Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 106 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 106 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

(V) Lusher (3), eldest son and child of Lusher
(2) and Mary (Colburn) Gay, was born in Killingly
March 21, 1740. April 30, 1761, he married Judith
Green, daughter of Henry and Judith (Guile or
Guild) Green. He died April 18, 1778, and his
widow subsequently became the wife of David Wil-
son, of Dedham. Lusher Gay was the father of
seven children, namely: Willard, Lemuel, Mary,
Sally, Colburn, Hannah and Nabby.

(VI) Colburn, third son and fifth child of
Lusher and Judith (Green) Gay, was born in
March, 1770. He resided in Dedham, Massachu-
setts, until about 1815, when he moved to New
Hampshire, and died in Surry, October 26, 1824.
He was twice married — first to Sarah Ellis, who
died in 1803, and his second wife, whom he married
in iBio, was Mrs. Lucy Brackett (nee Walker), of
Stoughton, Massachusetts. His children were :
Willard (who died young), Phineas Ellis, Willard,
Sallv, Hiram. John and Annie.

(VII) Willard, third son and child of Colburn

and Lucy (Walkcr-Brackett) Gay, was born in Ded-
ham, February 11, 181 1. He settled upon a farm
in Swanzey, New Hampshire, and resided there for
the remainder of his life, which terminated in
1882. tlis first wife, whom he married April 14,
1S41, was Fanny Wright, daughter of Caleb Wright
of Keene. She died March 30, 1842, leaving one
son, Dr. George Washington Gay, who will be again
referred to. On Alarch 30, 1S43, he married for
his second wife Emily H. Farwell, daughter of
Samuel Farwell, of Nelson, New Hampshire. She
became the mother of six children, namely : Ella
Harriet, born February 4, 1844, became the wife of
Z. G. Taft; Phineas Ellis, born May 14, 1846, mar-
ried Lizzie Hill ; Mary Anna, born November 23,
1847; Reo A., born March 24, 1851, died December
I, same year; Emma W., born j\Iay 10, 1855, died
December 18, that year; and the latter's twin sister,
Carrie Louise, who died February 18, 1861.

(VIII) George Washington Gay, M. D., only
child of Willard and Fanny (Wright) Gaj^ was born
in Swanzey January 14, 1842. His early education
was acquired in the public schools and at Powers
Institute, Bernardston, Massachusetts. His pro-
fessional studies were pursued under the direction
of Dr. Twitchell, of Keene, and at the Harvard
Medical School, from which he was graduated in
1868, and he immediately began the practice of his
profession in Boston, giving his attention almost
exclusively to surgery. His professional advance-
ment was rapid, and the thoroughly able and
conscientious manner in which he handled a number
of serious cases during the early days of his career
resulted in the creation of a very large private
practice, and this, together with his public hospital
work, has gained for him an honorable position
among Amercan surgeons of the highest rank. Dr.
Gay's professional appointments have been somewhat
limited owing to his unusually extensive private prac-
tice, but those which he has considered a duty to
accept have been highly important. From 1872
to 1899 he held the post of visiting surgeon to the
Boston City Hospital, when he was appointed
senior surgeon, which position he still holds. In
1888 he was appointed instructor in clinical sur-
gery at the Harvard Medical School, in which ca-
pacity he continued to serve until 1900, when he
became lecturer on surgery and still retains that
position. He is president of the Massachusetts
Medical Society (1906-08), a member of the Ameri-
can and the British j\Iedical Associations, and of
the American Surgical Association, and also affili-
ates with other professional bodies and with the
Masonic order. His contributions to the literature
of his profession, which have appeared from time
to time in the standard medical journals, cover a
varied line of subjects relative to surgerj^ and per-
haps the latest and most opportune are those upon
Appendicitis, in the diagnosis and treatment of which
he stands high among the surgeons of this coun-

