Copyright
F. H. (Frank Herbert) Hayward.

Ambulator; or, A pocket companion in a tour round London, within the circuit of twenty-five miles: describing whatever is most remarkable for antiquity, grandeur, elegance, or rural beauty .. online

. (page 14 of 30)
Online LibraryF. H. (Frank Herbert) HaywardAmbulator; or, A pocket companion in a tour round London, within the circuit of twenty-five miles: describing whatever is most remarkable for antiquity, grandeur, elegance, or rural beauty .. → online text (page 14 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


two miles from London. It takes its name from Hemy
Rich, Earl of Holland, was built by his father-in-law, Sir
Walter Cope, in 1607, and affords a very good fpecimen
of the architecture of that period.

The celebrated Addifon became poffeflrd of this venera-
ble manfion, in 1716, by his inter-marri; oe with Charlotte
Countefs Dowager of Warwick and Holland. Here was
the fcene of his laft moments, and of his affecting interview
with his fon-in- law, the Earl of Warwick, to whom he
had been tutor, and whofe licentioufnefs of manners he had
anxioufly, but in vain, endeavoured to reprefs. As a laft
effort, he fent for him into the room where he lay at the
point of death, hoping that the folemnity of the fcene
might make fome impreffion upon him. When that young
nobleman came, he requefied to know his commands, and

received



H O R 137

received the memorable anfwer, " See in what peace a
chriftian can die," to which Tick-.ll thus alludes:

He taught us how to live; and, oh ! too high
A price for knowledge, taught us how to die.

On the death of this young nobleman, in 1721, unmar-
ried, his eftates devoted on the father of the prefent Lord
Kenfington, (maternally defcended from Robert Rich, Earl
of Warwick) who fold it, in 1762, to the Right Hon.
Henry Fox. It is now the property of his grandfon, Lord
Holland, and the refidence of Edward Be.arcroft, Efq.

A gallery, which occupies the whole length of the weft
wing, about 118 feet, is ornamented with portraits of the
Lenox, Fox, and Digby families; among which are princi-
pally noticed, Charles JI and the Duchefs of Portfmouth ;
Sir Stephen Fox, by Lely ; Henry, Lord Holland ; and the
Right Hon. Charles James Fox, when a boy, in a group,
with Lady Sufan Strangeway 1 and Lady Sarah Lenox, by
Sir Jofhua Reynolds.

HOLMESDALE, a rough and woody tract, in Surry,
lying immediately beneath the hills to the S. and E. of that
county, and extending into Kent. Red deer are (till found
here ; and it is faid to take its name from the holm-oak
with which it abounds.

HOLWOOD HOUSE, the feat of the Right Hon. Wil-
liam Pitt, on Holwood Hill, in the parifh of Kefton, five
miles from Bromley. Great part of the Roman camp ap
Kefton is inclofed in Mr. Pitt's grounds: and hence is one
of the moft delightful profpe&s in the county. See Kefton.

HORNCHURCH, a village in Eflex, the only parifli in
the liberty of Havering, z|- miles from Rumford, of which
it is the mother church. A large pair of horns is affixed
to the eaft end of the church, for which tradition affigns
fome reafon too idle to be repeated. Here is Langtons, the
handfome feat of Richard Wyatt, Efq. and Marlhals, the
pleafant villa of fackfon Barwis, Efq.

HORDON-ON-THE-HILL, a market-town in Eflex,
1 9 miles from London, in the road from Chelmsford to
Tilbury Fort. From this place is a vejy beautiful profpecl.

HOkNSEY, a village in Middlefex, five miles from
N 3 London.



138 HUN

London. In the footway from this village to Highbury
Earn, at Ifiington, is aoppice of young trees, called Horn-
fev Wood, at the entrance of which is a public houfe, to
which great numbers of perfons refort from the city. This
houfe being fituated on the top of an eminence, affords a
delightful profpeft of the neighbouring country. The New
River winds beautifully through Hornfey. On the fide of
the road from Islington to Southgate, is a capital manfion,
with handfome porter's lodges, built by Edward Gray
Efq . See Higbgate and Ma/well Hill.

HORSELEY, Eaft and Weft, two villages, four miles
beyond Leatherhead. In the former is a fine feat, the pro-
perty of William Currie, Efq. Jn the latter is the hand-
fome houfe of Henry Wefton, Efq.

