erected in 1883,
near the Segar school, in the eastern part of the township. It has now forty-five
members, embracing the leading farmers of that section, and it is one of the strong
and prosperous granges of the county.



• CHAPTER LVI.

FALL BEOOK BOROUGH.

Location and Surroundings— The Fall Bkook Coal Company— Its Organiza-
tion AND History— Borough Organization and Officials— Schools-
Churches — Societies.



THE borough of Fall Brook is situated about six miles east of Blossburg, on Fall
brook, formerly called Fall creek, one of the headwater tributaries of the
Tioga river. The altitude, railroad level, is 1,843 feet above tidewater. The land
embraced within the borough limits, as well as several thousand acres in Ward and
Union townships, is owned by the Fall Brook Coal Company, whose principal busi-
ness is the mining and shipping of coal. A limited number of men are employed
in the saw-mill, manufacturing lumber, and in the woods, in getting out logs and
tan bark. The Fall Brook railway, owned and operated by the company, connects
at Blossburg with the Tioga branch of the "Erie." By a traffic arrangement with
the latter company, the Fall Brook Coal Company is enabled to ship its coal to Corn-
ing, ISTew York, and other distributing points.

From the opening of the mines in December, 1859, to 1873, the population of
Fall Brook increased rapidly, and in 1872 was estimated at 3,300. Strikes, financial
depression, and the transfer of a large number of miners and their families to Antrim
and Clermont, have reduced the number of working miners to 135, and the popula-
tion to about 700. Though of different nationalities originally, the miners are,
with few exceptions, American citizens, and they and their families form a homo-
geneous, sociable, order-loving and law-abiding community. The population for
each decade since the borough was organized, as shown by the census returns, is as
follows: 1870, 1,390; 1880, 860, and 1890, 835,

THE FALL BEOOK COAL COMPANY.

In 1851 Hon. John Magee, of Bath, New York, became the owner of that por-
tion of the Coming and Blossburg railroad lying between Corning, New York, and
Lawrenceville, Pennsylvania. In that year, also, Mallory & Bostwick, of Coming,
surrendered to him their lease of the coal mines at Blossburg. Mr. Magee at once
set about making these properties productive and profitable. He replaced the old
strap rail on his portion of the road with T rails, and persuaded the stockholders
of the line between Lawrenceville and Blossburg to do the same. He next devoted



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 83 of 163)