Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 86 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 86 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


merchant was D. W. Canfield, who opened a store about 1850, in which year, also,
C. L. Farnsworth opened a hotel. In 1863 this house was kept by L. L. Comstock,
and has since had numerous landlords. The present one, John E. Childs, has kept
the house since 1886. There are two general stores in the village, one carried on
by Joseph Childs, who has been in business since 1865, and the other by John
Hagerty. A grist-mill, already noticed, is operated by Adam Coppersmith. A Union
church, a Grange hall and a school comprise the buildings devoted to public use.

Sebrings is the name of a postoffice about three miles north of Liberty borough,
on the Blossburg road. It was named for John Sebring, an early settler and mer-
chant here. The postoffice was established in March, 1884, the first postmaster
being Henry Dycker. He held the office until June 20, 1894, when David Heyler,
who also keeps a general store, was appointed. There are two churches in the vil-





,a.




UNION TOWNSHIP. 649



lage — ^the Union church, erected in 1863, and the Lutheran church, erected in
1896 — also a Grange hall.

Shoptown, so named from the wagon shop of Solomon Blanchard erected over
thirty years ago, is about two miles northeast of Liberty, on the Canton road. A
second wagon shop was started here by Charles Weigand. Both were discontinued
a number of years ago. There are two church buildings here — the Universalist
and the new Union church building.

Uast Point is situated on the Canton road, about a mile west of the eastern line
of the township. A postoffice was established here in 1880, P. W. Shick being the
first postmaster. His successors have been Joseph Bickler, Henry Gleckler and
Daniel Boger, appointed in October, 1894. C. D. McCracken, the deputy post-
master, also carries on a general store. There are two church buildings here, the
Evangelical and the United Evangelical, also a public school building.

Hartford is the name of a postoflice about three miles east of Nauvoo, on the
Canton road. A postof&ee named Barfelden was maintained here for many years
and then discontinued. The present office was established in 1890, the first post-
master being Harry Darling. M. W. Hart, the present postmaster, was appointed
in 1891. He also carries on a general store.



CHAPTEE LYIII.

UTTION TOWNSHIP.

Organisation— Physical Features— Streams— Population— Pioneee Settlers
Early and Later Enterprises— Schools— Physicians and Justices-
Churches, Cemeteries and Societies— Villages.



UlSriOlSr township, the southeastern township of the county, is bounded on the
north by Hamilton and Ward townships; on the east by Bradford county; on
the south by Lycoming county, and on the west by Liberty and Hamilton townships.
Its northern, eastern and western boundary lines are regular, while its southern
boundary line follows— except near the southwest corner— the windings of Eoaring
Branch and of Lycoming creek. The township was organized in February, 1830,
and was taken from Sullivan township. It is one of the larger townships of the
county; being about seven and one-half miles from east to west, with an average from
north to south of about eight miles, giving it an area of about sixty square miles.
The drainage is toward the south and east, the principal stream being Mill creek,
and its two branches, East and West Mill creek, and Sugar Works run, and its two
branches. East and West Sugar Works run. Lycoming creek and Eoaring Branch,



650 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTT.



which form all but a small portion of the southern boundary, have each a number of
small branches in the township. The township is principally upland plateau, the
northern third being mountainous and rising to over 2,200 feet before the dividing
summit is reached. Some of the highest elevations in the county axe in this part
of the township.

Though once heavily timbered and the scene of active lumbering operations,
Union is now one of the almost exclusively agricultural townships of the county.
The ISTorthem Central railroad, which runs along the Lycoming Creek valley, is
accessible for shipping purposes to the residents of the township, giving them access
to both northern and southern markets.

Union township has grown steadily. In 1840 it had 228 inhabitants; in IBYO,
1,098; 1880, 1,789, and 1890, 1,876.

PIONEER SETTLEES.

