Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 95 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 95 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


at Philadelphia. In the spring of 1877, he and his brother Frank purchased a
grocery store in Wellsboro, and one year later he bought his brothei-'s interest.
He conducted the business until 1883, when he bought out the store of F. K.
Wright, consolidated the two stores, and carried on merchandising until 1884,
when he was burned out. He immediately ro-stocked his store, and then sold the
business to Saxton, Seely & Company, in the fall of 1886. In the autumn of 1889
he went to Pittsburg, where he acted as state agent for the Edison phonograph
for one year, returning to Wellsboro in the fall of 1890. In 1891 he was appointed
postmaster of Wellsboro, which position he occupied four years, and is now holding
the responsible position of cashier of the House of Representatives, Washington,
D. C. Mr. White was married November 24, 1875, to Adelaide Wilbur, a daughter
of Col. Aaron Wilbur, of Savannah, Georgia, and has three children, viz: Adelaide
Louise, Sarah Bache and Mary Wilbur. The family attend the Protestant Episcopal
church. Politically, Mr. AVhite is a Republican, and has been a member of the school
board, president of the board of education, and a member of the borough council.
He is connected with the F. & A. M., and is Past Commander of the Knights
Templar.

HoEACE A. Deans was born in Montrose, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania,
February 10, 1824. His father, James Deans, was a native of Lebanon county, Con-
necticut, bom in 1794, and removed with his parents to Montrose when ten years
of age. He there learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for many years.
In 1819 he married Abigail Cornwall, and reared two sons, Horace A. and Willis B.,
the latter a merchant of Montrose. Horace was reared in his native town, and there
commenced his business cai-eer. He enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and
Thirty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, served nine months, and then re-enlisted
in the Signal Service, and was stationed at Georgetown Heights until the close
of the war. Returning to Montrose, he worked at paper hanging, painting and
carpentering until his death, in July, 1877. He married Frances E. Stroud, March
29, 1848, and reared two sons, Frank A., of Wellsboro, and Edward C, a resident
of Scranton.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 711



Prank A. Deans was born in Bridgewater township, Susquehanna county,
January 22, 1849, and is the eldest son of Horace A. Deans. He spent his boyhood
days in Hyde Park, Lackawanna county, where he was educated in the graded school.
"When fifteen years of age he entered a printing office in Montrose, where he worked
for two yeai-s. He subsequently clerked in the postoffice in that town for two years,
and then engaged with C. M. Crandall, of Montrose, to learn the turnei-'s trade,
at which he spent three years. He later entered the insurance office of Billings
Stroud, and on June 1, 1870, came to Wellsboro, Tioga county, to clerk in the land
office of the Bingham estate. He occupied that position until Mr. Simpson's death,
April 15, 1893, when he succeeded him as agent of the trustees of said estate. Mr.
Deans was man-ied December 9, 1873, to Mary E. Guernsey, a daughter of H. A.
Guernsey. He is a member of Tyoga Lodge, No. 230, and Wellsboro Encampment,
No. 78, 1. 0. 0. P. For the past twenty years he has been Scribe of the lodge,
and has filled the chair in both branches. He is also colonel of the Second Pennsyl-
vania Regiment of Patriarchs Militant. He is a member of Ossea Lodge, No. 317,
P. & A. M.; Tyoga Chapter, No. 194, R. A. M., and Tyagaghton Commandery, No.
28, K. T. Mr. Deans is the leader of Wellsborough's Military Band, whi(;h owes its
present efficiency to his efforts. He was also a leading spirit in the organi-
zation of the Alert Hose Company, and has ever been active in promoting the best
interests of the borough.

George W. "Williams, a son of Joseph and Elizabeth Tabor "Williams, was bom
in Tioga, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, June 23, 1859. His parents removed to
Wellsboro when our subject was less than one year old, and he there grew to man-
hood, receiving his education in the public schools. "When sixteen years of age
he commenced clerking in the store of C. C. Mathers, and later clerked for Young &
Miller. He was next employed in the commissioners' office by Leonard Harrison,
at the time he was commissioners' clerk. On January 1, 1880, he accepted a position
as clerk in the office of the Bingham estate where he has since been employed. Mr.
Williams has taken considerable interest in public affairs, has served as a member
of the borough council, and also as burgess of Wellsboro, and at different times
has been chairman of the Republican county committee. He was man-ied March
12, 1883, to Ida A. Horton, a daughter of Capt. A. B. Horton, formerly of Wells-
boro, and has two children, Clinton T. and Joseph H.

