Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 70 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 70 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

in Concord. He was a Whig and later a Republican,
and was selectman in 1822-23. He bought the
machinery for a clock for sixty dollars, which he
paid for in wood delivered in Concord at one dollar
a cord, cut in sled or eight-foot lengths, which he

hauled on a wooden shod sled. Farnum, his

brother, made the case of the clock, which is still
doing faithful service in the family. A pitch-pipe
used by Isaac Farnum in connection with church
singing is in possession of his grandson. Isaac
Farnum attended the North Church, of which his
wife was a member. He married, January 11, 1803,
Hannah Martin, whose parents resided by Long
Pond. Of this union there were nine children : Es-
ther, married Joseph. S. Abbot; Hannah, married
Captain Bradbury Gill, and lived iii Concord (sc
Gill, VI) ; Almira, married Joseph Eastman, anu
lived in West Concord ; David, lived in West Con-
cord; Henry, resided on the old farm; Lucretia,
married George W. Brown and resided in West
Concord ; Phebe M., married William C. Webster
and resided in Boscawen ; Lucy D., married Andrew
Jackson, a resident of Concord; Isaac, died young.

(VI) Simeon, fourth son and fifth child of
Stephen (i") and Martha (Hall) Farnum, was born
January 14, 1782, in Concord, and resided in his



native town. He married (first), Mary Smith of
Hopkinton, who bore him three children, namely:
Josiah S., Moody (died young) and Mary. After
her death, Mr. Farnum married her sister, Clarissa,
who was the mother of : Simeon and Clarissa
(twins), Moody S., Aaron Q. and Martha A.

(VII) Mary, eldest daughter and third child of
Simeon and Mary (Smith) Farnum, was born June
25, 1814, and became the wife of Simeon Abbott in
1837 (see Abbott, VI).

(VII) Martha A., youngest child of Simeon and
Clarissa (Smith) Farnum, was born April 8, 1853,
and became the wife of George W. Page of Dun-
barton. (See Page, VIII).

(V) Abner, fourth son and fifth child of Joseph
and Zerviah (Hoyt) Farnum, married (first), Re-
becca Merrill and (second), Sally Elliott. The chil-
dren of the first marriage were: Thomas, John (died
young) and Moses. The children of the second mar-
riage were : John, Abner, Jacob, Joseph, Jedediah,
Rebecca, Nathan, James, Betsey and Isaac.

(VI) Abner (2), fifth son of Abner Farnum and
second child of his second wife, Sarah Elliott, mar-
ried Mary Martin, and had the following children :
Judith, Hiram, Caroline, Daniel, Sarah J. and Abner

(VII) Abner Doddridge, youngest child of Abner -
(2) and Mary (Martin) Farnum, married Margaret
Crosby and had only one child, namely, Abner Dodd-

(VIII) Abner Doddridge (2), son of Abner
Doddridge (i) and Margaret (Crosby) Farnum, was
born 1828, in West Concord, where his father was a
farmer. He was educated in the public schools of
West Concord, and as a young man went to Bos-
ton, where he engaged in business. In 18 — he went
to Billerica, Massachusetts, and was there success-
fully engaged in the milk business. He was subse-
quently engaged in the lumber business, and was em-
ployed as a carpenter in the ship-yards for many
years. He next invested in a steam saw-mill. He
located at Mast Yard, New Hampshire, being the
first one of the kind in the state. Having lost most
of his possessions by fire, he removed to Warner
and there engaged in the lumber business. He pur-
chased a farm, on which his son and namesake now
lives, and engaged in general farming and was an ex-
tensive stockraiser. He still lives on the same farm in
Warner. He is an attendant of the Baptist Church,
and has always been a Democrat in politics. He
was married to Margaret T. Crosbv, daughter of
Michael C. Bell. She died March, 1887, in Warner.
They were the parents of nine children, four of
whom are now deceased. Charles, the oldest of those
living, is engaged in the milk business in Boston.
Alice, the second, is the wife of W. H. Woodward,
of Somerville, Massachusetts. Margaret married
George Pattee, proprietor of the Yarmouth House,
Nova Scotia. Florence May is now a teacher in
Mont Clair, New Jersey. Abner Doddridge is the
subject of the next paragraph.

