Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 64 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 64 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Carter, written by Dr. C. P. Gage, gives so just
an account of him that the most of the following
account is taken from it.

"He commenced practice in Concord in 1825. In
1826 he removed to the neighboring town of Lou-
don, but returned in 1828 to Concord, where he
continued in the active practice of his profession
until within a few years of his death. In 1836 and
1837 he was a representative from Concord in the
state legislature, was commissioned justice* of the
peace in 1837, was physician to the state prison for
manv years, and held many town and city offices.
In 1844 he was president of the New Hampshire
Medical Society, in which since 1826 he had been
an active and esteemed member."

"As a general practitioner. Dr. Carter stood
deservedly high with his professional brethern and
with the community. By a judicious course of read-
ing he kept himself well informed in the medical



literature of his time. He had a happy faculty
of bringing to bear in any given case the results of
his reading and experiences, and was always able to
sustain his opinion by sound reasons and the best
authorities. He early secured, and for a lifetime
held, a very lucrative practice. His patrons ranked
well in the comnuuiity as to means and respecta-
bility. He was untiring in his investigations of
cases ; slow, but uncommonly accurate in his diag-
noses. From a long and close observance of the
modus operandi of drugs, he acquired uncommon
skill in selecting and exhibiting remedies. Being
endowed with good common sense, much tact and
sound judgment, he early gained the reputation
of a safe and successful practitioner. In surgery
few were better read or had sounder views of that
branch of the healing art than he possessed. He
treated all cases that fell under his care with re-
markable success. At any rate, I do not believe
there is a single case of deformity extant to adver-
tise his want of surgical skill, and that is much
to say of any man of fifty years' service. For many
years he was the leading physician of Concord and
its vicinity in obstetrical cases. In the sick room,
he was a model physician, quiet, gentle, and sooth-

"Dr. Carter was the most modest and unassum-
ing man I ever met in the profession, never boast-
ing of what he had done or of what he could do,
although nature, circumstances, and his own efforts
had combined to make him a great physician."

"His well balanced and well stored mind, long
experience, strict integrity and watchful care of the
interests of his consulting brother, as well as that
of the patient, made him a favorite with men of
his profession and brought him in frequent counsel
with all the well bred physicians of his neighbor-

He married, 'Sla.y 8, 1830, Abby T. Clark, of
Portsmouth. They had two children : Edward
Pierce and William Gardner.

(IX) Dr. William Gardner Carter, second child
and son of .Dr. Ezra and Abby T. (Clark) Carter,
was born in Concord, August 8, 1838, and died
March 7, 1904. After completing his studies at
Pembroke Academy he worked in the book store
of his uncle in Portland, Maine, for a time. From
there he entered Bowdoin Medical College, but
took his degree from Harvard Medical School in
1869. Returning to Concord he succeeded to his
father's practice and soon attained popularity as a
physician. His professional career was closed about
1889 by reason of failing health, after about twenty
years spent in the practice of it. He was one of
those bright, cheery persons whose presence is a
.ray of sunshine in a sick room and is remembered
"by his former patients with heartfelt, pleasure. His
retirement did not lessen his interest in the pro-
fession and professional work, and during the re-
mainder of his life he kept himself well informed
upon matters of interest to the medical world by
means of his journals and books, which enabled
him to discuss with the fullest professional intelli-
gence the latest methods of treatment. He posses-
sed a broad culture, especially in literature and
music, and was a musical critic and performer of
fine perception and attainments. While a 'lad in
Portland he was organist in a prominent church,
and upon coming to Concord to practice medicine
began a term of service as organist at the North
Church which lasted as long as his strength would
permit him to continue this labor of love. The
exercise of his musical talent made many happy
hours for him and those around him, both at home