On November 25, 186S, Dr. Gay married Mary
E. Hutchinson, daughter of B. F. Hutchinson, of
Milford, New Hampshire, and she died February
22, 1873. His present wife, whom he married in
1875, was Grace Greenleaf, daughter of J. H.
Hathorne. of Boston. '

The family of Guay comes into New
GUAY Hampshire from the Province of Quebec,

Canada, where the family has been seated
for many years, although it had its origin in France.
Through the several generations of the family life
in the Province of Quebec the Guays, like nearly



all others of the same nationality, came to be known
as French-Canadians, but unlike most of them the
Guays have occupied a higher station in the social
and civil history of the province and the name is
known in the professions, trades and in the church,
having representatives in each.

(I) Thomas Guay was a Farmer of Point Levis
in the county of Levis, Province of Quebec, Canada.
His lands were extensive and he was thrifty, provi-
dent and much respected in the community in which
he lived. liis wife before her marriage was Julia
Poire, a woman of French ancestry and Canadian
birth, and she bore her husband five sons and three

(II) Thomas, son of Thomas and Julia (Poire)
Guay, was born at Point Levis, Province of Quebec,
and lived there until he had passed middle age, and
then removed to Laconia, New Hampshire. He mar-
ried Sarah Nolan, daughter of John" Nolan, of St.
Agathe, Canada, who was born in Cork, Ireland,
and came to Quebec when he was a young man.
On her father's side Sarah was of Irish birth, while
through her mother she was of English and Scotch
descent. Thomas and Sarah (Nolan) Guay had a
large family of thirteen children, several of whom
died in extreme infancy. Thomas J., now a con-
tracting builder in Laconia, senior member of the
firm of Guay & Wallace. John Michael, mentioned
below. Alfred (i) and Alfred (2), both of whom
died very young. Emma, who died at the age of
nineteen. Catherine, wife of I. J. Malouin, of La-
conia. Alfred L., a foreman carpenter, living in
Laconia. Joseph T., a painter, living in Laconia.
Albert T., a painter, living in Laconia. Four other
children whose span of life was very short.

(III) John Michael, second child and second
son of Thomas and Sarah (Nolan) Guay, was born
at St. Agathe, Province of Quebec, Canada, Sep-
tember 28, 1861, and was eighteen years old when
his father left that place and came to Laconia, New
Hampshire. At St. Agathe he was given a good
education in public schools and also in an institution
of a grade equal to that of the normal schools in
this state, and after the removal of the family to
Laconia he learned the trade of general and decora-
tive painting, and followed it, steadily for a time
and afterward in the intervals of service under the
municipal government of Laconia, for since 1889
he has been more or less closely identified with the
department of police of that town and subsequent
city, and now is head of the department. In 1889
Mr. Guay was appointed town patrolman, and in
1891 became chief of police and served in that ca-
pacity until 1893, when the charter of the incor-
porated city of Laconia was granted and an organ-
ization was. effected under it. He then returned to
his trade in the car shops, and in 1896 was appointed
postman under the free mail delivery service in-
augurated in Laconia during that year. He was
mail carrier about five and a half years, then re-
turned to the car shops, worked there between four
and five years, and November 4, 1905, was ap-
pointed city marshal by the board of police com-
missioners of Laconia. This office he still holds,
and it is said by business men and others who
represent large property interests that the high
standing of the police department of the city is
largely due to the capable and efficient superin-
tendence of its present marshal. Mr. Guay is a
Democrat — there is no question about that — but he
never has been oflfensive in his partisanship and has
many warm political supporters in the opposite
party. In 1902 he was the Democratic candidate
for the office of sheriff of Belknap county, which

is a reliable Republican jurisdiction so far as ma-
jority is concerned, but Mr. Guay fell short of
election by only eighty-five votes. He was a mem-
ber of the city council of Laconia from March to
November, 1905, and retired from that office to
enter upon his duties as city marshal, as has been

July 8, 1888, John Michael Guay married Mary
Murphy, daughter of Jeremiah and Mary Murphy,
of Erving, Massachusetts. Two children have been
born of this marriage : Irene Bernadette, born in
Laconia, January 20, 1891, and John Augustus, born
in Laconia, ]\Iarch 10, 1894.

