Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 91 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 91 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


then exchanged and rejoined his regiment, with which he served until honorably
discharged May 31, 1865. Eeturning to Blossburg he resumed the duties of civil
life. His executive ability and sound business judgment finally attracted the atten-
tion of F. N". Drake, then the leading spirit in the development of the mines at Amot,
who in March, 1868, appointed Mr. Landrus book-keeper and paymaster for the Bloss-
burg Coal Company at that place, and in 1873 general superintendent, which position
he filled until May 1, 1876, when he resigned. In 1879 he was elected on the Ee-
publican ticket sheriff of Tioga county, but in 1881 he virtually resigned the ofSce
and again assumed the responsibilities of general manager at Arnot. "When the
Arnot mines became the property of the Erie Railway Company, Mr. Landrus
resigned the superintendency and engaged in the lumber business, as a member of
the firm of Drake, Landrus & Drake, with which he was connected up to his. death.
He removed from Amot to Antrim in the spring of 1885, and in 1891 took up his
residence in "W"ellsboro, where he died October 16, 1896, leaving a widow and nine
children to mourn his loss. His children are as follows: Mary, wife of Frank H.
Dartt; Flora, wife of "W. L. Beverson; John L., Harry J., George, Nellie, Lou, Bessie
and Paul.

Mr. Landnis was a prominent factor in the development of his native county,
and his busy, successful career is a bright example to his fellowmen. A respected
and honored citizen, he enjoyed the confidence of the whole community, as exempli-
fied by the many positions of trust and responsibility which he so creditably filled
at different periods in his life. In January, 1893, he was chosen president of the
"Wellsborough National Bank and served in that capacity up to December, 1895,
when he resigned. He was quite prominent in the councils of the Republican party
and was a delegate from this district to the National Convention at St. Louis, which
nominated McKinley and Hobart as the Republican standard bearers. In politics,
as well as in business, he was plain, outspoken and fearless, yet charitable and always
tolerant of the opinions of others. As a son, he watched over the declining years
of his aged parents вЦ†sv'ith the greatest solicitude, and as a husband and father he was
kind, loving and generous. His unostentatious charity, genial manner and warm-
hearted friendship won him the respect of the community. He was a member of
the school board and board of health of "Wellsboro, and secretary of the board of



684 HISTOBT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

trustees of Cottage State Hospital, all of -whieli passed warm resolutions at his death,
extolling his high character and clean record as a public oiEcial and private citizen.

Anton Haedt, general superintendent of the Fall Brook Coal Company, was
born in Vienna, Austria, March 37, 1839, a son of Anton and Elizabeth (Jacobi)
Hardt. He was educated in his native city; graduated from the I. E. Polytechnic
Institute, of Vienna, and the I. E. School of Mines, at Leoben, Styria, and in 1860
was appointed by the Austrian government assistant teacher in the latter institution,
where he remained two years. He then resigned to accept the more practical position
of mining engineer at the coal mines of Prevail, Carinthia. In 1863 he accepted
the position of mining engineer and superintendent at the extensive coal mines of
Sagor, Camiola. This he resigned in June, 1865, and in September of that year he
came to the United States and found employment as a civil engineer on the Philadel-
phia and Erie railroad, with headquarters at Williamsport, Pennsylvania, where he
remained up to 1867. He then resigned to take charge of the survey of the Wellsboro
and Lawrenceville railroad, and on the death of Mr. Brewer he was made mining
engineer at Fall Brook, Tioga county, also serving as chief engineer of the Wellsboro
and Lawrenceville railroad up to 1873. On January 1, 1873, Mr. Hardt was ap-
pointed superintendent of the mines at Fall Brook and Antrim, and in the fall of
187.5 he was elected chief engineer of the Syracuse, Geneva and Coming railroad,
which was completed under his supervision in November, 1877. In January, 1883,
he was elected chief engineer of the Jersey Shore, Pine creek and Buffalo railroad,
now the Pine creek railroad, but at his own request he was released from railroad
work in March, 1890. Mr. Hardt is a stockholder and director in the Pine Creek Eail-
road Company; a director in the Tioga Improvement Company, and a member of the
American Institute of Mining Engineers. He has written and published numerous
articles on geology and civil engineering in German and American journals, among
them in the Scientific American, and the Railroad Gazette. Mr. Hardt was married
December 3, 1866, to Miss Alvina Koch, a daughter of Augustus Koch, a well-remem-
bered business man of South "Williamsport. Six children blessed this union, viz:
Alice "W., deceased; Minnie E.; Edmond A., a clerk in the office of the Fall Brook
Coal Company, at Antrim; Charles W., a student at the Pennsylvania State College;
Annie B., and Albert F. Mrs. Hardt died September 3, 1890, aged forty-eight
years. On May 23, 1894, he married for his second wife, in St. Peter's church,
Augusta, Maine, Mrs. Florence Augusta Thurber, daughter of David Turk, of
Addison, ITew York. She is the mother of two children, "William H. and Emma
Lilian, the former a telegraph operator at "Wellsboro and the latter a musician of
promise. Mr. Hardt is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church, and has been
an active worker in the "Wellsboro organization. He has been a member of the
school board since 1887; president of the board of education for three years; is sec-
retary of the board of health, and also a director in the First ]!Tational Bank of
"Wellsboro. Mr. Hardt is one of the prominent and substantial citizens of Tioga
county, a gentleman of broad, progressive and liberal ideas, and is held in high
esteem by the community in which he has lived for more than a quarter of a century.

