Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 34 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 34 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Captain Moses Leavitt's company. Colonel Abra-
ham Drake's regiment, which constituted part of
the force sent to reinforce the Northern Continen-
tal Army at Stillwater, September, 1777. He was
discharged December 15, 1777, after serving three
months and eight days. He enlisted a second time,
July 10, 1781, being one of the force sent to West
Point, and was discharged December 22, after five
months and three days' service. He resided on the
farm where his father and grandfather lived before
him. He and his wife were admitted to the church
July 18, 1756. He married, January i, 1756, Mary
Lane, born December 6, 1734, daughter of Samuel
Lane. She died May 24, 1718, in her eighty-fifth
year. The eleven children of this marriage were :
Ebenezer, Mary, Samuel, James, Betsey, Jesse, Abi-
gail, Josiah, Sally, Susannah and Levi.

(IX) Betsey, fifth child and second daughter of
Captain James (6) and Mary (Lane) Prescott, was
born in Hampton Falls, June 11, 1765, and died
May 24, 1838, aged seventy-five years. She married,
August 6, 1787, Jeremiah Brown, of Loudon. See
Brown, IV.)

(VI) Jonathan, third son and fourth child of
James (4) and Mary (Boulter) Prescott, of Hamp-
ton, New Hampshire, was born August 8, 1675,
probably in that part of the town now known as
Hampton Falls. He saw some military service in the
Colonial wars. In 1696 he labored for ten days at
Fort William and Mary at Newcastle. New Hamp-
shire, and in 1710 was one of a scouting party under
Captain John Gilman. He settled in that part of
Hampton which in 1737 became Kensington, and was
one of the petitioners for the new town. Here he
was admitted to the church March 5, 1749, in his
seventy-fourth years. Jonathan Prescott married

Elizabeth , but her last name and the date of

her marriage are unknown. She was admitted to
the church, August 29, 1708. They had six children :
Captain Jonathan, who took part in the capture of
Louisburg; Jeremiah; Benjamin, who is mentioned
in the next paragraph; Abigail, who married Na-

thaniel Locke ; Joseph, who served under his elder
brother at Lockhard ; and Mary, who married Ben-
jamin Hilliard, of Hampton. Jonathan Prescott
died at Kensington, New Hampshire, January 6,
1755, in his eightieth year.

(VII) Benjamin, third son and child of Jona-
than and Elizabeth Prescott, was born November 2,
1700, probably at Hampton Falls, New Hampshire.
He was admitted to the church there March 18,
1733. On October 16, 1728, he married Mehitabel
Dalton, daughter of Philemon and Abigail (Gove)
Dalton, who was born September 25, 1713. They
had seven children : Philemon, whose* sketch fol-
lows; Abigail, who married Green Longfellow; Ben-
jamin, married Abigail Currier; Sarah, married.
David Bachelder and lived in Saco, Maine; Eliza-
beth ; John, married Esther Rollins, of Epping, New
Hampshire ; and Mehitable. John Prescott, the
youngest son, died in the service of his country. He
lived at Raymond, New Hampshire, and when the
Revolution broke out he left his young wife and in-
fant son, six months old, and hastened to Bunker
Hill, where he was killed.

(VIII) Philemon, eldest child of Benjamin and
Mehitable (Dalton) Prescott, was born January 13,
1729. He was admitted to the church March 2,
1760. About 1751-52 he married Elizabeth Taylor,
who was born in 1732. They had eleven children :
Bradstreet ; Susannah, married Major Joseph Pres-
cott, of Sanbornton, New Hampshire ; Elizabeth, mar-
ried (first) Clough, and (second)

French ; Martha, married Eliphalet Merrill, of Deer-
field, New Hampshire; Eunice; Rachel; Mary, rnar-
ried Ezekiel Morse, of Pembroke, New Hampshire;
Abigail, married Moody Emery, of West Newbury,
Massachusetts ; Hannah, married Stephen Prescott,
brother of her sister Susan's husband, and lived in
Sanbornton, New Hampshire; Mark, whose sketch
follows ; and Nancy, married Jacob Thompson. Both
Philemon Prescott and his wife died in early middle
life. He died June t2, 1774, aged forty-five and one-
half years; she died August 15, 1772, at the age of

