Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 57 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 57 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Lynn, where he died intestate, October 8, 1703. He
made a will October 5. 1703, which is endorsed
"Will not perfect," and was not probated, as it had
but two witnesses. Samuel, the son of John Cole,
of Boxford, was appointed administrator of the es-
tate of his widowed mother, Sarah Cole, of Brad-
ford, May 25, 1741. John Cole married, May 28,
1667, Mary Knight, who died before 1675. She was
probably a daughter of William Knight. He mar-
ried (second), between 1675 and 1686, Sarah Alsbee,
who was tried for witchcraft at Charlestown, and
acquitted February i, 1693. John Cole's children
by the first wife were : John, Thomas, Mary and
Hannah ; and by the second wife : Samuel and

(III) Samuel, the fifth child of John Cole, bom
by his second wife, Sarah (Alsbee) Cole, was born
in Lynn, December 27, 1687, and died in Boxford,
January 20, 1765. In 1717 he went to Boxford with
his father, and for £110 purchased of Ebenezer
Burbank the farm on which his posterity resided
until about the close of the Civil war. This was
the tract of sixty-seven acres laid out to Thomas
Lever in 1666. He was taxed in Boxford from 1717
to 1749. His wife Susanna, whom he married be-
tween 1710 and 1720, died July 29, 1785, aged ninety-
five. Their children were : Samuel, John, Rebecca,
Susanna and Mary.

(IV) Samuel (2), eldest child of Samuel (i)
and Susanna Cole, was probably born in Lynn, and
resided in Boxford, where he died in 1805. He
married Bethiah Hardy, of Bradford, October* 5,
1738, and they had fifteen children: Daniel, Ben-
jamin, Solomon, Phineas, Mercy, , Martha. Rebecca, <
Eliphalet, Samuel, Margaret, Jesse and David
(twins), Bethiah (died young), Simeon and

(V) Solomon, third son and child of Samuel
(2) and Bethiah (Hardy) Cole, was born in Box-
ford, April I, 1743, and settled in Landaff, New
Hampshire, where he died in 1835, aged ninety-two.
He married Mehitablc Barker, of Andover (pub-
lished January 8, 1766). Their children were:
Timothy, Kimball, Benjamin, Isaac, John, Solomon,.
Samuel, Asa and Catherine.

(VI) Lieutenant Kimball, second son of Solo-
mon and Mehitable (Barker) Cole, was born in
Boxford, Massachusetts, in 1780, and died there in
1822. He was usually called Lieutenant Cole. He
married Abigail Runnells (published April 2. 1804).
She was born in Methuen, in February, 1780, and
died in Boxford, April 7, i86r, daughter of William
and Rebecca Runnells, of Methuen. Their children
were : Sarah Foster, Rebecca. Ephraim Foster,.
Mehitable Baker, Abigail, John Kimball and Wil-
liam Runnells.

(VII) Ephraim Foster, third child and eldest
son of Lieutenant Kimball and Abigail (Runnells)
Cole, was born in Boxford, July 6, 1809, and died
there April 23, 1879. He was a farmer and a life-
long resident of Boxford. He married (first),
Eliza Spofford, December 10, 1830. She was born
in Chester, New Hampshire, and died April 25,
1832. He married (second), March 5, 1833, Sarah
Spofford, who was born in Danville. New Hamp-
shire, and died in Boxford, daughter of Benjamin
Spofford. He had one child by the first wife, and
nine by the second, as follows : Eliza Spofford,
William Kimball, George Spofford, John Foster,
Charles Warren, Sarah Jane, Arthur E., Joseph
Franklin, Wallace W., and Roscoe Kimball. Eliza
S. died young; William K., born January 6, 1834,
died unmarried in Hillsborough, Iowa, October 23,
1856; George S., born July 2, 1836, resides in An-



