Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 142 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 142 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

beth Dudley, of Brentwood. His children were:
Nathaniel, Dorothy, Zebedee, Mary, Sarah Dudley,
Samuel, John Dudle}-, Ann, William and Frederick.
(VII) Mary, daughter of Captain William and
Mary (Gordon) Morrill, was born April 25, 1798,
and married, November 26, 1826, John Fifield. (See
Fifield I).

(Preceding Generations on Page 771.)

(IV) Jonathan, second son and third

LUND child of Thomas (3) and Elizabeth

Lund, was married April 2, 1741. in

Dunstable, to Jean Barnum, and evidently spent his

life in his native town. His children were: Olive,

Joanna, Mary, Oliver and Mehitable.

(V) Jonathan (2), elder son and third child of
Jonathan (i) and Jean (Barnum) Lund, was born
July 24, 1747, in Dunstable, and made his home in
that town through life. He was known as Captain
Jonathan, and probably derived his title from serv-
ice in the state militia. He was married October
22, 1765. in D"unstable, to Olive Sargent, and their
children (recorded in Dunstable) were: Nathaniel,_
Joseph, Olive Sargent, Elizabeth and James Tay-

(VI) Joseph, second son and child of Jonathan
(2) and Olive (Sargent) Lund, was born Decem-
ber 24, 1767, in Dunstable, and undoubtedly lived all
his life in that town. There is authority for the
statement that his wife's baptismal name was Bet-
sey, but no record of their marriage appears in the
vital statistics of the state, neither are their chil-
dren on record, but the family record shows that
they had a son, Joseph S.

(VII) Joseph S.. son of Joseph and Betsey
Lund, was born in Nashua, in 1800, and died in
Concord, December 27, 1882, aged eighty-two years
and ten months. He grew to manhood on a farm
and acquired such education as he could in the com-
mon schools of his time. Soon after attaining his
majority he bought a farm in the southeast part of
Concord, where he remained the balance of his-
life. He was a man of rare shrewdness and finan-
cial acumen, and was prosperous in all he under-
took. He added largely to his real estate by the
purchase of woodlands. For a time after going to-
Concord he was engaged in boat building. After
he had accumulated considerable property he had a
large amount of money loaned out, and also had
bank stock and interest in manufacturing concerns.
In politics he was a Democrat, and in religion a
believer in the Universalist creed. He died pos-
sessed of a handsome property, after a residence of
sixty years in Concord. He married (first), Mary
Swett, daughter of Stephen Swett. She died in
1840, _ leaving one child.. Charles Carroll. He was
married (second), in Manchester, November 23,.
1846, by Rev. Cyrus W. Wallace, to Phebe C. Ab-
bott, of Concord. He was married (third), in Man-
chester, April 21, 1877, by Rev. C. W. Wallace, to
Widow Amanda J. Nutting, of Portsmouth, who
survives him. She is the daughter of Moses and
Betsy W. Allen, and was born in Hebron, Maine.

(VIII) Charles Carroll, only child of Joseph S.
Lund and Hilary (Swett) Lund, was born December
0, 1832, and died December 4. 1880. He prepared
for college in Orford and Pembroke Academies,



and in 185 1 entered Dartmouth College, from which
he was graduated with the class of 1855, after hav-
ing completed a classical course. He was a mem-
ber of the Kappa Kappa Kappa society. On re-
turning to Concord he taught a year in the high
sdiool of that city, and also studied law, in the
offices of Hon. L. D. Stevens and Judge Fowler,
and was admitted to the bar in 1856. _ Soon after
his admission he opened a law office in St. Paul,
Minnesota, where he practiced eight years, having
for partners John B. Sanborn and Theodore French,
l)0th New Hampshire men. The style of the firm
was Sanborn, French & Lund. In 1864 he returned
to Concord, and became the law partner of Hon.
Lvman D. Stevens, his former preceptor, the firm
being Stevens & Lund. This relation lasted until
1870. Notwithstanding Mr. Lund had entered the
profession of law, wdiich he did not like, at the in-
stance of his father, he was very successful in it,
patent office cases being favorite with him, as he
was fond of mathematics and mechanical employ-
ment and things pertaining to machinery.

