Copyright
Evarts I. Blake.

Greater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. online

. (page 9 of 30)
Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 9 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


count Register, one of the most unique and
invaluable accounting devices for the use
of the retail merchant ever invented. It is
expected that this branch of the business
will develop so rapidly, that it will soon
be necessary to build these registers in
Oakland, and when this comes to pass, it
will mean the investment of considerable
capital and will furnish employment to many
people. The success of these registers in
the East has been so great that the facto-
ries there are taxed to the utmost in fill-
ing orders, and no doubt Oakland will soon
become an important manufacturing and
distributing point for these machines.

The Pacific Manifolding Book Company
at present gives employment to about two
hundred people and the annual pay roll
amounts to over $150,000, thus you will see
that through the medium of their branch
offices, their salesmen and the mail, they
draw upon the entire Western slope for their
income, a great portion of which is ex-
pended in the City of Oakland, both in
pay rolls and purchasing of supplies

The manager and officers of the Com-
pany are Western men, almost all of them
having been raised in or near Oakland.
This makes it a distinctly Western enter-
prise and gives the officers a just pride in
the growth of the business. In looking
over the plant and its environments one
thing so particularly noticeable is the ideal
condition under which the employees work.
There is good light, excellent ventilation
and everything is clean and sanitary in
every department. In addition to these
ideal conditions, there is perfect system
evident everywhere; each person's work is
mapped out for him, and the big business
is carried on with as little friction and con-
fusion as a well oiled and perfectly adjusted
machine.

The Pacific Manifolding Book Company
has done and is doing a great deal for the
City of Oakland in more ways than one,
and there is every indication that it will do
a great deal more in the future.



148



Greater Oakland, 1911




CODE-PORTWOOD CANNING Co.



149



Code-Portwood Canning Company



The growing of fruit in California is no
doubt the one important industry of Cali-
fornia, and, as a natural sequence, the busi-
ness of preserving, packing and distributing
California fruit for the world's consumption
ranks among the first industries of the
Golden State.

In dealing with this industry, the editors
selected the Code-Portwood Canning Com-
pany, as the largest and most representative
concern of its kind in Oakland, for discussion
in this volume.

The Code-Portwood Company pack about
every kind of fruit that it is possible to pre-
serve in cans. The big plant at Eleventh
Street and Twenty-eighth Avenue, Fruitvale,
is housed in a building 700 feet by 100 feet
and is two stories high. The cannery is
equipped with the latest machinery, and has
facilities in the way of economical devices
for the filling of cans, the cleansing of fruit
and for handling filled cans that no other
concern of its kind has.

It has never been the policy of the com-
pany to see how cheap a product it could
turn out, but how good; and if there was
ever an industry where this policy should be
practiced it is in the fruit canning business.
The Code-Portwood people have always been
willing to pay the highest price for fruit in
order to get absolutely the best the market
affords. The men in charge of the work in
every department have been taught that in
their business verily "cleanliness is next to
godliness," and every precaution is taken to



send to the consumer as clean and sweet a
product as is humanly possible.

The concern has certainly done its share in
advertising the city of Oakland broadly, as
they ship canned fruit in large quantities to
every corner of the globe, from China and
Japan to Bombay, India, all over the United
States and Canada, England, Germany,
France, Denmark, Alaska, Australia and New
Zealand. Considerable business is done with
the railroad companies of both the United
States and Canada.

The company employs from four to five
hundred people and distributes something like
$75,000 per year in Oakland for wages and
other disbursements. From 260,000 to 300,000
cases of canned fruit are shipped from Oak-
land by this concern every year. Among
the better known brands which the Code-
Portwood Company pack are "All Gold,"
"Claremont," "Premium" and "Fruitvale."

These products were awarded the only gold
medal at the Sacramento State Fair in Septem-
ber, 1907, 1908, 1909 and 1910 and gold medal
at the Alaska- Yukon-Pacific Exposition at
Seattle in 1909.

The Code-Portwood Company was estab-
lished on May 12, 1898, and during its dozen
years of existence has, through progressive
methods and by maintaining a high standard
of quality in its products, become one of the
solid business institutions of California.

The. officers of the corporation are: R. H.
Swayne, president ; C. L. Tilden, vice-presi-
dent ; M. A. Thomas, secretary, and A- L-
Duncan, general manager.



