Ezra S Stearns.

Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) online

. (page 99 of 149)
Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 99 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Nashoonon
Encampment, and Canton A., of Nashua.

Dr. Smith married, September 4, 1889, INIarcia A.
Deering, born June 3, 1867, daughter of Isaac N.
and Almira (Guptill) Deering, of Waterboro, Maine.
She graduated from Westbrook Seminary, Portland,
in 1886, and taught school from that time till her
marriage. Isaac N. Deering, of the seventh genera-
tion from George Deering, the emigrant, lived on
the large ancestral farm and carried on an exten-
sive lumbering and ice business. He served in nearly
all the town offices, also as representative in the legis-
lature, and sheriff of York county. Dr. and I\Irs.
Smith have on^ child, Deering Greeley Smith, born
June 5, 1896.

(Ninth Family.)
In the year 1718 a considerable number

SMITH of "Inhabitants of ye North of Ireland"

presented a memorial to the governing

authorities of the province of New Hampshire in

which was expressed "a sincere and hearty inclina-




tion to Transport ourselves to that very excellent
and renowned Plantation upon our obtaining from
his Excellency suitable incouragement" to that end.
Among the more than three hundred names which
were signed to the memorial were seven who bore
the name of Smith, and two whose family name was
Ker; yet among those who came to occupy the lands
•set off to them in pursuance of the memorial there
were none of either of the names mentioned.

The colony at Londonderry was planted in the
year 17 19 by immigrants from the north of Ireland,
and contemporaneous with that event one Thomas
Smith, who also was born in the north of Ireland,
came to America and first appeared in New Hamp-
shire history as one of the grantees of the
town of Chester^ not, however, as one of the original
proprietors, but as successor to the property rights
of Richard Swain, and was admitted as a grantee
by the committee of the proprietors. Among the
first settlers of Chester were others of the name of
Smith, but whether of the same family as Thomas
history gives us no account. There was one John
Smith, who is vaguely mentioned as a brother of
Thomas but the statement finds no corroboration.
Another name prominently mentioned in early Che-
ster history is that of John Ker (otherwise Karr
and Carr), whose sister Thomas Smith married
and founded a family which in each succeeding
generation from his time have been men of achieve-
ment, prominently identified with the civil and politi-
cal history of the state.

(I) Lieutenant Thomas Smith was born in the
north of Ireland, and is known to have been in the
town of Chester as early as the year 1720 and while
there is no present means to determine whether he
was of the family of Smiths whose members joined
in the memorial to the provincial governor, it is
fair to assume that such was the case and that he
came to this country from the north of Ireland
with the first colony of Scotch and English immi-
grants who planted the settlement at Londonderry,
New Hampshire. Tradition says that Thomas Smith
first settled in Hampton, and from there soon went
to Chester, but there is nothing to support this
supposition and his name is not found in any of the
records of that town. From what is disclosed by
town records and the chronicles of earlier writers
it is evident that Thomas Smith was possessed of
a resolute and determined character and great phy-
sical as well as moral courage, and it is clear that
he was a man of considerable influence among the
settlers. He was constable in 1724, lot-layer from
1725 to 1727, selectman in 1728 and fence viewer
in 1729. He was a member of the military company
formed in the town in 1731 and was chosen lieu-
tenant in 1732, hence the title by which he was after-
ward known. In 1724 he and John Karr, his brother-
in-law, were captured by a band of prowling Indians.
At the time Karr was about eighteen years old,
and with Smith w^as engaged in making a brush
fence to secure the latter's cow from the savages,
when they were surprised at the report of a gun
and_ a bullet passing between them, just touching
Smith. The Indians then sprang upon the whites
and in the struggle that followed Smith endeavored
to use the butt of his musket on the head of the
leader, the notorious Joe English, but missed his aim
and was captured, and the unfortunate two, closely
guarded, were started off in the direction of Canada.
At night they were securely bound and carefully
watched, but during the course of the second night
Smith managed to free himself without discovery
by his captors, then released Karr and both made

their way back to the settlement on the night of
the third day after they were taken.

