Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 92 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 92 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


politicians in the county, and in 1893 was his party's candidate for Congress in the
Sixteenth Congressional district. Though defeated, he polled the full vote of his
party, and drew a considerable vote from the opposition. As a slight recognition
44



g90 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

of his services, he was appointed postmaster of Wellsboro in 1895, which office he
has since filled in a satisfactory manner. Enterprising, progressive and publio-
spirited, he has always taken a deep interest in the growth and prosperity of his
adopted home.

William Van Horn was bom in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and there learned
the blacksmith's trade, later removing to Blooming Grove, liycoming county, where
he followed his trade until his death in 1836. He married Susan Thompson, and
reared a family of five children, viz: Benjamin T., of Wellsboro; Phineas, deceased;
Nancy, wife of John Bliss, of Charleston township, and William B. and Deborah,
both deceased. Mrs. Van Horn survived her husband over forty years, and died in
1883, aged seventy-five.

Benjamin T. Van Horn, eldest child of William Van Horn, was born near
Williamsport, Pennsylvania, July 6, 1815, and was educated in the common schools
and the Wellsboro Academy. When fifteen years of age he entered the cabinet shop
of David Caldwell, to learn that trade, and after a five years' apprenticeship opened
a shop of his own in Wellsboro. Here he continued for fifteen years manufacturing
all work by hand. In 1850 he fitted his factory with machinery, and continued
the business until 1873, when he sold it to his son, Rankin L., and son-in-law,
N. T. Chandler, who carried on the business up to 1894. Mr. Van Horn married
Nancy Bliss, and reared six children, viz: Mary J., wife of N. T. Chandler, of Wells-
boro; William D., who was killed while a soldier in the Union aimy; Eankin L.,
of Wellsboro; Benjamin C, deceased; Helen, wife of James Shaw, of Wellsboro,
and Charles, a resident of Moberly, Missouri. Mrs. Van Horn died February 17,
1870, and her husband married Mrs. Harriet Stevens. Both he and his wife are
members of the Protestant Episcopal church, and he is connected with the Masonic
order. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and has served on the school board and bor
ough council.

Eankin L. Van Horn, of the firm of E. L. Van Horn & Son, booksellers and
stationers, was bom in Wellsboro, Tioga county, November 16, 1843, and is the
oldest living son of Benjamin T. and Nancy Van Horn. He was educated in the
public schools of his native town and when fifteen years of age began painting furni-
tiire in his father's factory, and so continued up to January, 1873, when he and his
brother-in-law, N. T. Chandler, purchased the business, which they continued up
to 1894. On February 7, 1873, Mr. Van Horn bought the book and stationery
store of B. C. & L. R. Van Horn, since carried on by himself and son under the firm
name of E. L. Van Horn & Son. On September 19, 186(5, Mr. Van Horn married
(Jornelia E. Chubbuck, a daughter of Col. Levi Chubbuck, of Wellsboro. Two chil-
dren blessed this union, viz: Sadie, who died at the age of one year, and Lewis E.,
manager of the book store of B. L. Van Horn & Son. Mr. Van Horn is a member
of the I. 0. 0. F.; is a Eepublican, in politics, and has served in the borough council.

WiLLiAir B. Van Horn, youngest son of William Van Horn, was bom near
Williamsport, Lycoming county, in 1822, and learned the cabinet maker's trade in
youth. He came to Wellsboro in 1843, followed his trade a few years, and then
learned shoemaking, which he continued to work at the remaining years of his life.
He married Amanda Green, of Charleston township, to which union were bom three
children, viz: Nancy, who died at the age of two years; Jenetta, who died at the



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 691



age of eleven years, and William D., now president of the Wellsborough National
Bank. Mr. Van Horn died in April, 1893; his widow resides with her son.

William D. Van Hokn, president of the Wellsborough National Bank, was
born in Charleston township, Tioga county, October 31, 1863, was reared in Wells-
boro, and obtained his education in the High School of that town and at Eastman
Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York, graduating from the latter institution
in December, 1879. He then became book-keeper for Mathers, Graves & Company,
Januai-y 1, 1880, and remained with them for three years. He next accepted a
position as book-keeper in the First National Bank, of Wellsboro, where he remained
up to October, 1888, when he was appointed cashier of the Wellsborough National
Bank. He filled that position until January 14, 1896, on which date he was elected
president of that institution, one of the leading banks in northern Pennsylvania.
Mr. Van Horn was married April 12, 1887, to Miss Carrie E. Allen, a niece of Hon.
Henry Sherwood, of Wellsboro. They are the parents of three children: William
A., Edith and Howard E. Mr. and Mrs. Van Horn are members of the Presbyterian
church, and he is one of the enterprising, progressive, and substantial business men
of Wellsboro.