150



Greater Oakland, 1911



Oakland Brewing and Malting Company

^^AKERS OF

"SLUE and GOLD" LAGER



It is generally conceded that the big
plant of the Oakland Brewing & Malting
Company, located at 26th and Chestnut
Streets, Oakland, occupies the most artis-
tic group of buildings of any industrial in-
stitution in Alameda County.

This is a comparatively new institution,
organized on March 12th, 1907, and the
fact that in the brief period of four years,



this company has always produced a scien-
tifically pure and healthful beer, has, of
course, been the foundation of the marve-
lous growth of the business.

The brewery has a capacity of sixty
thousand barrels per year at the present
time, and since starting operations a few
years ago has had to increase its capa-
city three times. The plant has drilled




Interior Oakland Brewing and Malting Company



Blue & Gold Beer is sold in immense quan-
tities in all the Bay Cities, and is becoming
known as a standard article all over the
State, speaks well for the enterprise and
excellent business management of the
gentlemen holding executive positions in
the concern.

The plant is equipped with the inost
modern machinery, and nothing is lacking
in the way of up-to-date devices as a pro-
tection against all impurities; the fact that



its own wells for water supply.

All the bottling is done through a silver
pipe line under Government inspection, and
the general packing and bottling depart-
ment, both from a sanitary standpoint and
in the perfect arrangement for securing a
maximum output with the least labor and
expense, leaves little to be desired. All
beer shipped out must be properly aged
and up to the government standard, so it
might be said the Blue & Gold Beer is



Oakland Brewing and Malting Co.



151




Oakland Brewing and Malting Co. — Bottling Room



really guaranteed by the Government.

The Oakland Brewing & Malting Corn-
pan furnishes employment to about seventy
people the year round, in addition to the
large amount of capital expended in costh
buildings, machinery and equipment, which
adds greatly to the general prosperity of
Oakland. It pays out something like a
quarter of a million dollars per year to
its various emploj^es.



The architectural style of the building is
uniquely beautiful, and is of a type some-
times found in the old German Castles.
From a view point this group of buildings,
occupjnng two city blocks, presents a fine
picture.

The officers of the corporation are : C.
S. Plant, President ; Henry Wieking, Treas-
urer; J. M. Bonner, Secretary.




Engine Room — Oakland Brewing and Malting Co.



153



Greater Oakland, 1911




Oakland Brew



Oaklanu Brewing and Malting Co.



153




Malting Co.



154



Greater Oakland, 1911




W^ \%.-, n ^,^1


Hi


H3i|p3. «.. ^ i ».•


^


*^i^;^ . 'i >» - V 16.


■m4


^■I^^e»>'> \ i» ' << "L


-■ w ^


^■KV#k» \ %ir . , <«


■.<k


^■g^%«^J%.^ v.* K^


*.



Oakland Warehouse Co.



155




Oakland Warehouse Company



That the Oakland Warehouse Company,
distributor of incandescent electric lights,
h^s indeed helped to make Oakland the "one
bright spot" is Hterally as well as figuratively
true. This concern is rapidly developing into
an institution of gigantic proportions. The
business was established here in 1903 as a
warehouse for the storage of electric lamps
and general illuminating equipment, and since
that time has developed into the largest dis-
tributing concern of all types of Carbon, Gem,
Tantalum, Tungsten and Incandescent lamps
in the West.

Starting in with a floor space of 15,000
square feet in their old building at Twelfth
and Clay Streets, it now requires 65,000
square feet of floor space to meet the re-
quirements of the business. The new build-
ing now occupied by the concern is con-
structed of brick, four stories in height, and
is absolutely fireproof. It is equipped with
every modern appliance for the handling of
the vast amount of material that is constantly
being shipped in and out, and the business
is so systematized that the immense amount
of work is done without friction or confu-
sion. The building is equipped with its own
emergency fire pump with a capacity of 1,000
gallons per minute.

The Oakland Warehouse Company are dis-
tributors for :

Banner Electric Company, Youngstown, O.

Brilliant Electric Company, Cleveland, O.

Bryan-Marsh Company, Chicago, 111.

Buckeye Electric Company, Cleveland, O.

Colonial Electric Company, Warren, Pa.

Columbia Incandescent Lamp Company, St.
Louis.

Fostoria Incandescent Lamp Company, Fos-
toria, O.



General Incandescent Lamp Company,
Cleveland, O.

Monarch Incandescent Lamp Company,
Chicago, 111.

New York and Ohio Company, Warren, O.