About 1734 or '35 Thomas Smith sold his lands
in Chester and went to New Boston before the grant
of that town had been made. He settled in the
northeast part of the town, on what is now known as
"the plain" where he built a cabin and cleared a
small piece of land by girdling the trees and burning
over the ground. Lor nearly two years he was the
solitary inhabitant of that region, and was the
pioneer of the town. Near his house the proprietors
afterward built sixty dwellings, a grist and saw
mill and a meeting house; but this was not done
until the pioneer had lived several years in the town.
Here, as before in Chester, he was once the object
of an Indian attack, but managed to escape without
harm. He then left the town for a time and on com-
ing back brought his family with him. A few years
afterward he procured from the proprietors, either
by purchase or settlement, a large tract of land in
the northwest part of the town, n,ear the greaf
meadows, which remained in the possession ot his
descendants until about twenty years ago.

Thomas Smith built the first frame house in New
Boston and was a man of substance and influence,
although he appears not to have taken much part
in public affairs. Of his family life little is known
except that he married a sister of John Karr and
had several sons, who like himself, were upright men,
thrifty and prosperous, qualities which have charac-
terized their descendants in all later generations.
Among his children were his sons : Samuel, James
(who is said to have perished with cold on the road
from his father's house to Parker's in Goffstown),
Reuben (who was a soldier of the Revolution and
afterward settled in Maine) and John.

(II) John Smith, better known in New Boston
town history as Deacon John Smith, came with his
father from Chester. His first wife was a daughter
of William McNiel, whose home in New Boston
was about a mile from the house of Thomas Smith.
By his first wife Deacon John Smith had five chil-
dren : Martha, Sarah, Janey, Mary and John. His
second wife was Ann Brown, of Francestown, who
bore him fourteen children : Janey, Thomas, Eliza-
beth, William, David, Susanna, Ann, Samuel,
Martha, Reuben, Elizabeth, Robert, James D. and
in infant child who died unnamed.

(HI) David, son of Deacon John and Ann
(Brown) Smith, married Eleanor Giddings, and had
thirteen children.

(IV) Ammi, son of David and Eleanor (Gid-
dings) Smith, was born in the town of Acworth,
Sullivan countj^ New Hampshire, in the month of
August, 1800. He early became connected with
the lumber industry, and operated a saw mill at
Hillsborough for some years, conducting a profitable
business. About 1833 he went to Saxton's River,
Vermont, and engaged in the manufacture of woolen
goods, which he continued for fourteen years with
marked success. In 1847 he moved to Hillsborough,
retired from business, and died December 24, 1887.
Mr. Smith was married, in 1826, to Lydia F. Butler,
daughter of Dr. Elijah and Lydia (Fifield) Butler,
of Weare; she was born in Weare, New Hampshire,
August 29, 1802, and died at Hillsborough in April,
1865. Eight children were born to jNIr. and Mrs.
Smith : Eliza. Ann, Frank Pierce, John Butler,
Cynthia Jane, Lydia Ellen, and three who died in
early childhood. Eliza Ann married Frederick W.
Gould, of Hillsborough.

(V) John Butler, son of Ammi and Lydia (But-
ler) Smith, was born at Saxton's River, Vermont,

1 882


April 12, 1838, and was nine years old when his
father returned to New Hampshire and took up his
■residence at Hillsborough Bridge. He was educated
in the public schools of Hillsborough and Frances-
town Academy, in the latter taking a college pre-
paratory course, but a short time before graduation
left the academy and went to work in a general store
in New Boston; at that time he was seventeen years
of age. When he attained his majority he engaged
in business for himself. For a time he was in the
dry goods jobbing trade in Boston, afterward car-
ried on a tinware business at Saxton's River, Ver-
mont, his old home and birthplace, and still later
was a druggist in the city of Manchester, New
Hampshire. Neither of these undertakings were
particularly profitable from a financial standpoint,
nor were they carried on at pecuniary loss, but taken
together furnished an excellent business experience
and training and gave the young man an opportunity
to measure his own capacity for future enterprises
and therefore were years well spent in his early
business career. In 1864, being then a little more
than twenty-five years old, Mr. Smith began the
manufacture of knit goods at Washington, New
Hampshire. At the end of a year he moved the
works to Weare and after another year to Hills-
borough, where he found a better location both for
manufacture and shipping, and where he established
his equipment in a mill built by him for that purpose.
The business was started in a small way, for his
means were not large, and from the outset of his
career his cardinal business principle was to operate
and live within the extent of his own capital and
not hazard an end which could not be reasonably
well calculated from the beginning. This quality
in the man never has been called timidity, for no man
who knows John Butler Smith and has watched his
reasonable success in private business life, or his
public career, will assume to charge him with lack
of courage in any respect. For more than thirty
years he has been known as a prudent man of affairs,
with an excellent capacity for measuring ultimate
results, whether in the transaction of private con-
cerns or the still more uncertain operations of state

