Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 93 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 93 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


from the profession. He was a very successful pitcher, few, if any, excelling him
in that line. On his retirement from the diamond, he entered his father's shoe
store, in which he had purchased an interest in 1881, since which time he has been
a member of the firm. Mr. Derby was married September 9, 1880, to Ella A. Eobin-
son, of Wellsboro, and has two children, Frank H. and Ealph. The family attend
the Methodist Episcopal church. He is a member of the F. & A. M., and the I. 0.
0. F. societies. In politics, Mr. Derby is a Eepublican, has been a member of the
borough council for the past eight years, and sei-ved as burgess in 1892 and 1893.
He is a director in the First National Bank, vice-president of the Wellsboro Building
and Loan Association, and at present a memt>er of the Wellsboro school board.

Noah Hammond was born in Glens Falls, New York, November 7, 1829; mar-
ried Elizabeth Williams, and in 18.54 located on a farm in Charleston township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania. They were the parents of five children, named as
follows: William A., a merchant of Wellsboro; Mary, wife of F. L. Dunham, of




?(r- Oy^c



S— CcsJ^^aty



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



697



Farmington township; Calvin, deceased; Eugene, a merchant of Wellsboro, and
Anna E. Mr. Hammond died npon his farm April 7, 1873. His widow lives with
their son, Engene.

William A. Hammond, of the firm of W. A. Hammond & Brother, grocers,
was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, November 17, 1854, and is the eldest
child of Noah Hammond. He was reared upon the homestead farm, and obtained
his education in the public schools and at Allen's Business College, Elmira, New
York. He worked as a farm hand a few years, then went to Baxelay, Bradford
county, and took a position as delivery clerk in a grocery store, which he filled for
two years. In April, 1884, he opened his present store in Wellsboro, and sold an
interest in the same to his brother Eugene in 1887, since which time the firm of W.
A. Hammond & Brother has carried on the business. On October 13, 1881, Mr,
Hammond married Ida H. Preble, a daughter of L. J. Preble, of Charleston town-
ship. They are members of the Baptist church, and he is connected with the I. 0.
0. F. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and is a member of the present borough
council.

Eugene Hammond, youngest son of Noah Hammond, was born in Charleston
township, Tioga coimty,. January 17, 1862, resided on the farm until 1887, and then
purchased an interest in his brother's store, since which time he has been the junior
member of the firm of W. A. Hammond & Brother, general grocers. He married
Miss May B. MeCallum, a daughter of William H. McCallum, of Lawrence town-
ship, and has one son, William E. Politically, he is a Eepublican.

EuDOLPH Pagan, Jeweler, was bom in Switzerland, December 13, 1840, a son of
Abraham and Mary (Heuselman) Pagan, natives of that country. He was educated
in the common schools of his native land, and there learned the watchmaker's trade,
which he followed in Switzerland up to 1867. In that year he came to New York
City, where he worked at his trade a yeai- and a half, and subsequently spent ten
years and a half in Elmira, New York. lii 1879 he located in Wellsboro, Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, worked a year and a half at his trade, and then opened a store
with a full line of Jewelry, watches, clocks and silverware, which business he has
since carried on successfully. Mr. Pagan was married in Switzerland, December 30,
1866, to Emma Kocher, a daughter of Stephen Kocher, to which union have been
born five children, three of whom survive, viz: Arthur F., a painter; Edward F., a
clerk in a drug store, and Frank. The family are connected with the Presbyterian
church, and Mr. Pagan is a member of the Masonic order. In politics, he is in sym-
pathy with the principles of the Eepublican party.

William Cltmeh Kbess was bom in Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
in December, 1846, a son of George C. and Eliza Kress. His father was a clerk in
the Bingham land office at Wellsboro for many years, and died June 30, 1860. His
mother died October 12, 1863. William w?is reared to manhood in his native town
and obtained his education in the public schools. He married Mary Adeline Baehe,
youngest daughter of the venerable William Bache, to which union were bom five
children, three of whom are living, as follows: Anna Mabel, George Willipa Bache,
and Maud Ethel. Mr. Kress spent his entire life in Wellsboro, and was one of its'
well-known, active business men. He was engaged in the drug business and later
carried on a foundry and machine shop for several years. When the water works



698 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.



plant was built, Mr. Kress was employed in its construction, and filled the position
of superintendent of the works until the time of his death. He planned and super-
vised the erection of the Baehe Auditorium, comer of Pearl street and East avenue,
WellshoTo, completed in the autumn of 1894 at a cost of $16,000, the principal por-
tion of which was contributed by his father-in-law. Soon after the completion of
this substantial and commodious structure, Mr. Kress began to fail in health, and
died June 36, 1895, from cancer of the stomach. He was one of the progressive and
enterprising citizens of the borough, and his death was regretted by a large circle
of friends.