John E. Bowen was born in Owego, Tioga county, N"ew York, December 15,
1818, a son of James and Jane (Westfall) Bowen. His father was a native of New
England, but was reared in "Warren township, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where
the family settled before 1800. James Bowen married Jane "Westfall, who became
the mother of nine children. He followed the sea for a number of years, but later



BIOGEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 685



became a farmer and lumberman, and died in Owego, New York, in August, 1847.
His widow died in 1885, aged eighty-nine years. When John E. was five months
old his parents removed to Warren township, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, his
father's former home, and when he was nineteen they returned to Owego, New York.
In 1851 he came to Cedar Eun, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, where he embarked
in merchandising and lumbering. In 1853 Mr. Bowen located in Wellsboro, but
for thirteen years afterward retained his interest in the store at Cedar Eun. After
coming to Wellsboro he opened a store on the site of the Wellsborough National
Bank, where he carried on business for sixteen years. He then built what is known
as the Jacobson block, in which he continued business for a number of years. In
1869 he became a member of the lumber firm of Truman & Bowen, proprietors of
the old Bodine mill on Queen street, which they operated for about twenty years.
For several years past he has lived retired from active business. Mr. Bowen was
married October 16, 1849, to Maria Ann Howland, a daughter of Marsena and Eliza-
beth (Holt) Howland. She was bom in Sheffield, Massachusetts, December
19, 1834. Two children are the fruits of this union, viz: James M., a
resident of Wellsboro, and George W., of Eochester, New York. Mrs. Bowen's
father died in Berkshire, New York, in 1844, aged fifty years, and her mother at
Cedar Eun in 1856, aged sixty. In polities, Mr. Bowen was first a Whig, but became
a Eepublican upon the formation of that paa-ty. In 1869 he was appointed assessor
of inteimal revenue for the Eighteenth district, which position he held four years.
He was then appointed collector of internal reveniie, but not desiring the office he
resigned in favor of John Burrows. In 187 6 he was a Blaine delegate to the National
Eepublican Convention at Cincinnati. He was elected county treasurer in 1880,
and served three years. He filled the offices of deputy sheriff and constable in
Tioga county. New York; also assistant burgess, member of council and tax col-
lector in Wellsboro. Mr. Bowen was one of the original stockholders of the First
National Bank of Wellsboro, and for seventeen years a member of the board of
directors. In religion he is a Presbyterian, and for thirty-four years he has been
a member of the Masonic order.

Charles G. Osgood, a son of Hon. John and OUve (Grosvenor) Osgood, was
bom in Cincinnatus, Cortland county. New York, March 22, 1820, and is descended
from John Osgood, a native of Hampshire, England, who settled in Andover, Massa-
chusetts, about 1638. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood in his native
State, and there received a common school education. In 1840 he came to Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, and located at Tiadaghton, on Pine creek, where he engaged
in lumbering three or four years. In 1845 he removed to Wellsboro, and the follow-
ing year purchased the mercantile stock of Henry Graves. For more than forty
years he carried on merchandising siiccessfully, finally retiring from active business
in 1890, in which year he sold out the stock. Mr. Osgood was married May 23, 1861,
to Mary Josephine Todd, a native of North Haven, Connecticut, bom February 6,
1833. She is a daughter of Josiah and Elizabeth (Clinton) Todd. Her father was
born in North Haven, Connecticut, in 1794, and was descended from Christopher
Todd and Grace Middlebrook, who were among the original settlers of New Haven
colony in 1638. He was married in 1816 to Elizabeth Clinton, and moved to New-
ark Valley, New York, in 1834, where he was interested in the tanning business for
some years, later purchased a farm and followed agriculture up to the time of his
death. To Charles G. and Mary J. Osgood have been born three children, viz:



ggg HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Harry Winthrop, who is connected with the United Press of&ee, in New York City;
Mary* Helen, wife of Dr. C. W. Webb, of Wellsboro, and Charles Grosvenor, a graduate
of Yale College. Mr. Osgood united with the Presbyterian church of Wellsboro in
1856, and has filled the office of elder in that body since 1857. He has been super-
intendent of the Sunday-school for many years, and mainly through his efEorts and
financial assistance the Presbyterian Sunday-school library has developed into its
present proportions. Mrs. Osgood has taken an active interest in church work,
and for twenty-seven years has been organist and chorister of the Presbyterian
church. Mr. Osgood is a Eepublican in politics; has been burgess of Wellsboro
twice, and is one of the substantial citizens of the county.

William Eobehts, son of William and Betsey (Pratt) Eoberts, was born at
Canton, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, August 14, 1836. His father was a son
of Nathan Eoberts, and a native of Connecticut, bom in January, 1796. In 1799
the family came to Canton, Pennsylvania, where William Eoberts, Sr., grew to man-
hood and married Betsey Pratt. To this union were bom sixteen children, eleven
of whom grew to maturity, as follows: Mehitabel, wife of David E. Cole; Hannah,
wife of Edward McClellan; Julius, deceased; William, who died in Wellsboro;
Lyman, deceased; David P., a resident of Emmettsburg, Iowa; Mary Jane, who
lives in Canton, Pennsylvania; Mariette, wife of Eraetus Putnam of the same place;
Asa, deceased; Viola, wife of Eussell Eoss, of DeSmet, South Dakota, and Valeria,
wife of P. M. Baldwin. The parents both died on the homestead farm at Canton, in
April, 1865, their deaths occurring within two days of each other. The subject of
this sketch obtained a common school education, and spent his youth and young
manhood on the home farm in Bradford county. In 1853 he went to California,
remaining there two years. In the autumn of 1854 he came to Wellsboro and opened
a hardware store in partnership with his brother, David P., the firm being D. P. &
W. Eoberts. In 1857 his brother retired from the business, which, with but a slight
interruption, was carried on by our subject up to his death, March 23, 1897, being
at the time the oldest merchant in Wellsboro. Mr. Eoberts was married October
23, 1857, to Margaret Sturroek, a daughter of David and Jane Sturrock. Mnc
children have been bom to this union, as follows: William H., deceased; Charles
11., May B., wife of Alexander P. Cameron, of Manor, Pennsylvania; Lyman, a com-
mercial traveler, who resides in Elmira; Edwin M., Margaret, Minnie Jane, deceased,
Sarah, and Jessie, the last deceased. Mr. Eoberts was a Eepublican since 1856, but
was not active in polities, though he served in the borough council and as a school
director. In religion, he was a member of the Presbyterian church. He was the
last charter member of Ossea Lodge, No. 317, E. & A. M., and was also a charter
member of Tyoga Chapter, No. 194, E. A. M., and of Tyagaghton Commandery,
No. 28, K. T. Mr. Eoberts' long and successful business career was marked by a
strict adherence to honorable business methods. He enjoyed the respect and esteem
of the community, and during the forty-two years he lived in Wellsboro he was
an active supporter of nearly every enterprise calculated to forward the growth and
prosperity of the town.

William H. Egberts, son of William and Margaret (Sturrock) Eoberts, was
bom in Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, August 30, 1858, and was educated in the borough
schools, and graduated from, the Pittsburg Commercial College. After his return
to AVellsboro, he assisted his father in the store. He was an expert book-keeper



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 687



and accountant, and soon obtained recognition as a wide-awake, public-spirited
citizen, and a foremost advocate of everything tending to advance the place of his
birth. In 1889 he was elected burgess and made a most excellent official, his duties
being very arduous, owing to the disastrous June flood of that year. In 1891 he
was elected a councilman and was filling that position at the time of his death.
He was a prominent Mason, and a member of a number of other secret and civic
societies. Mr. Roberts possessed, in a marked degree, those sterling traits of char-
acter that command respect and esteem. He was married October 12, 1883, to
Dora Coles, a daughter of W. E. Coles, of M''ellsboro. He died October 31, 1893.
Two sons, William and Leon, and their mother survive the loss of a kind father
and husband.