In Hillsborough he stands today at the head of
one of the greatest industries in the county outside
the cities of Nashua and Manchester, and what-
ever success has attended his efforts has been the
result of his own foresight and judgment. In 1882
his manufacturing interests were incorporated under
the name of Contoocook Mills Company, and "since
that time he has been its president and active man-
aging officer. The company under normal conditions
•ernploys about two hundred and fifty hands and has
principal distributing centers for its product in
New York City and Boston. Besides his manufac-
turing and mercantile investments he is owner of
considerable real property in various parts of New
Hampshire and in the city of Boston, and president
of the Hillsborough Guaranty Savings Bank; and
notwithstanding the constant demands upon his time
in connection with personal affairs he has found time
to take a loyal citizen's interest in local and gen-
eral politics, and for more than twenty years has
been an influential factor in the councils of the Re-
publican party in New Hampshire. In 1884 'le was
an alternate delegate from this state to the national
Republican convention at Chicago, and in the fall
of that year was a presidential elector on his party
ticket. From 1887 to 1889 he was a member of the
governor's council, and in 1890 was chairman of
the state Republican central committee. In 1888 he
was a candidate for nomination in the state conven-

tion for the governorship of New Hampshire, but
was _ defeated, and in 1890 declined to contest for
nomination because of the candidacy of his warm
personal and political friend, Hiram A. Tuttle.
However, in 1892 he again entered the list for
gubernatorial honors, received unanimous nomina-
tion by acclamation in the convention, and was
elected at the polls in November of that year*
by a splendid plurality. He served two years,
1893-95, as _ chief executive of the state and
in that high office carried himself honor-
ably and to the entire satisfaction of the people with-
out distinction of party. In his domestic and home
life in Hillsborough Mr. Smith finds perfect con-
tentment. He is a consistent member of the Con-
gregational Church of that town, a liberal supporter
of the church and its dependencies, and a generous
donor to all worthy charities and to whatever tends
to the best interests of the town and the welfare of
its people.

He has been twice married. On November i,
188,3, he married Emma Lavender, of Boston. She
was born in Lansingburg, Rensselaer county. New
York, February 20, 1858, and is a descendant of the
ancient Lavender family of Kent county, England;
a woman of education, refinement and high social
connections. She enjoys the acquaintance of a
wide circle of friends in New Hampshire and Massa-
chusetts, especially in Hillsborough and the cities
of Manchester and Boston. In Hillsborough, where
she has lived a comparatively short time, she is
known and admired for her ever agreeable manners,
dignified christian character and unselfish devotion
to home and family, the church and the benevolent
work of its auxiliary societies; her benevolences are
bestowed liberally and wholly without display. The
Smith residence on School street in Hillsborough
is one of the finest in the state, a seat of comfort
and refined hospitality. Three children have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Their first child,
Butler Lavender Smith, was born in Hillsborough,
March 4, 1886, and died in St. Augustine, Florida,
April 6, 1888. Their second child, Archibald Laven-
der Smith, was born in Hillsborough, February i,
1889, and their third child, Norman Smith, was
born in Hillsborough, May 8, 1892. These sons
have been brought up under the careful training of
their mother, and having passed beyond the scope
of the Hillsborough schools are students in a college
preparatory school in Boston, near the winter home
of their parents in that city.

George Edward Gould, son of Eliza Ann, sister
of John B. Smith, was born in the month of Novem-
ber, 1852. He is the treasurer of the Contoocook
Mills Company, a man of wide experience in the
woolen goods business, and he has been associated
with Mr. Smith for a period of forty years, having
risen step by step, until he attained the responsible
position he now fills. He married Addie Ellsworth,
of Hillsborough, and they have one child, Mary,
wife of George H. Chandler, treasurer of the Amos-
keag Savings Bank, of Manchester.

Family tradition has it that the line of
SMITH Smith of this article is of Scotch-Irish

descent. The family has been estab-
lished in southeast New Hampshire for a century
and a half, as its records show.

(I) John Smith, the earliest ancestor now
known, resided in West Nottingham.

