Copyright
Evarts I. Blake.

Greater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. online

. (page 14 of 30)
Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 14 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


detail here, but which are known to phy-
sicians and druggists everywhere, are sold
in every store in Oakland and the Bay
Cities.

The Osgoods carry the largest and most
complete stock of prescription goods in
the West, and physicians frequently have
to send from remote parts of the city to
their stores in order to get just what they
want. They operate several complete de-
partments, each a big business in its-.lf.
In addition to an immense stock of drugs
and chemicals, there is the leather goods
department, trusses and surgical goods,
rubber goods, trunks and bags, cut glass,
etc.; in fact a veritable emporium.

The two stores employ some fifty peo-
ple and the laboratory fifteen people. The
annual pay-roll amounts to thirty-six thou-
sand dollars. The stores are in charge
of able and experienced managers. Mr.
E. C. Hafner, who has been with this
firm for twenty years, is manager of the
Seventh-street store, and Mr. Lewis Miller,
who has also been twenty years with the
concern, is manager of the Twelfth-street
store.



228



Grkatek Oakland, 1911



Mr. Chips, who has been with the firm
ten years, is manager of the laboratory.
The concern employs a special buyer and
succeeded in securing the services of Mr.
David Wilson for this important position.
Mr. Wilson was, for ten years, buyer for
Mack & Company, of San Francisco, and
lias proven a valuable acquisition to the
firm. It would seem that every man who
enters the employ of the Osgoods is con-
tented to stay with them permanently,
which is the best indication that they re-
ceive pretty good treatment, and merit is
rewarded.

Osgoods are the largest direct buyers of
cigars, retail, on the Pacific Coast. Last
year alone, they purchased seven hundred
and fifty thousand "Owl" cigars, and re-
tailed them seven for twenty-five cents.
They enjoy the distinction of being the
only store in the whole United States that
continuously sells "Owl"' cigars at that price.

Messrs. H. L. and F. S. Osgood, who
own these stores, are both self-made men ;



this enormous business has been built up
through their brains and energy alone.
They are both registered and practicing
pharmaceutists and know about all there
is to know about the drug business.

There is a good deal of extra credit at-
tached to their success, because, had they
been so inclined, they could well afford
to have lived a life of luxurious ease, as
their father before them, who will be re-
membered as one of the prominent early
pioneers of California, had amassed a for-
tune, and at his death, left an estate of
five hundred thousand dollars. This estate
has been increased through intelligent in-
vestment until it is now rated at over a
million dollars.

The Osgood Brothers conduct their busi-
ness on a co-operative profit-sharing plan,
and every man employed by them is di-
rectly interested in the business and re-
ceives part of the profits. These gentle-
men may well feel proud of their business
record of twenty-five years in the City of
Oakland.




Mr. Stanley Blaustein.



229




STANLEY BIyAUSTEIN



Mr. Stanley Blaustein

Proprietor Lake Pharmacy, Oakland, California




XE of Oakland's business men
whose life story bespeaks a
degree of courage and de-
termination that is unusual,
is Mr. Stanley Blaustein, the
congenial proprietor of the Lake Phar-
macy, at First Avenue and East Twelfth
Street, Oakland.

Mr. Blaustein is a native of Virginia,
born in Petersburg in 1873. After a thor-
ough education, he took a course in phar-
macy and duly received his diploma as a
practicing pharmaceutist in his early youth.
He began his career in the drug business
in the city of New York, where compe-
tition is keenest and where success comes
hard.



That he did succeed in New York, in-
deed, is shown when it is stated that be-
fore he had been in business many years
he was the proprietor of five thriving
stores in that city, one located at Fifty-
third Street and Eighth Avenue, another
at Sixty-fourth Street and Amsterdam Ave-
nue, one at Thirteenth Street and Sixth
Avenue, one on First Street and Sixth
Avenue, and one at Sixth Avenue and Thir-
teenth Street, Brooklyn, which indicates
a marked degree of enterprise. He had
built up a very remunerative business in
these stores, but when a tempting of¥er
was made him for his entire holdings in
the Eastern city, he accepted it, netting for
himself a comfortable fortune.



230



Greater Oakland, 1911




Mk. Stanley Blaustein.