HORTON, a village in Buckinghamshire, near Coin-
brook, where Milton, after he had left the univerfity, re-
fided five years with his father.- The houfe, called the ma-
nor-houfe, is now in the occupation of Mrs. Hugford.
Here his mother died, in 1637, and is buried in the chan-
cel of the church. Here alfo is the feat of Mifs Lawfon.

HOUNSLOW, a market-town of Middlefex, 91 miles
from London. It is a hamlet to two parifhes; the fouth
fide lying in Uleworth, and the north fide, with the chapel,
in Hefton. Here was formerly a priory, which belonged
to the brethren of the Holy Trinity, whofe peculiar office
it was to folicit alms for the redemption of captives. The
fite of the priory, with the manor-houfe adjoining the cha-
pel, is the property of Mrs. Sophia Bulftrode.

Hounflow ftands in the edge of the heath of the fame
name, on which are fome powder mills on a branch of the
river Coin. On this heath James II formed an encamp,
roent, after the fvippreffion of the Duke of Monmouth's
rebellion, in crder the more effedually to enflave the na-
tion ; and here he fii ft perceived the little dependence that
he could have upon his army, by their rejokings on receiv-
ing the news of the acquittal of the feven Bifliops.

HUNSDON HOUSE, to the N. E. of Hoddefdon, in
Herts, was a royal palace, erefted by Henry VIII, and was
granted to Lord Hunfden, by his firft coufm, Queen Eli-
zabeth. It was the property of the late Nicholas Calvert,
Eiq.

HYDE,



H Y D 139

HYDE, THE, the feat of Thomas Brand Hollis, Efq.
near Ingatefton, in which is a fine collection of prints, an-
cient coins and medals, ftatues, vafes, and other antiques,
fome of them from Herculaneum, and collected by Mr.
Hollis himfelf in Italy. In the hall, in particular, are two
farcophagi, fuperior to thofe at Wilton,

HYDE HALL, the feat of the Earl of Roden, near Saw-
bridgeworth, in Herts, 25 miles from London.

HYDE PARK, a celebrated park at the weft extremity
of the metropolis, adjoining on the fouth fide to Knightf-
bridge, and lying between the two roads which lead to
Hounflow and Uxbridge. It is the fite of a manor, which
anciently belonged to the church of Weftminfter, till it be-
came the property of the crown in the reign of Henry
VIII, by exchange for other lands. In 1652, this park
contained 620 acres. During the ufurpation, it was fold
in different lots, and produced 17,068!. 6s. 8d. including
the timber and the deer. The crown-lands being refumed
after the Reftoration, it was replenifhed with deer, and
furrounded by a brick wall, having, before that time, been
fenced with pales. It has been confiderably reduced fince
the furvey in 1652, .partly by buildings between Hyde-
Park-Corner and Park Lane, but principally by the mak-
ing of Kenfington Gardens. By a furvey taken in 1790,
its prefent extent appears to be 394 A. 2 R. 38 P. In the
upper part, adjoining to Kenfington Gardens, are fome
fine trees, and the fcenery is very pleafing. The large ca-
nal, called the Serpentine River, (which has fo often prov-
ed fatal to adventurous fkaiters and defponding fuicides)
was made by Queen Caroline in 1730; the water being
fupplied by a fmall ftream which rifes at Bayfwater, ana
falls into the Thames near Ranelagh, dividing the parifh of
Chelfea from that of St. George, Hanover Square.

Hyde Park has been long a favourite place for taking the
air, and exhibiting fine coaches, fine horfes, and expert
horfemanihip. Ludlow, in his Memoirs, has the following
curious remark : " May i, 1654. This day was more ob-
ferved for people going a maying than for divers years paft.
Great refort to Hyde Park : many hundreds of rich coaches,
and gallants in attire, but moil fhameful powdered hair

men,



140 I s L

men, and painted fpotted women." In Hyde Park nlfo,
the troops in and about the metropolis, are exercifed and
frequently reviewed.



ICKENHAM, a village in Middlefex, two miles from
Uxbridge. In this place is Svvakeley Houfe, the feat of
the Rev. Mr. Clarke.

JESSOP's WELL, a fulphurious fpring, of the fame kind
as that of Harrowgate, four miles from Epfom.

ILFORD, Great and Little, two villages in Eflex, in the
parifh of Barking, fituate on each fide of the river Rodino;;
the former 6| miles from London, in the road to Cheimi-
ford. Here is Highland Honfe, the elegant feat of Ifaac
Currie, Efq. As it is built of ftone, it forms a fine termi-
nation to a vifta from Wanftead Houfe. See Valentine
Hwfe.

