Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 79 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 79 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

late as 1S16. This was a unique and extensive
edifice and had a door through which could be
driven a yoke of oxen and cart. The door was sur-
mounted by a carved figure head, representing the
prow of a ship, while many wood carvings on its
interior added to its adornment. Nathan Lord died
in 1733, and in his will bequeathed to his minister
a gold ring, and he also left twenty pounds for the
purchase of communion plate. His estate was val-
ued at one thousand eight hundred and seventy-six
pounds, two shillings and two pence. He was twice
married, but the name of his first wife does not ap-
pear. She was a daughter of Abraham Conley, who
made Nathan Lord executor of his will and gave to
him the latter's land at Sturgeon's Creek. He was
married (second), November 22. 167S, to Martha
Tozer, daughter of Richard and Judith (Smith)
Tozer. She appears to have been the mother of his
children, namely : Martha, Nathan, William, Rich-
ard, Judith, Samuel, Mary, John, Sarah, Anne and
Abraham. (Mention of Samuel and descendants
appears in this article).

(II) Nathan (2), eldest child of Nathan (i)
and -Martha (Everett) Lord, was born about 1657,
and died in 1733. He was married November 22,
1678, to Martha, daughter of Richard and Judith
(Smith) Tozier. Their children were: Martha,
Nathan, William, Richard, Judith, Samuel, Mary,
John, Sarah, Anne and Abraham.

(III) Abraham, youngest child of Nathan (2)
and Martha (Tozier) Lord, was born October 29,
1699, in Kittery, and continued to reside through
life in that town. His will was dated April 11, 1772,
and was probated April 20, seven years later. He
probably died about the close of the year 1778. He
was married April 10, 1717, to Margaret, daughter
of Nicholas and Abigail (Hodsdon) Gowen. She
was born March 19, 1699, and died February 11,
1775. Their children were: Simeon, Benjamin
Meads, Abraham, Jeremiah, David, Solomon, Elisha,
Margaret and Sarah.

(IV) David, eighth son and child of Abraham
and Margaret (Gowen) Lord, was baptized April
30. 1732, in Kittery, where he made his home
through life. He was married December 6, 1759,
to Phoebe, daughter of Dr. Edmond and Sarah
(Bartlett) Cofiin. She was born March 15, 1735,
in Kittery, and died June 30, 1832. aged ninety-seven
}-ears. She survived her husband about twenty-five
years ; he died in 1807. Their children were : Shuah,
Enoch, Humphrey, Susanna, Margaret, Edmond,
Sarah and Mary.

(V) Mary (Polly), youngest child of David
and Phoebe (Coffin) Lord, was baptized April 8,
1779. and became the wife of Maturin Abbott (see
Abbott. VII).

(II) Captain Samuel, fourth son and sixth
child of Nathan and Martha (Tozer) Lord, was
born June 14, 1689, in what is now Berwick, Maine,
and lived in that town, where he died about 1763.
His will was dated February 23, 1761, and was
ivвАФ 36

proven soon after. He was married October 19,
1 710, to Martha Wentworth, who was born Febru-
ary 9, 1684, daughter of Catherine and Pai>l Went-
Avorth, and granddaughter of Elder William Went-
worth. (See Wentworth, XX). His children were :
John, Nathan, Abraham, Samuel, Ebenezer and

(III) Abraham, third son of Captain Samuel
and Martha (Wentworth) Lord, resided in Ber-
wick, Maine, where he died in 1783. His will was
dated May 12, of that year and proven June 10,
following. He married Betsey Davis, and their
children were : Tozer, Abraham, Daniel, Went-
worth, James and Nathaniel.

(IV) Rev. Wentworth, fourth son of Abraham
and Betsey (Davis) Lord, was born September 14,
1755- in Berwick, Maine, and became a Baptist
clergyman. He was pastor in Ossipee, New Hamp-
shire, and Parsonsfield, Maine. He was a sergeant
of the Colonial forces in the siege of Boston, in
1775. He was married in February, 1777, to
Patience Brackclt, who was born August 6, 1754,
and died February 8, 1841. He survived her four
years, dying February 28, 1845. Their children
were : Noah, Wentworth, Abraham. Hannah, Lydia,
George, Patience, Margaret, Sally and Jemima.