John Haeman was one of the first settlers of Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
whither he came from Adams county. He was a miller, and built one of the first
grist-mills in the county, near the village of Liberty, which he operated up to his
death, in 1824. Mr. Harman was twice married, and reared a family of eleven chil-
dren. By the first marriage there were Katie, Susan, Betsey, Thoraas, Isaac, John,
William and Henry; and by the second marriage, Andrew, Daniel and Benjamin.

IsA-4C Haeman was bom in Adams county, Pennsylvania, in 1790, and came
to Tioga coimty with his father, where he worked in the mill built by the latter until
1834. The remainder of his life was passed on a farm in Liberty township. He
married Nancy Hagenbush, bom in 1800, in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, who
became the mother of six children, viz: Joseph H., of "Wellsboro; Harriet, deceased;
Matilda, deceased wife of David Landis; Sarah, wife of John Whitaker, of Kansas;
Philemon, a miller of Dundee, New York, and Lorinda, wife of John Wiltsey, of
Kansas. Mr. Harman died in 1864, and his wife in 1878.

Joseph H. Haeman, treasurer and architect of the Wellsboro Manufacturing
and Building Company, was born in Liberty township, Tioga county, June 18, 1839,
and was educated in the public schools. When eighteen years of age he went to
learn the carpenter's trade in Covington, and followed that business until 1871, in
which year he moved to Wellsboro, and continued working at his trade up to 1878.
He then became a member of the firm of Harman, Borden & Company, which was
finally merged into the Wellsboro Manufacturing and Building Company. Mr. Har-
man married Lucy Gaylord, a daughter of Elijah Gaylord, of Covington, Tioga
county. May 4, 1854, to which union have been born three children, viz: Hattie
L., wife of Irwin Keefer, of Wellsboro; Beverly W., who died at the age of seventeen,
and Edith, wife of Eaymond Houghton, of Wellsboro. The family are members of
the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically, Mr. Harman is a Prohibitionist, and
is also a member of the I. 0. 0. E.

HoBEET J. BoEDEN, Superintendent and one of the managers of the Wellsboro
Manufacturing and Building Company, Limited, was bom in Delhi, Delaware county,
New York, March 2, 1844, a son of William and Elizabeth (Weismore) Borden. Hia
father, a machinist by occupation, came to Tioga cotmty in 1853, and located at
Niles Valley, where he followed lumbering for some years, afterwards devoting his
attention to farming. He died in January, 1863, and his wife in October, 1883.
Eobert J. was educated in the piiblic schools of his native county, and in those of
Tioga county. On October 19, 1861, when in his eighteenth year, he enlisted in
Company L, Second Pennsylvania Cavalr3^ He served in the battle of Slater
Mountain, acted as orderly for General Pope at Second Bull Eun, and was sent on



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 699



detached duty just prior to the battle of Fredericksburg. He was honorably dis-
charged November 21, 1864, and was then appointed a mounted messenger to the
paymaster general, in which capacity he served until 1870. Eetuming to Tioga
county, he was engaged in farming and lumbering in Charleston township up to
1880, when he bought an interest in the industry of which he is now superintendent.
The plant was established in 1878, by Joseph H. Harman and Isaac P. Borden, was
operated by Harman, Borden & Company up to May 1, 1893, and was then merged
into a stock company, under the title of the "Wellsboro Manufacturing and Building
Company, Limited. They manufacture all kinds of builders' supplies, buying most
of their lumber on the stump, and do a large contracting and buildiag business,
employing twenty-five hands. Mr. Borden was married July 15, 1864, to Miss
Tannie B. Monshower, of Carroll county, Maryland, who has borne him six children,
viz: William, who died in infancy; Minnie M., wife of ¥. H. Smith, of Wellsboro;
Lolo E., wife of L. E. Van Horn, of the same place; William E., Catharine and Eloise.
The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Borden is con-
nected with the I. 0. 0. P. In politics, a Eepublican, he has served as school director,
councilman and burgess of Wellsboro.