(II) Samuel, son of John Smith, was born
in Nottingham and had two sons : Samuel and
Alexander, the latter named the subject of the next

I "1


^-^r ^55^-7-*^^^^



(III) Alexander, son of Samuel Smith, was
born in Nottingham, August 24, 1793, was a black-
smith and died in Londonderry in 1859. He was a
Presbyterian and a Democrat. He married, Febru-
ary 19, 1S22, Sarah Melvin, of Peterboro, who died
1888. Their seven children were : Reuben A., Sarah
A., Daniel D., Clarissa N., Mary J., Charles S. and
Walter A.

(IV) Reuben A., eldest child of Alexander and
Sarah (Melvin) Smith, was born in Londonderry,
March 8, 1823, and died in Auburn, February 16,
1903. He learned the shoemaker's trade, and after
working at that for a short period of time removed
to Weare, where he bought and cultivated a farm.
In politics he was a Republican, and in church al¥i-
liations a Universalist. He married, October, 1848,
Laura J. Jones, of Bradford. She was well edu-
cated and was for a time a teacher. She was a
member of the Universalist Church. Two children
were born of this union : Story A., whose sketch
follows, and Etta L., who married Henry C. Jones,
of York Beach, Maine.

(V) Story Alonzo, son of Reuben A. and
Laura J. (Jones) Smith, was born in Stoneham,
Massachusetts, June i, 1851. He was educated in
the common schools, at Derry Academv and in
Manchester high school, and worked in Weare and
Goffstown. In 1892 he settled in Auburn and
owned and conducted a hotel on the east shore of
Lake Mas'sabesic, where he furnished entertainment
for summer guests. He is a Republican, and holds
to the religious faith of the Universalists. He has
been a Mason twenty years. He married, in 1895,
Elvira Severance, daughter of William and Eliza
(Ricker) Severance, of Auburn. They have three
children: Severance A., born July 17, 1896; Henry
G., September 3, 1898; and John Story, March
13. 1903-

This is one of the names which it is
S]\IITH extremely difficult to trace because of

the large number bearing It and the
confusion arising from repetitions of the same Chris-
tian name. This is to be regretted as those bearing
the name have borne their share in the development
of civilization and all that makes for human prog-
ress. Its bearers are still contributing their share to
the moral and material development of their respec-
tive communities.

(I) The first of this family now known positively
was John Smith, of Beverly, Massachusetts. It is
probable that he was a son of Thomas and Abigail
(Baker) Smith of that town, but no proof can be
found to establish such a fact. The first record of
him is found in the publishment of his intention of
marriage to Abigail Baker, February 24, 1788. It
is apparent from this that the date of his marriage
given in the history of Salisbury, New Hampshire
is incorrect. He had three children baptized in
Beverly as follows: John Baker, July 10, 1791;
Robert, October 2, 1792, and Sally, November 24,
1793. In Februarys 1794, Mr. Smith removed with
his family to Bradford, New Hampshire, and re-
mained three years, removing in February, 1797,
to Unity. He continued to reside in that town nearly
forty years and removed, in 1836, to Salisbury, New
Hampshire, where the balance of his life was passed.
His wife, Abigail Baker, was a daughter of Jona-
than and ^lary (Conant) Baker. (See Baker,
second family, IV).

(II) Colonel John Baker Smith, eldest son and
child of John and Abigail (Baker) Smith, was born
December 2, 1789, in Beverly, Massachusetts, and
died in Salisbury, New Hampshire, January 3, 1859.

aged seventy. He was brought by his parents to
New Hampshire when five years old. He lived in
Bradford and Unity until ]\Iarch, 1828, when he re-
moved with his family to Salisbury to take care of
his mother's brother, Benjamin Baker, after whose
death he bought out the tavern stand of John Shep-
herd, which he kept at various times for a long
period of years. During one of his occupations
the house became extensively known as "Smith's
Temperance House," as at that time it was an un-
usual thing to keep a public house and not sell
liquor. In 1832 he served as deputy sheriff, and
continued as such for a number of years. His title
of "colonel" was due to his appointment to the com-
mand of the Sixteenth New Hampshire Militia,
previous to his removal to Salisbury. Early in life
he became a cattle drover for the market at Danvers,
Massachusetts. He married, July 4, 1813, Hannah
Huntoon, who was born in Unity in 1793, and died
May I, 1880, aged eighty-seven. She was the daugh-
ter of John and Susannah (Chase) Huntoon. John
Huntoon served at Ticonderoga and was a captain
in the Revolution. He was born at Kingston, Jan-
uary 4, 1753, and died in Salisbury, at the age of
eighty-five. He was the son of Charles, son of
John, son of Philip, the common ancestor. The
children of John B. and Hannah (Huntoon) Smith
were : John C. and Nancy M.