dover, Massachusetts; John F., born January 20,
1841, enlisted in Company F, Thirty-fifth Massachu-
setts Volunteer Infantry, and was wounded and
died in McClellan Hospital, Philadelphia, from the
effects of his wounds, June 14, 1864; Charles W.,
born April 3, 1844, enlisted in Company F, Thirty-
fifth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, and died
of fever at Newport News, March 3, 1863. Sarah
Jane, born March 13, 1846, married Melvin T. Wad-
lin, and resided in North Andover, Massachusetts,
now in Methuen, Massachusetts. Arthur E.. born
September 30, 1848, lives in Orono, Maine. Joseph
F., born September 28, 1851, resides in Andover,
Massachusetts. Wallace W. is mentioned below.
Roscoe K., born February 28, 1861, resides in An-
dover, Massachusetts.

(VIII) Wallace Woodbury, eighth child and sev-
enth son of Ephraim F. and Sarah (Spofford)
Cole, was born in Boxford, Massachusetts, Novem-
ber 19. 1855. He attended the public schools, and
remained at home until he was eighteen years old,
and then worked a short time in a carriage factory
in Amesbury. The five years following he was em-
ployed as a carpenter in Andover. In 1876 he re-
moved to Salem, New Hampshire, where he worked
for a year as journeyman carpenter, then lo-
cated on his wife's father's farm and resided there
twenty-five years till 1904, then came to his present
home at Salem Depot. In 1879 he formed a partner-
ship with Charles A. Dow, under the firm name of
Cole & Dow. and engaged in the retail meat business.
Subsequently Mr. Cole bought his partner's interest
and carried the business on alone up to 1904, when
he sold out. In 1899 he became interested in luni-
bering, and has kept increasing his interests until
now he has two portable steam sawmills in Salem
and one each in York and Elliott. Maine, and cuts
annually several million feet of lumber. He is a
man of foresight and good judgment, and has accu-
mulated a large amount of property, much of which
is in valuable real estate. Without the advantage
of a liberal education, his native ability has been
sufficient to v/in .success where better educated men
have failed. He is a zealous Republican and a local
leader of his party. He has served as chairman of
the Republican town committee, has been selectman
four terms, two of which he was chairman of the
board; represented the town in the legislature in
1892-94, and was senator from the Twentieth dis-
trict in 1905. Was chosen a delegate to the consti-
tutional convention of 1900. He is an attendant of
the Methodist Episcopal Church of which he is a
trustee. He is also a member of Sprickett Lodge,
No. 85, Free and Accepted Masons, of Salem, and
has been senior warden a number of years. Mem-
ber of Salem Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, and
treasurer of this a number of years, and also a mem-
ber of United Order Pilgrim Fathers. He was also
treasurer of the public library for a number of years.
He married, December 24. 1878, at Salem, Ida Dow-
Colby, who w-as born in Salem, daughter of William
G. and Frances (Dow) Colby, of Windham. Eight
children have been born to them: Mabel, Minnie F..
Gertrude C. Clarence W., Edith L., Eva M., William ^
McK. and George W. Mabel, born in Salem, Jan-
uary 26, 1880, married, September 25, 1901, Aaron
Alexander, of Windham. They have one child,
Everett H. Minnie F. born August 25. 1882, mar-
ried. September 9. 1903, Fred Weiss, and has two
children: Pauline and Donald. Gertrude Colby,
hern Seotember 16, 1884, married, June 2T, 1905,
Charles Quimby. Clarence Waldo, born January 20,
1888. Edith Lillian, born May 20, 1891. Eva Mil-
dred, born July 5, 1895. William McKinley, born

September zy, 1896. George Wallace, born July 9.

(Third Family.)
There are many branches of the Cole,

COLE Coles or Cowles family among the early
English emigrants to this country. The
Hartford (Connecticut) line is descended from
James Cole, who was born in England, came to
what is now Cambridge, Massachusetts, and in
1635 joined a party which journeyed to the Con-
necticut valley, under the lead of the Rev. Thomas
Hooker, where they established themselves on the
site of the present city of Hartford. Another James
Cole landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts. He is
mentioned in the Plymouth Colony records in the
list of freemen of 1633, where the name is spelled
Coale. He was the first settler on the eminence
known as Burial Hill. He was an innkeeper for
thirty years, and in 1644 he was chosen constable.
William Cole was among the earliest settlers of
Hampton, New Hampshire. His wife Eunice was
accused of witchcraft in 1656. She is the "Goody
Cole" referred to in Whittier's poem of "River-
mouth Rocks." She died in a little hut in the rear of
the present Hampton Academy.