M. M. Converse was born in Palmer, Massachusetts, February 15, 1833, and
learned the tailor's trade in his native State. He came to Wellsboro in 1843, where
he continued to work at his trade. In 1848 he opened a clothing store and ofEered
to his patrons the first stock of ready-made clothing brought to Wellsboro. After
conducting business alone for some years, he formed a partnership with Mr. Osgood,
and the firm of Converse & Osgood continued the business. About 1880 Mr. Con-
verse retired, and died June 37, 1895. In 1865 he married Mrs. Juliet Sherwood,
oldest daughter of Chester Eobinson, to which union was bom one son, Chester
R. His widow died in Pasadena, California, April 34, 1897.

Chester R. Converse, only child of M. M. and Juliet Converse, was bom in
Wellsboro, Tioga county, October 31, 1869. He attended the common schools of
the borough and later took a course in Phillips' Academy, Andover, Massachusetts,
and in the Elmira Business College. In 1889 he engaged in the hardware business
in Wellsboro as a member of the firm of Nichols & Converse, but within a year he pur-
chased his partner's interest and continued the business alone for five years. On
January 1, 1896, he became a member of the firm of Bailey & Converse, dealers in
agricultural implements, etc. Mr. Converse was married June 37, 1893, to Emily
Nichols, a daughter of Alfred I. Nichols, of Wellsboro. In politics, he is a Demo-
crat, and is recognized as one of the substantial young business men of the borough.

John Mathers, Sr., a native of Coimty Londonderry, Ireland, immigrated to
Chester county, Pennsylvania, about the close of the last century. Early in the
present century he came to Tioga county and settled in Broughton Hollow, in the
southeastern part of Delniar township, removing some years later to a farm about a
mile southwest of Wellsboro. He married Jane McKeever, who bore him the fol-
lowing children: Charles, James, William, Robert, John, Jane, who married Gay-
lord Judd; Mrs. Daniel Kelsey; Eliza, who married Gates Wilcox; Mary, who mar-
ried Benjamin Gitchell, and Rebecca, who married Frank Wetherbee, all of whom
are dead. The parents passed the closing years of their lives on the homestead farm
near Wellsboro.

John Mathers, son of John Mathers, Sr., was born in Chester county, Penn-
sylvania, June 10, 1799, removed with his parents to Tioga county when about eleven
years of age, and grew to manhood in Delraar township. In 1839 he went to Evans-
ville, Indiana, and there married Eliza Jane Beecher, a daughter of Hopestill and
Abigail (Rathbone) Beecher, pioneer settlers at Beecher's Island, Tioga county.
She was born in this county February 13, 1806, and became the mother of eleven



688 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

children, viz: Sarah Jane, wife of Charles Herrington, of Delmar; William T., of
Wellsboro; Maiy Clorinda, widow of Dr. Luther W. Johnson, of Bloesburg; Happy-
lonia, deceased wife of H. H. Gibson, of New York; Emily B., wife of George Sidli-
van, of Cincinnati; Helen E., wife of Lewis Tompkins, of Fishkill, New York;
Abigail B., a resident of Wellsboro; John, Jr., a resident of New Orleans, Lou-
isiana; Phoebe A., deceased wife of B. F. "W'erline, of Liberty; Charles C. and
Marion H., both of whom are dead. Soon after his majnriage Mr. Mathers removed
to Shippen township, Tioga county, and settled on Pine creek, above Ansonia. Here
for a number of years he operated a saw-mill and a grist-mill and also kept a wayside
inn. When the postoffice of Shippen was established he became the first postmaster.
In 1849 he was elected sheriff of Tioga coimity, and was elected a second time in
1855. After his retirement from office he bought a farm in Charleston township,
near Eound Top. Here he made his home until 1876, when he went to New York
for medical treatment and resided in that city until his death. May 29, 1879. His
wife died August 11, 1887.

