Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 99 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 99 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


bom in Delmar township, Tioga county, was reared on the homestead farm, and
attended the district schools in boyhood. When twenty years of age he began
working in the lumber woods, but soon returned to farm work. He later spent

47



738 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNIY.

three years in the Hoytville tannery, then bought a farm in Delmar, near the
Shippen line, which he sold two years later and purchased his present farm of
fifty acres, east of Stony Fork. Mr. Eobertson was married June 17, 1876, to Agnes
Dort, a daughter of Eussell Dort, an early settler of Delmar township, and has three
children, Edith, Leon A., and Pearly A. Mr. Eobertson, wife and oldest daughter
are members of the P. of H., and in polities, he is a stanch Eepublican.

William Eobeetson, youngest son of William Eobertson, Sr., was born on the
homestead farm in Delmar township, Tioga county, November 8, 1837. He at-
tended the common schools of his district and worked at home until he was twenty-
one years of age. He then began working out as a farm hand, but two years later
rented a farm and continued to cultivate rented farms up to 1876, when he bought
a homestead in Delmar township, which he sold six years afterwards and purchased
his present property of fifty acres adjoining the old homestead farm, in which he
owns a quarter interest. Mr. Eobertson was married September 35, 1859, to Lydia
A. Smedley, a daughter of William and Ellen (Shuart) Smedley, bom September
6, 1838. They have one daughter, Mazie, bom April 8, 1882. In politics, Mr.
Eobertson is an ardent Eepublican.

Aaeon Stmonds was bom in Connecticut, June 30, 1793, a son of John Sy-
monds. In early life he learned the blacksmith's trade, particularly the manufac-
ture of scythes, and followed that business until failing health compelled him to
abandon it, when he turned his attention to farming. In 1836 he came to Tioga
county and operated a saw-mill at Eound Island, now Tiadaghton. He afterwards
bought fifty acres of land on Middle Eidge, in Delmar township, where he followed
farming until his death, August 5, 1843. Mr. Symonds married Phoebe Willcox,
oldest child of Simon G. Willcox, ISTovember 5, 1818. She was a native of Chenango
county, New York, and became the mother of nine children, viz: leather, who died
at the age of twenty-three; David B., a farmer of Potter county; Job W., of Delmar
township; Hannah A., who died in 1888; Sarah A., deceased, wife of Darius B.
Ford; Clarissa, who died in 1886; Caroline, and Emeline, twins, the former of
whom died in girlhood, and the latter in 1886, and Betsey A., who died in April,
1863. Mrs. Symonds died in May, 1860, aged fifty-eight years.

Job W. Symonds, retired farmer and blacksmith, was bom in Chenango county.
New York, October 30, 1835, and was eleven years old when his parents settled in
Tioga county. On attaining his majority he began work in the lumber woods,
devoting his summers to farming, which he continued five years. He then bought a
farm of fifty acres on Middle Eidge, Delmar township, originally owned by his
father, erected a blacksmith shop, and followed farming and blacksmithing. He
did work for his neighbors, having picked up sufficient of the trade to be a fair
workman. In 1856 he sold this property and bought his present farm of 100 acres,
a short distance north of Draper. Here he followed blacksmithing and farming up
to 1886, when he retired. Mr. Symonds married Cynthia Borden, a daughter of
Benjamin B. Borden, of Delmar township, January 3, 1844. She was bom April
10, 1838, and became the mother of ten children, viz: Phoebe J., widow of A. S.
Torpy; George, an oil operator in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania; Mary E., who
died in infancy; Betsey E., wife of Asher A. Hines, of Minnesota; Mary A., wife
of Charles Orr, of Delmar township; Fidah M., wife of Albert Torpy; Myra B.,



BIOGKAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 739



wife of Edwin Allen; Hurbin, who married Ida Compton, February 14, 1887;
Katie, wife of Ira Eice, and Benjamin, the last five of whom axe residents of Delmar
township. In politics, Mr. Symonds is a Republican. He has been superyisor one
year, and a justice of the peace fifteen years, in Delmar township.