One of the earliest, if not the very earliest, settlers was Uriah Loper, Sr., a
native of Salem county, New Jersey, who located, soon after 1800, in the eastern
part of the township, on land covered by Warrant Ko. 4602, for which he received
a deed from Joshua Grigby, August 15, 1807. Deeds bearing the same date were
also given by Grigby to James Sullard and John Crandles, for lands covered by the
same warrant; to Samuel Wakeman, for land covered by "Warrant No. 4600, and to
Jesse Drake and Laban Landon for land covered by Warrant N"o. 4601. These
lands all lay along the Bradford county line. If James Sullard became a settler,
his stay was short, as he soon afterward removed to Liberty township.

In 1804 Eli McNett, a native of Massachusetts, came from Towanda, Pennsyl-
vania, and settled on Lycoming creek, on the site of the village of Carpenter. His
son, Samuel MclSTett, who was born in Towanda in 1803, and came into the county
as a babe, is — so far as we are informed — ^the oldest person in that point of residence
now living in the county. In 1811 John Newell came into the township and soon
afterward commenced a clearing on "Joe Hill," about a mile and a half north of
Lycoming creek. He afterward moved to what is now known as Newelltown, below
Carpenter, on the creek. Here he died March 26, 1876, aged eighty-two years.
Samuel Eutty, whose name appears on the assessment list of 1812, settled near the
southeastern corner of the township. John Ellis, whose name is on the assessment
list of 1818, settled about 1816-17. Lyman Spencer settled in the eastern part of
the township about 1816 and 1818. Thomas Bennet settled about the same
time. Benjamin K. Chapman came in 1820 and settled on land occupied tempor-
arily by Eobert Potter. Benjamin Wilson settled in the township about 1822;
Nathaniel Nichols and John Simpkins about 1823; John Watts about 1825; Zepha-
niah Eobbins, Joseph Groover, Milton Smiley, William Taylor, John Turner, and
Captain Gardner between 1825 and 1830.

Among those who settled between 1830 and 1840 were Nathan Palmer, Thomas
Tebo and William Baxrow, who came in 1837; Kev. I. B. Eeynolds and James Hurley,
who came in 1838, and William C. Eathbun, who came in 1839. In 1840 John
Ogden settled on the site of Ogdensburg. In this year also Joseph Wilbur and
Charles M. Dibble settled in the township. In 1841 Patrick McCormick, a native
of Longford county, Ireland, located about three miles and a half northwest of



UNION TOWNSHIP. 651



Eoaxing Branch, near the Liberty township line, and became the founder of the
Irish settlement. In this year also Joshua Eeynolds settled in the township. Patrick
and Peter Skelley and Patrick Wynn, natives of Ireland, came in 1843 and located
in the Irish settlement. Abram Eundall and Mark R. Herrington settled in 1845, and
James Preston and Thomas DeConrsey in 1848, the latter locating in the Irish set-
tlement.

EAKLY AND LATEE ENTEfiPEISBS.

The first saw-mill and grist-mill in the township were erected and operated by
Uriah Loper as early as 1818, in which year these properties were assessed to him.
They evidently did not prove profitable, as no mention of them is made after 1819.
About 1830 Captain Gardner erected a mill near the mouth of Eoaring Branch, which
in 1833 became the property of John Green. In 1846 Mr. Green enlarged it to a
double mill. He ran it until 1858. In 1832 a saw-mill was operated by Nathan
Wood, Jesse GrifBn and Chester Pratt. In 1834 Wood became the owner. Francis
Peltier was running a miU in 1835 and Pelix Peltier in 1837. These mills appear
to have gone down in the financial crisis of the latter year. About 1842 L. X. and
Levi D. Landon erected a saw-mill in the eastern part of the township near the Brad-
ford county line. About 1847 Lewis WeiskopfE purchased Levi D. Landon's interest.
They ran this mill until 1851. About 1844 A. N. Derby erected a saw-mill a
short distance above the mouth of Mill creek, and in 1846 Eeuben Derby erected
a grist-mill. In 1851 these mills were the property of John E. Campbell, who oper-
ated them until 1855.

