Ermina Newton Leonard.

Newton genealogy, genealogical, biographical, historical, being a record of the descendants of Richard Newton of Sudbury and Marlborough, Massachusetts 1638, with genealogies of families descended from the immigrants Rev. Roger Newton of Milford, Connecticut, Thomas Newton of Fairfield, Connecticut, online

. (page 60 of 131)
Online LibraryErmina Newton LeonardNewton genealogy, genealogical, biographical, historical, being a record of the descendants of Richard Newton of Sudbury and Marlborough, Massachusetts 1638, with genealogies of families descended from the immigrants Rev. Roger Newton of Milford, Connecticut, Thomas Newton of Fairfield, Connecticut, → online text (page 60 of 131)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

1825. He died at Los Angeles, Calif., at the home of his daughter, March
27, 1903. Burial at Eau Claire, Wis. Mr. Wilson was a man of much
worth and made many friends. His parents, both natives of Virginia,
removed to the West and settled in Dane County, Wis. ; farmers. He
was educated in the public schools and a short course at the State Uni-
versity, Madison, Wis. Later served as surveyor of public lands in Wis-
consin. In 1850 was superintendent of locks on the Fox River ; in 1851
sergeant-at-arms of the Assembly' in the state legislature ; "was one of
the pioneers of Eau Claire, Wis., where he settled in 1854. With W. II.
Gleason he platted what is now the main business part of the city, and
was a half owner of the then village [now city of 18,310 inhabitants] of
Eau Claire." "No man was ever more loyal to his home city or more
strenuous in promoting its welfare and prosperity." He established a real
estate business ; studied law, making the conveyance of land a specialty,
and was admitted to the bar in 1857 ; was a delegate from Wisconsin to
the Democratic National Convention at Baltimore in 1872. Both Mr.
and Mrs. Wilson were devoted to the welfare of their family, and con-
. tributed largely to the happiness of very many other people. Since her
widowhood Mrs. Wilson divides her time between the homes of her
daughters. Her children, except the first, were born at Eau Claire, Wis.
Namely :

3673. 1. Edward Newton? Wilson (M.D.), b. Aug. 11, 1854, at DePere, Wis.; d.

at Chippewa Falls, Wis., April 6, 1904 ; burial at Eau Claire. He
married at Chippewa Falls, Wis.; July 18, 1894, Christina McDougal,
who survives him and resides in Portland, Ore. He was graduated from
the High School at Eau Claire in 1873 ; spent about two years at the
State University, Madison, Wis. ; 1885 entered Rush Medical College,
Chicago, 111., and was graduated Feb. 15, 1887; was about four years
in practice at Mellon and Merrill, Wis., and removed in Oct., 1891, to
Portland, Ore., where he settled and had a successful practice; was
there a member of the faculty of Williamette University. His early
death was from locomotor ataxia. No children.

3674. 2. Nellie" Wilson, b. April 26, 1857 ; educated in the public schools and a

short course at Rockford Seminary for Young Ladies, Rockford, 111. ;
m. at Eau Claire, Wis., Rev. Charles S. Starkweather officiating, Sept.
16. 1884, Leslie Willson, son of Mark and Margaret (Allen) Willson*
of Winona, Minn. He was born at Sugar Grove, Warren County, Pa.,
May 1, 1847, and died at Chippewa Falls, Wis., Dec. 6, 1906. From
1874 to 1889, he was engaged as traveling salesman for the firm of "Bell,
Conrad & Co.," Chicago, 111., after which service he founded the "Chip-
pewa Valley Mercantile Co.," at Chippewa Falls, Wis., being himself the
principal proprietor. The firm is continued since his death ; his widow
taking the presidency in his stead. He was a man who possessed in

* Mask Willson was b. Feb. 27, 1814, at Now Market, Canada. Maboabbt Allbn was b.

