Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 136 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 136 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

1807. If his wife survived him, she was probably
the Widow Thorn who died in Sanbornton, Au-
gust 16, 1S12. Quartermaster Thorn's eldest daugh-
ter Mercy married Samuel C. Dudley, of Sanborn-
ton, and lived to be nearly one hundred years old.

(III) Phinehas, eldest son and child of John (2)
Thorn, was born in Kingston in 1762, and moved
with his parents to Sanbornton. He was a noted
teacher in his day, and in his later years was known
as "Schoolmaster Thorn." He had many rnen of
mark in adult life among his pupils, and it is said
that he taught Daniel Webster in his youthful days.
Phinehas Thorn married Miriam Lovejoy, daughter
of Chandler and ^liriam Lovejoy, who was born
July 25. 1767. Their children were : Sarah, Chand-
ler, Harriet, Myra and Calvin, whose sketch follows.
Sarah, born March 22, 1797, married Henry Love-
joy, and died in Tremont, Illinois, in January, 1867.
Chandler, born January 28, 1800, went to Canada,
where he died November 3. 1888. Harriet married
Royal Gibson, a native of Canterbury, New Hamp-
shire, on August 17, 1825, removing with him to
Lind. Waupaca county, Wisconsin. Myra, born May
23. 1807. married Benjamin Pitts, August 31, 1840,
and died in Waterboro, Maine. April 18, 1867.
Some of this family are remarkable for their longe-
vity. Schoolmaster Phinehas Thorn died in San-
bornton. April 29, 1853, aged ninety-one. His wife
died in 1844, aged seventy-seven. The granite
monument in Tilton Highlands cemetery to their
memory was erected by their grandson, John C.
Thorne, of Concord, in 1896.

(IV) Calvin, second son and fifth and youngest
child of Phinehas and Miriam (Lovejoy) Thorn,
was born November 24, 181 1, at Sanbornton, New
Hampshire. His education was gained in the pub-
lic schools and at the academies in Hopkinton and



Franklin, Xew Hampshire. When a young man he
taught several terms of district school in Bow and
Salisbury, also at Millville and Horse Hill, in Con-
cord. In 1834 he began the manufacture of shoes
for Richardson and Company, and in 1835 he
formed a partnership with Joel Frazier for the man-
ufacture and sale of shoes at Concord. This estab-
lishment, which Mr. Thorn conducted independently
after 1844 and which he left to his son, is the oldest
store in Concord remaining in one name, and in
1910 will celebrate three-quarters of a century of
honorable existence, a record which probably can-
not be equalled in the state. Mr. Thorn was a
member of the First Congregational (Old North)
Church in Concord for fifty-one years. He was a
Republican in politics, but had no ambition for
political honors. On August 31, 1836, Calvin Thorn
married Cynthia Morgan, third daughter and child
of Jeremiah and Nabby (Johnson) Morgan, who
was born at Pembroke, New Hampshire. December
9, 1804. (See ]Morgan Genealogy, Second Family,
IV). There were two children: John Calvin,
whose sketch follows, and Charles Henry, born No-
vember 30, 1848. Mrs. Thorn was a member of the
First Congregational Church for fifty-four years,
and a woman of saintly life and character. Calvin
Thorn died of paralysis at his home in Concord,
August 12, 1884, in his seventy-third year. Mrs.
Thorn outlived her husband eight years, dying De-
cember 22, 1892, at the age of eighty-eight years.

(V) John Calvin, elder son and child of Calvin
and Cynthia (Morgan) Thorn, was born November
6, 1842, at Concord, New Hampshire. He was edu-
cated in the public and private schools of his native
town, including the high school, and was graduated
from Kimball Union Academy at Meriden in 1864.
He then entered into the shoe business with his fa-
ther, in which he has been continuously engaged
ever since, with the exception of a short interval
which he passed in business in the city of Chicago
and was a witness of the great fire of 1871. Al-
though Mr. Thorne has had a long and prosperous
business career he has also had wide outside inter-
ests, and has rendered large public service, particu-
larly along religious and historical lines. He is a
Republican in politics, and was a member of the
common council in 1S77 and 1878, serving as pres-
ident during the latter year. He was alderman in
1883-4-5-6. He is a member of the Council of As-
sociated Charities, and vice-president of the Con-
cord Commercial Club. He is one of the oldest
trustees in point of service of the New Hampshire
Savings Bank, serving since 1880, and he was a
member of the Board of Education for five years
from 1883 to 1888. He joined the First Congrega-
tional Church in 1875. and has been its treasurer for
nearly thirty years, beginning in 1879. He was li-
brarian and superintendent of the Sunday school
for several years, and was made deacon of the
church in 1891. * He has been a director of the
Young Men's Christian Association of Concord, is
chairman of the directors of the New Hamp-
shire Bible Society, and was treasurer of
the Ministers' and Widows' Charitable Fund
of Congregational Churches of New Hamp-
shire from 1880 to i8g6, receiving the fund af
$ro,ooo from former treasurer and passing it over
to his successor, amounting to upwards of $45,000.
Mr. Thorne became a member of the New Hamp-
shire Historical Society in 1885, and has been most
active in promoting its interests. He has served for
years on the standing committee, and has had much
to do with arranging the field days and other meet-
mgs. and it was through his eflforts that the valu-

