Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 89 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 89 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


same plain, kind, modest and unobtrusive man as before. His daily life was pure,
his conversation always chaste, and his inherent charity never permitted him to
criticise his neighbor. In his home he was the ever kind, indulgent husband and
loving father, while even the domestic pets of the family knew and welcomed him
as their friend.

In politics, Mr. Robinson was a strong Republican, always took a deep interest



670 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

in the success of his party, and served as treasurer of Wellsboro for about ten years
preceding his death, and also filled the same office in the school board. He was.
a stockholder and director in the Wellsboro Water Company and a charter member
of Alert Hose Company. He was a prominent member of the Masonic and I. 0.
0. F. societies, and a Knight Templar in Tyagaghton Commandery. In religion,
he was a life-long adherent of St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal church of Wellsboro,
and one of the largest contributors to its support, as well as to the building fund
of the new church edifice now in course of erection. The vestry of St. Paul's
church adopted appropriate resolutions on his death, from which we copy the
following tribute:

The death of Mr. Robinson has brought a deep sense of loss to a large circle of
friends in Wellsboro and beyond, but especially to the parish to which he belonged and
the vestry of which he was the efBcient treasurer. We revere his memory for the interest
he took in the welfare of the parish; for the careful attention he gave to the duties that
devolved upon him as vestryman and treasurer; for his valuable advice and wise
counsel; for the courtesy, cordiality and enthusiasm which he brought to bear upon
every cause that he espoused, and for the upright character and unsullied name that he
bore through life. We shall hold in grateful remembrance the financial aid which he
gave to the parish and his bountiful contribution to the new church. We shall look back
upon him as a Christian gentleman, an efficient parish officer, a trusted friend and
brother, whose death we shall always mourn and whose memory we shall ever hold in
affectionate esteem.

John W. Bailey was bom in Charleston township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
November 27, 1834, eldest son of Eoswell and Julia A. (Kockwell) Bailey, pioneers
of this county. His boyhood days were spent on his father's farm and his primary
education was obtained in the common schools of the district. But sixteen years
old when his father died, he succeeded him in charge of the old homestead. In
later years he purchased about 600 acres of land and engaged in cattle dealing,
probably buying and shipping more stock than any other man in the northern
tier during that period. In 1870 he removed to Wellsboro, where he soon became
one of the prominent and enterprising citizens. He dealt extensively in agricul-
tural implements and lumber for twenty years, and always gave the most liberal
credits to his patrons. Mr. Bailey was a member of the firm that established "the
tannery at Stokesdale, and was an active agent in the building of the Corning, Cow-
anesque and Antrim, and the Pine Creek railroads, being a director of the latter
company. He was also a director in the United States Grlass Company, and one
of the organizers of the First National Bank of Wellsboro, in which institution he
was an honored and trusted director until his death. Always ready and willing to
take a leading part in every public enterprise which he believed would promote
the interests of Wellsboro, and ever on the alert to encourage any project that might
add to the general welfare of his native county, Mr. Bailey won the admiration,
respect and confidence of the whole people. He was eminently adapted to com-
mand the co-operation and support of Ms fellowmen, as he always went into what-
ever he undertook with earnestness, enthusiasm and confidence, thus inspiring
others with his own sentiments. Possessing imbounded public spirit, whole-souled
generosity and broad charity, he never turned a deaf ear to the cry of suffering or
distress. A warm, consistent friend of the working classes, he was honored and
trusted by them to the close of his life. While accumulating a large estate, he



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. g71

gave liberally to religion, charity ajid education, and was one of the most generous
citizens of AVellsboro throughout his long and active business career. Mr. Bailey
wielded a wide influence in tlie local councils of the Democratic pai-ty, and was a
stalwart in his fealty to its principles and candidates. He was chairman of the
county committee a number of years, represented the county in several state con-
ventions, and was a delegate to the national convention at Chicago in 1892. He
served in the borough council several' terms, ajid also filled the ofEees of burgess and
school director, always taking a deep interest in the gro^^^th of the public school
system.