Thomas Hobton was bom in Orange county. New York, in 1781, and came
to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1837. He purchased the farm in Delmar town-
ship on which his son Thomas C. now lives. He married Anna Cully, who bore
him a family of nine children, viz: Elizabeth, who married John Kimball; Hiram,
and Hannah, who married Daniel Slosson, all of whom are dead; Susan, wife of
Jeremiah Houghton, of Delmar; Thomas C, a farmer of the same township; Ezra,
deceased; Hector, of Delmar; Sarah A., wife of P. G. Walker, of Stony Pork, and
Samantha, wife of Edward Hastings, of Wellsboro. Thomas C. was bom in
Tompkins county. New York, September 1, 1820, came to this county with his
parents, and married Marietta Stanton, who bore him six children, viz: Newell P.,
and Mary J., both deceased; Ezra, a farmer on Marsh creek; John and Nathan, both
deceased, and Myron, a resident of Virginia. Mr. Horton and wife spent the re-
maining years of their lives in this county.

Hector Hoeton, youngest son of Thomas Horton, was born in Schuyler
county, then a part of Tompkins county. New York, December 27, 1823, and was
in his fifteenth year when his parents settled in Delmar township. He worked at
home until twenty-three years of age, and then bought his present farm of 100 acres
from his father, on which he has since lived, devoting his attention to general farm-
ing and dairying. October 9, 1850, he married Permelia A. Emick, a daughter of
William Emick, of Morris township. They are the parents of seven children, viz:
Charles A., and Prank, both residing in the oil fields of Pennsylvania and Ohio,
respectively; Maria, wife of Andrew English, of New Mexico; George, and Pred J.,
residents of Wood county, Ohio; Mary, and Hubert, both at home. The family
are adherents of the Baptist church, and politically, Mr. Horton is a Eepublican.
He is also a member of the Patrons of Husbandry.

David Goeeib was bom near Wilmington, Delaware, March 28, 1820, a son of
John and Agnes (Ower) Gorrie, natives of Scotland. David is the youngest and
only survivor in a family of ten children. He was reared in his native place and
in the City of Philadelphia up to the age of seventeen, and obtained a common school
education. In the fall of 1837 he, with his mother and invalid brother, came to
Tioga county, Pennsylvajiia, where he bought a farm of about 120 acres, in Delmar
township, and devoted his entire attention to agricultiiral pursuits. In 1882 he
built upon the farm of 125 acres, where he now resides, disposing of the old home-
stead to his son Clarence. Mr. Gorrie was married in 1851 to Cerissa Griffin, of
Delmar township, and has reared four children, viz: Clarence, who lives upon the
old homestead; Norval, a farmer residing in Idaho; David, a farmer in the same
State, and Lillie M., at home. In politics, Mr. Gorrie is a stanch Democrat. He
is one of the prominent and respected farmers of Delmar township, and by his own
exertion and energy has aceumtilated through the passing years a handsome com-
petence.

Ltman Walbeidge was born near Springfield, Massachusetts, Pebruary 6,
1786, a son of Joshua Walbridge, a Eevolutionary soldier, born in 1758. He was



740 HISTOET OP TIOGA COUNTY.

reared on a farm, received a good education, and taught school for some years in his
native State. In 1837 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased the
farm in Delmar township now owTied by his son William, where he resided until his
death, August 17, 18C3. He married Ann D. Smith, a daughter of Eev. William
K. Smith. She was born in 1795, and bore him six children, viz: William, a resi-
dent of Delmar, bom September 16, 1821, who married Louisa, a daughter of Eobert
Steele, and has two sons, Bion and Arthur; Elizabeth, a resident of Europe; Joshua,
a judge of the common pleas court in Goldboro, Colorado; John W., aji oil operator
of Venango county; Eobert S., of Delmar, and Peter D., who lives in Wellsboro.
Mrs. Walbridge died April 10, 1880, aged eighty-four years.

