Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 107 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 107 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

descended a numerous posterity. He had been a
deacon of the church in Rowley, and forever after-
ward preserved his allegiance to the church, not
alone contenting himself with merely professing
piet}-, but labored incessantly for the propagation of
religious work. In manner he was kind and
pleasant, and in personal appearance he was tall,
slender and remarkably erect even in old age. He
died in 1801. December 24, 1752, he married Han-
nah Cheney, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, who died
July 14, 1802. and it is quite probable that she was
his second wife, as a record found in Rowley states
that Jonathan Nelson, on ]\Iarch 10, 1743 or 1744,
filed his intention to marry INIary Peasley, or Pearse,
but no further knowledge relative to this marriage
is obtainable. His wife Hannah bore him three chil-



dren: Betsey, born March 11, 1753; Asa, born April

2, 1754; and Philip, who is the next in line of
descent. All were natives of Rowley.

(V) Philip (2), youngest child of Jonathan and
Hannah (Cheney) Nelson, was born in Rowley,
June 3, 1756. At the connnenccment of the war for
national independence he espoused the cause of
patriotism, and after his discharge from the conti-
nental service he resumed the implements of peace,
settling upon a farm on Nelson's Hill in the western
part of Sutton, where he resided for the rest of his
life. In addition to general farming he transacted
quite an extensive cattle business, and he also had
other outside interests of considerable importance.
He died September 4, 1841. His first wife, whom
.he married October 24, 1778, was Hannah Quimby,
who was born in Sutton, October 18, 1758, and
died April 16, 1831. March 28, 1834, he married
for his second wife Elizabeth Goodwin. He was
the father of six children : Moses, Jonathan, Judith,
Plannah, Philip and William.

(VI) Philip (3), third son and fifth child of
Philip (2) and Hannah (Quimby) Nelson, was born
in Sutton, December 22, 1790. He was a butcher
and carried on business for some years in Amos-
Jceag. He was married, October 17, 1813, to Mary
Teel, who was born in Goffstown, August 4, 1793,
daughter of Aaron and Rebecca (Tweed) Teel. She
Tjecame the mother of eight children, namely : j\Iil-
ton, Judith, Mary T. (died young), John A. T.,
William, jMar^', Susan aiid Celinda.

(VII) John A. T., second son and fourth child
of Philip and Mary (Teel) Nelson, was born in
Woburn, jMassachusetts, 1826. He learned the
butchering business, which he followed for a short
time, and then became a drover, residing about four
3'ears in Franklin and moving from that place to
Hill Village. Removing to Pennacook he carried
on the clothing business there some nine years, and
was engaged in the same line of trade for about
two year's in Manchester. In 1873 he purchased a
farm in Candia, and cultivated it successfully for
the succeeding twenty years, or until his death,
which occurred in 1893. Politically he acted with
the Republican party. In his religious belief he was
a Congregationalist. His fraternal affiliations were
with the Masonic Order. He married Deborah Nor-
ton, daughter of ]\Ioses Norton of Cabot, Vermont.
The children of this union are : Mary E., Flora I.,
John B., Allan H., William S., Selinda and Jen-
Tiie W.

(VIII) Allan H., second son and fourth child
of John A. T. and Deborah (Norton) Nelson, was
born in Franklin, March 14, 1858. After concluding
his attendance at the Pennacook high school he was
employed as a store clerk in Manchester for a time,
and in 1878 he went to reside in Candia. He has fol-
lowed agriculture to some extent and was for a num-
ber of years connected with the shoe manufacturing
industry. In 1900 he was appointed deputy sheriff
•of Rockingham county, and is still serving in that
capacity. In politics he is a Republican and holds
the office of supervisor. He attends the Congrega-
tional Church. He is a Master IMason, belonging to
Rockingham Lodge, and also affiliates with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In 1878 Mr.
Nelson married for his first wife Clara Rowe, a wcll-
Icnown school teacher, daughter of Freeman and
Angeline (Dow) Rowe of Candia. She died July

3. 1883, leaving one child, Philip Allan. His second
wife, whom he married February 7, 1892, was Carrie
B. Rowe, daughter of Charles H. and Jennie
(Worthen) Rqwc, of Candia. She was educated

at the Pembroke Academy and also taught school

The children of this union are : John H., born Au-
gust I, 1892; and Clara B., born January 19, 1896.
Mr. Nelson's second wife died Alay 19, 1905.

