Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 90 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 90 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Sherwood was detained at home by sickness and died about the same time the
vessel was lost. Three of the sons, Charles, Henry and Julius, became lawyers, the
last two being well-known residents of Wellsboro, Tioga county, at their death.
Charles died at Messina, Sicily, in 1846, where he was then serving as United
States Consul. One son, Walter, was educated at West Point Military Academy,
and was killed in Florida during the Seminole war. Another son, George, was an
engineer and died in New Orleans, from sickness contracted during the Mexican
War; while Stanley, Rollin and James were farmers, the first of whom died in
Tioga coimty. Salmon Sherwood died in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, ia
1853, aged eighty-four years. His wife, Phoebe, died in Schuyler county, New
York, at the honae of her daughter, Mrs. Hinman, in 1872, aged ninety-six years.
Four of their sons died in the service of the government, and during the Rebellion
every one of their surviving sons and grandsons of military age were in the Union
army or represented there. Two of their children still survive, viz: James, of
Bradford county, aged eighty-six years, and Mrs. Phoebe Hinman, aged ninety
years, who lives in Schuyler county. New York.

William Haehison was one of the pioneer carpenters of Wellsboro, Tioga
county, coming here a single man in 1833, where he at once found employment
on the stone court house, then in course of erection. He was a native of New



BI06HAPHICAL SKETCHES. g77

Jersey, and soon after his advent in Wellsboro he married Catherine Meek, a
daughter of Leonaa:ii and Mary Meek, natives of England, whence the family immi-
grated to Pennsylvania. Her father was one of the early tailors and merchants
of "Wellsboro, coming here in 1833, where he conducted business for many years.
Mrs. Harrison was bom in England, October 10, 1816. She became the mother
of seven children, viz: Jefferson, a lawyer, of Wellsboro; Mary, Albert, deceased;
Sarah, Leonard, president of the First National Bank of Wellsboro, and William and
Catherine, both of whom died in childhood. Mr. Harrison continued the business
of carpenter and builder for a number of years, but later purchased a farm in
Delmar and lived in that township for quite a long period. Keturning to Wellsboro,
he spent his declining years in the family home on Main street, now occupied by his
widow, where he died January 18, 1885, aged eighty-four years. Mr. Harrison
was a life-long member of the Presbyterian church, to which denomination his-
widow belongs. He was a good neighbor and an honest man, and is kindly re-
membered by the community among whom the greater portion of his life was
passed.

Leonaed Haeeison, president of the First National Bajik of Wellsboro, was
born in that borough, January 10, 1850, a son of William and Catherine Harrison,
and has spent his entire life in his native county. He attended the public schools
until the age of fifteen, and then began clerking in the postof&ce under Hon. Hugh
Young. He subsequently worked with his father at the carpenter business up to
1878, and the following six years was clerk in the commissioners' office. In the
meantime he had devoted some attention to lumbering, and in 1883 went into the
coal business, with which he was connected over ten years. His principal success,
however, has been attained in the lumber business, which he has prosecuted with
energy and remarkable judgment for several years, being now recognized as one of
the most successful lumbermen in Tioga county. As a tribute to his business and
financial prominence and integrity, Mr. Harrison was chosen in August, 1896, presi-
dent of the First National Bank, to succeed the late Jesse M. Eobinson. On July
2, 1882, he married Miss Mary Green, a daughter of Peter and Agnes Green, of
Delmar township, to which union have been born three children: Emily, deceased;
Kaj;e and George. The family are Presbyterians in religious belief. The handsome
new church of that denomination in Wellsboro was erected under the personal super-
vision of Mr. Harrison, and owes much to his generous liberality and knowledge of
the builder's art. He is a member of the board of trustees, and takes a deep inter-
est in the Sabbath-school, as well as in all else pertaining to the church. In politics,
he has always been a Eepublican, and has filled the office of school director nine
years, also that of burgess, collector and borough clerk.