(IX) Abner Doddridge (3), second son of Abner
Doddridge (2). and Margaret T. (Crosby) Farnum,
was born April 16, 1868, in West Concord, and com-
pleted his education in the high school of that town.
He began his business career in the wholesale house
of Dickerman & Company, in Concord, where he
continued for three years. He was subsequently
■employed for one year by the Boston & Maine rail-
road as a carpenter. On account of the advancing
years of his father it became his duty to care for the
homestead in Warner, where he is now conducting
a successful general farming and lumbering business.
He is a Democrat in politics, but has but little to do

with public affairs. As the duty of a good citizen
he has performed service as road agent of the town
of Warner. He is a member of Warner Grange,
and attends the Baptist Church. He was married
March 31, 1896, to Annie M. Corrigan, daughter of
John Corrigan, of Lyndonville, Vermont. She is
active in church and benevolent work, and is the
willing and competent helpmate of her husband.
They are the parents of four children : Harold,
Gertrude M., Franklin S. and Abner Doddridge.

This line of Gleason, Gleison, Glezen,
GLEASON Gleeson or (as it was sometimes writ-
ten and pronounced) Leesen, descends
from the first of the name in New England. The
family has been active in religious and military
aft'airs, in professional life, and all lines of industry.

(I) Thomas Gleason, the immigrant, early took
the oath of fidehty at Watertown, Massachusetts, and
is named, 1657, on the town records of Cambridge.
He was of Charlestown, March, 1666, in the occu-
pation of the "tract of land reserved to Squa
Sachem." In 1663 he leased a farm of Captain
Scarlett. He died in Cambridge, probably about
1684. By his wife Susanna he had children : Thomas,
Joseph, John, Mary, Isaac and William.

(II) Thomas (2), oldest child of Thomas (i)
and Susanna Gleason, settled in Sudbury as early
as 1665, on the east side of Cochituate pond. On
September 29, 1673, he bought by exchange one-half
of the Benjamin Rice farm lying between Beaver
Dam brook and Gleason's pond in Framingham,
Massachusetts, and in 1678 he built near the said
pond which took its name from him. He became an
inhabitant of Sherborn, October 5, 1678, and died
July 25, 1705, his wife Sarah having died July 8,
1703. Their children were : Sarah, Anna, Thomas,
Isaac, Patience, Mary and John.

(HI) Isaac, fourth child and second son of
Thomas (2) and Sarah Gleason, lived in Framing-
ham. On February 18, 1725, he bought eighty acres
of land of Jonathan Lamb, where his sons Isaac and
Phinehas afterward lived. In 1726 he sold his old
place to Daniel How, and opened a tavern. He was
one of the petitioners of June 11, 171 1, for permission
to buy land of the Indians. He was the head of one
of the seventeen families set off from Sherborn to
Framingham in the boundary controversy settled in
1710. In 1713 he was chosen to have the care of the
meeting house, and was voted 19s for such services.
He died December 5, 1737. He married, December
II, 1700, Deborah Leland, who was born August 16,
1687, daughter of Ebenezer Leland, of Sherborn.
Their children were : Deborah, Isaac, Prudence and

(IV) Isaac (2), second child of Isaac (i) and
Deborah (Leland) Gleason, was born in Sherborn,
May 17, 1706. He lived in Framingham, and is
probably the Sergeant Isaac Gleason who was in
Captain Ebenezer Newell's company on the Crown
Point expedition ; in service from March 27 to June
2, 1756, and again in Captain Nixon's company in the
expedition of 1758 against Ticonderoga. He moved
to Petersham, and died there in 1777. He married,
December 19, 1725, Thankful, daughter of Nathaniel
and Elizabeth (Osland) Wilson, of Newton, Massa-
chusetts. She died in Westmoreland, New Hamp-
shire, December j, 1800, aged ninety-four. They
had : Isaac, Eli7rfbeth, Deborah, Simeon, Thankful,
James. Joseph, Nathaniel, Benjamin and Fortunatus.