and in society. He was a genial, hospitable man and
a friend has well said : "Dr. Carter was a man of
boundless generosity, and his engaging personality
drew around him a group of devoted friends for
whom his delightful wit, his broad views of men
and affairs, his charming manners and unfeigned
solicitude has a constantly increasing allurement.
His home was the center of attraction for a rare
company of kindred spirits who always found in
him a source of keen and delightful companion-
ship." Dr. Carter was married, i\lay 13, 1869, to
Miss Harriet Esther Pecker, daughter of Robert
Eastman and Esther (Lang) Pecker, of Concord
(see Pecker, VI). Mrs. Carter was born October
6, 1846, in the house where she now resides, on
North Main street, Concord. She is active in the
social and intellectual life of the town, and in
club and church work. She is the mother of one
son, Robert Ezra Carter, who is now employed -in
the Boston banking house of E. H. Rollins' Sons.

(V) Colonel John Carter, fifth child and third
son of Daniel and Hannah (Fowler) Carter, was
born in Concord, New Hampshire, and was a promi-
nent citizen and large property owner there. His
residence was on what in 1834 was named Hall
street, and owned what was called the Interval
Farm in the "Bend of the River" on the southern
line of the town. In the war of 1812 he was lieu-
tenant-colonel of a regiment of volunteers enlisted
for the northern army, and under the command of
General Aquilla Davis, of Warner. Under date of
November 11, 1847, the Nczv Hampshire Patriot had
the following notice: "Died in this town (Concord),
November 7, Colonel John Carter, a revolutionary
pensioner and colonel in a regiment in the war
of 1812, aged eighty-eight years and five months.
Colonel Carter was a native of Concord, and at the
time of his decease was the second oldest resident
of the place. He was always a firm and consistent
Democrat, and lover of his country." He married
(first) Betsey Brown, and had one daughter, Anna.
He married (second) widow Lucy Wells, formerly
Cavis. Their children were : Betsey, Wells, John,
Nathaniel, Aaron, William M. and Hiram.

(VI) Betsey, second daughter and child of
Colonel John and Lucy (Cavis) (Wells) Carter,
became the wife of David White (see White, HI).

(VI) Hiram, youngest child of Colonel John
and Lucy (Cavis) (Wells) Carter, was born in
Bow, June 13, 1802. His early life was spent in
Bow and on his father's farm on what is now Hall
street. Concord. The schooling he received was
only such as the district schools of his day af-
forded, and a part of the time he was obliged to
walk three miles to a school house for instruction.
His active life was devoted partly to farming and
lumbering and parth' to matters connected with
the navigation of the Merrimack river, which was
traversed from Concord to its mouth by boats and
rafts by the aid of canals and locks and dams until
the completion of the railroad to Concord in 1842.
His residence for years was in winter time at the
farm and in summer in a house below Concord,
near the river. For five or ten j-ears between 1832
and 1842 he was pilot and locktendcr at Garvins
Falls, during the season of navigation, and when
other employment was not to be had he devoted his
leisure to catching salmon for the market. Between
tween 1850 and i860 he spent five or six years in East
Dixfield, Maine, where he was engaged in farming
until the death of his second wife, when he re-
turned to Concord. After his third marriage he
lived in Pembroke. New Hampshire, where he died
November 2, 1890. His political faith was of the



Jacksonian sort of Democracy, and his religious
creed was that of the Universalists. He married
(first) in Wilton, Maine, June 5, 1823, Sally A.
Mayhew, born October 21, 1802, daughter of Nathan
and Sally Alayhew. Nathan Mayhew was born De-
cember 23, 1778, and he married in Livermore,
Maine, June 15, 1800, Sally Mayhew, born March i,
1773. Their children were : Phebe, Sally A.,
Thomas, Nathan, Isabel, Samuel, Cordelia and Han-
nah A. Nathan Mayhew died March 12, 1855, and
his wife Sally, June 12, 1844. Sally A. (Mayhew)
Carter died July 6, 1846, and Mr. Carter married
(second) Hannah A. Mayhew, her sister, born Oc-
tober 18, 1814. She died at East Dixfield, JNIaine,
July 25, 1862, and he married (third) Theodate
Brickett, of Pembroke, who survived him, and died
February 27, 1896, at Northwood, New Hampshire.
The children of the first wife were : Lucy D., Mary
A., Amanda M. F. W., Sarah A., George R., Nathan
M., Hiram J., Andrew B., Lucy D. and Orin T.
The children of the second marriage, all born in
Wilton, Maine, were: William Nelson, died young,
Nelson N., Albert- E., Franklin P. and William