Alfred I. Nichols, of the firm of A. I. Nichols & Son, millers, was bom in
Addison, Steuben county. New York, February 16, 1837, a son of Alfred and Mary
(Drew) Nichols, natives of Ehode Island and Maine, respectively. He was edu-
cated in the common schools of his native town, and when twenty-one years of age
began farming at Tuscarora, Steuben county, and followed that business until 1885,
when he came to Wellsboro and opened a hardware store on Main street. He car-
ried on this business four yeajs, then sold out and purchased the mill property, which
he has since owned and operated. Mr. Nichols married Sarah E. Bache, a daughter
of the venerable William Bache, of Wellsboro, to which union have been bom six
children, viz: Anna B., Emily D., wife of C. E. Converse; William B., a member of the
firm; Enos A., Maud and Blanche. Mr. Nichols and wife attend the Protestant
Episcopal church. Their son William, now known as William Bache, Jr., was bom
in Tuscarora, Steuben county. New York, June 19, 1873, and was educated in the
common schools of his native town and the Wellsboro High School. The firm car-
ries on a wholesale and retail business, and ship their flour to all parts of Penn-
sylvania.

CoL. Justus Daett, a soldier of the Eevolution, and after that a colonel in the
Vermont militia, settled in what is now known as Dartt settlement, in Charleston
township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1811. He was one of the county
commissioners in 1815, and in 1817 was appointed one of the trustees of the Wells-
boro Academy. When he came to the county he purchased 160 acres of land, built
his cabin in the midst of the primitive forest, and settled down to make for himself
and family a home. He followed lumbering and farming up to his death, July 5,
1838, aged eighty-one years. His wife, Hannah, departed this life January 14, 1844,
at the ripe age of eighty-six. They were the founders of the Dartt family of Tioga
county, and have numerous descendants in this section of the State.

Cteus Daett, a son of Col. Justus and Hannah Dartt, was bom in Castleton,
Vermont, October 35, 1800, and was about eleven years old when his parents settled
in Charleston township, Tioga county. He followed farming all his life, residing



700 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

on the farm settled by his father. In 1830 he married Lydia Kelley, who bore him
a family of eight children, viz: Horace, Solon S., Hiram W., Charles N., Lydia,
Irena M., Fidelia H. and Amelia E. His wife dying, he was again married in 1837,
to Matilda Sweet, to which union were born three children: Albert, Elenora and
HajQnah. Mr. Dartt died in 1883 in Wellsboro, having spent his entire life in this
■ county and principally upon the old homestead in Charleston township.

HiEAM W. Daett, third son of Cyrus and Lydia (Kelley) Dartt, was born on
the homestead farm in the Dartt settlement, October 17, 1835, and attended the dis-
trict schools of his neighborhood. When eighteen years of age he began working
at the carpenter's trade, but two years later engaged with S. B. Kendall, of WellsboTo,
to learn wagon making. Six months afterwards he purchased an interest in the
business, and has followed the trade up to the present time. In 1888 he sold the
manufacturing plant and business to his son, A. P. Dartt. In 1854 Mr. Daxtt mar-
ried Adeline Potter, who has borne him seven children, viz: Edgar S., Franklin H.,
assistant superintendent of the Blossburg Coal Company, at Arnot; Effie, wife of
Mark L. Smith, of Scranton; Albert P., Robert E., Arthur H. and Addie. The
family are members of the Presbyterian church, and in politics, adherents of the
Eepublican party.

Edgah S. Daett, eldest son of Hiram "W. Dartt, was born in Wellsboro, Tioga
county, December 19, 1855; received a common school education, and later worked for
ten years in the paint shop of E. L. Mack. In 1888, in partnership with Wisehart
& Keefer, he bought the present plant. It was burned, then rebuilt, and leased
by himself and brother, Albert P. Mr. Dartt was married November 18, 1896, to Mrs.
Lovina L. Longwell, a daughter of James Hall, of Charleston township. In politics,
Mr. Dartt is a Eepublican; was tax collector of the borough from 1888 to 1890, and
filled the office of constable from 1888 to 1893. He is a member of the Presbyterian
church.

Albeet p. Daett, son of Hiram W. Dartt, was born in Wellsboro, Tioga county,
December 11, 1861, attended the public schools of his native town, and when sixteen
years of age entered his father's shop to learn the wagon-making trade. In 1888 he
and his brother, Edgar S., purchased the business from their father, and have since
conducted it, manufacturing all kinds of wagons and sleighs, and giving employment
to twelve men. They also carry on in connection with the factory a retail harness
store. Mr. Dartt was married October 13, 1887, to Carrie M., daughter of Gen.
Eobert C. Cox, and has one child, Mildred M. Mrs. Dartt died February 34, 1891.
He was married a second time March 30, 1895, to Sarah M. Williams, a daughter of
Orrin E. Williams. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, also of the I. 0. 0.
F., and in politics, a Eepublican.

