Copyright
Evarts I. Blake.

Greater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. online

. (page 18 of 30)
Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 18 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and dainty dishes served there, which can
come only from the feminine hand.

Mrs. S. G. Hammond, Mrs. H. H.
Crane and Miss J. M. Hammond are the
owners and managers of the cafeterias
and deserve great credit for the executive
ability they have shown in the manage-
ment of a really big business enterprise.
They have insisted on absolute cleanliness,
both in the kitchen and dining rooms, and
diners depart feeling that they have
lunched just as well as at "home."

In the cafeterias the food is displayed
on cleanly counters and steam tables, and
all the guests are required to do is to
select the dishes that appeal most strongly
to their individual tastes and be helped to
them. The young women at the serving
tables are always cheerful, courteous and
obliging, and as a result the busy man can
dine and get back to his work in an in-
credibly short time.

Notwithstanding the dismal predictions
of many people on the street that the cafe-



terias "would not last six months," they
have been pre eminently successful; in
fact, the Thirteenth Street place is about
to be enlarged and handsomely remodeled
in white and blue, and will soon be the
brightest, cleanest and most cheerful pop-
ular dining room in Oakland, as well as
the largest.

The present seating capacity of the cafe-
teria on Thirteenth Street is about one
hundred and seventy-five, with a floor
space of 90x40 feet. The one on Twelfth
Street seats in the neighborhood of one
hundred people. They were established
in February and November, 1909, and the
business has grown steadily from the start;
the cafeterias furnish employment to about
thirty people at the present time, and the
number will soon be materially increased.

The lady proprietors have earned and
received a great many compliments on the
manner in which the business is conducted,
and when the interviewer, in gathering
material for this volume, asked as to what
in particular they attributed the success of
the cafeterias, they stated that there is no
great secret. "We are simply housekeep-
ing on a large scale; we have demonstrated
that the public appreciate clean home cook-
ing, popular prices, and quick and courte-
ous service, and when you have something
people want, success follows naturally."



Colonial Cafeterias



303




306



Greater Oakland, 1911



University of California — The Pride of the We^



By President Benjamin Ide Wheeler




HE last biennial period of the
Universitj' of California has
brought many changes in the
line of progress. First, as re-
gards the number of students:
in J 908 there were in the colleges at Berk-
eley 2,916 — the number of graduate students
was 324; whereas in 1910 there were 3,352
students at Berkeley, including 425 graduate
students. On November 1 of last year the
net total of all students in the university
was 4,226, or, if we add the summer ses-
sion, deducting duplicates, and also the
short course in the farm school and uni-
versity extension, we have a grand total of
5829. This is the number of persons who
are being reached for purposes of instruc-
tion by the university.

During this period has been erected the
Doe Library building. The final plan has
not been completed and will not be prob-
ably for a dozen years or more. The
building will provide space for 350,000 vol-
umes. That portion of the building which
is now complete is built from the bequest
of Charles Franklin Doe, at an expense
of about $750,000, and $200,000 has been
added from university funds to equip and
furnish it. During this period has been
erected also the Boalt Memorial Hall of
Law, the gift of Mrs. Elizabeth Boalt and
lawyers of the State of California. A new
and much needed agricultural building,
upon which $300,000 will be expended, has
been begun. A large temporary building
has been built for pathology and bacteri-
ology. A zoological museum has been
erected to store the rich collections given
to the university by Miss Annie M. Alex-
ander. The student infirmary has been en-
larged by the addition of a wing used both
as dispensary and clinic. This infirmary
has come to be a great blessing to the uni-
versity; usually more than a hundred
students a day receive treatment there and



on an average ten are in bed. Five nurses
and three physicians are employed. Sather
gate at the Telegraph Avenue entrance has
been erected at a cost of $40,000. An addi-
tion to the architecture building has been
provided, more than doubling its floor
space. The department of architecture is
rapidly assuming form as an important part
of the university. Six tennis courts for the
students have been built with monies de-
rived from the students' gymnasium fees,
and there are now nine courts in all open
to the students. Two hundred and fifty
acres of land, constituting the main lower
portion of Strawberry Canyon, have been
acquired and added to the university do
main. This constitutes not only a protec-
tion to the university from the rear, but
will provide a water supply, particularly as
protection against fire.