Noeman T. Chandler, undertaker, was born in Granville, New York, December
8, 1833, a son of Charles and Clarinda B. (Averill) Chandler. His father, a son of
Daniel Chandler, was born in New York state, June 13, 1794, learned the wagon-
maker's trade in boyhood, and followed that business until his death, June 21, 1837.
His mother was a daughter of Jesse Averill, of Granville, and had the following chil-
dren: Charles M., Minerva and Jjyman A., all of whom are dead; John J., of New-
ark, New Jersey; Edgar D., a merchant of Cambridge, New York; Daniel L., Evelyn
and Eobert S., all deceased; Norman T., and Frederick I., a merchant of Granville,
New York. When eight years old Norman T. went to live with his eldest brother,
Charles, at Elba, New York. There he received his early education in the public
school and when fifteen years of age engaged in clerking in a general store in Brock-
port, New York, where he remained three years. He next clerked in a drug store
in Elmira one year, and in September, 1852, came to Wellsboro, Tioga county, and
clerked for John E. Jones two years. Going to Eockford, Illinois, he clerked there
one year and then returned to Wellsboro, and continued the same occupation for
John E. Bowen for two years. The following year he worked in Fredonia, New
York, and later was station agent at Oneida, Illinois, for the Chicago, Burlington
and Quincy railroad. Eetuming to New York state, he clerked in Watertown for
nine years, in Penn Yan for one year, and then went to Lansing, Michigan, and later
to Detroit. In 1870 he returned to Wellsboro, and entered the store of his father-
in-law, Benjamin T. Van Horn, for whom he clerked two years. In January, 1872,
he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, Eankin L. Van Horn, and they
continued in business as manufacturers and dealers in furniture and undertaking
until January 1, 1895, when W. D. Van Horn acquired E. L. Van Horn's interest.
In March, 1896, when the furniture business was purchased by Fred W. Siemens,
Mr. Chandler continued the undertaking business. Mr. Chandler was married
August 22, 1862, to Mary J. Van Horn, a daughter of Benjamin T. Van Horn. In
politics, he is a Eepubliean, and is also a member of the I. 0. 0. F., both Lodge and



692 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY

Encampment, and has been treasurer of the latter for the past twelve years. Mr.
Chandler is one of the sound, progressive men of the community.

CAEt L. Siemens was born in Germany, February 29, 1828; there obtained a
college education and graduated from a medical institxition in his native land. He
came to the United States in 3853, and located at Leeds, Massachusetts, where he
practiced his profession, and was a member of the staff in a hospital for four years.
In 1857 he moved to Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, to accept a clerkship
in the office of the Bingham estate, which position he filled for twenty-two years,
resigning in 1879 to become a book-keeper in the United States Treasury Depart-
ment, at Washington, D. C. He filled that position up to 1893, when ill health
compelled him to resign. Mr. Siemens married Rachel Hiltbold, in 1855, who bore
him a family of five children, viz: Mary J., wife of J. D. Locke, of Wellsboro; George
H., who resides in the west; Fred W. and Eobert C, residents of Wellsboro, and
Frank L., deceased. Mrs. Siemens died March 29, 1883. Mr. Siemens resided in
Wellsboro with his children until his death, April 24,, 1897.

Feed W. Siemens, a son of Carl L. and Rachel Siemens, was bom in Wellsboro,
Tioga county, October 29, 1860. He was educated in the public schools of his native
town, and when seventeen years old began clerking in the store of Harrington &
Todd, and latp filled a similar position in the store of Max Bemkopf, in all a period
of five years. He then went to Washington, D. C, and clerked for Lansburg &
Brother two years, then returned to Wellsboro and spent one year with Mr. Bemkopf.
At the end of this time he became the junior member of the firm of Mathers, Graves
& Company, of Wellsboro, the partnership dating from March 4, 1885, since which
year he has been the firm's buyer of all dry goods handled by them. Mr. Siemens
_was married September 6, 1893, to Marion Simpson, a daughter of the late R. C.
Simpson, of Wellsboro. He is a member of the F. & A. M., and a K. T. in that order,
and has been chairman of the Republican county committee, to which party he has
always given his support.

