Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 94 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 94 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


with the degree of B. A. He next entered St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore, Maryland,
where he completed, his theological course, and was ordained in that city October 8,
1883, by Cardinal Gibbons and Bishop Northrup. He soon after took charge of
a church at Honesdale, Pennsylvania, but within a year was appointed pastor of St.
Catherine's church, Moscow, having charge also of the churches at Tobyhanna,
Stroudsburg and Gouldsboro, which pastorate he filled seven years. On November
17, 1890, he took charge of St. Peter's church at Wellsboro. He has also imder
his care the mission churches at Tioga, Antrim and Hoytville, and seventeen ad-
ditional missions without churches within the confines of Tioga county. Father
Manly is a popular priest, a very eloquent speaker, and one of the hardest-working
priests in the Diocese of Seranton.

Elmee Bacon, a native of Vermont, came to Charleston township, Tioga county,
early in the present century and settled near Round Top, where he followed farming
and lumbering. He married Mary Merrick, a daughter of Israel Merrick, Sr., one of
the pioneers of Wellsboro. Eleven children were bom to this union, as follows:
George, a resident of Nebraska; Elmer, deceased; Mary, deceased wife of W. P.
Shumway; Henry, a resident of Dakota; Rebecca, widow of John A. McEwen, of
Williamsport; Niram, a resident of Wisconsin; Levi L., who enlisted in the New
York Southern Tier Rifles during the Rebellion and died at Georgetown, D. C;
Morgan L., a physician of Wellsboro; Sarah, wife of E. E. Wilson, of the same place,
and David, deceased. Mr. Bacon died in Charleston township in April, 1847, and
his wife in 1873.



704 piSTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

MoEGAK L. Bacon, M. D., was bom in Charleston township, Tioga county,
June 19, 1837, a son of Elmer and Mary Bacon. After attending the common
schools he became a student in the Wellsboro Academy and later in Union Academy,
at Academy Comers, graduating from the latter institution in 1857. After teaching
for a short time he began the study of medicine under Dr. Nelson Packer, of Wells-
boro, which he pursued until 1861, when he enlisted as a hospital steward in the
Forty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, the famous Bucktail regiment, and served
four months. In July, 1863, he raised Company E, of the Thirty-fifth regiment,
Emergency Men, of which he was commissioned captain, and was discharged with
the regiment. Dr. Bacon then began the practice of his profession in Mansfield, re-
maining there five years. In 1868 he moved to Blossburg, where he practiced until
1870, and then became the physician of the Morris Eun Coal Mining Company at
Morris Eun, where he practiced two years. In 1872 he located in Wellsboro, and
for the past twenty-five years has continued in the active duties of his profession,
being to-day one of the oldest practitioners in the borough. On November 30,
1863, Dr. Bacon married Eva Bailey^ a daughter of John W. Bailey, and has three
children, viz: John E., a physician of Buffalo; Dana S., a real estate dealer of Model
City, New York, and Morgan L., a medical student in the Buffalo University. Dr.
Bacon is recognized as a skillful and successful physician and stands high in his pro-
fession. He was a member of the pension board under Cleveland's first adminis-
tration and is secretary of the present pension board of Tioga county. He is also
the local surgeon of the Fall Brook Eailroad Company and has built up a large and
lucrative practice. In polities, he is a stanch Democrat, has served as a school
director for thirteen years, and is the present health officer of Wellsboro. In religion,
Dr. Bacon is a consistent member of the Presbyterian church.

Hugh Llewellyn Davis, M. D., was one of the best known physicians of Tioga
county during his professional career. He was bom at Summit Hill, Carbon county,
Pennsylvania, December 10, 1851, a son of Eeese L. and Mary (Evans) Davis. His
parents were natives of Wales and came to Charleston township, Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, in 1833. After a short stay they removed to Carbon county, but many
years later returned to Charleston township, where both resided until death, the
father dying Febmary 16, 1891, and the mother, June 5, 1892. They reared a
family of eight children, Hugh L. being a small child when the family returned to
Tioga county. Our subject attended the common schools of Charleston and sub-
sequently the State Normal School at Mansfield. He then taught for five years in
different parts of Tioga county. In 1870 he commenced the study of medicine under
Dr. Nelson Packer, of Wellsboro, and graduated from Jefferson Medical College,
Philadelphia, in March, 1875. He soon after opened an office at Knoxville, whence
he removed in 1876 to Amot, and a year later to West Hampton, Massachusetts.
In the autumn of 1879 he retumed to Wellsboro where he soon built up a large
practice and continued in the active duties of his profession until his death, from
cerebral hemorrhage, December 19, 1895. Dr. Davis was one of those genial, large-
hearted men who had a cordial greeting for everj' one. His kindly and sympathetic
nature and encouraging words in the sick room drew many hearts to him. Ambitious
and physically strong, charitable, and in love with his profession, he was always
ready to answer a call regardless of the prospect of remuneration. On June 16,