William E. Champaign, sheriff of Tioga county, was born at Cedar Run,
Brown township, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, January 3, 1861, son of Peter
B. and Hannah (Sechrist) Champaign. His father was a native of Soriel, which is
located at the mouth of the outlet of Lalfe Champlain, in the Province of Quebec,
Canada, while his mother was bom in Liberty township, Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania. His father served in the Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volun-
teers, and is now a resident of Elk township. William E. was reared in Lycoming
and Tioga counties, and has been a permanent resident of this county since his
seventh year. He obtained a common school education and labored at lumbering
until after his majority. In 1886 he engaged in the life and fire insurance business,
which he still carries on in connection with his duties as sheriff. Mr. Champaign
mai-ried Emma N. Neal, daughter of Daniel Neal, September 12, 1884, and has two
children, Nellie and Earle. The family are Presbyterians. He is an ardent Re-



712 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COITNTT.

publican, and has always taken an active part in local politics. He was postmaster
at Gaines for two years; was elected sheriff of Tioga county in 1894, and was a
delegate to the State Convention in 1896. Mr. Champaign is a Knight Templar in
the Masonic order, and is one of the popular officials of Tioga county.

MiLFOED H. Stebbins was born at Sabinsville, Tioga county, September 3,
1860, and is the eldest child of Elijah H. Stebbins. He was reared and educated
in his native tovraiship, and later attended the Knoxville graded school, and Wood-
hull Academy, at WoodhuU, New York, where he passed a regent's examination.
When eighteen years of age he began assisting his father in the store and lumber
business, and at his father's death he took charge of the same. In December, 1883,
he bought his uncle's interest in the lumber business, and was made guardian for
the other heirs. He conducted the business under this arrangement until April,
1884, when the estate was divided, he and his brother George taking the mill
property, the store having burned in 1881. They conducted the business up to
1886, in which year he purchased his brother's interest and operated the mill until
its destruction by fire in 1893. In November, 1890, Mr. Stebbins was elected a
county commissioner, on the Eepublican ticket, and removed to Wellsboro in
January, 1891. He also served as auditor of Clymer township for ten years, assessor
one term, assistant assessor two terms, and census enumerator in 1890. Upon the
expiration of his term as county commissioner in January, 1894, he formed a
partnership with C. N. Butts, of Sabinsville, and has since been engaged in con-
tracting for stone and brick work, bridges, pile driving, etc. He is also proprietor
of the Wellsboro Cigar Factory, where he is engaged in the manufacture of cigars
for the trade, and is an active, energetic and enterprising business man. On January
19, 1879, he married Addie C. Newton, a daughter of Moses and Sally Newton, of
Sabinsville, and is the father of five children, as follows: Gordon E., Clayton M.,
Hugh W., Ha, deceased, and Arland E. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal
church. Mr. Stebbins is a member of Westfield Lodge, No. 477, E. & A. M.; West-
field Chapter, No. 265; Tyagaghton Commandery, No. 38, and Wellsboro Lodge, No.
374, K. of P.

Feancis Bbatjge, a wine merchant of Paris, France, came to the United States
in 1836, and located on a farm near Utica, New York. Three years later he re-
moved to Charleston township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he purchased
a farm and resided until his death in August, 1863. His wife, whose maiden name
was Marie Moucours, was also a native of France. Two children were born to
them: Hippolyte, since deceased, and Eugene, a resident of Wellsboro. Mrs.
Beauge survived her husband over thirty years, dying May 30, 1893.

Eugene Beauge was bom in Charleston tovmship, Tioga county, March 36,
1840, and is the only living child of Francis and Marie Beauge. He was reared on
the homestead farm, and attended the common schools of his district. In 1861 he
enlisted in Company G, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, was later promoted
to sergeant, and served with his regiment until the close of the war. He participated
in most of the battles and long marches for which the regiment was noted, and was
honorably discharged July 17, 1865. Eeturning to Tioga county, he soon after
entered Eastman Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York, where he graduated
in April, 1866. He then purchased a farm in Charleston township, and followed



BIOGKAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 713



farming up to 1884, -when he was appointed clerk in the commissioners' office.
Removing to Wellsboro, he purchased his present home the following year. He had
resigned the of&ce of county auditor to accept that of commissioners' clerk. After
retiring from the commissioners' office in 1884, Mr. Beauge resumed the manage-
ment of his farm in Charleston, though continuing to reside in Wellsboro. He
was again elected county auditor in 1890, and re-elected in 1893 and in 1896. He
also served as clerk of Charleston township for ten years, and has been one of the
active workers of the Eepublican party since the war. Mr. Beauge married Lucy
Culver, a daughter of Joel and Sarah Culver, of Charleston township, to which
union have been born three children, viz: Prank L., manager of the W. W. Brad-
bury Company's store, at Laudrus; Frederick E., book-keeper for the Union Tan-
ning Company, at Hoytville, and A. Naomi. The family attend the Methodist
Episcopal church. Mr. Beauge is a member of George Cook Post, Fo. 315, G.
A: R., and of Encampment No. 105, U. V. L., both of "Wellsboro.

