Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 96 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 96 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He is the owner of a fine farm in Farmington, embracing nearly 400 acres of land, and
is one of the largest shippers of hay, live-stock and farm produce in Tioga county,
owning seven store-houses on the line of the Fall Brook railroad. On January 3,
1870, Mr. Eobb married Helen S. Shelves, a daughter of Albert Shelves, of Job's
Corners, Tioga county. Three children have been born to this union, viz:
Levi S., Casner J., and Ada, the last of whom died in infancy. Politically, Mr.
Eobb is an ardent Eepublican. In religion, he is a member of the Pr^byterian
church. A man of commendable public spirit, sound business methods and per-
sistent industry, he can safely be classed as one of the successful business men of
his native county.

Ezra Potter, a native of Ehode Island, bom in 1800, came to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, in company with a party of settlers from his State, among them being
his older brother, Stephen Potter, in 1817, and later assisted in cutting a road
through the forest from the site of Westfield borough. to that of Potter Brook,
where the family purchased land and located in 1818. Ezra Potter married Eunice
Swede, and reared a fanaily of seven children by this marriage, viz: Stephen A., John
W., deceased; Almon A., a resident of Brookfield; Hiram E., of Wellsboro; Matilda
A., wife of George W. Peekham; Adeline, wife of Hiram W. Dartt, and Ezra H.,
a publisher of Nyack, New York. Mrs. Potter died in 1835, aged thirty-four years,
and he was again mamed to Eunice Stebbins, who bore him two children, viz:
Eunice, vrif e of King Towner, of Elmira, New York, and Nancy, wife of Noah Close,
of Westfield, Tioga county. Mr. Potter died in 1883.

Hiram E. Potter was bom in Chatham township, Tioga county, January 9,
1828, and is the fourth child of Ezra and Eunice (Swede) Potter. He was reared
on a farm, attended the district schools in boyhood, and when seventeen years of
age began working out as a farm hand. The next year he went to learn the car-
penter's trade, which business he followed ten years. He then purchased a farm of
320 acres in Deerfield township, upon which he lived seventeen years. Eemoving
to Middlebury township he resided there eight years, and in 1876 bought his present
home in Wellsboro, where he has since lived, though unable to work becau.se of
rheumatism. Mr. Potter was married May 28, 1856, to Angela D. Potter, who died
in May, 1884. In March, 1885, he married Mrs, Mary Westbrook, nee Butler. He
is a member of the Baptist church, and his wife of the Methodist Episcopal chiwch.
In polities, he is a Eepublican, and is also connected with the I. 0. 0. P. society.

Louis Brill, a native of Germany, came with his parents to the United States
about 1835, being then about five years old. He afterwards worked for a period in
Philadelphia, and came to Tioga county in 1848, locating on the site of the present



718 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

village of Morris, neax the mouth of Wilson creek. He followed lumbering there for
a few years and then removed to Brown township, Lycoming county. In 1864 he re-
turned to Tioga coimty and located on the land now occupied by the Brunswick
Tannery, at Hoytville. Here he remained until 1874, when he removed into Delmar
township, four miles south of Wellsboro. In 1878 he went to Kansas, remaining
until 1880, when he and his family returned to Tioga county and settled three miles
south of "Wellsboro, where he died July 22, 1881, aged fifty-two years. Mr. Brill was
married in June, 1854, to Elizabeth Harrison, a daughter of John Harrison, an
early settler of Lycoming county. Eight children were the fruits of this union, viz:
Sarah J., who died in infancy; Louis, who was drowned when eight years old; George,
Mary A., deceased; John P., Emma, deceased; Cora E., wife of John W. Lloyd, of
Wellsboro, and Catherine H., wife of J. W. Smith, of Galeton, Potter county. George
was born in Delmar township, Tioga county, February 21, 1859, and John P. in
Lycoming county, January 24, 1863, but were reared in Tioga county until 1878,
when they went to Kansas with their parents, whence the family returned to Tioga
county two years later. In 1884 the Brill brothers purchased their present farm of
100 acres in the northwestern part of Wellsboro, where they have since resided with
their mother. They rank among the reputable farmers of the county. In politics,
they are Eepublicans.

Lyman Colbs was born June 1, 1806, in Chenango county, Kew York, received
a common school education, and became a farmer and lumberman. He married
Electa Sellick, in Smithville, Chenango county. New York. She was a daughter
of Capt. James Sellick, a soldier of the War of 1812, the canteen carried by him
during that conflict being now the treasured possession of his grandson, W. E. Coles,
of Wellsboro. Mr. and Mrs. Coles were the parents of three children: James S.,
deceased; Mandeville S., a merchant of Stony Pork, and W. E., of Wellsboro. Mr.
Coles came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1864, whither he had been preceded
by his sons, then in business at Stony Pork. Here he located and lived retired, having
previously accumulated a competence by yeajs of active industry. He died December
25, 1886. His wife, who was born December 29, 1814, died November 2, 1885.