Shelby Electric Company, Shelby, O.

Sterling Electrical Manufacturing Com-
pany, Warren, O.

Sunbeam Incandescent Lamp Company,
Chicago, 111.

Warren Electrical and Specialty Company,
Warren, O.

The average shipments since the company
began operations here, about eight years ago,
have been 125,000 lamps per month. Among
the larger users of their various illuminating
equipment are Oakland Savings Bank Build-
ing, First National Bank Building, St. Marks
Hotel, the City Hall and other administra-
tion buildings of San Francisco, the White
House and Monadnock Building of San
Francisco, and in fact nearly every large
building requiring illumination on the Pacific
Coast. The company employs 250 people
and the annual payroll amounts to about
$72,000.

The gentlemen who have been the most
important factors in building up this busi-
ness to its present magnitude are Messrs.
J. A. Vandegrift, general manager; R. C.
Hyde, superintendent, and George E. Norris,
assistant manager. Miss N. Burns is the au-
ditor and has supervision of the accounts of
the company.

Mr. Vandegrift has been engaged in the
electrical lamp business for many years in
the East, and seventeen years ago was ap-
pointed manager for the Pacific Coast de-
partment of the Bryan-Marsh Company of
Chicago. He is recognized as one of the



156



Greater Oakland, 1911



best authorities in the West on electrical illu-
mination. His energy, unquestioned ability
and progressive ideas have been strong fac-
tors in the rapid growth of the concern. He
is a member of the Oakland Chamber of
Commerce and is now acting on the Progress
and Prosperity Committee.

Mr. Hyde, the superintendent, came to the
Coast fourteen years ago from the East, hav-
ing been formerly associated with the Central
Falls Lamp Company of Rhode Island. He
has had many years' experience in various de-
partments of electrical work and has proven



a valuable acquisition to the concern in the
supervision of the detail work.

Mr. Norris, the active young assistant, is
also an Easterner and has been associated
with the Oakland Warehouse Company for
about one year. He was formerly with the
Banner Electric Company of Youngstown,
Ohio, first as salesman and later as auditor.
He is the son of N. L. Norris, a well known
electrical engineer of the East, who is gen-
eral manager of two of the largest electrical
factories in Youngstown.




J. J. Kennedy



157




J. J. KENNEDY
Pioneer Coalman of Alameda County



J. J. Kennedy



An excellent example of what brains and
energy can accomplish will be found in the
life story of J. J. Kennedy, the pioneer coal
man of Alameda County.

Mr. Kennedy has lived in Oakland for
the past thirty years. He is a self-made
man in every sense of the term. As a young
man, in 1881, he mastered the trade of iron
molder and worked in that capacity for five
years, and it was during this period of his
career that the plain, honest hard work es-
tablished in him a virility and manhood
which has been the foundation of his sub-
sequent success.

As an iron molder he learned the value



of a dollar, and in 1887 he had saved enough
to embark in business for himself. With a
capital of exactly $335.35 he established a
coal yard at Eighth and Chester Streets. The
busines grew and prospered, not by leaps
and bounds, but steadily and healthfully, and
after a few years Mr. Kennedy was able to
purchase his partner's interest in the busi-
ness, he having been associated at that time
with H. J. Cruz.

During the following years the coal busi-
ness was at its best, as fuel oil had not then
come into general use, and Kennedy verily
"made hay while the sun shone." He se-
cured all the business of the city, county and



158



Greater Oakland, 1911



State in this territory, including all the
schools, Home for the Blind and other pub-
lic institutions, University of California, fire,
police and street departments, etc., which at
that time amounted to quite a few thousands
of tons of coal per year. Kennedy did not
secure this business through any "pull," but
solely on account of his ability to best his
competitors in price, quality and prompt
deliveries.

During this period Mr. Kennedy was fa-
miliary known throughout the county as the
"Coke King of Oakland." Coke was largely
used at that time, and for over twelve years
Kennedy was the only man or concern sell-
ing coke on this side of the bay.

Everyone who knows Mr. Kennedy knows
him to be absolutely square, both in business.
and out of business. Even at a time when
he had no competition in business his deal-
ings with the public were uniformly cour-
teous, and customers always received full
weight and just what they ordered.

Twenty-two years ago Mr. Kennedy moved
his business to its present location at 1214
Market Street, at which time he bought out
Rice & Sons. He now operates five wagons
of from two to six tons capacity-, and his
payroll at present amounts to quite a few
thousands per year.