EoBEBT S. Walbeidge was bom in New Jersey, October 5, 1831, and was about
six years old when his parents located in Delmar township, Tioga county. He was
reared upon the farm, and when twenty years of age began working out as a farm
hand, which he followed for ten years. He then bought his present farm of 100
acres, lying west of Stony Fork, where he has since devoted his attention to agri-
culture. On December 11, 1862, Mr. Walbridge married Mary Copestick, a daughter
of Charles Copestick, of Delmar, and has three children, viz: Alfred C, an electrical
engineer of Washington state; Bertha E., wife of C. E. Olmstead, of Delmar, and
George B., a student at Lafayette College. Mrs. Walbridge died January 31, 1889,
aged fortv-seven years. In politics, a Democrat, he has served as township clerk
and treasurer for several years. He is a member of the P. of H., and also of the
K. of G. E.

William Teowbeidge Deebyshiee was bom in Denmark, New York, Decem-
ber 28, 1809, a son of William and Laura (Trowbridge) Derbyshire. He was the
second in a family of seven children, and is to-day the only surviving member of
the family. , He received a common school education, and when sixteen years of
age went to Utica, Few York, and spent three years learning the harness maker's
trade, which business he followed about ten years in that State. In the autumn of
1837 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and located in Wellsboro, where he
worked at his trade three years. He then purchased the Derbyshire farm in Del-
mar township, and for the succeeding twenty-five years devoted his attention to
clearing and improving his land, and working at his trade in Wellsboro. At the end
of this period he gave up working at his trade, and devoted his whole attention to
the farm. Mr. Derbyshire was married in January, 1835, to Mary Granger, a
daughter of Levi Granger, of Otsego county. New- York, to which union were bom
ten children, named as follows: William, who died at three years of age; Mary,
Caroline, Elizabeth, George E., who died in a rebel prison in Sbuth Carolina during
the war; Charles, and William, both residents of Delmar; Prank, deceased; Laura,
wife of Charles Smith, and Marian, wife of John Eussell, both residents of Delmar
township. Mrs. Derbyshire died in August, 1891, aged seventy-nine years. Mr.
Derbyshire is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church, and in politics, a Ee-
publican. He is one of the oldest citizens of Delmar township.

Chaeles Deebyshiee, son of William T. Derbyshire, was bom in Delmar
township, Tioga county. May 30, 1846, was educated" in the district schools, and
has made farming his life vocation. His farm is located four miles northwest oE
Wellsboro. He married Mary Matson, a daughter of Edwin Matson, Sr., of Delmar,



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 741



December 31^ 1868, who has borne him five children, viz: Mary E., wife of John
Hasker, of Delmar; William E., who married Lizzie Covert, of Wellsboro; Eobert
C, Charles P., and Marion C. The family are connected with the Baptist church.
Mr. Derbyshire is a Eepublican, in politics, and is one of the school directors of his
district.

William Deebyshiee, son of William T. Derbyshire, was bom in Delmar
township, Tioga county, September 6, 1848, and has spent his entire life upon the
homestead farm. On January 30, 1875, he married Rosina A. Boyden, a daughter
of Addison Boyden, of Delmar. Five children have been born to this marriage, four
of whom are living, viz: Carrie E., Mary 0., William T. and George E. The family
are members of the Protestant Episcopal church, and in politics, he is an adherent
of the Republican party.