EoBEET C. Simpson was bom in the irillage of MofEat, Dumfrieshire, Scotland,
September 27, 1823. His father was an Englishman and his mother a native of
Scotland. In August, 1834, the family came to the United States and settled at
Silver Lake, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, Eobert being then about eleven
years old. At the age of fourteen he began clerking in a general store at Montrose,
and he subsequently became a teacher in the Montrose Academy. Here he was mar-
ried in his twenty-first year, and two years later the young couple came to Wellsboro,
Tioga county, where Mr. Simpson found employment as a clerk in the office of the



678 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Bingham estate, which position he filled one year. Eeturning to Montrose he
engaged in merchandising. Abont 1850 he moved to Towanda, Bradford coimty,
and became teller in the bank of LaPort, Mason & Company, and five years later
went to Seranton to accept the cashiership in the bank of Mason, Meylert & Com-
pany, which he held three years. He then returned to Wellsboro and became chief
clerk in the Bingham oifice. When William B. Clymer went to Europe, in 1869,
Mr. Simpson had charge of the business, and after the death of Mr. Clymer he suc-
ceeded him as agent and attorney of the estate. From that time until his death
he discharged the duties of this responsible position with characteristic zeal, unflag-
ging industry, sound Judgment and strict integrity, winning not only a well-earned
competence, but the confidence and esteem of those for whom he acted. He was
a proficient accountant and an accurate and methodical business man. Having a
great deal of land business to transact, in the matter of titles and conveyances, he was
admitted to the bar of Tioga county, ex gratia, in 1880, a compliment he highly
esteemed. He also took a deep interest in the bar association and was one of its
most liberal and useful members. Prior to the Eebellion Mr. Simpson was a Demo-
crat, but at that time he became a Eepublican. He remained a faithful supporter
of the Eepublican part}' the balance of his life, and was chairman of the county com-
mittee in 1874. In early manhood he was an Odd Fellow, and in later years became
a Mason. He was a member of the committee that revised the constitution of the
Grand Lodge, at which period he was one of the leading members of the Masonic
order in northern Pennsylvania.

Mr. Simpson's hearty and enduring love of l^ature, animate and inanimate,
was one of the dominant traits of his character. He was a sjrmpathetic friend of
birds and animals of every kind, and could not brook the least cruelty to even the
humbler members of Nature's family. Such a man was naturally a generous friend
of poor, suffering humanity, quick to discern and prompt to relieve distress. He
gave without ostentation and as secretly as possible, and any reference to his bene-
factions was sure to be rebuked. Frank, outspoken, honest and truthful, he could
not tolerate any attempt at deception or trickery on the part of others. Mr. Simp-
son was a well-informed man, a close observer of men and events, and possessed a
sound and cultivated taste for good literature. A discriminating buyer of choice
books, he accumulated through the passing years a fine library and was thoroughly
familiar with its contents. His old home, standing in a dense grove of pines, has
been long regarded as one of the landmarks of AVellsboro. Here he passed to eternal
rest, April 15, 1893, leaving a widow and three daughters, his only son having died
several years before.

Col. Alanson E. Niles, a son of Nathan Niles, Jr., was born October 5, 1816,
and grew to manhood in this county, where his father settled in 1796. He was
among the first to respond to his country's call, and was early in the field as cap-
tain of Company E, of the "Bucktails." At Drainsville he was severely wounded
by being shot through the lungs. After recovering he hastened back to his
regiment. At Gaines Hill he was taken prisoner with Companies D and E, and
spent forty-nine days in Libby Prison, when they were exchanged. He was pro-
moted to the rank of major, March 1, 1863, and on the fifteenth of May following he
was made lieutenant colonel of the regiment. It was while with the "Bucktails"



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 679



in their charge on Little Eound Top, Gettysburg, that he was wounded in the left
thigh. He was afterward transferred to the Veteran Eeserve Corps and pro-
moted to the rank of colonel. On the night President Lincoln was assassinated,
he was in Ford's Theater and heard the pistol shot. Colonel ISTiles participated
in many battles and was recognized as one of the "bravest of the brave." During
the Grand Eeview in Washington he was of&cer of the day and had full military
charge of the city on that memorable occasion. He was commissioned a captain in the
regular army and for three years was stationed at Plattsburg, New York, as com-
mandant of the military barracks. In 18G9 he was retired on account of disability,
by reason of his wounds, with the rank and pay of a captain, and he took up his
residence in Wellsboro, where he died October 8, 1891.