(VH) Orin T., ninth and youngest child of
Hiram and Sally A. (Mayhew) Carter, was born
in Concord, February 6, 1843. His early education
was acquired in the common school of Dixford,
Maine, where he was taken by his father on his
removal to Maine. At the age of nineteen he re-
turned to Concord and engaged in the grocery
business with C. C. Webster. In 1863 he enlisted in
Company A, First Regiment, New Hampshire
Heavy Artillery, with which he served until he
was discharged. He served two years and two
months, stationed at Ft. Constitution, New Hamp-
shire, and at Washington, D. C. After his return
from the war he took his former position in Web-
ster's grocery store, where he worked until he
started in business for himself as a grocer and
fish monger. Later he accepted his brother as a
partner, and the firm of Carter Brothers continued
the business until ill health compelled Orin T. to
relinquish this for some out-door employment. The
two years next following he travelled through the
rural districts and sold groceries from a wagon.
Subsequently the firm of Carter & Pillsbury, dealers
in dry goods, was formed, of which Mr. Carter
was senior partner. This firm sold out to Mc-
Questen & Company, and Mr. Carter served as an
employee of that firm for eight years. He then
became a travelling agent and has been engaged
in that line of employment for the ten years last
past. Mr. Carter is an energetic man and a good
citizen, is fond of the company of his fellowmen,
and is a member of various fraternal organiza-
tions ; among which are : E. E. Sturtevant Post,
No. 2, Grand Army of the Republic; White Moun-
tain Lodge, No. 5, Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows; Concord Lodge, No. 8, Knights of Pythias,
and Profile Commandery, No. 263, Ancient and
Independent Order Knights of Malta. He married,
November 24, 1869, at Concord, Nellij A. Pillsbury,
born in Concord, November 26, 1850, daughter of
Thomas W. and Abigail (Palmer) Pillsbury, of
Concord. They have five children: John P., born
October 24, 1872; Fred E., June 5, 1874; Katie A.,
February 28, 1876, died February 4, 1881 ; Etta M.,
August 25, 1883, died September 16, 1904; George
O., October 9, 1890, died April 4, 1893.

Among the early families of New

HOBBS England were three of the surname

Hobbs, whose immigration dated to the

times of the Puritans of the first half of the seven-

teenth century. Tradition says they were brothers,
and that one returned to his mother country, while
the other two — Maurice (or Morris) and Henry
remained. Henry settled in Dover and his de-
scendants removed to what is now North Berwick,
where some of them still reside.