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. ^QS



1875, he married Emma Janette Karr, daughter of John Karr, of Wellsboro. His
widow and two sons, Hugh Karr and Donald Llewellyn, axe left to mourn the death
of a kind husband and father. Dr. Davis was Past Master of Ossea Lodge, F. & A.
M. and Eminent Commander of Tyagagliton Commandery. He was also connected
with the I. 0. 0. P. and the Alert Hose Company. In politics, a Eepublican, he
was serving in the borough council at the time of his death, the duties of which
office he discharged with zeal and discretion. Upon the minutes of Tyagaghton
Commandery is inscribed the following tribute to his memory:

As a man and a citizen lie was upright, fair and courageous, and he always en-
deavored to do his duty according to his light. He never sought for ofBoe of emolument,
taut willingly shared the burdens of the administration of local government. He won
the affection and esteem of all those who employed him professionally, and his uniform
courtesy to every one made his friends legions.

As a member of the Masonic fraternity he has engraved his memory upon our
hearts, more lasting and enduring than can be chiseled upon tablets of stone. He has
fallen in life's battle, with his armor on, manfully fighting his way in the foremost rank,
a martyr to duty. ,

Augustus Niles, M. D., was bom upon the old homestead in Tioga township,
Tioga county, November 10, 1853. He is the eldest son of Augustus E. Mies, a
grandson of Augustus Niles, and a great-grandson of Fathan Niles, Sr., one of the
first settlers in the Tioga valley. During his boyhood he attended the public
schools of Tioga borough, where he obtained a good education. He attended lectures
at Bennett Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, graduating from that institution in
1875, in which year he began practice at Nelson, Tioga county. In 1878 he removed
to Keeneyville, where he practiced fifteen years. In 1893 he located in Wellsboro,
and has since built up an extensive professional business and is recognized as a suc-
cessful physician and a skillful surgeon. He has been a member of the state board
of medical examiners since its creation, March 4, 1894, and is a member of the
medical council of Pennsylvania. Dr. Niles was married April 11, 1875, to Mary
J. Knuppenburg, a daughter of Dana A. Knuppenburg, of Nelson, and has two
children, Augustus and Jerome D. In politics. Dr. Niles is a Eepublican, and has
served two terms as coroner of Tioga county, from 1890 to 1896. He is a member
of the I. 0. 0. P., and is also connected with the lodge, chapter and commandery in
the Masonic order.

Dh. L. M. Johnson was born at Bethany, Genesee county. New York, February
1'!, 1818, a son of Nichols and Lucy (Eeynolds) Johnson, the former a native of
South Carolina, and the latter of New York. He was educated at Bath and Geneva,
New York, and at the age of thirty began reading medicine with Dr. M. F. Babcoek,
of Hammondsport, New York, and later took a course in the Medical Department
of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor. He then engaged in the practice
of medicine at Galesburgh, Michigan, where he remained one year, and afterwards
traveled a few years. In 1858 he came to Wellsboro, Tioga county, opened an office
and began the practice of his profession. Here he remained in active practice until
1870, when failing health compelled him to give up a portion of his practice. He
removed to his farm in Charleston township, which he had purchased in 1869,
remained there three years, and devoted his attention to farming. In 1873 he
returned to Wellsboro and resumed practice. In 1883 he went to North Dakota, re-

45



"JQQ HISTOKY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

maining there until 1889. He then returned to Wellsboro, where he lived two
years, and again took up his residence on his farm. In 1896 he returned to Wells-
boro, and resumed the practice of medicine. Dr. Johnson has been married twice.
In 1856 he married Elizabeth Lockwood, of New York. She died in 1857, and in
1866 he married Sarah E. Wilson, of Charleston township. They have an adopted
daughter, Kate.

Db. Joel Eose was bom in Eoseville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, June 2,
1820, a son of William Eose, a native of Eutland, Vermont, who came to Tioga
coimty in 1806, and settled on the site of Eoseville, in what is now Eutland township,
beiQg one of the first settlers of that part of the county. Joel attended the common
schools in boyhood, and later studied medicine under Dr. Abel Humphrey, of Tioga,
and graduated at Geneva Medical College, Geneva, New York. He commenced
practice at Eoseville, where he continued until 1863, in which year he removed to
Detroit, Michigan, and followed his professional duties in that city until his death,
July 9, 186^. Dr. Eose married Alvira Stevens, and reared a family of four chil-
dren, viz: Celia D., deceased wife of J. H. Desrosiers; Prank H., a dentist of Wells-
boro; Clara E., wife of Charles Pepper, of Chicago, and Elizabeth, deceased. Mrs.
Eose resides with her daughter in Chicago.

