Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 121 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 121 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

(VI) Ichabod, son of John (2) and Tamson
(Ricker) Tibbetts, was born about 1745, but the
date of his death is not known. He resided in
Dover, and married Hannah, daughter of Jeremiah
and Lydia Tibbetts, of Barrington, New Hampshire.
She was born February 10, 1754, and died in 1831.
They had twelve children.

(VII) John (3). son of Ichabod and Hannah



(Tibbetts) Tibbetts, was born July S, 1784, and
died in 1821. He resided in Dover, New Hampshire,
and was a farmer. He married Deborah Ham, of
Barrington, New Hampshire, who died F"ebruary
8, 1858. They had four children.

(VHI) Samuel Ham, eldest child of John (3)
and Deborah (Ham) Tibbetts, was born February
II, 1807, and died September 23, 1858. He resided
at Dover, and married, December 7, 1826, Belinda,
daughter of Joseph and Mary (Hayes) Cross, of
Rochester, New Hampshire. She was born April

23, 1808, and died October 29, 1846. He had six

(IX) John Winslovv, second child of Samuel
Ham and Belinda (Cross) Tibbetts, was born Janu-
ary 5, 1831, in Dover, New Hampshire. He at-
tended the common schools, and at the age of eight-
een years apprenticed himself to the carpenter trade,
and for two years worked for Woodbury S. Manes,
a prominent builder of that day. In 1850 he settled
in Rochester, where he became a master carpenter
and worked at his trade a part of the time until
about 1890, being also employed a large part of
that time in lumbering, at which he did a quite
extensive business. In 1862 he engaged in the
livery business as a member of the tirm of Tibbetts
& Hays, which existed until 1880. In 1879 he erected
the Glendon House at East Rochester, and has
since been its proprietor, making the enterprise a
success from the start, and never selling a drop of
liquor. He has a warm interest in the affairs of
the town, and has been a director in the Loan and
Banking Company of Rochester for ten years past.
In early manhood he was a Whig, and cast his first
presidential ballot for General Scott in 1852. When
the Republican party rose to power he joined its
ranks and has ever since been one of its faithful
supporters. He was selectman for two years im-
mediately preceding the incorporation of Rochester
as a city, and councilman the two following years.
In 1873 and 1875 he was a representative in the
state legislature. He is a Mason, and a member of
Humane Lodge, No. 21, of Rochester; Temple Royal
Arch Chapter, No. 20, and Orphan Council, No. 7,
Royal and Select Masters. He is also a member of
Cocheco Lodge, No. 39, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, of East Rochester, which he helped to
organize, and of Norway Plains Encampment, No.
39, same order.

He married (first), in May, 1854, Charlotte F.
Chamberlain, who died January i, 1857, daughter of
Amos Chamberlain, of Lebanon. He married (sec-
ond), December, 1857, Clara W. Blaisdell, who was
born in Lebanon, Maine, and died in Rochester,
April 20, 1896, daughter of Jonathan and Sally
Blaisdell. Two children were born of this union :
Cora B., born July 12, 1858, married Joseph O.
Hayes; and Avie E., born October 13, 1864, died
January 14, 1890.

(Ill) Thomas, second son of Jeremiah (i)
and Mary (Canney) Tebbets, was born February

24, 1659, and resided at Dover Neck, a few rods be-
low the site of the old church on the hill, on the
westerly side of the highway. For many years he
was town clerk of Dover, and to him we are indebted
for the collecting and preservation of nearly all
of the vital records of early Dover. At the break-
ing out of King William's war he entered the Co-
lonial army and was promoted from time to time
until he became captain. He was also in the service
during Queen Anne's war. He was an extensive
land owner in Dover and vicinity. He married Ju-
dith, daughter of Deacon John Dame, who had for-
merly resided on the same farm. Captain Tebbets

had eight children. As will be seen, this branch
uses a different spelling from the others.

(IV) Moses, seventh child of Captain Thomas
and Judith (Dame) Tebbets, was born January 27,
1701. The date of his death is not known, but
he was living in 1748. He was a farmer and shoe-
maker and removed to that part of Dover which is
now Rollinsford. He married, March 18, 1725, Mary,
daughter of John and Grizzel Keay, of Berwick,
Maine. She was baptized April 25, 1703, and died
May 10, 1788, aged eighty-eight years. They had
four children.

(V) Ebenezer, third child of Moses and Grizzel
(Keay) Tebbets, was born in July, 1738, and died
June 22, 1798, aged fifty-nine' years and eleven
months. He removed to Berwick, Maine, where he
purchased a large farm. He married Sarah Larey,
who died February 18, 1823, aged eighty-three years.
They were the parents of five children.

