Copyright
Evarts I. Blake.

Greater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. online

. (page 6 of 30)
Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 6 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


amount of $70,438,302.41.

These funds were provided as follows:
$48,008,144.82 were proceeds, with interest,
of the sale of $50,000,000 of its first mort-
gage 5 per cent thirty-year gold bonds;
$18,784,333.40 were the proceeds, with in-
terest, from the sale of $25,000,000 second
mortgage 5 per cent gold bonds sold to
the Denver and Rio Grande Company, and
$4,606,412.01 were advanced by the Denver
and Rio Grande Company.

The marked feature of this great enter-
prise of which Mr. Jefifery is president,
and one which should impress the public
generally, is that it has been built without
subsidies or donations of any kind or
character. It has paid for every foot of
its right of way and every part of its
station grounds and terminal facilities.
This is in strong contrast with the old
Central Pacific, now a part of the Southern
Pacific system, which was subsidized so
liberally by the general government with
bonds and land grants, that large fortunes
were made by its promoters.

Mr. Jefifery deserves practically all the
credit for the inception, the financing, the
engineering features and the proper equip-
ping of the Western Pacific, and he is now
hopefully exerting himself to build up its
traffic and make it a self-sustaining prop-
erty.

Where the Sierra Nevada spread out to
the northward like a feather, three rivers,
each called a fork of the Feather River,
have their sources a mile and a half
above sea level, and then through the



cleft in the granite rocks drop their wa-
ters down to the low altitude of the
great fertile valleys of Central California.

The canyons which the rivers follow are
without valleys. Generally there is just
room for the tempestuous stream. The
sides of the canyons are nearly perpen-
dicular, rising frequently to the timber
line above the stream, which tumbles and
boils at their base. They are crooked,
as Nature almost always breaks its chasms
in the solid rocks. Somewhere Nature
snugly concealed pure gold in the course
of the streams from the mountain tops to
the valleys below.

The roughest and most picturesque of
the canyons of the Feather River, the
one known as the North Fork, was se-
lected by the new Western Pacific as its
gateway into the valleys of the central
portion of the Golden State. The pass
leading to it was one of the lowest of
the Sierra Nevada. With a tunnel about
6,000 feet long, this pass was crossed at an
elevation of a little over 5,000 feet. Then
the engineers laying the lines ran them
to the headwaters of the Feather River,
famous from the days of the gold excite-
ment in California history.

There followed one of the most exacting
pieces of railroad engineering to be found
anywhere. The engineers were under im-
perative orders that they must not lay out
grades over 1 per cent. At no point
through the 150 miles of canyon before
them must the track drop over 53 feet to
the mile.

At many places the drop was far greater
than that. Again, it was much less. A
series of waterfalls carried the river
toward sea level at a prodigious pace.
But whether the fall was great, or little
more than to give a current to a narrow
and crooked stream, the railroad grade
must remain the same.

To accomplish their aim the engineers
at times cut their lines in solid rock hun-
dreds of feet above the river. Again, the
tracks are only just high enough to escape
the torrential current of the river, when
the river rises forty-five to fifty feet over
night.

At many points on the line of the new
Western Pacific Railroad there was not



72



Greater Oakland, 1911




Western Pacific



73



room enough in the canyon for both river
and railroad, and solid walls of masonry
had to be built to carry the tracks above
the stream. At other points the sharp
curves in the canyon have sent the tracks
back and forth from one side to the other
on steel bridges and high trestles.

In building the line, material and work-
men frequently had to be let down the
sides of the canyon by ropes hundreds of
feet in length to start construction on new
sections. Wagon roads are everywhere
impossible.

At last, after endless turnings and twists
in fighting its way through 150 miles of
the canyon, the tracks come out into the
broad valley at Oroville, over which, for
countless ages, the Feather River has
poured debris from its mountain fast-
nesses.

So much gold did the river bring down
that the soil down to the solid bedrock is
being dug up by dredges and washed for
its gold. Beautiful orange orchards, large
tracts of land given over to olives and
other fruits, are being now torn to pieces
in the ceaseless hunt for gold.

That metal is being found in such quan-
tities in the debris of ages from the
Feather River that the miners are begin-
ning to rival in their wealth the pioneers
in the goldfields of the State.

In startling contrast to this long stretch
of canyon scenery is the great salt desert
through which the new road runs after
leaving Salt Lake City. This desert is
sixty miles long and fifteen miles wide,
composed of rock salt 97 per cent pure.