(IX) Philip Allan, son of Allan H. and Clara
(Rowe) Nelson, was born June 26, 1883. He was
three years with the John B. Varick Hardware
Company, of JNIanchester, and is now in New
Mexico, with the Lake Valley i\Iining Company.
He married, August 19, 1907, Effie Lucy, of Man-

This name is of Scotch origin, and
NELSON in its primitive form meant "the son

of Neil." The present branch came
directly from Scotland, and its early members
played an important part in the settlement of Rye-
gate, Vermont. So far as can be traced there is
no connection between this line and the one de-
scended from Thomas Nelson, whose history has
previously been written. '

(I) William Nelson, or Neilson (the name is
spelt both ways in Scotland, even by members of
the same family), was born in 1742, in Scotland.
In the year 1774 he migrated from the parish of
Erskine, in Renfrewshire, to this country, bringing
with him his wife and three children — William,
R.obert and Mary. The story of the exodus is
interesting. In the winter of 1773 a company was
formed by a number of farmers near Glasgow, in
Scotland, for the purpose of buying a large tract
of land in America. David Allen and James White-
law were sent on to explore, and after -a search of
five months they bought outright the south half
of the township of Ryegate, Vermont, which town-
ship contained twenty-three thousand acres. The
owner was Rev. John Witherspoon, D. D., president
of Princeton College, and later a signer of the
Declaration of Independence, to whom the land had
been chartered by New Hampshire. In 1774 ten
Scotchmen (William Nelson, John Waddle, James
Nelson, half brother to William; Thomas McKeith,
Patrick Lang, David Reid, Robert Gammel, Robert
Tweadale, and ^^.ndrew and James Smith) came
over to settle the wilderness, four of whom, Wil-
liam Nelson, David Reid, Robert Gammel and Rob-
ert Tweadale, brought their families with them.
Nelson seems to have been one of the bravest men
of the party. The first year they were in great
danger from the Indians, and had to move to New-
bury, Vermont. Before leaving, Nelson filled A large
Scotch chest with a variety of articles, and buried
it for safety's sake. The party stayed at Newbury
for a while, but were obliged to return or starve
because of their crops that had been planted at
Ryegate. Nelson came back first and lived alone
in a hut for some time, sleeping with his gun by
his side, saying "It is better to die by the sword
than famine." In 1776, when the town of Ryegate
was organized. Nelson was appointed constable, and
soon after was made selectman. In 1793 Nelson
and two others were appointed managers of the
company, taking the deeds from General Whitelaw,
who could no longer act as agent, having been
appointed surveyor general of Vermont. JBesides
carrying on his farm in Ryegate, William Nelson
built a saw and grist mill on the Connecticut, at
Canoe, later called Dodge's Falls, being the first
to dam the river at that point. He accumulated large
tracts of good farm land in Ryegate and Monroe,
New Hampshire (or West Lyman, as it was then
called), turning over to his sons William and Robert
all the land bordering on the Connecticut river from
Barnet bridge to the Littleton line. William Nel-
son's wife, whom he married in 1765. was Jean