able Sabine Library of four thousand volumes be-
longing to the estate of Lorenzo Sabine, of West
Roxbury, Massachusetts, was secured for the so-
ciety. Mr. Thorne was chairman of the committee
which purchased additional land for the use of the
society, and he secured the gift of five thousand
dollars from the Pearson Fund for the erection of
a new building, also a like sum from Sherman Bou-
ton, of Chicago, eldest son of Rev. Nathaniel Bou-
ton, D. D., the historian of Concord. Mr. Thorne
has compiled the (1907) History and Manual of
the First Congregational Church in connection with
the pastor, which is one of the most complete ever
issued and has published several historical pamph-
lets, including an address delivered at the one hun-
dredth and fiftieth anniversary of the First Congre-
gational Church of Concord, and monographs
(with many illustrations) on Rev. Enoch Coffin, the
first preacher in Penacook, now Concord, and on
Rev. Israel Evans, a chaplain during the entire
period of the Revolution and the second settled
minister of the first Congregational Church at Con-
cord. Mr. Thorne also secured a portrait of Mr.
Evans and a bronze tablet for this church, a work
that involved much labor and research, as the
clergyman left no descendants. The original, from
which the portrait was reproduced, was a miniature
on ivory painted by Kosciusko. Besides these sep-
arate publications Mr. Thorne has written many
foreign letters for the Concord Daily Monitor, and
has contributed important articles, both historical
and descriptive to the Granite Monthly. Mr.
Thorne has been an extensive traveler, visiting New
Orleans in 1889, Florida in 1894, Mexico in 1902,
and making comprehensive European tours in 1891
and 1906. Perhaps the culmination of Mr. Thome's
historical service has come in his connection with
the Society of Colonial Wars in New Hampshire.
He joined this society in 1895, was its secretary for
several years, deputy governor from 1901 to 1903,
and governor from June, 1903, to June, 1906. Dur-
ing his term as governor three important and inter-
esting field days were held. The first one was at
Newcastle, June 17, 1903, and was made the oc-
casion of placing a bronze tablet upon Fort Wil-
liam and Mary in commemoration of the first vic-
tory of the American revolution, December 15,
1774. The second was at Charlestown, and was
held August 30, 1904, the hundred and fiftieth an-
niversary of the Indian Raid when Mrs. Johnson
and her companions were carried into captivity. A
bronze tablet, set in a large boulder, on the main
street of the village, was dedicated at this anni-
versary. In 1906 the society held a field day at
Exeter, where they were entertained at the club
houses of the Colonial Dames and the Society of
the Cincinnati. The society always makes a point
of observing June 17, the anniversary of the cap-
ture of Louisburg, and on one of these occasions
they renewed the tablet on the tomb of Captain
William Vaughan at the Point of Graves, Ports-
mouth, one of the heroes of 1745. Mr. Thorne is a
gentleman of polished and courtly manners, a ready
speaker with a fund of quiet humor, and an agree-
able companion.

On July 8. 1873, John Calvin Thorne married
Mary Gordon Nichols, daughter of Nathaniel Gor-
don and Lucia (Lovejoy) Nichols, of Tremont,
Illinois, and great-granddaughter of Phinehas
Thorne III. (See Nichols Genealogy, Second Fam-
ily. HI). ]Mrs. Thorne was born April 8, 1852, at
Elm Grove. Illinois, and was educated at the State
Normal University at Bloomington. Since her
coming to Concord she has taken a prominent part



in the religious, philanthropic and social life of the
city. She is one of the active workers in the First
Congregational Church, which she joined at the
time of her marriage. Mrs. Thome's outside inter-
ests have in no way interfered with her domestic
duties, and her attractive home at the North End
is the scene of generous hospitality and refined en-