Improvements for the Students.

In the canyon has been established a rifle
range for the university cadets. There has
been constructed also a great swimming
pool 187 feet long for the use of the students
in the university. During this period also
has been established the farm school at
Davis. Every term more students come to
it. Its purpose is to prepare for the work
of the farm boys who are to be farmers
The farm has been equipped with some foui-
teen buildings, and is already well installed
in its beneficent work for the farming com-
munity. Students in the regular agricul
tural courses go to this farm for periods of
several weeks to take courses which can
only be given to advantage on the farm,
such as courses in animal industry, dairy
practice, farm practice, use of tools, tests
of live stock, etc. The farm serves further-
more the purpose of agricultural investiga-
tion. Here have been conducted the famous
investigations of Dr. Shaw, which are pro-
ducing a new seed wheat for the use of



University of California



307




308



Greater Oakland, 1911



the State which will add millions to the an-
nual income of California. The agricultural
demonstration train has been introduced.
It has gone up and down the State in-
structing the people and giving demonstra-
tions of the use of farm machinery, etc., by
the use of cars equipped as laboratories
and museums; 73,000 people last year visited
this train. A laboratory has been pro-
vided for the marine biological station at
La Jolla, near San Diego, the gift of Miss
Ellen B. Scripps. A finely equipped seismo-
logical station, than which there is no
better station in the country, has been es-
tablished on the grounds of the university.
The university's scientific publications have
been greatly extended, so that we are placed
on a basis of exchange with some 700 dif-
ferent universities and learned societies
throughout the world. The Kearney estate
of 5,400 acres has been taken over into the
possession of the university. This is the
gift of Mr. M. Theodore Kearney, and will
ultimately be used for the support of agri-
cultural investigation and instruction, both
in the form of short courses and prob-
ably of a school at Fresno. The admin-
istrative machinery of the university has
been widely reorganized. The students
have developed their system of self-gov-
ernment more fully every year and during
recent years it has come into very com-
plete and beneficent activity, taking charge,
on the basis of student honor, of the class
examinations.

Plans for Enlarging University.
The greatest need of the university at
present remains the provision of buildings



large enough to house the great body of
students now assembled. The old build-
ings were provided for a college of five or
six hundred and have to do duty today for
an institution of 3,500. The first great need
is a building to replace North Hall at the
northeast corner of the library building.
The present building has done good service,
but is worn out and weakened. Standing
as it does in close proximity to the new
library, it is a fire peril. Geology, paleon-
tology and mineralogy demand new quarters.
So does botany; so does zoology. The
chemical laboratory is forced to do service
for five times as many students as it was
originally constructed for. On every hand
there is need, but the splendid spirit of
faculty and students in working on among
existing conditions has made it possible to
do things that ordinarily could not have
been done. But we are asking too much
patience on their part. The students come
from high schools where there is plenty of
room and admirable equipment and find,
especially in the laboratories of physics,
chemistry and botany, everything over-
crowded. The pioneers of California who
founded the university wished for an insti-
tution where their children could ■ obtain
as good an education as that offered by the
institutions of the East. They desired that
their children should not suffer from isola-
tion from the homes of their forefathers.
It behooves us that nothing but the best
should be provided for California. It is a
long task to build a university, but we are
proceeding steadily toward the goal which
is the fulfillment of the founders' ideals.



University of California



309



Greek Theater, Known All Over The World

Past Year Has Seen Wonderful Advancement

In Completing the Building Scheme of the State University — Agricultural Hall

is Now Under Construction — Doe and Boalt Hall Built




HE Hearst architectural plan is
being gradually realized in
artistic and enduring stone
piles on the University of
California campus. The past
year has seen active progress toward the
better material housing of the institution
through the generosity of private bene-
factors.