This family name, which is
KINGSFORD borne by only a small number of

persons in this country, is de-
rived from the name of the English town whence
came the bearer of the name.

(I) Charles C. Kingsford was born in Lake-
ville, Massachusetts. He married Sarah Ashley and
they had three children : Arthur, Charles and John,
whose sketch follows : '

(II) John C, youngest son of Charles C. and
Sarah (Ashley) Kingsford, was born in Lakeville,
May 4, 1845. He attended the common schools of
Lakeville, and also two years at Taunton high
school. After farming a short time in Middleboro,
then in Taunton, Massachusetts, he went to Provi-
dence, Rhode Island. After conducting a gentle-
man's furnishing store for a short time, he became
a clerk in the post office at Riverside, a suburb of
Providence, and has ever since been in that employ
and resided in Providence. In politics he is a staunch
Republican. For a time he was captain in the
United Train of Artillery of the Rhode Island state
militia. He is a member of the Riverside Congre-
gational Church, and has been superintendent of
its Sunday school. He is a past master of St. An-
drew's Lodge, No. 21, Free and Accepted Masons, of
East Providence. He married Arabella F. Thatcher,
who was born in Providence, daughter of Nelson
Wood and Deborah (Pratt) Thatcher. Their chil-
dren are : Howard Nelson, Gertrude Ashley, Ar-
thur Henry, Gorham, Frank W., Carlton Lynwood,
and Winthrop Cox. Howard C. is mentionel below.
Gertrude A., married William E. Atkinson and
lives at Riverside, Rhode Island. Arthur Henry
resides in Providence. Frank Wentworth is in the
automobile business in Detroit, Michigan. Carl-
ton L. attends the East Providence high school.
Winthrop Cox is in school.

(III) Howard Nelson, eldest child of John C.
and Arabella F. (Thatcher) Kingsford, was born
in Providence, Rhode Island, September 24, 1871,
and attended the common and high schools in East
Providence. He entered Dartmouth College in 1893,
and graduated with the class of 1897, and subse-
quently took a post-graduate course at Harvard.
He was made instructor in pathology and bacteri-
ology in Dartmouth College. In 1901 he became
professor in these sciences, and the following year
was appointed bacteriologist for the state of New
Hampshire, having charge of the state laboratories
in Concord and Hanover. He is also medical di-
rector for Dartmouth College. In politics he is a
Republican. He is a member of St. Andrew's
Lodge, No. 21, Free and Accepted Masons, of East
Providence, Rhode Island; St. Andrew's Royal Arch
Chapter, No. i, of Lebanon; Washington Council,
No. 10, Royal and Select Masters, of Lebanon ;
Sullivan Commandcry, Knights Templar, of
Claremont ; Edward A. Raymond Consistory,
Sublime Princes of the Royal Secret, thirty-



second degree, Nashua ; and Bcktash Temple,
Ancient Arabic Order of the Mystic Shrine
of Concord. He married, July 16, 1898,
Mabel P. Clark, who was born October 21, 1869,
in Pawtucket, daughter of Charles R. and Sarah
P. (Reney) Clark, of Pawtucket, Rhode Island.

The clan ]\Iackenzie, one of the
MACKENZIE ancient tribes of Scotland, has
an honorable record, and has pro-
duced many men of prominence in peace and in war.
Among the' former are Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the
Arctic explorer, for whom the Alackenzie river was
named; George, author of "Writers of the Scots
Nation"; and Henry, who was the author of "The
Man of Feeling."

(I) Alexander Mackenzie, a native of Scot-
land, was probably a fisherman.