231



It was not intended, however, that Mr.
Blaustein should rest upon his laurels, be-
cause the Knickbocker Trust Company of
New York, in which institution he had all
his money on deposit, closed its doors
amid the bewailing of depositors, and he
had to start all over again.

It was at this time, in 1908, that Mr.
Blaustein decided to seek his fortunes in
the Golden West. The first scene of his
^^'estern activities was in Bakersfield,
where he did well and got a start. Look-
ing for broader fields he came to Oakland
and established himself in his present lo-
cation on August 6, 1910.

He is the sole owner of the Lake Phar-
macy, and through his uniform courtesy,
his energy and his knowledge of the busi-
ness in which he is engaged, he is again
on the road to fortune. The Lake Phar-
macy carries a complete line of prescrip-
tion goods, surgical goods, confectionery,
wines and liquors, post cards, cameras, and
in fact is a veritable emporium. Mr. Blau-
stein's business now amounts to about
$10,000 per year; he employs four clerks.

A prett}- good indication that Mr. Blau-



stein understands his business is shown in
the relation of the following incident:

At a recent meeting of the Alameda
County Pharmaceutists' Association, held on
July 21, 1911, the question of the standard
strength, or proper proportion, of muriatic
acid dilute came up for discussion ; some
of the members present insisted that it
should be diluted 8^^ per cent, others 15
per cent, and the verdict was anywhere
from five to twenty per cent. Mr. Blau-
stein was the only druggist among all those
present that knew the right proportion,
viz.: that muriatic acid diluted 10 per cent
is standard and correct.

Mr. Blaustein has not lacked interesting
or exciting experience since he has been
at his present location. He enjoys the dis-
tinction of being held up three times, and
in every case has frustrated the purposes
of the hold-ups by quick thinking and per-
sonal bravery, and so far has escaped with-
out loss of property or personal injury.
He also likes to relate how Ex-President
Roosevelt casually dropped in to call last
fall during his visit here, inquiring about
the location of a friend in the vicinity.




232



Gkkater Oakland, 1911




AUGUvST F. MOISSON



M. & M. Hat Works



One of the young business men of Oak-
land who certainly deserves credit for his
energy and far-sightedness in building up
his present business, is Mr. August F.
Moisson, the proprietor of the M. & M.
Hat Works, at 257 Twelfth Street.

Mr. Moisson has arrived at his present
state of prosperity through taking advan-
tage of opportunities as they came, and
through good honest hard work. After
working for a time in Crockett, California,
with the Hawaiian Sugar Refinery, and
with other concerns in Nevada and San
Francisco, he decided to cast his fortunes
along with the city of Oakland, as he had
faith in its future.

It was three years ago that he suc-
ceeded in borrowing three hundred dollars
to establish his present business in a very
modest way, which it is needless to say,
he paid back out of his first profits.
Starting in with a little room with four



bare walls, he worked early and late, and
by the strictest economy was able to meet
his obligations, and gradually increased
his business until the M. & M. Hat Works
became a prosperous concern, employing
five people.

Mr. Moisson now enjoys the distinction
of inaugurating and establishing the only
concern selling good serviceable hats at
the unheard-of price of $1.50 in the city
of Oakland. He now has a big shipment
of these hats coming from the East, with
more following. He still continues the
cleaning and renovating department of the
business, handling both ladies' and gentle-
men's hats, making a specialty of Pan-
amas.

With the degree of energy and pluck
the young proprietor of the M. & M. Hat
Works has already shown, he should de-
velop his new concern into one of the
prominent business houses of the city.



Goi.nBKRG, BowKX & Company.



2:«



Goldberg, Bowen & Company



We believe it may l)e said that Gold-
berg, Bowen & Company are the largest
and most extensive retail grocers in Cali-
fornia, and the Oakland branch compares
favorabl}' with any store operated by the
company.

This concern was established in 1850,
and through energetic and efficient busi-
ness management, perfect organization and
progressive methods, has developed into
one of the foremost business institutions
on the Pacific Coast.

The main store is located at 242 Sutter
Street, San Francisco, with branches at
California and Devisadero Streets and 1401
Haight Street, and a large warehouse at
965 Sutter Street, in that city.

The big Oakland store is located at the
corner of Thirteenth and Clay Streets and



carries one of the most complete stocks
of high-class groceries, wines and liquors
and tempting delicacies in this city. The
big store is roomy, light and airy, and
exceptionally well arranged.