William Eiley Coles, youngest son of Lyman and Electa (Sellick) Coles, was
bom in Smithville, Chenango county. New York, November 11, 1841, where he
received a common school education. He came to Delmar township, Tioga county,
in 1862, but did not take up his residence here until the following year, when he
became a partner with his brothers in a store at Stony Pork. They continued
together until 1865, when the subject of this sketch took charge of the hotel at Stony
Pork, which he conducted until 1868. He then engaged in lumbering and in 1871
built a steam saw-mill, the first in that section, just below Stony Pork. This he
operated until August, 1872, when he came to Wellsboro and purchased the livery
stable on Pearl street, now owned by Samuel E. Smith. He was actively connected
with the stable for five years, and retained an interest in it until 1888. In 1877 he
became a partner with his brother. James S., in the management of the Coles House,
previously known as the Bunnell House, the firm being J. S. & W. E. Coles. Here he
remained until 1882, when he went to Tioga and took charge of the Park Hotel,
which he managed for nearly five years. In 1887 he went to Los Angeles, Cali-
fornia, where he remained for a short time. After keeping hotel for a year in Gilroy,



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 719



and spending about a year in San Francisco, in business, he returned to Tioga county
in 1890 and leased the hotel in Elldand, now known as the Sandbach House, which
he conducted until November, 1893. He then came to Wellsboro, and succeeded his
brother, James S., — who died two months later — as landlord of the Coles House, for-
merly known as the Parkhurst House. On August 1, 1896, Mr. Coles bought this
property of the estate of the late Charles L. Pattison, and has since spent considerable
money in repairing and improving it. Mr. Coles was married February 14, 1861,
to Lydia A. Knickerbocker, a daughter of Jared Knickerbocker, of Smithville. She
became the mother of two children, viz: Dora E., widow of William H. Eoberts, of
Wellsboro, and Flora D., wife of Mark Wetherbee, of Broeton, Chautauqua county.
New York. Mrs. Coles died October 5, 1876, aged thirty-seven years. On Sep-
tember 32, 1892, he marriedMiss Nellie Manning. In politics, Mr. Coles is a Eepubli-
can. He is a member of Ossea Lodge, No. 317, P. & A. M.; Tyagaghton Com-
mandery. No. 28, K. T., and Elkland Lodge, No. 800, 1. 0. 0. F.

Henet Smith was bom in Orange county. New York, January 18, 1834, and
died in Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, May 2, 1896. He was a son of
Samu:el B. and Hiley (Caskey) Smith, natives of New York state, where both died.
Henry was reared in his native county, there attended the common schools, and when
eighteen years of age became a member of the'firm of Masterson & Smith, and en-
gaged in the manufacture of wheelbarrows. At the end of eighteen months he en-
tered the employ of the New York, Lake Erie and Western railroad as an oil man,
but after six weeks was promoted to assistant conductor, which position he filled two
years. He was then made conductor of a freight train and worked as such up to 1865
when he was promoted to the conductorship of a passenger train, which he held con-
tinuously until 1886. In that year he went to Danville, Illinois, ran a railroad res-
taurant for eight months, and then located in Horseheads, New York, where he
operated a brickyard four years. On January 8, 1891, he came to Wellsboro, Tioga
county, and in partnership with a Mr. Austin purchased the livery stables of M. L.
Klock. The firm of Smith & Austin carried on the business up to April, 1893, when
Mr. Smith bought out his partner and conducted the business alone until the time
of his death. In 1862 he married Helen M. Everett, a daughter of Bennett Everett,
of Orange county. New York. She is the mother of two children, Alice E., wife of
W. D. Eeynolds, of Horseheads, New York, and Samuel E., who has had charge of the
livery stables since the death of his father. Mr. Smith was a member of the Order
of Eailway Conductors, and also of the Knights of Honor. Of a quiet, retiring dis-
position, he mixed very little in public affairs, devoting his whole attention to the
prosecution of his business. His life was one of steady, persistent industry, and
was marked by strict integrity and a high sense of business honor.