(IX) Mark, second son and tenth child of Phil-
emon and Elizabeth (Taylor) Prescott, was born
May 30, 1771. He was a farmer in Kingston, New
Hampshire. On August 23, 1795, he married Polly
Bean, daughter of Richard Bean, of Brentwood, New
Hampshire, who was born October 27, 1776. They
had six children: Richard Bean, married Mary S.
Pervers ; Dr. Benjamin Taylor, who became a den-
tist in Boston ; Mark Hollis, married Priscilla Bart-
lett, of Kingston, and moved to Ottawa, Illinois ;
Lewis Franklin, married Elizabeth S. Webber; Har-
riet Maria, married Samuel Huse Swett, and George
Washington, whose sketch follows. Mark Prescott
died at Kingston, January 19, 1817, at the early age of
forty-six, in consequence of being thrown from a
horse the previous evening. His widow survived
him some thirty years, dying at Kingston, November
12, 1S48, aged seventy-two.

(X) George Washington, youngest of the six
children of Mark and Polly (Bean) Prescott, was
born at Greenland, New Hampshire, . March 22,
1813. He was educated in the common schools at
Kingston and at South Hampton Academy. For
several years he was a successful teacher at Kings-
ton and Brentwood, New Hampshire, and at West
Newbury, Massachusetts. He was town clerk at
Newton, New Hampshire, and superintendent of
schools for a considerable period. He was an active
worker in the Methodist Church, and used to select
verses of scripture and write interesting sermons
and articles for Zion's Herald, the denominational

* <t^




paper. For several years he was superintendent of
the Methodist Sunday school in the town of Kings-
ton. George Washington Prcscott married Mary
Griffin Johnson, of North Monmouth, Maine, daugh-
ter of Thomas Johnson. She still survives (1907),
and lives in Haverhill, Massachusetts, with her
youngest daughter. Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Prcscott
had four children: George W. (2) ; Lewis Franklin,
whose sketch follows; Alary Anvellah, born Novem-
ber 12, 1858, married John L. Webster ; and Ida
Frances, born April 19, 1861, who lives in Haver-
hill, Massachusetts. George Washington (2) Prcs-
cott was born September 27, 1852. He was gradu-
ated with honors from the medical department of
Dartmouth College, receiving the prize for anatomy,
he was a very studious man. He died in 1875, J^st
at the dawn of a promisinng career. His father,
George W. Prescott (i) died January 19, 1883.

(XI) Lewis Franklin, second son and child of
George Washington (i) and Mary Griffin (Johnson)
Prescott, was born September 16, 1855, at Newton,
New Hampshire. He was educated in the common
schools of Kingston and at the old academy there.
He served an apprenticeship of three years as a
carriage painter at Kingston, New Hampshire, and
later he owned a carriage manufacturing and repair
shop in that town. In 1892 he became superintendent
of the Kimball carriage factory at Manchester, New
Hampshire, which position he still retains. July
4, 1878, Lewis Franklin Prescott married at Newton,
New Hampshire, Bessie A. jNIarden, who was born
at Kingston, New Hampshire, September 10, 1859.
She was one of the three daughter of Ebenezer K.
and Margaret (Hoitt) Marden, of Candia, New
Hampshire. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis F. Prescott have
three children : Mabel Lillian, George F. and Flor-
ence Myrtle. Mabel L., was born September 16,
1879, married Henry Milbourne and has one daugh-
ter, Doris M., born July i, 1902. George F., was born
August 21, 1883, and married, April 18, 1906, Ethel
Louise Colby; they live at Manchester; have one
one son, Sherwood F., born March 3, 1907. Flor-
ence M., was born February 2"/, 1891, and lives at