Gen. Robekt Coeson Cox is one of the oldest, most respected and best known
citizens of "Wellsboro. He is a native of Fairfield township, Lycoming county, Pena-
sylvania, where he was born November 18, 1833, a son of William and Haimah
(Corson) Cox, the former a native of Montour county, of L-ish ancestry, and the
latter of Lycoming countj^, of German-Quaker stock. His parents removed to
Delmar township, Tioga county, when Eobert C. was about two months old,
where they lived some twelve years and then returned to their former home in
Lycoming county. In April, 1841, the family again came to this county and settled
near the site of Liberty borough. Here the mother died in May, 1843, and the father
in February, 1856. Eobert C. was in his eighteenth year when his parents located
in Liberty township, and had spent his boyhood assisting them on the farm, attend-
ing the common schools during the winter seasons and enduring the trials and
hardships of those early days. On April 7, 1846, he married Lydia Ann Wheeland,
a daughter of George and Mary K. Wheeland, of Liberty, whose ancestors were
pioneers of Loyalsock township, Lycoming county, whence her parents removed to
Liberty township, Tioga county, in 1837. Three children blessed this union, as fol-
lows: Henry C, cashier of the First National Bank of Wellsboro; Mary E., deceased
wife of Jacob K. Eichards, and Carrie M., deceased wife of Alfred P. Dartt. After
his marriage Mr. Cox took charge of the homestead farm, on which his father had
paid $500, but on account of a defective title our subject was compelled to repurchase
the property. Here he lived, clearing the land and tilling the soil, until 1854, when
he sold the farm and embarked in merchandising and lumbering at Liberty, which
business he followed until entering the army in 1863. In the meantime he had
served six years as orderly sergeant of a volunteer cavalry company, and was brigade
inspector of militia, with the rank of major, from 1854 up to the first year of the war.
On the breaking out of the Eebellion he at once took an active and prominent
part in raising troops to defend the flag, some of which were not accepted, Penn-
sylvania's quota being full. But in August, 1863, he went to Harrisburg with the
drafted men from Tioga county, and on the organization of the One Hundred and
Seventy-first Pennsylvania Volunteers he was elected major of the regiment, his
commission dating November 18, 1863. This regiment served about one year, prin-
cipally on garrison duty in North Carolina, and was mustered out at Harrisburg in
August, 1863. In the summer of 1864 General Cox was authorized by Adjutant
General Eussell to raise a regiment, and the result of his efforts in that direction was
the gallant Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, of which com-
mand he was commissioned colonel September 28, 1864. The regiment participated



680 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

in the closing scenes of the war, including Hatcher's Eun, Port Steadman, the assault
on and capture of Petersburg, and the surrender of Lee at Appomattox. In
March, 1865, while in front of Petersburg, the regiment presented General Cox with
a horse and complete outfit, valued at $550, as a token of their appreciation of his
soldierly qualities and the warm place he had in their affections. Its brave and
efficient commander was brevetted brigadier general April 9, 18G5, participated with
his regiment in the grand review at Washington, D. C, was mustered out with his
command at Alexandria, Virginia, May 31, 1865, and was discharged at Harrisburg
on June 5, following. Eeturning to his home at Liberty, General Cox resumed the
peaceful pursuits of merchandising and lumbering, and again became a plain Ameri-
can citizen.

In politics. General Cox was originally a Whig, casting his first vote for Henry
Clay for president, and has been a consistent Eepublican since the organization of
that pari;y. He served as a justice of the peace in Liberty from 1862 to 1867, and
was postmaster of that borough from April, 1869, until the autumn of the same
year, when he was elected treasurer of Tioga county, which office he filled one term.
While still treasurer he was elected prothonotary and clerk of the court, November
13, 1872, and was re-elected six successive terms, serving in that office a period of
twenty-one consecutive years. He has been a permanent resident of Wellsboro since
the fall of 1872, and is widely known in northern Pennsylvania.

General Cox and wife have been members of the Methodist Episcopal church
for nearly half a century, and have lived to celebrate the golden anniversary of their
marriage. Few men are more favorably known in this section of the State than this
old veteran, whose unsullied integrity and clean military and official record have
endeared him to the people of Tioga county. At his last election as prothonotary
he received 9,302 votes, or fifty-eight more than the combined vote cast for Pattison
and Delamater, and during the closing year of that term he was frequently urged by
many leading men in different parts of the county to again be a candidate for the
office which he had filled so long and faithfully, but he firmly declined and retired
to private life. Here in the happy companionship of his affectionate wife, his faith-
ful helpmate through both sunshine and shadow, he is spending the sunset of a suc-
cessful and honorable career in the enjoyment of the esteem and confidence of the
entire community.