Before going to college he had studied civil en-
gineering, in which he was deeply interested and
highly proficient, and spent part of a season in
actual work with Mr. Adams, the chief engineer of
the Concord & Montreal railroad, which he greatly
enjoyed. In 1870 he accepted the invitation of a
friend, a civil engineer, to spend his vacation in the
summer of that year with him in survejdng the pro-
posed railroad between Concord and Rochester.
This employment afforded him so much satisfaction
that he determined to abandon the practice of law,
and he accordingly closed his office and went to the
Pacific coast, where with a corps of forty men he
surveyed a line for a railroad between Portland,
Oregon and Pu^et Sound, which was afterward ac-
cepted and built upon in preference to several other
lines which were subsequently surveyed by others.
When this survey was completed he returned to
Concord and was assistant engineer in chief of the
construction of the Concord water works systern.
He also constructed the water works system in
Leominster, Massachusetts. Later he was made
chief engineer of the Concord & Montreal railroad,
and as such had eharge of the construction of vari-
ous extensions of that road in the White Mountain
region and above, including the Wing road to the
base of Mt. Washington, the road to the Profile
House, and the road to Lancaster, the successful
and economical construction of which required en-
gineering skill of a high order and the completion
of which placed Mr. Lund in the front rank of
engineers and brought him much deserved credit.
Mr. Lund died at that comparatively early age of
forty-eight years. Had he devoted himself to this
profession earlier in life, or had his life been
spared a few years longer, he would doubtless have
attained great celebrity as an engineer. He was a
member of the Masonic fraternity and the Knights
of Pythias. He married, in Concord, June 17, i860,
Lydia French, who was born in Concord, March
26, 1838, daughter of Theodore and Lydia (Pol-
lard) French, of Dunstable, Massachusetts. She
вЦ†was prepared for a higher course in private schools,
and graduated from Mt. Holyoke Seminary in 1857.
Three children were born to this union : Mary
{died young). Fred B. and Joseph W.

(IX) Fred B., son of Charles C. and Lydia
{French) Lund, was born in Concord, January 4,
1865, was prepared for college at Phillips Andover
Academy, and entered Harvard University in 1884,
and graduated swnima cum laude in 1888. He is a

member of the Phi Beta Kappa society. Following
his graduation from the literary department of Har-
vard, he matriculated in the Harvard Medical
School, where he completed the four years' course
in three years, and became an interne in the Massa-
chusetts General Hospital, and remained there three
years. In 1893 he entered the general practice of
medicine with offices in Boston, and immediately
took high rank as a physician and surgeon. He
now has a large and lucrative practice. He is a sur-
geon on the staff of the City Hospital of Boston.

(IX) Joseph Wheelock, youngest child of Charles
C. and Lydia (French) Lund, was born in Concord,
March 14, 1867, .and attended the common and high
schools of Concord, and subsequently graduated
from Phillips Andover Academy in 1S86, Harvard
University in 1890, and Harvard Law School in
1893. Since the latter date he has been engaged in
a successful law practice in Boston.

(For Ancestry see page loii.)

Nathan Hesselton was probably
HESSELTON the son of Nathan (or- Nathan-
iel), whose name appears in the
early records of Wilton, New Hampshire. He mar-
ried Phebe , and the names of seven children

are given : Phebe, John, Nathan, Samuel, Louis,
Betty and Sarah. Nathaniel and Nathan Hesselton's
names were signed to the resolve "to defend by
arms," etc. Nathan Hesselton served four months
in the Revolution by his son David (three years
service). David Hesselton, son of Nathan, served
in the war of the Revolution.

Nathan (i) Hesselton 'removed to Weston, Ver-
mont, later to Andover, New Hampshire. He mar-
ried Prudence, daughter of Timothy Baldwin, of
Wilton. After the death of her husband she re-
turned to Wilton. Their children were : Abel,
Daniel, Joel. Nathaniel and Hannah. Daniel, son
of Nathan and Prudence (Baldwin) Hesselton, was
born November 11, 1807, and died June 24, 1877.
He married Harriet Chandler. They lived in Ver-
mont. Their three sons all served in the Civil war.
Helen M. Hesselton, daughter of Abner, married
Frederick G. Ellison. (See Ellison, III).