Although Mr. and Mrs. Thorne are without chil-
dren of their own. they are seldom without young
companionship. They brought up Waldo Thorne
Worcester, a relative and a young man of fine
promise, who was born at Chelsea, Massachusetts,
November 2, 1872, the son of Hiram C. and Susan
J. (Pitts) Worcester. He was graduated from the
Concord high school in 1890, and was the first pupil
to receive the first prize for original declamation at
the annual prize speaking. He was subsequently
^fraduated from the Emerson College of Oratory in
Boston, and then engaged in the shoe business at
Concord with Mr. Thorne. On June 29, 1899, he
married Mabel Cooper Snow, of Hyde Park, Massa-
chusetts, and they had two children : Dorothy and
Thorne. Mr. Worcester's untimely death was
caused by a canoe accident at Goff's Falls, near
IManchester, on October 21, 1903, and was a loss
widely felt beyond his immediate family. In 1906
Mr. and Mrs. Thorne invited Elsie A. Chandler,
daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Ferguson)
Chandler, a descendant of one of the old Concord
families to become an inmate of their home. She
was born March 18, 1887, and is now being edu-
cated at Saint Mary's (Episcopal) School at Con-

(Second Family).
The Nichols name is numerous
NICHOLS among the seventeenth century set-
tlers of this country. Most of the
early immigrants settled in Connecticut or the
neighborhood of Boston. This family does not ap-
pear to be related to the one whose history has pre-
viously been traced. (See page 1857 for First

(I) John, son of Samuel and Susanna Nichols,
was born in Washington, New Hampshire, October
II, 1797. In childhood he moved with his widowed
mother to Claremont, where he spent his youth. In
1836 he migrated to Illinois and settled near Tre-
mont, where he bought a farm, removing in 1854
to Logan county and buying a much larger tract of
land. He was a Republican in politics, and united
with the Methodist Church early in life. Mr.
Nichols accumulated a competency and gave liber-
ally to the church and to philanthropic undertak-
ings. Possessing an energetic temperament, a
cheerful disposition, and an inventive mind, he had
-a large circle of friends. On March 14, 1824. John
Nichols married Alary Gordon, daughter of Na-
thaniel and Millicent (Rand) Gordon, who was
born at East Washington, New Hampshire, De-
cember 9. 1801. They had eight children: George
P., Nathaniel Gordon, mentioned below ; Frances
E., married M. D. Tenney, and lives in Chandler,
Oklahoma ; Harriet A., married M. R. Fuller, and
lives in Blue Rapids, Kansas ; Mary Gordon, died
young; Sarah B. married William Jones, and lives
in Delavan, Illinois ; and Edwin F., who lives in
Delavan. John Nichols passed his later years in
quiet home enjoyments, in reading and caring for
his invalid wife to whom he was united for nearly
fifty years. He died suddenly of paralysis on April
25, 1871. at Logan county, Illinois, and his wife died
in October, 1875, ^^ Tremont, Illinois,

(II) Nathaniel Gordon, second son and child of

John and Mary (Gordon) Nichols, was born at
Boston, Massachusetts, September 17, 1826. At the
age of ten he moved with his parents to Tremont,
Illinois, which became his permanent home. He
owns many hundred acres of rich prairie lands, and
is one of the wealthy farmers of the state. Mr.
Nichols attends the Congregational Church, and is
a Democrat in his political affiliations, although he
enjoyed the personal friendship of Lincoln. On
January 29, 1850, Nathaniel Gordon Nichols married
Lucia Jane Lovejoy, of Concord, New Hampshire.
She was the daughter of Henry and Sarah
(Thorne) Lovejoy, and was born May 30, 1828.
Her maternal grandparents were Phinehas and Mir-
iam (Lovejoy) Thorne. (See Thorne Genealogy
III.) They had four children: Mary Gordon, who
is mentioned in the next paragraph ; Charles, Al-
fred Henry, and Emily Prentiss, Charles Nichols
was born February 2, 1854, and married (first),
Georgine Morse, of Tremont, Illinois; and (sec-
ond), iMrs. Annie Wilson, of Green Valley, Illinois.
He died on August 31, 1899, Alfred Henry Nichols
was born July 26, i860, and married Helen Stone
Hay ward, ' of Morton, Illinois. Emily P. Nichols,
born June 29, 1863, married Samuel Addison Cal-
houn, on August 31, 1899, and lives in Oklahoma
City. Mrs. Nathaniel Gordon Nichols died January
2, 1884.

(Ill) Mary Gordon, eldest child of Nathaniel
Gordon and Lucia Jane (Lovejoy) Nichols, was
born in Elm Grove, Illinois, April 8, 1852, On July
8, 1873, she married John Calvin Thorne, of Con-
cord, New Hampshire, (See Thorne Genealogy V).