During his long residence in Oakland Mr.
Kennedy has aided his fortunes materially by
shrewd real estate investments. Ten years
ago he purchased the valuable piece of
property on Market Street, between Four-
teenth and Fifteenth Streets, upon which he
has built his present home. Two years ago
last July he began the erection of one of the



handsomest apartment houses on this side of
the bay, which is now completed and occu-
pied and run under his own supervision.
This magnificent structure is known as the
Casa Rosa Apartments and is described more
fully elsewhere in this volume.

In addition to the above property he owns
two flats on Eighth Street, at Nos. 207 and
209, and four lots on Thirty-second and
Helen Streets, 50 by 100 feet ; a house at
51 Hannah Street and various other prop-
erty. Although we have no official informa-
tion on the subject, we believe Kennedy will
soon be rated in the million dollar class.

Mr. Kennedy's marriage to Miss Mary T.
Ahern occurred in Oakland about twenty-
one years ago, the ceremony being performed
in Sacred Heart Church. Mr. Kennedy suf-
fered a severe loss in the death of his wife
four years ago. There are five children :
May, 20 ; Ignatius and Loretta, twins, 18 ;
Francis, 16, and Louis, 13. Mr. Kennedy is
the son of Thomas Kennedy, who died in
Oakland at the age of 87 in the spring of
1911.

In his early youth Mr. Kennedy accepted
a position as sexton for the Sacred Heart
Church on Fortieth Street, and no doubt
the good environment and influence in early
life had something to do with his subsequent
career. He has always retained his church
affiliations, and his many charitable acts in
Oakland during years past have been spon-
taneous and of the most practicable sort.

Mr. Kennedy now finds it necessary to
move close to the water front and railroads
where he intends going into the wholesale
business together with his retail business.



Cardinet Candy Co.



159




EMIIvE CARDINET



160



Greater Oakland, 191]



Cardinet Candy Company



One of the enterprising firms that behevcs
in the future of Oakland and Alameda
County, and has shown its confidence by
establishing headquarters here some five or
six years ago, is the Cardinet Candy Com-
pany, which is becoming known all over the
State.

Immediately after the San Francisco dis-



time to meet the demands of increasing busi-
ness. Years ago, in 1898, he associated him-
self with the Herman C. Fisher Company
of Sacramento and has been continuously en-
gaged in the candy business ever since, a
matter of nearly fourteen years. During
his many years of practical experience he
has learned about all there is to know about




GEO. F. CARDINET



aster of 1906, Emile Cardinet, after many
years of experience in the candy business
and well-founded faith in his ability to suc-
ceed, decided to engage in business in Oak-
land, and established the present factory
at 1069-1071 Kirkham Street, Oakland,



the manufacture of candies, and this, of
course, is one of the fundamental reasons
for the firm's success. He has entire super-
vision of the manufacturing end of the busi-
ness.

George H. Cardinet, the junior member



which has had to be enlarged from time to of the concern, joined his brother in the



Cardinet Candy Co.



Ifil



business about two years ago and has charge
of the finances and sales force. He has had
many years' business experience. Starting in
with the John Breuner Company of Sacra-
mento in the early part of 1899 as assistant
shipping clerk, he was shortly after trans-
ferred to San Francisco, when the Breuner
Company bought out the California Furni-
ture Company of that city. Here he served
as superintendent of shipping, later as assist-
ant cashier and finally as superintendent of
shops and assistant buyer. After ten years'
connection with this firm he resigned to take
his present place in the active management
of the Cardinet Candy Company. His ex-
perience has proven valuable in systematizing
the work of the office and sales force in his
present business, and has had not a little to
do with the success of the business.



The Cardinet Candy Company manufacture
a big general line of candies, from the
cheaper grades to the finest qualities, and
also do an immense jobbing business in pack-
age goods in special lines manufactured in
the East. It would be hard to find a store
dealing in candies on this side of the bay
where the Cardinet goods are not found on
sale, not to mention the big business carried
on with San Francisco jobbers.

They are the largest and practically the
only manufacturers in Alameda County, and
it is this sort of energy and enterprise that
is the foundation of the solid growth of any
city, and with the advantage of young blood
and progressive ideas this concern is rapidly
developing into one of the solid business in-
stitutions of Alameda Countv.