(V) George, fourth son and sixth child of Rev.
Wentworth and Patience (Brackett) Lord, was born
November 22, 1793, and resided in Ossipee, New-
Hampshire, where he died July i, 1863. He w-as a
farmer and also the proprietor of a wool carding
mill at Water Village. He married Patience Tit-
comb. George and Patience (Titcomb) Lord had
Daniel,- who resided in Dunkirk, New York, where
he was in the hardware business. He was killed on
a boat on the Ohio river. Abraham B., a dentist
who practiced many years in Manchester, where he
died in 1864. Also three daughters : Patience and
Margaret, each of whom married a man named
Haines, and Susan, who married a man named
Brown. All these children are dead.

(VI) Calvin L., son of George and Patience
(Titcomb) Lord, was born in Ossipee, 1822, and
died November 9, 1861, aged thirty-nine years.
He lived in Francestown, where for some
years he was second hand in a cotton mill.
About 1855 he engaged in farming for about two
years, and then went into trade and occupied the
Long store until nearly the time of his death. He
married, November 10, 1847, Nancy A. Taylor, of
trancestown, who was born May 17, 1S26, and died
in Francestown, December 17, 1873, aged forty-
seven. She was the daughter of William Taylor,
who was born December 9, 1797. He was an honest
and respected farmer. He first lived in Lyndeboro,
then in Francestown. Late in life he removed to
Troy, where he died November 6, 1876. He mar-
ried, December 30, 1821, Mary L. Balch, of Frances-
town. The children of Calvin and Nancy A. Lord
were : George C, mentioned below, and Ida F., who
was born in Francestown, December 11. 1851, and
married, September 28, 1875, Edward Richardson,
of Lyndeboro. now dead, and she now resides in

(VII) George Calvin*Lord, only son of Calvin
and Nancy A. (Taylor) Lord, was born in Man-
chester, November 30, 1848, and was educated in the
common schools and Academy at Francestown. He
was a clerk in the store of Whipple & Atwood,
three years, at New Boston, New Hampshire. He
then came to Manchester and filled a like position in
the store of Stearns & Palmer for five years. Then
he went to East Wilton and was in the employ of



S. H. Dunbar for three years, at the end of which
time he returned to Manchester and took charge of
the meat department of Poore & Rowell two years.
August I, l88i, he bought out Woodbury Q. Sar-
gent's grocery store, at the corner of Lowell and
Maple streets, which he carried on profitably until
May. 1906, when he sold out after a quarter of a
century in business for himself. He has been suc-
cessful and has a very comfortable fortune. He
resides at No. 336 Myrtle street, where he has built
a commodious house, and busies himself during the
warm season in cultivating vegetables, fruits and
flowers, of which he has an abundance.

He is a Republican in politics and has held the
office of selectman four years. He attends the
Franklm Street (Congregational) Church, of which
Mrs. Lord is a member. He is a member of Pacific
Lodge, No. 45, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons,
of Francestown, and of Wilde Lodge, No. 45, and
Mt. Washington Encampment, No. 16, of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, of Manchester, and
of Delta Lodge, No. 84, Royal Arcanum. He mar-
ried, October 15, 1879, Addie S. Brown, of Greens-
boro, Vermont, who was born June 14, 1855, daugh-
ter of Timothy C. and Martha B. (Curtis) Brown.