Stewart, born in Erskinc in 1/37- but not much is
known about her. It is said that she was short and
thickset, and very industrious, and would work
very late evenings, while she would banter her hus-
band because he did not do the same. •'Ould Wil-
lie," as he was called, would retort that she ought
to work more than he because she was the oldest.
She was born five years before him, and died six
year sooner than he did. She died September 15,
1825, aged eighty-eight years. He died January
23, 1831, and is buried at Ryegate Corner beside his
wife and daughter Mary. Their children were as
follows: I. William, born in Erskine, Ren-
frewshire, Scotland, in 1767, died September
29, 1830, in JNIonroe, New Hampshire, aged
sixty-three years; he married Hannah Moore,
of Bow, New Hampshire, about 1791-92; they
had nine children, six sons and three daughters;
she died in 1828; second marriage, Hannah Nelson,
of Ryegate. 2. Robert, born in Inchinan (Ancient
Killian) parish, Renfrev/shire, Scotland, in April,
1770, and died in Monroe, New Hampshire, March
20, 1848, aged seventy-eight, minus one month; he
was married in Ryegate, December 26, 1793, to
Agnes Gray, of Ryegate, who was born April 9,
1778, and died June 18, 1850, by Rev. David Good-
willie, of Earnet; they had fourteen children, nine
daughters and five sons. 3. Mary, born March or
April, 1772, in Erskine parish, Scotland, died in
Ryegate, October 6, 1825, aged fifty-three years ;
she was married to Hugh Gardner, February 9,
1781, by Josiah Page, Esq.; they had twelve chil-
dren, nine daughters and three sons. Her daughter
Isabel married Edward Miller, who came from
Erskine and settled in Ryegate, and to their son
Edward we are indebted for practically all of the
data extant relating to the Nelson family. The
genealogical matter collected by Mr. Miller is in
the hands of William S. Nelson. 4. John, born
about February 5, 1776, in Ryegate, being the sec-
ond boy born in Ryegate; he died September 5,
1854, aged seventy-eight years and seven months ;
he married Jane Duncan, of Barnet, about March 11,
1814, and Polly Ann Finley. of Acworth, New Hamp-
shire, about 1819. Eight children, five daughters
and three sons. A eulogy of John Nelson by Rev.
James McArthur was published in the Vermont
Quarterly for October, 1862. 5. James, born in June,
1778, died June 23, 1840, aged sixty-two years; he
married Agnes Gibson, December 28, 1808; he mar-
ried (second), Jean Rohan, widow of Andrew
Buchanan, June, 1839; they had ten children, six
sons and four daughters. He was a man of affairs,
and represented the town of Ryegate in the legis-
lature five successive terms. The oldest son. Dr.
William Nelson, was an eminent physician in Cam-
bridge, New York. 6. Thomas, born in Ryegate,
April 4, 1780, died November 30, i860, aged eighty
years and seven months ; he was married September
28, 1804, by Rev. David Southerland, to Mary Allen,
of Ryegate; they had twelve children, eight daugh-
ters and four sons. 7. Jenett, born about 1782, in
Ryegate, died about 1794. 8. Isabel, born in Ryegate
in 1785, died in Groton, March 14, 1831, in her forty-
sixth year ; she married Peter McLaughlin, of Gro-
ton, about June 16, 1809; they had seVen children,
six daughters and one son. Summary of grandchil-
dren : Twenty-eight sons, and fortj'-four daughters;
total, seventy-two. Ten died in infancy or child-
hood, viz : Robert had three, Mary three, James
one, Thomas two, Isabel one.

(II) William (2), eldest son of William (i)
and Jean (Stewart) Nelson, was born in 1767, in
Erskine, Scotland, and came to this country with

