Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 98 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 98 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 73^



to 1839. He then removed to "Wellsboro, formed a partnership with C. & J. L. Eob-
inson, and continued his lumber operations with these gentlemen, and also conducted
a store in the borough. Six years later he sold his interest in the store and bought
a large farm in Delmar township, and subsequently severed his business connection
with the Eobinsons in the lumber business. He was at times associated with some
of the well-known himbermen of the county, and his operations were extensive and
lucrative. Mr. Willcox was married in early manhood, to Asenath White, of
Chenango county, New York, who bore him seven children, viz: Charles C, of
Delmar township; Simon, deceased; Edwin and Edward, twins, the former deceased
and the latter a resident of Delmar township; Galusha B., also a resident of Delmar,
and George and Caroline, both of whom are dead. Mr. and Mrs. "Willcox died in
Delmar township, the former in May, 1874.

Chahles C. Willcox, oldest child of Job Willcox, was born in Chenango
county, New York, December 15, 18:39, and was in his fourth year when his parents
settled on Pine creek, in Tioga county. When twenty-one years old he began Job-
bing in the lumber woods, which occupation he followed ten years. He afterwards
piirchased a farm on Middle Eidge, lived on it a few years, and then went to Lycom-
ing county, where he followed lumbering one year. Eetuming to Delmar, he began
merchandising at Stony Fork, and continued that business four years, at the end
of which period he purchased eighty-eight acres of his present farm and settled down
to farm life. He later added to his original purchase 150 acres, making in all 238
acres of well-improved land. He has since devoted his entire attention to agricul-
tural piirsuits, and is one of the substantial farmers of his township. Mr. Willcox
was maxi'ied October 36, 1852, to Tabitha Ann Webb, a daughter of Orson Webb,
of Delmar. She was bom October 17, 1832, and is the mother of eight children,
all of whom reside in Delmar township, viz: Addie, Cora L., Charles 0., E. Archi-
bald, Wellington W., Artelissa, Burton E. and Eoss G. The family are adherents
of the Baptist church, and all of the sons are members of the Patrons of Husbandry.
In politics, Mr. Willcox is a Eepublican.

Galusha B. Wilcox, son of Job Willcox, was bom in Wellsboro, Tioga
county. May 8, 1843, and was three years old when his parents located on the farm
he now owns. Here he grew to manhood, and has spent his entire life in agricultural
pursuits. His farm embraces 150 acres of well improved land, two miles north-
east of Stony Fork. In 1868 he married Ann Janett Kilbo'm, who bore him four
children, viz: Hiram E., a resident of Hoytville; Edith M., deceased; Asenath C,
and Leon, both at home. Mrs. Wilcox died December 21, 1878, aged twenty-nine
years. He was again married January 28, 1880, to Anna E. Brill, a daughter of
Peter Brill, who is the mother of four children, viz: Harry G., Blanche, Ealph,
deceased, and Yerne. In politics, Mr. Wilcox is a Eepublican.

Benjamin C. Wilcox, a son of Simon G. and Phoebe Willcox, was bom in
Preston, Chenango county, New York, January 3, 1823, and was fifteen years old
when his parents came to Tioga county. In December, 1839, he purchased a tim-
ber tract of 140 acres in Delmar township, and went to work to clear and improve
it. He erected buildings and lived on this property from 1843 to 1874. In the
latter year he sold it and bought a farm immediately west of Stony Fork, where he
resided up to 1891, and then retired from active life, making his home with his



732 HISTOKT OP TIOGA COUNTT.

son, George S., until his death, February 38, 1897. Mr. Wilcox was married Sep-
tember 1, 1844, to Xaney J. Butler, who bore him live children, viz: Harland,
Melvina and Simon, all of whom are dead; George S., of Delmar, and Nancy J.,
wife of Albert Van Vleit, of the same township. Mrs. Wilcox died August 6, 1879,
aged fifty-four years. In 1881 he married Mary Wall, who died five years later, and
on April 23, 1887, he married Mrs. Elizabeth Kockwell, a daughter of Benjamin
Borden, whose first husband, Simon Wilcox, was a brother of Benjamin C. Mr.
Wilcox was a member of the First Baptist church. In politics, he was a EepubU-
can, and held the office of township supervisor two terms.