(V) Isaac (j), eldest child of Isaac (2) and
Thankful (Wilson) Gleason, was born in Framing-
ham, Massachusetts, August 3, 1726, and lived in
several towns in Massachusetts, where his children



were born. He finally settled in that part of No 4
(Uiariestown) which is now the town of Langdon
and there died. He married, November 2, 17-J
Mary Nixon, who was born December 24 17^-2'
daughter of Christopher and Mary (Seaver) Nixon
llie widow married second, a Sartwell. The chil-
dren of Isaac and Mary were: Lucia, Dolly, Eliza-
beth, Ehab, Winsor, Betsey and Thaddeus.

(VI) Winsor, fifth child and second son of Isaac
(3) and Mary (Nixon) Gleason, was born February
18, 1762, and died August 8, 1816. He was a farmer
in Langdon. He married, January 21, 1787, Sally
Gleason, who was born April 7, 1767, and died Feb-
ruary 18, 1801, daughter of Isaac and Sally (Curtis)
Gleason, of Petersham, Massachusetts. He married
(second), July 13, 1803, Martha Follett, who was
born August i, 1776, and died February 28, 1858,
aged eighty-two. His children were : Miranda, Sally,
Polly, Curtis, Salmon, Winsor, Laura, Joseph Win-
sor, Huzziel, Horace, Elizabeth and Salmon— nine
by the first wife and three by the second.

(VII) Rev. Salmon, youngest child of Winsor
and Martha (Follett) Gleason, was born in Langdon,
July 9, 1804, and died September 9, 1889, aged eighty-
five. He probably acquired his education at Wind-
sor, Vermont. He was ordained deacon at Barre,
Vermont, by Bishop Elijah Hadding. June 17, iS^o;
elder at Lyndon, Vermont, by Bishop Roberts,
August 12, 1832. The New Hampshire conference
accepted him as elder July 8, 1839. In 1847 he
went to Warren from Plymouth, where he was
pastor of the Methodist Church for two years. After-
ward he moved to East Warren, where he bought
a saw mill which he operated until 1858. Subse-
quently he farmed a short time, and then lived for six-
teen years near Mankato, Minnesota. At the end of
that time he returned to Warren, and resided there
till the time of his death. He was an Abolitionist in
the days of the anti-slavery agitation, and a Re-
publican from the formation of the party. He mar-
ried, December 24, 1828, Jerusha Willard, who was
born in Hartland, Vermont, July 20, 1803, and died
in Warren, January 9, 1876, daughter of Charles
and Hannah Willard, of Hartland, Vermont. The
children of this union were: William, Salmon W.,
George L., Orange S. and Horace W.

(VIII) Orange Scott, fourth son and child of
Rev. Salmon and Jerusha (Willard) Gleason,. was
born at West Plymouth, July 8, 1835. In early life
he was in the employ of H. W. Wicks, saw mill oper-
ator, and afterward with Mead, Mason & Company,
in the same business. In 1887 he began farming in
Warren, and has since followed that calling. In
politics he is a staunch Republican, and has been
overseer of the poor and member of the town build-
ing committee. He married, December 7, 1858, Ruth
Clifford, who was born Februarv 27, 1832, daughter
of Russell and Sarah (Fitts) Clifford. Their chil-
dren were: Jennie M., died young; Fred C. and
Willard Fitts, died young.

(IX) Fred Clifford, second child of Orange
Scott and Ruth (Clifford) Gleason, was born in
Warren, February 28, 1866, and acquired his edu-
cation in the common schools of Warren, and at
Haverhill Academy. He taught school, clerked for
E. B. Eaton & Son five years, and in 1890 engaged
in general merchandising, which he has since carried
on profitably. He is a strong Republican, and has
been postmaster since his appointment in 1897. He
has been town treasurer, treasurer of the school
board, treasurer of the trustees of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and secretary of the Republican
town committee. He organized the Baker River
Telephone Company, and is its president and gen-

eral manager. He is prominent in Masonry and
other fraternal secret societies. He is a member
of Moosehillock Lodge, No. 63, Ancient Free and
Accepted Masons ; Pemigewasset Royal Arch Chap-
ter; Omega Council^ Royal and Select Masters; St.
Gerard Commandery, Knights Templar; Edward A.
Raymond Consistory, Thirty-second degree, Scottish
Rite Masons ; and Bektash Temple, Ancient Arabic
Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. lie is also a
member of Waternomie Lodge, Knights of Pythias,
of which he is a past chancellor.