(VIII) William, youngest of the five sons of
Samuel and Mary (Sanborn) Prescott, was born
June 21, 1728, at Hampton Falls. He married, on
November 22, 1750, his cousin, Susanna, daughter
of Joseph and Susanna (James) Sanborn, descended
from one of the first settlers of Hampton. She
was born April 18, 1728, and died March 28, 1800.
They had nine children. Elizabeth, married Daniel
Davidson, who was in the battle of Bunker Hill ;
they moved to Vermont. Elisha, married (first),
Mehitabel Swain, and (second), Hannah Belknap;
he served throughout the Revolution, and moved
to Vershire, Vermont, where he died. Susanna,
married Lowell Land, and lived at Sanborntqn,
New Hampshire. Mary, married (first) William
Thompson, and (second), Jeremiah French; they
/lived in Sanbornton. Samuel, mentioned below.
William, married (first), Deborah Welch, of East
Kingston, New Hampshire; (second), Sarah, widow
of John Forest, of Northfield, New Hampshire;
(third) Jane, widow of Dr. George Kazar, of North-
field. William Prescott was a celebrated plough-
maker, making the ploughs wholly of wood, as was
the custom of that time. He and his first wife,
Deborah, were the parents of Dr. William Prescott,
the naturalist and antiquarian, and the author of
the Prescott Genealogy. Lucy, married Jonathan
Chase, of Stratham, New Hampshire, and died at
Alexandria, New Hampshire, at the home of her
son, Levi. Joseph, married Rachel Cass, of Sanborn-

ton, where he died in his cighty-si.xth year. Levi,
married Sarah Cass, of Sanbornton, where he died
in his seventy-third year.

William Prescott lived first at Hampton Falls
where all his nine children were born. He built
the spacious two-story house, which in 1870 was
occupied by John Prescott Sanborn. In 1780 Alajor
Prescott sold this place and moved to Sanbornton,
New Hampshire, then a new and remote section
of the state. Several of his children married and
died there. Major Prescott and his wife were ad-
mitted to the church at Hampton Falls, April 12,
1752, soon after their marriage. He took an active
part in .the Revolutionary struggle. In 1778 Captain
Prescott, as he was then, commanded a company
raised from the regiment of militia under Colonel
Jonathan Moulton. They were ordered to proceed
to New York to join the American army there. The
company was placed in the regiment commanded by
Colonel Tash, and when cold weather came on they
went into winter quarters at Peekskill. He sub-
sequently was raised to the rank of major. He died at
Sanbornton, New Hampshire, September 28, 181 1,
in his eighty-fourth year.

(IX) Samuel, second son and sixth child of
Major William and Susanna (Sanborn) Prescott,
was born at Hampton Falls, February 18, 1760. He
married, in October, 1784, Mehitabel, daughter of
David and Betsy (Bickford) Bean, who was born
July 9, 1762. He lived in Sanbornton as a farmer
and died there October 25, 1826, in his sixty-seventh
year. His widow survived him nearly twenty years,
and was burned to death in her own house, Jan-
uary 20, 1844, in her eighty-second year. They were
the parents of seven children : David Bean, killed
in his twenty-third year, April 8, 180S, by accidentally
falling under the water-wheel of a saw-mill. Jona-
than Bean, mentioned below. Mehitabel, married
Eliphalet Lloyd, Jr. Rhoda, married William Scott
Hannaford, and lived at Sanbornton Bridge, now
Tilton, New Hampshire. Samuel, married Nancy S.
Hannaford, and lived at Peterboro, New Hampshire.
Betsey, died on her twelfth birthday, November 13,
1814. Eliza Bean, married Ezra Lawrence Merriam,
of Ashburnham, Massachusetts.

(X) Jonathan Bean, second son and child of
Samuel and Mehitabel (Bean) Prescott, was born
August 31, 1788. He married Phebe, daughter of
Bradbury Morrison, v/ho was born in Sanbornton,
July 27, 1793, and died December 24, 1853. He was
a carpenter and farmer and lived at Sanbornton,
Upper Gilmanton, and Franklin, New Hampshire,
where he died October 6, 1842. They had eight
children : Emeline P. ; Sabrina, married Lorenzo D.
Colby, and lived at Franklin; Anna; Phebe, married
Theophilus Stevens ; Polly G., married John L.
Colby ; David Sanborn, mentioned below ; Nathan
INIorrison, married liis cousin, Rosetta Morrill
Haley, and went to St. Anthony, Minnesota ; and
Bradbury !\Iorrison, who married Annette S. Bach-
elder and lived at Franklin.