Right through the center of it the engi-
neers of the road ran their lines, and
for forty-six miles there is not a curve in
the tracks. The ties are laid on a bed of
solid salt, two or three feet above the
level of the plain. The salt looks like a
field of ice and snow, and it is difficult
for the traveler to realize that his train
is not passing through a wintry scene of
the far North.

When the engineers laid out the line
four years ago they followed the same
course in crossing the southern end of
Great Salt Lake. For years that myster-
ious body of water had been drying up.
Its waters receded every season hundreds
of feet, and it was predicted that before



many more years Great Salt Lake would
have disappeared. And so with the ut-
most confidence the engineers laid their
tracks over its old bed.

Then Nature changed its mind in regard
to drying up the great lake. It sent a
flood of water into it from somewhere,
and soon the waters came up around the
newly built tracks.

Then one day there came a furious
storm from the North and when it was
over there were many miles of the new
tracks, not yet tested by other than con-
struction trains, scattered and twisted amid
the saline scenery. When this track was
rebuilt the engineers saw that it was pro-
tected, this time by countless trainloads of
broken rock dumped on either side of the
tracks.

The first passenger train was sent over
the new transcontinental road, the West-
ern Pacific, about a year ago, and it is
now open to traffic. Passing through an
undeveloped region most of the way from
Salt Lake City to San Francisco, great
things are expected of the new line, which
has promised to work wonders in the face
of a country which for the most part has
been little affected by the tremendous
growth on all sides of it.

This has been due, it is said, to the
meager transportation, and distances to
market were prohibitory. The new region
thus opened for development is larger than
many European principalities, and will
support a large population when its re-
sources receive due attention.

The importance of the new Western
Pacific Railroad's extension westward from
Salt Lake City to San Francisco lies in the
fact that by the connection of the Denver
and Rio Grande Railroad at Salt Lake
City it makes a line of aflfiliated railroads
from Pittsburg and Detroit to the Pacific
Coast.

The length of the Western Pacific from
Salt Lake City to San Francisco is 927
miles, including four miles of ferry from
Oakland to San Francisco. It crosses Ne-
vada in its most popular section, passes
into California and reaches San Francisco
by way of Oroville, Marysville, Sacra-
mento, Stockton and Oakland.

The Western Pacific extends through a
section of the country that in many parts



74



Greater Oakland, 1911




Western Pacific



75




WESTERN PACfFIC




Western Pacific Ticket OflSce, Oakland, California



has received no addition to its transpor-
tation agencies since the first Pacific road
was opened forty years ago. Its remark-
able features are low grades, permanent
construction and freedom from snow drifts.
This new road opens up a vast agricul-
tural, fruit, timber and mineral territory
to a ready market, and has exceedingly
valuable terminals at San Francisco, on
both sides of the bay, especially adapted
to the development of commerce with the
Orient.



The cities of central California confi-
dently expect a prosperity equal to that
of Los Angeles and San Diego from the
building of this line to Eastern markets.
There was greater excitement over the
coming of the first train at many of the
cities of the central part of the State than
marked the opening of the Central Pacific
some forty years before. Oakland sus-
pended business entirely for the day and
Sacramento had a great celebration.



76



Greater Oakland, 1911




Western Pacific



77




W. B. TOWNSEND

District Freight and Passenger Agent
Western Pacific Company



78



Greater Oakland, 1911



W. B. Townsend



W. B. Townsend, present District Freight
and Passenger Agent of the Western Pa-
cific Railway at Oakland, started in at the
age of eighteen as official photographer
for the Missouri Pacific Railway, at St.
Louis. After putting in two years taking
photographs of all industries, depots, etc.,
of the Missouri Pacific system, he was ap-
pointed Traveling Passenger Agent of the
Missouri Pacific and St. Louis, Iron Moun-
tain & Southern Railways, at Memphis.
From Memphis he was transferred as Trav-
eling Passenger Agent at Chicago for the
Missouri Pacific system.

Immediately after the peace treaty be-
ing passed with the Spaniards after the
Cuban War, Mr. Townsend signed a large
contract with the N. D. Thompson Pub-
lishing Company and the St. Louis Re-
publican to visit Cuba, Isle of Pines, Porto
Rico, Sandwich Islands and the Philip-
pines and take some three thousand pic-
tures, showing the island possessions of
the United States as they were immediately
after the war, and writing upon conditions
of the country at that time. This took a
year and a half to accomplish and resulted
in the publication of a thousand-page book
called "Our Island Possessions and Their
People," which was sold extensively in
connection with newspapers throughout all
parts of the United States.