Between 1850 aid 1860 a number of saw-mills^ were in operation in various
parts of the township. .'Among those owning or running them were Beers & Castle, A.
and T. S. Griswold,' George Groover, Joseph Groover, I. W. Landon, Lovelett
Taylor, Harrison Stratton, Frederick S. Boas and William Brain. About 1872
Geiger & Eockwell erected a grist-mill on Mill creek near its mouth. This mill is
now owned by Eobert Innes. Another grist-mill on Mill creek is operated by
Jonathan Thompson.

SCHOOLS.

The first school house in the township — a log structure — ^was built about a mile
and a half east of Ogdensburg, and stood nearly opposite the Swamp Baptist church.
An early school was also built in the Eutty neighborhood, near the southeastern cor-
ner of the township. The first schools were maintained by subscription. After the
going into effect of the public school law in 1835, the township was divided into
school districts. These, as the township became more settled, were sub-divided, until
at present there are fourteen schools maintained. Among the early teachers were
Hiram Landon, Miss Eockwell, Miss Frisbee, Miss Van Housen, Eev. I. B. Eeynolds,
Hamilton Thomas, D. Manley, Miss Eogers and Janette Eoper.

PHYSICIANS AND JUSTICES.

For thirty years after Union township was organized its inhabitants were de-
pendent for medical and surgical aid upon the physicians and surgeons of Canton,
Blossburg, Ealston, and Williamsport. About 1861 Dr. J. E. Cleveland located in
Ogdensburg, where he continued in practice for nearly twenty years. In February,



652 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTT.



1880, he was succeeded by Dr. Theodore F. Woester, who also located in Ogdens-
burg, and is at present the resident physician of that place. Dr. Orson C. Cole, now
retired, began practice in the township in 1870. For the past two years Dr. Fred.
Bailey has practiced in Eoaring Branch.

The following named persons have served as justices of the peace for the town-
ship since its organization: Martin Eobinson, 1833; Lauson Miller, 1834; Solon
Eichards and William Hill, 1835; John Marvin and Alfred Eipley, 1836; Evan
Harris, 1837; Edwin Dyer and Isaac Drake, 1838; Charles 0. Spencer, 1840; re-
elected, 1845, 1850; Perry Kewell, 1840; Theodore Harding, 1845; Ambrose Barker,
1850; re-elected, 1855, 1860; Abner Doty, 1852; George M. Foster, 1853; E. V. Van
Housen, 1856; Anson Dann, 1861; J. E. Cleveland, 1865; re-elected, 1870; Justin
Bothwell, 1866; A. A. Griswold, 1869; Patrick Wynn, 1874; re-elected, 1879, 1885,
1890; Peter B. Herrington, 1875; re-elected, 1880; Thomas De Coursey, 1884; re-
elected, 1889, 1894; Lawrence Eiley, 1895.

CHUHCHES, CEMETEBIBS AND SOCIETIES.

The Baptist Church of Union, known as the "Swamp Church," was organized
May 9, 1844. The society sustained covenant meetings, gathering in private dwell-
ings, principally at the house of Deacon George Foster, and in the Swamp school
house until December 16, 1858, when their present church building was dedicated.
This building is located about a mile and a half east of Ogdensburg. It is one of
the oldest houses of worship in the county. Eev. E. Loomis contributed largely
toward its erection. The church has always belonged to the Bradford Association,
and has been served by the following named ministers: Eevs. J. E. Burdick, 1844-
45; "W. H. Dwire, 1846; I. B. Eeynolds, 1847-56, 1858-79; C. H. Crowl, 1883-84,
1886-87; W. A. Biss, 1888; J. G. IToble, 1889; G. D. Ballentine, 1890-91; T.
Shearer, 1893; M. C. Decker, 1894; W. H. Porter, 1895-96. The following named
ministers, thought not regularly employed as pastors, have preached and held re-
vival meetings at different times: Eevs. E. Burroughs, E. Loomis, Thomas Mit-
chell and G. P. Watrous. The church now numbers fifty-one members.