HiEAM L. RoBLTEE was bom neai- Horseheads, Chemung county, Few York,
March 14, 1825, a son of Hiram and Rhoda (Sanford) Roblyer. His parents were
natives of Orange county, New York, whence they removed to Chemung county, and
in 1837 located in Rutland township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where they died,
the father May 6, 1857, aged eighty-two, and the mother, November 37, 1859, aged
seventy-eight. Their children were as follows: Austin, Diadama, Andrew J., David
S. and Ira, all of whom are dead; Dorcas M., widow of A. B. Tanner; Hannah J.,
deceased; Sally Ann, widow of Northrop Smith, of Sullivan township, and Hiram
L. The subject of this sketch came to Tioga county with his parents when twelve
years old, and was reared to manhood in Riitland township. He afterwards worked
as a farm hand for several years. In 1851 he embarked in merchandising at Elk
Run in partnership with Northrop Smith, but in 1857 he sold his interest to Mr.
Smith and bought his present farm of 104 acres, on which he has since lived. Mr.
Roblyer was married October 3, 1855, to Almira Wood, a daughter of Solomon and
Lydia Wood, of Sullivan township, where her parents settled in 1831. Three chil-
dren have been born to this union, viz: Herbert, a resident of Delmar; Levi, who
lives in Sullivan, and Harvey, who died November 18, 1877. In politics, Mr. Roblyer
is a Republican, and has served as auditor and treasurer of his township. Both he and
wife are members of East Sullivan Grange.

Heebeet Robltes was bom in Sullivan township, Tioga county, July 16, 1856,
eldest son of Hiram L. Roblyer. He was educated in the common schools, at the
Mansfield State Normal, and Warner Business College, Elmira, New York. When
twenty-one years of age he began teaching in winter, which he followed for seven
years, working on the farm during the summer season. In the fall of 1881 he pur-
chased his present farm of 100 acres in Delmar township, one mile north of Balsam,
on which he has since resided. Mr. Roblyer was married to Lina M. Wilbur, a
daughter of Nelson and Melissa Wilbur, of Wayne county, Pennsylvania, October 3,
1880, and has three children: Lulu May, Carrie Estella and Harvey Lewis. The
family attend the Episcopal church. Mr. Roblyer is secretary of Pomona Grange,
and also a director and secretary of the Tioga Coimty Grange Mutual Insurance
Company. He is a stanch Republican, has filled the office of school director in
Delmar, and is recognized as one of the leading citizens of the township.

Pbtee Buckley, a son of John and Hannah (Decker) Buckley, was bom in
Oxford, Chenango county. New York, November 33, 1809, and there grew to



742 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COTTlirTT.



manhood. In 1839 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased the
present Buckley farm in Delmar township. He was a carpenter and millwright, and
for many years devoted a portion of his time to the construction of mills. On
November 26, 1837, he married Euth A. Bartle, a daughter of Charles Bartle, and
had one son, John H., when the family moved to this county. The following
children were bom after their settlement here: Byron C, who died in February,
1868, aged twenty-six years; Hulda A., who died aged two years; Charles A., of
Delmar township; Jerusha A., wife of Charles Copestick, of Delmar; Uriah, tele-
graph operator and station agent at Minoa Station, New York, and two that died in
infancy. Mr. Buckley died November 8, 1856, from an injury received while work-
ing on a saw-mill. His widow resides with her son, John H., in Delmar. In earlj
life a Democrat, he later became a Eepublican, and was quite active in political



John H. Bttcklet was bom in Oxford, New York, June 16, 1839, eldest child
of Peter Buckley, who came to Tioga county five months after our subject's birth.
He was reared upon his present homestead fann, and received a good education in
the common and select schools of Delmar township, and at Oxford Academy. He
worked at home until the death of his father, since which time he has had charge of
the farm, with the exception of the period when he was serving in the Union army.
On September 31, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Vol-
unteers, and participated in the battles of James Island, Blue Springs, Campbell
Station, Siege of Knoxville, Siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Jamestown and the Wil-
derness, where he was wounded. He was promoted to corporal in 1863, and was
discharged at McClellan Hospital, Philadelphia, on account of a gunshot wound
in the left hip. May 8, 1865. With the exception of the four years spent in the
service, Mr. Buckley taught school nineteen consecutive terms, principally in his
native township. He was married March 29, 1870, to Isabel, a daughter of Charles
and Isabel Copestick, of Delmar. Three children have been born to them, viz:
Euth, a student at the State Normal School, Mansfield; Charles, a graduate of that
institution, and now a teacher in the Philadelphia public schools, and Florence.
Politically, Mr. Buckley is a Eepublican, and has filled the office of auditor three
terms, and that of clerk and treasurer five terms. The family attend the Presby-
terian church, and Mr. Buckley is one of the most intelligent farmers in Tioga county.