Nov. 15, 181G, in Chenango County, N. Y.


combination many rare qualities: frank, courteous,' genial, abounding in
good humor, generous, noble in character, a well-balanced mind, of
good business ability, he possessed most happily those qualities which
endeat men to their friends and associates. The beautiful "Leslie
Willson Memorial Chapel" at Eorest Hill Cemetery. Chippewa • Falls,
Wis., was erected by and presented to the city by Mrs. Willson as a
fitting memorial to lier husband. They had no children.
3675. 3. Joseph Fisher' Wilson, b. Dec. 18, 1SG2 ; graduated from the High School

at Eau Claire; lumberman: has been since 1904 manager and super-
intendent for the lumber firm of "Johnson-Wentworth Co.," at Cloquet,
Minn. : unm.
3G7G. 4. Katharine 9 Wilson, b. March 14, 1872; educated at the High School at

Eau Claire: m. there Nov. 1<>. IS!*?. Loren D. Sale. He is a wholesale
druggist in Los Angeles. Calif., where they reside. No children.
3661. iii. Edwabd Densmore 8 , b. Aug. 2!>. 1840; d. at DePere. Wis.. November 21,
1865; consumption and chronic diarrhea. lie was educated in the schools
at Green Bay and DePere, Wis., and assisted his father in preparing
the farm for cultivation, with other side-work until the Civil War came on.
He enlisted Sept. 20, 18G1, private in Company G, 1st regiment, Wisconsin
Cavalry, volunteers, and went into camp at llipon, Wis.. — in the college
buildings. In Nov., 1SG1, he was elected to be first corporal of Company
G. The camp was moved soon after to Kenosha. Wis., and mustered into
the United States service. About this time he was offered a commission as
2d lieutenant in the 19th Wis. Inft., but refused, as he preferred the
cavalry service. The complete organization of the Wis. 1st Cavalry was
effected in Feb., 1862; Col. Edward Daniels, Lieut.-Col. LaGrange (a
popular officer who later became colonel of the regiment). The officers
of Co. G. were changed to Capt. Nathan Paine, 1st Lieut. Stephen V.
Shipman, 2d Lieut. Joseph E. Mosher, and Edward Newton was made
2d sergeant — that is, quartermaster sergeant. In March, 18G2, the regi-
ment went to Benton Barracks, at St. Louis, Mo., were mounted and
drilled. There was also an evening school for the non-commissioned
officers in army tactics. As 2d sergeant, Mr. Newton had to keep the
company books, and was responsible for everything issued to the company.
From St. Louis they went. April 27, 18G2, to Cape Girardeau, Mo. ; later
at Bloomtield. Mo., and then to Madison, Ark. ; after which he was at
Helena, Ark., sick, the effect of bad water, exposure and hard work, in
Sept., 1862. Some of his experiences, as given in his letters, show with
what fortitude he bore the terrible experiences of war. Dec. 3, 18G2, he
was taken with typhoid fever and with many others in like case sent to
the "Sisters Hospital" at St. Louis, where he was compelled to remain
until Feb.. ISC.:;. After that he was with the company and in the hospital
alternately — and he simply hated to stay in the hospital. He was of
heavy build when he enlisted, and the horses furnished were not equal
to his weight, so he owned his own horse and the government paid him
for the use of it, and its equipments. He sold the whole after the illness
reduced him so. In April, 1863, he was again at Cape Girardeau, Mo.,
and the following May, with the regiment, had been assigned to the
cavalry corps of the Army of the Cumberland, General Kosecranz com-
manding, and arrived at Nashville, Tenn. He took part in the general
movement of the army in the battle of Chickamauga, Sept. 19 and 20 ;
and at the battle of Chattanooga. Nov. 23-25 — his company being on the
reserve, stationed on a height where they had a fine view of the Union
charge through the clouds of the mountain. In December he was again in
hospital — at Bridgeport, Ala., and was sent back to Nashville. Tenn. In
writing about it he says : "I was at Chickamauga ... at Chattanooga
at that battle . . . have had some pretty gay times this summer, and
some awful hard. I stood it far better than I expected for I have not
been tough since that run of fever last winter. ... I am reduced to a
skeleton. Am able to sit up most of the time now." In March, 1864, he
was given a furlough of thirty days and came home, where he had a severe
return of the fever and his furlough was twice extended. During this
time he was appointed a recruiting officer at DePere, and served as such.
June 20, 1864, he returned to the army at St. Louis, Mo. His regiment
was at Atlanta. Ga.. but they would not send him there on account of his
health and that his time had so nearly expired. He was sent to Louis-
ville. Ky., where he. with others in the same conditions, was kept to do
the duty of guarding rebel prisoners ; patrol the city ; guarding new