On Christmas Day, 1843, Mr. Bailey married Margaret L. Lewis, a daughter
of Thomas Lewis, of Charleston township. She was born October 17, 1827, and
died November 19, 1883, after a happy companionship of nearly forty years. They
became the parents of twelve children, ten, of whom grew to an adult age, as
follows: Eva A., wife of Dr. M. L. Bacon, of Wellsboro; Edward, deceased;
Llewellyn L., of Wellsboro; Ada B., deceased wife of Louis Doumaux; Morton S.,
a resident of Colorado; Lloyd J., of California; Leon 0., who lives in Indiana; Lee
M., deceased; Fred W., a resident of Denver, and Mildred L. On. ISTovember 28,
1889, Mr. Bailey maxried Mrs. Julia McClelland, a daughter of Michael Dunlde, of
Jersey Shore, who yet survives. He died July 12, 1892, soon after his return from
the Democratic National Convention, and was buried with Masonic honors, as he
was a member of 0.ssea Lodge, JSTo. 317, F. & A. M. The whole community
sincerely mourned the death of one whose place could not be easily filled — a
man whose warm, friendly greeting and substantial assistance brought sunshine
into many a weary ajid discouraged heart. On the day of his funeral the stores
and shops in "Wellsboro were closed and a large delegation of workingmen marched
in the funeral procession as a mark of respect to his memory.

Llewellyn L. Bailey was bom in Charleston township, Tioga county, January
30, 1849, a son of John W. Bailey, and grandson of Eoswell Bailey. He was educated
in the public schools and at Mansfield State Normal; and when seventeen years of
age entered a drug store in Blossburg, where he clerked three years. He then came
to Wellsboro and worked for his father two years, at the end of which time he
established a feed and supply store at Antrim. Two years later he sold out and
entered the First National Bank of "Wellsboro as book-keeper, which position he
filled from 1873 to 1882. In 1880 he was elected a director and served until July,
1896. He was made" assistant cashier in 1882 and acted as such until January 1,
1893, when he became cashier, and occupied that position until October, 1894, when
he resigned to talce charge of the estate of Philip "Williams. In January, 1897,
he was elected vice-president of the "Wellsboro ugh National Bank. Mr. Bailey mar-
ried Elizabeth C. Hill, a daughter of Eev. H. F. Hill, of Lindley, New York. Seven
children blessed this union, named as follows: Mabel E., deceased; Arthur L.,
book-keeper for Mathers, Graves & Company; Harry F;, Margaret L., John "W., Edith
A. and Catherine E. Mrs. Bailey died June 11, 1888, aad he was again married to
Carrie J. Hastings, a daughter of E. H. Hastings, of "Wellsboro. The family are
adherents of the Baptist church, and in politics, Mr. Bailey is a Democrat. He
has filled the offices of school director and councilman for two terms each, and is
one of the enterprising and progressive citizens of his native county.

Hon. Morton S. Bailey was bom in Charleston township, Tioga county, July



g72 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

3, 1855, a son of John W. Bailey, and was reared on the homestead farm. Eemoving
to Wellsboro with his parents in 1870, he attended the Wellsboro High School and
later followed teaching for a short period. He graduated at Lafayette College,
Easton, Pennsylvania, in 1880, and soon after went to Colorado, where he began at
once the study of law, and was admitted to practice in August, 1882. He soon
developed into political prominence and was elected to the State Senate by the
Democratic party in a district at that time largely Kepublican. After serving
one session, he was elected in the autiunn of 1891, judge of the Eleventh Judicial
district and resigned his seat in the Senate to go upon the bench. Judge Bailey
was re-elected in 1894, as the candidate of the Democrats and Populists.
The Eleventh district had heretofore been Eepublican, and his election twice in
succession was a high tribute to his worth and popularity. Judge Bailey is recog-
nized in his State as a lawyer of solid legal attainments and unquestioned integrity,
and he has won a high reputation for the impartiality and fairness of his decisions.
In the fall of 1896 he was the Democratic nominee for governor of Colorado, but
failed of election.

Leon 0. Bailey was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, June 21, 1857,
and was educated in the public schools of Wellsboro and at Cornell University. He
later removed to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he studied law in the of&ce of Baker,
Hord & Hendricks, and was admitted to the bar of Marion county at the age of
twenty-three. In 1886 he was elected to the State Senate, as a Democrat, and
served one term as assistant to the attorney general of Indiana. He was sub-
sequently the Democratic nominee for Congress in that district, and also served
as city solicitor of Indianapolis, in which city he still resides.

Julius M. Bailey, second son of Clark W. Bailey, was born in Charleston
township, Tioga county, March 30, 1835, was educated in the common schools, and
has followed agriculture the greater portion of his life. He also operated for a time
a saw and grist-mill in his native township. On February 11, 1856, he married
Eunice Benedict, a daughter of Marcus and Lucy (Jennings) Benedict, of Charleston
township, to which union have been born five children, viz: Eansom W., Alice E.,
deceased wife of Garrett Campbell; Flora A., who died in infancy; Lucy B., wife of
Frank Eockwell, and Lora V., wife of Peter L. Abrams. In January, 1893, Mr.
Bailey and his son, Eansom W., purchased their present business in Wellsboro, and
in April, 1894, he removed his family to that borough, where he has since carried
on the wagon, farm implement and harness business.

