Copyright
Evarts I. Blake.

Greater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. online

. (page 17 of 30)
Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 17 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


then backing them up to the last notch, giving
them full authority as fast as they can handle
it. In this way he has surrounded himself with
a coterie whose brilliance of performance is
only equalled by their devotion to their chief.

He is a sociable man, though not in the
sense in which "society" is used. He loves
his friends devotedly and nothing pleases him
better than to have them about him. His home
in Oakland and his summer home on Shelter
Island, New York, are always filled with
those to whom he can give pleasure.

In charity Mr. Smith is as broad as he is
unostentatious. His Home Club is a beautiful
example of this. Adjoining the magnificent
grounds of his own home he has built a num-
ber of attractive cottages and bungalows.
These, completely furnished and equipped, are
provided for worthy girls selected Dy the lady
directors of the Home, and all cost of their
maintenance, education and welfare is borne
by Mr. Smith for a certain period. As an
illustration of practical, helpful Christian char-
ity it is one of the most striking to be found
in this country.

The city of Oakland should be proud to
claim Mr. Smith as its citizen. No man in
the country is in a position to do more than
he to bring Oakland to its rightful place as
Queen of the Pacific. Nor is there anyone
who has evinced a more sincere desire to do
this very thing for the city in which he lives
and loves.



284



Greater Oakland, 1911



Hotel Oakland




HE XEW HOTEL OAKLAND
V. hich is now nearly com-
pleted, will not only be as
handsome and large as any
hostelry on the Pacific Coast,
but will rank along with the best hotels of
the United States.

The site of the hotel embraces an entire
city block, 200 by 300 feet in dimension.
The foundation walls are massive struc-
tures of reinforced concrete of unusral
strength, and the frame is fornK d of struc-
tural steel of the heaviest ami str!i!ia:est
type. The outer walls and all the floors are
of reinforced concrete, assuring the greatest
stability and safety. Xi bui'din? under-
taken to be erected in n-'odcrn ti'i^es em-
braces within its foundations, walls and
floors more complete and pi rfect e!en:ents
of safety than the Hotel Oakland.

The structure is designed in the style of
the Italian renaissance, and rises seven
stories above the ground floor. The main
portion of the building is surmounted with
two noble towers rising four stories above
the roof. This main section is 300 feet long,
lying on Fourteenth Street, from Harrison
to Alice Street, and at each end the wings
extend at right angles a full 200 feet to
Thirteenth Street, producing a central court
on Thirteenth Street. The structure is faced
with Carnegie pressed brick of a delicate
cream-gray tone, and the architectural ef-
fect of the exterior is completed by a terra-
cotta tile roof.

The Arcade,

The Court on Thirteenth Street in front
of the main entrance, in size 90 by 155
feet, is sure to be a most appreciated fea-
ture of the Hotel Oakland from an artistic
point of view. It is flanked on either side
by an arcade of concrete columns, being
almost a replica of the loggia of the Can-
cellaria Palace at Rome.



The Main Entrance.

The court will be laid out in gardens of
California loveliness and traversed with a
carriage drive in the shape of a half moon
from Thirteenth Street to the marquise at
the main entrance. With the top of the
arcade specified to carry a great number
of large lights, and the outline of the towers
emblazoned in a flood of electric scintilla-
tions, the eflfect of the ensemble at night
on the garden and arcade is one which can
be inspiringly imagined with delight.

The Lounging Room.

The main entrance to the hotel will be
situated on Thirteenth Street at the rear
of the court. From this charming exterior
one will enter the lounging room, in size
40 by 80 feet, and finished in Caen stone,
with an elliptical vaulted ceiling pierced by
circular vaults over the windows and deco-
rated in the highly ornamental style of the
Italian renaissance and, in the manner of
that period, colored in soft, v/arm tones.
Growing plants in profusion will add to its
restful effect. The balcony and mantel of
this room will be of Hoptonwood marble,
the floor of marble and tile.

The Office.

To the left of the lounging room will be
the office, connected by wide corridor with
the Harrison Street entrance, and between
the office and the entrance will be located
the concessions on each side; that is, the
carriage agent, flower stand, telephones,
telegraph office, check room, news and cigar
stands, stenographer, etc.

Office and corridors will also be in Caen
stone, with tile and marble floors.

The Ballroom.