(VI) James, youngest child of Ebenezer and
Sarah (Larey) Tebbets, was born May 23, 1781,
and resided in Berwick, Maine. He was a farmer
and owned one of the best farms in that town, where
he died April 20, 1861. He married Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of Jeremiah and Anna (Pray) Emery, of
Shapleigh, Maine. She was born July 20, 1789,.
ana died July 19, 1863. They had eight chil-

(VII) Ebenezer Armstrong, seventh child of
James and Elizabeth (Emery) Tebbets, was born
August I, 1824, at Berwick, Maine, and died in
December, 1898. He removed to Somersworth, New
Hampshire, in 1842, and was a prominent citizen
and successful merchant of that place for fifty-
six years. He married, September 2, 1852, Jane
Amanda, daughter of Captain Daniel and Lydia
(Towne) Nason, of Kennebunk, Maine. She died
September, 1897. They had five children. He
adopted the use of the letter "i" in the first syllable
of his name.

(VIII) William Sewall, eldest child of Ebenezer
Armstrong and Jane Amanda (Nason) Tibbets,
was born March 2, 1854, in Somersworth, and at-
tended the public schools of that place. He gradu-
ated from the Phillips Exeter Academy in 1872.
From the date of his graduation until 1881, he
was a clerk of the hardware firm of Tibbets and
Brother, at Somersworth. In' 1881 he was taken
in as a partner by his father under the firm name
of E. A. Tibbets & Son. In 1897 he was offered
the position of cashier of the Great Falls National
Bank, but not liking national bank work he de-
clined. In 1898 he was elected treasurer of the
Somersworth Savings Bank, which office he has
continuously held until the present time (1907).
The bank has increased in size and strength during
his incumency, and is today rated as one of the
very cleanest and safest savings banks in this state,
not only in respect to its investments and securities
but also its simple yet carefully guarded methods of
doing the business and the bookkeeping of the insti-
tution. In 1905 he was elected president of the First
National Bank of Somersworth. He married, De-
cember 23, 1883, Carrie Russell Perkins, of Somers-
worth. She was born there February 26, 1864.
They are the parents of three children, namely :
Albert Perkins, born November 14, 1884; Jane
Nason, December 16, 1888; William Armstrong, De-
cember 3, 1891.

(Ill) Ephraim, sixth son of Jeremiah (i) and
]\Iary (Canney) Tibbetts, was born about 1669. It
is not known when he died, but he was living as
late as 1751. He resided at Dover Neck, and was
by trade a blacksmith. He belonged to the Society


^, — '^H^/t/u/- ^



c^ '-^C^jgc^/^c/u^^^O^ ^




of Friends. He married Rose, daughter of Thomas
and Anne Austin, of Dover. She was born April
3, 1678, and died in 1755, aged seventy-seven years.
They were the parents of eleven children.

(IV) Aaron, seventh child of Ephraim and
Rose (Austin) Tibbetts, was born February 26,
1701. He was a Friend, and resided at Dover for
many years, then removed to Rochester, New Hamp-
shire, living on what is called the Walnut Grove
road. He married Penelope Richardson, of Kittery,
Maine, and they had a family of five children.

(V) Stephen, eldest child of Aaron and Pene-
lope (Richardson) Tibbetts, was born a1)out 1727,
and died in Buxton, Maine, in 1816. He resided in
Berwick, Maine, for many years, finally removing
to Buxton, that state. He was a Friend, also a hard-
working, industrious farmer. His wife's name was
Alice, her surname is supposed to have been Haynes.
The date of her death is not known. They had
eight children.

(VI) Ephraim (2), son of Stephen and Alice
Tibbetts, was born September, 1754, and died Oc-
tober 21, 1836. He was a farmer, and settled in
Lebanon, Maine. He married (first) Eunice Tib-
betts, of Rochester, New Hampshire, by whom he
had one child. She died and he married (second)
his second cousin, Esther Tibbetts. of Rochester,

^ born January 9, 1762, daughter of Elijah, who was a
son of Ephraim Tibbetts. She died July 31, 1851.
They were the parents of nine children.

(VII) George, son of Ephraim and Esther
(Tibbetts) Tibbetts, was born March 12, 1795, and
•died July 20, 1873. He resided at Lebanon, Maine,
where he followed the occupation of farmer. He
stood six feet in height and weighed two hundred
and five pounds, and was at one time the strongest
man in town. He married, July 21, 1821, Mary
Foss, of Lebanon, who died April 13, 1888. They
had a family of nine children.