Under the able management of Mr. E.
Beardsley, the work of the establishment
has been thoroughly systematized, and an
enormous business is daily transacted with
courtesy and dispatch. The company fur-
nishes employment to eighty-five people in
the Oakland store alone, and seventeen
delivery wagons, seven buggies and eighty-
seven head of horses are required to take
care of the deliveries and outside work.

Goldberg, Bowen & Company gives em-
ployment to over three hundred people in
the various stores.



234



Greater Oakland, 1911



The Sunset Grocery Company




N the selection of the concerns
in Oakland that have reallj'
raised the standard of service
and efficiency in the particular
line of trade in which they are
engaged, thereby adding to the general ad-
vantages of the city, it is entirely consistent
to mention the Sunset Grocery Company.

This concern was incorporated about thir-
teen years ago in this city, and is thoroughly
an Oakland institution. It is a close corpora-
tion and the officers of the company have been
practically the same ever since the business
was established. A. W. Kirkland is the presi-
dent of the company, D. H. Mathes, vice-presi-
dent, and T. L. Fleming, secretary.

The main store of the company is located
right in the heart of the city, at 1105 Broad-
\vaj% and occupies a floor space of about 35
by 100 feet. Broad counters and shelving run
almost the entire length of the store on both
sides, displaying in a most attractive manner
as complete and as high a class of grocery
stock as may be found in any store on the
Pacific Coast. The offices and accounting de-
partment are located on the second floor.

When one enters the store he is immedi-
ately impressed with its cleanliness, its
roominess and perfect arrangement for
transacting a big business without any un-
necessary delay or confusion. The com-
pany does not try to economize in the mat-
ter of clerks, cither as to numbers or in the
employment of low-priced and inefficient
men, and as a result customers are attended
to courteously and promptly.



About four years ago the company decid-
ed to extend the business into new fields
and established a branch store at 2156 Cen-
ter Street, Berkeley, which is conducted on
the same broad lines and business methods
as the Broadway store; both establish-
ments are doing a thriving and ever in-
creasing business.

That the Sunset Grocery Company has
developed into a pretty big business insti-
tution is shown when it is stated that the
company furnishes employment to about
sixty people and pays out in payrolls and
other disbursements a great deal more than
$100,000 annually. Forty head of horses
and a dozen or more wagons are required
to take care of deliveries.

The company transacts a large business
with hospitals, hotels, clubs and public in-
stitutions, and has secured orders from the
United States Government, bidding in com-
petition with San Francisco and Sacramento
concerns, which indicates that the managers
of the Sunset Grocery Compau}- know how
to buy as well as sell.

The Sunset Grocery Company has been
successful because its officials have not been
mere figureheads, but the active managers
of the business, putting in their brains and
time as well as their capital. .\s a result
the buying is done intelligently, sj'stem and
harmony prevail, and all misunderstandings
and adjustments are effected with courtesy
and dispatch.

This concern has certainly done its share,
in its own sphere, in the general progress
and upbuilding of the city.



Sunset Grocery Company.



235




236



Greater Oakland, 19U



Bay Cities Home Telephone Company



The Bay Cities Home Telephone Com-
pany is the new corporate name of the
combined Home Telephone Company of
Alameda County and the Home Telephone
Company of San Francisco.

The Home Telephone Company of Ala-
meda County was organized by the com-
bining of local capital in 1905 to build and
operate an independent automatic telephone
service in the County of Alameda.

The automatic system, perfected as it is
today, is the only logical, rapid and secret
method of telephone communication.
Though somewhat difficult to describe, the
principle is very simple and generally well
imderstood. Briefly the aim of machine or
automatic service is to place the line at
all times under the control of the party
paying for the service. By the operation
of the dial connection is made with the
desired line the moment it is completed, re-
gardless of whether that line terminates
in the same exchange or one of the branch
exchanges of the system. The bell is rung
at the distant station as long as the ring-
ing button is pressed by the party calling,
and the line disconnected the instant the
receiver is placed upon the hook. How
well the aim has l^een attained can only he
fully appreciated by a visit to one of the
exchanges.