The ballroom, 56 by 108 feet, with prome-
nade at each end, will be in Corinthian de-



Hotel Oakland



283




286



Greater Oakland, 1911



sign, with ornamented plaster ceiling, deco-
rated pillars and polished oak floor. An
unusually beautiful crystal chandelier, eight
feet in diameter, with four smaller support-
ing lights in the corners, will cast their
brilliance on exquisite hangings and deco-
rations of ivory and apricot. This room,
which is one of the largest, if not the larg-
est, ballroom on the Coast, and promises
to be the most beautiful, is also directly
connected with the reception and dining
rooms, and it is so arranged that the tea-
room as well may be added to this suite.
Guests attending a ball will pass through
the Alice Street entrance into a large re-
ception room, thence into a dressing-room
lobby, from which lead the men's and wom-
en's hat and cloak and toilet rooms.

The Dining Room.

The dining room, connected with the ball-
room and directly in the rear of the loung-
ing room, will be of Caen stone, with ceil-
ing highly ornamented in colors. The four
large, full bronze and brass lanterns which
will illuminate it will be patterned after the
lanterns in a noted French chateau.

The Cafe.

The cafe, which is on the northwest cor-
ner of the building and which will be ar-
ranged to accommodate about 275 people at
one time, will be paneled in oak from the
marble and tile floor to the ornamented
English plaster ceiling. The room will be
lighted by two chandeliers of the Dutch
type, besides numerous wall brackets. A
music gallery above the door will furnish
the music for both the cafe and the loung-
ing room.

The Clubroom.

An extra $.5,600 was added to the original
cost of the clubroom in order to make it
surpass anything of its kind on the Pacific
Coast. It will be entirely paneled in oak,
with Italian ceiling in colors. The leaded
glass windows will have richly colored
medallions inset, something unusual and
very effective. There is no doubt but that
this room will appeal to the men guests,
and it is certain that nothing which will add
to their comfort and content will be lacking.



The Hotel Accommodations.

The tea room, at the right of the lounging
room, will be charming in its simplicity and
very inviting. The walls will be hung with
velvet and the room finished in delicate
tapestries and set with exquisite furniture.
With "tiffin" a feature of the hotel's social
life, this room will be a popular meeting
place for Oakland women.

The kitchen is placed between the dining
room and the cafe, insuring quick and satis-
factory service. In this most important
room all the modern equipment of an up-to-
date hostelry will be installed, including a
complete refrigeration plant and every labor-
saving device perfected within the last few
years. Special attention will be paid to the
service of meals in the rooms, a serving
room having been provided for this pur-
pose.

The barber shop, near the clubroom, will
have white tile wainscoting and floor, with
marble basins, and will be strictly up to
date in every particular.

Three banquet rooms and anterooms,
children's dining room, hat and cloak
rooms, ladies' cloak rooms, etc., will be on
the mezzanine floor. On this floor, also,
are twelve drummers' sample rooms, aver-
aging from 14 by 24 to 16 by 50 feet in
size, connected with baths and arranged es-
pecially for traveling salesmen who require
the best of accommodations.

On the second, third, fourth and fifth
floors are 292 bedrooms, varying in size
from 14 by 24 to 20 by 24 feet, and 150
bathrooms. When the sixth and seventh
floors are completed the hotel will contain
500 bedrooms and 300 bathrooms. The bed-
rooms, although simple, will be very beau-
tiful, finished and furnished in mahogany.
There will be a telephone service in all the
rooms, and all the principal rooms, as well
as the parlors throughout the building, will
be provided with a clock service regulated
by the Western Union Telegraph Company.
The bathrooms will be provided with tile
floors and wainscoting, built-in porcelain
tubs and lavatories of the very latest pat-
tern.

The basement will contain the power
plant, including two boilers supplying steam
for 10,000 square feet of radiating surface
in the building, as well as hot water, and



Hotel Oakland



287



there also will be located the bakery, store-
rooms, help's kitchen and dining rooms, em-
ployees' lockers, etc. It is so arranged that
the general stores come down on a sepa-
rate outside elevator and are checked and
distributed by a single man, cutting down
this cost of operation to a minimum.

Part of the basement will be so finished
that, should it be deemed advisable in the
future, Turkish baths may be installed.

The hotel will be provided with inclosed



fireproof staircases at the end of every hall,
and the American District Telegraph Com-
pany's fire alarm and watchman's signal
box service will be installed.

There is an additional merit most appro-
priate to a California caravansary in that
practically every room in the hotel will
receive sunshine at some part of the day
and all rooms will receive light direct from
the open street.