After completing this trip, Mr. Townsend
was appointed Superintendent of the South-
western Railway Advertising and Distribut-
ing Company at St. Louis, that company
distributing railway advertising matter
throughout the States of Missouri, Illinois,



Kansas, Nebraska, Texas and Louisiana.

January 1, 1902, Mr. Townsend was ap-
pointed Traveling Passenger Agent for the
Rock Island Railway, at Buflfalo, where he
remained during the BufTalo Exposition.
From that point he was transferred as
Traveling Passenger Agent of the Rock
Island Railway at Salt Lake City. He re-
signed this position to take that of Con-
tracting Freight Agent for the Missouri
Pacific Railway at San Francisco. From
this he was appointed Traveling Freight
and Passenger Agent of the Denver & Rio
Grande, at San Francisco, and later Dis-
trict Freight and Passenger Agent of the
D. & R. G., Missouri Pacific and Texas
& Pacific Railways, at San Jose, and later
was again transferred to San Francisco, and
July 1, 1910, was appointed District Freight
and Passenger Agent of the Western Pa-
cific and Denver & Rio Grande Railways,
at Oakland.

Mr. Townsend has been a railroadman,
newspaperman, in the advertising business,
and photographer, and in all his various
residences throughout the United States
likes Oakland better than any other previ-
ous home.

He married a California girl. Miss Leila
McKillican, daughter of Robert McKilli-
can, a prominent contractor of Oakland,
and owns a handsome little bungalow at
the foot of Paru Street, in Alameda.

Mr. Townsend is a member of the En-
cinal Yacht Club, the Athenian Club, of
Oakland, the Nile Club, the Shriners' Club,
Apollo Lodge of Masons, and California
Commandery, San Francisco.




Santa Fe



79




Santa Fe Depot, 40th and San Pablo Ave., Oakland, California



Santa Fe System




HEN the history of the pres-
ent era of development of tlie
city of Oakland is written
there should be a chapter de-
voted to the part which the
Santa Fe Railroad has played in this most
interesting drama of modern Western life.
Through the story of Oakland's struggle
from the days of depression and the condi-
tion of a flag station on the line of travel
and transportation; from the days of being
regarded as merely a suburb of the older
city across the bay, to a position and times
where her individuality and distinctive char-



acter is acknowledged by the whole world,
there runs a strain that has become more
and more dominant as the pulse of com-
mercial and industrial activity became
stronger. That growing and predominating
tone came from the pulsing of the engines
that draw the commerce of two continents
to and from the waterfront of Oakland.
The railroad managers saw the Oakland of
the future and they began to build in such
wise that they might be in a position to
take part in the development that their
clear vision showed them was coming. This
development and this prescience, while it



80



Greater Oakland, 1911




Santa Fe



81



was mere "business" with the railroad peo-
ple, meant more than the coming of the
iron tracks to Oakland, because it gave her
own citizens and the outside world faith in
her destiny. The Santa Fe played a most
important part in that work of showing the
faith of large interests in Oakland. Through
this close connection the past histor.y and
future development of the city of Oakland
and that of the Santa Fe Railroad system



increasing importance of the city. In either
case, the railroad and the city of Oakland
marched shoulder to shoulder, and under
the same flag of progress battled for the
betterment of the metropolis of the east bay
shore.

The coming of the Atchison, Topeka and
Santa Fe Railroad into Central California
dates back to 1884, when under a contract
with the Southern Pacific the trains of the




Interior Santa Fe Ticket Office, Oakland



have become interwoven. The things which
work for the upbuilding of Oakland will
work for the increase of the importance of
the Santa Fe Railroad.