Frank L. Beatjge, eldest son of Eugene and Lucy Beauge, was bom in Charles-
ton township, Tioga county, July 28, 1870, and obtained his education in the
schools of that township and Wellsboro. On Maxch 3, 1893, he married Eva
Wheeler, a daughter of B. P. Wheeler, of Marsh Creek, Tioga county. After serving
nearly two years as clerk in the general store of Hoyt Brothers, at Hoytville, he
accepted the position of manager of the W. W. Bradbury Company's store, at
Landrus, in August, 1893, which he still holds. As a business man, he has proven
himself thorough, capable and competent, and is popular with the patrons of the
store. In politics, Mr. Beauge is a Eepublican, and in religion, an adherent of the
Methodist Episcopal church. He is also a member of the P. 0. S. of A., of Hoyt-
ville.

Thomas T. Rees, a son of William T. and Margaret (Roberts) Rees, and grand-
son of Thomas Rees, was bom in South Wales, December 8, 1853. His parents
died when Thomas T. was quite young, leaving him and one brother, Evan, to the
care of strangers. The latter is now a land agent in South Wales. Two years after
his parents' death, Thomas T. was sent to the United States to his uncles, Robert,
Hugh, William and John Roberts, who had immigrated some thirty years before,
locating in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania. Soon after his arrival, his five uncles
enlisted in the Union army. Four of them were killed in the war, John alone
retuming. Our subject lived with the latter at Pittston, Luzerne county, up to
1868, and worked in a lumber yard. In 1870 he came to Morris Run, Tioga county,
and worked in the mines for eleven years, afterwards serving as a clerk in the post-
office at Morris Run two years. He was then appointed to the position of paster and
folder in the State printing office at Harrisburg, where he worked for two years, and
was then taken sick and returned to Morris Run, where he continued to reside,
though unable to do any work for the following three years. In 1888, after re-
covering from his serious illness, he was appointed ticket and express agent for the
Erie railroad at Morris Run. Resigning this position in January, 1893, he came to
Wellsboro to accept the office of deputy sheriff, which he filled during Sheriff
Irvin's term. On November 19, 1873, Mr. Rees married Anna Price, of Morris
Run, who has borne him six children, viz: Evan, William, Elmer, May, (the last
two died in infancy), Margaret ajid Horace Packer. In politics, Mr. Rees is a Re-



714 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

publican, and tlie family attend the Baptist church. He is a member of Ossea
Lodge, No. 317, P. & A. M., and Tioga Lodge, No. 304, K. of P.

Peank Watkins, chief clerk in the commissioners' office, was born in Athens
township, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, October 31, 1843, and is a son of John
and Mary (Green) Watkins. His paternal grandparents were from Connecticut,
where his grandfather, Maj. William Watkins, was bom in 1753. He was an officer
in the Continental army, and participated in the battle of Bunker Hill. He died
in Athens township, Bradford county, whither he had removed from Connecticut,
November 17, 1838, in his seventy-sixth year. Major Watkins' wife, Lois, was bom
in 1760, and died July 30, 1851, at the ripe old age of ninety-one years. They
were the parents of five children, John, the father of our subject, being the youngest.
He was bom in Connecticut, January 6, 1789, married Betsey Green, in Bradford
county, April 11, 1813, and reared a family of thirteen children, only five of whom
survive. The mother died July 7, 1839, in her forty-seventh year, and her husband
was again married, December 33, 1840, to Mrs. Mary Green, a native of Providence,
Ehode Island, bom July 30, 1797. One son. Prank, the subject of this sketch, was
bom to this union. The mother died November 36, 1863, in her sixty-seventh
year, and the father, March 33, 1869, in the eighty-first year of his age. Prank
was reared upon his father's farm, where he spent the first twenty-one years of his
life, sharing the common lot of a farmer's son. He obtained such education as he
could in the common school, supplemented by two or three terms at the Athens
Academy. In 1864 he completed a course of study at Eastman Business College,
Poughkeepsie, New York, and for the following year was book-keeper for Gardner
& Inslee, produce commission merchants, of New York City. He then learned the
paper maker's trade, which he worked at five years, principally in Waverly, New
York. On July 6, 1867, he married Miss Nettie Courtright, of Waverly, by whom
he has two sons, Willis P. and Albert J., and two daughters, Ina M. and Myrtie D.
In the year 1870 he removed to Wellsboro, Tioga county, where he has since resided.
His wife, Nettie, died November 3, 1884, in her thirty-fifth year. On October 27,
1885, he married Mrs. Anna C. English, to which union have been born two sons,
Prancis M. and Leon Erland. In 1883 he entered the office of the county commis-
sioners as assistant clerk, and by industry and strict attention to the affairs of the
office attained the chief clerkship, which position he is now filling. Mr. Watkins'
long period of continual service has proven him to be a faithful official, and an
invaluable assistant to the commissioners. He has been borough auditor for three
years, which office he has filled with satisfaction and credit to himself. He is a
member of the I. 0. 0. P. and the P. of H. In politics, a Eepublican, he has
always given his earnest support to the principles, measures and candidates of that
party.