J^wkwmkvs^^^




288



Greater Oakland, 1911



Hotel St. Mark




HE largest and most promi-
nent of the commercial hotels
in Oakland in operation at
the present time is the Hotel
St. ]\Iark, located at the cor-
ner of Franklin and Twelfth Streets. This
fine structure was built in 1907, is eighv
stories in height and has 250 rooms. The
cost of construction was about $.300,000.

The hotel gets its name from Martin E.
Marks, who built it and who owns it. Mr.
Marks has spared no expense in the equip-
ment and furnishings of the hotel. The
hotel generates ils own electricity for light
and power and has its own wells and pump-
ing plant. Tlie 250 rooms are elegantly-
furnished in mahogany', fumed oak and wal-
nut, the furnishings alone costing over
$100,000. The structure is built of steel and
concrete and is absolutely fireproof.

The St. Mark has entertained many
guests of national reputation, among the
notables being Opie Reid, the well-known
novelist; Victor Aletcalf, while Secretary



of the Navy, during fhe visit of the fleet;
Wu Ting Fang, Chinese Minister, and
President Taft, in 1909.

The management of the hotel has always
been of the best. The hotel was opened by
Elmer F. Woodbury, formerly connected
with the Hotel Cadillac of New York, who
was succeeded by Richard M. Briare, for-
merly of the Palace Hotel of San Francisco
and late proprietor of the Metropole. The
hotel is now managed bj^ Martin E. Marks,
whose other business interests have been so
arranged that he is now able to give it his
entire attention.

One of the features of the hotel is its
excellent dining room. Its table d'hote
dinners and luncheors have become popular
with Oaklanders from all over the city.

The St. Mark has twenty-six large sample
rooms for the exclusive use of commercial
travelers, and there have recently been in-
stalled the best appointed Hammam B;iths.
in the citv.




Hotel St. Mark



389




290



Greater Oakland, 1911




E. C. DYER
Proprietor "Key Route Tnn"



Key Route Inn




NE of the most representative
hotels in the West is the Key
Route Inn, at Twenty-second
Street and Broadway, Oak-
land. It has several unique
features all its own, one of which is its
location at the terminal of the Key Route,
whose modern electric passenger cars glide
quietly in and out of a spacious covered
station directly in front of the hotel en-
trance, which really appears to be part of
the hotel itself.

The Key Route Inn has 160 rooms and is
conducted on both the European and Amer-
ican plans. The well-appointed dining
room overlooks the private park belonging
to the hotel. The general environment in
the matter of location and grounds, the man-
agement, cuisine and service leaves little to
be desired.



Mr. E. C. Dyer, who is the proprietor as
well as tlie active manager of the hotel, is
one of the best known and most efficient
hotel men in the country, and a gentleman
who always commands considerable patron-
age wherever he is located because of his
uniform courtesy, his polish and refinement,
and further, because he is a past master of
the hotel business from kitchen to roof.

Mr. Dyer at one time had practically
closed a business deal to lease the Fair-
mont Hotel of San Francisco.

Mr. Dyer was formerly connected with
the management of the Del Prado and Win-
dermere hotels in Chicago, and three years
ago was manager of the Buckingham in
St. Louis. No doubt Mr. Dyer will be
heard from in connection with some of the
new larger hotels in this vicinity in the
future.



Key Route Inn



291




292



Greater Oakland, 1911



Casa Rosa Apartments




NE of the best appointed and
most beautiful apartment
houses on the Pacific Coast
is the Casa Rosa, tlie prop-
erty of Mr. J. J. Kennedy of
this city.

The guests living there find a most agree-
able environment, with every device for
comfort and ease known to the designers
of buildings of this type and character.
Casa Rosa is completely furnished with
modern equipment; heat, cl ctric lights,
hot and cold water and vacuum house
sweepers are included in every apartment.
Each apartment also enjoys its own private
hall and private telephone.

Architect J. Cather Newson outdid him-
self in the designing of this structure, as
the architectural style is not only beautiful
but odd and unique and possesses an air
all its own. The building is 62 by 100 feet,
located on Market Street, opposite Fif-
teenth Street. Its location gives it the ad-
vantage of being convenient to the down-
town shopping district while still in one of



the most desirable residence districts of
Oakland.