Eeank Hamilton Eosk, D. D. S., was born in Eoseville, Tioga county, August
16, 1849, and was educated in the common schools of his native village, and in
Detroit, Michigan. He studied dentistry and in May, 1876, opened his present
ofSce, where he has since made a specialty of operative dentistry, and has built
up a successful practice. Dr. Eose married Emma Bush, of Wellsboro, September
29, 1875, and has one daughter, Kittie. The family are members of the Presby-
terian church. Mrs. Eose is the only child of Isaac and Catherine (Borden) Bush.
Her father was born in New York state, February 2, 1832, came to Tioga county,
and located at NHes Valley, where he engaged extensively in the lumber business.
He afterwards removed to Wellsboro, where he followed the boot and shoe business
a few years, then returned to Niles Valley, and was killed in a saw-mill, March 11,
1872. His widow died in 1884, aged fifty-one years.

De. John Henky Sheaeeb is one of the oldest practicing physicians in Tioga
county. He was bom in Delaware county, Pennsylvania, January 16, 1827, a son
of Henry and Catherine Shearer, natives of the same county. He was reared a
farmer's boy, and at the age of nineteen enlisted in the Marine Corps, at Phila-
delphia, for service in the Mexican War, and was assigned to the line-of-battleship
lOhio. He was at the siege and capture of Vera Cruz, and served until the close
of the war, when he took up his residence in the Qualcer City and began his medical
studies under Prof. A. E. Small. He graduated from what is now Hahnemann
College, Philadelphia, in the spring of 1852, and opened an office at Wellsboro,
Tioga county, where he practiced three years and a half. In 1856 he went to
Springfield, Illinois, spent some time in travel through the west, and practiced
at Sprinfield from the fall of 1856 until the spring of 1859, when, because of failing
health, he returned to Wellsboro, which has since been his permanent home. Dr.
Shearer was married in 1858, to Hannah Stanton Eathbun, of Springfield, who
died October 20, 1878, and has one son by that union, William Lincoln, editor and
publisher of the Republican Advocate. He married for his second wife, Margaret M.



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 7O7



Wylie, a daughter of W. P. Wylie, a well-known citizen of this county. Dr. Shearer
was a next-door neighbor of Abraham Lincoln during his residence in Springfield;
a member of his presidential pajtyj his guest at the White House in 1863, and
one of his closest friends until his tragic end. Dr. Shearer has been in continuous
practice in Wellsboro for nearly forty years.

William Lincoln Sheaeer, only child of Dr. John H. and Hannah Stanton
Shearer, was bom in Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, October 28, 1861. He received a
good English education, graduating from the Wellsboro High School in 1881.
After reading law under Judge Henry W. Williams and Hon. Horace B. Packer, he
was admitted to the bar April 5, 1886, and practiced his profession about six
months. On November 1, 1886, he bought an interest in the Republican Advocate
and became a partner with James H. Matson. On March 10, 1891, he purchased Mr.
Matson's interest, since which time he has conducted the paper alone. Mr. Shearer
was married July 31, 1883, to Margaret L. Van Valkenburg, a daughter of C. G.
Van Valkenburg, of Wellsboro. A Eepublican, in politics, Mr. Shearer has un-
compromisingly maintained the principles of that party in the columns of his
paper. He is a vigorous, incisive writer, and has conducted the Republican Advocate
with ability and success. In religion he is an adherent of the Protestant Episcopal
church.