The new University library, built from
Charle? Franklin Doe's bequest, and Boalt
Hall of Law, the gift of Mrs. Elizabeth Jos-
selyn Boalt and the lawyers of California,
will be completed early in 1911. The Sather
gate, reared by the munificence of Mrs.
Jane K. Sather, has been completed, save
for the decorative sculptures for which her
gift has made special provision.

Work has begun on Agricultural Hall,
planned to be built from the permanent
building fund and planned to relieve some-
what the congestion brought about by the
rapid expansion of instruction and research
in agriculture. An extension has also been
built to provide space for the pure food
laboratory of the State Board of Health, a
work of vast importance to the people of
the State. A roadway of permanent con-
struction has been built from the Sather
gate to the new library.

California Hall Part of Plan.

California Hall was first ready for occu-
pancj' in the autumn of 1903. It was built
at a cost of $250,000, appropriated for the
purpose by the State legislature, and is one
of the buildings provided for in the Phoebe
A. Hearst architectural plan. Its site is at
the right of Boalt Hall facing west. The
Hall of Philosophy will similarly flank
Boalt Hall on the left. The first floor of



the building is given over in chief measure
to the departments of history and econom-
ics. The administrative offices are all situ-
ate on the second floor, and here also are
the faculty room and the offices of the de-
partment of education. For the present the
Academy of Pacific Coast History has its
home in the attic of California Hall, but
in due course the Academy, with the Ban-
croft Library, will be housed in the new
Doe Library Building.

Hearst Memorial Mining Building,

The cornerstone of the Hearst Memorial
Building was laid on November 19, 1902.
The building was formally opened and dedi-
cated on the afternoon of August 23, 1907.
It has been described by President Wheeler
as "not only the largest but the most com-
pletely equipped building devoted exclu-
sively to the study of mining engineering
in the world." In the drawing of the plans
Professor John Galen Howard worked in
constant conference with Dr. S. B. Christy,
the dean of the mining college. Between
them these two men visited nearly every
mining and technical school of rank in the
old world and the new. It was intended
that the building should be useful and beau-
tiful; but the beauty, as Architect Howard
said, was sought "not by easy masquerade
and putting on of architectural stuff, but by
organic composition; we have in all frank-
ness chosen character rather than mere
prettiness as the end to be reached, sure
that the highest beauty is to be derived
from organically right foundations, not
free from any kind of surface scorings or
plasterings." The administrative and more
public parts of the building are in the front
and south portion. The most important of



310



Greater Oakland, 1911



these artistically is the great memorial ves-
tibule museum occupying the center of the
south facade, lighted by three great arches
and running through three stories to the
roof, where also light enters through three
low domes. To right and left from the
vestibule lead grand staircases. East and
west of the main vestibule on both first and
second stories are administrative offices and
lecture rooms. Three wings extend north
from this southern suite of rooms. The
central space, which is the "core and heart
of the building," is a great court to be de-
voted to the purposes of the mining labora-
tor3^ The east and west wings on the ex-
terior, corresponding to the central court
on the interior, are arranged for metallur-
gical laboratories and for special and re-
search laboratories. Above these are the
drafting rooms. The northern end of the
building is occupied in the center by the
dry crushing tower, on the east by the cop-
per and lead smelting laboratory, and on
the west by the gold and silver mill. The
building is the gift of Mrs. Phoebe A.
Hearst, and is erected in memory of her
husband. Its cost was $640,000. It is, of
course, one of the buildings provided for in
the Hearst plans for the greater university.
Greek Theater Musical Center.

The Greek Theater was formally dedi-
cated on September 24, 1903, when ad-
dresses were delivered by Ben Weed, who
first discovered the site; Professor John
Galen Howard, the architect; President
Wheeler and William Randolph Hearst,
the donor. There followed a presentation
by the students of the university of the
"Birds of Aristophanes." The Theater has
since been very largely the center of the
musical and dramatic activities of the uni-
versity as well as the places of assembly,
when weather permits, for great occasions
such as Charter Day and Commencement.
Its seating capacity is something over 8,000,
and its cost was $47,000. It is again one
of the structures provided for in the plans
for the greater university.