Eansom W. Bailey, eldest child of Julius M. Bailey, was bom in Charleston
township, Tioga county, October 24, 1857, and obtained his education in the
public schools and the State ISTormal School of Mansfield. He afterwards taught
school for two years, and for the following three years worked on his father's farm,
and then purchased a farm in Charleston township, upon which he lived seven
years. Forming a partnership with his uncle, Clark B. Bailey, he went to
Elkland and engaged in the foundry and agricultural implement business, which
he followed three years. On January 1, 1893, he and his father purchased their
present business in Wellsboro, where they have since been engaged as dealers in
wagons, farm implements, harness, etc. Mr. Bailey was married June 33, 1879, to
Lena Partridge, a daughter of Chester and Eachel Partridge, of Charleston town-
ship, and has four children, viz: Edith M., Eunice, Julius and Catherine. The



''^.y"



%! tt"".



BIOGEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 673

family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Bailey is connected
with the Knights of Honor.

Ellis M. Bodine was born in Jersey Shore, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania,
January 3, 1801, a son of Isaac and Catherine (Casper) Bodine. His father came
from New Jersey with the Mannings in the last decade of the Eighteenth century,
and settled in Jersey Shore, Lycoming coimty, where both he and wife died. Ellis
M. was the third in a family of seven children. He grew to manhood in his native
town, where he attended the public schools in boyhood, and learned the tanner's trade
with Abram Lawshe, of that place. In 1837 he married Margaret Shearer, a daugh-
, ter of James Shearer, an early settler of Lycoming county, and in 1838 came to
Wellsboro and purchased the Joseph Fish tannery. He conducted this business
until 1846, when he erected a larger building, in which he carried on the business
up to 1848, when the plant was burned. He then became a fanner, and followed
agriculture until five years before his death, when he sold the farm to his son,
Abram L., and retired from active labor. Nine children were bom of his marriage
with Margaret Shearer, as follows: Sarah E., wife of Dr. H. S. Greeno, of Kansas
City, Mo.; Isaac M. and Abram L., residents of "Wellsboro; Ellis B., who died at
the age of fifty-six; Ellen A., widow of Eev. M. F. DeWitt; Catherine A., wife of
John W. "Wright, of "Washington, D. C; Lewis T., a resident of Chicago; Eobert W.,
of "Wellsboro, and Margaret A., wife of Charles M. Moore, of "Williamsport. Mrs.
Bodine died February 3, 1845, in her thirty-third year, having been born March 3,
1813. Mr. Bodine was again married, to Aurilla H. Coolidge, a daughter of Amos
Coolidge, who bore him two children: Henry F., of Billings, Montana, and Ida,
who died at the age of twenty-five years. Mr. Bodine died in "Wellsboro, August 14,
1889, in the eighty-ninth year of his age. His widow resides with Abram L.
Bodine, of Wellsboro, and is in her eightieth year. Mr. Bodine was active in the
cause of education, and the part he took in organizing the first common schools in
the borough will be found related in the chapter on the schools of "Wellsboro. He
was also foremost in promoting the interests of his adopted home, and lived long
enough to see it become a thrifty and prosperous town.

Isaac M. Bodine, a son of Ellis M. and Margaret (Shearer) Bodine, was born
in "Wellsboro, Tioga county, February 4, 1830, and was educated in the common
schools of the borough. From 1848 to 1850 he clerked in the store of C. & J. L.
Eobinson, and during the years 1850 and 1851 he traveled through the South. Upon
his return to "Wellsboro he accepted the position of superintendent of the mines at
Blossburg, where he had charge of the company store and also acted as paymaster for
eight years. In 1860 he returned to "Wellsboro and built the saw-mill on Queen
street, now operated by S. A. Hiltbold. The same year he also purchased the
farm in the northwestern part of the borough upon which he now lives, and during
recent years has devoted his attention to farming. Mr. Bodine was married
September 9, 1863, to Mary E. Stowell, a daughter of Hezekiah and Anna Stowell,
and has two children, viz: Anna, wife of Clarence E. Shumway, of Coming, and
Mayne C, and employe of the Fall Brook Coal Company in the same city. Mrs.
Bodine died January 26, 1876, aged thirty-five years. In politics, Mr. Bodine was
an old line "Whig until the organization of the Eepublican party, with which he
has since affiliated. In religion he is an adherent of the Protestant Episcopal church.