The Methodist Episcopal Church at Newelltown is the outgrowth of a class
organized many years ago. It is in the same charge as the churches on Stull
Eidge and at Eoaring Branch and has had the same pastors. A house of worship
was erected in 1873, at a cost of $1,300. It maintains a well-attended Sunday-
school.

The StuU Ridge Methodist Episcopal Church originated in a class organized
about 1850. It afterward dwindled away, but was revived about twenty years ago.
A church building was erected and dedicated in 1881, near the residence of Thomas
Stull, who gave the land on which it stands. The pastors of this church have been
Eevs. Joseph F. Anderson, A. P. Wharton, J. B. Graham, T. S. Pans, J. P. Beyer
and Eobert L. Armstrong. This church now numbers about twenty members.
There are thirty pupils in the Sunday-school, of which Alfred Newell is the super-
intendent.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Roaring Branch originated in a class organ-
ized in 1870. The present house of worship, which cost $3,000, was dedicated
July 7, 1881. The pastors of this church have been Eevs. Mr. Craig, Mr. Edwards,
A. P. Wharton, J. F. Anderson, J. B. Graham, T. S. Faus, J. P. Beyer and Eobert



UNION TOWNSHIP. 653



L. Armstrong. There axe at present about twenty members. A Sunday-school
of sixty pupils is in charge of J. D. Catlin, superintendent.

The Church of Christ of North Union was organized March 37, 1859, with
over sixty members. The following named ministers have served as pastors of
this church: Eevs. Charles McDougall, E. C. Barrow, E. F. Delmont, 1866: B.
H. Hayden, John Daisley, 1883; A. S. Morrison, 1884-85; E. P. Delmont, 1886-89;
J. H. Gordinier, 1890; M. T. Manus, 1891; A. E. Miller, 1891-94, and George Lo-
bingier, 1894-96. This church now numbers 110 members. The congregation
met in the school house until 1888, when a neat church building, with good sheds,
valued at $1,500, was erected.

St. John's Catholic Church was organized about thirty-five years ago, its mem-
bership being made up of the Catholic families of the Irish Settlement. A neat
frame church building, costing $600, was erected in 1880, replacing an older build-
ing erected soon after the church was organized. The present building occupies
a commanding site near the Liberty line, and is one of the landmarks of the town-
ship. The membership of this church now comprises eleven families. It is in the
Blossburg parish, and is served by the priests of the Blossburg church.

The People's Church, erected in 1889, at Ogdensburg, by the Church Building
Society, incorporated August 6, 1888, is a house of worship open to all denomina-
tions, without distinction of "creed or color." It is a neat frame edifice and cost
$1,600.

Cemeteries and graveyards are found in various parts of the township. Those
at Union Center, Ogdensburg, Stull Eidge and Bearing Branch are incorporated.
In these and the graveyards at N^ewelltown and other places in the township lie the
remains of the pioneer settlers and of many of their descendants.

The Secret Societies of the township are as follows: Griffin Lodge, No. 655,
I. 0. 0. P., was organized March 39, 1869. It now numbers thirty-four members,
and meets in Eoaring Branch. Irvin Post, No. 363, G. A. E., organized in 1883,
meets at Ogdensburg. Ogdensburg Tent, No. 196, K. 0. T. M., was organized
August 8, 1893. It meets in Ogdensburg and has twelve members. Mountain
Echo Council, Jr. 0. U. A. M., was instituted April 35, 1894. It meets in Eoaring
Branch. South Union Grange, No. 1093, P. of H., was organized in 1894. There
are also granges at Carpenter, at Union Center and in the Thomas neighborhood,
near the Bradford county line. A lodge of Patrons of Temperance meets at Car-
penter.

VILLAGES.