(For Ancestry, See Pages 914-15.)

(VI) Deacon Hezekiah, son of
HUBBARD Nathan and Mary (Patterson) Hub-
bard, was born in Groton, Massa-
chusetts, January 19, 1755. He came to Rindge, New
Hampshire, about the year 1783, and settling on what
has since been known as Hubbard's Hill he became
a prosperous farmer, an eminently useful citizen and
an active member of the Congregational Church,
of which he was a deacon for many years. His
death, which was sudden, occurred April 22, 1822.
He married Rebecca Hutchinson, who was born at
Billerica, Massachusetts, in 1762, and she died in
Rindge, April 13, 1849. They were the parents of
thirteen children, namely: Benjamin, Levi, Rebecca,
Sally, Polly, Rodney, Harry, Hezekiah, Mersylvia,
Eliphalet, Otis, John Hutchinson and Addison, all of
whom were born in Rindge.

(VII) Harry, fourth son and seventh child of
Deacon Hezekiah and Rebecca (Hutchinson) Hub-
bard, was born in Rindge, July 8, 1795. He began
life as a farmer, but learned the shoemaker's trade
and for a time resided in Burlington, Vermont.
From Burlington he went to Shrewsbury, Massa-
chusetts, and died in that town. His first wife,
whom he married June 8, 1823, was Clarissa Fay,
and on December 6, 1832, he married for his second



wife Dorcas Whitney, daughter of Dr. Isaac Whit-
ney. His first wife bore him two sons, Henry B.,
born August 28, 1825, became an extensive boot
manufacturer in Worcester, INIassachusetts. Ap-
pleton B., who is referred to at length in the suc-
ceeding paragraph.

(VHl) Appleton Burnham, youngest son of
Harry and Clarissa (Fay) Hubbard, was born in
Hopkinton, I^Iassachusetts, May 29, 1829. He en-
gaged in agricultural pursuits. in Troy, New Hamp-
shire, and was permitted to enjoy that independent
life but a short period, as he died September 29,
1862, at the age of thirty-three years. On September
19, 1854, he married Betsey L. Clark, daughter of
Howard and Dolly (Bemis) Clark. Of this union
there are two sons, Charles A., who will be again
referred to; and Harry, who is now a successful
lawyer in New York City.

(IX) Charles Appleton, eldest son of Appelton
B. and Betsey L. (Clark) Hubbard, was born in
Troy, New Hampshire, June 7, 1857. He was
graduated from the New Hampshire State College
of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in 1877, and
for the succeeding two years was employed as a
clerk in the general store of E. P. Kimball & Sons,
Troy. Removing to Boston in 1882 he was for a
short time engaged in the electrical business, but
destiny seems to have led him into other fields of
usefulness, wherein his business ability has found
more scope for development. Securing an advan-
tageous position in the comptroller's office of the
Union Pacific Railway Company in Boston, he
worked up through the various ranks for several
years, or until 1897, when he was appointed comp-
troller of the Oregon Short Line Railroad Company
with headquarters in Boston. This company operates
over fourteen hundred miles of railroad located in
Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Oregon, and Mr. Hub-
bard performed the duties of his responsible posi-
tion with marked ability for two years. When the
United Fruit Company was organized in 1899 Mr.
Hubbard was chosen treasurer, and relinquishing
the railway service he began the financial manage-
ment of the new enterprise with a spirit of energy
which has ever since continued unabated, and the
expansion of the fruit company's interests and its
present high standard in financial circles is in no
small measure due to his ability and sound judg-
ment. The United Fruit Company is the largest
importer of fruit products in the United States, and
the largest banana importing concern in the world,
having handled during the past year thirty-five mil-
lion bunches of this fruit. The company owns
directly one of the largest sugar plantations in Cuba,
which produced during its fiscal year ending Sep-
tember 30, 1907, forty-five thousand tons of raw
sugar. It also has acquired practically all of the
common stock of the Nipe Bay Co., giving the com-
pany control of a plantation of about one hundred
and thirty thousand acres of land, of which some
twenty thousand acres has been planted in sugar,
and a mill erected and a railroad and other facilities
constructed for producing large quantities of sugar.
This new property produced over sixteen thousand
tons of sugar in 1907. The company operates a line
of steamships, some of which are named in honor of
distinguished admirals of the United States navy,
and it employs a force of twenty-seven thousand
men. Mr. Hubbard resides in Newton and affiliates
with the Masonic order of that city, being a mem-
ber of the Blue lodge, the Royal Arch Chapter,
Gethsemane Commandery, Knights Templar, and the
Scottish Rite bodies of Boston up to thirtj^-second
degree. On October 15, 1884, he was united in mar-