(XI) David Sanborn, eldest son and fifth child
of Jonathan and Phebe (Morrison) Prescott, was
born at Franklin, New Hampshire, April 26. 1822.
He studied medicine with Dr. D. W. Knight, of
Franklin and graduated from the Dartmouth Medi-
cal College in 1849. He began the practice of his
profession at Temple, New Hampshire, the first
of January, 1850. He came to Laconia, New Hamp-
shire, upon the death of Dr. Joseph Knowles, whose
widow he married October 5, 1853. Her maiden name
was Olive Jane Ladd. She was the daughter of
Jonathan and Betsey (Lawrence) Ladd, and was
born at Laconia, June 7, 1824. Her father was a



merchant in Laconia. Dr. David S. Prescott was a
Democrat, and a member of the Congregational
Church. He was a successful and respected physi-
cian. He died at Laconia, February 25, 1874, leaving
no children. Mrs. Prescott, who is still living at the
age of eighty-two, is a member of the Congregational
Church. She had a brother, Lucian Augustus Ladd,
born at Laconia, August 18, 1821. He married Mary
Jane Smith, who was born at Gilmanton, New
Hampshire, October 25, 1825. They have four liv-
ing children: Charles Smith Ladd lives at Oronogo,
Missouri; he married Lilia A. Good, and has six
children. Ann Frances Ladd, married Abbott Law-
rence, a lawyer of Chelsea, Massachusetts. Freder-
ick Young Ladd, married Phebe Murray, has
children, and lives at Beechwood, Massachusetts.
Clara Jane Ladd, the youngest, lives at home.

(H) Roger, second son and child of James Pres-
cott, resided in Shevington, in the parish of Stand-
ish. His will was dated September 26, 1594, and he
was buried in the church at Standish. He married
(first), 1563, Elizabeth, whose surname is unknown.
She soon died and he married (second), August 20,
1568, Ellen (?) Shaw, of Standish. The issue of
the first marriage were: Helen and Lawrence; and
of the second: Anne, and Ralph, the subject of the
next paragraph.

(HI) Ralph,- only son of Roger and Ellen
(Shaw) Prescott, was baptized 1571-2. He resided
at^ Shevington, in the parish of Standish, and was
co-executor of his father's will. His own will,
dated November 7, 1608, was proved January 24,
1609. He married Ellen, who was co-executor of
her husband's will. The children of Ralph and Ellen
were : Helen, Roger, Alice, Cecilia and John, whose
sketch follows.

(IV) John, youngest child of Ralph and Ellen
Prescott, was baptized at Standish, 1604-5, and died
in Lancaster, in 1683. The "Prescott Memorial"
says : "He sold his lands in Shevington, parish of
Standish, in Lancashire, to Richard Prescott, of
Wigan, and removed to Yorkshire, residing for a
time at Sowerby, in the parish of Halifax, where
several of his children were born. From conscien-
tious motives, and to avoid persecution he left his
native land, his cherished home in Yorkshire, to seek
an asylum in the wilderness of America. He first
landed at Barbadoes, in 1638, and became an owner
of lands. In 1640 he came to New England, landed
at Boston, and immediately settled in Watertown,
where he had large grants of lands allotted to him,
but in 1643, he associated himself with Thomas King
and others for the purpose of purchasing of Sholan,
the Indian sachem of the Nashaway tribe of Indians,
a tract of land for a township, which tract was to be
ten miles in length and eight in breadth. The pur-
chasers entered into an agreement to appear and
begin the plantation at. a special time. The deed of
Sholan was sanctioned by the general court, but there
were many circumstances which combined to retard
the growth of the plantation, all the associates but
Mr. Prescott refusing or neglecting to fulfill their
contracts, though choosing to retain their interest in
the property purchased. It is stated by Mr. Willard
that one only of the associates, John Prescott, the
stalwart blacksmith was 'faithful among the faith-
less.' He turned not back, but vigorously pursued
the interests of the plantation till his exertions were
crowned with success." The name of the settle-
ment at Nashaway was settled May 28, 1653, N. S.,
and the territory incorporated as Lancaster in honor
of Mr. Prescott, that being the name of his native
county in England. Mr. Prescott is said to have
been the first settler of the new town, though three