(Ill) Colonel John Cyrus Smith, only son of
Colonel John Baker and Hannah (Huntoon) Smith,
was born in Unity, August 13, 1815, and died in
Salisbury in October, 1900, aged eighty-five years.
In 1828, when thirteen years old, he was brought
to .Salisl3ury by his parents on their removal to that
town. He received a good common school educa-
tion and began life for himself as a dealer in cattle,
which business he had learned well from his asso-
ciation with his father. He sold his stock, which he
drove on foot, principally in the Massachusetts mar-
kets. For some years he was associated with Jona-
than Arey in the wheelwright and blacksmith busi-
ness, and for a time freighted goods over the road
to Boston, Massachusetts, and that vicinity. He
afterwards purchased the hotel property of his Uncle
Nathan, which, with several intermissions, he con-
ducted for twenty-one years. While owning the
hotel he purchased the farm where he afterward re-
sided. He was quite extensively engaged in farming
in which he was successful. As a business man he
was thorough and systematic in all his undertakings.
On the completion of the Northern railroad to
Franklin, superseding the stage route, he took the
first contract, in 1846-47, to carry the United States
mail, receiving it at Boscawen, making daily trips
and bringing it to what is known locally as South
road. This route he sold out in 1859 when the post
office was established at West Salisbury.

He commanded the Franklin Rifle Company, was
appointed adjutant of the Twenty-first Regiment,
passed up through the line of promotion, and was
made colonel of the regiment in 1848. Report says :
"He made a very efficient officer, a strict disciplin-
arian, and was familiar with all military movements,"
Under Sheriff P. Gale he served as deputy in 1854,
receiving a similar appointment under William H.
Rixford. He was appointed justice of the quorum,
July II, 1856, and of the state, June 10, 1879, and in
that capacity (outside of the profession) did more
business than any man in town after the time of
Dr. Joseph Bartlett, Sr. In the settlement of estates
he did a great deal. A sound and eminent judge of
Merrimack county said of him: "He was the best
administrator and caused the least trouble of any
one I knew." He was the acknowledged leader of

1 884


the Democratic party in town affairs for many years,
but gave up that place some time before
his death. He held at times all the town
offices, and no person living in his time
was so well informed on the town's affairs as he.
He married, May 26, 1841, Clara Johnson, who was
born in Concord, December 3, 1817, and died Oc-
tober I, 1903. She was the daughter of Reuben and
Judith H. (Chandler) Johnson, of Penacook. The
children of this marriage were : George F., Clara
J., May Ella, John R., Cornelia JNL, Hannah Eliza-
beth and Cyrus H. George F. was a soldier in the
Civil war and served in the Sixteenth New Hamp-
shire Regiment. He went to Minneapolis, ]\linne-
sota, in 1864, and became a leading hardware mer-
chant. Clara J. married Samuel C. Forsaith, and
lived in Manchester. May Ella married Henry
Burleigh and resides in Franklin. John R. is men-
tioned at length below. Cornelia M. is single.
Hannah E. married Arthur T. Burleigh, of Franklin.
Cyrus H. died in Minneapolis.

(IV) John Reuben Smith, fourth child and
second son of John C. and Clara (Johnson) Smith,
was born in Salisbury, New Hampshire, April 21,
1850. He attended the common schools in Salis-
bury and Pembroke until he was eighteen years old
and then took a brief course in a business college.
At twenty-one years of age he went to Minneapolis,
Minnesota, where he was employed as a clerk in the
store of his brother, George F. Later Mr. Smith
and William H. H. Day formed the co-partnership
of Smith & Day, and engaged in the hardware busi-
ness in Minneapolis. This firm was in business
seven years and then Mr. Smith became a commer-
cial traveler for Strong, Hackett & Company, of
St. Paul, dealers in hardware, and covered
the state of Minnesota. In 1882 Mr. Smith bought
a hardware store in Bismarck, Dakota, which he kept
until 1883, when he sold out and went to Chicago,
Illinois, and took the road for Markley, Ailing
& Company, hardware dealers, for whom he traveled
two years in Minnesota and Dakota. The following
two years he worked the same territory for the

Online LibraryEzra S StearnsGenealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation (Volume 4) → online text (page 99 of 149)