Geoege S. Wilcox, only living son of Benjamin C. Wilcox, was bom in
Delmar township, Tioga county, June 7, 1853, was reared on the homestead farm,
and obtained a common school education. WTien eighteen years of age he began
working for himself in the lumber woods, and four years later purchased a timber
tract on Heise run, which he cleared up and built upon. After three years' residence
there, he sold the property and went to work for Silas X. Billings, at Leetonia, but
soon after entered the employ of the Leetonia Tanning Company, with whom he
remained until 1885. In that year he bought his present mill property, to which
he has since added by subsequent purchases, until he now owns 140 acres. He
cultivates his farm and also operates the mill whenever there is work to do in that
line. Mr. Wilcox was married April 19, 1874, to Ida M. Bowen, a daughter of
DeForest Bowen, of Delmar township, who has borne him two children, Addie E.,
and Georgie, the latter deceased. Mr. Wilcox and wife are members of the First
Baptist church, of Delmar, and also of the Patrons of Husbandry. He is connected
with the I. 0. 0. F., and the K. of G. E., and in politics, is an adherent of the Pro-
hibition party.

John D. Willcox was born in Preston, Chenango county, New York, Sep-
tember 4, 1835, where he resided with his parents, Simon G. and Phoebe Willcox,
until 1840, and was in his fifteenth year when he came to Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania, and went to work for Job Willcox & Co., of Wellsboro, with whom he re-
mained three years. He later purchased a farm adjoining his present one, buying
the latter in 1867. He has since followed farming, and has also operated a saw-mill
on his farm. On February 34, 1844, he married Orrilla Dimmick, who bore him the
following children: Mary L., wife of P. E. Sherman, of Michigan; Phoebe C, wife
of E. H. Halstead, of Delmar township; Maria A., who died in infancy; Elam B.,
who died at the age of thirty-three; Clarence A., Simon G., Orlando E. and Edwin
H., all residents of Delmar township, and Sanford D., of Harrison Valley, Potter
county. Mrs. Willcox died May 17, 1868, aged forty-two years. On May 13,
1869, he married Sarah M., a daughter of John Wilson, of Morris, Tioga county,
by which union he has three children, viz: Lillian M., wife of John Dortt, of
Shippen township; Sarah E., wife of A. H. Taylor, and William D. The family
are members of the Baptist church, and in politics, Mr. Willcox is a Eepubliean.
He has served as a school director for two terms, supervisor six years, and has been
postmaster of Olmsville, which is located at his home, since July 1, 1886.

Edwin Matson, Sk., lumberman and farmer, was born in Chenango county,
New York, January 31, 1815, a son of Zeba W. and Lydia (Merritt) Matson, natives
of Connecticut. He was reared and educated in his native county, and when



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 733



eighteen years of age came to Tioga county and entered the employ of Stowell &
Dickinson, who were engaged in the lumher business on Pine creek. Here he
remained thirteen years, and then went to Wrightsville, York county, Pennsylvania,
where he built and operated saw-mills for fifteen years. Eeturning to Delmar
township, Tioga county, he located on a farm which he had previously purchased.
After a few years he went to Northumberland county and again engaged in the
lumber business for seven years, and subsequently followed lumbering in Florida
for fourteen months. Going to Cleveland, Ohio, he completed an unfinished mill,
which he operated for one season, and then returned to his farm in Delmar. In
1881 he erected his present mill in Shippen township, which he has operated suc-
cessfully for the past fifteen years, under the firm name of B. Matson & Son. Mr.
Matson was married in 1837, to Mary Eberenz, a daughter of William Eberenz, of
Delmar, to which union were born seven children, viz: Aurelia, deceased; John
W., a resident of Cleveland, Ohio; William E., who served in a battery of New
York Heavy Artillery and died of wounds received in the battle of Petersburg;
Mary, wife of Charles Derbyshire, of Delmar; Charles, deceased; James H., de-
ceased, and Edwin, junior member of the firm of E. Matson & Son. Mr. Matson
is the owner of one of the largest farms in Delmar township, while his lumber
interests in Shippen are extensive and lucrative. He also conducts a store in con-
nection with his mill, which does an annual business of $12,000. Mr. Matson is
one of the leading Democrats of the township, and is the present postmaster of
Marsh Creek. The family are adherents of the Presbyterian church.