Augustus P. Baenes, of the firm of Barnes & Eoy, editors and publishers of
the Wellsboro Agitator, was bom in Painted Post, Steuben county, New York,
December 30, 1838, and is a son of Washington and Deidamia (Knox) Barnes. His
mother died when he was but five weeks old, and he was eared for by an aunt in
Knoxville, Steuben county, until four years of age, when, his father having re-
married, he was taken to live with him in Bath, New York, and there grew to man-
hood. His early education was acquired in the common schools. In 1859, after
a preliminary reading under his father, who was a prominent lawyer of Steuben
county, he completed his studies in the office of Spencer & Thomson, the leading
law firm of Corning, New York, and was admitted to practice in 1860. During the
next two years he filled the position of surrogate clerk under his father, who had
been elected county judge and surrogate of Steuben county. From 1863 to 1873
he practiced law in Bath, with the exception of about twenty months, during 1864-65,
when he was a clerk in the quartermaster general's office, Washington, D. C, and
a portion of the winter of 1865-66, when he was engaged in editing the Havana
Journal, Havana, New York. In January, 1873, Mr. Barnes bought a half interest
in the Wellsboro Agitator of P. C. Van Gelder. In September following Arthur
M. Eoy purchased Mr. Van Gelder's remaining interest and the firm became Barnes
& Eoy, and has so continued to the present time. Mr. Barnes was married February
19, 1873, to Sarah Bull, a daughter of Col. William H. and Sarah (Whiting) Bull,
of Bath, New York. The following named children have been bom to this union:
Sarah, Anna, Eobert S. and Franklin A., both deceased; William Douglas and
John Knox. In polities, Mr. Barnes is a Eepublican, and in religion, a member
of the Protestant Episcopal chxirch. As editor of the Agitator, Mr. Barnes has
proven himself a clear and logical thinker and a vigorous, forceful writer. He
wields a facile, graceful pen, and deals with all matters of public policy with frank-
ness and fearlessness. Under his guidance the Agitator has become a power in this



708 HISTOEY 01" TIOGA COUNTY.

congressional district, and is recognized as one of the best-edited weekly papers in
Pennsylvania.

Akthuk M. Eoy, of the firm of Barnes & Eoy, editors and publishers of the
Wellsboro Agitator, is the only living child of Dr. Eobert and Irene M. (Dartt) Eoy.
He was bom in Wellsboro, November 4, 1853, and was educated in the borough
schools and in the Mansfield State Normal. At the age of twelve years he entered
the Agitator office as an apprentice and served three years. He then went to school
until he was nineteen years old. On September 1, 1872, he purchased the half
interest of P. C. Van Gelder in the Agitator and became a partner of A. P. Barnes,
the firm becoming Barnes & Eoy. Entering the firm with a practical knowledge
of the art of printing, Mr. Eoy has devoted himself to the mechanical department
of the paper and ofEiee, and has also discharged the duties of local editor. He
has few superiors as a printer, having mastered the art in all its details. The neat
typographical appearance of the Agitator, and the high class of work turned out by
the jobbing department of the establishment, bear testimony to his skill. As a
gleaner of local news he is industrious, and what he writes stamps him a first class
newspaper man. Mr. Eoy was married September 6, 1876, to Margaret L. Giles,
a daughter of Benjamin and Eachel Giles, of Jamestown, ISTew York. To this
marriage there have been bom three children, viz: Harold, Annie and Eobert. Mr.
Eoy ranks among the prominent and respected citizens of Wellsboro. In politics
he is a Eepublican, and has always been outspoken in the advocacy of the principles
of that party. He is a deacon of the Presbyterian church of Wellsboro; is also
superintendent of the Presbyterian Sunday-school, and is an active supporter of
everything tending toward the moral advancement of the community. He is a
director in the First National Bank, and a member of the P. & A. M. and I. 0. 0. P.
societies.

Feank Coneveey, editor and publisher of the Wellsboro Gazette, was born in
Bath, Steuben county, New York, July 16, 1855, and is a son of Patrick and Sarah
Conevery. While he was yet an infant, his father was accidentally killed. His
mother, who is still living, is a resident of Bath. Mr. Conevei-y's early education
was acquired in the common schools. In 1869, when but fourteen years old, he
became a printer's apprentice, and completed his trade in 1872, in the office of the
Bath Advocate. During the next two years he worked as a journeyman printer
in the Advocate office, the Buffalo Courier and other papers. In the fall of 1874 he
took charge of the mechanical department of the Hammondsport Herald, continuing
until April, 1877, when he came to Wellsboro and in the following August bought
out the interest of P. G. Churchill in the Wellsboro Gazette and became a partner in
its publication with S. N. Havens, urtder the firm name of Havens & Conevery. This
partnership was terminated in November, 1881, when Mr. Havens sold his interest
to Herbert Huntington, and the firm became Huntington & Conevery. In No-
vember, 1885, Frederick K. Wright bought the interest of Mr. Huntington, and
continued as a partner until January 1, 1895, since which time Mr. Conevery has
carried on the enterprise alone. On December 9, 1880, Mr. Conevery married
Helen Bullard, a daughter of M. S. and Mariette Bullard, of Wellsboro. Two
children, a daughter, Mary, and a son, Eobert G., have been bom to them. In
politics, Mr. Conevery is a Democrat, and in the presidential campaign of 1896,