The following line does not appear

MORGAN to be descended from Miles Morgan,

of Springfield, Massachusetts, who

is considered the earliest American ancestor. (See

page 55)-

(I) Luther Morgan, the founder of this branch,
is said to have come directly from Wales, the an-
cestral home of all the Morgans, He lived in vari-
ous towns in Southern New Hampshire, first at
Kingston, afterward at Kensington, Exeter and
Suncook, all prior to 1750. He married Abigail

, and they had four children: Nathaniel, who

lived at Canaan ; Abigail, who married Samuel
Smith, of Suncook ; Rachel, who married John Fel-
lows of Kensington ; and Jeremiah, whose sketch
follows. Luther Morgan died December 10, 1768,
and his widow died March 30, 1785.

(II) Jeremiah, second son and youngest child of
Luther and Abigail Morgan, was born August 18,
1741. On January 12, 1764, he married Elizabeth,
daughter of Deacon David and Elizabeth (Chand-
ler) Lovejoy, of Pembroke, New Hampshire, who
was born January 10, 1742. They had six children,
all born in Pembroke : Elizabeth, married Joseph
Mann, of Pembroke ; David, married Lois Ladd ;
William, married Betsy Russ, of Bow; Priscilla,
married John Johnson, of Bow; Jeremiah (2). who
is mentioned below ; Sally, married Enoch Holt, of
Allenstown. Jeremiah (2) Morgan died July 21,
1819, and his wife died April 11, 1815.

(III) Jeremiah (2). third son and fifth child of
Jeremiah (i) and Elizabeth (Lovejoy) Morgan,
was born August 12, 1776, in Pembroke, New
Hampshire. On October 8, 1799, he married Abigail
Johnson, who was born January 11. 1770. They
had five children : IMary, married Dr. Moses T.
Willard, of Concord, who was mayor in 1859-60;
Melinda, married Jeremiah Gates, of Bow ; Cynthia,
who is mentioned below ; Nathaniel, married Nancy
Head Cochran; Eleanor Johnson, married John A.



Gault, of Concord. Jeremiah (2) Morgan died
April 12, 1839. His widow survived him twenty-
years, dying March 3, 1859, at the age of eighty-

(IV) Cynthia, third daughter and child of
Jeremiah (2) and Abigail (Johnson) Morgan, was
born December 9, 1804, at Pembroke. New Hamp-
shire, and married Calvin Thorne, of Concord.
(See Thorne, IV.)

The first one in the line now herein
HOPKINS treated, of whom any definite

knowledge is at present accessible,
was Riley Hopkins, who married Jane Welch, and
resided in Washington, Vermont.

John, son of Riley and Jane (Welch) Hopkins,
was born 1854, in Washington, Vermont, and died
March 29, 1903, at Potter Place, in the town of
Andover, New Hampshire. He was a man of con-
siderable enterprise and executive ability, and
erected at Potter Place a very handsome hotel,
which is the pride of his town, and known as the
"Hotel Potter." It is very largely patronized by
summer vacationists, and enables the temporary
sojourner in the town of Andover to secure com-
fortable service at any time throughout the year.
He was married, June 23, 1874, to Jennie Philbrick,
who was born December 9, 1855, daughter of Eben
Hadley and Jane Philbrick. Her father, Eben Had-
ley, died March 21, 1872, and her mother exactly
two years later, March 21, 1874. These were the
parents of three children : Jennie, Charles E. and
Linnie C, the latter now deceased. Charles E.
married Nellie Dunham, and is the father of one
daughter, Jessie. Mrs. Hopkins has been manager
of the Hotel Potter for the past nine years, and is
still conducting that popular hostelry with marked
success. She is a regular attendant of the Baptist
Church, and enjoys the respect of the people of
Andover and vicinity. She is the mother of two
children: Gertrude M., the first, born May 19,
1875, is the wife of George T. Blackwood, and has
one daughter Evelyn, born July 6, 1902. Harley,
the second, born May 5, 1880, married Grace M.
Adams, and has a son John, born June 20, 1907.

Pinkerton Academy
PINKERTON ACADEMY has good claim to

be called the cradle
of Scotch culture in this country. It was the
outgrowth of a classical high school that had
been maintained among the Scotch people of
Londonderry. New Hampshire, by voluntary con-
tribution from as early as 1793. It was to continue
the benefits of this school to the community that
Major John Pinkerton, in 1814, at the suggestion
of his pastor. Rev. E. L. Parker, gave $12,000 to
make it the institution that has since iDorne his
name. His brother, Elder James Pinkerton, after-
wards added $3,000 to the sum. By way of show-
ing their appreciation of the gift of the Pinkertons,
the people of the town contributed the funds for
the building in which until 1887 the school was
housed. The land for the site was given by William
Choate and Peter Paterson.