INGATESTONE, a market- town, 23 miles from Lon-
don, on the road to Harwich. Here is the ancient feat of
Lord Petre, whofe anceftor, Sir William Petre, founded
eight fellowships, at Oxford, called the Petrean fellowfliips,
and erected here an almfhoufe for twenty poor perfons.
Part of the houfe is pulled down: the reft 'is inhabited by
the ftevvard and fome Roman Catholic families dependent
upon his lordfhip. The town confifts of one ftreet, the
north fide of which, and half of the fouth fide, are in the
parifh of Frycrning. In the church are fome (lately monu-
ments of the Petre family.

INGRESS PARK, at Sanfcombe, in Kent, 19 miles
from London, the elegant villa of the hue H. W. D. Roe-
buck, Efq. which commands a fine view of the Thames.

ISLE OF DOGS, a part of Poplar Marfli, on the north
fide of the Thames, in Middlefex. When our Sovereigns
had a palace at Greenwich, they ufed it as a hunting feat,
and, itisfaid, kept the kranels of their hounds in this
marfti. Thefe hounds frequently making a great noife,
the feamen called the place the Ifle of Dogs, though it is
neither an ifland, nor a peninfula.

ISLEWORTH, a village in Middlefex, on the Thames,
8| miles from London. The church is a modern ftruc-

ture :



ISLINGTON. 141

lure; but it has a venerable tower, covered with ivy, which
belonged to the former church. Near the grand entrance
into Sion Park, is ahoufe, the property and refidence of Sir
Nathaniel Duckenfield, Bart. Gumley Houfe, the refi-
dence of the Jaft Earl of Bath, (and fo called from having
been built by John Gumley, Efq. father of his Countefs)
belongs to Mr. Angell, and is on the north fide of the road
from Twickenham to London. Fronting the Hounflow
road, is the handfome villa of David Godfrey, Efq. ; and,
by the water fide, a houfe built by James Lacey, Elq. now
the property of the Hon. Mrs. Keppel, and the refidence
of the Earl of Warwick. See Sion Houfe and Sion Hill.

ISLINGTON, a considerable village N. of London, to
which it is now united. The parifli contains, befide the vil-
lage, the hamlet of Holloway, Kingfland Green, and part of
Newington Green. The church, ereled in 1 754, is a neat
brick ilruclure, with a fpire, quoins, cornices, and archi-
traves of Portland ftone. Its height, to the top of the vane,
is 164 feet. Its length is 108 feet, and its breadth 60. Its
roof is fupported without pillars ; and the infide is adorned
with elegant fimplicity. In 1787, it underwent confidera-
ble repairs. The fcaffolding was of wicker-work, framed
upon a very curious plan round the fteeple, by Mr. Birch,
a bafket-maker of St. Alban's, who had before contrived a
fimilar work for the repairs of the fpire of the abbey
church in that town. He engaged to ereft this fcaffold for
20!. and the privilege of fhewing it at fixpence each perfon,
which amounted to a confiderable fum. An old building
in Canonbury-Field, is abfurdly called Queen Elizabeth's
Lodge*. In the Crown Public Houfe, in the Lower Street,

* S try pe records ths following curious anecdote: "Beyond Alderf-
gate Bars, leaving the Charter Houfe on (he left hand, llretches op to-
w.ird Ifeldon, commonly called Islington, a country -town -hard by;
which, in the former age, was efteemed to be fo pleafantly feated, that in
1581, Queen Elizabeth, on an evening, rode that w;.y to take the airj
where, near the town, Ihe was invironed with a number of begging ro
giics, which gave the Queen much disturbance. Whereupon Mr. Stone,
one of her footmen, came in all hafte to th? Lord Mayor, and to Fleet-
wood, the Recorder, and told them the fame. The fame night did the
Recorder fe/id out warrants into the fame quarters, and into Wcftminftcr
and the Duchy. And in the morning he went out himfelf', and took
that day fcven:y-four rogues, whereof fame were blind, and yet great ult-
ruis, and very rich. They were fent to Bridewell, and pumflied."

among



142 ISLINGTON.

among other decorations on painted glafs, apparently of the
reign of Henry VI I, is an original portrait of Elizabeth,
the Queen of that Monarch, fuppofed to have been paint-
ed in 1487. In the fields, to the N. W. of the White Con-
duit Houfe and Tea Gardens, is a large iuclofure, called the
Reed Mote, or Six-acre field, fuppofed to have been a Ro-
man camp. The White Conduit Houfe takes its name
from a conduit near it, which formerly fuppli^d the Char-
ter Houfe; and a pipe belonging to it, is uill exifting, and
conveys water to Dr. de Valangiu's houfe in Pentonville.