Penbryn is the name of a station on the Northern Central railroad near the
southeastern corner of the township. The name of the postoffice is Carpenter. The
village lies on both sides of Lycoming creek and is partly in Lycoming county. The
first settler here was Eli McNett, who located on the village site, in Union township,
in 1804. He opened a hotel here about 1830, in a brick building erected for the
purpose. It was known as the Halfway House, because it was half way between
Williamsport, Pennsylvania, and Elmira, New York. It was popular with the
traveling public for many years. On November 8, 1869, a postoffice, called Car-
penter, was established here. Elisha W. Sweet, the first postmaster, was succeeded



g54 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTT.

July 25, 1888, by Eli L. MeNett, who still holds the office. The railroad station
and the stores of Alexander Sweet and A. Carl are in Union township.

Newelltown is situated on Lycoming creek, about a mile and a half below Pen-
bryn. There are three or four farm residences here and two churches, the Metho-
dist Episcopal and the Second Adventist.

Roaring Branch is situated on Lycoming creek, at the mouth of Mill creek.
It is in both Lycoming and Tioga counties, and is a place of considerable import-
ance, on account of the large tannery on the Lycoming side, which gives employment
to over 100 persons. The name of the village is Mill Creek, and it was first settled
about sixty years ago. A postoffice, called Eoaring Branch, was established February
10, 1862. The first postmaster was L. L. Washburn. His successors have been
Charles S. Green, appointed January 19, 1863; Harvey A. Thornton, January 24,
1867; Charles S. Green, September 21, 1869; "William A. "Weaver, April 24, 1883;
Andrew J. Gosline, September 23, 1885; Charles Bubb, the present incumbent,
December 7, 1888. The first store was started about 1856 by Charles S. Green,
who continued in business imtil 1883. The site of this store is in Lycoming
county. The postoffice, the stores of Bubb & Leib and J. "W. Schnar, and the drug
store of C. D. Holcomb are in Tioga county. The first hotel was opened about thirty
years ago by Ider G. Clafiin. This hotel, known as the Mill Creek House, has been
run for the past eight years by J. B. Johnson. The Brainard House is across the
creek in Lycoming county, as is also the station of the Northern Central railway.
The Methodist Episcopal church building, the public school building and the greater
number of the private residences are in Tioga coimty. A daily stage line to Ogdens-
burg and Blossburg connects with trains on the Northern Central railroad.

Ogdensburg, named after John Ogden, who settled on its site in 1840, is situated
west of the center of the township, at the crossing of the Canton and the Blossburg
public roads. A postoffice was established here about 1845. The office of post-
master has been held by the following named persons: John Irvin, B. P. Irvin,
D. Irvin, L. Eiley, D. Irvin and B. S. Taxbox, appointed in August, 1893. The
first hotel here was opened about 1845 by John P. Irvin. The building was de-
stroyed by fire. The present house was erected by H. A. Lawrence about 1883.
He still runs it. The first merchants were Hunt & Harding, who embarked in busi-
ness about 1845. They were succeeded by William Baldwin. The village now
contains a hotel, two general stores, a drug store, a church and a public school
building.

Union Center, a mile and a half east of Ogdensburg, on the Canton road, con-
tains the Swamp Baptist church, a Grange hall and a public school building. A
number of the public roads leading from the north and the south center here.

Gleason is the name of a postoffice in the northeastern part of the township.
It was established in 1878, the first postmaster being John Irvin.



CHAPTEE LIX.

BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES.
Wellsboeo— Delmae and Charleston Townships.