his parents in 1774. He and his brother Robert lived:
in Ryegate, Vermont, until men grown, when they
moved across the river to JNIonroe, New Hampshire,,
upon the lands given them by their father, as referred
to. William (2) Nelson married (first) Hannah
Moore, of Bow, New Hampshire, about 1791. She
died January 3, 1828, aged fifty-six years. He mar-
ried (second), 1829, Hannah Nelson, of Ryegate.
She was the widow of Henry Buchanan, and died
May 7, 1839, aged fifty-nine years. William (2)
died in Monroe, New Hampshire, September 19,.
1830, aged sixty-three years. His children are as
follows : I. William (3), was born in Monroe in 1792,.
and died November 9, 1840, aged forty-eigth years.
He married Lima Hibbard, of Bath, New Hampshire,,
who died about 1854. They had no children. 2.
Elsie, born, 1794, died August 3, 1818, aged twenty-
four. 3. Hannah, born 1799, died February 15, 1833,
aged thirty-four. She married Michael M. Stevens of
Monroe, New Hampshire, who died April 11, 1851,.
aged fifty-one. There w^ere four children, three
boys and one girl. 4. John, born October 16, 1801,
died February 15, 1865. He married Harriet Kelsea,
of Derby, Vermont. They had seven children. 5.
Richard Moore, born in 1806, died in Monroe, No-
vember 19, 1849. He married Margaret Ferguson,,
of Monroe, who died at ■Nlonticello, Illinois, 1878.
They had three children, all girls. 6. Robert Stewart,
born in 1808, died at Hillsborough, Illinois, aged
about fifty. He married Eliza Kelsea, of Derby, Ver-
mont, sister to Harriet, mentioned above. They
had three children, two boys and one girl. 7. Ben-
jamin, born August 9, 1812, married Emily, daughter
of James Moore, of Monroe, April 18, 1836. They
had nine children, seven sons and three daughters.
He went to Illinois, and died about 1884. 8. Mary
Gardner (Maria), born January 10, 1815, married
Eben W. Blake, of Brighton, Maine, January 13,
1836. He died October 25, 1874, aged sixty-five.
They had five children, one son and four daughters.
She died in Littleton, New Hampshire, March 15,.
1885. 9. Rev. Horatio, born September 11, 1818,
in Monroe, New Hampshire. In 1836 he married
Angeline, daughter of James Moore, born April 21,
1818, in Monroe, who died June 18, 1877. They had
.eight children. He died in Illinois about 1888.

John, son of William {2) and Mary (Moore)
Nelson, was born at Monroe, New Hampshire, Oc-
tober 16, 1801, and died February 15, 1865. Jan-
uary 15, 1823, he was married at Derby, Vermont,,
to Harriet Kelsea, of that place, by John Stewart,
Esq. She was born in Albany, Vermont, August 8,
1803, and was the daughter of Daniel Kelsea and
and Mary Mansfield Kelsea, who was born in Lon-
donderry, New Hampshire, and son of Hugo Kelso,,
one of the Scotch Irish immigrants from London-
derry, Ireland. Both John Nelson and his wife died
at Monroe, where they spent nearly all their lives.
Their children were as follows : i. William Curtis,,
born in Monroe, New Hampshire, March 2, 1824,
and died January i, 1865. He married Percis Paddle-
ford, a daughter of Seth Paddleford, about 1850.
They had one son and one daughter. 2. George,
born July 23, 1826, died August 4, 1826. 3. Eliza
Ann, born November 30, 1830, died November 10,
1848. 4. John Milton, born June 5, 1833, married
Sarah Wilson, of Jacksonville. Illinois, in 1856. She
died in Jacksonville in 1871. They had no children.

He married (second), about 1880, Mary • , and

she had one child, James ]\IiIton. John Milton died
in Grinnell, Iowa, April 17, 1882. 5. Edwin, born
September i, 1836, married Phebe J. Gibson, of
Lyman, New Hampshire, August 26, j86o. 6. Almon,,.
born July 7, 1840, died November 17, 1841. 7. Henry

ZU^ .XuXa-<<y'v.^ - ,



•Clinton, born September 21,, 1844, married, March
-29, 1866, Mary Moulton, who was Ijorn in Bath, New
Hampshire, March 11, 1846. They have one son,
-and live on the John Nelson farm in Monroe.

Edwin, tifth child of John and Harriet (Kelsea)
Nelson, was born at Monroe, September i, 1836,
and lives in Lyman, New Hampshire. He is a
farmer and lived in the adjoining town of Monroe
until 1872. wlicn he moved to Lyman, his present
home. He married (first), August 26, i860, Phebe
Jane Gibson, daughter of Samuel and Mercy (Hos-
kins) Gibson, of Lyman, who was born February 23,
1842, and died January i, 1877. They had four
children : i. William Stewart, whose sketch follows.
2. Albert John, born in Monroe, April 19, 1865, died
there September 10, 1868. 3. Frank Kelsea, born in
Monroe, January 21, 1870, lives in Lisbon. 4. George
Edwin, born in Monroe, January 14, 1872, died in
Lyman, September 23, 1872. Edwin Nelson married
(second), Anna Hadley, in 1879; no children. He
married (third), Irena Scales, in 1888; one child,
Marian Belle.