It is probable that the present family is
LORD descended from the Lords who have
been prominent in the region of the Saco
Valley, Maine, for several generations. Abraham
Lord came from Ipswich, Massachusetts, to Kittery,
Maine, as early as 1670, and was undoubtedly a re-
lative of other Lords in that state. The family
has been numerous and influential at Hiram, Kenne-
bunkport and especially at Berwick, Maine, where
a reunion of Lords is held every summer. It is
from the Berwick branch that President Nathan
Lord, of Dartmouth College, who held the office
from 1828 to 1863, is descended, and it was at Ber-
wick Academy that he fitted for college. On ac-
count of lack of records it has not been possible to
connect the following line with those branches of
the family, whose history has previously been

(I) John Lord, son of Andrew Lord, was born
at Shapleigh. Maine, about the beginning of the
nineteenth century. He was a merchant and hotel-
keeper. He married Frances Hubbard, who bore
him eight children : Hope, Andrew J., Fanny, John
(2), whose sketch follows; Moses, Charles E., Love,
Martha. Hope married John Calvin Marsh, of Ac-
ton, Maine. Andrew J. married Hannah Hall, and
they had one child, Ida May. Fanny married
Alonzo Templeton, of Louisville. Kentucky. Moses

married , from Clifton, New York,

and they had four children : James, Margaret,
Stella and Lloyd ; the family now lives in Memphis,
Tennessee. Charles E. married Vesta Earl, and
they had four children : Harvey, Winifred, Frank
and Elizabeth ; the family lives in Acton, Maine.
Love married Stephen Adams, of Newfield, Maine,
and ,they had one child, Clement. Martha married
Luther F. Lary, of Acton, Maine, and they had three
children : Fanny, Daisy and Claudius.

(II) John (2), son -of John (i) and Frances
(Hubbard) Lord, was l)orn in that part of Shap-
leigh now called Acton, Maine, in August, 1836. He
attended school and helped on the farm till the age
of nineteen, when he was left with the care of the
homestead, and also of his mother. He managed
the farm from 1856 till 1872, when he engaged in
the express business, which he followed for two
years. He then opened a store, which he conducted
till 1884, meanwhile taking his son, William M.

Lord, into partnership. After giving up his mer-
cantile business in 1884, he returned to the farm.
John (2) Lord was active in politics, and served his
town many years as selectman, and also as collector
for the Democratic party. He belongs to the Con-
gregational Church, and also to the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows. About 1856 John (2) Lord
married Fidelia A. Sanborn, daughter of Veasie and
Phoebe (Tibbetts) Sanborn, of Acton, Maine. They
had four children : William M.. whose sketch fol-
lows ; Eva O., Exa L., and Andrew Jackson. John
(2) Lord is still living at Acton, Maine.

(Ill) William Marshall, eldest child of John
(2) and Fidelia A. (Sanborn) Lord, was born at
Acton, Maine, April 10, 1857. He lived on the
home place and attended school till the age of
seventeen, when he went into business with his
father under the name of John Lord. In 1884 he
succeeded his father, and carried on the business
till 1891, when he removed to Union, New Hamp-
shire, where he bought out the store which he still
conducts. In 1902 he formed what is known as the
W. M. Lord Company and bought an excelsior mill,
whose annual output of two thousand tons is mar-
keted in New York and the west. The firm also
does a big lumber business, cutting a million or ,
more feet each year. Mr. Lord is a man of sound
business judgment and pleasing personality, which
is shown by the fact that in a town strongly Re-
publican he was elected Democratic representative
in 1900. He has also served as member of the
school board. He is a Mason of the thirty-second
degree, a member of Unity Chapter, Order of the
Eastern Star, and treasurer of his Masonic lodge.
On February 24, 1880, William Marshall Lord mar-
ried Julia Rowell, daughter of Charles and Frances
(Hemenway) Rowell, of Fairfield, Maine. There
are no children.

Three centuries seem like a lifetime,
HEARD but nearly that number of years have

elapsed since the progenitor of this
line, strong of body, brave of heart and devout in
spirit, sought the wilderness of New England to
worship God in his own way and founded an hon-
ored family.