Benjamin Wistae Moheis, the founder of Wellsboro, was born in the City of
Philadelphia, in August, 1763, a son of Samuel Morris, a prominent merchant of that
city. He was a member of the Society of Eriends, then very numerous in Philadel-
phia. When the project of founding an English colony on Pine creek was started,
he became a member of the company and the owner of a large body of land. Having
met with financial reverses in his native city, through becoming security for a
friend, he turned over his available property in Philadelphia to his creditors, re-
serving only the tract of wild land in Tioga township, Lycoming county, a paxt of
which is now the site of Wellsboro, and smarting under the disgrace, as he regarded
it, resolved to bury himself in the wilderness of the Pine creek region and try to
retrieve his fortune. He was then past middle life, but he brought with him his wife,
Mary (Wells) Morris, bom in Philadelphia, September 16, 1761; one unmarried
daughter, Eebecea, and his son, Samuel W., and settled in the wilderness in 1799,
soon after building a log cabin on the site of W. D. Van Horn's residence. It
was dreary and lonely, after the life they had been used to, but they resolutely
braved the trials and tribulations which fell to their lot and succeeded in founding
a new home. In July, 1810, his daughter, Eebecea, married William Cox Ellis, of
Muncy. Mr. Ellis was a representative man of Lycoming county, a member of the
bar, and served in the legislature and in Congress. Mr. Morris held several of&ces
of trust at an early day, among them postmaster of Wellsboro nearly ten years,
and was prominent in the pioneer life of the community. His wife died in Wells-
boro, which was named in her honor, November 6, 1819; he survived her until
April 34, 1835, and died at his home in the same village. They are buried in the
northeastern part of Wellsboro Cemetery, where plain marble slabs mark their
graves.

Samuel Wells Moeeis was bom in Philadelphia, September 1, 1786, and came
with his parents to what is now Tioga county in 1799. He was educated at Prince-
ton College, and subsequently became one of the leading, progressive and dis-
tinguished citizens of northern Pennsylvania. He was the first treasurer of the
county, serving from 1808 to 1809, and the first postmaster of Wellsboro, which
office he filled from January 1, 1808, to December 31, 1813, and was succeeded
by his father. In 1811 he was elected a county commissioner, which office he
resigned to go upon the bench. In July, 1813, he was appointed an associate
judge, and sat upon the bench with Judge Gibson at the opening of the first court
in Wellsboro, in January, 1813. He was then twenty-six years old, and it is doubtful
if a younger man ever served in that capacity in Pennsylvania. He filled the office
until January, 1833. In 1833 he was elected to the legislature, in which body he



656 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

served four years, and was a member of Congress from 1837 to 1841. In 1807
Mr. Morris married Miss Anna Ellis, daughter of "William Ellis, of Muney, Lycom-
ing county, and sister of William Cox Ellis, -who married his sister, Eebecca. Their
children were as follows: William E., a civil engineer, who died in Philadelphia, in
September, 1875; Mary Wells, who married Hon. James Lowrey; Saxah Ellis,
who married Dr. Joseph P. Morris; Susan Marriott, who married Hon. John W.
Guernsey; Benjamin Wistar, Protestant Episcopal bishop of Oregon; Eaehel Wells,
a resident of Portland, Oregon; Ellen, who married Judge Henry Booth, of Chicago;
Charles Ellis, who died in 1887; Anna E., widow of George E. Barker, of German-
town, and mother of William Morris Barker, Protestant Episcopal bishop of
Olympia, Washington; Louisa, who died in Philadelphia, in August, 1864, and
Samuel Wells, a resident of Madison, New Jersey.

Judge Morris was a man of great activity and enterprise. At an early day he
built a grist and saw-mill on his property near Stokesdale Junction, which proved
a great convenience to the pioneers. At that time the place was known as "the
Marsh," and is referred to by that name in the early records. His mill dam in more
modem years has been designated as the "Beaver Dam," but it was built by him for
supplying his mills with water power. It was afterwards torn away by a party of
indignant settlers who believed that the stagnant water was the cause of fever and
ague. Judge Morris was foremost in every improvement which he thought would
advance the interests of the country. He was a strong advocate for making the
Tioga river navigable, and he succeeded in organizing the Tioga Navigation Com-
pany, of which he was the first president. The last public enterprise in which he
was engaged was the construction of the Tioga railroad, to which he devoted ten



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 86 of 163)