(II) Colin, son of Alexander jSIackenzie, was
born in Scotland, in 1844, and after receiving a com-
mon school education fitted himself for the position
of electrician. In 1866 he came to America, landing
on Cape Breton Island, and tinally settling at
Ellsworth, jNIaine, where he now resides. For years
past he has been an employe of the Western Union
Telegraph Company. He is a member of the Inde-
pendent Presbyterian Church, and in political faith
is a Democrat. He is a valued member of the j\Ia-
sonic order, in which he has attained the thirty-
second degree. He married Elizabeth Corbett, who
was born in St. John's, New Brunswick, daughter
of Alexander Corbett, the father being a native
of Scotland. They have seven children: Daniel,
an electrician, resides in Boston; Colin, conducts
a hotel in Ellsworth; Nicholas B., is mentioned be-
low; Annie Louise, Maud Eva, Minnie Elizabeth
and Jessie May.

(HI) Dr. Nicholas Bradford, third son and
child of Colin and Elizabeth (Corbett) Mackenzie,
was born in Ellsworth, Maine, August 14, 1876.
His literary education was obtained in the common
schools. He entered the medical department of
Dartmouth College, from which he graduated in the
class of 1891. After graduation he was a physician
in the City Hospital of Boston three months, at the
Massachusetts General Hospital three months, and
then at the Children's Hospital, four months, in
which time he became excellently prepared for
general practice, in which he engaged soon after
at Tremont, INIaine. He remained there only four
months, and in I\Iay, 1902, rernoved to Salisbury,
New Hampshire, where he has since been success-
fully engaged in the practice of his profession. He
married Addie, daughter of Julius K. Trask, of
Salisbury, who came to the latter town from Stock-
holm, New York.

Enoch Place was in Dorchester, JNIassa-
PLACE chusetts, in 1657. He was born in 1631,

and died in 1695. He married in Dor-
chester, November 5, 1657, Sarah , who

died in 1695, after him. In 1663 Enoch Place was
in King's Town, Rhode Island, and with others
of Narragansett desired to be under the- protection
of Connecticut. In 1664, May 5, he was ordered
released from prison on giving bonds for one
hundred pounds "to appear and speak further to
matter concerning Timothy Mather, whom he ac-
cused of speaking words of a very dishonorable
nature against his majesty." In 1671, May 19, Enoch
Place took the oath of allegiance to Rhode Island;
in 1687 was taxed ten shillings four pence, and in
1688 was a grand juror. Under the date of 1693
Daniel Gould writes in his journal: "1 went over
iv— 42

the water in a canoe with old Place to Canonicut."
In his will, proved September 11, ,1095, Enoch Place
calls himself sixty-four years old. His property,
besides lands, inventoried at seventeen pounds nine-
teen shillings, and comprised a cow, heifer, two
yearlings, calf, four sheep, two or three lambs,
pewter, iron, etc. This appears to be the earliest
mention of the family name Place in New England
colonial history, and it is supposed that all the
other Places in the several states in that region have
descended from Enoch and Sarah, of Dorchester
and King's Town. Their children were Enoch,
Peter, Thomas, Joseph and Sarah, all of whom mar-
ried and had families.

The first of the namo mentioned in the early
history of New Hampshire is in the Newington
Church records : 1716, John Place married Eunice
Row of Newington ; 1719, Ebenezer Place married
Jane Pevey ; 1727, Samuel Place married Mary Row;
1727, James Place married Mary VValker ; 1745,
Abraham Place married ]Mary Rawlins; 1751, Jo-
seph Place married Alice Dam. It may be assumed
that the more recent generations of the Places in
New Hampshire are descendants of those of the
same name found in the church records, and it also
is fair to assume that they of Newington were in
some manner associated in kinship with the Places
of Dorchester and King's Town, but from any record
now in existence it is difficult to trace descent from
any of these heads to Jacob Place of Alton, New
Hampshire, and his descendants, several of whom
are still living in that town.