There are fifty-four rooms; eighteen
apartments of three rooms each. All of
the apartments are roomy, clean and sani-
tary and leave little to be desired as to con-
venience, comfort and luxury. Complete
fire protection is given by four large exits;
an auxiliary protection against fire is the
big forty-four gallon chemical fire engine,
mounted on wheels and capable of taking
care of any emergency.

One of the unique features of the Casa
Rosa which has recently been added is a
beautiful roof garden, most artistically ar-
ranged with hanging baskets and flowers
for the further enjoyment of the guests.

Casa Rosa has only been opened two
years and everything is practically new. It
has been conducted as a strictly first-class
house and solicits nothing but the most
desirable tenants. With all its natural ad-
vantages, coupled with the congeniality and
able management of Mrs. H. O. Willson,
there is rarely an unoccupied apartment in
the house.




Casa Rosa Apartments



293




294



Greater Oakland, 1911



Peralta Apartments




HE handsome structure located
at the northeast corner of
Thirteenth and Jackson
Streets, the home of the Per-
alta Apartments, is conceded
by everyone to be one of the largest, one
of the most elegant and perfectly appointed
apartment hotels on the Pacific Coast.

It is conveniently located, four blocks
from Broadway and the shopping district
and three blocks from the Key Route and
Southern Pacific locals.

The Peralta is modern and up to date in
every respect. All the apartments are large,
sunny and beautifully furnished. There arc
no "inside" rooms, and every room has an
abundance of closet space and wide, light
halls. The house is equipped with dumb-
waiter service, steam heat, hot and cold



water, both telephones and two elevators.
There is a spacious children's playroom.

One of the important features of the
house is the big airy court, built on the
old Mission style, with promenade and 2
beautiful flower garden, which must be seen
to be appreciated. The Peralta also enjoys
the distinction of being the only apartment
house in Oakland which has its own grill
and dining room. The well-appointed din-
ing room is conducted on the American
plan and has a seating capacity of sixty
or seventy people.

The Peralta is situated in one of the most
beautiful residence districts in the city,
notwithstanding its proximity to the busi-
ness center. Lake Merritt is only a step
from its doors, and the new Bankers Hotel,
only two blocks west, is on the same street.




Peralta Apartments



295




296



Greater Oakland, 1911




GUSTAV MANN
Manager of The Forum Cafe



The Forum Cafe




HE FORUM CAFE, conceded
to be one of the handsomest
in America, is an institution
of the city in which center
the social, business and politi-
cal activities. It is magnificently appointed
for such purposes and figures as the setting
for dinners, luncheons and other functions
which are a feature of Oakland life. It is
in the evening that it presents a fascination
with its gay throngs of diners, which con-
tinues until the last of those who linger at
the after-theater suppers take up their de-
parture.

Its central location, on Broadway, near
Fourteenth Street, makes it convenient of
access from all parts of the city. While
retaining all the atmosphere of the Bohe-



mian it is conducted on the highest plane
and in point of service it has no superiors
on the Pacific Coast.

Mr. Gustav Mann, manager of the Forum,
is one of the notal)le hosts of the continent
and his association with the very foremost
institutions of the kind gives to his estab-
lishment a prestige and charm that has few
equals and is not surpassed.

Among the noteworthy features con-
nected with the Forum are the frequent
mercantile dinners and luncheons that are
given there, and it is undoubtedly due to
the influence exercised in the exchange of
ideas over the dinner table that has wrought
such a spirit of harmony among those who
have the influence to promote public in-
terest.



Forum Cafe



29?




298



Greater Oakland, 1911



The Cave

The Artistic Bohemia of Oakland



EW YORK CITY has its
Hoffman Bar, San Francisco's
Palace of Art was widely
known throughout the West,
and Oakland is in no wise
lacking- in this respect, for the Cave, occu-
pying the premises at 473 Eleventh Street,





D. KNABBE
Proprietor of "The Cave"

has achieved considerable fame among
travelers for its excellent and well chosen
works of art, and visitors can spend an
enjoyable and instructive hour in the in-
spection of the paintings that grace the
walls of this popular cafe, without cost or
price.

The canvas that demands immediate at-
tention upon entering the doors is Cooper's
"Precipice of Life," an immense picture,
10 by 14 feet. The eminent artist considers
this one of his greatest efforts, if not the
best of his life, notwithstanding the "Morn-



ing of the Crucifixion,' wliich i eceived hon-
orable mention at the World' j h'air in Chi-
cago and which has since been exhibited
throughout the United States, Canada and
Mexico.

