Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 7 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 7 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

selectman for ten years, a member of the legislature
in 1887-88, just ten years after his father, and served
on the school board for six years. He attends the
Methodist Episcopal Church. October 8, 1872, Wil-



liam Riley Brown married Ella, daughter of John
and Caroline (Richardson) Bishop, of Lisbon, New
Hampshire. They have three children : Everett C,
born January 18, 1879, who has sales stables at
Grovelon, New Hampshire ; Loyal P., born March
28, 1881, who is a merchant at Orange, Massachu-
setts ; and Howard B., who is a student at Tilton
Seminary, Tilton, New Hampshire.

(IV) James B., son of Samuel and Judith
(Smith) Brown, was born at Stratford, in 1818. He
was a merchant and lumber dealer in Northumber-
land, where he participated actively in public affairs
as a Democrat, held all of the important town of-
fices and represented his district in the state legisla-
ture. His death occurred in 1882. He married
Ellen Patterson, of Lunenburg, Vermont, who died
in 1881. She was the mother of six children,
namely : Eliza, Cora, Rollin J., Gertrude, Maude
and Mabel. Of these Cora and Rollin J. are the
only survivors.

(V) Rollin James, third child and only son
of James and Ellen (Patterson) Brown, was born
in Northumberland, February 14, 1858. He began
his studies in the public schools, continued them at
the Plymouth (New Hampshire) high school, and
concluded his education at St. Johnsbury (Ver-
mont) Academy. He was associated with his father
in business until the latter's decease, after which he
went to Lancaster and entered the employ of the
TJiompson Manufacturing Company as bookkeeper.
He subsequently became a stockholder in the con-
cern, and in January, 1907, was elected its treasurer.
In politics he acts with the Democratic party, and
from 1888 to the present time has served with ability
as town clerk. He formerly attended the Unitarian
Church, but now worships with the Congregation-
alists. In 1888, Mr. Brown married Helen F.
French, daughter of Elijah French, of Stratford.
They have no children.

(Seventh Family.)

This name has been variously repre-
BROWN sented in New England from the

earliest colonization of the country ;
and in Westminster, Massachusetts, the early seat
of the family of this article, the members were lO
numerous, the branches so various, the records .30
fragmentary and heterogeneous, that it has been
found impossible not only to trace any one family
to its original progenitor, but also to connect the
different families with each other to any great ex-

(I) Nicholas Browne, son of Edward Browne,
of Inkburrow, Worcestershire, England, settled first
at Lynn, Massachusetts, and early removed from
there to Reading, where he appears to have owned
two places. He was a man of comfortable means as
appears from the fact of his sending his son John,
in 1660, to England to look after certain property,
to which he had become heir. He died in 1673. His
wife's name was Elizabeth, and their children were :
John, Edward, Joseph, Cornelius, Josiah and per-
haps Elizabeth.

(IV) Jonathan Brown was no doubt a descend-
ant of Nicholas Browne, and resided in Westmin-
ster. He married Mehitable Hay. Her father,
James Hay, was an original proprietor of No. 2,
drawing in the first division of lands lot No. 106,
near Wachusetville.

(V) Jonathan (2), son of Jonathan (i) and
Mehitable Brown, probably located on the lot No.
106 mentioned above, occupying a house built some
years before by Benjamin Gould. He was first taxed
in 1764, and in 1769 a public school was kept in his
house. January 3, 1771, he purchased of Joseph

Lynde, of Charlestown, lot No. 105, lying directly
south' of the Hay lot, which was long known as the
Brown estate, more recently owned by Asaph Carter
and his son Edward R. On his way from Reading
to Portsmouth, Mr. Brown seems to have sojourned
a while in Leominster, where he married Huldah
Hawkes. He died March 14, 1820, aged eighty
years. She died January i, 1818, aged seventy-hve.
Their children were: Jonathan, Benjamin, Joseph,
died young; Huldah, Sally, Joseph and John.

(VI) Jonathan (3), eldest child of Jonathan

(2) and Huldah (Hawkes) Brown, was born in
Reading, August 20, 1765, and died in Gardner, July
24, 1840, aged seventy-five. He removed to and re-
sided in Gardner on a farm in the east part of that
town, where his grandson Charles (?) lately lived.
He married Beulah Jackson, daughter of Elisha and
Beulah (Taylor) Jackson. She died November 24,
1839. aged sixty-seven. Their children were : Jon-
athan, John, Charles (died young) ; Elisha, Charles,
Sally (died young), Sally, Benjamin B., Lucy and
N ancy.