William T. Mathees, oldest son of John and Eliza Jane Mathers, and grandson
of John Mathers, Sr., was born in Shippen township, Tioga county, August 8, 1832.
He obtained his education in the common schools and at the seminary in Lima, New
York. In 1858 he opened a general store in Wellsboro, which he carried on for
twenty-five years,, and was one of the leading merchants of the town during this
period. For several years past he has been engaged in selling goods as a commercial
traveler, though retaining his residence in Wellsboro. On June 7, 1855, Mr. Mathers
maixied Mary Rose Merrick, a daughter of Israel Merrick, Jr., and has four children,
viz: George Beecher, who lives in Delmar; William John, Horace Maine and
Mary Beulah, all residents of Wellsboro. In politics, Mr. Mathers is a Republican,
and in religion, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Chaeles Coolidge Mathees, youngest son of John and Eliza Jane Mathers,
and grandson of John Mathers, Sr., was born in Shippen township, Tioga county,
November 4, 1846, and received a common school education. He began his business
career as a bank clerk in Evansville, Indiana, before he was twenty-one years of age.
He subsequently returned to Wellsboro and in June, 1870, bought out the mercan-
tile business of Laugher Bache. He continued in business by himself until 1878 when
E. W. Graves purchased an interest and the firm became C. C. Mathers & Company.
In 1885 P. W. Siemens was admitted to the partnership and the firm name was
changed to Mathers, Graves & Company. Mr. Ma,thers continued in the successful
prosecution of his business until his. death, July 4, 1894. The firm name remains un-
changed. On June 19, 1873, he was married to Mary Bryden, a daughter of James
and Mary Bryden, of Wellsboro^ to which union was born one son, George R. In
politics, Mr. Mathers was a Republican, and though not an active politician he filled
the office of burgess and took a commendable interest in public matters. In religion,
he was a member of the Presbyterian church, and was also connected with the I. 0.
0. P. and the P. & A. M. societies. His successful career was due to his own untiring
energy and natural aptitude for business. His judgment and knowledge of men and
affairs made him one of the most complete men of his day. His integrity and fairness
won the confidence and love of all who knew him. As a citizen he was progressive,




^:^f^t,i^6c^o^c^e^ A^. /fpp^ ^



BI06HAPHICAL SKETCHES. 689



public spirited, enterprising and liberal, and his death was a severe loss to the busi-
ness interests of the community.

Fbedeeick W. Gkaves, of the firm of Mathers, Graves & Company, was born
in Ithaca, New York, May 5, 1853, and is a son of Eev. Frederick W. and Susan E.
(Hayt) Graves. He is a descendant, on his father's side, from Thomas Graves, who
came to America from England before 1645, and settled at Hartford, Connecticut.
His grandfather. Col. Eufus Graves, and great-gpandfather, Stephen Hayt, were sol-
diers in the Eevolutionary War, the former serving in Captain Merximan's company,
and also in Capt. John Bacon's company, from Connecticut. His father was bom
in Andover, Massachusetts, in 1806, graduated at Amherst College in 1834, and
followed the ministry all his life, dying in Canandaigua, New York, in 1864. His
mother was a daughter of Dr. John C. Hayt, of Coming, New York, and died in
1890. They were the parents of four children, viz: Helen A., wife of Andrew
Parker, of Buffalo; Edward P., president of the Corning Manufacturing Company,
of Corning; Mary E., also a resident of Corning, and Frederick W. The last men-
tioned was ediieated in the Coming public schools and Alfred University. When
fifteen years of age he entered the employ of S. T. Hayt, proprietor of a flouring mill
at Corning, for whom he worked three years.' In 1873 he engaged with Phelps,
Dodge & Company, and in 1874, when they opened their Wellsboro office under the
title of the Pennsylvania Joint Land & Lumber Company, he was given employment
there, and remained with them up to 1878. He then purchased an interest in the
store of C. C. Mathers, and the iirm of C. C. Mathers & Company existed until 1885,
when another partner was admitted, and the firm has since been Mathers, Graves &
Company, Limited. Mr. Graves was married April 38, 1881, to Nellie, youngest
daughter of John N. Bache, of Wellsboro, and has two children, Martha B. and
Sarah S. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and has been borough auditor six years
and school director three years, and is one of the leading merchants of Wellsboro.

Feedeeick K. Weight was bom in Athens, Bradford county, Pennsylvania,
March 11, 1835, a son of Capt. Jason K. and Maria (Ely) Wright, of that place. He
was reared in his native county, removed to Tioga county in 1859, and in 1861 formed
a partnership with John AV. Bailej', under the firm name of Wright & Bailey, and
carried on a general store in Wellsboro for twenty years. In 1873 he became inter-
ested with others in establishing the tannery at Stokesdale, with which he was con-
nected some years, during which period he was also interested in the lumber business.
In 1883 Mr. Wright practically retired from active business, but is still interested
in several business enterprises in Wellsboro. Prom 1885 to 1894 he was one of the
proprietors of the Wellsboro Gazette. He is a stockholder in the Wellsborough Na-
tional Bank, and was vice-president of that institution from January, 1896, up to
January, 1897. He is also president of the Wellsboro Water Company and a director
in the Wellsboro Building and Loan Association. On February 11, 1863, Mr. Wright
married Ellen M. Lowrey, a daughter of Hon. James Lowrey, of which union two
daughters survive, Mary L. and Louise. The family are adherents of St. Paul's Pro-
testant Episcopal church. Mr. Wright has always been one of the leading Democratic



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 91 of 163)