Adolphus D. Spalding, a son of Howard and Lucy Spalding, was born in
Troy, Bradford county, April 37, 1813, his parents being members of pioneer families
of that county. His boyhood and youth were spent on the farm, his education being
acquired in the common schools. I'or several years during his early manhood he
was engaged in mercantile pursuits as a clerk in Smithfield and Troy, and for a time
also in farming. From 1851 to 1853, he was a deputy sheriff and resided in Towanda.
After returning to Troy, he resumed farming for a few years, until appointed rail-
road station agent at Troy. He held this position until 1865, when he was appointed
postmaster at Troy, and served through Johnson's administration. In June, 1873,
he came to Wellsboro, and, in partnership with L. D. Taylor, purchased the drug
business formerly carried on by John Pierce, then deceased. A year later he sold
his interest to Mr. Taylor, and with his son, M. G. Spalding, bought out the drug
store of Dr. M. L. Bacon, in the Wilcox block. Here they continued until the block
just south of the Coles House Avas completed, when they moved into the corner store
room, which had been fitted up for their use. In 1884 they sold the business to Mr.
Spalding's son, George M., and he lived retired until his death, February 22, 1887.
Mr. Spalding was twice married. His first marriage took place November i, 1842,
to liaura A. Morse, a daughter of Solomon Morse, of Troy. She bore him one child.



BIOQBAPHIOAL SKETCHES. gQg



Dallas P., a resident of Titusville, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Spalding died July 25, 1847,
and on December 17, 1851, he married Sarah Conklin McDowell, a daughter of
Addison and Louise McDowell, of Burlington, Bradford county. To this union
there were born three children, viz: Morell G., a resident of Bradford, McKean
county; George M., of Wellsboro, and Fannie, who mai-ried E. A. Van Valkenburg,
of "Wellsboro, and who died June 29, 1892, leaving one daughter, Florence. Mr.
Spalding was a Democrat in politics, but was not active as a politician or office seeker.
He was a member of the I. 0. 0. F., and as a business man and citizen was highly
esteemed for his enterprise, public spirit and sterling Integrity.

George M. Spalding, son of A. D. and Saxah Spalding, was born in Troy,
Pennsylvania, December 12, 1860, and was educated in the public schools of Troy
and Wellsboro. In 1875, when but fifteen years of age, he began clerking in his
father's drug store in Wellsboro, continuing until 1884, when he purchased the busi-
ness, and carried it on with marked success until 1894, when he sold out to E. E.
Hyer^of the present firm of Hyer & Howd. For a short time after disposing of his
drug business Mr. Spalding was engaged in the furniture business. In December,
1894, he embarked in the coal and warehouse business, which has since claimed his
attention. Mr. Spalding was married October 13, 1882, to Florence Webb, a daugh-
ter of Dr. W. W. Webb, of Wellsboro. They have had two children, viz: Madge,
deceased, and Mildred. In politics, Mr. Spalding is a Democrat. He has served
as borough auditor; is the present treasurer of the school board, and is also a director
in the First National Bank, of Wellsboro. He is an I. 0. 0. F. and a past officer in
the lodge, chapter and commandery of the Masonic order. Mr. Spalding is a popu-
lar and progressive business man, and takes an active part in every enterprise calcu-
lated to promote the best interests of Wellsboro.

Datid Gaednek, president of the Wellsboro Building and Loan Association,
was bom in Windsor, Broome county, New York, July 9, 1807, a son of Nathan and
Charlotte (Tompkins) Gardner. He attended school in early boyhood for a brief
period, and at ten years of age began to malie his own living, working at anything
he could get to do. Later he worked at the carpenter's trade, and in a saw-mill,
and finally went on the road as a peddler. He located at Orcutt Creek, Pennsyl-
vania, and opened a general store in 1847, which he carried on successfully until
1875. In 1848 he was made postmaster at that ppint, but resigned in 1850, and
was elected a justice of the peace, which position he filled five years. He was again
appointed postmaster in 1861, and served continuously until 1875. From the latter
year to 1880, he was a justice of the peace, and at the end of his term he came to
Wellsboro, where he embarked in business with his son. In 1883 he obtained a
charter for the Wellsboro Building and Loan Association, of which he was the first
vice-president, and since 1886 has been president. Mr. Gardner was married Sep-
tember 29, 1829, to Florilla White, of Vermont, and has two children, Levi A., of
Wellsboro, and Lysander B., of Elmira, New York. Mrs. Gardner died October 11,
1880, aged seventy-four years. Mr. Gardner is one of the oldest citizens of Wells-
boro, being now in his ninetieth year.

Levi A. Gabdnee was bom in Unadilla, Otsego county. New York, March 16,
1831, eldest child of David Gardner, and grew to manhood in his native State. He
came to Tioga county in 1866, and opened a grocery store in Wellsboro, which he



694 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

carried on for seven years, and then engaged in the insurance business, as secretary
of the Wellsboro Building and Loan Association, which position he has filled ia a
satisfactory manner up to the present.