(I) William Heard, of the Devonshire family
of England, was probably the American ancestor of
the Heard family of Massachusetts. He was among
the emigrants who arrived at Plymouth, Massachu-
setts, on the ship "Ann" in August, 1623. In 1624
he was granted an acre of land in the north part of

(II) Zachariah Heard, born 1675, died Decem-
ber 27, 1761, is the next of the family of whom we
have record. "In August, 1707, he was the owner
of a homestead and clothier shop in Cambridge, on
the Watertown road." About 1709 he moved to
Wayland, where he was prominent in the affairs of
the town and held many town offices. He married.
1707, Silence Brown, of Wayland, by whom he had
a considerable number of children.

(III) Richard, fifth child of Zachariah and Si-
lence (Brown) Heard, was born April 2, 1720, died
May 16, 1792. He was captain of a company of
troopers under George III, represented Sudbury in
the first provincial congress which convened at
Salem, October 7, 1774, and was sent by his towns-
men in East Sudbury to represent them in the gen-
eral court in the sessions of 17S0-81-83. He mar-
ried Sarah Fiske, of Wayland. by whom he raised
a family.

(IV) David, son of Richard and Sarah (Fiske)
Heard, was born June 2, 1758, died January 22, 1813.



He married (first), May 24, 1784, Eunice Baldwin,
of Wayland, who died September 5, 1785, and (sec-
ond). March 31, 1789, Sibyl Sherman, of Wayland,
who died September 2, 1845.

(V) William, son of David and Sibyl (Sher-
man) Heard, was born in Wayland, September 19,
1795, died there March 30, 1869. "He was very-
prominent in the history of the town, and held every
office in its government. He was coroner of Mid-
dlesex county for many years. He was a man of
very strong will, unswerving honesty and untiring
zeal in carrying out whatever he undertook. Dur-
ing the war he traveled a short time in the South,
visited the soldiers in camp, with whom he had
much sympathy and for whose interests he spent
much time and labor." He was a Whig and Repub-
lican in politics, and in religion a Unitarian. He
married. March 14, 1825, Susan Mann, of Oxford,
New Hampshire, who died July 14, 1870. Their
children: Samuel H. M., William A., Jared M. and
Susan E.

(VI) Hon. William Andrew, second child and
son of William and Susan (Mann) Heard, was
born in Wayland, Massachusetts, August 25, 1827,
died at Centre Sandwich, New Hampshire, April
15, 1901. He attended the common schools and
Wayland Academy until he was fifteen years old,
and" then entered mercantile life as a clerk in the
store of Timothy Varney, of Centre Sandwich, Car-
roll county. New Hampshire ; this business he pur-
chased when twenty-two years of age and continued
in the same line of business until retiring in 1878,
after nearly twenty-eight years of active service and
successful merchandising. In August, 1862, Mr.
Heard enlisted as a soldier in the Fourteenth Regi-
ment, New Hampshire Volunteers, was_ commis-
sioned quartermaster of the regiment at its organ-
ization and accompanied it to the scene of its oper-
ations in Virginia, then the center of military ac-
tivity in the east. In November, 1862, he was made
brigade quartermaster and discharged the duties of
the position till failing health compelled him to re-
sign in September of the following year. Mr.
Heard's business ability was early recognized by
those wrho knew him. and he was called upon to fill
numerous public offices. He was clerk of Sand-
wich in 1859-61, representative in the New Hamp-
shire legislature in 1873-74. treasurer of Sandwich
Savings Bank from September, 1872, until January,
1887, was appointed clerk of the courts of Carroll
county in August, 1874, and was re-appointed in
August, 1876. holding the office until 1887. In Jan-
uary. 1887, he was appointed national bank ex-
aminer for 'the states of Maine and New Hampshire,
and in order to devote his entire time to this office
resigned all other official trusts. August 16, 1889,
Mr. Heard was appointed bank commissioner of the
state of New Hampshire, which office he filled until
August, 1893. resigning to accept the receivership
of the National Bank of the Commonwealth of
Manchester, New Hampshire.