Hon. Hugh Young, the veteran bank examiner, has had a long and varied pub-
lic career as correspondent, editor, legislator, bank examiner and president of the
Wellsborough National Bank. He is a native of Killyleagh, County Down, Ireland,
born on the 14th of December, 1832, a twin brother of the late Thomas L. Young, ex-
governor of Ohio. Their parentage, on both sides of the parental tree, were Scotch-
Irish Presbyterians, the Youngs and the Kennedys having emigrated from Ayrshire,
Scotland, to Ulster, Ireland, in the Seventeenth century. When the twins were
together, even in manhood, it was impossible for a stranger to distinguish them apart,
so closely did they resemble each other.

Hugh immigrated to this country in 1850, ajQd lived with his brother, the late
Eobert Kennedy- Young, a prosperous fanner of Potter county, who sent him to the
Coudersport Academy. Here we find him as clerk in a store for a year, and for
three years afterwards as a law student with the late Hon. John S. Mann, supporting
himself by teaching and surveying. Not having much fancy for the practice of



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 681

the law he never asked for admission to the bar, but turned his attention to journal-
ism, writing his first letters to the New York Herald in 1855, describing the Nor-
wegian colony on Kettle creek, the grand opening celebration at Oleona, and Ole
Bull's castle, topics which attracted much attention at that time.

In 1856 Mr. Young went with the congressional investigating committee to
Kansas, of which Hon. John Sherman was chairman, as correspondent of the New
York Tribune, and was an eye witness of many of the guerrilla fights between the
Free State forces under John Brown and Gen. Jim Lane, and the Border Ruffians
under Stringfellow, Eichardson and others; and his letters signed "Potter" were
quoted by every newspaper and every orator either in denunciation or approval during
the heated presidential campaign of that year.

In April, 1856, George W. Brown, the editor of the Herald of Freedom, at Law-
rence, the first Eepublican newspaper published in the territory of Kansas, was
arrested for treason, with four others, and confined at Lecompton. At Brown's
request Mr. Young took charge of the paper as associate editor and continued its
publication until it was destroyed by a mob, May 21, and continued as associate editor
for a year after the paper was re-established. His health failing through malaria,
Mr. Young returned to his old home in Pennsylvania, and became book-keeper in
the" office of the Bingham estate at Coudersport, where he remained until December,
1858, when he purchased the Agitator at Wellsboro. During the war for the Union
Mr. Young made his newspaper a household necessity in nearly every Tioga county
family, by engaging a correspondent in every regiment and in nearly every company
in which Tioga county soldiers were enlisted.

In 1862 he sold the Agitator to its founder, M. H. Cobb, and went into business
as a bookseller and insurance agent. In 1876 he was elected to the legislature, but
resigned in May, 1877, to accept the office of national bank examiner. He was
removed for political reasons in February, 1888, and in the fall of that year he
founded the Wellsborough National Bank. In 1889 he was a candidate for comp-
troller of the currency, but failed to get the appointment. In November, 1891, he
was called into the public service again as special bank examiner, and by unanimous
petition of the bankers of Pittsbiirg he was assigned for duty in that city by the
comptroller of the currency.

Mr. Young has always taken a lively interest in the social, moral, industrial,
civic, and literary life of the people of the borough in which he has resided for so
many years. He has been honored by his fellow citizens in being chosen to many
local positions of responsibility and trust.

In polities Mr. Yoimg has always been a Eepublican, and cast his first vote
(1854) for Gov. James Pollock, who appointed him on his military staff as an aid-
de-camp with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He was a delegate from the territory
of Kansas to the first Eepublican National Convention at Philadelphia in 1856,
which nominated General Fremont, and he was also a delegate from the Sixteenth
Congressional district of Pennsylvania to the Eepublican National Convention at
Chicago, in 1888, which nominated Harrison and Eeid. In 1861 he was appointed
postmaster at Wellsboro and served five years, and in 1862 he was appointed consul
to Santa Cruz, which honor he declined.

Although slightly lame by reason of an accident in early youth, Mr. Young
volunteered as an Emergency Man in 1863, when Lee's forces invaded the State,



682 HISTOET OS TIOGA COTTNTT.

and was accepted as a private in Company F, Thirty-fifth Volunteer Militia; was
sworn into the United States service; was promoted to the staff as first lieutenant
and quartermaster, and served until the regiment was mustered out.