recruits to the front and old soldiers whose time had expired, to the rear;
and of this squad of eighty men Mr. Newton was placed in command.
Oct. 10, 1804, he writes : "I was very busy all last week, but this week
I have all the company on daily duty in the city . . . except to make out
my reports and account for all these men three times a day. It is more
work than when a company is in the field. ... I am expecting one
hundred more men in my company to-day and then I shall have my hands
full for a few days. There is one company that has over four hundred
men — no two men from the same company and regiment : that's what
makes the work. . . . Last week I bled considerable at the lungs, but
that I very soon stopped." He continued at Louisville. Ky.. until his time
was out and he was discharged "by reason of expiration of service." Oct.
HI, 1804, — dated at Calhoun. Ga. Returning to his father's house he was
spared to his friends for nearly a year.

The above is merely a cursory statement of his itinerary as a soldier,
and does not include the many times Mr. Newton was sent out on detail
in command of a squad to do what the cavalry always have to do in war,
nor the mention of his participation in the decisive battle at Pea Ridge,

In person Edward Newton was five feet, nine inches, a well-developed
form, weight when he enlisted 190 lbs., which became 202 lbs., in April,
1802. without coat or jacket ; fair complexion, brown eyes, light brown
hair, black whiskers. He had great physical strength — there was only
one other in his regiment (1200 men) who was his equal in lifting. His
fine intellectual face would attract attention anywhere. In conversation
he was modest and retiring, yet impressed one with the idea that he had
given thought to the subjects on which he spoke. Without effort on his
part he made friends, and was liked and trusted. Many times the army
boys would bring him their money to keep for them, they not being able
to trust themselves with it. What seemed the promise of a man for good
work in the world, was made void, when his life went out at the age of
25 years.
3662. iv. Zebina Leonard 8 , b. Oct. 20. 1841; d. April 13, 1845; scarlet fever.

3003. tv. James King 8 , b. Jan. 15. 1843 ; m. Mrs. Frances A. Woodrow.

3004. f vi. Samuel*, b. March 25, 1844 ; m. Julia Ann Gage.

3005. vii. Ermixa Elizabeth 9 , b. March 14, 1840; m. at DePere. Wis.. Rev. Samuel

C. Hay officiating, June 2. 1888, Bernard Ammidown Leonard (2d wife),
son of Manning and Mary Fisher (Ammidown) Leonard of Southbridge.*
Mass.. where he was born July 25. 1844. (Her cousin in the third degree.
For further mention of Mr. Leonard see Fiske Genealogy and Leonard
Genealogy. > They reside at DePere. Wis. No children. She was edu-
cated ill the schools of DePere and Eau Claire, Wis., and a short term
of study at Ripon (Wis.) College: teacher in the public schools at DePere
and Fort Howard (now West Green BayL during the years 1803-1872
inclusive : with many interruptions and intervals has been engaged in com-
piling and arranging the '"Newton Genealogy" since 1885 to the present
3000. viii. Sarah Amanda 8 , b. July 0. 1847: educated in the public schools at DePere,
Wis.; m. at DePere. Nov. 1, 1800, Rev. John J. Walcott officiating,
Isaac Selden Clifford (2d wife), son of Isaac B. and Betsey (Morrill)
Clifford* of Waterville. Maine, where he was born March 10. 1841. Mr.
Clifford fitted for college at Waterville Academy (now "Coburn Classical
Institute"), and entered Waterville College in 1858: but on account of
ill health did not graduate. He enlisted as a soldier in the Civil War.
private in the 21st regiment. Maine infantry, in 1801, and served through
the war. After the war he engaged as superintendent of one of the
receiving departments of the Bay View Foundry and Rolling Mill at
South Milwaukee. Wis., for about twelve years, when he removed with his
family to Manston, Minn., where he engaged in farming until 1000, when
he again removed, thinking to try a warmer climate, and settled on a
fruit farm at Springdale. Washington County, Ark., where they now
reside. He is Republican in politics ; Universalist. They had three
children :

* Sec page .°.T4.