The cornerstone of the Doe Memorial
Library was laid on Thanksgiving Day of
1908 in the presence of the assembled fac-
ulty, students and friends of the university.
Addresses were delivered by the librarian,
Mr, J. C. Rowell, Mr. Loring B. Doe, and



President Wheeler. The building repre-
sents a gift of over $664,000, being the be-
quest of Mr. Charles Franklin Doe. One
of its most distinctive features is the great
reading room with its gentle northern light.
There will be almost unlimited provision
in the building for books, not only of the
general library, but of the Bancroft collec-
tion, which will have special quarters there.
.\n extensive series of seminary rooms are
provided. A feature of the building is the
great north facade, of which one has an ex-
cellent view from the road entering the
university grounds from North Berkeley.
The building stands just to the right of
California Hall, facing north, and is a mem-
ber of the permanent group.

Boalt Hall of Law.

Boalt Hall of Law will be occupied, with
the opening of the next semester, by the
law department of the university. On the
first and sub-floor are the law club rooms
and the lecture rooms. The second floor is
occupied by Lawyers' Memorial Hall, com-
prising the reading hall, the conference
rooms, the stacks, the studies of professors
and the lawyers' room. In the latter any
lawyer of the State desiring to use the great
library, which it is hoped will be gathered
here, may be accommodated. The Hall is
by universal consent one of the most pleas-
ing on the campus, both outside and in.
It is erected at a cost of $150,000, $100,000
of which was provided by Mrs. Elizabeth
Boalt and the rest by gift of the legal pro-
fession of the State. It belongs to the
group of permanent buildings of the greater
university.

Agriculture Hall Started.

The Agriculture Building, to cost approx-
imately $300,000, is now in process of con-
struction. In its exterior the building is
suggestive of the type of architecture of
the north Italian country. Like other build-
ings of the Phoebe A. Hearst plan, the hall
is to be of white granite with red roofs of
mission tile. It will represent the highest
development of modern fire-resistive con-
struction. The frame will be of steel fire-
proofed in concrete. The building will
measure 162 by 64 feet in size. On the
main floor will be a lecture room with ris-



University of California



311



ing tiers of seats, a museum corridor to
house collections of the department likely
to be of interest to visitors; an agricultural
library; a laboratory of horticulture and
viticulture, and the offices of Professor E.
J. Wickson. Laboratories, lecture rooms,
and apparatus rooms and four studies for
professors will occupy the second floor.
The basement floor will contain a labora-
tory for experimental work in questions
connected with the treatment of plant dis-
eases by spraying, and a mailing room, a
lecture room, two faculty studies, etc. As
soon as completed the building will be fully
occupied, and it will be necessary to pro-
ceed almost immediately to construct one
of the two wings which are included in the
final plan of the building.

North Hall Ancient Structure.

North Hall is one of the oldest structures
on the campus. It is a building of wood.
It has long been a favorite with the stu-
dents, and North Hall steps have become
by tradition the place of assembly of upper
classmen. The building contains many
class rooms, where instruction in the lan-
guages, in law, in English and in the clas-
sics has hitherto been given. It will house
at one time somewhere about 2,000 students,



but it is weakened by age and thoroughly
outworn, and in its present site is a con-
stant menace in case of fire to the Doe
Library building. It should be removed and
replaced by a newer general recitation
building to be constructed in accordance
with the Hearst plans and to co«t about
$300,000.

South Hall Still Useful.

South Hall is of brick. It has no place
in the Hearst plan, but it must serve for a
half century or more. It is now occupied
by the departments of physics, geology and
mineralogy. The administration offices for-
merly had their place on the first floor. All
the departments now located there are
sorely pressed for room, and must before
the lapse of many years be provided with
accommodation elsewhere.

East Hall, a wooden building, is now oc-
cupied by the departments of zoology and
drawing. The rapid expansion in the re-
search and instruction of the former depart-
ment demands, however, that the depart-
ment of drawing be soon given space else-
where. It is possible that a wing will be
added to the present architectural building
at the north entrance to the university.