(VIII) Orland Harriman, son of George and
Mary (Foss) Tibbetts, was born October 19, 1823,
and died March 22, 1870. He resided in Lebanon,
Maine, his farm being about a half-mile north of
Blaisdell's Corner, and was a_ hard working farmer.
He married, November 28, 1844. Lydia Ann, daugh-
ter of Benjamin and Abigail Place (Richardson)
Clark, of Rochester, New Hampshire. She died
February 10, 1872. They were the parents of two

(IX) Charles Wesley, eldest child of Orland
Harriman and Lydia Ann (Clark) Tibbetts, was

'born July 5, 1846, in Lebanon, Maine, and was
reared on his father's farm at that place. He was
educated in the public schools of that town, and
afterward took an advanced course of study at the
West Lebanon Academy. He began teaching school
in the fall of 1868, and taught during the winter
season for three years, reading law when not teach-
ing at the office of William Emery, Esquire, in
Lebanon. In the fall of 1871 he removed to Somers-
worth. New Hampshire, where his law studies were
continued at the office of William J. Copeland,
Esquire. In the fall of 1873 he was admitted to
the practice of law, and soon settled in Farmington,
New Hampshire, where he was engaged in his
profession for five years. In January, 1879, he re-
moved to Dover, New Hampshire, where he has
since resided, and has engaged in buying and selling
real estate on his own account, especially beach
property. In 1887 he became deeply interested in
genealogical research. He was chiefly instrumental
in the incorporation and organization of the New
Hampshire Genealogical Society, 1903, and since that
time has been the financial agent and librarian of

that society. He also edits and publishes for that
society a magazine, called the "New Hampshire
Genealogical Record." He married, June 4, 1870,
Hannah Chandler, daughter of Oliver and Dorcas
R. (Blaisdell) Shapleigh, of Lebanon. She was
born September 27, 1849. They have two children,
namely: Laona Lydia, born August 28, 1871, at
Somersworth, New Hampshire, and Rosa Dorcas,
March 21, 1873, at Chelsea, Massachusetts.

This name, of remote French origin,
GUERTIN was borne by one of the pioneers
of lower Canada, and is traced as
far back as 1635 to one Louis Guertin, of Daumeray,
F'rance, married to Georgette LeDuc, whose son
Louis emigrated to Canada, and was married at
Montreal, January 26, 1659, to Elisabeth LeCamus,
daughter of Dr. Pierre LeCamus and Jeanne Charles,
of Paris. This Louis Guertin was the founder of
the Guertin family in America.

(I) One of the descendants, Toussaint Guertin,
was married to Adelaide Dup'ont, at St. Antoine
de Chambly, of which place both were natives.
They settled on a farm at St. Jude, county of St.
Hyacinthe, and eleven children were born of that

(II) George Guertin, son of Toussaint Guertin,
was born at St. Jude, and served an apprentice-
ship at St. Hyacinthe at the trade of harness maker.
He married Louise Lefebvre, daughter of Francois
Lefebvre, of St. Hugues, Province of Quebec. In
1864 he came to the United States, and establishing
himself in business as a harness maker in Nashua,
New Hampshire, he acquired through his industrious
habits a comfortable prosperity. Ten children were
born of that marriage, four of whom are living,
namely : Rev. George Albert, of whom later.
John, who receives meiition in this article. Alida,
wife of A. M. Richards, of Nashua. Augustine,
married to Adelard Labrecque, resides in Manchester,
New Hampshire. George Guertin was a man of
keen intelligence, took a deep interest in Republican
institutions, became a naturalized American citizen,
and served with marked ability ' on the Nashua
board of aldermen. His death occurred in that city
in 1902.

(III) Bishop George Albert Guertin, of New
Hampshire, son of George and Louise (Lefebvre)
Guertin, was born in Nashua, New Hampshire,
February 17, 1869. He acquired his early education
in the public and parochial schools of Nashua, after
which he went to Sherbrooke, Province of Quebec,
entering St. Charles College as a student, and here
took the full commercial course and a part of the
classical course. Then going to St. Hyacinthe Col-
lege, at St. Hyacinthe, Province of Quebec, he com-
pleted his classical studies. He then entered St.
John's Seminary at Brighton, Massachusetts, where
he took his theological course.

Bishop Guertin was ordained to the holy priest-
hood by the Rt. Rev. Denis M. Bradley, December
17, 1892, in St. Louis de Gonzague Church in
Nashua, New Hampshire, being the first in that
parish to be ordained in the church of his native
city. This event was looked forward to with so
much interest by the people who had long admired
the young student, that on that memorable day the
edifice was filled to its utmost capacity. On several
solemn occasions he was called upon to preach
the word of God in the temple, where as a boy
he had worshipped. On such occasions the church
would be thronged with the congregation who took
such legitimate pride in this Nashua boy, and whose
eloquent words they were so eager to hear. With



great interest they followed his career, feeling confi-
dent that this gifted priest was destined to do
some great work in the vineyard of the Lord.