J Isaac b. Clifford, l>. Oct. 27, 1816; <l. April 20, 1893. Betsey Morbill, i>. Feb. 16,
1815 ; d. May 12, 1801. Both of them wore born, lived and died in Watorvillo. Maine. For
further account see the Morrill Genealogy.


3676a. 1. Cora* Clifford, 1>. May 15, 1871, at Milwaukee, Wis.; num.; resides with

her parents.
3077. 2. Alice* Clifford, b. June 5, 1873, at Milwaukee; d. there April 16, 1877;

scarlet fever.
3678. 3. Ursula' Clifford, b. July 20, 1883, at Manston, Minn.; unm. ; resides with

her parents.
3667. ix. Marion Almika 8 . h. July 21. 1850: d. at DePere. Wis.. May 28. 1873; was
educated in the schools at DelVre, Wis. ; taught two terms in the public
school at Mill Center, Wis., and three terms in the public school at
Wrightstown, Wis. At the latter place the daughter of the home where
she boarded was in the last stages of consumption, and she contracted the
disease, which resulted in her death at the age of 22 years, 10 months.

2951. WALTER NEWTON 7 , 2d (Edward'-. Paul". Nathan 4 , Jonathan 8 ,

Moses'-, Richard 1 ), son of Edward and Esther (Montague) Newton of South-
borough, Leverett, Charlestown and Sunderland, Mass., was born at Sunderland,
June 26, 1816, and died at North Hadley, Mass., February 22, 1849, aged 32
years, 7 months and 15 days.

He married at Hadley, Rev. George Cook officiating, February 10, 1841,
Lucinda Smith, daughter of Josiah L. and Cynthia (Bixby) Smith. She was
born at Lynn, N. H, May 12, 1817, and was living in 1888. She married twice
after the death of Mr. Newton, and had another son. Her third husband was
Lewis W. Cleveland of Skaneateles, N. Y., where they were living in 1888.

Mr. Newton was nearly three years old when his mother died. He was brought
up in the home of his uncle, Hon. Walter Newton of Hadley, Mass., where he
continued to reside until about the time of his marriage. Bearing the same
name as his uncle, he signed his letters "Walter Newton, 2d."

After his marriage in 1841 he was living on Middle Street, Hadley, and about
that time he purchased a small place one mile south of his uncle Walter's farm,
''onto which," he writes, "we expect to move October 1, 1842." His occupation
was that of broomtier, although his last work was in the wire mill. "He was a
man of noble character, of strong faith, of exemplary life, a kind husband and
a loving father." Like so many of his family, he too was a victim of that dire
disease, consumption. He speaks as early as 1842 as being fearful it had begun
its work. In those days people did not regard consumption contagious, and took
no precaution against it, or measures for its cure, thinking it incurable.

Rev. Baxter Newton writes of him : "I visited your brother Walter in his
last, long sickness, and was happy to see his strong faith in Christ as his Saviour,
and his composure in view of approaching death."

His children were born at North Hadley.


3688. i. Sarah Elizabeth 8 , b. Dec. 5. 1842 : d. April 9. 1843.

3689. tii. Charles Baxter 8 , b. Aug. 29, 1843; m. Maria L. Clark.

2952. LYMAN ALBEE NEWTON 7 (Paul", Paul 5 , Nathan*, Jonathan 3 ,
Moses 2 , Richard 1 ), son of Paul, Jr.. and Polly (Albee) Newton of Southborough,
Mass., Marlborough, N. H, Hawley and Sunderland, Mass.. was born at Marl-
borough, N. H, July 22, 1806, and died at Sunderland, May 12, 1889, aged nearly
83 years.

He married at Hadley. Mass., May 16, 1837, Sarah Clark, daughter of Nathan
and Philena (Walker) Clark of Amherst, Mass. She was born January — ,
1812, at Amherst, and died at Sunderland, March 13, 1888. Although not legally
adopted, she was from a young child brought up in, and treated as a member
of, the family of the Hon. Walter Newton of Hadley (uncle of Lyman Albee
Newton). "They called her their child." Five children.