(I) Maurice (or Morris) Hobbs was the pro-
genitor of the New Hampshire families of that
surname. He was born about 1615, and settled in
the town of Hampton, New Hampshire, sometime
between the years 1640 and 1645, removing from
thence in the latter named year to Rollinsford,
where he settled on the bank of the river. He took
the oath of allegiance to Massachusetts in the fall
of 1648. There is an interesting tradition regarding
the immigration of Maurice Hobbs and the cir-
cumstances which impelled his action. The story
is told by Dow in his valuable "History of Hamp-
ton" (New Hampshire) a^id can be best retold here
in the words of that versatile writer: "He (Hobbs)
had been paying his addresses to a young lady who,
for some cause not mentioned, turned him ofif,
and thereupon he determined to emigrate to America.
When the lady knew of it she relented, and know-
ing he would pass her residence as he proceeded to
embark, placed herself in his view, hoping to bring
about a reconcilliation. To her grief she found
him inexorable; and although she accosted him
with the affectionate inquiry, 'Whither goest thou,
Maurice,' yet he deigned not to turn his head or
look back upon her; and they never saw each other
more." Maurice Hobbs married (first) Sarah
Estaw, who died May 5. 1686, and she bore him the
following children : William, John, Sarah, Nehe-
miah, Morris, James, Mary, Bethia, Hannah and
Abigail. William Estaw, father of Sarah (Estaw)
Hobbs, was one of the grantees of Hampton and
one of its first settlers. He was made freeman in
1638, and is said to have been a widower when he
came to the town. He represented Hampton at the
general assembly three years. His children were
Sarah and Mary Estaw, the latter of whom married
Thomas Marston. Maurice Hobbs married (sec-
ond) Sarah Swett, June 13, 1678, daughter of
Captain Benjamin and Esther (Weare) Swett. She
was born November 7, 1650, and died December 8,
1717. Captain Benjamin Swett was a noted char-
acter in early Hampton history, and was killed by
Indians, June 29, 1677. One son was born of the
second marriage of Maurice Hobbs, also Maurice by

(II) Maurice (2), son of Maurice (i) and
Sarah (Swett) Hobbs, was born in Rollinsford,
New Hampshire, September 13, 1680, and died May
7, 1739. He married Theodate, daughter of Na-
thaniel (2) Batchelder (see Batchelder, III) about ■
the 3'ear 1700, and their children were : James,
Mary, Sarah, Josiah, Theodate, Morris, Hannah,
Jonathan, Esther and Elizabeth.

(HI) James, eldest son of Maurice (2) and
Theodate (Batchelder) Hobbs, was born March 20,
1701, married Rebecca Hobbs, about the year 1719,
and had a son James. (It is possible that Nathaniel,
mentioned in this article, was also their son.)

(IV) James (2), son of James (i) and Rebecca
(Hobbs) Hobbs, was born January 11, 1729, and
died April, 1816. He married, in 1752, Ruth Phil-
pot, who was born December 29, 1731, and they had
a son Stephen.

(V) Stephen, son of James (2) and Ruth
(Philpot) Hobbs, was born April 10, 1761, and died
January 21, 1821. He lived in Berwick, Maine, and
in later years several of his children removed to


1 761

Industry, Maine. In 1780 he married Abigail Var-
ney, and their children were: James, Isaac, Joseph,
George, Stephen, Temperance and Abigail.

(VI) Isaac, son of Stephen and Abigail (Var-
ney) Hobbs, was born August 10, 1787, and died
March 2, 1870. He married, October 11, 1818,
Elizabeth Chick, who was born September 26, 1790,
and died August 31, 1857. They lived in Berwick,
INIaine, where Isaac was a farmer. They had two
children, Nathaniel C. and Charles W., the latter
of whom was born in Berwick, April 10, 1824.

(VII) Nathaniel C, son of Isaac and Elizabeth
(Chick) Hobbs, was born in Berwick, Maine, Janu-
ary 6, 1S22, and for more than twenty years was a
school teacher and farmer in that town. He taught
school almost continually from the time he was
seventeen years old until i860, and in connection
therewith carried on the old home farm which he
inherited from his mother. She died in 1857, and
in the course of a few years after\vard he removed
with his family to Dover, New Hampshire, where
he has been a member of the board of assessors,
holding office for twenty-seven years, and also a
member of the school board for many years. Mr.
Hobbs married, January 29, 1843, Elmira Little-
field, who has borne him seven children : Charles
E., born in Berwick, January 7, 1844, "ow living in
Boston. Ezra A., born in Berwick, December 29,
1845, a physician and surgeon in active practice in
Framingham, Massachusetts. Temperance S., born
in Berwick, August 11, 1848, married, March 4,
1876, John H. Ingraham, of Dover. Pliny, born in
Berwick, November 16, 1850, died May 22, 1905.
Justin E., born in Berwick, October 26, 1852, a
farmer, now living in Berwick. William L. (twin),
born October 8, 1857; and Lizzie (twin), born Oc-
tober 8, 1857, married, December 21, 1881, Charles
H. Hobbs.