In his early life he was a Whig, but UDon the dis-
solution of that party united with its successor, the
Republican party, supporting Lincoln and the war
measures, but sided with the Liberal Republicans
in 1872 and voted for Greeley. Subsequently he ad-
hered to the Democratic party. He was an active
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and one
of its most liberal supporters. He was made a
Mason at the organization of Red Mountain Lodge,
of Sandwich.'and filled its principal chairs. He was
a prominent member of Moulton S. Webster Post,
Grand Armv of the Republic, and was also a mem-
ber of the Massachusetts Commandery of the Mili-

tary Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States.
Mr. Heard started in life equipped with a sound
mind in a sound body, making up what he lacked in
book lore by fidelity and unflinching firmness of
purpose in the pursuit of his chosen vocation in life.
His personal character was above reproach, and his
church relations exemplary. All these things con-
tributed to make his life a success and render him a
prominent and influential man in business, social
and political circles.

He married, June 6, 1850, Anne Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of Hon. Moulton H. and Ann M. (Ambrose)
Marston, of Sandwich, New Hampshire. Mrs.
Heard died January 4, 1854, leaving one child, Ed-
win M., who resides in Sandwich, New Hampshire.
Mr. Heard married (second), April 25, 1855. Emily
Maria Marston, sister of his first wife, born April
i7. 1833. Of this marriage there were two sons:
William, who resides in Sandwich, New Hamp-
shire, and Arthur Marston.

(VII) Arthur Marston, the younger son of
William A. and Emily Maria (Marston) Heard,
was born at Sandwich, New Hampshire, February
13, 1866. After receiving the usual training in the
public schools he prepared for college at Tilton
Seminary, from which he was graduated in 1884.
He began his college course at Boston University,
but after one year at that institution entered the
sophomore class at Amherst College and was grad-
uated in 1888. Soon after leaving college he went
west, and for several years was in the employ of the
First National Bank of Arkansas City, Kansas,
where by rapid promotions he filled the various
clerical positions of the institution. In the panic of
1893 he was appointed special national bank exam-
iner and did acceptable work among the banks of
southern Kansas and Oklahoma, but in the succeed-
ing year he resigned to return to New Hampshire.
In April, 1895, he was appointed national bank
examiner, a position which he filled with credit to
himself and satisfaction to the national officers. In
December, 1895,' he resigned this position and was
elected cashier of the Merchants' National Bank of
Manchester, New Hampshire. December 13, 1902,
Mr. Heard was elected cashier of the Amoskeag
National Bank to fill the vacancy caused by the
death of John M. Chandler, brother of the late presi-
dent, George Byron Chandler. On July 11. 1905,
following the death of George Byron Chandler, he
was elected president of the Amoskeag National
Bank, making him the head of one of the largest
and strongest banking institutions in New Hamp-
shire. He is also president of the People's Gas
Light Company, director and member of the finance
committee of the New Hampshire Fire Insurance
Company, and is also connected with various other
corporations. He is a member of Red Mountain
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Sandwich,
New Hampshire: Trinity Commandery, Knights
Templar, of Manchester, and intermediate Masonic
bodies : Sons of American Revolution ; Massachu-
setts Commandery. Loyal Legion of United States.
He is an attendant at the services of the Franklin
Street Congregational Church. He married, June
12. 1895, Oi'a B. Farrar, at Arkansas City, Kansas.
Their children are : Marston, born December 2,
1897 ; Carlton Farrar, March 24, 1900.

(I) Tristam Hurd was born in Rochester, and
died in Manchester. 1865, at seventy-five or seventy-
six years of age. He settled in Manchester in 1842,
and spent the remainder of his life there. He was
a painter and Avas a long time in the employ of the
Amoskeag Mills, and served in the War of 1812 in
defence of Dover. He was married February i,
1818, to Sarah Hurd, both being of Rochester.