Mr. Cooper's reputation as an artist of the
very liighest order needs no explanation,
and in this masterpiece he has excelled
himself. From a viewpoint, this painting
is startling. Grouped in the immediate fore-
ground and upon the verge of the precipice
are many noted historical characters, not-
ably Nero, the cruel emperor of Rome;
Mark Antony and Cleopatra, and Salome,
the beautiful daughter Herodias, who
danced before Herod, the king of the Jews,
for a favor, and her graceful dancing
pleased him so well that he promised to
grant any favor she might ask; forthwith
her mother requested that she ask for the
head of John the Baptist, by whom she had
been scorned, which was later served her
upon a silver salver. This figure is one of
the most graceful of the group.

Standing in graceful poses and close to
Salome are Mark Antony and the dark-
haired queen of Egypt, Cleopatra, in a flood
of lurid orange light, coming from below,
where you see a glimpse of the infernal re-
gions. The effect of the light on the two
figures is apparently real, and one can
scarcely believe it simply painted.

Sitting near a high bronze brazier is Nero,
holding aloft a golden goblet, drinking to
the health of a Grecian general. His cos-
tume is of lilac and his feet are resting upon
a leopard skin.

In the middle distance are beautiful
Grecian maidens grouped about a large vase,
from which they are serving wine. Many
other splendid figures are skilfully arranged
to carry out the composition of light and
shade, from the midst of which rises Satan,
mounted on a black horse and followed by
a shrouded figure of Death bearing aloft the
scythe, "perennial reaper of Time."

Far to the right and upon the summit of
a hill can be seen the figure of Christ bear-
ing the cross, and an angel kissing the hem
of His garment; and below, toiling up the



Cave Cafe



299




300



Greater Oakland, 1911



ascent, are numerous figures following in
His footsteps over the rough and gloomy
road, who, tired and sickened at the scenes
of luxury and dissipation below, are strug-
gling and watching the figure with the
cross.

This painting must be seen to be appre-
ciated.

Another painting well worth seeing is en-
titled "Equality," by A. D. M. Cooper, a
remarkable conception and splendidly exe-
cuted. This painting is a sermon in itself;
it grips the attention of the beholder im-
mediatel}' and he soon finds himself in deep
reflection as to the whole philosophy of
life.



toral scene executed in masterly style. The
natural effect produced in this picture as to
lights and shades and distances is really
remarkable.

The gentleman who is responsible for
bringing this exceptional collection of
paintings to Oakland for the public to see
and enjoy, and at the expense of thousands
of dollars, is Mr. D. Knabbe, who has con-
ducted his establishment at its present lo-
cality for the past twenty-one years. Mr.
Knabbe is a native of Germany, having been
born on January 7th, 1866. He came to
America in his early youth and settled in
the West. It was over twenty-five years
ago that he decided to make Oakland his




" Equality." Taken from Painting Himg in " Cave '



"Hannoversche Heide," by the noted
German artist, Prof. F. Hoffman, Falers-
leben, has for its subject an old German
homestead. The subject of this picture is
so rare in this new western empire, and is
so typically a German scene, that every son
of the Fatherland should see it; the scene
will be recognized immediately. This pic-
ture won the gold medal at the Interna-
tional Exhibition of Art at Vienna and was
purchased in Germany by the present
owner.

"Bremer Heide," by J. Harders, is a beau-
tiful landscape, with wonderful perspective
of distances, and represents a peaceful pas-



permanent home, and he has no reason to
regret his choice of location, because dur-
ing his long residence here he has made
many firm friends and is now known to be
one of the active boosters for his adopted
city.

The Cave bar is excellently equipped with
a most complete variety of wines, cordials
and liquors. The attendants are uniformly
courteous and understand their business
thoroughly. A feature of the Cave is its
beautiful mosaic floor, designed by Mr.
Knabbe himself and of a most unique and
beautiful pattern.



Cave Cafe



301




Bremer Heide " from Painting hung in Cave Cafe





Taken from painting "Hannoveresche Heide," hung in Cave Cafe.



302



Greater Oakland, 1911



Colonial Cafeterias

409-1 I Thirteenth Street and 581 Twelfth Street




AKLANDERS have found in
the Colonial Cafeterias a re-
freshing departure from the
usual so-called popular res-
taurants. In the first place,
the cafeterias are managed and owned by
ladies, the cooks and attendants are
women, and that is the reason the hungry
public so thoroughly appreciate the tasty



Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 17 of 30)