Oeein Blaie was born on Eussell Mountain, Massachusetts, December 38,
1835, a son of Nathan and Sally (Tyrrell) Blair, natives of Massachusetts and New
York, respectively. They were the parents of thirteen children, Orrin being the
tenth in the family. The father was a physician, and died in 1849, aged seventy-two
years. His widow survived until 1866, and died at the home of her son Orrin, aged
seventy-eight years. In 1837 Orrin's brother, James, who was bom in Massachu-
setts in 1811, came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and bought a farm in Delmar



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 7I5

township. Soon after he contracted consumption, and in 1840 Orrin came on to
take care of him. After the death of James, Orrin purchased a farm, and lived
upon it up to his death in 1895. He received his early education in his native
State, and later attended the Wellsboro Academy. Though he worked a portion of
his time as a carpenter, he made farming his principal occupation. He owned 169
acres near the northwest comer of the borough, and made dairying a specialty.
On April 2, 1849, Mr. Blair married Louisa Hiltbold, a daughter of Jacob and
Abigail (Johnson) Hiltbold. She was born February 1, 1831, and is the mother of
five children, viz: Mary Ellen, wife of Alphonso Spencer; James 0., a farmer in
Delmar; Lewis M., residing on the old homestead; Sherman L., baggage master at
the Pall Brook station, and William E., principal of the Tioga graded schools.
Mrs. Blair is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church, in which faith Mr.
Blair lived and died. In politics, he was a Eepublican, filled the office of supervisor,
and was poormaster of Delmar township the year the poor house was erected. Mr.
Blair was one of the successful and prominent farmers of this section.

Chahles Aveht was bom in Eaton, Madison county, New York, in 1800, a
son of Constajit Avery. He was reared on a farm, and came to Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, in 1824, purchasing a farm of 160 acres in Chatham township, where he
was engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, Jaoiuary 14, 1875. He mar-
ried Sophia Cloos, a daughter of Newbury Cloos, a pioneer of Deerfield township,
Tioga county. Ten children were bom to this union, viz: Constant, of Chatham
township; Esther, wife of Matt Ashton, of Livingston county, New York; Cyrus W.,
of Wellsboro; William, deceased; Deruyter, of Chatham township; Miranda, wife of
Prank Churchill, of Middlebury; Leonidas, a resident of Ansonia; Albert, deceased;
Mary, wife of Jefferson West, of Middlebury, and John, who died in early youth.
Mrs. Avery died on January 14, 1875, one hour before her husband, quite a re-
markable coincidence, after a married life of nearly half a century. Politically, Mr.
Avery was a Democrat in early life, and later a Free Soiler. He served as collector
of Chatham township for ten years, and was one of the respected citizens of that
locality.

Ctktts W. Avekt, second son of Charles Avery, was bom in Chatham township,
Tioga county, February 10, 1833, attended the common schools in boyhood, and
worked on his father's farm until twenty-five years of age. For the succeeding
fifteen years he worked on his own farm in Chatham township in summer time and
in the lumber woods in winter. In 1883 he sold his farm in Chatham and bought
his present farm in the suburbs of Wellsboro, containing seventy-six acres, where
he has since followed agriculture. On February 16, 1859, Mr. Avery married Jane
Spencer, a daughter of Aurora and Catherine (Conklin) Spencer. Her father was
bom in 1808, and died July 14, 1862. Her mother was bom in 1810, and died
January 29, 1876. Mrs. Avery was born January 30, 1840, and is the mother of two
children, viz: Ida E., wife of Francis Andrews, of Wellsboro, and Jennie M., wife of
John Fisher, of Marsh Creek. Mr. Avery and wife are members of the Second
Advent church, and in politics, he is independent. He served as supervisor of
Chatham township one term.