(VII) Charles, fifth son and child of Jonathan

(3) and and Bertha (Jackson) Brown, was born in
Gardner, Massachusetts, March 12, 1800, and died
in Boston. He settled in Boston, where he was for
many years successfully engaged in the retail gro-
cery business, and took part in the public affairs of
the city. In 1847 he served as alderman. He mar-
ried Susan Morehead. The children born to them
were : Susan, married O. H. Underbill. Mary E.,
married Edward J. Brown. Abbie, married R. G.
Davis. Charles S., mentioned below.

(VIII) Charles Severence, son of Charles
and Susan Morehead Brown was born in Bos-
ton, November 18, 1844, and was educated in the
common schools of that city and at Chauncey Hall.
In 1872 he engaged in the carriage service, to which
he has given his unremitting attention ever since
that time, and now employs a hundred horses and
many vehicles in his business, which has steadily
grown from the beginning. He has a summer home
in New Ipswich, New Hampshire, where he passes
the summer months. In politics he is an inde-
pendent. He married (first), Frances Partridge,
who was born in Boston, daughter of Adrian Part-
ridge. He married (second) Ruth Miller, daughter
of Ephraim Miller, of Temple, and granddaughter
of General James Miller. Two children, Albert Ed-
win and Susan, were born to the first wife; and
one, Philip, to the second.

In the United States there are several
BROWN ancient families bearing this name, and
from among them many men of promi-
nence have arisen. The surname is of the class
called complexion names, and was assumed by its
first bearer from his complexion or the color of his

(I) Samuel Brown was a farmer in Andover,
Vermont. He was one of the principal citizens of
the town, and was selectman, town treasurer several
times, and representative in the state legislature sev-
eral terms, holding office as late as 1808 or there-
about. He had three children : Abraham, Ebenezer
and a daughter. He lived to be nearly ninety years
old, and died about 1830, with his mental faculties

(ID Ebenezer, son of Samuel Brown, was born
in what is now Andover, Vermont, and was a life-
long farmer. He lived in Cornish and West Wind-
sor, then a part of Windsor. About 1825 he re-
moved from there to Windsor Village, where he
remained until about 1840, when, some of his older

■%« iy ^B-Baas Sons V'" ^*

Qj&.%JU^ ^y- (f^-^-uwy^





children having settled in Xew York, he and his
wife went to them and spent their remaining years
in that state. Mr. Brown died in the early hfties,
aged about seventy-three, his wife having preceded
him, dying in 1.846, aged about fifty. Both died and
were buried at Fonda, Brtidalbin, New York. He
married Lucy Walker, a native of Plainheld, New
Hampshire, daughter of Nathan and Abigail (Ames)
Walker, and they had eight children : Selinda, Ada-
line, Lorenzo E., Madison, Horace Ames, Persis,
Luman and Stillman.

(HI) Horace Ames, third son and fifth child
of Ebenezer and Lucy (Walker) Brown, was born
in Cornish, New Hampshire, October 3, 1823. He
received very little education in the pubUc schools
which he attended but a brief time, but by constant
study and attention to the defects in his early school-
ing he afterward largely compensated for what he
was then unable to obtain, his life occupation having
constantly furnished to him opportunities for edu-
cation that no other trade could have done. Janu-
ary 18, 1837, he became an apprentice to the printer's
trade in the office of the Democrat-Statesman, at
Windsor, Vermont.- After a year and a half of
service there he went to Qaremont, New Hamp-
shire, and worked on the National Eagle, four years,
of which time he was two ' years a journeyman.
From that employment he went to the Claremont
Manufacturing Company, a concern of importance
at that time, which manufactured paper, and printed
and bound books, taking large contracts for work
of this kind from individuals and firms in New
Y'ork city and elsewhere. Here he worked inter-
mittently from 1844 to 1847, and completely mas-
tered the details of the business. In company with
the late Joseph Webber he published for a time the
Northern Intelligencer at Claremont. With the sus-
pension of this publication he returned for a brief
period to the Naticnal Eagle, and in 1852 proceeded
to Concord. There he entered the employ of Mc-
Farland and Jenks, proprietors of the New Hamp-
shire Statesman. This firm afterward sold out to
the Republican Press Association, which later be-
came the Rumford Press Company. From 1852
until March 1878, he was pressman and foreman of
the pressroom, doing as opportunity afforded, more
or less composition. From 1878 to 1882 he
devoted his time to municipal affairs. Re-
turning to his old employment at the latter date
he took charge of the stone work or preparation of
the forms for press, for fifteen years, and for six
years more was employed on composition. January 18,
1907, he completed seventy years as a printer, and
established what is believed to be a record for New
England. He was a thorough master of the art in
every branch, and the men employed in the office
ever found him a stanch friend and a wise coun-
sellor. On the occasion of his having in 1887 com-
pleted fifty years of service as a compositor his type-
mate's in Concord presented him with an elegant
gold watch and chain inscribed : "1837-1887. From
Black Art Friends to Horace A. Brown."