Fbank S. Dunkle, proprietor of the Wilcox House, was born in Hublersburg,
Centre county, Pennsylvania, September 3, 1855, a son of Michael and Julia (Camer)
Dunkle, natives of this State. His father was a blacksmith, and followed that trade
the greater portion of his life. Michael Dunkle's family consisted of eleven children,
seven of whom are living, viz: John, a hotel-keeper in Eidgway; Julia, widow of
John W. Bailey, of Wellsboro; William, a hotel clerk at Jersey Shore; Fremont, a res-
ident of Beech Creek; Prank S., of Wellsboro; Forest, a hotel-keeper of Jersey Shore,
and Annie, who resides at Beech Creek. Frank S. was reared and educated in his



720 HISTOBY OP TIOGA COtTNTY. ,

native town, and when seventeen years of age began clerking in a hotel at Jersey
Shore, which position he filled for five years. He then located at Beech Creek, and
later took a contract to build a portion of the Beech Creek railroad. He also served
as a constable while there. In the spring of 1884 he came to Wellsboro, Tioga
county, and conducted the pool and billiard room in the Coles House five years, and
then went to Jersey Shore, where he carried on the Junction House for fifteen
months, the Globe Hotel for one year, and the Hotel Dunkle eighteen months. On
November 1, 1892, he returned to Wellsboro to take charge of the Wilcox House,
which he has since conducted successfully. Mr. Dunkle was married in March, 1893,
to Miss Anna Jackson, a daughter of John Jackson, of Wellsboro, and has one son,
Donald Eoss. Mr. Dunkle is a member of the P. & A. M., the I. 0. 0. F., and the
Knights of the Golden Eagle.

DELMAE T0V7NSHIP.

Daniel Habvby Bacon was born in Farmington, Litchfield county, Con-
necticut, about the year 1764, and was a son of Daniel Bacon, a grandson of Daniel
Bacon, and a great-grandson of Daniel Bacon, Sr., who came from England to
America prior to the Revolution and settled in Middletown, Connecticut. Daniel
H. married Lydia Ellis, a native of Massachusetts, at Owego, New York, where he
located about the yeart 1796. Seven children were the fruits of this union, viz:
Chauncey, Oliver, Hannah, Nancy, Lewis, Chloe and Daniel. Mrs. Bacon died,
and he was again married, to Mary Zuber, who bore him five children, viz: Caleb,
John, Lucy, Hector and Homer. Mr. Bacon and family came to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, in 1815, and located on Marsh creek, then within the limits of
Delmar township. He remained there five years, and in 1830 purchased the farm
on which his grandson, Oliver, now lives. On this farm he spent the remaining
years of his life, dying in 1850.

Oliver Bacon, second son of Daniel Harvey and Lydia (Ellis) Bacon, was
born in Candor, Tioga county, New York, in 1801, and came with his parents to
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, when fourteen years of age, where he grew to manhood.
He married Catherine Houghton, a daughter of Simeon Houghton, and settled
on the farm in Delmar township purchased by his father in 1820. He reared the
following children: Chauncey and Eunice, both deceased; Simeon, a farmer of
Delmar; Eli, deceased; Ferris, a clerk in the railroad office at Newberry, Lycoming
county; Daniel, deceased; Lydia, wife of George F. Butler, of Delmar; Esther,
wife of James Vandergrift, of Delmar; Aseph, a resident of Missouri; Oliver, who
lives upon the old homestead in Delmar, and Seth, a resident of Wellsboro. Mr.
Bacon died upon his farm in Delmar, where the greater portion of his life was passed.
His widow lives with her son Oliver. She was born in Otsego county, New York,
August 36, 1805, and is one of the oldest residents in the township.

Simeon Bacon was born upon the Bacon farm, in Delmar township, Tioga
county, June 12, 1830, and is the oldest living child of Oliver and Catherine Bacon.
He obtained his education in the district schools of his native township, and with
the exception of two years that he was engaged in operating a grist-mill, erected
by himself in Delmar, he has devoted his whole attention to agricultural pursuits,
owning a fine farm of 235 acres six miles southwest of Wellsboro. In 1864 he




/<^



' yi^^yriAz^-^^



<Mc



CL<l^^^<L^



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 721



enlisted in Company K, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and
was honorably discharged from the service in June, 1865. On May 30, 1868, he
married Frances Skelton, born July 8, 1841, in Wilberforce, England, a daughter
of George and Elizabeth Skelton, and then located on his present farm, adjoining
the old homestead. They have one daughter, May, now the wife of F. 6. Nordstrom.
Mrs. Bacon and daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politi-
cally, Mr. Bacon is a Eepublican, has served nine years as a school director, one
year as auditor, and five years as justice of the peace. He is one of the substantial,
enterprising farmers of his native township.