(I) Jacob Place was born in Alton, New Hamp-
shire, October 25, 1794, and died there. The farm
on which he settled after marriage was cleared by
him, and now is owned and occupied by one of his
grandsons, having been in the family more than
three quarters of a century. On July 26, 1812, Jacob
Place married Hannah Clough, daughter of Perley
and Sally (Smith) Clough. Jacob and Hannah
(Clough) Place had nine children: Sally Pinkham,
Smith Clough, Harriet Jewell, Stephen Smith, Lu-
ther Brown, Perley Clough, Nancy Olive, Hannah
Elizabeth and Jacob Cogswell Place.

(II) Smith Clough, second child and eldest son
of Jacob and Hannah (Clough) Place, was born
1816, and died March 5, 1890. He was about forty-
five years old when he enlisted for service in the
civil war with the Eighth New Hampshire "Volun-
teer Infantry. He was a farmer by occupation, and
was much respected in the .town of Alton. He mar-
ried, 1839, Nancy J. Dicey, died in 18S8. Their chil-
dren w'ere : George E., Mary, William, Fanny, Jo-
siah S., Washington N. G., Armetta, Ernest L., and
Jesse Franklin Place.

(II) Luther Brown, fifth child and third son
of Jacob and Hannah (Clough) Place, was born
in Alton, New Hampshire, 1825, and although be-
yond the eightieth milestone of life's journey is
one of the best preserved men of his town, and
even at the present day reads well without the aid
of glasses. He was baptized by a minister of the
Advent Church, but was not brought up under the
influence of that denomination. His occupation has
been that of millwright and farmer, chiefly the
latter, and his endeavors in life have been rewarded
w^ith success. He has seen generations one after
another of the old families come and go, and is re-
garded as one of the best authorities on Alton his-
tory now living. Mr. Place married, 1850, Eme-
line M. Glidden, w^ho was born in Alton, 1833, ^nd
died there, 1892. Their children are : Clara R.,
James Buchanan, Cora E., and Charles L. Place.

(III) Jesse Franklin Place, son and youngest



child of Smith Clough and Nancy J. (Dicey) Place,
was born in Alton, New Hampshire, 1S61, and has
spent his entire life in that town. He was educated
in the town school, and when old enough learned
the trade of millwright, which has been his main
occupation in business life to the present time. He
moved to his present farm in 1882, and has so im-
proved it that it is regarded as one of the most
attractive home farms in Alton. It is pleasantly
situated on the shore of Crystal Lake, with Mt.
Belknap and other noted heights in plain view from
his house. JNlr. Place married, June 7, 1884, Grace
-W. Page, who was born in Gilmanton, New Hamp-
shire, daughter of Asa and Eliza (Edgerly) Page,
of Gilmanton. Their children are: Franklin S.,
Mildred and Josephine S. Place.

(HI) James Buchanan, second child and elder
son of Luther Brown and Emeline M. (Glidden)
Place, was born on the homestead farm in Alton,
March 2, 1857. He was educated in the Alton
public school and in the academy at Wolfborough,
New Hampshire, and after leaving school he taught
one year; but his chief occupation has been farm-
ing and shocmaking, and in connection with the
farm he and his father own and operate a saw mill
at Place's pond. He is a member of Highland
Lodge, No. 93, Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
of Gilmanton Iron Works, and of Merry Meeting
Grange, Patrons of Husbandrj^ of A.lton. In Febru-
ary, 1890, Mr. Plac& married Aliss Amy E. Stephens,
of Bangor, Maine. Their children are : Walter R.,
Hazel Olive and Faith Emeline Place.

The name of Nelson is of Scandi-
NELSON navian origin, and was derived from

Nilsson, meaning son of Nils. It is
not only to be found in Scotland and Ireland, but is
to be met with in nearly every county in England,
especially in those along the seaboard, which in
ancient times were exposed to the ravages of the
piratical Norsemen in their Vikings.