Almon Bbooks, a native of New York state, was one of the early settlers of
Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He purchased a farm in Delmar township, cleared and
improved it, and passed the remaining years of his life in making a home for himself
and family. He married Lena Miller, who bore him the following children: Anne
M., wife of D. E. Null, of WiUiamsport; Frank W., of Delmar; Charles M., a resident
of Williamsport; Emma E., wife of Z. 0. Campbell, of Wellsboro; John W., a resident
of Manhattan, Tioga county; Henry D., of Delmar, and Ada M., deceased wife of
Elmer E. Striker.

Feank W. Bhooks was born in Delmar township, Tioga county, Febmary 36,
1850, and is the eldest son of Almon and Lena Brooks. He worked at home until
he was sixteen years of age, when he went to Williamsport, where he lived several
years, during which period he worked in a saw-mill. He then purchased a farm
on Marsh creek, Tioga county, which he sold three years later to his brother-in-law



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 743



and went to the Manhattan tannery, where he worked as a teamster four years. He
was afterwards a hostler at the same institution for eight years. In the spring of
1893 he moved to his present farm in Delmar township, which he had previously
purchased and has since followed agricultural pursuits. Mr. Brooks was married
in Westfield, Tioga county, May 3, 1880, to Miss Etta Davis. She is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and gives his support
to the principles of that party.

EussELL Lawton was bom in Chenango county, New York, November 21,
1816, a son of Gideon and Polly (Dodge) Lawton, and grandson of Noyes and
Cynthia (Eathbone) Lawton, all natives of Ehode Island. Eussell was the fifth in a
family of nine children, named as follows: Eliza, Thomas, Harry, Lucinda, Eussell,
Almira, William, Charles and Ira. The father was born November 11, 1786, and died
February 13, 1841. The mother was bom May 35, 1793, and died October 31, 1861.
Eussell was reared on a farm, obtained a common school education, and came to
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1S39. He purchased a farm in Delmar township,
and followed agricultural pursuits up to his death. He married Susannah B.
Hardy — ^born in Delmar township January 19, 1833, — a daughter of Levi and Sally
(Borden) Hardy, natives of New Hampshire and Massachusetts, respectively, and
early settlers of Delmar township. They were the parents of five children, viz:
Levi E., who died at eleven years of age; Gilderoy H., Warren, Francis E., and
Edgar, all residents of Delmar township. Mr. Lawton departed this life October
29, 1888. His widow resides with their son, Francis E.

GiLDEEOY H. Lawton was bom in Delmar township, Tioga county, February
30, 1843, a son of Eussell Lawton, and was reared upon the homestead, and attended
the common schools of his district. On August 8, 1863, he enlisted in Company A,
One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was in the battles of the
Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Petersburg, Weldon Eailroad and Hatcher's Eun. He
was wounded at Spottsylvania, and was honorably discharged at Elmira, New York,
with the rank of corporal, June 24, 1865. Eetuming to Delmar township, he
bought his present farm of 100 acres, and has devoted his attention to its cultiva-
tion. On January 33, 1866, he married Mrs. Lydia M. Berry, nee Lawton, who had
two children by her previous marriage, ■\dz: Mary S., wife of E. E. Sherman, of
Delmar, and George L., of Stony Fork. Mr. Lawton is a member of George Cook
Post, G. A. E., and his wife is conneet-ed with the Woman's Eelief Corps, of that
post. In politics, he is a stanch Eepublican.