Aethue H. Daett, youngest son of Hiram W. Dartt, was born in Wellsboro,
October 19, 1868; was educated in the High School, and when sixteen years of age
began working in the blacksmith shop in his father's factory. After learning the
trade, he engaged with his brothers, A. P. & E. S. Dartt, for whom he worked three
years, and then went to Buffalo, 'Sew York, where he followed his trade until
Jamiary 1, 1894, when he again entered the employ of his brothers, as assistant
manager, which position he now fills. He was married August 33, 1894, to Miss
Kate Van Valkenburg, daughter of Henry and Hattie (Wilson) Van Valkenburg, of



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 7Q][



Wellsboro. He is a member of Tyoga Lodge, No. 230, and Wellsboro Encamp-
ment, No. 78, I. 0. 0. F.

John Gisin, tanner and dealer in hides and pelts, was bom in Switzerland,
November 18, 1840, and is a son of Sebastian and Anna (Prack) Gisin. He was
reared in his native land, and in 1865 immigrated to the United States. After a few
months of travel through the country, he located in Nelson, Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, and in June, 1866, commenced learning the tanner's trade with C. F. Mar-
graff, of that borough. He worked for that gentleman nine years, and then removed
to Patterson, New Jersey, where he purchased a fancy goods and millinery store,
which he conducted five years. Coming to Wellsboro in 1881, he purchased the
tannery of Joseph EiberoUe, which he carried on until October, 1886, when the
plant was burned. He immediately rebuilt on a larger scale, and now operates the
only tannery in the borough. Mr. Gisin was married October 33, 1869, to Louisa A.
Margraff, a daughter of Fred Margraff, who has borne him four children, viz:
Anna, a teacher in the public schools; Nellie, who died at the age of three years;
Mabel, and Mattie. The family attend the Protestant Episcopal church. In politics,
Mr. Gisin is a Kepublican, and is a member of the I. 0. 0. F.

EoBEBT H. Fleming came from Michigan to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in
1865, bringing his family with him. They located at Tioga, where he worked at
shoemaking for two years, then moved to Stony Fork, and four years later to Com-
ing, New York; thence to Antrim, and finally to Hoytville, Tioga county. His vidfe,
Catherine (Greek) Fleming, was the mother of nine children, five of whom are
living, viz: Adelia A., wife of Zealous Austin, of Morris Eun; Lester M., of Wells-
boro; Martha, wife of H. L. Spencer, of Delmar; Addie, wife of Louis Bulss, of
Blossburg, and Jennie, of the same borough. Mr. Fleming died in Hoytville, Au-
gust 27, 1889. His widow resides with her daughter in Blossburg.

Lestee M. Fleming, of the firm of Spencer & Fleming, proprietors of the Key-
stone Flouring Mills, was born in Dundee, Monroe county, Michigan, September
19, 1859, and is the only living son of Eobert H. and Catherine Fleming. He was
six years old when the family came to Tioga county, and he was here educated in
the common schools. When sixteen years of age he entered the employ of Alenson
Spencer, his present partner, and after seven'teen years of faithful service, he bought
an interest in the mill, September 7, 1891, and is now a member of the firm. Mr.
Fleming was married April 27, 1876, to Susie M. Spencer, a daughter of Alenson
Spencer, and has two children, Edward Monroe and Alenson Eobert. Mr. Fleming
is a member of the P. of H. and has been connected with the choir of the Methodist
Episcopal church of Wellsboro for the past eight years.

Lucius Truman, a native of Owego, New York, followed lumbering on Pine
creek for twenty-five years, and later carried on the same business in Wellsboro. Ho
served in the Eebellion as first lieutenant of Company E, and later as quartermaster
of the famous "Buektail" regiment. He married Mary P. Leach, of Owego, New
York, who bore him the following children: Albert A., Hattie, wife of J. W. Van
Valkenberg, and Louis F., all residents of Wellsboro; Elizabeth, deceased wife of
W. P. Bigoney; Irving L., a resident of Trout Eun, Lycoming county; Lilla, and
Herman L., both deceased. Mrs. Truman died in Owego in 1863, aged forty-six
years. He again married, Mary Doumaux, who bore him three children: Belle,



YQ2 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Edgar, deceased, and Nellie. Mr. Truman died in Wellsboro, in May, 1890, aged
seventy-two years. His widow resides in that borough.