William Stewart, oldest son of Edwin and Phebe
Jane (Gibson) Nelson, was born June 6, 1861, in
Monroe, New Hampshire. He received a few
months schooling in Alonroe and Lyman, and when
quite young went to work in a peg factory in Lisbon
Village. He began work as a "chore boy" at seven-
teen cents a day of eleven hours, but believing then
as now that anything worth doing at all was worth
doing well, he did whatever was before him the
best he possibly could, and he says that whatever
small success he had had in business since is wholly
•due to that idea. Very soon a better position was
given him, and continuing in this way he learned
all parts of the very complicated business of making
pegs, and in 1884 became superintendent of the
factory. In December, 1887, he went to Los Angeles,
California, for the benefit of his wife's health, and
while there was manager of circulation on the Los
Angeles Times for the east side. He returned to
Lisbon in June 1890, and found the peg business
which had been carried on in a desultory manner
for some ' years entirely dead. One factory with
liabilities of more than $100,000 was in the hands
of the sherifif, and the other had lost its market
because of the poor quality of the goods manufac-
tured, and it was freely said by those most interested
that no more pegs would be made, as there was no
money in the business at the prevailing export prices.
After several interviews Mr. Nelson convinced Ovid
D. Moore and Fred J. Moore that a peg
factory under common sense management would
at the least pay its own bills, and Decem-
ber I, 1890, they began business in what was
known as the old mill under the firm name of the
JMoore Peg Company. Although pegs had been
made in this mill for a number of years, it had
never really been fitted up as a peg factory ; it was
■simply an experiment in the machinery line, and
anyone who has had experience with the mechanical
failures of other people will appreciate the situation
of the new firm. Mr. Nelson had entire charge of
the mechanical part of the business, and he over-
bauled the machinery as thoroughly as was possible
in the time at his disposal, and proceeded to make
a sample lot of pegs to be used in securing a market.
At this time split wood pegs for boots and shoes
had ceased to be of any commercial account in this
country, and the European market, being controlled
Ijy a few large firms was limited. The sample lot
was submitted to the largest peg dealer in Europe,
and he was so well pleased with the quality of the
goods that he at once agreed to take the whole pro-

duction of the factory. The business was a success
from the start, in spite of the experimental machin-
ery, and was continued in the old building until

1896, when it was decided to erect a new factory on
practical lines. In this year Mr. Nelson made a
journey to Europe in the interest of the business,
and upon his return completed plans of machinery
and buildings for an entire new plant, which was
erected at the east end of Main street, Lisbon, in

1897. As has been said, Mr. Nelson believes in
doing things well, and as economy is 0/ first impor-
tance in making goods for export, the main idea
with him in building the new factory was that it
should be a machine that would turn out the largest
possible quantity of good pegs at the smallest pos-
sible cost. His success may be judged from the
fact that although the new factory was equipped
with the same number of machines as the old one,
the production of pegs was one-fourth larger, and
the amount of fuel used for both heat and power
was less than was used in the old factory for heat
alone. As to machinery it is enough to say that all
of the peg machines now running in the United
States are patterned after those designed by I\Ir.
Nelson in 1896. Upon the death of Ovid D. Moore,
in 1902, Mr. Nelson bought the interest of the estate
and Fred J. Moore in the business, and has con-
tinued by himself in the manufacture of shoe pegs
until the present time, under the original firm name
of the Moore Peg Company, and has the distinction
of being the only man in this countrj' who manu-
factures and exports shoe pegs. He employs no
agents, but takes his timber from the forests and
delivers the finished product in Germanj^, France,
Denmark, Russia, Turkey, Italy, Austria, Hungary,
Mexico and South America, himself. Mr. Nelson
is a Republican in politics, is not (as he says) a
"joiner," but he has a librarj' that a reader would like
to see. July 3, 1886, Mr. Nelson married Genevieve
Moore, daughter of Ovid D. and Harriet I. (How-
land) Moore, a lady of fine literary mind, who was
born in Bristol, New Hampshire, November 10, 1856,
and died in Lisbon, May 11, 1894. (See Moore, V).