Mr. Brown's political affiliations were first with
the Whig party, and he cast his first vote for Henry
Clay in 1844. In 1856 he cast his ballot for John C.
Fremont, the first Republican candidate for the
presidency, and has ever since been a Republican.
Mr. Brown was made assessor in Concord in 1866,
and served that and the following year. Subse-
quently he was alderman, and also filled the office of
highway commissioner. He was elected to the legis-
lature from ward 4, in 1875-76, and elected mayor of
Concord, and served from March 18, 1878, to No-
vember, 1880. By a change in the law governing

this office his last term covered a period of twenty
months instead of one year as under the old law.

Air. Brown was an industrious worker, an ex-
emplary citizen, and a leading layman in church cir-
cles, and prominent in the choir of his church.
While at Claremont, Mr. and J\lrs. Brown joined the
Episcopal Church by baptism. In 1857 he was
elected secretary of the Episcopal diocese of New
Hampshire, and filled that pla.ce from that time until
his death, a period of fifty years, by successive an-
nual reelections. In 1863 he was made junior warden
and in 1865 became senior warden of St. Paul's
Church, and filled the latter office at the time of his
death. Fie was elected a member of the standing
committee of the Episcopal diocese of New Hamp-
shire in 1861, and was secretary of the same from
1897, to his death. He was a lay reader in the
diocese since 1857. While in Claremont (1852) he
became a member of the church choir, and on his
removal to Concord took a place in the choir of his
church at that place, which he held at his death,
making a continuous service of fifty-five years in
that office. When seventy-eight years of age he
was elected a delegate to the triennial convention of
the church in the United States, and enjoyed equally
with much younger men the trip to San Francisco
and return as well as the great church gathering. In
1884 he delivered the historical address at the
twenty-fifth anniversary of building the St. Paul's

He was also a prominent man in the fraternal
secret societies. November 25, 1845, he joined Sulli-
van Lodge, No. 12, Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, of Claremont, of which he was soon after
noble grand. In 1851 he was representative to the
Grand Lodge, which held its sitting at Concord that
year. From 186S to his death he was a member of
Rumford Lodge, No. 46, of Concord. In 1880 he be-
came a member of Penacook Encampment, No. 3,
of which he was a past chief patriarch. In 1883 he
v\'as elected grand master of the Grand Lodge of
New Hampshire, and served one year, and in 1886
was sent as representative to the Sovereign Grand
Lodge. He was a Mason in Blazing Star Lodge,
No. II, of Concord, in 1867, and was worshipful
master of that body four years — 1871-2-3-4. He
subsequently was department grand master, and be-
came a member of Trinity Royal Arch Chapter, No.
2, of which he was later high priest, and still later
grand high priest of the order in the state. He
was made a member of Horace Chase Council, No.
4, Royal and Select Masters, and became a member
of Alount Horeb Commandery. Knights Templar.
Of this organization he was prelate from 1884 until
his death. In 1889 he delivered the historical ad-
dress at the celebration of the one hundredth anni-
versary of Blazing Star Lodge, Ancient Free and
Accepted Masons.

Horace A. Brown married in Claremont, May 29,
1845, Sarah S. Booth, born in Claremont, New
Hampshire, February 8, 1825, daughter of Colonel
Hcsea and Nancy (Downs) Booth. Jabez Downs,
maternal grandfather of Sarah S. Booth, was bot-n
in Connecticut, and served in the war of the Revolu-
tion. He died at Claremont, New Hampshire, from
a wound received while serving in that war. His
1>cdy was removed from Claremont to Concord by
H. A. Brown, and now lies in Blossom Hill ceme-
tery. Hosea Booth was born in Lempster, New
Hampshire, and his wife was born in Windsor, Ver-
mont. Colonel Hosea Booth was an officer in the
American Revolution. The children of Horace A.
and Sarah S. (Booth) Brown were: Edwin O., who
died young, and Frank Eugene, whose sketch fol-