riage with Mary Anna Stearns, daughter of Julius
Augustus and Mary Anna (Wood) Stearns, of
Rindge. Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard have two children^
Harry Appleton and Marion.

(For Ancestry, see page 1031.)

(II) Nathaniel Thayer, seventh son

THAYER of Richard Thayer, was born in 1658.

He settled in Boston. In 1676 he

married Deborah Townsend. His children were :

Nathaniel, Zachariah, Cornelius, John, died young;

John, Ebenezer and Deborah.

(III) Cornelius, third son and child of Nathaniel
and Deborah (Townsend) Thayer, was born in
Boston, November 14, 1684. He married Lydia
Turell, of Medford, Massachusetts in 1706, and
resided in Boston. He was the father of six chil-
dren, namely: Lydia, Nathaniel, Samuel, Deborah,
Cornelius and Turell.

(IV) Nathaniel, second child and eldest son of
Cornelius and Lydia (Turell) Thayer, was born in
Boston, July 17, 1710. He married Ruth Eliot,
a sister of Rev. Dr. Andrew Eliot, of Boston. She
became the mother of several children : Ebenezer,
Catherine, Ruth, Lydia and Deborah.

(V) Rev. Ebenezer, eldest child of Nathaniel
and Ruth (Eliot) Thayer, was born in Boston or
Braintree, July 16, 1734. He graduated from Har-
vard College in 1753, prepared for the ministry, and
was ordained September 16, 1766. For twenty-six
years he was pastor of the church in Hampton,
New Hampshire, and his death occurred September
6, 1792. He married, October 2, 1766, Martha Cotton,
daughter of Rev. John and Mary (Gibbs) Cotton,
and a descendant in the fourth generation of the Rev.
John Cotton, who became the first minister of the
First Church in Boston in 1633. His children were :
Ebenezer, born July 16, 1767; Rev. Dr. Nathaniel,
born July 11, 1769; iMartha, born in April, 1771;
John, born in July, 1773," Catherine, born September
I, 1775; and the late Rev. Andrew Eliot Thayer, of

(VI) Rev. Andrew Eliot Thayer, youngest child
of Rev. Ebenezer and Martha (Cotton) Thayer,
was born in Hampton, November 4, 1783. In addi-
tion to the ancestors already mentioned he was a
descendant of Sir Richard Saltonstall, one of the
founders of Massachusetts and an assistant under
Governor Winthrop; Nathaniel Ward, an early
settler in Ipswich ; and of Edward Rossiter, who was
also an assistant to Governor Winthrop. Mr. Thayer
was fitted for college in Exeter, New Hampshire,
and was graduated from Harvard College with the
class of 1803. He then studied theology and was
ordained to the ministry in 1806, but owing to im-
paired health was obliged to postpone, for a time,
active participation in pastoral work and seek a
more temperate climate. Upon his recoveri^ in
1820, he came to Nashua, opened a book store and
circulating library on the site of which is now the
entrance of Thayer's Court. He supplied the pulpit
of the Old South Church until 1824, also taught
school and he assisted in establishing The Nashua
Constellation, of which he was editor and one of
the publishers. The name of that paper was subse-
quently changed to The Nashita Gazette, and in
1832 Mr. Thayer sold out to General Hunt, who.
clTanged it from a Whig to a Democratic organ.
During Mr. Thayer's editorship of the Gazette it
was published in a room in the rear of his book-
store, and the NasJiua Telegraph began its exist-
ence in the same apartment. In November, 1838.
his bookstore was destroyed by fire, and he resumed
business in a building which stood upon the site of