James H. Matson, a son of Edwin and Mary (Eberenz) Matson, was born
March 4, 1851, in Wrightsville, Pennsylvania. After acquiring a good English
education in the common schools of Delmar township, Tioga county, where his
parents still reside, he took a course in the law department of the Michigan
"University at Ann Arbor. He taught school for a time and then finished his legal
studies in the law office of Hon. Jerome B. Niles, Wellsboro, and was admitted to
the bar May 4, 1880. In 1884 he was elected district attorney and served one term.
On September 34, 1884, he purchased an interest in the Bepublican Advocate, of
Wellsboro, and on January 13, 1886, assumed editorial control, continuing in that
capacity until March 10, 1891, when he sold his interest to William L. Shearer,
the present proprietor. He then engaged in the insurance business in Wellsville
and Syracuse, 'New York, until the fall of 1894, when he was made state agent for
Connecticut of the Illinois Covenant Mutual Insurance Company, at New Haven,
which position he retained until his death, March 14, 1897. Mr. Matson was
married November 25, 1880, to Mary Seaman, of Nauvoo, to which union there
were born the following named children: Mildred Blanche, Anna Louise, LiUian
Elva, Edwin Augustus and Blma Amelia, both deceased, and James Henry. In
politics, Mr. Matson was an ardent Eepubliean. For a number of years previous to
his death he was a member of the official board of Grace Methodist Episcopal
church, New Haven, Connecticut.

Edwin Matson, Je., was born in Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, June 28, 1858,
a son of Edwin Matson, Sr., and came with his parents to Tioga county when about
one year old. He obtained a good common school education, and was reared prin-
cipally on his father's farm. In 1882 he engaged in the lumber business on Marsh



734 HISTOBT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

creek, with his father, under the firm name of E. Matson & Son, where they have
since carried on business. Their mill has a capacity of 30,000 feet per day, their
product being hardwood and hemlock, which they ship to the northern markets.
Mr. Matson was married ISTovember 1, 1875, to Hattie U. Eussell, a daughter of
Lucius L. and Ann Eliza (Morse) Eussell. They are the parents of seven children,
namely: Nina M., John E., Nora E., James H., Jessie E., Edwin and Morgan L. Nora
E. and James H. are dead. In religion, the family axe adherents of the Baptist church,
and in politics, Eepublican. Mr. Matson has filled the ofi&ce of director and treas-
urer of the school boards in Shippen and Delmar townships. He is a member of
the I. 0. 0. F., and is connected with both the lodge and encampment.

Joseph Botden, a native of Massachusetts, born in 1775, there grew to man-
hood, married Abigail Gilmore, and in 1848 came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
and located in Delmar township. He was the father of nine children, as follows:
Nancy, who married Enoch Cheney; Harriet, who married Charles Bond; San-
ford, Addison, Lemuel, Miranda, wife of Albert Boot, of Wellsboro; Eliza, wife
of Lemuel Colvin, and Maria, who married Lyman Whitmore. Addison, Mrs.
Eoot and Mrs. Colvin are the only survivors of this family. Mr. Boyden died in
Charleston township, January 5, 1854, and his wife, July 11, 1858, aged seventy-
seven years.