lows. Horace A. Brown died at the Margaret Pills-
bury Hospital, after a long illness, October 31, 1907.
(IV) Frank Eugene, son of Horace A. and
Sarah S. (Booth) Brown, was born in Claremont,
July 15, 1850, and was taken by his parents to Con-
cord two years later. He completed the course in
the public schools of Concord, and graduated from
the high school in 1868. In August of the same
year he entered the employ of the Concord Railroad
Company at Concord, as superintendent's clerk. He
held lliat position and other clerkships until March
I, 1883, when he was appointed general ticket agent
for the Concord Railroad Company, with oflfice at
Concord. Upon the consolidation of the Concord &
Boston, and Concord & Montreal Railroad com-
panies, he was appointed general passenger and
ticket agent of the Concord & Montreal railroad,
and upon the leasing of the road of that corporation
to the Boston & Alaine Railroad Company, he was
appointed assistant general passenger and ticket
agent vvith office at Concord. He was been clerk of
the IMount Washington Railroad corporation many
years and now holds that position. He is also a director
aiid general passenger agent of that corporation.
Frank E. Brown has now (1906) lived in Concord
hfty- four years; for thirty-eight years of that time
he has been continuously in the service of one rail-
way company and its successors. He is one of the
oldest railway officers, in point of service, in New
Hampshire, and one of the most efficient and most
favorably known men of that class in New England.
His cheerful and tactful manner and prompt and
expeditious disposition of railway business have
made him friends from ocean to ocean, and from
the Gulf of Mexico to the frozen north. He is a
man of pleasing personality, a true and steadfast
friend, and a good neighbor. He is a Republican
and has indulged in politics to a small degree, and
has been a representative in the state legislature, but
has not sought further official positions. Born of
Episcopalian parentage he was baptized and brought
up in that faith. P"or many years he was organist
of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, and organized and
directed the first vested choir in that church in Con-
cord. He is at present organist and choir director
in the First Baptist Church. He has a talent for
musical composition, and has written several anthems
and songs. He is a member of Blazing Star Lodge,
]'"rce and Accepted Masons of Concord.

He married (first) Evelyn Hazeltine, daughter
of James H. Hazeltine, of Concord. She died in
1888. He married (second), Annie Baker Dietrich,
daughter of John and Ann (Baker) Dietrich. She
is a lady of superior musical talent, sings in the
choir of the Congregational Church, and is one of
the best known lady vocalists in the state. Two
sons were born to the first wife: Frank W. and
Charles Walker. Frank W. is a civil engineer in
the office of the state engineer at Concord. He

married, 1898, Bessie Farwell, daughter of

Farwell, of Montpelier, Vermont. Charles W. is a
clerk in his father's ofiice.

This family is not connected with other
BROWN families of the name which have

previously been written about. The
Browns are so numerous that no one has ever un-
dertaken to make a genealogy of the family; hence
it has been impossible to trace this line further than
four generations.

(I) Aaron Brown was born in Marlow, New
Hampshire. It is said that his father was a general
in the Revolutionary army, and commanded New
Hampshire troops at Bunker Hill. The only Browns

in New Hampshire regiments recorded on the rolls
as participating in this battle as officers are James
Brown, first lieutenant, f~ourth Company, Third Reg-
iment, commanded by Colonel James Reid, and Jo-
siah Brown, first lieutenant, Sixth Company, Third
Regiment. There is nothmg to show which of these
Browns, if either, was the father of Aaron. In
early life Aaron Brown removed to Acworth, New
Hampshire, where he lived for a short time. Later
he went to Putney, Vermont, remaining for two or
three years, and finally moved to Syracuse, New
York, where he lived until his death. He was a
carpenter by trade. Aaron Brown married Polly,
eldest child of Isaac and Mary (Wheelock) uates,
of Acworth, New irlampslnre. Her father settled
in that town in 1781. Aaron and Polly (Gates)
Brown had three children: Aaron (2), whose
sketch follows : Polly, who married Alden Gee, of
Marlow, New Hampshire; Isaac, who married
(first) Mary Newton, and (second) Sarah A. Bliss.

(II) Aaron (2), eldest child of Aaron (i) and
Polly (Gates) Brown, was born at Alstead, New
Hampshire, March 4, 1795. He attended the schools
in Acworth and Lempster, New Hampshire. He
was a farmer and lived in Acworth till late in life,
when he removed to Alstead, New Hampshire,
where he died. He was a Democrat in politics, and
attended the Universalist Church. He married Eady,
daughter of John and Polly (Cockle) Watts, of
Hollis, New Hampshire. They had ten children : Eady
Diana, married (first) Captain George Lewis, of
Marlow, and (second) Orlando Newton, of Clare-
mont. Mary Urana, married Amos Fletcher, of
Hollis. Isaac married Frances L. Bundy, now
living in Fowler. Samuel, died young. Martha
Melissa, married Samuel Savory, of Newbury, New
Hampshire. John Cockle, whose sketch follows.
George R., studied at Tufts College ; read law with
Edmund Burke, at Newport, New Hampshire. Maria
L., married Moses Moulton, of Manchester, New
Hampshire. James H. married Mary Ellen
Whittemore, and lives at Hillsboro Bridge,
New Hampshire. Emily A., died young.
Aaron (2) Brown died at Alstead, New Hamp-
shire, January, 1884. His wife died in 1874.