On the S. W. fide of Iflington, is a fine refervoir, called
New River Head, which confifts of a large bafin, into
which the New River enters: part of the water is thus con-
veved by pipes to London, while another part is throvvn
by an engine through other pipes, to a refervoir, which
lies much higher, in order to fuppk the higheft parts of
London. Near the New River Head, is the well-known
place of public amufement, called Sadler's Wells, which
takes its name from a fpring of mineral water, now called
Iflington Spa, or New Tunbridge Wells. This fpring was
difcovered by one Sadler, in 1683, m the garden belong-
ing to a houfe, which he had then juft opened as a mufic-
room. The water refembles much in quality and effect
that of Tunbridge Wells in Kent. Sadler's mufic-houfe
came, after his death, to one Francis Forcer, whofe'fon was
the firft that exhibited there the diverfions of rope-dancing
and tumbling, to which have for many years been added
mufical interludes and pantomimes.

To the N. of Iflington, is Highbury Place, which fronts
the fine hills of Highgate and Hampltead. Higher ftill is
Highbury Terrace, which commands a beautiful profpeft.
Near this is the neat villa, paddock, and pleafure grounds
of Alexander Aubert, Efq. who has ere&ed near the houfe,
a lofty and fpacious obfervatory, furnifhed with a complete
collection of aftronomical inftruments. On the fite of thefe
premifes was a moated fpot, called Jack Straw's CafHe, on
which flood the manfion of the Priors of the order of St.
John of Jerufalem, which was burnt to the ground by the
commons of Eflex, June 13, 1381, in the infuneclion un-
der Wat Tyler and Jack Straw. Near this is a noted ta-
vern



IVER. 143

vern and tea-gardens, called Highbury Barn. At the en-
rrance of the town, but in the parifh of St. James's Clerk-
f nwell, are almfhoufes for ten widows, of the parifh of If-
iington, and a fchooi for 25 boys of the fame parifh and
that of Clerkenwell. They were creeled by Dame Alice
Owen, and are under the government of the Brewers Com-
pany; from whofe records it appears, that they were
founded by her in confequence of a providential deliver-
ance from death, in the reign of Queen Mary, when this
part of Iflington was all open fields. It was then a fre-
quent exercife for the archers to fhoot with their bows and
arrows at butts ; and this lady walking in the fields with
her maid, an arrow pierced the crown of her hat, ( high-
crowned hats being then in fafhion) without the leaft inju-
ry. In commemoration of this deliverance, flie built the
fchooi and almflioufes, about three years before her death.
For many years, an arrow was fixed on the top of thefe
tioufes, which ftands on the very fpot where this accident
happened.

In this parifh, in the road from Iflington to Hoxton
Town, is the white lead manufactu^y of Samuel Waljter
and Co. of Mafborough, near Rotheram, who erected here,
in 1786, a curious windmill, for the purpofe of grinding
white lead, differing in two remarkable particulars from
common windmills, viz. ift, the brick tower of it is crown-
ed with a great wooden top, or cap, to which are affixed on
one fide the flyers, and on the other fide a gallery, which
ferves to turn the whole top at pleafure, fo as to bring the
flyers into that direclron which is moll convenient with re-
fpecl to the wind; and 2dlv, inftead of four, the ufual
number of flyer?, it is furnifhed with five. -See Cauanbury,
Kingjlartciy Nmuington-Green, -and Pent m-ville.

IVER, a village in Bucks, three miles from Uxbridge.
Here was Delaford, the feat of Sir William Young, Bart,
which was lately pulled down; the extenfive pleafure-
grounds being added to thofe of Mr. Cleve?, whofe feat is
near the church. Thefe, with other adclitior.s. and turn-
ing the road on the front of the r.cufe, has rendered Mr.
Cleves' a delightful retreat.

At Shredding's Green, in this parifh, is the feat of Mrs.

Colborne



144 KEN

Colborne, built by Sir John Vanbrugh, for the Dowager
of Lord Mohun, who was killed in a duel, that was lijcewife
fatal to his antagonift James Duke of Hamilton. A very
conflderable cotton mill has lately been erected at Iver.