He married, September i, 1892, Etta L. Prescott,
who was born October 9, 1865, daughter of Rev.
L. W. and Julia (French) Prescott, of Warren.
They have one child, Kenneth Prescott, born July
19, 1900.

The members of the Gleason family
GLEASON who are now scattered over the

United States are descendants of
an ancestor whose religious principles brought him
to this land ; and who for conscience sake left his
country and his home and "sought a faith's pure
shrine" upon our then bleak and inhospitable shores.

(I) Job Gleason, born 1711, was probably of
Scotch extraction and a native of the North of Ire-
land. He settled early in the eighteenth century
near what is now Highgate, Vermont, where he
died July 28, 1796, aged eighty-five. By his wife
Hannah he had one son, the subject of the next

(II) Isaac, son of Job and Hannah Gleason,
was born in Vermont, 1776, and removed to the
Province of Quebec, Canada, where he married
Eunice Loveland, who was born in 1781. He died
in 185^1, aged seventy-eight. His wife died Decem-
ber 22, 1858, aged seventy-seven. They had two
sons, Isaac and H-iram.

(HI) Hiram, son of Isaac and Eunice (Love-
land Gleason, was born in Dunham. Providence of
Quebec, in November, 1800, and after his marriage
moved to Brome, Province of Quebec, and settled
there. He was a farmer for years, and then re-
moved to 'Cowansville, Province of Quebec, where
he had a considerable store, and was a man of in-
fluence in social and political circles; was mayor
of the town, and held other offices. In religious
faith he was a Congregationalist. He died in 1878,
aged seventy-eight years. He married in Durham,
January 15, 1827, Lucinda Wightman, who was born
August 18, 1808, and died in 1882, aged seventy-four
years. Their eight children were : Hiram Elhanan,
Mary Jane, Emil}^, Roscoe, Isabel, Albert, Ellen
and Caroline.

(IV) Hiram Elhanan, eldest child of Hiram and
Lucinda (Wightman) Gleason, was born at Brome,
May 24, 1852, and died September 7, 1881. At the
age of nineteen he removed with his father to Co_w-
ansville. There he was in business at first with
his father but soon withdrew and engaged in busi-
ness for himself. He was a shrewd business man,
and often saw opportunities for making a profit
in other business than that in which he was en-
gaged, and by improving his opportunities he made
many profitable ventures. When the lurnber about
him commenced to command a good price he be-
gan to deal in it, and thus made large profits. He
was a leading citizen in Cowansville, and was post-
master for years, holding that ofllice at the time of
his death. In the "Fenian raid" into Canada in
1869. Mr. Gleason was one of the two hundred vol-
unteer defenders of Misisquoi county, called the
"Home Guard," who participated in the battle of
Eccles Hill, where the Fenians were repulsed and



dispersed. In religion he was a Congregationalist.
He married, April 25, 1865, at Cowansville, Prov-
ince of Quebec, Mary Victoria Stinehour, who was
born in Stanbridge, June 10, 1843, and who still
makes her home in Cowansville. Their children
were: John H., Homer, Edward, Forest, Park-
man and Mary.