The intention of the founders was a school
after the Scotch pattern, that should be within the
means ®f the poorest and "promote piety and vir-
tue, and educate Youth in the Sciences, Languages,
and Liberal Arts." It is to be remembered that the
colonists of Londonderry were Scotchmen, though
from the north of Ireland, Londonderry being as
much a bit of Scotland twice removed as the Plym-
outh of Protestant England. Love of learning

is one of the chief characteristics of the Scotch
race ; no people are less troubled with fear of edu-
cating the common above his station. Some time
it will be perceived that the Scotch, more than the
English, sowed the seed with us of faith in general
education, and gave us our particular type of free
schools. The Pinkerton brothers stamped the new
institution with their ideas, but those ideas were
quite as much national as personal, and concurred
in by the folk about them without dissenting

It remained for a third Pinkerton, son of Elder
James Pinkerton, to broaden the scope of the
school to meet modern requirements and so greatly
extend its influence. Dying in 1881, after a life of
good works, John Morrison Pinkerton left a large
estate, the income from which was to accumulate
until a sufficient sum had been derived to meet the
cost of erecting a new and improved school build-
ing, and thereafter be expended for the purchase
of a library and the general support of the school.
To make room for the new building, which was
opened in 1887, the original wooden structure was
removed to a site not far distant, where it still has
its important use. The academy was increased in
size and strength, otherwise the will of John Mor-
rison Pinkerton left it as he found it. "Alumnus
of Yale and lawyer in Boston," he was of one mind
with the "old-time merchants of Londonderry," his
father and uncle, as to the kind of training best
fitted to make useful citizenship. He was careful
to do nothing, as the dominant giver, to divert the
academy from its original purpose, making provis-
ion that, with the larger institution made possible
by his bequest, there should be no departure from
the spirit of piety and zeal for the public welfare,.
in which it had its beginning.

In 1906, bronze tablets, the work of the sculptor,
Daniel Chester French, (and as to the phrasing
and arrangement of the inscriptions) of President
Charles E. Eliot, of Harvard University were
placed in the outer vestibule of the main building
to commemorate the lives and special service of
the three men who gave to Derry (as that part of
Londonderry where the school stands is now
known) one of the leading secondary schools of the

As with many similar schools in the century it
has passed through, the academy's greatest praise
is that it has served so well as a stepping-stone in
the rise of the country boj-. It has been its privi-
lege to help to preferment in life many of the kind
of young people that like to help themselves. Pro-
vision has been made in a very moderate tuition
for such as these, and this liberality has not beerr
without its reward. Only such charges have been
made as have been thought requisite by the trustees
as an evidence of sincere purpose on the part of
the pupil. The rate, eight dollars a year to begin
with, has never exceeded twenty-one dollars, the
present rate. Always far from restricted in use-
fulness to the work of a college-preparatory school,
the academy has, nevertheless, paid yearly tribute
of its best scholars from the first to the institutions
above it. At one time in the middle of the last
century, when graduates of all schools were less
numerous than today, seven graduates of Pinkerton
were enrolled as tutors at Dartmouth. It was re-
marked by Horace Greeley at the celebration in
1869 of the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of
the settlement of Londonderry, that at that time the
descendants of the Scotch colonists in this country-
furnished one-sixth of the teachers for the educa-
tion of the west. Many of these went directly to











d -^






T^ W^^B




, '^'

- '-N^'


i-^^i iSH



k~i —


1 '- -<


- ^.

"■w ' ^ssb


^^^^^^V "^


'-^ -' '

^^ X ■ — s










, -


^^^^^^ .




■ ' i


^K^ o J


^^^^^^^^^^B -fv



- \ i


Cy!?^ i-iJk











, ;^












^^I^^^^^^H i




"•" 'im


^^^^^^H^^P M






^^^^ tTI






I— t
















€'~nj .



the field from the older Pinkerton Academy, but
not a few indirectly by way of the colleges. Re-
ceiving only boys at the first, it soon became co-
educational, but the female department was discon-
tinued in 1821 and not resumed until 1853. Since
that time the girls have formed a good half of
the student body, and have carried off their full
portion of the honors and prizes. In recent years the
more comprehensive curriculum of study demanded
by the requirements of colleges and scientific schools

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 136 of 149)