Julius C. Wheelee was bom in Chenango county. New York, January 17,
1831, a son of Harry and Lucina Wheeler. He received a common school education,
and" when sixteen years old came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and engaged ia
lumbering on Pine creek. By industry and economy he acciimulated a small capital,
and in 1857 located in "Wellsboro and embarked in the grocery and provision busi-
ness, making a specialty of wholesaling supplies to lumber camps, railroad construc-
tion crews, and others demanding groceries and provisions in large quantities. He
also dealt in coal and builders' supplies. After the completion of the railroad to
Wellsboro, his office, yards and store house were near the station. Here he carried
on his various enterprises until July 27, 1883, when he was run down by a locomotive
engine and killed. Mr. Wheeler was married February 5, 1857, to Emily E. Bartle,
a daughter of Augustiis and Cynthia Bartle, to which union were born eight chil-
dren, as follows: Emily Jeanett, wife of C. A. Willcox, of Delmar; Irene Lucina,
wife of Harvey B. Leach, a well-known member of the Tioga county bar; Harry D.,
of Wellsboro; Hattie, wife of John W. Moyer, a school teacher of Philadelphia;
ISTellie, wife of Elmer E. Benjamin, of Delmar; Mary, wife of Arthur M. Keeney,
of Keeneyville; Luella, wife of J. George March, a teacher in the Wellsboro High
School, and Kate, who died in infancy. Mr. Wheeler was a thorough business mau
and scrupulously honorable in all his dealings. In the conduct of his business affairs
he was active, enterprising and energetic. As a citizen, he was public-spirited and
progressive, and as a man, esteemed and respected for his integrity. In politics, he
was a Eepubliean. He filled the office of burgess two years, being elected witJiout
opposition or eilort on his part.

John Jacob Bukgin was bom near Basle, Switzerland, September 18, 1818,
from an old and honored family. He grew to manhood in his native country and
there married Jacobea Kudin. Of the children bom to this union, the following
named grew to maturity: John Jacob, who was killed by the railroad cars in Buffalo,
New York, in July, 1893; Maria Louise, wife of Stephen Flick, of Williamspoit,
Pennsylvania; Emma, who died in Georgia; Eudolph, Bertha, wife of V. A. Putnam,
of Kane, Pennsylvania, and Minnie E., who resides in Wellsboro. Mr. Burgin was
a man of wealth and influence in his native land, where he filled an honorable office in
the revenue department of the republic. He was also a member of the rifle corps,
and like nearly all his countrymen was an expert marksmen. Having lost his prop-
erty by indorsing for others, he came to the United States in October, 1867, and lived
for a time near Elk Eun, Potter county, whence he removed to Wellsboro and later
to Knoxville, Tennessee. In 1872 he returned to Wellsboro and opened a bakery
which he conducted until j 890, when he sold out to 0. G. Padgett. He died August
31, 1892, aged seventy-four years. His widow, who is now eighty years of age,
resides in Wellsboro. Although prominent in public affairs in his native laud, Mr.
Burgin, after coming to this country, refrained from active participation in politics,
devoting his whole attention to business matters. His youngest daughter, Minnie
E., is the proprietor of the "Candy Kitchen" in Wellsboro, which she has successfully
carried on for several years. She is a deputy state organizer of the Ladies of the



BIOGEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 395



Maccabees, holds the office of sergeant in the Great Hiye of the State, and to her
efforts has been largely due the rapid growth of that order in Tioga county.

Jesse Locke, Se., was bom in Cincinnatus, Cortland county, Kew York, April
3, 1804, a son of Jesse Locke, a native of Connecticut, who married Eebecca Merritt
and reared a family of nine children. His father died in 1813 and his mother in
1848. On May 13, 1834, he married Lura Eexford, a native of Hartford, Connecti-
cut, born January 23, 1804, to which union were born eleven children, six of whom
grew to maturity, viz: Jane, who married "William Thompson; Lovisa L., and Sarah
M., widow of Silas X. Billings, both residents of Wellsboro; Fannie M., wife of L.
A. Sears; Jesse, a merchant of Wellsboro, and Job D. The last mentioned was a
well-known farmer and died at his home in "Wellsboro, February 38, 1889, in the
forty-eighth year of his age. He was an industrious, substantial citizen and enjoyed
the respect and esteem of his neighbors. In 1843 Mr. Locke and family removed to
Tioga county and settled on Pine creek, in Shippen township, where he was exten-
sively engaged in lumbering. He owned large tracts of timber lands and operated
several saw-mills and a grist-mill on Pine creek; also carried on a general store in
"Wellsboro, and was one of the successful business men of that period. He died at
his home on Pine creek, July 13, 1849. In the spring of 1851 his widow and family
removed to "Wellsboro, where Mrs. Locke died December 3, 1874. She was a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church and an earnest Christian woman.