Mary Victoria Stinehour descends from German
ancestry as follows :

(I) Herr Von Christian Wehr, eldest son and
heir to the estate and title of his father, Baron
Christian Wehr Von Stein, Neukirk, Germany,
quarrelled with his father over a girl his father
wished him to marry, and left the fatherland and
came to America, settling in Albany, New York.
He was finely educated, and the master of five
languages. In 1770 he made a voyage to Germany,
returning the next year. From that time on he
lived as a gentleman in Albany until 1777, when
his political tenets got him in trouble. Being a
"United Empire Loyalist," he was compelled to
leave the United States, and went to Canada,
where he ever afterward lived, and was made a
lieutenant of the royal forces stationed at Canada,
October 5, 1783. Shortly after this Lieutenant
Wehr, Conrad Best and others petitioned His Ex-
cellency Frederick Holdemand, then governor and
commander-in-chief in and over the Province of
Quebec and territories, for a tract of land east of
Misisquoi Bay. This having been granted to others,
these petitioners received in 1785 a grant of the
greater parts of the counties of Huntington, Misis-
quoi. Shefford, and Compton, and a township in
Sutton. He resided on this grant until well ad-
vanced in years, and afterward lived with his son
Christian. He cut a great amount of timber from
his forest grant and rafted logs down the St. Law-
rence to market. On one occasion two large rafts
were broken up by the storms of Lake St. Peter,
and all the logs were lost. Christian Wehr was
the first promoter of the first church in the pioneer
days of Misisquoi county, and before it was built
Lutheran meetings were held at his house.

(II) Christian (2) Wehr, son of Lieutenant
Christian Wehr^ was a man of wealth and political
influence, and was a colonel in the British military
service. Pie married Katherine, daughter of Con-
rad Best, who, like the Wehrs, was a United Empire
Loyalist and a German gentleman. They lived at
St. Armand, Province of Quebec. Seven children
were born of this marriage, two sons and five
daughters, none of whom died under eighty years
of age. One of the daughters. Charlotte Augustus
Matilda, was born February 27, 1805, and died at
Cowansville, November 26, 1896, aged ninety-two
years and nine months. She married John Stine-
hour, whose sketch appears below.

(I) George Stinehour was a German gentleman
wno cc*"*'led in Albany, New York, in 1790. He af-
terward removed ic Highgate, Vermont, and thence
to Standbridge, Province ^f Quebec. He was a
man of good standing in the corn.T'.unity. and thor-
oughly imbued with the united empire loyalist prin-
ciples. He married in liighgate, Vermont, Charity
Holenbeck, who died in Highgate, December 5, 1829,
in the seventy-second years of her age. lie died
in Standbridge, Fel)ruary 26, 1844, aged eighty-eight
years and ten months. They were tjie parents of
sixteen children.

(II) John, sixth son of George and Charity
(Holenbeck) Stinehour, born in liighgate, Ver-
mont, April 21, 1800, and died May 5, 1865, aged
sixty-five, at Cowansville, where he was engaged in
agricultural pursuits. He was married in St. Ar-

mand, October 17, 1826, by the Rev. James Reed^
to Charlotte Augusta Matilda Wehr, and they were
the parents of seven children : Harriet Attwood,.
John Parkman, Charlotte Augusta, Elizabeth, Ger-
trude, Mary Victoria. Caroline and Jane Adams.

(V) Dr. John Hiram Gleason, eldest child
of Hiram E. and Mary Victoria (Stinehour)
Gleason, was born in Cowansville, September 20,,
1869. He attended the common schools, and later
graduated from the Cowansville Academy at six-
teen years of age The following year he went to
Montreal and matriculated at McGill University,
and took a course in chemistry, graduating as .a
chemist in 1891. He then entered McGill Aledical
College, and in 1895, after a four year course,,
graduated with honors as M. D., C. M. After
graduation he took a post-graduate course at the
Post Graduate College in New York City. In June,,
1896, he settled in Manchester, New Hampshire,
where he has since resided, and now has a large
practice, there being among his patients many of
the best people of the city. S'oon after going to-
Manchester he became connected with the out-
patient department of the Sacred Heart Hospital,
and also with the out-patient department of the
Emergency Ward of the Elliot Hospital. He per-
formed the duties of these offices until 1898, when
he was appointed surgeon to the Elliot Hospital.
In 1903 he took a similar position on the stafl of
the Notre Dame Hospital and still holds the last
named place. Dr. Gleason devotes special attention
to surgery, and each year spends two months in
medical centers in order to obtain the latest and
best ideas relative to the practice of his profession.
His skill, manner and conduct as a medical prac-.
titioner and a gentleman have made him popular
and successful. For three years he has been med-
ical examiner for the Massachusetts Life Insurance
Company. He is a member of the British Medical
Association, the American Medical Association, the
New Hampshire State Medical Society, the New
Hampshire Surgeons' Club, the Hillsborough
County Medical Association, the Merrimack County
Medical Society, the New Hampshire Society for
the Prevention of Tuberculosis, and the Manchester
Medical Association, of which he is the president.
He is also a member •of various non-medical socie-
ties and clubs, among which are the Manchester
Historical Society, the New England McGill Grad-
uate Society, the Derryfield Club, the Cygnet Boat-
ing Club, the Manchester Country Club, and the
Manchester Driving Club. He attends the Frank-
lin Street Church.