(I) Joseph Cole was born in Plympton, Alassa-
chusetts, early in the eighteen century. It is proba-
ble that he was descended from the Plymouth
(Massachusetts) line, but positive proof is lacking.
He was a private in Captain Perkin's company in
the expedition against Louisburg. He had pre-
viously married Mary . He removed to

Bridgewater, Massachusetts, where he died. He
had ten children: Samuel, married, November 16,
1762. Sarah Packard, of Bridgewater; Ephraim,
married Hannah Randall; Joseph, married Betty
Southworth; Mary, married June 8, 1758, Colonel
Frederick Pope, of Stoughton, Massachusetts; Su-
sanna, married — — Niles ; Catherine, married
Daniel Littlefield ; Elizabeth, married Solomon
Smith, of East Bridgewater; Eleazer, mentioned in

the succeeding paragraph ; Sarah, married

Worthington ; Silence, born in 1755, died young.

■ (II) Eleazer, fourth son and eighth child of
Joseph and Mary Cole, was born April 8, 1747. He
married, Julv 11, 1769, Lucy Shurtleff, of Bridge-
water, who was born October 11, I75^- The Mas-
sachusetts Revolutionary rolls record him as a
drummer in Captain Josiah Hayden's company of
niinute-mcn. He enlisted from Bridgewater, April
26. 1775. Later in the year he served as sergeant
for three months one week and one day. The
companv is reported to have been encamped at Rox-
bury. in after life he moved to Paris, ]\Taine. His
final home was in Greenwood, Maine. Eleazer and
Lucy (Shurtleff) Cole 'had seven children, all born
in Massachusetts ; Calvin, married Betsey Sawn ;
Phebe, born October 3T. 1777, married John Bil-
lings; Silence (Tyla). married Gilbert Shaw; Cy-
prian, is mentioned below; Polly, married Joseph
Whitman ; Lucy married Lazarus Hathaway, Jr. ;
Jonathan, married Abigail Whitman.

(III) Cvprian, second son and fourth child of
Eleazer and" Lucy (Shurtleff) Cole, lived in Green-
wood, Maine. He was a colonel in the state militia.
He was twice married. His first wife was Lovicy
Perham. ?nd his second, Patty Tuell.

(IV) Laurenson. son of Cyprian Cole, was born
in Greenwood Maine. He was educated in the
common and high schools. He owned a large farm
in Milton, Maine, where he carried on a successful
general farming. In politics he was an active Re-
publican. When the Civil war broke out he was
appointed captain of a company, but as he was



past forty-five and his mother was still living, he
could not serve. He was a deacon in the Baptist
Church in Milton, Maine, and was highly respected
by all who knew him. He married Lycena Spof-

ford, daughter of and Anna (Fish) Spof-

ford. They had five children : Augusta M., Virgil
v., Samuel F., Edmund Chase and Lounaza