It is of interest to note that Mr. Nelson and his
first wife both descended from John Moore, (Moor,
or Muir, as the name was originally), one of the
Scotch Irish company who settled in Londonderry,
New Hampshire, in 1722. The line on his side runs
back as follows : William S. Nelson, Phebe J. Gibson,
Samuel Gibson, Mary JNIoore, John Moore, Elder Wil-
liam Moore, John Moore ; and on his wife's side. Gen-
evieve jNIoore, Ovid D. Moore, Joseph Moore, Cap-
tain Robert Moore, Colonel Robert IMoore, John
Moore. Mr. Nelson married (second), November
II, 1903, Eva Dennett, who died January 21, 1905.

The family of this name was early in
FURBER the Dover settlement, and all the
Furbers of that region may be de-
scended from one immigrant ancestor.

(I) William Furber was born in London, Eng-
land, in 1614, and died in Dover, New Hampshire,
in 1692. He shipped from Bristol, England, in the
ship "Angel Gabriel," and was- wrecked in a storm
off Pemaquid, Maine, in the great storm of August,
1635. He was later a citizen of Dover, one of the
witnesses of the true deed of independence to
Wheelwright, 1638, a representative in 1648, and in
1683 one of the two hundred and fifty citizens of
Dover. Portsmouth, Exeter, and Hampton, who
sent King Charles II a remonstrance against the
oppressive administration of Governor Cranfield.

William Furber married Elizabeth , and

they had six children : William, Jethro, Moses,



Elizabeth, Susanna and Bridget. Two or more
generations must have passed away before the rec-
ords show a definite account of the Furbers again.

(IV) Captain Joshua Furber was born in New-
ington, May 24, 1744. He removed to Nortlnvood
in 1767, and died there April 27, 1827. He was a
member of Captain Enoch Payne's company, of
Lieutenant Colonel Senter's regiment, enlisted Sep-
tember 4, 1777, mustered in September 20, 1777,
and discharged January 7, 1778, serving in the
Rhode Island campaign. He was also a private in
Captain Edward Hilton's company,. Colonel Joshua
Wingate's regiment, New Hampshire Volunteers in
the expedition to Rhode Island in 1778, serving
from August 6 to August 28. In after years lie
was known as "Captain of the Parish." The Rev-
olutionary Records show that he was one of the
selectmen of Northwood in 1781. He manufac-
tured potash on a considerable scale, by filtering
and evaporating the lye of wood ashes. He also
made what is commercially known as pearlash from
potash, by calcenation. His- principal market for
it was in Newburyport. Massachusetts. Captain
Furber married Betsey Page, and they had eleven
children : Moses, Catherine. John, Nancy, Betsy,
Thomas and Josephine (twins), Mary, William,
David and Samuel.

(V) David Furber. tenth child and sixth son
of Captain Joshua and Betsey Page, was born in
Northwood, September 12, 1787, and died December
31. 1858. Fle was engaged in farming and saw
milling. About 1814 he built the house at Furber's
Corner, which is still in possession of a member of
the family. He married Sally Haley, of Epping.
Their children were : Samuel H., mentioned below ;
William H., twin brother of Samuel : Franklin,
Methodist clergyman ; and Martha, who marrie 1
Samuel F. Leavitt, of Northwood.

(VI) Samuel H., eldest child of David and Sally
(Haley) Furber, was born in Northwood, August
I, 1814, and died 1899, aged eighty-five. He always
lived on the old homestead, to the ownership of
which he succeeded after the death of his father.
He married Mary Leavitt, who was born 1814,

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 107 of 149)