(II) Charles W., only son and third child of
Tristam and Lydia Hurd, was born in Durham, July
24, 1835, and died in Manchester, May 12, 1899. At
the age of seven years he was brought to Manches-
ter by his parents, and at seventeen made a voyage
to China in a sailing vessel. After his return home
he learned painting and frescoing, and was em-
ployed for many years in the paint works of the
Manchester Mills, and was superintendent of the
painting department of the Manchester Print Works
to 18S5. On the very day Fort Sumter was fired on,
April 19, i86r, he enlisted in the First Regiment,
New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry, was mustered
in May 2, as sergeant, and mustered out August 9,
1861. He again enlisted August 19, 1861, as a
private in Company G, Fourth New Hampshire Vol-
unteer Infantry, was appointed first lieutenant Sep-
tember 20, 1861, commissioned September 18, 1861,
as lieutenant, and served until March 20, 1862, when
he resigned. April 28, 1863, he enlisted at Boston,
Massachusetts, for one year as a landsman. He
served on the United States ships "Ohio," "Prince-
ton," and "Memphis," and was discharged July 26,
1864, as master at arms from the receiving ship at
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, his term of service hav-
ing expired. He married Martha A. Farnham, born
at Tilton, New Hampshire, daughter of Asa and
Martha Farnham, of Tilton, who died November 6,
1899. They had three children : Viola, who died in
infancy; Charles Asa, who died at the age of twen-
ty-seven years; and William H., the subject of the
next paragraph.

(III) William Hursey, youngest child of
Charles and Martha A. (Farnham) Hurd, was born
in Manchester. July 22, 1863. After attending the
Manchester schools for a while he went, at the age
of twelve years, as newsboy on the Concord Rail-
road, where he remained two years. He then
learned the printer's trade, at which he worked sev-
eral years in various places, first in the office of the
Manchester Union; then on the Chicago Inter-
Ocean; the Savannah (Georgia) News; Jackson-
ville (Florida) Times; and in Boston, Massachu-
setts. From 1883 to 1885 he was employed in a re-
tail establishment in Boston. In the latter year he
returned to Manchester, and in June bought a fine
cafe which he carried on until 1902. In 1897 he
bought the New City Hotel of Manchester, where
he had a flourishing trade until 1905, when he re-
tired from active business. He is an admirer of
fine horses, and has owned several fast trotters.
Mr. Hurd is an agreeable companion, an entertain-
ing talker, and a self-made man. He is a life mem-
ber of the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, of Lawrence, Massachusetts, and of the Order
of Eagles, of Manchester. He was the first chair-
man of the board of trustees of Aerie No. 290, of
Manchester. He is also a member of Amoskeag
Veterans and the Calumet Club. He married, Jan-
uary T, 1891, Alice B. Knowlton, daughter of James
and Mary Frances (Marshall) Knowlton, of Sutton.
They have spent winters in southern California,
Cuba, Jamaica, Porto Rico, Florida and Bermuda.

This name which usually indicates

HUTCHINS an English ancestry, is claimed in

the present instance as the heritage

of Scotch-Irish whom royal disfavor and local race

hatred forced out of Ireland, where the family had

existed for some time. Two brothers landed in

Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1630, went from there

to Dover, New Hampshire, then to Londonderry.

(I) Ebenezer Hutchins, the earliest known

member of the Hutchins family of this article, is
said to have been of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and Lon-
donderry is named as the place of his birth, which
is stated to have been in 1776. He died in Septem-
ber, 1858. Before his njarriage he went to live in
Canterbury, and there, January I, 1807, he was mar-
ried by Rev. William Patrick to Abigail Brier, of
that town, who was born in London, New Hamp-
shire, 1787, and died in Concord, New Hampshire,
1851. Their children were: Nancy, Reuben, John,
Sarah, Ebenezer, Hannah, Josiah, Jane.

(II) Ebenezer (2), son of Ebenezer (i) and
Abigail (Brier) Hutchins. was born in Canterbury,
August 3, 1822. He grew up on his father's farm,
and at the age of twenty-one years went into the

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 79 of 149)