In 1884, on motion of Hon. M. P. Elliott, Mr. Young was admitted to the bar
of Tioga county, ex gratia, on the unanimous petition of the members as a mark
of their esteem. Mr. Young was married September 33, 1859, to Lois Ann, second
daughter of A. H. Butterworth, of Coudersport, Pennsylvania, and they have three
sons, Eobert Kennedy, Hiigh Oai'lisle, and Thomas Lowry. Mrs. Young is a niece
of the late Hon. David Wilmot, of Towanda, Pennsylvania.

Edward G. Schibffelin, superintendent of the Stokesdale tannery, was born
in Charleston township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, March 36, 1836, and is a son
of Dr. Jacob SchiefEelin, a pioneer settler and lumberman of that township, and later
a resident of Tioga borough. He was educated in the public schools and at Alfred
Academy, Allegany county. New York, and at the age of twenty began merchan-
dising in Tioga, as a member of the firm of Baldwin, Lowell & Company, continuing
from December, 1856, to March, 1861. In September, 1861, he raised Company
H, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served as its captain until after the
battle of South Mountain, when he was promoted to major for meritorious service.
He also participated in the battles of James Island, Antietam and Fredericksburg,
besides numerous skirmishes. Owing to ill health, he resigned January 10, 1863,
and returned home. When Lee invaded Pennsylvania he went out as lieutenant
colonel of the Thirty-fifth Eegiraent, Emergency Men, and served six weeks. He
was subsequently appointed a deputy provost marshal for Tioga county, which
office he filled imtil the close of the war. After his return to Tioga he engaged in
the lumber business, btit soon went to New York, where he filled the position of
salesman in a wholsesale dry-goods house for three years. In 1871 he became a
member of the firm of Bailey, Lowell & Company, his partners being John W. Bailey,
F. K. Wright and 0. B. Lowell, founders of the Stokesdale tannery, Mr. Wright
and himself being the managers. In 1880 Bailey and Wright sold out to William
H. Humphrey, and the firm became Schieflelin & Company. In October, 1883, the
AVellsboTO Leather C.ompany (Limited) was organized, with a capital of $300,000,
and the plant and grounds became its property. In May, 1893, the control was
transferred to the Union Tanning Company, in which Mr. Schieflelin is a stockholder
and director. He has filled the position of superintendent since 1891, and is the
only one of the original founders now connected with the enterprise. On April 8,
1878, Mr. Schieflelin married Barbara Duttenhaffer, of Wellsboro, who died in July
of the same year. On June 15, 1381, he married Elizabeth M. Schmitt, of Elmira.
To this union was born one son, George Girard, June 3, 1884. The mother died
July 15, 1884. He was married to his present wife October 17, 1894. She was a
Miss Mary Sommerville, and is the mother of one daughter, Mary S., bom in Octo-
ber, 1895. Mr. Schieflelin is a thorough business man and possesses high executive
ability. His successful career has been due to close attention to business details
and an accurate knowledge of all the minutiae of the enterprise with which his name
has been so closely associated for more than a quarter of a century. In politics, he
has been a life-long Republican; was a delegate to the Republican National Conven-
tion at Chicago in 1884, and is recognized as a man of marked influence in the party
councils of this congressional district.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 683

Heney Jacksok Landeus was born in Blossburg, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
September 16, 1839, a son of Washington and Lucinda (Granger) Landrus, and
was reared in his native town. He attended the public schools of Blossburg in
boyhood, and began his business career by assisting his father in supplying prop
timber for the mines in the vicinity of his home. At the age of sixteen we find him
engaged in clerking and weighing coal at the Morris Run mines, thus assisting his
parents in the support of a large family. Here he was married to Mary E. Evans,
a daughter of John Evans, of Blossburg, June 16, 1863. Believing that his country
needed his services, he enlisted August 30, 1863, in Company G, One Hundred and
Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and leaving his young wife went to the front
in defense of the flag. On April 3, 1864, he was promoted to the rank of sergeant-
major and served with his regiment until May 5, 1864, when he was shot through
the right arm at the battle of the "Wilderness and captured by the rebels. For about
nine months he suffered all the horrors of imprisonment at Andersonville, and was



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 90 of 163)