Waeeen Lawton was bom in Delmar township, Tioga county, October 31,
1844, a son of Eussell Lawton, was reared on the farm and educated in the public
schools. On March 6, 1864, he enlisted in Company I, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania
Volunteers, and was in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna
Eiver, Cold Harbor and Siege of Petersburg, and was discharged from the service
July 18, 1865. He returned to his home in Delmar township, and settled upon his
present farm of 135 acres, purchased while he was in the service, and has since made
farming his vocation. Mr. Lawton was married February 13, 1867, to Clarissa L.
Townsend, a daughter of Jacob F. Townsend, of Delmar, and has two children:
Noyes, who married Clara Lyons, and has two sons, Perley W. and Eussell P.; and
Clara L., wife of William A. Luddington, of Delmar township, who has one daughter,



744 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTT.

Clarissa M. Mrs. Lawton died April 23, 1892, aged forty-five years. Mr. Lawton
is a stanch Eepublican, and is a member of the G. A. E., the I. 0. 0. F., the K. of
G. E., and the P. of H.

Edgar Lawton, youngest son of Eussell and SusannaJi B. Lawton, was bom in
Delmar township, Tioga county, January 31, 1849. He was reared on the home-
stead farm, attended the district school in boyhood, and when twenty-three years of
aged purchased the C. G. Osgood farm in Delmar township, which he cultivated
twelve years. He then sold it and purchased his present farm of ninety acres, a half
mile west of Stony Fork, upon which he has since resided. He also followed the
stoiiemason's trade in connection with his farm duties for ten years. He makes
dairy farming a specialty, keeping on an average ten cows. Mr. Lawton was mar-
ried February 30, 1873, to Agnes Orr, a daughter of Thomas Orr, of Delmar, and
has two sons, Thomas E. and Frank E. Mrs. Lawton is a member of the Presby-
terian church, and their son, Thomas E., is connected with the Patrons of Husbandry
and the I. 0. 0. F. In politics, Mr. Lawton is a Eepublican.

Levi Hardy was one of the early settlers of Delmar township, Tioga County,
where he purchased a farm about 1837. He was a native of New Hampshire, a
son of Eufus and Lucy (Livermore) Hardy, natives of New England. He married
Sally Borden, who became the mother of nine children, viz: Eufus, John, William,
Lorenzo, Dexie, Henrietta, Annie, Susannah B., who married Eussell Lawton, and
Adaline. Mr. Hardy was a blacksmith, and followed his trade in connection with
agriculture up to his death, September 18, 1859. His widow survived him only a
few months, dying February 37, 1860.

James Playfoot was bom in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1815, a son of David and
Elizabeth (Day) Playf oot, and was the eighth in a family of nine children, named as
follows: David, Daniel, David (3d), Sarah A., John, Martha, Elizabeth, James and
Jonathan, all of whom are dead except Elizabeth and James. The mother died in
1846, and the father, in 1856. James was four years old when his parents removed
from Cincinnati to New York City, where his father engaged in the milk" business.
He attended the public schools of that city, and when fifteen years of age came with
his parents to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where his father purchased 150 acres
of timber land. The family staid but a couple of months, and then went to Sullivan
county. New York, where James learned the blackspiith's trade. Two years later
he went to Athens, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, to which place his father had
previously moved, and followed his trade there five years. After a couple of months
spent at Columbia Flats, he came to Covington, Tioga county, and continued to
work at his trade for three years. Eeturning to Athens, he followed blacksmithing
for about five years, with the exception of one year spent on his father's farm, and
again came to Tioga county. He worked at his trade on Pine creek a few months,
in Sullivan township three years, and at Covington fourteen years. At the end of



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 99 of 163)