Addison Botden was born in Vermont, October 10, 1805, was reared on a
farm, and attended the common schools of his native place. When twenty-one
years old he began working in the lumber woods of Canada, which he continued
for eight years. In 1833 he came to Tioga county, and located in Delmar town-
ship, where he followed the lumber business. In 1842 he bought 100 acres of timber
land in Delmar, and after clearing a portion of it, sold it and purchased the present
Boyden farm of 112 acres, a short distance west of Wellsboro, upon which he has
lived up to the present. In 1831 he married Sophia Colvin, who bore him ten chil-
dren, viz: Cynthia D. and Abigail, both deceased; Sanford N., of Wellsboro;
Melvin, of Delmar; Alfred, of the same township; Mary M., wife of Luther Torpy,
of Delmar; Charles P., of Delmar; Eosina A., wife of William Derbyshire, of Del-
mar; Addison C, of Delmar, and Sophia S., wife of Loren Phippin, of Delmar.
Mrs. Boyden died April 3, 1873, aged fifty-nine years. Mr. Boyden lives with his
son Alfred on the homestead farm.

Meltin Boyden was bom in Shippen township, Tioga county, July 19, 1841,
a son of Addison Boyden. He was reared on the homestead farm, obtained a com-
mon school education, and worked at home until he was twenty-five years old,
when he purchased his present farm in Delmar, and with the exception of three
years spent on a rented farm, he has devoted his whole attention to clearing and
improving his property. He was married December 6, 1862, to Sarah M. Pellows,
d daughter of Asahel Fellows, of Delmar township, and has two children, Charles
M., who owns and operates a fruit evaporator on the farm, and Ella S., wife of
Charles Spencer, of Delmar. Mrs. Boyden is a member of the Baptist church.
Politically, Mr. Boyden is a Eepublican, and has served as a school director six
years. He is deputy constable for the north district of Delmar township.

Alehed Boyden, son of Addison Boyden, was bom in Delmar township,
Tioga county, March 10, 1844, was reared on the farm, and attended the district



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 735



schools of his neighborhood. Jn 1862, when but seventeen years old, he enlisted
in Company A, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and par-
ticipated in the following battles: Pollock's Mills, Chaneellorsville, Gettysburg,
Funkstown, Haymarket, Wilderness, Laurel Hill, Spottsylvania, North Anna Kiver,
Cold Harbor, Pamunkey Eiver, Petersburg, Weldon Eailroad and Hatcher's Eun.
He was promoted to corporal November 3G, 1863, and was honorably discharged
from the service at Harrisburg, June 39, 1865. Mr. Boyden returned to his home
in Delmar township, and worked in the lumber woods for about ten years. For
the following three years he cultivated rented farms, and then took charge of his
father's farm, upon which he has since lived. He was married May 7, 1874, to
Mary E. Loudon, a daughter of James Loudon, of Delmar, and has two children.
Belle C. and Dana A. The family are connected with the Baptist church, of "Wells-
boro. Politically, Mr. Boyden is a stanch Eepublican, and a member of the G.
A. E. and P. of H.

Chaelbs F. Boyden was born in Delmar township, Tioga county, January 30,
1849, a son of Addison Boyden. He was reaxed on the farm, attended the common
schools, and worked at home until he was twenty-four years of age, when he went
to northern Wisconsin and operated a farm on shares for a year and a half. For
the following six months he drove team for a milling company, and then returned to
his home in Delmar, where he cultivated the old homestead for one year. At the
end of this period he purchased his present farm in Delmar township, and has since
devoted his attention to its cultivation. On June 23, 1873, he married Lydia
Matson, of Wisconsin, who has borne him the following children: Elida E., wife
of Ferdinand Nobles, of Delmar; Edith D., Edwin A., Flynn 0., Sarah E., and
Mary E., the last mentioned having died February 37, 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Boyden
are members of the Baptist church, and in politics, he is a Eepublican.