The promoters of this company being
experienced men in the telephone world
adopted the automatic principle and began
the building of a large system, with head-
quarters at 1369 Franklin Street, Oakland,
where a commodious building three stories
and basement of Class A construction was
built, now the headquarters of the Alameda
County division. A modern plant being



the idea, underground conduits were placed
connecting all the branch exchanges and
in the entire business district with extra
ducts provided for the future.

In obtaining a franchise from the City
Council of the City of Oakland, the com-
pany gave the city, free of rent, fifty tele-
phones and the use of a duct in these con-
duits and privilege of its pole lines for
the fire alarm and the police telegraph
service. This concession is being taken ad-
vantage of to its fullest extent, a saving
of thousands of dollars to the tax paj-ers.
Substations were established to take care
of the fast growing business, and these,
like the main office, are of solid fireproof
construction. The Berkeley office and
lines were built in 1909 and 1910, and there
the same general plan of permanent work
was carried out, conduits throughout the
entire business district and aerial cables in
the outlying territory. In Berkeley, as in
Oakland, the company allowed the city
the use of telephones, conduits and pole
lines.

The working of the automatic switches
of this system, which is difficult to de-
scribe, can only be appreciated by a visit
to one of its exchanges, but to illustrate
the rapidity of its working, one movement
of the dial selects the office called and the
connection with this office is made by
the time the dial has come back to the
original position. Then to complete the
switch, call the number wanted, the selec-
tors and line switch work as fast as the
dial is worked and by pressing the ring-
ing button the attention of the party called
is attracted.



Bay Cities Home Telephone Company



23T




Main Office Bay Cities Home Telephone Company



238



Greater Oakland, 1911




Bay Cities Home Telephone Company



239




Corner of -Main Switch Room, showing the few people necessary to handle thousands of Subscribers



240



Greater Oakland, 1911




East Oakland Branch of the Bay Cities Home Telephone Company




Switches Home Telephone Company, Berkeley Office



Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company



241



Oakland's Telephone Service



Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company.

The telephone service in Oakland, fur-
nished by The Pacific Telephone and Tele-
graph Company, one of the Associate Bell
Companies, is of a high standard and thor-
oughly covers all sections of the city.

Four separate central offices are required
in this service. .\11 of these buildings are
of modern type of construction and the
equipment in each is of the latest design.
In addition to the switchboards and other
telephone equipment, each building con-
tains a neatly furnished rest room, in which
the operators have provided an extensive
library for their reference and entertain-
ment during the rest periods.

Each building also contains a complete
kitchen and lunch room, in which the op-
erators are furnished a la carte lunches at
cost. Approximately 9,000 lunches are
served monthly at an average cost of eight
cents, the prices of the different articles
ranging from two to six cents each. Seven
people are regularly employed in preparing
and serving these lunches and an experi-
enced restaurant man is in charge.

An operating school is maintained at
which all new operators are trained. The
attendance averages one hundred students,
and twelve instructors are regularly em-
ployed. The average period of instruction
is three weeks, during which the operators
are paid liberally. Upward of 5,000 appli-
cations for positions as operators are re-
ceived at this school each year, but only
about 60 per cent are accepted as eligible.

The outside lines are practically^ all of
recent, modern construction and include
approximately 400 miles of underground
conduit and trench, extending eight miles
east and west from the San Francisco bay
to Elmhurst, and six miles north and
south from Alameda to within one-quarter
of a mile of the north county line. The



outside plant includes the following:
Miles of underground trench... 54
Miles of underground conduit. .248
Miles of underground cable.... 104

Miles of aerial cable 150

Miles of pole line 187

Miles of open wire 361

The total wire mileage would encircle
the globe three times.

A total of 567 people are employed and
the total annual pay roll is $407,846.00.

The number of telephones now in opera-
tion in Oakland is 22,085, from which 38,-
194,200 calls are placed per annum. Addi-
tional subscribers are now being obtained
at the rate of 500 per month, and in a re-
cently completed study of the future tele-
phone requirements of Oakland, the Pa-
cific Company estimated that in the year
1926 there will be approximately 77,500
telephones in Oakland.

A metropolitan "rapid fire" service is
furnished between Oakland and the prin-
cipal nearby cities. This service is identi-
cal with that furnished in the metropolitan
district of New York City. One combina-
tion directory is issued for this district, in
which are listed 129,307 subscribers.