He married, October 17, 1899, Ethel Eastman
Simmons, boi-n in New York City, December 26,
1878, daughter of William L. and Julia (Eastman)
Simmons, of Lexington, Kentucky, and grand-
daughter of the late Colonel Arthur McArthur
Eastman, of Manchester. Soon after the birth of
Mrs. Gleason her mother died, and Mr. Simmons
removed to Kentucky, where he was engaged in
stock raising until his retirement a few years ago.
Mrs. Gleason is an attendant of the Franklin Street
Church, and a member of the Society of Colonial
Dames of America, and of the Manchester Thimble
Club. The children of Dr. and Mrs. Gleason are :
Elizabeth Eastman and John MacArthur.

This name is probably of German origin
VOSE and was formerly spelled Voose. It be-
came Latinized into Voseius and finally
Anglicized into its present form. Two immigrants,
said to have been brothers, came from England at
an early date, one of whom settled in Massachu-





setts and the other in Connecticut. The latter
spelled the name Vorse.

(I) Robert Vosc came from Lancashire in 1638,
and in 1640 purchased a farm in that part of Dor-
chester which was afterward set off as the town
of Milton, where he died in 1683, aged eighty-four
years. His wife, whose christian name was Jane,
died in 1675. Their children were Henry, Edward,
Thomas, Elizabeth and Martha. Of Henry there
is no. further mention. Edward inherited the home-
stead in Dorchester. Thomas will be again referred
to. Elizabeth, born in 1629, married, in 1657,
Thomas Swift, and died in 1675. Martha, married
(first), John Sharp, who was killed in King Phillip's
war in 1676, and she subsequently became Mrs.

(H) Thomas Vose, third child and youngest son
of Robert and Jane Vose, was born in Dorchester
in 1641. He resided near the family homestead,
.and his death occurred in 1708. The maiden name
of his wife does not appear in the record at hand.
He had a son Henry ; Elizabeth, who became Mrs.
Crane ; Jane, who became Mrs. Lyon ;, and Thomas,
born in 1667, were probably his children.

(HI) Henry Vose, son of Thomas Vose, was
born in Dorchester in 1663. For his services in a
campaign against the Narragansett Indians he re-
ceived a grant of land in Bedford. His death oc-
curred in 1752. He married (first), Elizabeth Bab-
cock, and married (second), Jemima Tucker. His
children, all of his first union, were : Waitstill,
Robert, Elizabeth Mary. Martha, Abigail, Joshua,
Hepzibah, Beulah and Thomas.

(IV) Robert Vose, second son of Henry and
Elizabeth • (Babcock) Vose, was born in 1693. He
married Abigail Sumner, and was the father of
Othniel and Waitstill (twins), Robert, Henry, Wil-
liam (died young). Samuel, William, James, Eliza-
t)eth, Abigail, Thomas, Joshua and Benjamin. His
eleventh child, Thomas, who acquired the title of
honorable by his prominence in civic affairs, went
to Robinson, Maine, as manager of the property
of Governor Edward Robbins, and established the
■branch of the Vose family in that state.

(V) Lieutenant James Vose, eighth child of
Robert and Abigail (Sumner) Vose, was born in
1734. About the year 1755 he went to Bedford,

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 70 of 149)