(V) Edmund, third son and fourth child of
Deacon Laurenson and Lucinda (Spofiford) Cole,
was born in Milton, Maine, October 5, 1845. He
attended the public and private schools of Milton
and adjoining towns, and fitted for college at Nor-
way, and Hebron Academies, Maine. He was a
student at Colby University one year, but took the
other three at Bowdoin College from which insti-
tution he was graduated in 1871 with the degree of
A. B. Three years later his abna mater conferred
on him the degree of A. M. In the fall of 1871
he became the first principal of the Simonds free
high school at Warner, New Hampshire, which po-
sition he held for three years. He did excellent
work in organizing the courses of study and laying
the foundation for the subsequent prosperity of the
school. In 1874 Mr. Cole began the study of law
and continued it for the next three years, in the
course of which time he taught one term in Mar-
low Academy, and three terms at Contoocook
Academy, both in New Hampshire. In all he has
taught thirty-six successful terms of school, a most
creditable record. In the fall of 1878 he bought in
Portsmouth the equipment of a printing ofiice, and
removed it to Warner. He subsequently began the
publication of the Kearsarge Independent, whose
first issue bears the date of April 4, 1884. The fol-
lowing December he bought the subscription list
of the Hopkinton Times, published in Contoocook,
and changed his paper's name to the Kearsarge
Independent and Times. He prints and sends out
fifteen hundred copies a week. The bulk of the
edition goes to Merrimack county, but there are
subscribers in several distant states.

In politics Mr. Cole is a Republican, and has
held many of the town offices. He has been on the
school board since 1871, has been superintendent
of the high school, and has been supervisor, of the
check lists for many terms. He was postmaster
during the last year of President Arthur's admin-
istration. He is a member of the board of health,
president of the trustees of the Pillsbury Free Li-
brary, and was for a time a local police officer. He
represented the town in the state legislature in 1901.
He is chairman of the board of water commission-
ers. He has been active in establishing the fine
water and sewage system and electric light plant
for which Warner is noted. He is an efficient mem-
ber of the fire department. He is a member of Cen-
tral Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
and past noble grand ; a member of Welcome Re-
bekah Lodge ; a member of the Patrons of Hus-
bandry, and past master of Warner Grange ; a
member of Kearsarge Division, Sons of Temper-
ance : and a member of the United Order of the
Golden Cross, of which he is past commander. He
w^as appointed justice of the Warner police court
by Governor McLime and council, and is still act-
ing as such. In religious belief he is a Unitarian.
He has been twice married. His first wife was
Emma B. Quimby, daughter of Asa and Sally
(Colby) Pattee, of Warner. They were married in
January, 1877, and of this marriage one child, Sarah
Adelaide Cole, was born. Mrs. Cole died Septem-
ber 28, 1882. Seven years later, August 3, 1889,
Mr. Cole married Fanny E. Corey, daughter of

George H. and Mary H. Corey, of Middlebury, Ver-
mont. They have had four children, the two
younger deceased : Edward E., Mary G., Thomas
R. and Nada L. Mrs. Cole is active in the Re-
bekah Lodge, and held the office of noble grand
in 1907.

This surname is variously spelled in
PATTEE the early records Pettee, Petty, Patty

and Pattee. According to family tra-
dition the progenitor was a French Huguenot who
settled in the Isle of Jersey with many others of
his sect when they fled from France. The members
of the Pattee family in Massachusetts and New
Hampshire generally have been strong and bright
men and women. Their record as pioneers is a
most creditable one and they have borne their just
proportion of the burdens and responsibilities in the
development of the commonwealth of New Hamp-
shire. It w^as not one of the first among the New
England colonists, but it was planted in Massachu-
setts long T^revious to the Revolution, and was
thoroughly assimilated before that struggle.

(I) Sir William Pattee. ancestor of this family,
was a prominent physician, being not only physician
to Cromwell under the Commonwealth, but also
later to King Charles II. He was one of the found-
ers of the Royal Society of Physicians, and in 1660
was knighted by the king. He was a copious writer
on political economy, and is mentioned as an au-
thority in Macaulay's "History of England."