others, perhaps persons he had sent ahead, were
there tilling the soil when he made his settlement.
In answer to a petition of the inhabitants of the
plantation, six prudential managers of the town were
appointed by the general court, of whom, John Pres-
cott is named first. Mr. Prescott was a genuine
and influential member of the original Puritan stock
of New England and like many of his contempor-
aries, he was a man of marked character, devoting
his time to mechanical and agricultural pursuits,
which were well calculated to fit and prepare him
for the trials and hardships incident to and insepar-
able from the early settlers and pioneers of the
wilderness of America. He was a man of strict
integrity and of great energy and perseverance, and
at an early period became a leading spirit, and a
prominent and influential man among the- pioneers.
He took the oath of fidelity in 1652, and was made a
freeman in 1669. By occupation he was not only a
farmer, but both a blacksmith and a millwright. In
November, 1653, he received a grant of land of the
inhabitants, on condition that he would build a "Corn
Mill," that is, a mill to grind "grain." He built
the mill in season to commence grinding May 23,.
i6.q4. The erection of a saw mill soon followed.
"The town voted that if he would erect one he
should have the grant of certain privileges and a
large tract of land lying near his mill, for him and
his posterity for ever, and to be more exactly
recorded when exactly known. In consideration of
these provisions 'Goodman Prescott' forthwith
erected his mill." "Its location was on the spot
where the Lancaster Manufacturing Company has
extensive works. The people from all the neighbor-
ing towns came to Prescott's grist mill. The stone^
of this mill was brought from England and now
lies in fragments in the vicinity of the factory."
Lancaster, in common with other frontier towns,
suffered greatly from Indian depredations when-
ever there was a war between the mother country
and France. In 1675 eight persons were killed in
Lancaster; and in 1676 fifteen hundred Indians
killed or took prisoners more than fifty persons.
Among the killed were two sons-in-law and two
grandsons of Mr. Prescott. The white settlers then
left the town, and did not return until 1679, when
the Prescotts were among those who came back
to the ruins of their former homes. John Prescott
was a strong, athletic man of stern countenance, and
wherever he had any difficulty with the Indians he
clothed himself in a coat of mail, helmet, cuirass
and gorget, which he had brought from England,,
and thus arrayed never failed to prevail over the
savages. Various stories are told of his encounters
with his red foes. John Prescott married, January
21, 1629, Mary Platts, at Wygan, in Lancashire. Her
family appears to have been subsequently of the
parish of Halifax, in Yorkshire. The children of
John and Mary (Platts) Prescott were: Mary,
Martha, John, Sarah, Hannah, Lydia, Jonathan, and
Jonas, whose sketch follows.

(V) Captain Jonas, ninth child and fourth son"
of John and Mary (Platts) Prescott, was born in
Lancaster, Massachusetts, in June 1648, and died
December 31, 1723, aged seventy-five. He settled
in Groton, where he or his father for him, built
the mill in the south part of the town, now within
the limits of Harvard, which is still called "the old
mill." At a town meeting held in Groton, Novem-
ber 19. 1673, it was voted that "By agreement of
the town Jonas Prescott is to grind the town's corn
for the town every second and every sixth day in
every week." At a town meeting in Groton. June
13, 1681, liberty was granted to Jonas Prescott to