The principal events in the history of the
coming of the Santa Fe Railroad to Oak-
land are associated with distinct moves for-
ward by this city. It matters not whether
the forward moves of Oakland were caused
by the acts of the railroad or whether it
was the other way about and the railroad
provided additional facilities because of the



Santa Fe ran from Needles to Mojave.
Under the arrangement made at that time,
the Santa Fe issued its own tickets and
bills of lading at California terminals вАФ Oak-
land, San Francisco and Stockton. In 1886,
when the great transcontinental passenger
rate war was on, the Santa Fe was in a situ-
ation to take advantage of it and the busi-
ness to and from Oakland swelled to a large
volume. The Santa Fe Railroad Company
has had a ticket oflfice in Oakland on Broad-
way since January, 1887. In fact, the Santa



82



Greater Oakland, 1911




Santa Fe



83




84



Greater Oakland, IDII



Fe road was the pioneer in providing such
facilities for the traveling public.

On July ]. 1900, the Santa Fe operated its
first trains into and out of Richmond. This
signalized the reaching of the bay of San
Francisco by a line which had started orig-
inally on the Missouri River for the purpose
of giving means of communication with To-
peka, thirty miles away. Coming to Rich-



Oakland which has since astonished the
world.

The future was to prove, however, that
the Santa Fe was to more closely identify
its interests with those of Oakland, and on
May 1, 1911, a new freight depot was opened
at Twentieth and Adeline Streets, within fif-
teen blocks of the business center at Four-
teenth and Broadway.




Santa Fe Freight Yards, Oakland



mond, however, was not coming to Oak-
land, and on May 16, 1904, the passenger
and freight trains on the Santa Fe ran into
the station at Fortieth and San Pablo. The
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad
on that day celebrated its practical en-
trance into Oakland. Those who are fa-
miliar with the history of this city can
look back to that day several years ago and
see the commencement of the growth of



The successive steps bj^ which the Santa
Fe Railroad has worked its way from Rich-
mond, fifteen miles from the center of Oak-
land, to its present freight terminal, within
a little more than one mile, illustrates the
manner in which the managers of the rail-
road company have appreciated the import-
ance of the business of this city.

The Santa Fe Railroad Company was the
first to put on sale coupon passenger tickets



Santa Fe



85







8C



Greater Oakland, 1911




City Freight Office,

in a Broadway office. The present general
agent of the Santa Fe in Oakland, J. J.
Warner, commenced his service with the
company on June 1, 1886, and since June 14,
1888, he has been in charge of the Oakland
office.

Two years ago the Santa Fe Company re-
furnished and refitted the office building on
Broadway and made it one of the best ap-
pointed city passenger and freight offices on
this line west of Chicago. For the past five
years the passenger department of the Oak-
land office of the Santa Fe has been in
charge of T. A. Rigdon, one of the best
known passenger men on the coast.



Santa Fe Railway Co.

The business of the Santa Fe Railroad
Company in Oakland has grown in propor-
tion to the growth of the city and to the
provision of facilities for handling passen-
ger and freight traffic.

Oakland is recognized by the Santa Fe
Railroad Company as having the importance
that attaches to a city located at the actual
terminal of the great transcontinental sys-
tem, and where live a quarter of a million
people who are the greatest travelers on
the continent and who as such appreciate
the superior accommodations and courteous
treatment which is the rule on all the trains
and in all the offices of this system.



Santa Fe



87




T. A. RIGDON
Passenger Agent, Santa Fe Railway Co.



Greater Oakland, 1911




J. J. WARNER

Genkral Agent, Freight and Passenger Departments
Santa Fe Railway, Oakland



Mr. J. J. Warner, who is in charge of
the traffic affairs of the Santa Fe System
in Oakland and vicinity, is widely known
throughout the West as a capable and
popular railroad official.

Mr. Warner is a native of Michigan,
born in Van Buren County on August 2,
1860. After a practical education in the
Eastern public schools, he began his career
as a court reporter, having become an ex-
pert in stenography at the age of nineteen.

He came West in his early youth, and
after filling various positions in line with
his profession, accepted a position as
stenographer to the General Passenger
Agent of the Denver & Rio Grande Rail-
road in Denver, where he remained for
four j'ears.

In 1884 he received the appointment of
secretary to what was at that time known
as the "Pool Commission" of the Trans-
continental Railway Association, in San
Francisco. In 1886 he was appointed Sec-
retary to W. A. Bissell, Assistant Traffic
Manager of the Santa Fe System.



In June, 1888, he was made local repre-
sentative of the Santa Fe in Oakland,
where he has remained for the past twenty-
three years.