Adam A. Kloce: was bom in Manheim, Herkimer county. New York, January
28, 1800, a son of Adam Klock, and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1835.



716 HISTOET 01 TIOGA COUNTY.

He purchased a farm in Charleston township, on which he resided up to his death,
December 13, 1875. He married !N"ancy, a daughter of John Hart, of Herkimer
county, E"ew York, who survived him until March 17, 1884, dying at the age of
seventy-nine years. They were the parents of ten children, as follows: Jesse, who
recently died in Oregon; Jeremiah, a retired farmer of Wellshoro; Irene, deceased wife
of Waldo May; Margaret, widow of Charles Brown; John A., who lives in Illinois;
Edwin, a resident of Covington, Tioga county; Henry H., who resides in Kansas;
Andrew, of Wellshoro; Hiram, who lives in Elmira, and Lizzie, wife of George D.
Brooks, of Charleston township.

Jbbemiah Kloce, retired farmer, was born in Herkimer county. New York,
May 5, 1824, and is the second son of Adam A. Klock. He was reared upon a farm,
and when twenty-two years of age purchased 113 acres of land in Charleston town-
ship, upon which he settled. He added to his first pm-ehase from time to time until
he owned 356 acres in the same township, and continued agricultural pursuits up
to 1873, when he was compelled to give up work on account of ill health. He
sold his lands in Charleston township, and in the spring of 1875 purchased his
present home in Wellshoro, where he has lived since the autumn of 1877. Mr.
Klock was married October 30, 1845, to Maria Abrams, daughter of Nelson Abrams.
She was born December 8, 1836, and is the mother of five children, viz: Nelson V.,
a resident of Elmira; Jennie D., wife of Eussell Ely, of Charleston township; Milan
L., of Wellshoro; Clara E., wife of Sterry E. Kimball, of Charleston township, and
Nancy E., deceased wife of William H. Smith, of the same township. Mr. Klock is
a member of the Presbyterian church, and his wife of the Christian church. In poli-
tics, a Eepublican, he served as auditor of Charleston township for six years.

Milan L. Klock, stock dealer, was bom in Charleston township, Tioga county,
March 14, 1852, a son of Jeremiah Klock. He was reared on the homestead farm,
and obtained a public school education. When twenty-one years old he commenced
working the home farm on his own account, and followed farming four years. He
then went to Antrim and carried on a meat market four years, and while there
bought a farm of 140 acres in Delmar township, four miles from Wells-
horo, which he has since cultivated. In December, 1883, he came to Wellshoro, where
he had previously purchased his present home, and engaged in the live stock bus-
iness, which he has followed ever since. He later took in as partner E. M. Johnson,
which business connection continued up to the spring of 1894, when Mr. Klock
withdrew and formed a partnership with J. C. Bradley, under the firm name of
Bradley & Klock, contractors in all kinds of stone work. Mr. Klock was married
September 18, 1877, to Harriet C. Peake, a daughter of Willis Peake, of Charleston
township, and has one son, Leon. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal
church, and Mr. Klock is a member of the K. of P. Politically, a Eepublican, he was a
member of the council from 1888 to 1891, was appointed assessor in February, 1888,
was elected to the same office in 1889, and re-elected in 1893 and 1895.

James L. Eobb, youngest child of John C. and Susan Eobb, was born in Farm-
ington township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, May 4, 1843. He was reared on the
homestead farm and was educated in the common schools and at Iron City Com-
mercial College, Pittsburg. On January 16, 1865, he enlisted in Company B, One
Hundred and Ninety-fotirth New York Volunteers, and served with the rank of



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 717



second lieutenant until mustered out the following June. After leaving the army
he went to Omaha, Nebraska, where he entered the employ of the Union Pacific
Eailroad Company, and for nearly a year had charge of the force engaged in painting
and finishing the stations from Omaha to North Platte, a distance of 600 miles.
Eetuming to Farmington township, he purchased the homestead from his father
and devoted his attention to farming, shipping hay, live-stock, etc., being for eight
years a member of the firm of Mather & Eobb. His partner was C. S. Mather, of
Elmira, New York, whose interest he purchased in 1893. Mr. Eobb resided on his
farm until October, 1895, when he purchased his present residence in Wellsboro.



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 95 of 163)