Addison C. Boyden, youngest son of Addison Boyden, was born in Delmar
township, Tioga county, July 30, 1853, attended the district schools and also the
Wellsboro Academy. He worked at home until twenty-six years old, and then
purchased his present farm in Delmar, which he has since cleared and improved.
On June 9, 1879, he married Amanda Matson, a daughter of Horton Matson, of
Delmar township, who has borne him two children, Bertha E. and Horace A. They
have also an adopted daughter. Mr. Boyden and wife are members of the Baptist
church, and in politics, he is a stanch Eepublican.

Alanson J. Wilson, a native of Massachusetts, and a son of Solomon Wilson,
came to Tioga county in the spring of 1839 and purchased a farm of eighty-six acres
in Delmar township. He was a shoemaker and also a blacksmith, and after locating
in Delmar township did considerable work in those lines, being one of the most
useful citizens in the community. Though a man of limited education, he pos-
sessed natural ability as a manager and accumulated a -competence. Mr. Wilson
married Julia Bradley, of Massachusetts, and reared a family of five sons, as fol-
lows: James A., who died at the age of twenty-two; Henry B., Milon D., Ira C.
and Baxter H., all residents of Delmar township. Mr. Wilson died in 1876, and his

wife ten years before.

Milon D. Wilson was born in Steuben county. New York, March 21, 1831,
and is the third son of Alanson J. Wilson. He was reared on a farm, attended the



736 HISTOBY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

common schools, and when thirteen years old went to Wellsboro, Tioga county,
-Pennsylvania, and engaged with William S. Taylor to learn the tanner's trade, at
which he spent three years. He then returned home and worked in the woods and
as a farm hand for about nine years. At the end of this time he purchased the
farm upon which he now resides, and where he has since lived. On October 15,
1861, he enlisted in Company I, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served
with his regiment up to December, 18.63, when he was honorably discharged. Mr.
Wilson was married December 1, 1856, to Mary Monroe, a daughter of Gamer
Monroe, of Delmar township, who bore him six children, viz: Daniel G., a resident
of Potter county; Alanson W., who died in infancy; Eosanna M., wife of Tully
Monroe, of Potter county; Mary E., wife of Frank Luddington, of Delmar; Caroline
A., wife of Charles Loucks, of Potter county, and Lillian L., who died in infancy.
Mrs. Wilson died September 11, 1891, aged fifty-nine years. February 21, 1894,
Mr. Wilson married Philura Plumley, of Delmar township. He is a member of the
Baptist church, while his wife is a Methodist. In polities, he is a Eepublican.

Iea C. Wilson was bom in Harrington, Massachusetts, August 18, 1833, and
was in his sixth year when his parents came to Delmar township, Tioga county. He
was reared upon the homestead farm, attended the district school of his neighbor-
hood, and when fourteen years of age commenced working in the lumber woods as
a teamster; which he followed four years. Eeturning home he worked on the
farm until his majority, and then purchased eighty acres of land from William
Bache, located in Delmar township. At the end of six years, after clearing a part
of it, he sold this property and purchased the old homestead, upon which he lived
until he purchased his present farm of 130 acres, leasing the first to his son, Charles
L. He also owns two other farms of 100 acres each in Delmar, and is one of tlie most
prosperous farmers in the county. He married Mary Jane Nobles, a daughter of
Loron Nobles, to which union have been bom nine children, viz: Mary Louisa, de-
ceased wife of George Smith; Emma, wife of Daniel Bennett, of Shippen town-
ship; Lyman M., who died in infancy; Charles L., and Frank H., both residents of
Delmar; Ella, wife of Charles A. Buckley, of Delmar; Frederick J., and Minnie,
both of whom died in early youth, and Ira W., who lives with his parents. The
family are connected with the Baptist church, and in politics, Mr. Wilson is a
Democrat.

EoBEET Steele, Se., was bom in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, about 1766, there grew
to maturity and married Esther Eowe. He served a short time in the Eevolutionary
War, later studied medicine, but never practiced the profession. About 1805 he
came to Tioga county and located on the site of Ansonia, then known as Big
Meadows. He reared a family of nine children, viz: John, James, Matilda,
Ephraim, Henry, Elizabeth, Eobert, Polly and William. Mr. Steele died at the
home of his son Eobert in Delmar township in 1836.