OnTEE Bacon, Jk., son of Oliver and Catherine Bacon, was born November
14, 1845, upon his present homestead in Delmar township, Tioga county. He was
educated in the common schools, and has devoted his entire attention to farming
pursuits. September 6, 1869, he marled Elsie M. Bartle, a daughter of Andrew and
Maria Bartle. She bore him one son, Walter A., bom September 9, 1875, whc
married Addie Callahan. He is a farmer by occupation. Mrs. Bacon died Januarj
29, 1877, and he was again married February 14, 1883, to Jennie Bunnell, a daughter
of James and Euretta Bunnell, of Chenango county. New York. In politics, Mr.
Bacon is a Eepublican, and has served as a school director for three years and
assessor one year. He is the owner of a farm of 335 acres, 300 acres of which are
under cultivation. By the application of approved and scientific methods in its
cultivation, and the exercise of good judgment in its equipment, he has made it
one of the model and profit-paying farms of the county. Mr. Bacon is a thorough
business man, and attributes his success to a strict adherence to sound business
principles in the management of his farm. He gives his personal attention to every
detail, and as a result, every tilled acre is in the very best possible condition for
profitable production. In 1894 he purchased a property in Wellsboro, where he in-
tends spending the evening of a busy and successful life retired from the cares of
business.

William Ebeeektz immigrated from Germany to Pennsylvania in 1817, when
he was but sixteen years of age, and soon after located in Tioga county. Here he
married Mary Hoover, a daughter of Dr. Samuel Hoover, who lived near Wellsboro,
and immediately settled on a tract of timber land which he purchased from Morris,
paying $1.50 an acre for it in county orders, which he earned by clearing up the
public square in Wellsboro, then covered with timber and underbrush. The young
couple were very industrious and practiced the most rigid economy. They reared
a family of six children, viz: Mary, wife of Edwin Matson, Sr.; John, who was
drowned when twenty-one years old; Canelia, deceased wife of Elisha Brown;
Margaret, deceased wife of H. Guernsey; Charles, who died in 1883, and Caroline,
wife of James H. Smith. The wilderness condition of the country may be realized
by the reader of to-day when infomnied that Mrs. Eberenz used to say that she did
not see the face of a white woman for three years after moving into their cabin.
She made moccasins for her children out of deer skins, and the family knew only
bear and deer meat, while their couch at night was composed of the skins of wild
animals. No luxuries entered that humble cabin. Grain was scarce and flour
hard to obtain. At that time the county contained less than 500 taxable inhabi-
tants and Wellsboro had less than a dozen log houses. Mr. Eberenz was a sub-

46



722 HISTOHT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

stantial citizen and left to his son Charles one of the finest farms in Delmar. He
was remarkable for his pleasant disposition and social qualities, and the quaint
sayings and humorous anecdotes of "Uncle Billy Eberenz," as he was familiarly
called, are well remembered by the older residents of Wellsboro. He spent three
score years on the farm which he carved out of the forest with his own hands, and
died May 31, 1880, at the age of seventy-nine years. His wife died December 37,
1865, aged seventy years. They passed through the trials and vicissitudes of pioneer
life, and when they died an abundance of the good things of life surrounded their
home.

Charles Ebeeenz was born on the Eberenz farm in Delmar township, Tioga
county, youngest son of William Eberenz. He was reared upon the homestead,
attended the common schools of the district in boyhood, and followed agriculture all
his life. He married Sarah Brubaker, and reared three children, viz: Mary E.,
wife of John Brubaker; Julia, who died at the age of eighteen, and William B., of
Delmar. Mr. Eberenz and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church,
and both died in that faith. He was one of the active Democrats of his township,
and always took a deep interest in public affairs.

William B. Ebeeenz was born on the old homestead in Delmar township,
Tioga county, September 1, 1856, and is the youngest child of Charles Eberenz,
and grandson of William Eberenz, the pioneer. He attended the common schools
during his boyhood years, and has since devoted his attention to farming. He
has been twice married. His first wife was Carrie D. Bartle, and bore him one
daughter, Sarah, born October 37, 1883. Mrs. Eberenz died September 37, 1884,
and on December 15, 1886, he married Lettie Kizer, a daughter of William Kizer,
of Wellsboro, who has borne him two children, viz: Harold, born April 34, 1889,
and Florence lone, born November 8, 1895. The Eberenz farm, containing 380
acres, is one of the model farms of Delmar, and Mr. Eberenz carries on a dairy in con-
nection therewith. In polities, he is an ardent Democrat, and one of the respected
farmers of the township.