His initial assignment was that of assistant to
the Rev. J. A. Chevalier, P. R., of St. Augustine's
Church, Manchester, in which capacity he served
four years and three months. The zeal displayed
by the newly-ordained priest in the discharge of
his duties, his fervor for the things of God, his
ready sympathy for every sorrow, soon won him
the afifection of the whole community. It was
not long before his talent as a preacher was recog-
nized by the worshippers at St. Augustine. But
the first opportunity afforded the public of i\Ian-
chester to hear the youii"^ speaker was at the cele-
bration of the semi-centennial of the Queen city,
where in an eloquent address to the school children
assembled on the Straw grounds he gave proofs
of his great ability as an orator. It was with heart-
felt sorrow that the people of St. Augustine's parish
heard of ]<"ather Guertin's assignment to the Sacred
Heart Church at Lebanon, New Hampshire, of which
the Rev. Martin Egan was then pastor. Here he
remained three years and seven months, endearing
himself to the members of his church, among whom
he labored unceasingly.

It was during Father Guertin's stay at Lebanon
that Bishop Bradley first conceived the plan of
having missions preached throughout the state, to
which non-Catholics would be invited. His choice
fell on the curate of Lebanon as the one best fitted
to conduct these missions. But Bishop Bradley was
forced to give up this cherished plan by a vacancy
which occurred in East Manchester, and thither
was Father Guertin sent October 7, 1900, to take
charge of St. Anthony's parish, which had been
founded in 1899 by the Rev. D. C. Ling. At the
time Father Guertin was appointed pastor, a debt
had been incurred by the erection of a chapel, which
was not yet finished. It soon became apparent
that it was too small for the fast growing parish,
and Father Guertin, realizing this, bought land and
moved the church. An addition was built and the
building completed. He then opened a school in
the basement, which accommodates two hundred and
fifty children, under the supervision of four sisters
of the Holy Cross and two lay teachers. A parson-
age was built on the land adjoining the church,
into which he moved, three houses were purchased,
one used as a home for the Sisters, and the other
two are rented and net a good income to the parish.
Notwithstanding all these expenses the debt was
reduced to eleven thousand dollars, and the prop-
erty owned by the clnirch is valued at forty-five
thou.sand dollars.

Although the labors of Father Guertin were
both arduous and incessant, he always preserved a
cheerful spirit, being confident of his future reward,
and he not only endeared himself to the Catholic
population, but is also held in the highest estimation
by his neighbors and fellow-citizens irrespective of
creed or nationality. He is especially noted for his
bountiful hospitality and attractive social qualities,
and his ability as a christian worker is of inestimable
value to the general community.

The first news that the Sacred Congregation of
the Propaganda had recommended Father Guertin
to the Holy Father, Pope Pius X, as third bishop
of Manchester, was received through the Associated
Press. A dispatch from Rome to that effect was
published December 17, 1906, just fourteen years to
a day after his ordination to the priesthood. The
Papal Brief was received from Rome by IMgr.
Falconio, Apostolic delegate at Washington, who

delivered it to Bishop Guertin February 7, and on
February 12 the bishop-elect took charge of the
diocese of Manchester.

There was great rejoicing among the French-
Canadians all over the country, when the glad news
was confirmed, that one of their own had been
elevated to the dignity of Prince of the Church,
he being the first French-Canadian in the United
States to be so honored. But it was a joy tinged
with sorrow for the little flock at St. Anthony's
parish when they realized that the close ties uniting
pastor and people would be severed. On March
ID the bishop-elect bade farewell to his beloved
people of St. Anthony's. From all the parishes
of Manchester as well as from the neighboring
town, people flocked to the little chapel in East
[Manchester, all anxious to be present at this touch-
ing scene between pastor and faithful. An incident
worthy of note was the presence of Bishop-elect
Guertin at St. Louis de Gonzague Church, Nashua,
New Hampshire^ a few days before his consecration.
On that evening of March isth, the episcopal ring,
episcopal robes, and a purse were presented him as
a testimonial from the people of his native city.
Those fortunate enough to gain admission to the
crowded church will never forget the young bishop's
eloquent words as they welled up from his heart
to the lips in grateful tribute to the aged pastor,
the Rev. J. B. H. V. Milette, who had been his
spiritual adviser, to the father and mother who were
no more, to the relatives and friends who came to do
him honor.