Everyone who knows Mr. Warner, knows
he has "made good" in every position he
has been called upon to fill; even when
little more than a boy his work brought
the highest praise from his employers and
business associates, and among his most
valued possessions are the finest kind of
letters from railway officials and others,
some of them dating way back in the
'70's. One letter in which he takes particu-
lar pride is a strong recommendation from
the late Mr. Wyckoff, of Wyckoff, Seaman
& Benedict, founders of the Remington
Typewriter business, written in 1878.

He now has supervision of all the freight
and passenger business in Alameda County
and part of Contra Costa County as far
as Martinez.

Mr. Warner's marriage to Miss Ethel L.
King occurred in Kentucky on June 34,
1889.



Farmers and Merchants' Bank



91




Farmers and Merchants Bank, I3th and Franklin Streets



92



Greater Oakland, 1911



The Farmers and Merchants Savings Bank
of Oakland, Cahfornia



HIS savings bank was organ-
ized in 1893, and until June
29, 1910, occupied banking
rooms on Broadway, just
north of Twelfth Street,
when the business was removed to the
new bank building at the southeast cor-
ner of Thirteenth and Franklin Streets.
This bank transacts strictly a savings




land and the surrounding country and
usually do not exceed 50 per cent of the
appraised value of the real estate and im-
provements.

The Farmers and Merchants Savings
Bank has four classes of savings accounts:
Term, ordinary, special ordinary (subject
to check) and certificates of deposit. It
also has checking accounts for the con-




business in all respects in accordance with
the laws governing savings banks in the
State of California. Its deposits are in-
vested in interest bearing securities of the
first class. Its loans are made only after
careful investigation of the security of-
fered, and the greater portion of the loans
are made upon first mortgages in Oak-



interior view, Farir.ers and Merchants Savings Bank

venience of its customers.

The new home of the Farmers and
Merchants Savings Bank is located at the
southeast corner of Thirteenth and Frank-
lin Streets, and is one of the handsomest
buildings of its kind on the Coast. It is a
building of the distinctive bank building
type and is used only for banking pur-



Farmers and Merchants' Bank



93




Farmers and Merchants Bank, Cashiers' Department



94



Greater Oakland, 1911



poses. It is strictly of Class A construc-
tion, with steel frame, and is absolutely
fireproof. It is the first building of its
type ever erected in Greater Oakland. The
architects were Sutton & Weeks.

Prior to definitely adopting plans for its
construction, the officers of the bank in-
spected many buildings of this class in the
principal cities of the East, and selecting
the most desirable features of each, caused
them to be embodied in the new structure.

Of modified Grecian architecture, the
building lifts from a base of highly pol-
ished granite to the height of an ordinary
three-story building. The superstructure
was built of white menti stone from Utah.
The building occupies a lot fifty feet front-
ing on Franklin Street and one hundred
feet on Thirteenth Street. Its facade is
supported by Ionic columns having beau-
tifully carved architraves, between which
appears the name of the bank in letters
of stone.

The interior of the bank was arranged



as to working space with infinite pains
and is roomy, well ventilated and beauti-
ful to look upon, as the decorations ex-
press the best taste of the best decorator
obtainable. The vaults lack nothing in
strength and are protected by the Ameri-
can District Telegraph Company's electri-
cal devices. One of the features of the
bank is its ladies' parlor, which is the
finest of its kind on the Coast and greatly
appreciated by all the lady customers of
the bank. Another feature is the safe
deposit department which is adequately
equipped with safe deposit boxes with the
new Yale changeable key locks.

The officers and directors of the bank
are as follows: Edson F. Adams, presi-
dent; S. B. McKee, vice-president; Geo.
S. Meredith, cashier, and F. C. Martens,
assistant cashier. Directors: Edson F.
Adams. S. B. McKee. A. W. Schafer, C.
D. Bates, A. L. Stone, Geo. S. Meredith
and F. C. Martens.




Union Savings Bank



95




Union Sav-ings Bank, 13th and Broadway



96



Greater Oakland, 1911



U



mon Davings



Bank




NION Savings Bank of Oak-
land, California, was incor-
porated May 26, 1869, with a
capital of $300,000 (3,000
shares of $100 each). The
directors are: John B. Felton, A. C.
Henry, J. West Martin, John C. Hayes
and E. Bigelow. Location, own property,
southeast corner of Nintii and Broadway,
which was on September 17, 1904, changed
to the new quarters, northeast corner of
Broadway and Thirteenth Street, where
the bank is now located, occupying the



Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 6 of 30)