312



Greater Oakland, 1911




Public Schools of Oakland



313




314



Greater Oakianu, ]91i



Oakland Conservatory of Music



HE Oakland Conservatory of
Music, now recognized as the
leading school of genuine
musical instruction on the Pa-
cific Coast, was founded Janu-
ary 1, 18&9, by its present director, Profes-
sor Adolf Gregory. The school was started
in two small rooms in the Blake Block on




i I



A Corner in the L,ibrary

Washington Street. In a few months, how-
ever, the classes had outgrown these accom-
modations and more commodious quarters
had to be secured in the same building. The
school increased steadily for five years, each
year necessitating the addition of more
rooms until in 1905 it became necessary to
move into still larger quarters, as it was
impossible to secure any more studios in
the building then occupied by the Conser-
vatory, Mr. Gregory selected a large resi-
dence at the southeast corner of Fourteenth
and Madison Streets, which he bought out-
right. In two years more, however, the
school had again outgrown its quarters and
the property was sold at considerable profit
and a larger building at the corner of
Twelfth and Jackson Streets was secured.
After two years more of unusual progress
this commodious building proved also too
cramped for the rapidly expanding institu-



tion and the ever increasing patronage and
still larger headquarters had to be looked
for. Mr. Gregory's search finally proved
successful and the new building now occu-
pied by the Conservatory stands within
magnificent grounds at the corner of Thir-
teenth and Madison Streets, just opposite
the lot on which the first distinct building
of the Conservatory was situated.

No expense has been spared in making
this building most desirable in every detail.
It contains twenty-four large and hand-
somely appointed studios. The three main
studios on the ground floor are so situated
that they can be changed into one large
recital hall with a seating accommodation
of between three and four hundred, making
it convenient for pupils' musicales and the
regular academnias, all of which may thus
be held in the Conservatory, without the
necessity of renting outside halls for that
purpose.

There are also large class rooms for har-
mony and orchestral practice. Since its
foundation over 4.000 students have regis-




The Coii.servatory Office

iercd at the Conservatory and each year
some new and especial advantage appertain-
ing to a regular conservatory course of
stud'CS iias been added. This year the al



Oakland Conservatory of ^[usic



315




316



Greater Oakland, 1911




of success. He is a native of England, his
birth having occurred at Chester, where, as
a chorister in thr catliedral, the foundation
of his musical career was laid. He after-
ward studied in London under the guidance
of leading musicians of the day, continuing
his studies later for eight years in Italy,
at Milan and other leading musical centers.
In the direction of the Conservatory he
is ably assisted by his wife, Mrs. Florence
E. Gregory, and a faculty of twenty-five ac-
complished instructors. All branches of
music, vocal, instrumental and theoretical,
are efificiently taught in the Conservatory.



One of the many Studios



ready extensive library has been augmented
so that it now contains over ten thousand
dollars' worth of full orchestral scores and
all other important works dealing with the
esthetic, scientific, technical and emotional
phase of music. A new pipe organ has also
been installed, making it more convenient
for practice for students of that instrument.
Adolf Gregory's identification with this
successful institution has placed him among
the citizens of Oakland as an upbuilder of
our beautiful city. He has brought to bear
in his work an inheritance of ability and
training which could not but be productive




Harmony Clas.s Room




Oakland Conservatory of Music



317




318



Greater Oakland, 1911




Heald's Business College

OAKLAND. CALIFORNIA




MONG the many institutions
which reflect credit on the
city of Oakland none stand
higher in the estimation of
our people than the above-
named business college, which is a part of
the school bearing that name which has for
the past forty-eight years been educating
the youth of this country for commercial
pursuits. This college has turned out thou-
sands of boys and girls who have reflected
credit to Oakland, to California and to the
school.

Heald's Business College has played a
conspicuous part in the development of
California and the Pacific Coast because its
influence has touched the lives of so many
prominent men and women. The school
has steadily grown until it is now a power-
ful influence in molding the characters of



the young people of the Pacific Coast. Its
growth has been constant and substantial,
every year adding to its influence, its popu-



Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 18 of 30)