48



674 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

He has served a number of years as deputy sheriff, fifteen years as a Justice of the
peace, and has filled various borough offices.

Abeam L. Bodine was born in Wellsboro, Tioga county, October 9, 1833, and is
the second son of Ellis M. and Margaret Bodine. He attended the public schools
of his native town, and when twenty-one years of age began clerking in a general
store at Blossburg, where he later engaged in merchandising, which he followed
about thirteen years. He was also in the hotel biisiness at Blossburg and Morris
for a period. In 1883 he purchased the homestead farm from his father, and two
years later sold it and bought his present one in Delmar, now occupied by his son,
William T., and finally took up his residence in Wellsboro, where he now lives. Mr.
Bodine was married February 3, 1855, to Julia A. Tillotson, a daughter of Napoleon
B. Tillotson, of Delaware county, New York, bom February 3, 1839. Five children
are the fruits of this union, viz: Ada M., William T., Frederick M., Catherine J. and
Henry E. Mr. and Mrs. Bodine are members of the Presbyterian church. In poli-
tics, he is independent, and is connected with the Patrons of Husbandry.

William T. Bodine, eldest son of Abram L. Bodine, was bom in Wellsboro,
Tioga county, August 15, 1861, and obtained a public school education. He has
devoted his entire attention to farming, and has charge of his father's farm in
Delmar. On January 4, 1882, he married Ettie G. Wilkins, a daughter of Alva
Wilkins, of Morris, and has three children: Alfred W., Josephine M. and Julia C.
Mr. Bodine and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and also of
the Patrons of Husbandry. In politics, he is a Democrat, and one of the enter-
prising farmers of Delmar.

Feed. M. Bodine, D. D. S., was born in Wellsboro, Tioga county, September
33, 1867, a son of Abram L. Bodine, and grandson of Ellis M. Bodine. He was
educated in the public schools of his native town, and graduated in dentistry from
the University of Pennsylvania in the spring of 1892. He opened an office in Wells-
boro, in June, 1892, where he has since devoted his attention to the duties of his
profession, and has built up a good practice. Dr. Bodine was married on August
33, 1893, to Adelaide Shaw, a daughter of Eev. A. C. Shaw, of Wellsboro. He is a
member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the dental fraternity. Delta Sigma Delta, and
Edwin T. Darby Dental Society of Philadelphia, and both he and wife are members
of the Presbyterian church.

Eeastus P: Deane, a native of Petersham, Massachusetts, bom November 26,
1809, was a son of Daniel and Jerusha (Houghton) Deane. His father was bom in
Petersham, in 1771, a son of Jeremiah Deane, a native of Dedham, Massachusetts,
and spent about eighty years of his life on a farm in his native State. He died at
the home of his son, Erastus P., in Delmar township, Tioga county, October 10,
1866, aged ninety-five years. Erastus P. was reared on a farm, and received an
academic education, devoting particular attention to the acquisition of the knowl-
edge of surveying, a business he followed throughout his whole life. In a letter
written to a friend in 1879, Mr. Deane tells how he came to settle in Tioga county.
He says:

I came to Wellsboro April 25, 1S34, very much broken in health. I left Petersham,
Worcester county, Massachusetts, with the design of spending the summer somewhere
among the Allegheny hills, and fetched up at Wellsboro. As my health was somewhat



BI06KAPHICAL SKETCHES. 675



improved, I agreed to take charge of the Academy three months, designing at that time
to go south in the early autumn. The three months' engagement having expired, and no
teacher having been employed, I agreed to continue the school a month and a half
longer. At the expiration of that time — October 13, 1834 — I was so much mended up that
I went into the woods with my compass, where 1 have been most of the time since.