the present Whiting Block. Through his instru-
mentality Mr. Beard was induced to establish and
edit The Nashua Weekly Telegraph, and in rela-
tion to this fact Editor Beard stated after Mr.
Thayer's death that "a debt of gratitude, as well as
a pecuniary debt, has been due him, and although
we have been compelled to be a poor paymaster in
regard to the latter we have never disowned the
former." Mr. Thayer's interest in the general wel-
fare of the town led him to accept various positions
of trust, and he fulfilled his public duties with ability
and faithfulness. His character was of a type well
calculated to inspire confidence and admiration, and
his death, which occurred January 31, 1846, was the
cause of sincere regret.

]\Ir. Thayer married Lucy Flagg, daughter of
John and Lucy (Curtis) Flagg, and she survived
him. Her public-spirited generosity equalled that
of her husband, and she Was noted for her charity
and benevolence. During the Civil war she aided
much in relieving the wants of the soldiers, and
otherwise providing for their comfort. She died at
her home in Thayer's Court, June 24, 1874. Andrew

E. and Lucy (Flagg) Thayer were the parents of
several children, of whom are now living: Lucy

F. and Katharine M. Thayer.

(For Ancestry See Pages 869-71.)

(V) John, third son 'of Tristram
BARNARD (2) and Dorothy Currier Barnard,
was born February 29, 1747, in
Amesbury, and died in that town in 1794. His will
was executed on the 19th of September of that year,
and proved on the 27th of the following month. He
had purchased a farm in Weare, New Hampshire,
but died before his removal thither. His farm . in
Amesbury was sold to Daniel Barnard. The inten-
tion of his marriage to Dorothy Challis was pub-
lished, and it is presumed that she became his wife.
His children were : Moses, John and Eliphalet.

(VI) Moses, eldest son of Tristram and Doro-
thy (Challis) Barnard, was born in 1781 in Ames-
bury. He removed to Acworth in 1800, and in
1802 settled on a farm, where he resided with his
wife sixty-two years. He married Polly Gove, who
was born March 13, 1785, in Weare, daughter of
Elijah and Sarah (Mills) Gove. Elijah Gove was
born May 20, 1752, in Hampton, New Hampshire,
and died in W^eare. He was one of the signers of
the association test in that town, and served two
enlistments in the Revolutionary army. His first
service was one month in a New York regiment,
and he was later a private in Captain Samuel Phil-
brick's company. Colonel Moore's regiment, which
marched from Weare to Charlestown, New Hamp-
shire, on the Alarm in July, 1777. He was a son of
Jonathan Gove, who was born in 1695, and mar-
ried (first), Mary Lancaster; and (second) Han-
nah Worthen. He was a son of John Gove. (See
Gove, HI). The children of ]\Ioses Barnard were:
Sarah, Dorothy, Mary, John (died young), Mel-
vina, Squier Page. Emily M., Lucina. John M.,
George, William C, and an infant daughter deceased.
(VH) Dorothy, second daughter of Moses and
Polly (Gove) Barnard, was born in 1803, in Weare.
and was married (first), to Sylvanus Miller, and
(second), became the first wife of Reuben Shep-
ardson. (See Shepardson, VHI).

(For Ancestry See Pages 837-8.)

(VHI) Jeremiah, eighth child and

FOLSOM third son of Deacon John (2) and

Abigail (Perkins) Folsom. was born

probably in 1685, and died in 1757. He settled about

1712 on a farm of one hundred acres which he in-
herited from his father, just south of Newmarket
Village, where in 1719 he built a brick house which
was standing in 1874. He was a good farmer and
an enterprising business man and left much land to
his children at his death. He married, probably in
1705, Elizabeth, whose surname is unknown. Their
children were : Nathan, Jeremiah, Elizabeth, Susan,
Abigail, Sarah, Ann and John.