The Rt. Rev. George Albert Guertin was conse-
crated third bishop of the diocese of Manchester
on Tuesday morning, March 19, 1907, at St. Joseph's
Cathedral, by the Most Rev. Diomede Falconio,
archbishop of Larisa and apostolic delegate. The
day for this august event was happily chosen, be-
ing on the Roman Catholic calendar, that of St.
Joseph, the patron saint of the cathedral, and the
Catholic Church in the United States. The cere-
mony was witnessed by an assemblage that filled
the cathedral, and included the state and city
officials, leading men of the city, representatives of
the various parishes of the diocese and of the vari-
ous orders having a chaplain. Clergy from all parts
of New England and Canadian provinces, arch-
bishops and bishops, monsignori and vicars-general,
pastors and curates, filled the sanctuary and the
portion of the church set apart for them. Repre-
sentatives of the various religious orders of the
state and the city, and from all New England were
there as delegates from their respective houses. The
great ecclesiastical ceremony, one of the most im-
pressive in the ritual of the Catholic Church in this
country, was attended with all the solemn splendor
befitting the occasion. The highest dignitaries of
the church in New England and Canada wearing
their robes of purple, significant of their special
rank, added splendor to the occasion. Perhaps the
most striking figure among the clergy was the
M6st Rev. John J. Williams, archbishop of Boston,
and dean of the New England hierarchy, who has
officiated at the consecration of every bishop of the
[Manchester diocese. Archbishop Williams, despite
his advanced age, having passed more than four
score, is still active in the performance of his duties.
The Most Rev. L. N. Begin, archbishop of Quebec,
the Most Rev. Paul Bruchesi, archbishop of [Mont-
real, and the Right Rev. J. S. H. Brunault, bishop
of Nicolet, were among the high dignitaries of the
church from Canada to honor the occasion with
their presence. From the New England states were
present the Most Rev. William H. O'Connell, co-



adjutor archbishop of Boston, Massachusetts, the
Right Rev. Matthew Harkins, bishop of Providence,
Rhode Island, the Right Rev. Michael Tierney,
bishop of Hartford, Connecticut, and the Right Rev.
Thomas D. Beaven, bishop of Springfield, Massachu-
setts, and the Right Rev. Louis S. Walsh, bishop of
Portland, Maine.

Bishop Guertin is possessed of those qualities
which make and retain friendships among both
pries'ts and layman, whether Catholic or Protestant,
and the rejoicing of the French-Canadians over
his elevation to the position he so ably fills was
generally shared by the citizens wherever he is
known. His kindness of heart, his keen intelligence
and his capacity as a leader are at once impressed
upon those who meet him, and his genial manners,
coupled with the dignity of bearing fitting his po-
sition, form a most happy combination that endears
him at once to the visitor. Though he has but just
begun the duties of a position which it is to be
hoped he may long fill, until further promoted in
his holy work, he readily proceeds with his labors,
without hesitancy or error, and is destined to wield
a great influence in his church and among the
evangelizing influences of the Nation.

(IH) Jean Baptiste A. Guertin, son
GUERTIN of George and Louise (Lefebvre)
Guertin, was born in Nashua, Sep-
tember 6, 1874 (see preceding article). He be-
gan his education in the public schools, which he
subsequently left to enter a parochial school and
after the conclusion of his studies he took a po-
sition as clerk in a grocery store. He later found
employment in one of the Nashua mills, but soon
relinquished that occupation in order to resume mer-
cantile business as clerk in a furniture store, where
be remained some three years, and at the expiration
of that time he once more became a mill operative.
After the death of his father, which occurred in
1902, he succeeded to the harness making business
hitherto carried on by the elder Guertin, and is now
well established in that line of trade. Mr. Guertin
is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters,
the St. Jean de Baptiste Society, the League of the
Sacred Heart, the Canado- American Association of
Manchester, and of St. Aloysius Church. He mar-
ried, July 25, 1898, Angeline Burque, daughter of
Alphonse and Louise (Dutilly) Burque, and has had
a family of five children, to of whom, Alphonse and
George, are no longer living. The survivors are
Anthony, Octave and Victor.

The Scammon family is of English
SCAMMON origin. The first of the name of

whom there is any record was
Captain Edmund Scammon who commanded a war
vessel under Admiral Rainsborough in the English
naval expedition of 1637. The English branch of
the family is represented at the present time by sev-
eral families writing themselves Seaman, that live
at or near Horncastle in Lincolnshire, where they
are land holders. An ancient place in Yorkshire

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 121 of 149)