(II) Peter (2), son of Sir William Pattee (i),
was born in Landsdown, England, in 1648. In 1669,
on account of certain political opinions that he en-
tertained, he found it necessary to take a hasty de-
parture from his native land, and he settled in Vir-
ginia. In 1676 or 1677 he left Virginia, possibly
on account of domestic unhappiness, as we find him
accused of leaving a wife in Virginia, after he had
married in Massachusetts, where he sought a new
home. Neither the merits of the case nor its dis-
position appear in the records, but he apparently
was not disturbed, for he remained where he had
made his home, in Haverhill, Massachusetts, and
lived there the rest of his days. In November, 1677,
he took the prescribed oath of fidelity and allegi-
ance to the Crown. We are told that he established
the first ferry at Haverhill and that the locality
still bears his name. Somehow and somewhere he
had picked up the trade of cordwainer, as a shoe-
maker w-as then designated, and at the annual meet-
ing of Haverhill in the spring of 1677, a year after
the application of one William Thompson "to be
accepted townsman, to dwell here and follow his
trade of shoe-making" had been refused, Pattee
made a similar application, and met with a similar
refusal. The record of the transaction shows:
"Petter Patie making a motion to the town to grant
him a piece of land to settle upon, it not being till
then known to the town that he was a married man
and a stranger, having hitherto accounted of him
as a journeyman shoemaker, his motion, according
to law, was rejected, and the moderator declared
to him before the public assembly that the town
doth not own him or allow of him for an inhabi-
tant of Haverhill and that it was the duty of the
Grand-jury men to look after him." But this was
in line with a general custom in the towns of that
period. The very best families, when removing
from one town to another, were, according to this
custom, "warned out," merely as a precaution, in
case of pauperism later, to relieve the town of re-
sponsibility, and preventing the acquiring of a legal
residence. As a rule no attention was paid to warn-



ings. Nor did this rude refusal of his polite re-
quest discourage Peter Pattee. He stayed in Hav-
erhill all his life and held office there later. In 1680
he was presented to the court for being absent from
his Virginia wife several years and next year was
presented for having another wife in Virginia. But
this action seems to have amounted to nothing, for
in 1694 he was elected to the then important office
of town constable in Haverhill by a "plentiful, clear
and legal paper vote." It appears that he was the
first shoemaker regularly to follow his trade in a
place since famous for the manufacture of boots
and shoes, for he made shoes, despite the formal
vote of the town. He was undoubtedly of different
faith and standards of life from those of the stern
old Puritan fathers of Haverhill. The opposition
to him had not died out when in 1695 _ he asked
permission of the town to erect a grist mill at East
River Meadow, and was refused. The reason given
for this action was that the town was under obli-
gations to Currier & Greeley, millers. But, if tra-
dition is correct, he built a mill just the same, some
say the first in the town. He had a tavern there in
1696 wdien Nathaniel Saltonstall coinplained that
there were too many taverns licensed in the vicinity.
His Massachusetts wife, whom he married Novem-
ber 8, 1682, had according to family tradition
twenty-two children. There is no record of children
by the Virginia wife. Certainly eight children were
born to him between July 28, 1683, and May 15.
1696, viz: I. Moses, born 1683; Benjamin (died
young) ; Jeremiah ; Samuel, had a seat in the Hav-
erhill meeting house in 1709; Hannah; Mercy;
Jemima; Benjamin, born May 15, 1696, mentioned
below, and Peter.

(III) Richard, called the eldest son in the will
of his father, Peter Pattee, was baptized in 1678,
and resided in Haverhill. He was married there
to Susanna Beale, who died in Salem, New Hamp-
shire, in July, 1748. She was admitted to the
church July 31, 1715. They had twelve children.
(Mention of Peter and Benjamin and descendants
appears in this article).

(IV) Richard (2), son of Richard (i) and
Susanna (Beale) Pattee, was born September 7,
1720. in Haverhill, and resided in that town. He
fought at Bunker Hill, where his son James Paul
Pattee was by his side. He was married Febru-
ary 17, 1744, in Methuen, to Mary, daughter of Ed-
ward Clark, and they had twelve children.