(IX) Colonel Jeremiah (2), second son and
child of Jeremiah (i) and Elizabeth Folsom, was
born in Newmarket, July 25, 1719. and died in 1S02,
aged eighty-three years. In 1767 he was an inn-
holder in Newmarket. He held very strong views
on religion, was punctual in attendance at church,
and a devoted follower of the Evangelist Whitcfield.
He married, March 28, 1742, Mary Hersey, and they
had ten children: Jeremiah, John, Peter, Simeon,
Josiah, Levi, Enoch, Jacob, Mary and Samuel.

(X) Levi, sixth son and child of Colonel 'Jere-
miah and Mary (Hersey) Folsom, was born m
Newmarket, July 12, 1753, and died June 21, 1844,
aged nearly ninety-one years. He removed in 1779
to the new settlement in Tamworth. He married, in
Newmarket, December 4, I777, Joanna Weeks, of
Greenland. She was born December 31. 1755, and
was the orphan daughter of Dr. John and Martha
(Wingate) Weeks, of Hampton, and was brought
up and educated by her brothers and sisters. She
died in Tamworth, July 17, 1826, aged seventy-one
years. Both were born in affluent circumstances,
but received scarcely anything from the estates of
their parents, and found it hard in a new settle-
ment to provide for their nine children. She was
better qualified to instruct them in the knowledge
of books than to provide for their material wants,
and left them the influence of an intelligent chris-
tian mother. She was much loved and highly re-
spected by those who knew her best. The children
of Levi and Joanna were: Ward Weeks, Jeremiah,
Elizabeth, John Weeks, Levi, Joanna, Mary, Mar-
tha Wingate and George Frost.

(XI) Colonel Levi (2), fifth child and fourth
son of Levi (i) and Joanna (Weeks) Folsom, was
born in Sandwich, April 11, 1788, and died Decem-
ber 9, 184T. He was a farmer and a lumberman,
and erected mills on the Bearcamp river. In both
civil and military life he was a leading citizen, and
held various offices. He married Lydia, a daughter
of Thorn Dodge, of Wenham. Massachusetts, (see
Dodge, VIII). She died of fever. May 7, 1824, at
the age of thirty, leaving six small children : Eliza-
beth, Joanna Weeks, John Thorn Dodge, Martha,
Levi Woodbury and Lydia D.

(XII) John Thorn Dodge, third child and eldest
son of Colonel Levi (2) and Lydia (Dodge) Fol-
som, was born in Tamworth, April 6, 1818. He
married, April T4, 1842, in Wenham, Massachusetts,
Asenath Whipple, and settled in South Tamworth,
where for many years he was postmaster. Asenath
Whipple was born February 27? 1822, in New Bos-
ton, New Hampshire, only daughter of Dr. Robert
Whipple, and is still living. She has living four
daughters, ten grandchildren and eight great-grand-
children. She had six children: Lydia D.. Judith
M. (died young), Judith Madeline, Elizabeth Ann,
Helen Asenath and Joanna Weeks.

(XIII) Helen Asenath, fifth daughter and child
of John T. D. and Asenath (Whipple) Folsom,
was born in Tamworth, August 15, 1854, and mar-
ried September 14, 1876, Charles H. Smart, of Ossi-
pee Center, (see Smart second famil}-. III), and



has : Annie May, Charles Ellis and Harry Preston.

(For Ancestry See Page 832.)

(II) Edward, third son of James
ORDWAY and Anne (Emery) Ordway, was
born September 17, 1653, in New-
bury, and resided there, where he was married De-
cember 12, 1678, to Mary Wood.

(III) Edward (2), son of Edward (i) and
Mary (Wood) Ordway, was born about 1695, and
passed his life in Newbury. He was married there
August I, 1728, to Katherine Hill.

(IV) Edward (3), son of Edward (2) and
Katherine (Hill) Ordway, was born July 15, 1742,
and died in 1834. He was a Revolutionary soldier,
joining the ill-fated expedition against Canada un-

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 142 of 149)