(III) John Cockle, third son and sixth child of
Aaron (2) and Eady (Watts) Brown, was born at
Acworth, New Hampshire, June 10, 1831. He was
named after his maternal great-grandfather, John
Cockle, who at the age of sixteen was taken by a
press gang from a ball-room in England, and im-
pressed into the British army. He was in the first
regiment sent to Boston at the outbreak of the
Revolution, and deserted to the Continental army.
He served through the war and went east at its
close. John Cockle Brown attended the public
schools of Acworth and Alstead. In 1852 he went
to Sheffield, Ohio, where he remained a year, en-
gaged in farming. He came back to New Hamp-
shire, but in 1855 he went to Ohio again, remaining
till 1857. This time he, with two partners, built a
"fore and aft" boat, and freighted timber to Buf-
falo and other points whence it was shipped by the
Erie canal to New York City. The panic of 1857
caused a suspension of this business, and Mr. Brown
was obliged to return home. He farmed in Lang-
don, New Hampshire, for about four years, and then
came to Walpole, where in company with George H.
Holden he conducted a meat market for about two
years. He then bought a farm in that town and
returned to agriculture. Mr. Brown owns about one
hundred and thirty acres of land, and has made a
specialty of raising cattle. Merino and Southdown
sheep and Morgan and other thoroughbred horses.



He is a Democrat in politics, and represented his
town in the legishiture in 1876 and 1877, and for a
third time in 1889. He has been selectman, super-
visor, road agent, and has served on the school com-
mittee for three years. He attends the Unitarian

He married, February 28, 1862, Jeannette, daugh-
ter of Levi Snow (2), of Wilmington, Vermont.
She was born in Wilmington, February 22, 1839.
They had five children : Annette, born December 6,
1862, married Erwin S. Bowman, and lives in Bos-
ton. Orr W., born June i, 1867, died Jiebruary 14,
1904. Ashton Burton, February 18, 1873, lives at
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, and is in the grocery
business. F'lorence Maud, May 3, 1876, lives at
home. Harry Brigham, lives at Jamaica Plain, and
is in business with his brother, Ashton B.

The family of Browns of which this
BROWN article treats is descended from early

residents of Dunbarton, who settled
in the wilderness of what is now Hillsborough
county, before the Revolution. The imperfect man-
ner in which the early records were kept precludes
the possibility of tracing the family to the immi-
grant ancestor.

(I) Barton B., son of Barton Brown, a native
of England, was born in Concord, New Hampshire,
1810, and died in Dunbarton, 1865, aged fifty-five
years. His mother died when he was a child, and
he was adopted by a family by the name of Wallace,
of Concord, with whom he lived until twenty-one ,
years of age. He was educated in the public schools,
and brought up as a farmer, which line of work
he followed throughout his active career. In poli-
tics he was a Democrat, and in religious faith a
Baptist. He married Susan P. Goodwin, born July
17, 1816, daughter of Alpheus and Ann (Ham-
mond) Goodwin. She is living at the present time
(1907), aged ninety-two years. Her mind is clear
and her memory retentive, and she tells of the
incidents of the reception of La Fayette at Hopkin-
ton. New Hampshire, in 1823. as if they were the
happenings of yesterday. She was a Methodist in
early life, but is now a member of the Baptist
Church. The children born to Barton B. and Susan
P. (Goodwin) Brown were: Wilbor, who was one
of Berdan's sharpshooters ; he died in Anderson-
ville prison. Eldridge C, resides in Dunbarton,
New Hampshire. Annie S., deceased. Susan F.,
deceased. Alpheus, deceased. Parker Richardson,
see forward.

(H) Parker Richardson, sixth child and fourth
son of Barton B. and Susan P. (Goodwin) Brown,
was born in Dunbarton, May 25, 1855. He was edu-
cated in the public schools of Dunbarton, Weare
and Grafton, and Pembroke and Canaan academies.
He was reared on his father's farm, and at the
age of fifteen engaged in the grain business as a
clerk for E. P. Prescott & Company, at Concord,
continuing until 1880. He then went to Manches-
ter and was a clerk for J. S. Kidder & Company,
later with C. R. Merrill, and subsequently this be-
came the firm of Freeman & Merrill. Later the firm
dissolved, after which H. H. Freeman formed a

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 7 of 149)