(I) The Nelsons of Maine, New Hampshire
and the northern counties of ^Massachusetts are the
posterity of, Thomas Nelson, who was one of the
company of colonists which immigrated with the
Rev. Ezekiel' Rogers from Rowley, Yorkshire, Eng-
land, in 1638, and settled the town of Rowley, Mas-
sachusetts. This company was composed of twenty
families, the majority of whom were weavers, and
they were the first to manufacture woollen cloth
in New England. Thomas Nelson appears to have
been one of the wealthiest as well as one of the
most able among the Rowley settlers, and acquired
prominence both in business and official life. He
was made a freeman in 1639, was chosen deputy
to the general court in 1640, and in the following
year became chairm.an of a committee formulated to
make a general survey of the town, lay out and
register houselots and transact other business in
relation to land grants. In 1644 he was appointed
to solemnize marriages. His death occurred in
England in 1648, while on a visit to the mother
country for the purpose of transacting some im-
portant business, and an item in the records states
that he prudently made his will prior to his de-
parture from Rowley. The name of his first wife,
whom he married in England, docs not appear in
any record on this side of the ocean. His second
marriage took place about the year 1642, in Massa-
chusetts, to "Joane" Dummer. daughter of Thomas
Dummcr, of Badgeley, England, and a niece of
Richard Dummer, one of the original settlers of
Newbury. Of this first union there were two sons :

Philip, who will be again referred to; and Thomas,
who was born in England in 1635, and married Ann
Lambert. The children of his second marriage
were: Mercy, born in Rowley, December 26, 1643;
Samuel, born in Rowley about 1646, died in Eng-
land prior to 1676; and JNIary, who was also born
in Rowlej^, and of whom there is no further men-

(II) Captain Philip, eldest child of Thomas
Nelson and the latter's first wife, was born in Eng-
land, _ about the year 1633, and came to New Eng-
land in early boyhood. He was a student at Harvard
College during the days of its infancy, graduating
in 1654, and he attained eminence in both civic and
military life, serving as a justice of the peace and
as captain of a company which was attached to the
command of Sir William Phipps on an expedition
against the French in Nova Scotia. His death oc-
curred August 19, 1691. He was twice married,
first, June 24, 1657, to Sarah Jewett, daughter of
Joseph Jewett, who died prior to December 17,
1665, which was the date of her burial ; second, No-
vember I, 1666, to Elizabeth Lowell, who was born
February 16, 1646, daughter of John Lowell of
Newbur}-, and she died December 14, 1731. The
children of his first marriage were Philip and Mary.
His second wife bore him ten children, namely:
John, Jeremiah (died in infancy), Elizabeth, Sarah,
Jeremiah, jNIartha, Ruth, Joseph, Jemima and

(III) Joseph, fourth son and eighth child of
Captain Philip and Elizabeth (Lowell) Nelson,
was born November 28, 1682. He resided in Row-
ley, and his death occurred February 8, 1713-1^,
For his first wife he married Hannah Brocklebank,
daughtcr_ of Samuel Brocklebank, and she died June
5, 1732, in her forty-eighth year. His second wife,
whom he married in Ipswich, September 5, 1732,
was Mrs. Elizabeth Jewett, widow of Jeremiah
Jewett. She died May 24, 1761, aged eighty-one
years. His children were : Jeremiah, Joseph, J\ioses,
Mary, Samuel (died young), another Samuel. David,
Francis, Jonathan, Philip and John, all of whom
were of his first union.

(IV) Jonathan, eighth son and ninth child of
Joseph and Hannah (Brocklebank) Nehon, was
born in Rowley, July 27, 1723. He served as a
soldier in the French war, and afterward settled as
a pioneer in Perrystown, New Hampshire, where
he assisted in constructing the first highways, and
it is said that with other early settlers there he
hewed the logs for the first meeting house in ]Mill
Village. He resided on what was known as the mill
lot, and occupied it for a number of years, or un-
til his removal to Sutton, New Hamps"hire, whither
he was soon followed (or perhaps accompanied)
by his two sons, Asa and Philip, from whom have

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 106 of 149)