(IV) Nathaniel Hobbs was born in North
Hampton, in 1742, and died in Ossipee, February
18, 1830. He owned property in Hampton which he
lost in the early part of the Revolution, and soon
after removed with his wife and five children to
Ossipee, where he spent the remainder of his life.
He married a Miss Leavitt, and had children :
Benjamin, Nathaniel, Jonathan, Joseph and Reu-

(V) Joseph, son of Nathaniel Hobbs, was born
in Ossipee in May, 1777, and died there, October
28, 1851. He became a prosperous farmer, and
before his death owned four hundred acres of land,
a part of which he cleared and otherwise improved;
and in connection with agriculture also did a con-
siderable Dusiness in lumbering. He was regarded
as one of the fathers of the town, and in 1832-33
he represented Ossipee in the state legislature. In
politics he was a Democrat. He was familiarly
known as "Squire Hobbs." He married Dorothy
Cooley, who was born in 1783, and died in March,
1863. Their children were : Samuel D., Lovina D.,
Annah, Oliver F., Elizabeth, Lucinda B., Wentworth
H., Ezra T., whose sketch follows.

(VI) Ezra Towle, youngest child of Joseph and
Dorothy (Cooley) Hobbs, was born in Ossipee,
September 23, 1827, and died April 25. 1873. He
was educated in the public schools of Ossipee, was
well instructed in farming by his father, and made
agriculture his life work. Not long after his mar-
riage he went to the vicinity of Winona, Minnesota,
where he continued farming and lumbering for some
years, and then returned to Ossipee, where the re-
mainder of his life was passed. He married, June
T, 1852, Hannah Maria Coggswell, who was born
in Portsmouth, November 21, 1830, and died in

Ossipee, May 25, 1872, daughter of Rev. Dr. Fred-
erick and Hannah Rogers (Peavey) Coggswell.
Their children were: Hannah Evelyn, died young;
Frank Pierce, Evelyn Anna, Effie Mary, died young;
Child, died young; and Frederick Ezra. Frank P.
is mentioned below. Evelyn Anna, born June 10,
1857, graduated from the Winona high school and
from the Minnesota State Normal, and subsequently
taught in Minnesota and Kansas, in the city of
Omaha five years, and in Denver, Colorado, five
years. Frederick E., born September 3, 1862, gradu-
ated from the State Normal School of Minnesota,
the University of Minnesota, and subsequently
studied law; after admission to the bar he opened
an office in Minneapolis, and has since resided in
that city. Since 1896 he has been a judge at one
of the municipal courts. He married Evelyn Wait,
of Winona.

(VII) Frank Pierce, second child and eldest
son of Ezra T. and Hannah M. (Coggswell) Hobbs,
was born in Winona, Minnesota, September 6, 1855,
and educated in the public schools of Ossipee and
Farnworth. While yet a boy he entered the employ
of what is known as the Eastern Railroad, which
was consolidated with the Boston & Maine railroad.
There he served as brakeman and baggage master,
and October 31, 1879, was appointed station agent
at Wolfborough, and. discharged the duties of that
position until July i, 1888. In that year he pur-
chased a livery business which he has since con-
ducted. In June, 1898, he bought the old Belvue
House at Wolfborough, which he renamed the
Lake Shore. He carried on that hostelry until
June, 1899, when he bought the Wolfborough House
which he christened "Hobbs is Inn." This is a
commodious hotel, accommodating one hundred
guests, up-to-date in its furnishings and equipment,
charming in its situation and commanding a beauti-
ful and comprehensive view of Lake Winnepesaukee
and the surrounding mountains. July 4, 1888, Mr.
Hobbs was appointed mail agent on the route be-
tween Boston and North Conwaj^ but declined to
serve. He was appointed deputy sheriflf of Carroll
county in 1887, and served twelve years. He was
postmaster of Wolfborough from January 31, 1894,
until February 3, 1898, during which time the in-
crease of the business of the office caused the salary
of the postmaster to be raised from twelve hundred
dollars to seventeen hundred dollars a year. In
1898 Mr. Hobbs was a candidate for sheriff of
Carroll county, to which office he was elected in
November of that year, and he was the only Demo-
crat sheriff in New Hampshire who was then
elected, and was also the only Democrat elected in
Carroll county. For more than twenty years he has
been a member of the Democratic state committee.
Besides discharging the manifold duties of the
callings enumerated, in which he has been a faith-
ful worker, he has done considerable business as
an aifctioneer and real estate dealer. He is a
stirring, industrious man, popular and prosperous.
He is a member of the Morning Star Lodge, No. 17,
Free and Accepted Masons ; Fidelity Lodge, No. 71 ;
Kingswood Encampment, No. 31, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows; and Carroll Lodge, No. 7,
Ancient Order of United Workmen, of Wolf-