EoBEET Steele was born on the site of Ansonia, Tioga county, October 13,
1810, a son of Eobert Steele, Sr. He was reared on a farm and attended tiie pioneer
schools of his neighborhood. In 1834 he located in Delmar township, purchasing
the farm where his son Miles now lives. His wife, Mary Ann, was a daughter of
William Blaekwell, an early settler of Morris township. She bore him ten children,
named as follows: Eiehard, who died in infancy; Louisa, wife of William Wal-





^^ ^,::P^-^^^^



BI06EAPHICAL SKETCHES. 737



bridge, of Delmar; John, who died on his farm in Delmar, March 14, 1896; Sarah,
wife of Peter Walbridge, of Wellsboro; "William, who was wounded in the battle
of Petersburg, and died June 27, 1864; Miles, Charies and Eobert, all residents of
Delmar; Mary A., wife of Willis L. English, of Morris, and Otis, who lives in Wells-
boro. Mr. Steele died on the old homestead in Delmar, November 37, 1884. His
widow lives with her son Miles in that township.

John Steele, son of Eobert and Mary Ann Steele, and grandson of Eobert
Steele, Sr., was born in Delmar township, Tioga county, March 3, 1841, and lived
with his parents until he was twenty-six years old. His father then deeded him a
farm of 108 acres, two miles south of Wellsboro, where he resided until his death,
March 14, 1896. Mr. Steele was married September 18, 1866, to Alice Copestick,
a daughter of Charles Copestick, of Delmar. Six children were born to this union,
viz: Eaymond, a resident of Charleston township; Mabel, wife of Horatio Eeed, of
Delmar; Isabel, Eobert, Claude, deceased, and Carrie. When Lee invaded Penn-
sylvania, Mr. Steele went out with the Emergency Men to assist in defending his
native State, thus proving his patriotism. In politics, he was a Eepublican, and
served as clerk and treasurer of Delmar from 1882 to 1892. He belonged to the
Grange and was a liberal supporter of the public schools. Mr. Steele was a kind
father and husband, a good neighbor and a respected citizen.

William Eobeetson, Se., was bom in Scotland, there grew to manhood, and
became a stationary engineer and miner. In 1830 he came to the United States,
and worked in the Baldwin Locomotive Works five years. In 1835 he came to
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, remained a short time in Wellsboro, and then pur-
chased a farm in Delmar township, on which he resided up to his death. He mar-
ried Agnes Archibald, who bore him twelve children, four of whom are living and
residents of Delmar township, viz: Frasier, wife of Thomas Clark; Thomas A.,
William, and Jane, wife of James Dale. Mrs. Eobertson died October 14, 1886, at
the ripe old age of ninety-two years.

Thomas A. Eobehtson, eldest son of William and Agnes Eobertson, was born
in Scotland, March 17, 18S4, and came to the United States with his parents when
six years old. He attended the public schools of Philadelphia and Tioga county
in boyhood, and worked on the home farm until he was twenty-three years old.
He then cultivated a rented farm for two years, at the end of which time he bought
eighty-two acres on East Hill, Delmar township, a property he still owns, and
lived there from 1850 to 1891. He then removed to his present farm,, a portion
of the old homestead. Mr. Eobertson was married March 8, 1849, to Mary A.
Moyer, a daughter of Jonathan Moyer. Four children were bom to this imion, viz:
Margaret, who died at the age of twenty-six; George A., of Delmar; Adaline, wife
of Eobert A. Kerr, of Morris, and Isabel, wife of Eev. E. D. Eawson, of Allegany,
New York. Mr. Eobertson and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church. In polities, he is a Eepublican, and is also a member of the Patrons of
Husbandry.

Geohge a. Eobeetson, only son of Thomas A. and Mary A. Eobertson, was



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 98 of 163)