"Lyman Newton resembles his father, both in mind and feature, and with
whom he always lived — and took care of in his old age." He removed with his
parents in 1817 from Marlborough, X. IT., to Hadley and thence to Hawley,
Mass. He worked with his father in the blacksmith's business, thus learning the
trade. In 1842 he was living with his father in Hawley, Mass., when he did much
teaming to and from Greenfield. So trusted was he by the merchants that they
sent by him to do their banking in Greenfield. This kind of lading made him
more apprehensive of danger than all his loads of hides and leather ; but he was
never waylaid. About 1854 he bought a farm — small, but good crops, in "Sun-
derland Meadows, first Division," where he resided the remainder of his life.
His parents moved with him from Hawley to Sunderland, they now living with
him and his wife. All four went to their long home in Sunderland.

"Mr. Newton was naturally a quiet man, simple in his habits and manners,
universally respected among his acquaintances, fond of the society of young
people and enjoyed visiting, and having company. At eighty years of age he
was quite deaf and almost blind. His wife, who was remarkably smart and
bright for one of her years, was a great help and comfort to him always, but
especially so at this time of silence and darkness; her death (from pneumonia)
touched him keenly." Both had been members of the Congregational Church
for many years. His letters to his friends are full of his faith in the promises
of the Christ. In politics, he was Republican. He divided his farm in his life-
time between his grandchildren and their father, William N. Wiley, whose widow
(2d wf.) sold her share back to the grandchildren — the family of his daughter
always having lived with him.

Mr. Newton seemed well as usual during the winter 1889 ; but as spring
opened, began to fail rapidly and died in May. The funeral was conducted by
his pastor, Rev. Mr. Butler, and was attended by many friends and relatives from
neighboring towns.

I, myself, have a personal feeling for "Cousin Lyman," for he wrote me
several letters, and was enthusiastic about this our "Newton Record." The last
one is very pathetic. After trying to write the date — all over the page — the
only other words are : "I can't see." He sent to me, as something he had treas-
ured all these years, a piece of Continental money, with date October 16, 1778,
issued by the State of Massachusetts, and good till October 18, 1784 — "by act
of said state." No. 3,007. Three Shillings. On one side is the picture of the
"Pine tree," on the other at the top in a circle is the "great, grizzly cod-fish,"
we have all heard about and many have seen. The signatures are well worn.
This was one of four pieces of Continental Money which Paul Newton 5 saved
from his pay as a soldier of the Revolution. He gave one each to his four sons.
This piece was the one given to his son Paul, Jr., who gave it to his son, Lyman,
and he to me [E. N. L.]. Thus it has been in possession of the family all these
intervening years. I have placed it between glass, that it may be fully examined
and still be free from wear.


3G90. i. Pjiilexa 8 . b. May 22. 1838; d. Oct. 19, 18T>4.
ii. Two sons 8 , b. ; d. in infancy.

3691. iii. Julia Elizabeth 8 , b. Sept. I), 1847: d. at Sunderland. Jan. 30, 1879. She
married at Sunderland, Jan. 5, 1869, William X. Wiley, son of Ebenezer
and Adeline M. (Ball) Wiley of Sunderland, where he was born Feb. lti.
1840, and where he died , 1803. Republican; member of the Con-
gregational Church. Mrs. Wiley, with her family, always lived with her
parents, Mr. Wiley having charge of the farm work. They had two
children. He married (2) Julia Shelden of Leverett, by whom he had
other children. The family continued to reside with Lyman Albee Newton,
he making a division of the property so that no one should be defrauded.
After the death of Mr. Wiley, his widow sold his share back to the
grandchildren of Lyman A. Newton. [Mrs. Julia Wiley, widow; resides
1909, in Sunderland.] These children were:


3092. 1. Harriet Phil ma-' WUey, b. Oct. 14, 1869; m. , 1899, San-

dusky of Lexington, Ky.. and Dallas, Texas, a traveling man. They
removed to Texas in 1901, where they continue to reside. Address, No.
.">.:!• Holmes St., Dallas, Texas. They have no children.

3093. 2. WUUam Arthur' WUey, b. Sept. 25. 1871. He resides in Sunderland,

Mass.. on the farm of his grandfather, Lyman A. Newton.
3694a. iv. George Baxter 8 , b. May 4, 1850; d. Sept. 1, 1850.