He married, December 6, 1S82, Emily S. Evans,
of Wolfboro, who was born February 9, 1856,
daughter of Otis and Shuab (Libby) Evans, of
Wolfboro (see Libby, VII). They have two chil-
dren : Shuab Maria, born November 21, 1886, a
graduate of Brewster Free Academy; and Mary
Evelyn, born September 2, 1892.



(VI) Oliver F., second son and fourth child
of Joseph and Dorothy (Cooley) Hobbs, lives in
Ossipee valley. He married Deborah Jenness,
daughter of Joseph and (Weeks) Jen-
ness. They have children : Frank K., Orodon P.

(VII) Frank K., eldest child of Oliver F. and
Deborah (Jenness) Hobbs, died June 4, 1896. In
early life he was a successful school teacher for
twelve years. In 1859 he was a member of the
firm of F. K. & W. II. Hobbs, merchants, at Ossipee
Valley. September 14, 1864, he enlisted in Com-
pany F, Eighteenth New Hampshire Volunteer In-
fantry, for one year, and was mustered in Sep-
tember 24 as a private. He was appointed ser-
geant JMay I, 1865, and mustered out June 10, 1865.
He saw considerable active service, was present and
participated in the' attack on Fort Stedman, and
was in many skirmishes. At the close of the war
he engaged in mercantile business in Ossipee. In
1871 he was appointed postmaster and filled that
office several years, and was appointed station agent
the same year. He was selectman in 1872-73-74, a
member of the legislature in 1875-76-78-81-85, and
in 1893 was elected to the senate. In politics he was
a Democrat. He was made a Mason in Charter
Oak Lodge, but left that lodge and became a charter
member of Ossipee Valley Lodge, No. 74. He was
a member of Thomas Ambrose Post, Grand Army
of the Republic, and Ossipee Lake Grange, No.
75, Patrons of Husbandry. He married, January
28, 1868, Sarah A. Atwood, who was born in Or-
rington, Maine, August 11, 1842, daughter of Ben-
jamin and Lucy (Baker) Atwood. Two children
were born to them: Herbert W. and Alice Jose-

(VIII) Herbert Willis, only son of Frank K. and
Sarah A. (Atwood) Hobbs, was born in Ossipee,
July 2, 1871, and was educated in the public schools
of Ossipee, the Nute high school of Milton, and the
Brewster Free Academy, completing his studies at
nineteen. He was an enthusiastic athlete, and the
energy and determination which made him first
in athletics among his fellow students made him
a successful business man in a printing establish-
ment at twenty-oi;ie. Subsequently he published the
Rochester Leader. On the death of his father he
took up his father's duties as merchant, postmaster
and station agent, and has discharged them to the
present time with success, besides carrying on his
printing establishment. He is a Democrat, and has
taken a lively interest in politics since a' time pre-

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 64 of 149)