Albeet a. Teuman, agent of the American Express Company at Wellsboro,
was bom in Owego, New York, October 6, 1841, and is the eldest child o.f Lucius
and Mary P. (Leach) Truman. He was educated in the common schools, and on
April 25, 1861, he enlisted in the United States navy, served two months on the
receiving ship, Princeton, and was then assigned to duty as landsman on the St.
Lawrence, a frigate of fifty guns, upon which he spent two years. He was then
made yoeman of the bark Pursuit, was later transferred to the steamer Union, and
was discharged in June, 1863. Eetuming to Owego he clerked in a dry goods store
for a few months, later followed the same business at Corning one year, and then
came to Wellsboro, where he purchased an interest in the store of 0. BuUard, which
he disposed of a year later and then clerked for Converse & Osgood one year; for J.
E. Bowen two years, and Laugher Bache one year. He next embarked in the
grocery business, but sold out at the end of a year and engaged in draying, which he
followed five years. He then went to the Black Hills, where he worked in the gold
mines nineteen months. Returning to Wellsboro, he clerked for E. B. Young one
year, and then accepted the position as station agent of the Fall Brook railroad at
Middlebury. Six months later he went to Corning as agent for the American Ex-
press Company, and at the end of a year was appointed messenger for the same com-
pany on the Fall Brook railroad. In April, 1883, he was transferred to Wellsboro,
where he has since been the agent of that company. Mr. Truman was married
November 25, 1868, to Amia Stowell Bache, a daughter of John N. Bache, of Wells-
boro, who has borne him three children, viz: Lilla, who died in infancy; Minnie B.,
a teacher in the Wellsboro High School, and John Norris Bache, book-keeper for
the Wellsborough National Bank. The family are members of the Protestant Epis-
copal church, in which body Mr. Truman is a vestryman and secretary of the vestry
for the past three years. Mr. Truman is a member of Ossea Lodge, No. 317, F. & A.
M.; Tyoga Chapter, No. 194, E. A. M., of which he is now the Scribe, and Tya-
gaghton Commandery, No. 28, K. T. He is also a member of George Cook Post, No.
315, G. A. E., in which he has filled the offices of commander and adjutant.

William O'Connoe was bom in Carlton county, New Brunswick, February
14, 1853. His father, Charles O'Connor, was a native of Ireland and immigrated
to New Brunswick in early manhood, where he married Lovina Birmingham, who
bore him nine children, five of whom are living, viz: John, a resident of Stokesdale;
James and William, of Wellsboro; Elizabeth, wife of John Groom, of EoUing Dam,
New Brunswick, and Matilda, wife of Zebulon Oilman, of Aroostook county, Maine.
The father died in 1858, and his widow married Samuel Darkis, since deceased.
She now resides in Aroostook county, Maine. William received a common school
education, and begain in life for himself when sixteen years of age. Coming to
Wellsboro, he accepted such employment as offered, later began lumbering, and
then engaged in general contracting. By constant industry and strict attention
to business, he enlarged his enterprises and widened the field of his operations until
he is now interested as a partner in the company stores at Amot and Landrus, and
a stockholder in the bank at Galeton, Potter county. He also owns a valuable farm
in Morris township, and is engaged in lumbering operations at Nelson Eun, Potter



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 703



county. Mr. O'Connor was married May 13, 1873, to Martha Webstei', a daughter
of J. E. Webster, of Morris township, and has three children, viz: Lura, Ada and
Edna. In 1876 he became a resident of Morris, and lived there until the spring of
1896, when he removed to Wellsboro, purchasing the residence of the late Dr. Hugh
L. Davis. In polities, Mr. O'Connor is a stanch Democrat, but has never been an
office seeker, his business affairs receiving all his time and attention. It can be said
to his credit, that from a penniless boy, he has, since coming to Tioga county, by his
own efforts and energy, raised himself to a prominent place among the successful bus-
iness men of this section of the State, and that his career has been marked by a strict
adherence to honorable business methods. He enjoys the confidence of his business
associates and the respect and esteem of his fellow-citizens generally.

Eev. M. J. Manly, pas.tor of St. Peter's Catholic church of Wellsboro, was born
in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, March 19, 1861, a son of Michael J. and Mary H.
(Judge) Manly. His parents were natives of Ireland, his father being bom and
reared in County Mayo and his mother in County Limerick. They were married in
their native land and came to Wilkes-Barre in 1854, where Mr. Manly became a
railroad contractor. He died in 1868, and his wife in 1873. They were the parents
of the following named children: Catherine and Maria Josephine, of Wilkes-Barre;
Julia, who died June 27, 1883, being then Sister Mary of St. Peter, in the Convent
of the Good Shepherd, Philadelphia; Maggie, who died in February, 1883; M. J.
and Anthony. The subject of this sketch attended the public schools of Wilkes-
Barre in boyhood, and later spent a year and a half as a student in the Protestant
Seminary of Kiingston, Luzerne county. He then entered St. Bonaventure's College,
Allegany, New York, where took a course in classics and philosophy, graduating



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 93 of 163)