K

KELVEDON HALL, in the parifli of Kelvedon Hatch,
in Eflex, near 20 miles from London, on the road to
Chipping Ongar, the elegant villa of John Wright, Efq.
It commands a rich and extenfive profpeft, in which, on a
fine day, a part of London may be feen by the naked eye.

KENDAL's HALL, the feat of William Phillimore,
Efq. 1 3 miles from London, in the road from Edgware to
St. Alban's, and in the parifli of Aldenham, Herts.

KEMPTON PARK, in the parifli of Hanworth, in
Middlefex, formerly the feat of the famous traveller, Sir
John Chardin, and now of Sir John Mufgrave, Bart.

KENNINGTON, one of the eight precinds of Lam-
bcth. Here was a royal palace, which Edward III made
a part of the Duchy of Cornwall ; and here Edward the
Black Prince refided. It was likewife the refidence of Ri-
chard II, when Prince of Wales. In 1396, the young
Queen Ifabella was conveyed, amid a prodigious concourfe
of people, from Kennington to the Tower; and it was the
occafional refidence of Henry IV, VI, and VII. The ma-
nor was firft farmed out by Henry VIII. Camden lays,
that in his time there is no traces of this palace. It was
probably pulled down, after it ceafed to be an occafional
royal refidence, and a manor-houfe built on the fite, which
was occupied by Charles I, when Prince of Wales. In a
furvey, taken in 1 656, this manor-houfe is faid to be " fmall,
and an old low timber building, fituate upon part of the
foundation of the ancient manfion-houie of the Black
Prince, and other Dukes of Cornwall after him, which wss
long ago utterly ruined, and nothing thereof remaining but
the ftable, iSo'feet long, built of flint and ftone, and now
ufed as a barn." At this time, therefore, not only the ma-
nor-houfe, but, what Camden could not find, The. Lon^
Barn (as it was then called) was vifible; and the latter,

jn



KEN 145

in 1709, was one of the receptacles of the poor diftrefled
Palatine Proteftants. In 1786, in digging near this barn,
for a cellar, fome fpacious vaults of ftone were difcpvered,
the arches of .which were cemented by a fubilance harder
than (lone itfelf. The manor belongs to the Prince of
Wales, as part of the Duchy of Cornwall. The Long Barn
was pulled down in 1795 > anc ^ on tne ^ te are ei 'e&ed fome
houfes, which form a continuation of Park Place, Kenning-
ton Crofs. The road, by Elizabeth Place, to Lambeth
Butts, is ft ill called Prince's Road, and was fo denominated
m all ancient writings; it having been the road by which
the Black Prince came to his palace, when he landed at the
flairs at Lambeth. Kennington gave the title of Earl to
William Duke of Cumberland, fon of George II.

KENNINGTON COMMON, on the road to Clap,
ham, is the common place of execution for Surry. Some
of the rebels, who were tried by the fpecial commiflion, in
Southwark, in 1746, fuffered here. On this common is a
bridge formerly called Merlon Bridge, becaufe" the Canons
of Merton Abbey had lands, for the purpofe of repairing it.

KENSINGTON, a village in Middlefex, one mile and
a half from Hyde Park Corner. It contains the hamlets
of Brompton, Earl's Court, the Gravels, and a part of Lit-
tle Chelfea; but the royal palace, and about 20 other
houfes on the north fide of the road, are in the parifh of
St. Margaret, Weftmin-fter. At Earl's Court was the villa
of the late celebrated John Hunter, who here profecuted
his curious and xifeful experiments and di.fcoveries, and
whofe valuable mHfeum (which promifes to be of fuch .uti-
lity to the fcicnce of chirurgery) is about to be pnixhafed
by Parliament. After hk death, this houfe became the
rcfidence of the late John Bayne, Efq. &<? Kni^htjlnidge.

KENSINGTON PALACE, was the feat 'of Sir He-
neage Finch, afterward Earl of Nottingham, and was fold
by his fon (Daniel the fecond Earl) to Kin*' William, who
greatly improved it, and caufed a royal park to be made to
K, through Hyde Park. The gardens were originally only
26 acres. Queen Anne added 30 acre.5, which were laid
.out by her gardener, Mr. Wife; but the principal addition
was made by Queen Caroline, who took in near 300 acres
from Hyde .Park, which were laid out by Bridgmao; and
Q thev



146 KENSINGTON PALACE.

they have fince been much improved by Brown. They are
3 < miles in circumference ; and have, for many years part,
been a very iafliionable promenade.