Between Oakland and San Francisco
there are five separate submarine cables
crossing San Francisco Bay, furnishing fa-
cilities for upward of 8,000 calls per day.
Additional cables will shortly be laid pro-
viding facilities for 3,000 more calls per
day, Facilities to the other points around
the bay are in a similar proportion.

An extensive system of long distance
lines centers at Oakland, providing prompt
and efficient service to practically every
town and hamlet in California and extend-
ing to Canadian points on the north and
the Mexican border on the south, and cov-
ering all the principal points in Nevada and
Arizona.



242



Greater Oakland, 1911




J i2

O V

u g

o r



= S

.2 2
r' ^



a; o
X en

■> o



Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company



243




Piedmont Office, 4Sth, near Telegraph Avenue, Serving the Northern Residential Section



244



Greater Oakland, 1911




Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company



245



,.„„..-.»«•



M( , y< i ^ |




Switch Board in Main Office




A Cozy Place to Rest During: Recess After the Days Work



246



Greater Oakland, 1911




Terminal Room, Showing Wire Chief's Test Board




Main Office Operating Room, Showing I,ong Distance Chief Operator's Desk and Switchboard



Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company



247




1



Merritt Office, 12th Avenue and East 17th Street, Ser\'ing the Eastern Residential Section




Conduits entering Manhole



248



Greater Oakland, 1911




The Noon Hour. The Telephone Company Provides Free Luncheon




I.ayinjr an Underground Trench



Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company



249




UiidergTouiid Cable Entering- Main Office




Trench Construction Work



252



Greater Oakland, 1911



The Piedmont Hills

One of the Most Beautiful Resident Places
in the World



ROM earliest antiquity to the
present time men have always
soiiglit the hills for homes.
In tlie days of the power of
Rome the hills overlooking
the Canipagna were dotted with the villas
of wealthy citizens and tlie treasure of
the world was lavished on gardens, ter-




When Oakland was first settled' the dwell-
ings clustered on the fiats about the shore
of the bay. But with the growth of the
city to power, greatness and wealth, there
soon developed among men of means this
old desire to have their homes apart from
tlie noise of traffic and the dust of labor —
to liave their homes on the slopes of the




A Characteristic Home in the Piedmont Hills
This Garden Preserves its Freshness and Beauty all the Year Around



races and fountains to make these villas
truly enchanted places of delight.

It was upon hill-slopes and hill-crests,
also, that our Prankish or German ances-
tors built tiicir castles, and this instinct to
have a home away from the lowlands is
still strong in the heart of the modern
man.



beautiful partly wooded hills which border
the city on the east. So here and there
on the hill-slopes of what is now Piedmont
rose stately mansions embowered in trees,
but rapid transit systems were not then
sufficiently developed so that the man of
more moderate means could enjoy the rare
and inexhaustible pleasures of a home over-



WicKHAM Havens, Inc.



25a




O .Q.

5 3



bo o



254



Greater Oakland, 1911



looking the most beautiful bay in tlic world
and distant mountains of blue and amethyst
through the hazy air of California's eternal
summer.

At this juncture of affairs it l)ccame ap-
parent to far-sighted men that if these hills
were made accessible by rapid transit fa-
cilities and ribboned with curving drives
and boulevards, people of taste and culture
would eagerly seek these hill-slopes as sites
for beautiful and distinguished residences.

The firm of Wickham Havens, Incorpo-
rated, one of the earliest in the field, for-



of charming villas surrounded by gardens.
Where, less than ten years ago, you could
have heard the sound of the reaper or the
ploughman's whistle, now along white,
smooth streets sounds the purr of auto-
mobile and the clatter of hoofs of riding
horses.

The firm of Wickham Havens, Incorpo-
rated, has constructed at its own expense
in the development of these hill-slopes some
thirty miles of macadamized avenues as
fine as any in the world, has made 70
miles of concrete sidewalks, has planted




A Residence in the Piedmont Hills on Property Developed by Wickham Havens, Incorporated



tunately acquired control of an almost con-
tinuous area of these lovely hill-slopes em-
bracing more than a thousand acres, and
following a wise and far-sighted plan, set out
to make this spot, already so wonderfully
endowed by nature, one of the most glo-
riously beautiful home-places in the world.
Nearly ten years have elapsed since this



Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 14 of 30)