Zenas Pn5LD, a native of Massachusetts, born March 1, 1776, came from Ver-
mont to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1817, and purchased 154 acres of land in
Delmar township. Building his cabin in the midst of the primitive forest he went
bravely to work to make a home for himself and family. He was a stonemason and
worked at his trade in connection with his farm duties. He was married in Vermont
to Polly Pollett, who bore him a family of seven children, viz: Eliphas, Isaac P.,
Eoxeylana, Moses D., Nelson and Mary, all of whom are dead, and Lucinda, deceased
wife of Charles Billings, of Nebraska. Mr. Field and wife continued to live on the
homestead in Delmar until their death.

Isaac P. Field, son of Zenas Field, was born in A^'ermont, August 9, 1805, and
came with his parent* to Delmar township, Tioga countj^, when about twelve years
old. He assisted them in clearing and improving the old homestead, which became
his property at their death. He married Catherine McCarty, and reared three chil-
dren, viz: Daniel, of Delmar; Bispa, wife of Charles M. Dartt, of Kansas City,
Missouri, and Everett, who died at the age of eighteen. Mr. Field continued to
reside in Delmar up to his death, in 1878; his wife died in November, 1885.

Daniel Field, only living son of Isaac P. Field, and grandson of Zenas Field,



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 723



■was bom in Delmar township, May 1, 1824. He was reared on the homestead,
obtained his education in the common schools, and has followed farming and lum-
bering since eariy manhood. In 1857 he purchased from his father 150 acres of
land southwest of Wellsboro, upon which he has since resided, but has sold off
forty acres of the original tract. On July 14, 1853, he married Lovisa F. Webb,
to which union have been born eleven children, viz: AVilbur I., of Wellsboro; Otis,
who died at the age of twenty-three; Frank E., of Delmar; Ferdinand E., Orrin
D., and Ransford W., all residents of Wellsboro; Arthur G., of Delmar; Harry B.,
weighmaster for the Fall Brook Railroad Company at Corning, New York; Perley
W., who lives in Wellsboro; Minnie C, wife of Elwin Steele, of Delmar, and Vinnie
C, who lives at home. Mr. Field is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and also of tlie
Grange. In polities, a Republican, he has filled the offices of supervisor, justice of
the peace and collector.

Feedinand R. Field was bom in Delmar township, Tioga eoimty, J\me 5,
1859, a son of Daniel Field. He was educated in the common schools, and for sev-
eral years after arriving at manhood devoted his attention to farming in summer
and working in the woods in the winter season. He also operated a threshing ma-
chine for six years. In 1890 he and S. L. Herrington built the Wellsboro Roller
Mills, but in 1893 he sold his interest and engaged in mercantile business with W.
A. Hammond, continuing it eighteen months. He has since followed farming and
shipping, commenciQg the latter business several years ago. In July, 1896, his
brother, Ransford W., became his partner, and the firm has since been F. E. & R.
W. Field. On September 3, 1873, Mr. Field married Mary L. Mills, a daughter
of Samuel and Mary Mills, of Round Top, Charleston township, and has one daugh-
ter, Addie M. Politically, he is a Republican, and has filled the offices of assessor,
constable and collector of Delmar, holding the latter office from 1886 to 1890. In
religion he is a member of the Presbyterian church, and is connected with the I. 0.
0. F., both Lodge and Encampment, and also with the K. 0. T. M. and the P. of H.

Ransfoed W. Field was bom in Delmar township, Tioga county, June 33,
1861, and is a son of Daniel Field. He was reared on the home farm and obtained
his education in the common schools of Delmar, the High School of Wellsboro ajid
Williamsport Commercial College, from which he graduated in 1884. He taught
school and farmed until January 1, 1895, when he was appointed a deputy sheriff,
which position he filled until July 1, 1896, at which time he became a member of
the present firm of F. E. & R. W. Field, wholesale dealers in hay, grain and general
produce. Mr. Field was married April 36, 1887, to Jennie M. Roland, a daughter
of H. C. and Sarah Roland, of Delmar, and has one son. Fay. In politics, he is a
Republican, and is also a member of the I. 0. O. F. and the P. of H.

Moses D. Field was born in Vermont, March 18, 1810, a son of Zenas and
Polly Field, and was about seven years old when- his parents came to Tioga county.
He was reared on the homestead, and devoted his entire life to farming and lumber-
ing, a portion of the time on the home farm settled by his father. He married Amy
Walker, a daughter of Joseph and Loretta (Greene) Walker, November 9, 1834, and
to them were bom the following children: Delos and Ethan, both deceased; Darwin
S., of Delmar; Charles, who resides in the west; George, of Lawrence township;
Flora L., deceased; Henry, who lives in the west, and Herman, deceased. Amanda



>J24: HISTOET 01" TIOGA COUNTT.

M. Dewey was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Field when an infant, and is the wife of



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 96 of 163)