He had received a fine education, which not only qualified him for teaching,
but surveying also. He purchased a farm in Delmar, and June 39, 1837, he mar-
ried Mary E. McEwen, a native of Philadelphia, eldest daughter of John MeEwen,
also of Delmar township. He went to work with a will and cleared a fine farm
which he took great pleasure in cultivating, as his tastes ran largely to agriculture.
His profession of land surveying led him into all the counties of northern and
central Pennsylvania, and he acquired much knowledge regarding the location of
surveys. One of his great natural gifts was his wonderfully retentive memory. It
was in fact phenomenal, and was of invaluable service to him in his profession.
His ability to recall dates and data, and to identify marks and localities in the
woods, was remarkable; and then to make it doubly sure, his correctness was found
to be so absolutely true, that no doubt was entertained when, his statement was
heard. Mr. Deane lived on his farm in Delmar until 1874, when he moved his
family into Wellsboro, where he resided until his death, September 22, 1881, which
was caused by injuries sustained by falling into a railroad culvert at Coming, N"ew
York, while on his way to Williamsport to attend court. His wife died April 30,
1879. When he came into the county his health was poor, but constajit exercise in
the pure mountain air, and on his farm, made him strong and vigorous. He was
inclined to be reticent, and was somewhat retiring in his disposition, but he was pos-
sessed of extensive knowledge and his character was above reproach. He was
appointed county surveyor in 1836 and served three years in that office. Mr. Deane
and wife were the parents of the following named children: C. Augusta, wife of
Henry Bacon, of Havanna, South Dakota; Darius L., of Wellsboro; Daniel A.,
deceased; Cecil A., a civil engineer of Denver, Colorado; Luella I., Caroline A.,
and Mary E., deceased wife of A. S. Cooper, of Black Eiver Falls, Wisconsin.

David Stuerock, one of the early and sturdy citizens of Wellsboro, was born
in Forfarshire, Scotland, March 7, 1809. He learned the trade of a carpenter and
joiner in his native country. When out of his apprenticeship he married Jane
Sands, who was born in Scotland, August 25, 1811. She bore him eight children,
as follows: A. G., a carpenter and builder of Wellsboro; Eobert W., who enlisted in
Company F, Fifth Eeserve, was promoted to captain, and was killed at the battle of
Gaines' Mills, June 27, 1862, being then in his twenty-sixth year; Margaret, widow of
William Eoberts, of Wellsboro; Jane, a resident of Port Townsend, Washington;
Barbara, wife of Darius L. Deane, of Wellsboro; William D., who enlisted February
24, 1864, in Company A, One Hundred and Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania Volun-
teers, and who died at David's Island Hospital, New York, August 20, 1864; Mary,
deceased wife of W. J. Bowers, of Horseheads, New York, and George A., a resident
of Port Tovmsend, Washington. In 1833 Mr. Sturrock came to America and in 1834
located in Wellsboro. He was recognized as one of the best practical builders of
his time, and was respected for his honesty and integrity. Mrs. Sturrock died
August 20, 1881, and he survived her until October 31, 1888.



676 HISTORY OP TIOGA COUNTY.

Salmok Shehwood was born in Fairfield county, Connecticut, within the
limits of the present city of Bridgeport, where his ancestors had lived continu-
ously since 1645. Thomas Sherwood, founder of the family in America, was an
Englishman who sailed from Ipswich, England, in 1634, landing at Plymouth the
same year, whence he removed to Fairfield, Connecticut, in 1645, where he resided
until his death. Salmon was of the sixth generation from Thomas Sherwood. He
was a man of fair education, a surveyor, school teacher and farmer, and served in
a Virginia regiment, with the rank of lieutenant, under Generals St. Clair and
Wayne during the campaigns against the Indian tribes of Ohio. After the cam-
paign of 1793, he was employed by the proprietors of the lajids about the Boone
settlement in Kentucky as a surveyor. While there he married a Miss Stanley,
who was massacred by the Indians. They had one son, Stephen, who escaped. After
a residence in Kentucky of some four years, he returned to Connecticut on horse-
back, bringing his young son, then three years old, with him. On his way from the
Susquehanna valley to the lake country in New York, he passed through Tioga
county, over the Williamson road. His son, Stephen, was killed or died in the naval
service during the War of 1812. Salmon Sherwood was again married in 1797, to
Phoebe Burritt, and by this marriage reared a family of nine sons and two daughters.
Farming and surveying were his principal occupations. He served several terms
in the legislature and Senate of Connecticut, and was a captain in the War of 1812.
The wants of a growing family induced him to seek a new country where land was
cheaper, and he removed from Connecticut to Chemung (now Schuyler) county,
New York, in 1817, where he bought a large tract of new land. He gave his family
such advantages as the schools of the period and neighborhood afforded. His
eldest son, Burritt, was a graduate of a medical college and practiced his pro-
fession in New York City until his death, in 1854, at which time he was surgeon
of the ill-fated steamer, Arctic, which sunk off Cape Eace in the fall of 1854. Dr.



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 89 of 163)