Jesse Locke was born in Cortland county, New York, October 31, 1839, and
was educated in the "Wellsboro Academy, being but three years old when his parents
came to Tioga county. "When twenty-five years of age he embarked in merchandising
at Gaines, where he still carries on business. In "December, 1890, he moved to
"Wellsboro, and in June, 1896, became a member of the firm of Locke & Kelts, gen-
eral grocers and dealers in boots and shoes. Mr. Locke was married on February
36, 1865, to Sarah E. "W'atrous, a daughter of James H. "Watrous, of Gaines. During
his residence in Gaines township, he served as a school director several years, and
was one of the substantial citizens of that locality for a quarter of a centxiry.

Ezra Benedict Yol'ng was born in Springfield township, Bradford county,
Pennsylvania, October 24, 1846, a son of Eussell B- and Jemima (Bailey) Young.
His father was bom in Middletown, Connecticut, in 1307, and was a son of Sylvanus
and Betsey Young, the fourth in a family of seven children. He came to Springfield
township, Bradford county, in 1837, and resided there until his death, in 1887. His
mother is still living in that county. They reared a family of ten children, as fol-
lows: Elisha, deceased; Sarah, wife of H. A. Brigham; Louisa, wife of J. L. Spencer;
"William E., John W". and Asahel B., all farmers of Springfield township, Bradford
county; Ezra B., of "Wellsboro; Ealph B., a resident of Springfield town-
ship; Augusta E., wife of Colin "Wood, and Darius M., a farmer of Smithfield,
Bradford county. The subject of this sketch attended the common schools of his
native township, and later Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, at Towanda, and the
State Normal School, at Mansfield, graduating from the latter institution in 1868.
He then taught school for three years in Bradford and Juniata counties, at the end
of which time he entered the office of Hon. John I. Mitchell, of Wellsboro, as a law
student. During his legal studies he also taught school. He was admitted to the
Tioga coimty bar April 6, 1874, and to the United States district and circuit courts



ggg HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.



in June, 1880. Since his admission to practice he has devoted but little attention
to it, having been engaged in mercantile business. Mr. Young was married April
16, 1874, to Mary A. McElheny, a daughter of Thomas and Adelaide McElheny,
of Ithaca, New York, and has two children, Adelaide T. and Sarah L. The family
are adherents of the Presbyterian church, and Mr. Young is a member of the Masonic
order. In polities, a Eepublican, he has filled the offices of school director and
notary public, aiid is one of the substantial business men and enterprising citizens
of Wellsboro, where he carries on one of the leading hardware stores in the county.

George 0. Deeby, of the firm of Derby & Son, boot and shoe merchants, was
born in Groton, Massachusetts, June 7, 1832, and is a son of Oliver and Elizabeth
(Hadley) Derby, natives of that State. He received a common school and academical
education in his native town, and when eighteen years of age went to work in a boot
and shoe factory as a cutter of sole leather. In 1856 he came to Wellsboro, Tioga
county, where he worked as a shoemaker until 1866, in which year he established his
present business. In the meantime, on April 22, 1861, he enlisted in Company E,
Thirteenth Pennsylvania Eeserve, known as the "Bucktails," and was discharged at
Philadelphia, on account of disability, in November, 1862. Eetuming to Wellsboro
he worked at his trade until he started in business for himself, some four yeaxs later.
Mr. Derby was married in 1856, to Susan P. Wood, a daughter of Harvey Wood,
and has three children: George H., Edward H. and Ada M., wife of C. L. Earns-
worth, of Bradford. The family axe members of the Methodist Episcopal church,
and Mr. Derby is connected with the I. 0. 0. E. In polities, he is a Eepublican, and
has served in the borough council for two years.

Geoege H. Deeby, of the boot and shoe firm of George 0. Derby & Son, was
born in Dudley, Massachusetts, July 6, 1857, and is the oldest child of George 0.
and Susan P. Derby. He was educated in the Wellsboro High School, and in 1877,
when twenty years of age, he was engaged as pitcher for the Homellsville, New York,
baseball team. In the spring of 1873 he again played with the same team for four
months, but finished the season with the Syracuse club. In 1879 and 1880 he played
with the Washington team of the International League, and in 1881-82 with the
Detroit National League club. In the spring of 1883 he became a member of the
Buffalo club, but after playing a part of the season his arm gave out and he retired



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 92 of 163)