162



Greater Oakland, 1911



Moore & Scott Iron Works




|N industrial institution of broad
scope and purpose, in which
the City of Oakland may well
take pride, is the Moore &
Scott Iron Works and ship
yards. The dry dock and ship yards of
the company are located in Oakland Harbor,
at the foot of Adeline Street and have always
been the scene of busy activity.

In discussing the industries whose presence
in Oakland mean prosperity and improve-
ment of a permanent sort, the Moore & Scott
Company stands pre-eminent. It not only
furnishes steady employment to some six
hundred men, which means the distribution of
something like a quarter of a million a year
in pay rolls alone, but they have demon-
strated that Oakland harbor is built to dock
the largest vessel that comes into this port.
Moore & Scott were awarded the contract
for over-hauling and reconstructing the



United States Army Transport "Thomas" at
a cost of about six hundred thousand dollars,
and the work has been completed to the sat-
isfaction of all concerned. The "Thomas"
is the largest vessel ever taken up Oakland
Creek, the dimensions being: 5,713 tons gross,
450 feet length by 50 feet breadth by 30 feet
depth of hold by 24 feet draft of water.

The plant, with a dry dock capable of tak-
ing vessels of 3,500 tons capacity, is a credit
to the city and an urgent necessity as well;
the benefits to be derived by its acquisition in
the matter of securing big contracts and the
resultant disbursements of large sums of
money in Oakland, are apparent.

Mr. Robert S. Moore and Mr. John T.
Scott are widely known as business men of
calibre and action, and their operations in
Oakland have been of great general benefit
to the commonwealth.




Moore & Scott Iron Works



163




164



Greater Oakland, 1911




HoGAN Lumber Company



165



Hogan Lumber Company




N writing of Oakland's indus-
tries, the editors are glad to
pay full tribute to the Hogan
Lumber Company, one of the
largest and oldest institutions



tures about a half million dollars every year.
It is self-evident that the Hogan Lumber
Company has been no small factor in creat-
ing and maintaining a prosperous city.
The main lumber yards and plant in Oak-



of its kind in this thriving city, and one land occupy about eight acres of ground. The
which has played a most important part in company owns four hundred and twenty feet




HUGH HOGAN
President Hogan IvUmber Company



the development of Oakland's waterfront.

With lumber yards and mill in Berkeley
and Elmhurst, in addition to the big planing
mill and yards at the foot of Alice Street, in
Oakland, the company employs something like
two hundred men and distribute in Oakland
and vicinity in pay-rolls, and local expendi-



of water front, and own their docks and
wharves with deep water, capable of harbor-
ing two large vessels at once. The concern
also owns or is interested in several freight
boats, among which are the "Aurelia," "Svea,"
"Bowdoin," and others.

In addition to the large business of ship-



166



Greater Oakland, 1911




HoGAN Lumber Company



167



ping, storing and marketing lumber, the com-
pany operates one of the largest and best
equipped planing mills on this side of the
bay, where all sorts of mill work is done.

The Hogan Lumber Company has done so
much work and has furnished material for
so many big structures in the bay cities, that
it would be impractical to print a list here.
The concern is at present supplying lumber
for a large structure at Twelfth and Webster
Streets, one at Third and Webster Streets,



of civic improvements, and has done much
toward the upbuilding of the city. He has
for years been a member of the Chamber of
Commerce, acting on various important com-
mittees, and was its vice-president for four
years. He has been just as broad gauge in
his ideas of public improvement as in the
operations of his own business. Mr. Thomas
P. Hogan is vice-president and Hugh W.
Hogan secretary of the company.
The former gentleman, the brother of Mr.




HUGH W. HOGAN
Secretary of Hogan Lumber Company



one at Telegraph Avenue and Alcatraz Ave-
nue, and the new Washington Brewery struc-
ture at Sixth and Kirkham Streets.

The company supply all the ship yards with
lumber, as well as many of the big dredges
built here, having furnished the material re-
cently for the largest dredger ever built on
the Pacific Coast ; in the construction of this
dredger over five hundred thousand feet of
lumber was used.

Mr. Hugh Hogan, the founder, and presi-
dent of the company, is not only one of Oak-
land's most successful business men but has
given considerable time to further the cause



Hugh Hogan, has several business interests
in the city and is widely and favorably



Online LibraryEvarts I. BlakeGreater Oakland, 1911, a volume dealing with the big metropolis on the shores of San Francisco Bay .. → online text (page 9 of 30)