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 17QQ



his paper gave Bryan and Sewall and the Chicago platform, able, earnest and un-
swerving support, and especially that plank of the platform which declared for the
free coinage of silver. Under Mr. Conevery's management the Gazette has acquired
a well-deserved reputation as an ahly-edited and well-conducted newspaper. Its
editorials are strongly written and party and public questions are dealt with in a
fearless manner. Local news from all parts of the county is industriously gathered,
the Gazette being especially noted for the excellence of its local news department.
Being the only outspoken Democratic paper in the county, it has a large circulation,
and is regarded as one of the leading Democratic journals of the northern tier.
Mr. Conevery is a member of Alert Hose Company, and also of the K. of P. and K.
0. T. M. societies.

Samuel Mohgan, Sr., bom in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, March
16, 1803, was educated in the common schools, and learned the blacksmith's trade
in his native county, which he followed there until 1837. In that year he came
to Tioga county and located at Covington, then a hamlet of only a few buildings,
called "The Corners," where he followed his trade for seven years. He then pur-
chased a farm in the Frost settlement, and followed farming in connection with
his trade until 1855, when he sold the farm and removed to Eound Top, Charleston
township; bought a property, and followed blacksmithing, lumbering and farming,
up to his death, February 10, 1875. Mr. Morgan was married in 1834, to Ann
Emble, a daughter of Albert and Hannah Kimble. Ten children were bom to
this union, eight of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, as follows: Sarah A.,
wife of Jesse Bryant, of Charleston township; H. Elizabeth, deceased wife of Jon-
athan Bveretts; Daniel M., of Olean, New York; William M., who died in a
southern prison during the Eebellion, from a gun-shot wound; Jonathan V., of
"Wellsboro; Seth, a farmer in Arkansas; Samuel, a resident of Charleston township,
and Ephraim, deceased. With the exception of the last mentioned, all of the sons
were soldiers in the Union army, and all but Samuel served from the beginning
to the close of the war. Mrs. Morgan died in 1873. Mr. Morgan was a member
of the Baptist church in early life, but later united with the Wesleyan Methodist
church, in which faith he died.

Jonathan V. Morgan, ex-treasurer of Tioga county, was bom in Covington
township, Tioga county, March 1, 1838; was reared upon a farm, and was educated
in the public schools and at Wellsboro Academy. On April 33, 1861, he enlisted
in Company E, First Pennsylvania Eeserve, known as "The Bucktails." He was
taken prisoner at Gaines' Hill, June 38, 1863, and was confined in Libby, Castle
Thunder and Belle Isle prisons, and later paroled, and rejoined his regiment at
Alexandria, Virginia. With the exception of the period when he was a prisoner, he
served in all the engagements in which his regiment participated. He was wounded
at Gettysburg, and was several times promoted for gallant and meritorious conduct
on the battle-field. He commanded his company through most of the Wilderness
Campaign, as first sergeant, and was first lieutenant by brevet when his regiment
was mustered out of service, in June, 1864. Mr. Morgan then returned to Tioga
county, and resumed farming in Charleston township. He was married February
25, 1869, to Melvina L. Shumway, a daughter of Joseph J. and Margaret C. (Peake)
Shumway, of Charleston township. Mrs. Morgan had three brothers: Charles L.,



710 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Hiram P. and William P. Charles L., was a soldier in the Civil War, and died
August 22, 1864. Hiram P. is a resident of Olean, New York, and William P. is
dead. Politically, Mr. Morgan is an unswerving Eepublican. lie served two terms
as township treasurer, two terms as supervisor, and one as school director. In 1887
he was elected a jury commissioner, in which office lie served three years, and in the
fall of 1892 he was elected county treasurer, which position he filled in an acceptable
manner until January, 1896. Mr. Morgan is a member of Tyoga Lodge, No. 230,
I. 0. 0. P., also of George Cook Post, G. A. E., of Wellsboro. He has held all the
important olfices in the latter, and has been state aid-de-camp two terms. He is
a member of the Union Veteran Legion, and the Association of Prisoners, and
takes an active interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare of the old veterans.

James L. White, ex-postmaster of Wellsboro, is a son of the late Judge Robert
G. White, and was born in Wellsboro, Tioga county, October 23, 1849. He was edu-
cated in the High School, and when eighteen years of age went to California and
worked two years in the silver mines. Returning to Wellsboro, he clerked for C. C.
Mathers six years, and in the spring of 1876 he was appointed inspector of customs



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 94 of 163)