The pal'u-t is a large irregular edifice of bru:k, b\nlt at
various times. The ftate apartments, which are very no-
ble, confiftof a fuit of 12 rooms. We fr, ft akend the
great flaircafe, in which are painted balconies, with the por-
traits of particular people, in groups; as Muftapha the
Turk, and Dlrick in a Polifli drels, bc,h pages to George I;
Peter the Wild h'oy, &c. by Kent. We then proceed through
the apartment* in' the following order; obfervmg, that all
the ceilings in the Hate-rooms are painted by that artiih

The Preface Chamber, in which the pictures are the Prm-
cefs of Wales and her family, Knapton ; three cartoon?,
bv Carlo Cignani, namely a Cupid, Jupiter and Europa,
and Jupiter; Prince Edward, Coates; two daughters of
Philip II of Spain, More.

The Privy Chamber: the piaures, a German Lady
with an Orrery and Dog, Parmegiano ; an Italian Lawyer,
Paris Bourdon'; St. William, Giorgione ; Duchels of \ a-
Icntia, Tannet; Wife Men's Offering, Luca Giordano;
a Man with a Crofs at his Bread, Giorgione; a Man
ihewine a Trick, ditto ; an Old Man looking up ; the
Duke of Savoy's Mother ; the late King of Pruflia, a
whole length; a Man with a Glafs in his Hand, Brugghm;
an Old Man with a gray Beard, Tmtoret; the Emprefs of
Ruffia, a whole length; the Duchefs of Portfmouth, \e-
i-elft ; her prefent Majefty's Sifter, Woge.

The gucen's Drawing-Room, hung with tapeitry, repre-
fentina a winter piece in Holland, Vandeibank, has Sir
Thomas More, Holbein ; a Man's Head, in a furred Gown,
Tintoret ; William Duke of Cumberland on Horfeback,
Wootton : and a Man's Head, Giorgione. ....

The Sjienfs Dining-Room has Giorgione's Head, by him-
felf- Tames IV of Scotland, his Brother Alexander, and
St Andrew, Mabufe ; Henry V; Richard III; a Man s
Head, Albert Durer; Henry VI ; Edward Vi ; a Man s
Head Queen of James IV, of Scotland, with St. George,
Mabufe Baflan's Head, by himfelf ; Emperor Maximilian
I- Philip the Fair; Henry VII ; Elizabeth, his Queen;-
l^uii XII of France ; Frincefs of Caftile j King of Arra-

gon ;



KENSINGTON PALACE. 147

gon ; his Queen ; Charles IX of France ; St. Matthew
called from the Receipt of Cuftom, Alb. Durer; Maximi-
lian Archduke of Auftria ; a young Man's Head; Dr. Li-
nacre, Founder of the College of Phyficians, Qnintin Maf-
fys ; Raphael's Head, by himfelf; a Virgin and Child, Sa-
butani ; Philip II of Spain, Jannet; a Dutch Merchant
and his Wife ; John de Bologna's Head.

The Queen 's Dr 'effing- Ream : Judith and Holoferres, Paul
Veronefe; Ruins and Figures, Bamboccio ; Windfor Caf-
tle, Wofterman ; four Views of Venice, Canaletti ; a Plun-
dering, Wouvermans; Departure of Charles II from Shiev-
Jing, Lingelbeck ; a Battle, Wouvermans ; Old Hampton
Court, Danckers; a Landfcape with Hawking; three
Landfcapes, namclv, Hauking, the managed Horfe, and
Fifherman, Wouvermans; aSkirmifh, $ercham ; a Land-
fcape, Avont ; an Alrarpiece, 'Alb. Durer ; Battle or For-
tv, Snyders; a Landfcape with Ruins, Paul Brill.
' The Siren's Gallery: Henry VIII; his Queen, Catha-
rine of Anagon ; Queen Elizabeth, in a Chinefe clrefs,
Zucchero ; James I, Vandyck; bis Queen, Vanfomer;
Charles II, Lely; James II, ditto; King William, Knelk-r;
Queen Mary, ditto; Queen Anne, after ditto ; George I,
after ditto; George II, Seman ; Queen Caroline, .ditto ;
the Emperor Charles VI, Kneller; Philip HI of Spain,
and his Queen, Valefque. Kneller was knighted for paint-



Online LibraryF. H. (Frank Herbert) HaywardAmbulator; or, A pocket companion in a tour round London, within the circuit of twenty-five miles: describing whatever is most remarkable for antiquity, grandeur, elegance, or rural beauty .. → online text (page 14 of 30)