set up his corn mill at Stony Brook, "an agreement
between Jonas Prescott and the town of Groton,
that he, the said Prescott, have liberty to set up a
sawmill at Stony Brook on conditions that he fur-
nish the town at six pence a hundred (feet) cheaper
than they are sold at any other sawmill, and for
town pay, and that the town be supplied before
any other person." This privilege was to continue
or cease at the pleasure of the town. He bought
land in Groton until he became one of the largest
land holders in the town. In addition to being a
farmer, miller and sawyer, he was a blacksmith, and
upon the re-settlement of the town after its de-
struction by the Indians in 1676, he built mills and
a forge for the manufacture of iron from the ore
at Forge Valley, so called, which was then in Gro-
ton, but is now in Westford. He was a man of
elevated rank and much influence in the com-
munity. He was town clerk in 1691 ; a member of
the board of selectmen for several years ; and rep-
resentative to the general court in 1699 and 1705.
He was also a captain in the mihtia and a justice
of the peace. He married, December 14, 1672,
Mary, daughter of John and Mary (Draper) Loker,
of Sudbury. She was born September 28, 1653,
and died October 28, 1735, aged eighty-two years.
Their children were: Mary, Elizabeth, Jonas, Na-
thaniel. Dorothy, James, Sarah, Abigail, Martha,
Susannah, Deborah and Benjamin.

(VI) Captain Jonas (2), third child and eldest
son of Jonas (i) and Mary (Loker) Prescott, was
born October 26, 1678, and died September 12,
1750, aged seventy-two. He resided at Forge Vil-
lage, which has been included in Westford since
1730. He enlarged and improved the works on
Stony Brook, which his father established, by erect-
ing additional forges for reducing the iron ore, as
well as for other purposes. Upon the petition of
himself and others a part of Groton, including
"Forge Village," was in 1730 set ofif from Groton
to Westford. The water privilege and works on
Stony Brook at Forge Village have been owned,
held and occupied by the Prescott family since
their purchase of the land from Andrew, the Indian.
Jonas (2) was a captain in the militia, a justice oi
the peace, and in 1720 a representative in the legis-
lature. He married (first), October 15, 1699,
Thankful Wheeler, of Concord, who died November
I, 1716. He married (second), April 30, 1718, Mary
Page, who was born in 1687, and died July 19, 1781,
aged ninety-four. The children, all by the first
wife, were: Ebenezer, Jonas, Thankful, Mary,
Sarah and Dorcas.

(VII) Ebenezer, eldest child of Jonas (2) and
Thankful (Wheeler) Prescott, was born July 19.
1700, and died December i, 1771, aged seventy-one
years. In 1730 he and his brother Jonas, Ebenezer
Townsend and others petitioned the general court
to be set ofif from Groton to Westford, which peti-
tion was granted that year. He married. May 24,
1721, Hannah Farnsworth. Their children were :
Ebenezer, Oliver, Sarah, Joseph, David, Hannah,
Rebecca and Eunice.

(VIII) Deacon Oliver, second son and child
of Ebenezer and Hannah (Farnsworth) Prescott,
was born May 5, 1725, and died January i, 1803,
in the seventy-eighth year of his age. He settled
as a farmer at Westford, Massachusetts, where for
manj'- years he was deacon of the church. He mar-
ried. June 8, 1749, Bethia Underwood, who was
born September 27, 1729, and died in Harvard.
October i, 1813, aged eighty- four. They had twelve
children: Susanna, Hannah, Benjamin,' Betsey,

Bethia, Oliver, Polly, Phebe, Lucy, Mar}', Abraham
and Isaac.

(IX) Colonel Benjamin, third child and eldest
son of Deacon Oliver and Bethia (Underwood)
Prescott, was born March 15, 1754, and died in
Jafifrey, New Hampshire, in 18.39, aged eighty-five.
In 1774 he removed to Jaffrey, New Hampshire,
which was then almost in a state of nature, with
improvements few and far between. Being in a
new country and far from the towns and larger
settlements, with roads mere bridle paths, and sorne-
times without roads, spotted trees alone indicating
the way, he and his family for years suffered many
hardships incidental to pioneer settlement in the
remote wilderness. While acting as a spy the day
previous to the battle of Bunker Hill, he was cap-
tured by the British, but made his escape the same
day. He was a farmer, and for forty years an inn-
keep. In religious belief he was a Baptist, and was
one of the constituent members of the Baptist
Church in Jaffrey, of which he was a lifelong pillar.

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 34 of 149)