(V) William, son of Richard (2) and Mary
(Clark) Pattee, was born December 3, 1754. in Sa-
lem, Massachusetts, and died in Alexandria, New
Hampshire, where he was buried. His grave is
described as located "Up on the hill by Charles
Plummer's." He was a pioneer settler in that town
on what is still known as the Pattee farm. He was
married in Londonderry, New Hampshire, to Mary
Hyde, and they had four sons and four daughters.
The mother died about 1831, aged nearly ninety
years. In the New Hampshire Revolutionary Rolls
William Pattee is mentioned on a petition dated
Northumberland, October 12, 1776, in which Captain
Jeremiah Eames' company ask for more pay. In
Colonel Bartlett's militia regiment for Colonel
Drake's regiment. October, 1777, occurs the name
William Pattee, Salem. In Musgrove's "History
of Bristol," William Polee occurs in a list of names
with the date December 25, 1775. There can be
little doubt that this is William Pattee, since as far
as can be ascertained there was never a Polee in

(VI) William (2), son of William (i) and
Mary (Hyde) Pattee, was born in 1775, in Salem,

New Hampshire, and resided on the Pattee farm
in Alexandria. He was probably a child when his
father settled there. He was a man of some note
in Alexandria, extensively interested in business
and served for some time as justice of the peace.
About 1801 he was married to Judith Worthen, who
was born 1781, and died February 20, 1857. He
died July 18, 1820, from injuries received from
being thrown from a horse. They had eight chil-

(VII) Moses, son of William (2) and Judith
(Worthen) Pattee, was born March 15, 1806, in
Alexandria, where he died October 3, 1875. He
was a farmer by occupation, and continued to reside
near the old homestead, and he was also a stone-
mason. He was a Methodist in religious faith. He
was married to Jane Gordon, wdio was born Ma;rch
7, 1810, and died May 6, 1879, daughter of Jesse
Gordon. They were the parents of ten children,
namely: Jesse, William, Moses, Lewis F., Henry,
Betsy J. (died young), Betsy J. (died young),
James. W'ilbur. Rosa M.

(VIH) Lewis Franklin, fourth son of Moses
and Jane (Gordon) Pattee, was born March 23,-
1834, in Alexandria, and passed the greater part of
his life in that town. He was educated in the com-
mon schools. In early manhood he went west, set-
tled for a time in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but re-
turned at length to Bristol, New Hampshire, where
for some years he resided. In 1867 he bought the
farm adjoining that on which he was born. He
learned his father's trade and for many years fol-
lowed it in connection with farming. He was mar-
ried Januarv 25, 1861, to Mary Philbrick Ingalls,
who was born January 3, 1834, in Bristol, New
Hampshire. She was a daughter of Gilman and
Sarah (Roberts) Ingalls. He died in Bristol Oc-
tober 16, 1906. (See Ingalls, V).

(IX) Fred Lewis, eldest child of Lewis F. and
Mary P. (Ingalls) Pattee, was born March 22.
1863, in Bristol, New Hampshire, and passed his
early life in that town, where his primary education
was obtained in the public schools. He fitted for
college at the New Hampton Institute, from which
he was graduated in 1884, and he was graduated
from Dartmouth College with the degree of Bach-
elor of Arts, in 1888. Three years later his alma
mater conferred upon him the degree of Master of
Arts. From 1888 to 1890 he was principal of high
schools in New Jersey and Massachusetts. From
1890 to 1894 he was principal of Coe's Northwood
Academy, Northwood, New Hampshire. Since this
time he has been professor of the English language
and lite'rature in the Pennsylvania State College of
Pennsylvania. In 1897 he made a tour of England
and Scotland, and in 1902 he made a Europeantnp
and spent considerable time in study at the Univer-
sitv of Goettingen, Germany. Professor Pattee is
well known to readers and speakers of America
through his books, among which may be mentioned:
"The Wine of Mav and Other Lyrics" (1893);
"Pasqtianey. a Studv" (1894) : "A History of Amer-
ican Literature" (1896) ; "Reading Courses in Amer-
ican Literature" (1S97) ; "The Foundations of En-
glish Literature" (1900) : "Mary Garvin" (1902) ;
"The House of the Black Ring" (1905)- He is
also the editor of Shakespeare's Macbeth (1897)
and the Poetical Works of Philip Freneau (three
volumes. 1903). Professor Pattee is a Methodi.st
in religious faith, and takes an independent posi-

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 57 of 149)