2966. REV. BAXTER NEWTON 7 (Stephen , Paul 5 , Nathan*, Jonathan',
Moses 2 , Richard 1 ), son of Stephen and Achsah (Smith) Xewton of Southborough,
Leverett, Mass., and Cazenovia. X. Y., was born at Cazenovia, X. Y., August 16,
1815, and died at Montague, Mass., April 14, 1893, aged nearly 78. Burial in the
Xew Cemetery at Xorth Leverett,

He married at Xorth Leverett, in the Baptist Church, the Rev. Erastus
Andrews officiating, July 28, 1844, Susan Maria Bout well, daughter of Deacon
Calvin S. and Sarah (Pierce) Boutwell of Montague. She was born at Sunder-
land, April 29, 1818, and died at Xorth Leverett, June 24, 1850, aged 32. Three

He married (2) at Southborough (at Fayville, a village in Southborough where
her father was pastor). Rev. Moses Curtis, Jr., officiating, March 25, 1852, Mary
Louise Curtis, daughter of Rev. Moses, Jr., and Mary A. (Potter) Curtis of Fay-
ville. She was born at Providence, R. I., January 2, 1827, and died at Montague,
April 29, 1910, aged 83. Mrs. Xewton was always an efficient helper in all of
her husband's work as a pastor. Her sunny disposition brought cheer to many
a discouraged one. She was a loyal Baptist all her life. One child.

Mr. Xewton writes thus of his education: "What little I had was picked up
here and there — most of it at the Seminary at Cazenovia. I studied some in the
High School at Xew Woodstock and some in Leroy, Genesee County, X. Y.,
where I was engaged in teaching for one year. Perhaps my attainments would
have been equal to what is, or was, required to enter college. ... I had
neither means nor health to endure close and continued study." He was led into
the ministry by such easy and gradual steps and tmexpected openings, that he
could not refuse to follow what seemed the plain call of Providence. In 1842 he
visited his Aunt Lovina Montague at Bernardston, Mass., where he formed a
pleasant acquaintance with Rev. Elijah Montague, her father-in-law, who for
twenty-eight years was the minister at Xorth Leverett. To his astonishment the
next spring (of 1843) there came a call for him to visit that church. He did so
and the visit resulted in his being ordained pastor there in September, 1843, a
settlement that lasted twelve years. A severe run of typhoid fever in 1855 com-
pelled his resignation and retirement from the ministry for a year or two. At
the earnest request of his parents he returned to Cazenovia, lived with them and
took care of them as long as they lived. He remained in Cazenovia between
fifteen and sixteen years; during this time, as he was able, and at different times,
he supplied the church at Delphi, X. Y., distant four miles from his home — nine
consecutive years, and ten or twelve years in all. He also supplied the church
in Cazenovia village, helping them to make large repairs on their house of

In 1869 he sold the farm at Cazenovia and removed to Memphis, Onondaga
County, X. Y., acting as pastor there for two and one-half years. In the spring
of 1873, just thirty years from the time of his first settlement, he received a call
to return to the church at Xorth Leverett ; which he accepted and where he
became pastor for another term of twelve years.

In 1885 he resigned this charge and retired to the farm he had purchased in
the western part of Montague, one and one-half miles from the village, where
he and his wife lived the remainder of their lives, their son Clarence and family
living in another part of the house and carrying on the farm. During these last


years Mr. Newton did not wholly give up his work, but preached to a small
church in the north of the adjoining town of Sunderland. Of the church at
North Leverett, a newspaper article makes the following statement : "The great-
est prosperity of the church was reached in 1843, early in the first pastorate of
Rev. Baxter Newton, when the number of members was 213."

Mr. Newton was never accounted a rugged man physically, but by husbanding
his strength and living a temperate life, was able to do an average amount of
work. In February, 1875, he fell on the ice and broke his hip — from which he

Online LibraryErmina Newton LeonardNewton genealogy, genealogical, biographical, historical, being a record of the descendants of Richard Newton of Sudbury and Marlborough, Massachusetts 1638, with genealogies of families descended from the immigrants Rev. Roger Newton of Milford, Connecticut, Thomas Newton of Fairfield, Connecticut, → online text (page 60 of 131)